Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Know Thy Enemy

• Start Topic

J gains favor with Smurf as he puts together the plan for a new job, while Angela learns more about what Smurf’s been hiding. Craig explores his new relationship with Renn and Pope struggles with his changing role in the family.

Airing Tuesday, July 9, 2019.

(edited)

OK, so it totally melted my cold black heart seeing Craig put that crib together!

UPDATE:  I kind of hate Renn at the moment!

Edited by SuzieQ
  • Love 3

Angela totally made a deal to snitch on the Cody's, which is why she was trying to find where Smurf 's money is going before she sets her up. 

Poor Adrian, he came clean, but I'm sure he thinks he's lost Deran. But Deran attempting to cover for him with Pope was sweet. Although now he's on Popes radar.

Scariest moment: When Adrian closed that drawer and Pope was right there. I would have screamed like a little girl.

oh Craig, attempting to step up.My heart melted at him building a crib and then he went on about breast pumps!!

What the crap is Smurf doing? But now we know where she got the "baby" thing from.

• Love 4
(edited)

Now Angela is blaming Smurf for Julia's demise! Before it was Smurf blaming her. Can we get the truth!!??

When talking to J about the will, Angela had that crazed look in her eyes as if she was trying accelerate Smurf's cancer by sheer willpower. 

Now she's bringing a friend over. She has to go!

How does stealing all that equipment sound like an "easy" job?

I'm always "late to the party" but this week's falshback was annoying! Makes no sense for Pam to start hanging around them, bring her son and just rob them. I think Smurf and Colin set her up.

What is Smurf planning to do with the guns? Is she planning to hire a crew to rob the boys next week?

Adrian! Don't go back to Craig's house!

Meredith can't be that stupid to let J know/hang around sensitive credentials or not have them locked up.

Deran: He didn't lose his eye, he just can't see out of it! 
Craig: Same shit!

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
(edited)

Well-written episode, I thought. All 3 of the brothers had their hearts broken in different ways: Deran by Adrian leaving, Craig by Renn leaving, and Pope being told by Deran that he thinks of him as a soulless monster. (“I’m not you”). 

Edited by Shriekingeel
  • Love 6
(edited)

Despite everything I like Pope and Angela together unpopular opinion that it its.  So Angela thinks Smurf might be the cause of Julia's death which could explain why she insists on staying that and the early release could be that cop guy.   But then she really does like J and Pope so how much is she actually telling him?  

Deran and Adrian are being played as a tragic love story this season so I am not sure if he will survive the season or not.  I was surprised that Adrian survived the episode.

Poor Craig was actually trying with Renn.  

So young Smurf is pregnant with Pope and Julia.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Renn bailing is the best thing for her and her new kid, she doesn’t want that life for her kid I’m guessing!,  Deran is going to protect Adrian the best he knows how, until the heat gets to close and then it’s bye bye Adrian!!  What I want to know is Do u think smurf is on some kind of suicide mission, she ain’t gonna let Cancer kill her so maybe she pulling one last job to leave something more for her kids!!!

The flashbacks have to go, what purpose are they, except for learning what Smurf did at a young age

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Irishdad70 said:

Renn bailing is the best thing for her and her new kid, she doesn’t want that life for her kid I’m guessing!,

That kid is going to be just as screwed with coke dealer Renn for a mother. The best thing would be to put it up for adoption.

• Love 9
33 minutes ago, nekilarose said:

Angela totally made a deal to snitch on the Cody's, which is why she was trying to find where Smurf 's money is going before she sets her up. 

Poor Adrian, he came clean, but I'm sure he thinks he's lost Deran. But Deran attempting to cover for him with Pope was sweet. Although now he's on Popes radar.

Scariest moment: When Adrian closed that drawer and Pope was right there. I would have screamed like a little girl.

oh Craig, attempting to step up.My heart melted at him building a crib and then he went on about breast pumps!!

What the crap is Smurf doing? But now we know where she got the "baby" thing from.

Yes I agree she totally is snitching on the Cody’s, got a gun charge reduced by 6 yrs, yes totally cooperating w cops that’s why she needs to know where the money is, that’s proof the cops need, Adrian isn’t the only one talking, although he hasn’t said shit about the Cody’s cuz he loves Deran but now his life is in jeapody now that Pope knows!!!   What I want to know is what is Smurf up to know with all the guns, is she hiring a crew to get back at boys, IDK, she loves her family, maybe going after that Mexican crew that Mia is tied too

• Love 2

Poor Deran's heart is broken but he's determined not to face the reality of the situation. Adrian is looking a lot guiltier than he might actually be.

Wow, Angela was giddy about Smurf being on the verge of death. Does she honestly think she'll get  money out of it?

Why would the rich girl's mother not immediately suspect J if all of sudden there's a huge robbery of the concert? Or at least the police will suspect him. He arrived late to the party, as it were.

So was Smurf was right about Pam? Did game recognize game or did Smurf pay her to leave and then make her look shady?

J is smooth. He's biding his time, slowly taking over while Smurf is declining. Only Smurf seems to have caught a heavily armed second wind he doesn't know about.

Yeah, Angela must be an informant. But Adrian is probably the one who'll get killed by Pope for snitching because she's working Pope like pro with her feminine wiles. 🙄

• Love 7

Tensions are amounting...best episode yet and the acting .especially on Deran's part. He says, we'll try to find a way out of this mess. I don't see it...but who knows. Pope is concerned that Deran told Adrian about Colby....which he didn't.

Where did Smurf go for a few days as she said? Why is she so involved with another heist? Doesn't she see the futility of it? All the money she can get is not going to help with her cancer.

I am sick of the flashbacks, there is too much going on now with the group, that we have to be informed of the past.

It’s interesting that Smurf who is pure evil has sons who actually all portray a sense of humanism and emotion to a point.  

Smurf will probably end up having a Greys Anatomy miracle surgery that will cure her.   Do we know if it’s renewed yet?   I don’t know anyone who watches and when I mention it to people they have never heard of it.....but obviously it must be getting some viewers since it’s in its 4th season.  

• Love 2

I knew Colin was Pope & Julia's father! The way he wailed on that guy when viewers first saw him reminded me so much of Pope when he is in the zone.

Poor Deran and Adrian. Deran is terrified that Pope will find out about Adrian being used for info. He knows Pope would snuff Adrian out. I still think the snitch is Angela, otherwise why is she there wasting [my] time? I'm just surprised that Smurf hasn't suspected Angela as the snitch. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

I knew Colin was Pope & Julia's father! The way he wailed on that guy when viewers first saw him reminded me so much of Pope when he is in the zone.

If I could tell the guys apart, I'd probably agree with you. Especially because Smurf has been involved with more than one of them. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

If I had to guess I'd say Smurf is going after Pierce now that she knows he's the one trying to get info from an informant. Maybe she's trying to frame him with all those guns. That's the only thing I can think of.

What I want to know is Do u think smurf is on some kind of suicide mission, she ain’t gonna let Cancer kill her so maybe she pulling one last job to leave something more for her kids!!!

I don't think it's a suicide mission because she told her cop friend she'd be back in a few days and he'd better have better info for her. But I do think ultimately she plans to go out on her own terms.

However, over on reddit, some people seem to think Ellen Barkin is definitely out, largely because of political stuff she's been saying on her twitter account. Seems she thinks she's probably on her way out too because of they way the producers are being less forthcoming with her about the future developments for Smurf. Some also people say TNT has a poor history of their treatment of older actresses and might be looking either to ease Angela into the lead female position or concentrate more on J. I dunno, I just don't see how the show continues without Smurf.

Interesting. Ratings went up last season, they're down a bit this season but not alarmingly so, and steady. I agree it's going to be hard to continue the show without Smurf, maybe impossible. It just wouldn't be the same show, it would be more like a spin-off or sequel.

But I've said all season, I don't know why we're getting these Smurf flashbacks every single episode unless it's ultimately building up to her death.

• Love 3

If the show is in the process of writing out Smurf the Angela or Frankie is a good replacement for her.  It would bring parallels to the young Smurf storyline.   Women manipulating men with sex and simply bring more clever then they are.  

J may be the smart one of the testosterone crowd but honestly I don’t think he can lead the family.....or the show.

If the show is in the process of writing out Smurf the Angela or Frankie is a good replacement for her.  It would bring parallels to the young Smurf storyline. 

I'd have to respectfully disagree. The dynamic between Smurf and her boys cannot be replicated by an unrelated, younger woman. The power she holds over her sons is a weird, unique mixture of maternity and sexuality.  There's a reason she's the boss and a reason why her boys are trying to break free of her hold over them. 

Some young new thing just can't come in and start running things, she wouldn't have the same hold over the boys. Especially since one of them isn't susceptible to feminine wiles. 

I can imagine a scenario where some new woman gets the upper hand over the Cody boys but it would be an entirely different kind of story, and, I'm afraid, an inferior one.

• Love 16
(edited)

Am I the only one who thinks Smurf isn't going anywhere?  Even with cancer, they could drag it out a few more seasons.  I just hope when the time comes for it to end, they give it a real finale instead of just cancel and let people hang.  That always pisses me off.

Edited by SuzieQ
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, Novel8 said:

Tensions are amounting...best episode yet and the acting .especially on Deran's part. He says, we'll try to find a way out of this mess. I don't see it...but who knows. Pope is concerned that Deran told Adrian about Colby....which he didn't.

Where did Smurf go for a few days as she said? Why is she so involved with another heist? Doesn't she see the futility of it? All the money she can get is not going to help with her cancer.

I don’t think Smurf is excited about the heist. I think she’s playing Jay - setting him up.

The Deran/Adrian storyline is very compelling. I don’t see everyone making it out of this alive. Surely Adrian will be gone, but I won’t be surprised if another brother dies, as well. Jake Weary’s acting has been great!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Gurkel said:

If I could tell the guys apart, I'd probably agree with you. Especially because Smurf has been involved with more than one of them. 

I know! I don't mind Smurf: The Wonder Years flashbacks but I spend so much time trying to differentiate between the two dudes who look exactly alike I can't focus what bearded dude is up to. There may be a fourth guy but I can't say for sure.

Also, I thought the gang would have given her more grief for using them to wound her rapist and then reveal her face to the people they were robbing.

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'd have to respectfully disagree. The dynamic between Smurf and her boys cannot be replicated by an unrelated, younger woman. The power she holds over her sons is a weird, unique mixture of maternity and sexuality.  There's a reason she's the boss and a reason why her boys are trying to break free of her hold over them. 

Yes, and this is why I don't buy Smurf dying or Barkin leaving. The boys (minus J) have some kind of loyalty and bond; they may implode for a number of reasons after she's gone, but I think it's just as likely they'd do better without her. To me the crux of the drama is how she's polluted them from the start and it twists any of the good stuff.

And I also think the show wants to visit Smurf single-handedly destroying Julia. Wasn't that gold top she was wearing the one she took from Julia's drawer after Julia died?

• Love 2
17 hours ago, iMonrey said:

might be looking either to ease Angela into the lead female position

Oh God please NO!!  

As much as we aren't supposed to like the Smurf character, I don't think the show would be the same without her.  Ellen Barkin knocks it out of the park.

• Love 5

I  didn't take the young Smurf throwing up as she has the twins aboard but rather after playing with the sword that she disappeared Pam and her son. Not a revenge murder as we have seen from her before but taking out a child for business and not having another woman around.

I think after Adrian is gone that there will be a brief relaxation before we focus on Angela as a police CI. Maybe in the season finale 

I figured Smurf was pregnant with the twins and her comment to the guys about what kind of mother would allow her kid around a bunch of thieves is gonna bite her in the ass (or at least prove her to be a huge hypocrite).

As for Smurf taking off in that stolen vehicle.  I figure it’s just Smurf’s version of her bucket list.  She’s gonna go on a robbery spree and collateral damage be damned.  She gets off on these hits, we’ve seen that before.  So while a normal person would take a luxury trip to Europe or whatever, Smurf goes out in a blaze of glory.  It’s what fulfills her. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’m worried for Adrian.  I can’t stand skanky snake Angela.  I think Renn is gonna ghost the baby with Craig.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Dessert said:

The Deran/Adrian storyline is very compelling. I don’t see everyone making it out of this alive. Surely Adrian will be gone, but I won’t be surprised if another brother dies, as well. Jake Weary’s acting has been great!

Jake has really upped his game in the last 2 episodes!

• Love 1

The boys (minus J) have some kind of loyalty and bond; they may implode for a number of reasons after she's gone, but I think it's just as likely they'd do better without her. 

I don't know, she has pulled their asses out of the fire more than once. I think J is smart enough to take her place but I don't know that his uncles are ready to be ordered around by him. In fact I think we are already seeing the consequences of the boys trying to pull away from Smurf and do jobs on their own. They seem to keep going sideways like the two jobs Craig has done with Frankie. 

As for Smurf taking off in that stolen vehicle.  I figure it’s just Smurf’s version of her bucket list.  She’s gonna go on a robbery spree and collateral damage be damned.  She gets off on these hits, we’ve seen that before.  So while a normal person would take a luxury trip to Europe or whatever, Smurf goes out in a blaze of glory

She wouldn't need that cache of guns for a robbery spree. I can't think of what she would need them for unless she plans to plant them somewhere and frame someone. 

• Love 1
On 7/11/2019 at 11:18 AM, geauxaway said:

I figured Smurf was pregnant with the twins and her comment to the guys about what kind of mother would allow her kid around a bunch of thieves is gonna bite her in the ass (or at least prove her to be a huge hypocrite).

As for Smurf taking off in that stolen vehicle.  I figure it’s just Smurf’s version of her bucket list.  She’s gonna go on a robbery spree and collateral damage be damned.  She gets off on these hits, we’ve seen that before.  So while a normal person would take a luxury trip to Europe or whatever, Smurf goes out in a blaze of glory.  It’s what fulfills her. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’m worried for Adrian.  I can’t stand skanky snake Angela.  I think Renn is gonna ghost the baby with Craig.

I think Renn gets rid of baby too!! Adrian is dead for sure, but not by Deran, Pope finds out and Adrian prob gets taken out by being in wrong place at wrong time

I think Smurf may be paying a visit to that cop who was tipping her off, or she going on a robbery heist and going out in a blaze of glory 

• Love 1

I think Renn is gonna ghost the baby with Craig.

Oh Dear God I can't think of anything more horrific than Craig raising a baby. Even Pope would be a better father. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3