Type keyword(s) to search

Almost Royal - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

re: Ep 4

I actually thought playing the improv striaght man moments by both in the improv show were hilarious.   The woman was incredibly bad.  I have to wonder without the Carltons what kind of show would normally happen.  I'm guessing not very funny.

They were SO much better than the Improv troop.  If I were that troop seeing this on TV later on I'd be deeply embarrassed.  These two come in and IN CHARACTER do a layered complex ongoing improv that sets them up as your straightmen, where they're a dozen times funnier than you doing more overtly obvious comedy.  it was like they were the master class showing these amateurs how to do it.

In the past I've said Poppy is the better of the two (and overall I still think that), but in that Improv theater Georgie had all these great moments where he totally mousetrapped them into looking like fools.  No, that's not the right phrase.  Decent comedians could have picked up the threads he left hanging quite easily--they made fools of themselves, he didn't do it to them.

re: Ep 5:

Why did it take me until Episode 5 (which I just started watching) to notice that Georgie and Poppy's precedence to the throne keeps changing every episode?  In Ep 5 it's 98th and 99th in line. Ep 4 I deleted, but I could swear it was in the 70s.  Eps. 2 and 3, I wasn't really paying attention, but I know for sure in Ep. 1 it was 50th and 51st.

Ep.5 is pretty funny. The rap battle was great (especially Georgie's stuff), and the ridiculousness in the garage is Poppy's triumph. Poor Kevin was totally her comedy target--he totally didn't know what to do with her super-awkward flirting. The ballet studio was an amusing bit of nothing that could have been placed anywhere, but the ending piece at the local wrestling show was pretty hilarious.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

Why did it take me until Episode 5 (which I just started watching) to notice that Georgie and Poppy's precedence to the throne keeps changing every episode?  In Ep 5 it's 98th and 99th in line. Ep 4 I deleted, but I could swear it was in the 70s.  Eps. 2 and 3, I wasn't really paying attention, but I know for sure in Ep. 1 it was 50th and 51st.

Ep.5 is pretty funny. The rap battle was great (especially Georgie's stuff), and the ridiculousness in the garage is Poppy's triumph. Poor Kevin was totally her comedy target--he totally didn't know what to do with her super-awkward flirting. The ballet studio was an amusing bit of nothing that could have been placed anywhere, but the ending piece at the local wrestling show was pretty hilarious.

I'd noticed the change in their standings for the throne in the third and fourth eps, but then read an article which referenced their status in the first ep, so I was confused. Now that I know, I'm going to be paying attention and having a quiet giggle.

Poppy's flirting with poor Kevin was hilarious. He tried so hard to stay off camera, but the job got in the way.... Kromm, yeah, the wrestling was fantastic. I liked the juxtaposition between that and the NYC improv show. It's too bad we can't see more of Georgie and Poppy up with people who can stand up to their wit. Okay, I know why we can't, I just don't think it detracts from the overall theme of the show when the subjects are able to participate in the give-and-take.

I kept feeling like the show was mocking Detroit's really dire situation, which hampered my enjoyment. I much prefer it when the show is mocking George and Poppy. But the rap battle was great, as was Poppy and her "belted dress" at the garage. (I love the way the camera always catches her posing.) And the wrestling was great -- I cheered when Poppy slapped the guy.

I kept feeling like the show was mocking Detroit's really dire situation, which hampered my enjoyment. I much prefer it when the show is mocking George and Poppy. But the rap battle was great, as was Poppy and her "belted dress" at the garage. (I love the way the camera always catches her posing.) And the wrestling was great -- I cheered when Poppy slapped the guy.

There really isn't a good spin you can put on Detroit's current situation.  I mean it's a city that's more desolate than New Orleans, without the excuse of a Hurricane and Flooding.  

They could have had the Mayor of the City spouting garbage propaganda to what he'd think was a BBC film crew, or something like that, or shown a few tourist attractions, but it would have seemed kind of fake.  The BBC DID apparently do a documentary in Detroit, which recently aired, and so may have filmed at the same time and shared some resources with this shoot. So that might explain why they shot there in the first place.

Actually I kind of like that they've stayed away from things that are too overtly "touristy" in the places they've been. It makes the whole thing seem a bit more grounded, even if it IS a mockumentary.  

• Love 3

I was surprised when my British friend "spit feathers" about this show.  She thinks Poppy and Georgie are pretentious and horrible.

In agreement with above posts, I don't find them mean or condescending.   "Droll" is the perfect word, Kroll.

And something I else I enjoy is that, IF the Americans are unaware of the whole setup, their response is commendable as well--good natured and respectful.

Most refreshing.

Does anybody know WHY she asked each of the fake soldiers if they'd traveled far?  I was entertained but I wasn't sure if she was going for a particular parody.  I do think she is very funny and took the accusation that the Tea Party had fallen down on the job for not serving actual tea as being a little jab at them so I kind of like her. 

I love Poppy, or rather, Amy. I think her deadpan delivery is bang on and this show wouldn't be as funny with anyone else. She cracks me up like crazy!

I love how she sort of waits quietly on the side as Georgie rambles on and then chimes in with some of the funniest lines.

The speech he gave at the Tea Party meeting made me laugh so hard I started crying. I wish they'd have shown the whole thing. I loved watching the crowd looking baffled and politely tormented.

The speech he gave at the Tea Party meeting made me laugh so hard I started crying. I wish they'd have shown the whole thing. I loved watching the crowd looking baffled and politely tormented.

I loved the idea of him making the nonsensical speech, but I thought it went on a bit too long.  The looks on the audience members faces were the funniest part of the speech.  They were rather polite to sit through it.  Poppy starting off the Q&A session with "Do you like Barack Obama?" was the funniest part of that segment, to me, along with them both being indignant over not being served tea at a Tea Party. 

I love this show.  This is  funniest thing on TV right now.  I love how they pretend that terms like "selfie" and "touch up" mean something different and dirty in the UK. 

I especially loved the Paul Revere segment, ("He's like a school with skin!"  "The British are leaving", Paul Revere was a "snitch".) the taxidermy and cattle auction in Texas and the celebrity homes tour in Hollywood and their interaction with the Bold and the Beautiful actress, when Georgie talked about the stage kissing making you "want to make a baby".  I also loved how they annoyed the self important, tree hugging barista in NYC. "Are you good enough to work at Starbucks?"    

Their frequent mentions of Rick Moranis is hilariously random. Love it.

Yes, and don't forget "The Rock". :)

The Texas episode started out really weak.  But then when the taxidermist started talking about animals going into rut and Poppy burbles 'I had that once' followed by the reactions of the two guys was hilarious.   It is these real moments of unexpected deliberate confusion that make this show work for me.

Did Poppy say "I had that once" or "I have that once a month"?

Does anybody know WHY she asked each of the fake soldiers if they'd traveled far?  I was entertained but I wasn't sure if she was going for a particular parody.

@MDKNIGHT, I believe that is one of the fall-back conversational gambits of the royal family, when they are meeting the public and have absolutely no idea what to say to them.  Another common question is, "Have you been waiting long?"

At the very least, I've decided that in the future I will at least give a chance to any project Amy Hoggart is in.  Hopefully she gets a lot more work based on this (although it may not help that the main viewing audience for this is in the US and her main pool of employers is in the UK).

• Love 3

"Georgie' is so good at the deadpan delivery.  When he was in the radio station during last night's (Nashville) episode and talked about how he was 50th in line for the throne and if all 49 of the others were in a bus and if that bus went off a cliff he would be king (and then said that if he was driving that bus, then Poppy would be queen).  You could hear the guys in the studio just cracking up.  He was funny!

• Love 1

I loved a line of Poppy's during the Nashville episode, but I'm not sure when I could actually use it in real life:  'I've never oiled a man in a coffin before'.  

(It was when Georgie was fussing about how long it was taking her to get ready for filming- they were making the music video, but I'm not sure if she said it in the actual episode or in the 'making of' extended segment on the BBC site.  Either way, it was funny.)

• Love 1

I have to say that I just LOVE this show! Its hysterical! Please bring it back for more...I love when Poppy makes slight little digs at the royal family, and she has the sly little look on her face. Cracks me up every time.

• Love 2

Just discovered this show on onDemand and making a marathon of it. It's hilarious. I noticed the changing standing in the second episode and thought it fluctuated with births and those who had passed on, sort of a precedence ticker... Felt really goofy when it dawned on me that none of it was real. This is real entertainment. God save the Queen!

• Love 3

Almost Royal got nominated for a "Streamy" Award for their visits to YouTube.

http://www.streamys.org/nominees-winners/4th-annual-nominees-winners/ (under "Companion", which seems to mean something supporting a show from another medium)

I assumed it was a single video until I clicked on the link.  It's a whole series of them:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvMGq_h9khwWfWCgORMU6aOR2YP2GdIrH

There's actually some damn funny stuff there that's entirely the equivalent to what we got on the actual series.

• Love 2

It's finally started airing in the UK! Hooray!

I thought it's been airing in the UK for the past month.

I will say that it says something not so pleasant about the BBC's snooty attitude about American productions that a BBC America show had to air on E4 instead of on a BBC channel.

I will say it also is annoying the angle the UK ads for the show take--that it's about "fooling the Yanks" (which... it isn't really... most of the Americans who are on the show don't seem to CARE that they're "Royal"--they care more that they're BRITISH).

Edited by Kromm

Hee.  Another jem I missed until now (even though its been out there forever).

They did a fake Graham Norton Show interview IN CHARACTER.

Hilarious.

It's 90% Poppy (which means it's genius).

I thought it's been airing in the UK for the past month.

I will say that it says something not so pleasant about the BBC's snooty attitude about American productions that a BBC America show had to air on E4 instead of on a BBC channel.

I will say it also is annoying the angle the UK ads for the show take--that it's about "fooling the Yanks" (which... it isn't really... most of the Americans who are on the show don't seem to CARE that they're "Royal"--they care more that they're BRITISH).

It started airing here a few weeks ago.

I doubt it's got anything to do with the BBC being "snooty" about American shows, as they air lots of US shows and they also air BBCA's Orphan Black. They either just didn't think this show was quite the right fit for them (or the production didn't think the BBC was the right choice for them), or E4 put in a higher/earlier/better offer, or possibly had some prior relationship with the production or talent. There's no reason a BBCA show would automatically air on the BBC.

Edited by Eozostrodon

They ran the first two episodes last night. The themes were about beauty, a drag show, RV parks, and an alligator rescue site in Florida. I was worried that this show might hit a sophomore slump, but I couldn't stop laughing.

Edited by Surrealist

I was so happily surprised that my DVR recorded this!  So good to see Georgie & Poppy again.  The mermaid tank was fantastic.

There are so many great lines on this show. It's one of few shows that's ever made me laugh almost nonstop.

"Georgie' is so good at the deadpan delivery.  When he was in the radio station during last night's (Nashville) episode and talked about how he was 50th in line for the throne and if all 49 of the others were in a bus and if that bus went off a cliff he would be king (and then said that if he was driving that bus, then Poppy would be queen).  You could hear the guys in the studio just cracking up.  He was funny!

I actually think that was one of his more overt "trying to be funny" lines, where mostly it's supposed to come off like an accident. It WAS funny, but for a slightly different reason than why most of what he says is funny.

We shall see what they do with him in the currently airing Season 2. I think (so far based on two episodes) he's being played as slightly less dim and a bit more droll, but that's a real subjective judgment. 

I guess it's kind of like what Sasha Baron Cohen did with his characters except no celebrity interviews like the ones Ali G got back in the day.

And they don't try to provoke extreme responses like Bruno baiting the homophobic rednecks.

They have a dry delivery, especially Poppy, making these snide asides, which most of the people they "interview" don't get.

• Love 2

I always enjoy the ridiculousness that Georgie and Poppy get up to. The hostess of the cute baby contest was oblivious, thinking that Poppy had called herself "Pompei." For the bit with the drag queens, I had to rewind that one a couple times. I think I was hoping for something along the lines of something Jason Isaacs said in the behind-the-scenes commentaries for Sweet November, paraphrasing here, about how his character in the movie allowed him to fulfill a dream held by many British boys, and wear a sparkly dress.

When Poppy came back to the room and saw Georgie, I'd be willing to bet that we saw Amy reacting with the full-out laugh of amazement.

• Love 1

" Can I catch a disease from this? Because I've heard of gator AIDS."

I continue to love this show -- particularly because it's not mean-spirited. To the extent they're mocking anyone, it's their own characters. The people they interact with are just shown as nothing but kind and patient.

• Love 1

" Can I catch a disease from this? Because I've heard of gator AIDS."

I continue to love this show -- particularly because it's not mean-spirited. To the extent they're mocking anyone, it's their own characters. The people they interact with are just shown as nothing but kind and patient.

To be clear, they can sometimes say rude stuff to people on this show, but on the occasions when they do so, it's always played as Poppy and Georgie being the fools when they do so.  And it IS as fools specifically. The rudeness is played as stupidity, not malice.

• Love 1

Watching the sports episode and trying to drink the morning coffee is not a safe combo.  The quidditch. My god the quidditch.  The only way that could have been funnier is if they somehow got Dennis Rod Man to go along.

I feel that way about every episode. I'm American and this show makes me constantly laugh. Also, it makes me embarrassed by some of the folks living in the US. Lol.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

Zombie Apocalypse LARPers need to meet the Quidditch LARPers from last week (I consider them as such more than a sport).  The two different and yet all too similar chaotic approaches would be heaven to watch come together. 

I'm starting to do a quick google now so I am be rest assured that such lunacy is not solely in the US.  I've found groups doing similar or just as bad in their own unique way types of recreation.  The mind boggles.  I guess it is nice they are socializing, but it makes me wonder what is wrong with some (plenty) of 'me' time and a good book? 

Poppy's shrillness really seems to oddly sell the bits to the people they are interacting with. 

The space simulation was so incredibly weird for me.  I think because at first I thought it was more matter of fact.  And yet in the end it was downright silly to me.  When the survivalists seem to actually have the most common sense approach of all the groups, its a funny show. 

The law and order one wasn't as funny but the YouTube Sensation I had never heard of came on either the second or third time, I did find him amusing. He really seemed rather dense by the end.  Ironic that his success is a social indictment if he is famous for making videos about breaking the law (I did not quite figure that out except he was their expert and apparently based on his own doings).

• Love 1

Thanks to you all, I've been discovering this show after reading about season 1 and watching it all in two days (it was raining, I was happy to be lazy) - and how much fun that was! Just thought I'd drop this quick note so that you know that your input has this kind of impact and is greatly appreciated :)

• Love 1