Type keyword(s) to search

Schooled In The Media: All That

‘Schooled’ Gets Full-Season Order At ABC With Tom Hertz & Vanessa McCarthy As New Showrunners

ABC has given a Back 9 order to comedy series Schooled, bringing its sophomore run to a full-season 22 episodes. As part of the pickup, Tom Hertz and Vanessa McCarthy have been named new showrunners of The Goldbergs spinoff, from Sony TV Studios and ABC Studios. They replace Tim Doyle, who has left over creative differences.

Doyle joined as showrunner at the start of Season 2, replacing Marc Firek, who co-created Schooled with The Goldbergs creator Adam F. Goldberg and ran it during its freshman season.

• Love 1

I'm bummed it was canceled. I've been enjoying it much more than The Goldbergs. 

Spoiler for the last episode:

Spoiler

I'm now glad that they ended the show with Barry and Lainey breaking up, and hinted that she and CB will get together.

• Love 4

I’m surprised it lasted this long. They needed a professional voice actor like Patton  to do the exposition bits, and I never cared much for Lainey even on The Goldbergs. I hope they can do something with Coach Mellnor and Mr. Glasscott, though. I’d hate to lose those characters.

• Love 1
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

I’m surprised it lasted this long. They needed a professional voice actor like Patton  to do the exposition bits, and I never cared much for Lainey even on The Goldbergs. I hope they can do something with Coach Mellnor and Mr. Glasscott, though. I’d hate to lose those characters.

I had a feeling it would. The Barry/Lainey triangle killed it.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 1

I'm also disappointed.  I think this show had more to show us.  I will be looking out for Haneefah Wood, who played Wilma, elsewhere.  I'd be happy to see Mellor and Glascott back on "Goldbergs," although school storylines are really played out there with only Adam still there, so I'm not sure.  I guess this isn't the year to hope they'll book other pilots...

• Love 1

There is a place for an innocuous sitcom such as this that a family could watch together.  I enjoyed the nostalgia. It remained true to being a comedy which I really appreciated. The positive messages steered clear of being "very special episodes".  I'm sorry to see it go. 

• Love 8

Schooled, I liked, EXCEPT, WHEN....BARRY..... came to town....acting like a baffoon. ( I know he was an intern, but , STILL?, I would DEMAND ANOTHER DOCTOR! GROWN UP!).

YES, so tired of the GOLDBERGS!!! Especially how Beverly snoozes over the kids!!!! 

Should of EXPANDED Schooled & MAYBE Another show? ' It was in the 2000's, I had just gotten out of Grad school. My sister had here 7th child which BOTH GRANDMOTHERS , AGAIN, we're driving her and Jeff crazy what to make the kid... ( or really SHOCK THEM..).. ERICA divorced Jeff after the 1st pregnancy, takes off with that other friend, (Naked ????, or that STONER GUY - that never seems to graduate?)Go to OREGON, they were a part of the ground floor of a start up co. that made only natural p products- multi millionaires ( but won't fly home to PA because, well, polluting the air...so, Jeff 's mom never sees her GRAND TWINS OR JEFF who opened a dental clinic in the next town, because he CAN'T get over ERICA? Beverly, or course, flies to OREGON Beverly month, where she is HATED)..Adam is in CA making sucky commercials.... And BARRY? Well, he goes from hospital to hospital....malpractrice????

Yeah, I don't get why they kept Goldbergs or didn't go: "It will be the last season and we will give Schooled one more season." Rates and viewership for Goldbergs has been down this and last season. The only good news is we will get Coach back on Goldbergs.

• Love 4
On 5/22/2020 at 2:49 AM, ichbin said:

There is a place for an innocuous sitcom such as this that a family could watch together.  I enjoyed the nostalgia. It remained true to being a comedy which I really appreciated. The positive messages steered clear of being "very special episodes".  I'm sorry to see it go. 

I agree! It's tough to find a family friendly comedy these days that's just fun and entertaining to watch - no innuendos, no stressing about being too inappropriate for kids. The Goldbergs and Schooled have both been very good in this regard. I agree with others that Goldbergs has gotten tired and old - Schooled should have been given at least one more season to continue, especially now that Lainey and CB have gotten together. It would have made for so many interesting plotlines, and they could have extended the 90s nostalgia which has been very popular as of late! So many missed opportunities now 😞

• Love 5
On 5/21/2020 at 6:52 PM, mojoween said:

Fucking hell.  Schooled was so much better than The Goldbergs.

And both are so much better than the Connors which was renewed (and probably has a lot more expensive cast).  I’m pissed Single Parents got the axe, too.  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, geauxaway said:

And both are so much better than the Connors which was renewed (and probably has a lot more expensive cast).  I’m pissed Single Parents got the axe, too.  

Same here! I've been watching the Goldbergs/Modern Family/Schooled/Single Parents block for the past couple years and if I had to pick and choose which ones to renew it would not have been the Goldbergs. Modern Family had gotten tired too but at least it just ended like it should have.

I wonder if Schooled would have had better ratings if they brought back more of the other Goldbergs characters (not Barry). I would have liked to find out what Adam was up to, especially since we know he ends up becoming a showrunner. He was probably in college at this point - he could have come back to talk to the students about filmmaking or something. Or maybe Lainey could have run into Murray while furniture shopping. I didn't miss the OG show characters but I wonder if that's why some of the general public didn't stick around for the show. 

• Love 2

I think the mistake was focusing the show on Lainey. Was she really that popular on Goldbergs? I didn't dislike her but I wasn't dying for a spinoff about her. 

I do remember the original pilot, which was more centered about Glascott and his niece. It wasn't good, which might be why they brought in Lainey, but I think Glascott still would have been a better lead, they just had to drop the niece stuff and focused on him as principal trying to reign in his crazy staff instead of Lainey the washed up musician finding love with her dorky but adorable co-worker. 

• Love 1

So does this open up the possibility of Laney being back on The Goldbergs?

I always liked Laney. I never got her and Barry as a couple. But it'd be cool to have her back with Erica.

On 7/31/2020 at 9:54 PM, PumpkinLumpkin said:

Bryan Callen (Coach Mellor) Accused Of Multiple Rape & Sexual Misconduct Allegations

I guess that explains why he hasn't been on The Goldbergs this year, even though it's only two episodes in.  It's surprising, but he denies the allegations, so no judgements here.  I was surprised to read he was 53 years old, he doesn't look that old.