Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Exit Strategy

• Start Topic

Smurf orders the Cody boys to plan a dangerous job while she orchestrates an elaborate party at the house. J tries to ally himself with Pope, but learns he’s in way over his head. Craig responds to a challenge to his newly formed family with Renn.

Airing Tuesday, July 30, 2019

(edited)

Did Smurf actually see the gold? Or is she taking his "word" it's there after all these years. I have a feeling there is no gold!

Missing line from Smurf: "Oh Pope! By the way, you will be shooting at/robbing your uncle/cousins! Have a nice time baby!"

Olivia (with poor grades) can figure out J was involved with the theft but not her mom, the police or Arena security (even with all the evidence they left behind)?? Poor girl doesn't know who she is dealing with by trying to act tough. She would have been better off if the P.I. done her homework.

It seems the entire city knows about Smurf's business. 

Angela shows up, sees all these freeloaders, music and asks Craig "you guys are having a party?". Craig should have said "No! It's your imagination!" To be fair, the woman is on drugs!

Angela could have jumped out the window. 

Smurf gave Adrian the big kiss goodbye! Poor Deran! 

Craig hasn't seen the way Smurf handles her other grandchildren? Don't brag to her she's a grandma again! Keep that baby away!

I'm sure the great hostess Smurf put out fresh sheets for the two to have sex.

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5

Craig was so sweet tonight, hardened criminal that he is. Part of me thinks Craig could just settle down as though nothing ever happened - tall tales to tell his large brood of kids and grandkids when he’s an old man. He could run Deran’s bar after Deran and Adrian steal the survivalist guy’s gold, give everyone the slip, and run off to some beach without an extradition treaty. These are not spoilers because they’re just wishful thinking on my part.

• Love 11

I have doubts about the gold, too.  Even in the 70's, it took a lot of cash to accumulate a lot of gold.  Was he doing lots of firearms business to get that cash, or what?

Olivia is going about it the wrong way.  Forget the DA.  Tell those artists whose stuff and jewelry was stolen about the robbery.  Things would go a lot less smoothly for the Codys.

3 hours ago, mxc90 said:

"I knew it was you, Fredo.  You broke my heart!"

Smurf must have one helluva big property to be able to throw a party like that without any neighbor complaints.  Where did everyone park?

Deran:  Ever think of maybe getting that wound cleaned and dressed?

Adrian:  Excuse me, but smuggling large amounts of serious drugs is not "one little slipup."  Sorry bud, but you screwed yourself.

• Love 4
(edited)

I think Adrian spends a lot of time around criminals so he thought “how hard could it be?”.  The problem was the police arent actually after him.  If they were they would charge him and be done with it.   But because he spends so much time hanging around the criminal element they could hold on to him forever making him point out all the bad bad men he knows.  Which actually does put Deran in a bad spot.  He isn’t Baz who would ultimately chose the Cody’s regardless of how much of a monster Smurf is but then Pope isn’t the same guy he was season 1 either.  Would he actually kill his brothers boyfriend?    

It’s an interesting question.

i am curious to see Craig as a father.  Can a guy so full of hubris be a good father.  He would definitely need to safely proof the house and get the drugs out but honestly I don’t think Craig would be a horrible father if he could stay sober-ish.  But mostly keep the kid away from Smurf but since it’s a boy Smurf will be all over him.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

I'm actually kind of surprised the PD/DA/FBI haven't formed a Cody task force to bring them down.  Is there so much major crime in the San Diego area that the Codys fly under the radar with all their heists?  I don't think so. I think the agencies would be looking hard at everything that was reported, using informants, surveillance and wiretaps to catch them in the act(s).

• Love 8

Is the gold actually there? That's problem number one. The second how stupid could the survivalist be having been visited by Smurf recently that he would not consider her suspect one. Especially if they tunnel into the room where he says it was.

And yes how did Olivia's mom and others not consider Jay , grandson of Smurf  suspect number one.  Did Jay just set himself up to be hunted by an enraged stalker?

What's the gang going to do when Adrianne is taken care of and Angela is still informing.

Yes the police's job is to arrest and catch criminals. But someone really has it out for the Smurf gang. My guess Smurf really ticked off someone from her past or present and they've been giving tips, not necessarily working as informant.

Wonder if Julia's ex drug dealer will make it to the end of the season.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

I'm actually kind of surprised the PD/DA/FBI haven't formed a Cody task force to bring them down.  Is there so much major crime in the San Diego area that the Codys fly under the radar with all their heists?  I don't think so. I think the agencies would be looking hard at everything that was reported, using informants, surveillance and wiretaps to catch them in the act(s).

Well, Pope did go to prison for armed robbery. And Smurf was arrested and spent some time in jail.

I think that's about as much as the police have been able to stick it to the Codys. 

Things tend to happen to informants--or potential informants. Remember Cathy's family home, and eventually Cathy herself? And then the police tried to lean on the teacher who was having a relationship with underage Jay, but that backfired. 

But why was the sister so mad at Deran? It wasn't his fault Adrian started smuggling drugs in his surf equipment. Deran didn't even know about it. 

13 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Olivia (with poor grades) can figure out J was involved with the theft but not her mom, the police or Arena security (even with all the evidence they left behind)?? Poor girl doesn't know who she is dealing with by trying to act tough. She would have been better off if the P.I. done her homework.

And wasn't her dad the one who hired the PI? So wouldn't he know all about J? I would think the dad would turn him in even in Olivia didn't. 

I don't think J started college with the intention of robbing his classmates, but when the opportunity presented itself, he took it.  BTW, I don't know how old that actor is, but with that smooth baby face, he's still believable as a 19/20 year old. 

And J was right about Olivia being used to getting everything she wants and having everything going her way just because she asks for it. She has no idea who she's threatening. It was scary the way J's voice and eyes changed when he told her that. He was so calm and menacing. 

13 hours ago, mxc90 said:

10 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

"I knew it was you, Fredo.  You broke my heart!"

I was thinking the same thing!

"Handle it, or I'll get Pope to do it."   

So sad. 

Both for Deran and Adrian, and because Smurf only values Pope as an attack dog, not as her oldest son. Dang, Smurf was and still is a shitty mom. 

--I know she didn't intentionally get pregnant the first time, but why have two more children if she hates kids that much?

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Actually with Mexico and an endless amount of tunnels...San Diego and DEA DOES have that much going on with murders in HUGE numbers at any given time.

...a rogue family up in Oceanside? You’re seeing exactly how it’d be handled here with all our cutbacks...

although moving arms is different....but in small numbers like this doesn’t hit the radar

Edited by Shellbell59
Forgot one caveat
  • Love 3

Olivia is going about it the wrong way.  Forget the DA.  Tell those artists whose stuff and jewelry was stolen about the robbery.  Things would go a lot less smoothly for the Codys.

She can't prove it though. All her dad's PI dug up was that J's grandma and uncle were in jail. Easy enough to speculate the Codys were behind the arena robbery, but they have no evidence.

Adrian:  Excuse me, but smuggling large amounts of serious drugs is not "one little slipup."  Sorry bud, but you screwed yourself.

Agreed. I wasn't feeling his little pity party. Who's fault is it that he's in this mess? 

But mostly keep the kid away from Smurf but since it’s a boy Smurf will be all over him.

Well, Smurf's not long for this world so that shouldn't be an issue. I did like seeing Craig stand up to Fenn's mother. 

BTW, I don't know how old that actor is, but with that smooth baby face, he's still believable as a 19/20 year old. 29

Finn Cole is 22. Jake Weary is 29 and Ben Robson is 35. So J, Deran and Craig are all 7 years apart. Shawn Hatosy is 44.

It was scary the way J's voice and eyes changed when he told her that. He was so calm and menacing. 

I'm really unnerved by how dark J has turned over the last 2 seasons. I guess we saw hints of this back in Season 1 when he turned against that teacher but he's got two murders on his hands now. Even Craig hasn't killed 2 people (that we know of). I think the point is to show how much more he's like Smurf than even Pope in terms of being pure evil.

• Love 4

I'm confused about the bag full of money to the woman who was cooking for Smurf's party.  It seemed to be a 'thank you' for her son's previous work for Smurf/a gift for when he gets out of prison.  I didn't hear a name for this person - is it someone we've seen in the past?  My other guess is that Smurf is giving bonuses to the people who've assisted her now that she's dying.

I'm also curious about that bowlful of funky liquid that guy was mixing during the party.  It looked gross.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, patty1h said:

I'm confused about the bag full of money to the woman who was cooking for Smurf's party.  It seemed to be a 'thank you' for her son's previous work for Smurf/a gift for when he gets out of prison.  I didn't hear a name for this person - is it someone we've seen in the past?  My other guess is that Smurf is giving bonuses to the people who've assisted her now that she's dying.

I'm also curious about that bowlful of funky liquid that guy was mixing during the party.  It looked gross.

Yes. It did not look tasty. Or spiritual. It was possibly a cultural practice, but Ewwww.

All I could think was that I would not want to spend time with any of the people at that party. Except for the woman cooking the meat, they didn't look like they had 2 brain cells to rub together. I suppose they're Smurf's helpers and business associates, though they all looked very young. Does Smurf have any friends or associates her own age, or has she burned all of those bridges? 

• Love 1

I'm confused about the bag full of money to the woman who was cooking for Smurf's party.  It seemed to be a 'thank you' for her son's previous work for Smurf/a gift for when he gets out of prison.  I didn't hear a name for this person - is it someone we've seen in the past? 

I wondered that too but could not recall the character or her son.

Regarding the party guests - I can only guess the whole neighborhood shows up whenever there's a Cody party because they have a reputation for being pretty wild and drug-fueled. It does seem unlikely Smurf knows so many people that young. I think she just puts out the word and all the local party animals show up.

And they also managed to get a bare ass in there somehow. I swear this show has a minimum quota for bare asses every week.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, topanga said:

Yes. It did not look tasty. Or spiritual. It was possibly a cultural practice, but Ewwww.

It would be funny if we find out that guy is the deputy mayor or some high ranking city official. Now this jackass is on video pretending to be green arrow shooting arrows with fire at people and will be blamed if people get sick from his nasty sponge juice.

5 hours ago, topanga said:

All I could think was that I would not want to spend time with any of the people at that party. Except for the woman cooking the meat, they didn't look like they had 2 brain cells to rub together. I suppose they're Smurf's helpers and business associates, though they all looked very young. Does Smurf have any friends or associates her own age, or has she burned all of those bridges? 

The way Smurf leaves money lying around the house, she had to be missing a few grand after the party was over. Also, probably missing some tvs, sneakers, jet skis, a couch, and underwear.

I think Smurf had one friend but J put an abrupt end to that relationship! I don't believe Rose is one, she looked pissed being there cutting that meat and having to make Craig's favorite fish tacos (that he didn't bother stay to eat).

There was one guy with 3 brain cells. He tried to save Angela, failed and went back to partying!

If Craig only knew how Smurf shows "love" to her grandchildren’s parents...... he, Renn and the baby should be on the next flight out of town.

Why didn't Pope inform Angela she was fired while he was checking her for needle marks? Do one decent act for the woman! Now she's going to show up to work and be humiliated.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 2

At the time, I was thinking that drink was some form of kava, popular in the South Pacific.  The quote is from a Wiki article:

"Fijians commonly share a drink called grog made by pounding sun-dried kava root into a fine powder, straining and mixing it with cold water."

It does produce a mild sedative effect, and is used in cultural practices. However, when I was in Fiji, I tried a bit and to say it is an acquired taste is a huge understatement.  Then again, maybe the producers were just using that custom as a launching point for someone overindulging in some unnamed substance, as in the case at the Cody house.

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Easy enough to speculate the Codys were behind the arena robbery, but they have no evidence.

I'm thinking that some of the performers are not the type to be bothered by such trivialities as proof.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, topanga said:

Things tend to happen to informants--or potential informants. Remember Cathy's family home, and eventually Cathy herself? And then the police tried to lean on the teacher who was having a relationship with underage Jay, but that backfired. 

And J was right about Olivia being used to getting everything she wants and having everything going her way just because she asks for it. She has no idea who she's threatening. It was scary the way J's voice and eyes changed when he told her that. He was so calm and menacing. 

The way I remember it was the police had a drug charge on the teacher and the detective encouraged the rape of J by her so she would be used as a honey trap.

We have seen J cold before but not in an open threat. I wonder who lives the longest Olivia, Adrian or Angela?

• Love 2

Of course J was suspicious to Olivia. How did he not see that blackmail attempt coming? But the girl was way out of her element. Push come to shove J would kill her without missing a beat.

Adrian must be solidly in love with Deran to be willing to go prison instead of giving up the Codys.

Craig, you really should get a DNA test. I bet you're going to be meeting Renn's real baby daddy soon, after he's bonded with the baby.

Oh Deran. You knew it was coming. Do the right thing and kill Adrian yourself.

But then watch it turn out to be Angela's who's actually the snitch.

• Love 4

Even now, knocking on deaths door, Smurf still perks up when she hears how big her new grandson is, already thinking about the prospect of raising a new crew member. God that woman really is a piece of work. Even with Smurf dying, Craig and Renn should take that kid as far away from Smurf as possible. 

I think that Craig could actually be a decent dad if he walked away from crime and stayed sober for about five minutes in a row. He seems so happy with baby Nick, its honestly super sweet, and I loved him telling Renns awful mom to take a hike. 

Adrian is in big trouble and that really sucks for him, but I dont know why he or his sister are acting like this is Derans fault. He didn't tell him to smuggle drugs, he had no clue what he was up to! I dont think Deran can actually kill Adrian, I think they will try and skip town with a big sack of cash or some of the gold. Ideally anyway, that seems like too happy of an ending for this show honestly. But if Smurf does have Adrian killed, thats the last she will see of Deran. He already resents her so much for raising him and his brothers to be criminals, hurting the man he loves would be the last straw. 

You find out the guy your hooking up with is from a crime family and is probably playing a con on you and you...ask him to do your homework? Girl you so dumb Nikki would be judging you!

There are easier ways to make sure people keep clean Pope. I hate how Smurf talks about siccing Pope on people like an attack dog and not her own son. As scary as he can be, I just feel awful that his mother, the person who is supposed to love and protect you, has spent his whole life using and manipulating his mental illness for her own gain.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, topanga said:

And wasn't her dad the one who hired the PI? So wouldn't he know all about J? I would think the dad would turn him in even in Olivia didn't. 

She said it was her dad's PI, but I thought she hired him for herself.  I don't think her parents know what the PI dug up. 

8 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Craig, you really should get a DNA test. I bet you're going to be meeting Renn's real baby daddy soon, after he's bonded with the baby.

Oh Deran. You knew it was coming. Do the right thing and kill Adrian yourself.

But then watch it turn out to be Angela's who's actually the snitch.

I think the same thing is going to happen to Craig and it makes me kind of sad. 

I really think the snitch is Angela. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Adrian is in big trouble and that really sucks for him, but I dont know why he or his sister are acting like this is Derans fault. He didn't tell him to smuggle drugs, he had no clue what he was up to! I dont think Deran can actually kill Adrian, I think they will try and skip town with a big sack of cash or some of the gold. Ideally anyway, that seems like too happy of an ending for this show honestly. But if Smurf does have Adrian killed, thats the last she will see of Deran. He already resents her so much for raising him and his brothers to be criminals, hurting the man he loves would be the last straw

I agree, I don't think Deran has it in him to kill Adrian. Why kill him anyway, he said he will take the 15 years, being caught once, while the Cody's do all kinds of stuff, killings, robberies and etc. and they are still Free....which brings to mind, if the cops suspect the Cody's, than why are they not under watch? If they were, they would have caught them all by now.

Was that the "Kiss of Death" that Smurf gave Adrian? lol

That Julia 'insert' is a drag...she is of no importance to this story.

• Love 1

I'm thinking that some of the performers are not the type to be bothered by such trivialities as proof.

I suppose there were some dumb-asses in that party bus naive enough to think they could take on the Cody clan, but they'd be in over their heads. My money is on the Codys. (Exhibit A: Mia.)

19 hours ago, mxc90 said:

It would be funny if we find out that guy is the deputy mayor or some high ranking city official. Now this jackass is on video pretending to be green arrow shooting arrows with fire at people and will be blamed if people get sick from his nasty sponge juice.

The way Smurf leaves money lying around the house, she had to be missing a few grand after the party was over. Also, probably missing some tvs, sneakers, jet skis, a couch, and underwear.

I think Smurf had one friend but J put an abrupt end to that relationship! I don't believe Rose is one, she looked pissed being there cutting that meat and having to make Craig's favorite fish tacos (that he didn't bother stay to eat).

There was one guy with 3 brain cells. He tried to save Angela, failed and went back to partying!

If Craig only knew how Smurf shows "love" to her grandchildren’s parents...... he, Renn and the baby should be on the next flight out of town.

Why didn't Pope inform Angela she was fired while he was checking her for needle marks? Do one decent act for the woman! Now she's going to show up to work and be humiliated.

RE: Pope telling Angels she was fired....she was as high as the sky....doubt it would sink in...besides if she WASat all cognizant...when he questioned her about going to work..she knows terms and conditions of jobs on parole...she knew. The smack made her not care.

IMO...

32 minutes ago, Shellbell59 said:

RE: Pope telling Angels she was fired....she was as high as the sky....doubt it would sink in...besides if she WASat all cognizant...when he questioned her about going to work..she knows terms and conditions of jobs on parole...she knew. The smack made her not care.

IMO...

So J set Angela up to fail by taking her to the old neighborhood where her old dealer worked, smoking week around her, and giving her money. 

It was cruel, yes. But are we assuming she would have stayed clean for years had it not been for J's meddling? The next day, Smurf had a big party at the house with drugs all over the place. Wouldn't that have triggered her as well?

She was going to AA meetings (or was it NA), and I know one of the tenants of AA is avoiding old associates. And does she have a sponsor? Addicts are supposed to call their sponsor when they get in tough situations like that. 

And I'm suspicious of her as well--I think she's been talking to the police about the Codys. She asks too many questions. 

• Love 2

She was going to AA meetings (or was it NA), and I know one of the tenants of AA is avoiding old associates.

She said she was going to meetings, we don't know if that's true. I still wonder whether she is in fact working with the cops or the FBI or whoever. It's suspicious her old friend (?) asked how she got out so early, but I'm not sure it's going to pan out or end up meaning anything. The focus is on Adrian right now, we haven't seen any other signs that Angela is an informant. There are only 2 more episodes left (only 12 this season, according to IMDB).

• Love 2
On 7/31/2019 at 5:34 AM, geauxaway said:

I still think Renn is gonna ghost.   I actually was surprised she was still in the hospital room when Craig came for that last visit.  I was expecting the room to be empty.  

I agree... writers made a point with her dialog to mention baby had gone for some tests when Craig asked. (After he started nursing)

IF baby tests positive for ANYTHING...baby would be placed with CPS...she may run

leaving Smurf a new Cody boy to add to empire. A will to live maybe?

After all...it’s doubtful Deran or Pope will have children

• Love 1

That Julia 'insert' is a drag...she is of no importance to this story>>>>

Sorry, I meant Angela.

On 7/31/2019 at 6:28 AM, Chaos Theory said:

I think Adrian spends a lot of time around criminals so he thought “how hard could it be?”.  The problem was the police arent actually after him.  If they were they would charge him and be done with it.   But because he spends so much time hanging around the criminal element they could hold on to him forever making him point out all the bad bad men he knows.  Which actually does put Deran in a bad spot.  He isn’t Baz who would ultimately chose the Cody’s regardless of how much of a monster Smurf is but then Pope isn’t the same guy he was season 1 either.  Would he actually kill his brothers boyfriend?  

Everyone here seems to think that Adrian is going to get killed. According to him, he would rather take the 15 years than give the cops info on the Cody's. Why hasn't Deran informed Smurf about Adrian is taking the 15 years...he did not rat on them...so why kill him?

• Love 2
On 7/30/2019 at 11:06 PM, Dessert said:

Craig was so sweet tonight, hardened criminal that he is. Part of me thinks Craig could just settle down as though nothing ever happened - tall tales to tell his large brood of kids and grandkids when he’s an old man. He could run Deran’s bar after Deran and Adrian steal the survivalist guy’s gold, give everyone the slip, and run off to some beach without an extradition treaty. These are not spoilers because they’re just wishful thinking on my part.

I agree!  But I'm afraid we will both get our hearts broken because I see no happy endings on Animal Kingdom.  I think Renn might split, either with or without little Nick.  Also, there was a reason he was being sent for a test.  I think he's going to have some serious issues.  How awesome was Craig talking to her mom?!?

On an entirely different note: Who the hell are these people Smurf rents for these parties?  They are all her kids age or younger.  There wasn't a single person I spotted who was anywhere near her age and I was looking.  Besides Adrian (who's an obvious goner soon) I didn't even see the boys talking to anyone like they even knew these people.

Edited by SuzieQ
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, Novel8 said:

Everyone here seems to think that Adrian is going to get killed. According to him, he would rather take the 15 years than give the cops info on the Cody's. Why hasn't Deran informed Smurf about Adrian is taking the 15 years...he did not rat on them...so why kill him?

Honestly I don't know.  It would be beyond tragic for Deran regardless of who does the killing.  I don't think Deran will ever fully trust his family again if Adrian is killed off.  It would put a permanent strain on his relationship with Smurf and his brothers.   I think it is much more likely that Deran will send Adrian away which would put a different strain on him and his family but would keep Deran from crossing a line he will never come back from.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Novel8 said:

Deran can talk until he is blue in the face, Smurf's ex cop friend has already tagged Adrian as  a snitch. And she has all but called Pope in to deal with him.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Novel8 said:

According to him, he would rather take the 15 years than give the cops info on the Cody's.

That might change in a hurry once Adrian is sitting in D Block at Folsom, wondering which prison gang he should partner up with.

• Love 2

Deran can talk until he is blue in the face, Smurf's ex cop friend has already tagged Adrian as  a snitch. And she has all but called Pope in to deal with him.>>>

Where did u hear that? The last thing she said to Deran, 'either you handle it or I will give it to Pope to take care of it."

16 minutes ago, Novel8 said:

Deran can talk until he is blue in the face, Smurf's ex cop friend has already tagged Adrian as  a snitch. And she has all but called Pope in to deal with him.>>>

Where did u hear that? The last thing she said to Deran, 'either you handle it or I will give it to Pope to take care of it."

That pretty much gives Deran hours/minutes to handle it before Pope takes care of it.  That kiss she gave him meant he's history, IMO.

• Love 1

That might change in a hurry once Adrian is sitting in D Block at Folsom, wondering which prison gang he should partner up with.

Yeah, that's the problem with trying to convince Smurf that Adrian will never turn on the Codys. Going to jail isn't going to stop the cops from pressuring him to talk, and he'd be even more inclined to do so to lighten his sentence. At least that's how Smurf is going to see it.

I'm not sure how much of a threat he really is at this point, though. He has never been involved in any of the robberies and has no evidence other than testimony that he heard them planning something. That's not exactly rock-solid evidence coming from a prisoner trying to cut a deal for himself.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Novel8 said:

That Julia 'insert' is a drag...she is of no importance to this story>>>>

Sorry, I meant Angela.

I agree with you regarding Smurf knowing Adrian isn’t giving the Cody info....because Deran tells her

problem (especially after reading all the astute commentary..)

Would Smurf believe what Deran claims?the problem is....we still don’t know if Adrian will flow thru not snitching....Nobody knows...

Smurf won’t believe until her cop friend confirms the intel....at which point they help Adrian take off to Ulu Watu Bali...our best surfing location ever

then she’s going to figure it’s Angela...buh byeeeee Angela 

whether this happens or wishful thinking on my part I’m leaning towards my wishful thinking 🤔😬

Part of me is hoping that Pope's days of being Smurf's in-house hitman are over, after the Cath incident. Pope hates Smurf for that, and for the Lena situation, and I think he just might refuse a demand from her to kill Adrian.  That doesn't mean she won't get someone else to do it...

• Love 1