Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E10: The Thirteenth

• Start Topic

This episode was so boring. Nothing much really happened. The only good bit was Red asking for Nicky and their scene together with the doctor. Poor Red. What a great character she is.

Nicky is my favorite character and she's really carrying everyone's emotional burdens now, isn't she? Red, Lorna, Shani, etc. And it looks like Shani got her deportation date.

Polly sucks.

We saw the woman drinking the parsley soup in her bunk but what was it for? Sickness? Is that a home remedy to induce abortion?

• Love 8

I like Zelda, and being that this is the last season and the writers probably wanted some closure on Piper’s relationship with Larry and Polly, I understand her suggestion for Piper to call them.

In real life, however, this would be a horrible idea after everything that happened between them. The dinner was super awkward and I cringed the whole way through it. Sometimes you just have to accept that the bridge is burned and moved on. 

• Love 5
(edited)

The woman who keeps talking in K'iche (according to the subtitles) is Guatemalan.  Somebody in that room that speaks Spanish can understand her to a degree.  That BS is ridiculous.  Idiot writers to keep dragging this out. 

Nicky pissed me off by bawling about Red's diagnosis.  Yes, it's sad, Nicky, but YOU know where you are, who you are, etc.  Red needs you to be strong for her, not a sniveling mess that's only thinking about herself.  And yes again, Nicky is taking a lot of emotional weight right now, but she needs to buck up and be there for somebody else for a change. 

Apparently an open relationship DOES work for Piper and Alex, as they both seem to be getting what they need.  I like Stella.  And she appears to have plenty of money.  Go Piper!

Edited by leighdear

I don't know what to make of the Caputo plot. The accusations are clearly legit, but being a bad CO is also true. I kind of feel like this is more of a 'give them something to do plot' when Caputo actually doing something seems like enough plot. 

• Love 4
(edited)

This is breaking my heart. Red and Nicky were my faves from Day One. They don't deserve this. Nicky doesn't deserve to lose another 'mother.'

To add from above, K'iche is a Mayan language spoken by one million people in Guatemala.

Edited by ShortyMac
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5

The woman who keeps talking in K'iche (according to the subtitles) is Guatemalan.  Somebody in that room that speaks Spanish can understand her to a degree.  That BS is ridiculous.  Idiot writers to keep dragging this out. 

I don't  know. I had a client once who was injured while working at a car wash. Everyone else spoke Spanish (they were all from Mexico or other Central American countries) and they all thought he was just a drunk and they couldn't understand him. He did not speak Spanish but was from a rural village in Mexico that only spoke this Indian (don't know what to call what we would call Native American when it's not America the native is from, sorry) language. It took a while but we finally found an interpreter who figured this out and another who could translate.  So I could see that happening, someone in that situation.

• Love 2

I Nicky's case, I think it was one thing to suspect what was going on with Red...but another thing entirely to hear it. She saw Red as her mother. It really was heartbreaking.

I think that Fischer's accusations were blown out of proportion. She made it sound like he was absolutely disgusting. He never grabbed her or outright propositioned her. He flirted for sure. I just think the entire storyline with this was poorly written.

• Love 14

It is a real issue, so I guess that they figured they should include it at least once. Looking at the overall context of the show, the other guards are way way worse than Caputo, and given everything that's happened to him over the series (some of his own doing), it makes him look way worse than he already is. He's not a saint, but still.

I mean, flirting isn't acceptable at work and especially between supervisor/subordinate, but a main accusation was that he gave her the night off to see his band. He didn't force her to go. 

(It was Side Boob, but I know that's not the point right now.)

I know it's terrible, but Fig is the best - 'So what? You blackmailed me into a blowjob.'

• Love 8

The scene with Red and Nicky was heartbreaking.

Lorna holding that chicken :-(

How long has Piper been out? I don't understand her and Alex, couples are apart for lots of reasons, work, military, school, jail/prison and they stay faithful. What's going on with these two?

I would have never agreed to that dinner.

• Love 5

That scene with Nikky and Red broke my heart. I cried right along with her. 

I agree that Polly sucks. And I get that Piper cheated on Larry first—but wtf are they making it seem like Piper did something bad to Polly too? Am I forgetting something? Because from how I remember it, it’s Polly who really owes Piper the apology. She broke Girl Code 101. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

I agree that Polly sucks. And I get that Piper cheated on Larry first—but wtf are they making it seem like Piper did something bad to Polly too? Am I forgetting something? Because from how I remember it, it’s Polly who really owes Piper the apology. She broke Girl Code 101. 

I think Polly knows what she and Larry did was wrong. IIRC, Piper had Neri throw a burning bag of poop outside Polly’s house when she found out about the affair, and Polly responded by saying, “I deserved that.”

I think her clear reluctance to go to the dinner stemmed from understanding, perhaps more than Piper and Larry, that there are some things a friendship cannot recover from. She slept with her best friend’s fiancé while she was in prison, and is now having a child with him. For as much as Piper claims to have moved on and become a new person, that can’t not sting. Their friendship as it once was is over, and every future interaction is likely to be stained by bad history. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
31 minutes ago, ThatsDarling said:

I think Polly knows what she and Larry did was wrong. IIRC, Piper had Neri throw a burning bag of poop outside Polly’s house when she found out about the affair, and Polly responded by saying, “I deserved that.”

I think her clear reluctance to go to the dinner stemmed from understanding, perhaps more than Piper and Larry, that there are some things a friendship cannot recover from. She slept with her best friend’s fiancé while she was in prison, and is now having a child with him. For as much as Piper claims to have moved on and become a new person, that can’t not sting. Their friendship as it once was is over, and every future interaction is likely to be stained by bad history. 

That makes sense. And I completely and totally forgot about the flaming bag of poop. 🔥 💩 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ThatsDarling said:

I could have sworn we saw Polly walking with Piper outside of the restaurant where Piper was working in episode 1 or two?

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, jsm1125 said:

I could have sworn we saw Polly walking with Piper outside of the restaurant where Piper was working in episode 1 or two?

That was a flash back to pre-prison life (when they were making soap together - the two were carrying a bucket of lye) and Polly suggested eating at Thunder Thai’s and Piper turned her nose up at it because of dead bugs in the window - and in present day we see Piper wiping up dead flies on her lunch shift at the same restaurant. 

• Love 5

How much longer is Nikki in for? She's in on drug charges right? I can't keep any of the backstories straight anymore after like 100 of them over the years. It's just sad to think of what will become of REd when Nikki is released.

I can't stand the way the actress playing Piper's new fling talks without moving her mouth. I irrationally hate her over this.

Warning, Piper rant: This episode once again shows how spoiled Piper is. Heck this whole season does. Let's examine- she spends how much of her time sad she's not living the high life anymore which would be annoying in and of itself but she has so friggin much privilege it's ridiculous. Loses her job because she's always running off wherever she wants. Doesn't like the early release "rules" which for her are pretty minimal, she's not on tether and she has a pretty late curfew. Is given a cushy job by her daddy- yeah it's mindless but which is better, slinging fries and burgers or scanning in a comfy office? Acts like an entitled ass during said job, going so far as to steal from coworkers. Living rent free with her broke brother and can't bother doing jack to help out, then ends up spending her time loudly masterbating where the entire house can hear. Has been out of prison like 37 seconds and can't stand to be alone and stay faithful to the "love of her life" wife. Manages to find herself a sugar mama and therefore blow off work to hang with her because "daddy said I could." I can't imagine what she was like as a teen.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, queenbee24 said:

Doesn't like the early release "rules" which for her are pretty minimal, she's not on tether and she has a pretty late curfew.

To be fair, she has to pay $200 to the PO for every visit, and she couldn't work more lucrative later shifts due to curfew. Otherwise though, she could be a more diligent. You could work 5 or 6 jobs. 

• Love 1

Red and Nicky just broke my heart, that was just so terribly sad and there is no real good way this ends. Red and Nicky have been two of my favorites from day one, so this just hurts me so much. 

Wait, was that asshole ICE guy who helped Alex's alcoholic ex when she fell in the subway tunnel in the flashback?

I think the story with the woman who no one can understand is possible to happen. If people had resources or cared to investigate what she was saying that could probably find an interpreter or even just use an online translation App or website. Its just that no one in ICE cares to bother, even if I would think that at least some other woman there would at least rec recognize the language, even if she didn't speak it. It reminds me a bit of a case from a "lunatic asylum" in 1887 New York when an undercover reporter went into the place as an patient to see what it was like, and it was an absolute hellhole. One of the women she met there was a perfectly “sane” German woman who was only still in there because no one would get her an interpreter and she didn't speak English. This seems kind of like that.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, queenbee24 said:

How much longer is Nikki in for? She's in on drug charges right? I can't keep any of the backstories straight anymore after like 100 of them over the years. It's just sad to think of what will become of REd when Nikki is released.

Nicky originally had a five to ten year sentence for heroin possession and burglary, if it wasn't dropped; she might have gotten extra time for the heroin possession that got her sent to Max in Season 3 (which might have been forgiven since Luschek and Judy King got her out). She named Red in her statement to the Feds about the riot, so, she did not get charged for breaking in to the pharmacy and distributing narcotics. However, she may have gotten extra time because of getting sent back to Max after the riot. In 01x04, she said she had served almost three years. I would say by this point, she has served over four years. 

A bit long-winded. I hope that helps. I have been skimming through the series again.

• Useful 2

On 8/9/2019 at 11:52 AM, tennisgurl said:

It reminds me a bit of a case from a "lunatic asylum" in 1887 New York when an undercover reporter went into the place as an patient to see what it was like, and it was an absolute hellhole. One of the women she met there was a perfectly “sane” German woman who was only still in there because no one would get her an interpreter and she didn't speak English. This seems kind of like that.

That was Nellie Bly, who invented stunt journalism almost a century before it became a thing!  Her career is an entertaining story in its own right.

• Love 3
On 7/28/2019 at 11:41 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't know what to make of the Caputo plot. The accusations are clearly legit, but being a bad CO is also true. I kind of feel like this is more of a 'give them something to do plot' when Caputo actually doing something seems like enough plot. 

I don't understand why he has to resign from being a volunteer at the prison.  Is Caputo no longer allowed to have any job involving the prison because of the accusation?  And I thought he didn't fire her, so wtf?  Sure, Caputo wasn't great,he was an asshole many times.  but i'm getting the vibe that the writers want us to think of all the "good men" who are getting "unfairly swept up" in the MeToo movement and how we have to feel sorry for them, when really there are so many realy awful men out there who are still getting away with such behavior.

On 7/31/2019 at 8:33 PM, foxfreakinmulder said:

The scene with Red and Nicky was heartbreaking.

Lorna holding that chicken 😞

How long has Piper been out? I don't understand her and Alex, couples are apart for lots of reasons, work, military, school, jail/prison and they stay faithful. What's going on with these two?

I would have never agreed to that dinner.

Well, Piper hasn't cheated, yet at least.

On 8/4/2019 at 11:21 AM, ThatsDarling said:

So who was the baby that Larry and Polly were caring for?  I thought that was already their baby.

On 8/9/2019 at 9:14 AM, queenbee24 said:

I can't stand the way the actress playing Piper's new fling talks without moving her mouth. I irrationally hate her over this.

Warning, Piper rant: This episode once again shows how spoiled Piper is. Heck this whole season does. Let's examine- she spends how much of her time sad she's not living the high life anymore which would be annoying in and of itself but she has so friggin much privilege it's ridiculous. Loses her job because she's always running off wherever she wants. Doesn't like the early release "rules" which for her are pretty minimal, she's not on tether and she has a pretty late curfew. Is given a cushy job by her daddy- yeah it's mindless but which is better, slinging fries and burgers or scanning in a comfy office? Acts like an entitled ass during said job, going so far as to steal from coworkers. Living rent free with her broke brother and can't bother doing jack to help out, then ends up spending her time loudly masterbating where the entire house can hear. Has been out of prison like 37 seconds and can't stand to be alone and stay faithful to the "love of her life" wife. Manages to find herself a sugar mama and therefore blow off work to hang with her because "daddy said I could." I can't imagine what she was like as a teen.

I agree that Piper isn't perfect, but her life isn't all that great.  She can't get a real good job because no one outside of family would hire her due to prison.  Even with her dad, she's probably not getting paid much more than minimum wage, maybe $15 an hour.  And with her prior job, she wasn't just running off whenever she wanted, she asked her boss for one day off and agreed to pick up another co-worker's shift in exchange, and yes in addition to the afternoon off for the PO (which she can't miss).

As pointed out above, she does have some significant expenses with her PO, she's not allowed to do many things, like stay out past 10:00 p.m. or be around/drink alcohol.  She now has to go to NA meetings.  The lunch montage shows that she doesn't have a lot of extra money (has to brown bag lunch all the time), and she is not living 'rent free', her sister in law is charging her rent because the room could be rented out on air B&B.  and her sister in law has other fairly strict rules Piper has to follow to continue living there.

True, her actions in taking the tequila and cookie from her co-workers was bad and entitled.  and she apologized.  

I noticed Piper's dad had surveillance in the kitchen.  I thought he might also have surveillance in the offices, so he knows all too well that sometimes his employees knock off early when he has to leave in the afternoons.

On 7/28/2019 at 10:08 AM, TiredMe said:

That scene with Red and Nicky was heart breaking. Plus I really hope someone figures out what happened with the baby so they can get help for Lorna. 

I’m a few months late (just now getting around to watching), but I bawled during the Nicky/Red/Doctor scene.  Dementia runs in my family.  I know what’s in store for Red.

On 7/29/2019 at 1:37 AM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I don't  know. I had a client once who was injured while working at a car wash. Everyone else spoke Spanish (they were all from Mexico or other Central American countries) and they all thought he was just a drunk and they couldn't understand him. He did not speak Spanish but was from a rural village in Mexico that only spoke this Indian (don't know what to call what we would call Native American when it's not America the native is from, sorry) language. It took a while but we finally found an interpreter who figured this out and another who could translate.  So I could see that happening, someone in that situation.

I'm friends with a married couple who are from two different areas of Mexico.  They HAVE to speak English to each other because they don't understand each other's Spanish dialect. 

On 10/15/2019 at 8:17 AM, Hanahope said:

So who was the baby that Larry and Polly were caring for?  I thought that was already their baby.

Polly was pregnant in the first season (first ep?), she was married to someone else.  Cannot remember his name, sorry!