Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, rhofmovalley said:

Or a "mirra".  The word mirror does not end in the letter "a".  Nor does it even have an "a" in it at all.

Got to come to the defense of that accent as someone who has the slightest trace of a Brooklyn accent. 🤣 It is very faint and most people can't detect the borough of my origins but I don't pronounce the "or" so it is indeed mirra and harra (not horror). I am sure there are some others in there that a linguist could pick up as well. However I don't pronounce ideas as ideers 🤣

1 hour ago, amarante said:

🤣

Edited by amarante
On 12/1/2022 at 6:13 PM, NoodlePony said:

I absolutely loved the couple looking for a home in Scottsdale, Keenan and his wife. So many couples on this show are so dry and seem like they don't even like each other, these two actually seemed like friends. I liked their ribbing of each other, it kept the episode interesting. 

I’m watching that now and I love them too. There was a moment when they were driving up to one of the houses where he said “You know what? I’m really excited about living in Phoenix” and I thought that was really sweet.

I liked that he pointed out how the island in the kitchen in the first place was positioned inefficiently - as someone who cooks, I’m always looking at kitchens for that efficiency. A lot of updated kitchens are fashion over function, which is annoying.

The second house, I was with him on the wallpaper. Seems like the grass of the 2nd house would be a pain to maintain in Phoenix.

Aww, they’re crying together! I love them.

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
On 11/25/2022 at 10:33 PM, Grizzly said:

San Diego. That first house was really cute. And I liked that she liked all the character. As a single woman, I'm not sure why she needs so much space. The condo seemed like a good deal. Would she have wanted to replace both bathrooms if dad hadn't said anything? House with garage was OK. Is she running a guest house? Always worrying about guest baths. Can't believe she had to pay that much more. And spending to add that loft?! She must be a good financial planner.

My pet peeve comments from people on this show looking at homes:

1) "We can have coffee in the morning" on a deck, balcony or patio. How many of these people actually sit outside in the morning before getting ready for work to have coffee?

2) "We need extra rooms for guests" How many of these people are actually having so many overnight guests that they need extra space for them? Ever heard of a hotel?

3) "This place is a total gut job" when maybe the only thing that might need updating are counter tops and cabinetry in a kitchen or a new shower and a vanity.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

1) "We can have coffee in the morning" on a deck, balcony or patio. How many of these people actually sit outside in the morning before getting ready for work to have coffee?

Maybe on days they don't work?
For me, that is every day!  One of the benefits of retirement - I begin every day with an hour of fresh air.  I head out to my (covered) patio in my PJs (with additional layers as required).  Hunker down in the comfy Adirondack chair with a few treasured companions - coffee, newspaper (old-school print), and the birds.  A habit I started in March 2020, when the world closed in on us.  Its a great tonic.

Edited by kirklandia
  • Like 2
  • Applause 8
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, kirklandia said:

For me, that is every day!  One of the benefits of retirement - I begin every day with an hour of fresh air.  I head out to my (covered) patio in my PJs (with additional layers as required).  Hunker down in the comfy Adirondack chair with a few treasured companions - coffee, newspaper (old-school print), and the birds.  A habit I started in March 2020, when the world closed in on us.  Its a great tonic.

I don’t doubt that some people actually do have their morning coffee outside…my beef is with almost every other couple looking at homes make this remark.. so much so that it almost seems scripted. They need to come up with a new line for these people.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

I don’t doubt that some people actually do have their morning coffee outside…my beef is with almost every other couple looking at homes make this remark.. so much so that it almost seems scripted. They need to come up with a new line for these people.

Having some sambuca after a nooner? A nice ginger ale to end the day sounds good to me. I can never eat or drink in the morning. 

Edited by Grrarrggh
13 hours ago, kirklandia said:

I have a friend who works but gets up really early to have coffee and read. He doesn’t have outdoor space and lives in a cold climate, but he prioritizes relaxing a bit in the morning. If and when he has outdoor space, he’ll totally spend that morning time in it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Chattanooga,  TN. Nice family. House #1 is a good size but that needed too much work. #2 felt a little small. There was no reason for her to change the fixtures. #3 is the compromise and I think they should pick it. Lots of space with few projects. I guess they're not afraid of some work.

• Like 2

I noticed they seem to be doing better with the decoy houses on some episodes. There have been a number of episodes where all three houses were empty so it wasn't a dead giveaway which house was the one they'd already purchased. And it wasn't always glaringly obvious as none of them were completely unrealistic options. I find those episodes to be more fun as I try to guess which one they'd chosen.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
On 12/5/2022 at 9:46 PM, Grrarrggh said:

My pet peeves: saying that one room has "flow", and obsessing over natural light. Oh and calling everything cute. I don't think most people know what the actual definition of the words cute or flow are. 

Right? Another one that's annoying: "We want to "expand" our family"...How about just saying "We are looking to have more kids". Maybe it's just me but I find the use of the word "expand" kind of clinical and business like. 

• Love 3

I wasn't feeling well at all yesterday. So I got my chores done, ordered a pizza and settled in for an evening of House Hunters back to back episodes. And what did I get? Some hours long lame holiday program!

I did not watch. I can't stand holiday drivel. 

I demand my HH back!

• Love 4

I saw the Seattle episode with Rainbow Brite Bee girl. I was like wth, she cannot be real. The house she chose, no way. Plus, I just went on Realtor.com, and there are now nicer 4 bedroom homes in Seattle for lower list prices. Not sure of the areas, but quite a few had just as nice backyards.

Then, I did some internet sleuthing. Yeah, she had to be putting on an act. She has worked consistently since graduating from UW (magma cum laude), about 7 or 8 years ago. She is currently a director at one nonprofit, for about two years. None of the positions listed line up with anyone who is so quirky and childlike.  Total bs storyline.

• Useful 3
11 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

Right? Another one that's annoying: "We want to "expand" our family"...How about just saying "We are looking to have more kids". Maybe it's just me but I find the use of the word "expand" kind of clinical and business like. 

Or that they want either really obese children or are going to experiment with helium. Maybe a mix of both. 

3 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

Then, I did some internet sleuthing. Yeah, she had to be putting on an act. She has worked consistently since graduating from UW (magma cum laude), about 7 or 8 years ago. She is currently a director at one nonprofit, for about two years. None of the positions listed line up with anyone who is so quirky and childlike.  Total bs storyline.

She said she worked at a non-profit. Why can't successful people be quirky and optimistic? I think those two things would be almost requirements for good non-profit leaders. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Or that they want either really obese children or are going to experiment with helium. Maybe a mix of both. 

She said she worked at a non-profit. Why can't successful people be quirky and optimistic? I think those two things would be almost requirements for good non-profit leaders. 

Yes I am not understanding this either.

Someone who has graduated magna cum laude would have a lot of job possibilities and selecting a non profit would probably provide a much looser work environment as well as being in line with her ethics. Obviously there are stodgy conservative non-profit organizations but I would imagine in Seattle there would be more that would be relaxed in terms of dress codes.

Professions don't necessarily define how people look. I am an attorney - graduated from a very prestigious law school but worked at a record company for many years where it was perfectly fine for me to have "rock star" type of hair. My prior job was at a Wall Street firm where I had a very conservative blow dried "bob"

Edited by amarante
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Birmingham, Brittany and Warren, need a big home for their kid, a set of twins (totally adorable).   She wants grand to show people they made it, he wants a fixer.   Their dog Hazel is so cute.  Her budget between $600k and $700k.    His budget is $500k, and wants a fixer (which in my opinion will cost more that the turnkey she wants).  

(I hope they chose well, geography and terrain is the key to Birmingham, since bad storms often follow the geography, for thunderstorms, or tornadoes.).  Both HH work from home, so they need an office each.    Joyce the realtor seems very knowledgeable, and realistic about prices, upgrades. 

House 1 Hoover, new construction (with an empty lot right next door), $694k, giant finished basement, daylight with a full bath and another legal bedroom.   Great views.  With everything they want they'll be over $700k.  House 2 $479k, no basement, He wants to knock down a wall in the kitchen, to make a bigger island. 4 bedrooms aren't enough for two offices, guest room, and the twins.   House 3 $685k, 3 car garage, 5 bed, not new, but very nice, so no construction next door, no basement, no fence and they don't mention that.  

They chose #1,   I would have chosen #3.    However, in a tornado area, I look at the satellite view for miles around, and see if there is visible damage to the trees, from tornadoes.   Tornadoes follow geography, over and over.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Birmingham couple seemed nice, but holy crap, she was so into the grandeur. A grand entrance to show that "they've arrived." Am sure they are just following the TLC script. I guessed they would pick the new build. Way too close to highway for me.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

HGTV. If it was TLC, she'd need space for a witch's sabbath. 😉

Aaaahhhh! I'm so excited by the news that Janelle may have ditched Kody that I have TLC on the brain. Thanks for the fix!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Vancouver, WA. What doctor doesn't want to have good cell reception? Maybe he should consider not having a cell phone. And Jamie was bugging me at #3 by pronouncing everything as super cute. After slipping on my stairs this morning, I'm with him on a ranch. Wow, I guess it's all about location.

• Like 2

Vancouver husband who thought himself to be so cool, actually came across as a total jerk to me.   Hope all his male friends enjoyed the fact that he let his wife do all that renovation work by herself to save them money.. 

• Like 8
57 minutes ago, cameron said:

Vancouver husband who thought himself to be so cool, actually came across as a total jerk to me.   Hope all his male friends enjoyed the fact that he let his wife do all that renovation work by herself to save them money.. 

They picked the right house IMO, but were playing their HGTV scripted roles pretty over the top. She likes unique because she's a twin? He's the quirky medical professional? Just to paint and do floors would have been a huge expense in a house that size, and add in bathrooms? Way over budget. 

• Like 3

Vancouver, WA

15 hours ago, rhofmovalley said:

If he does telehealth from home, why would poor cell service be a plus?

Husband didn't like the technology of cell towers and power lines to mess with his brain cells or some other bodily function. He wasn't anti-cell phones. I'm sure he receives excellent cell service through his wi-fi connection. 

7 hours ago, BAForever said:

She likes unique because she's a twin?

I think the wife was merely trying to say that as a twin, she was forced into a lot of "sameness" as her twin, so she now liked uniqueness. Makes sense to me. 

Yeah, he was quirky and all, but within my scope of normality. Decent enough couple.

It was nice to see Vancouver, WA instead of Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, Everett. The prices are more reasonable down there and it's still a pretty area. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I had to laugh when I saw the two dogs that needed a huge yard.   They looked like spaniels, not Rottweilers.      The husband seems rather high maintenance to me.   The wife was the only one doing the work.    If they had contractors in to do the work, it would cost more, but they could finish so much faster.    I don't know what their finances were like, but a physican and physician assistant were probably pulling in a huge combined salary, and might even have bonuses for taking the jobs.   I didn't really like 2 or 3, 2 because of the neighboring houses and the general neighborhood, and 3 because it was so far from work, and getting out of the driveway might be an issue because of the traffic.     They picked the right house for them, but they didn't need a big yard for the dogs.   When one of them said that they would rip the deck out on #2 to make the yard big enough for the dogs, I figured that wasn't the house they picked.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
  • Wink 1
On 12/5/2022 at 9:46 PM, Grrarrggh said:

My pet peeves: saying that one room has "flow", and obsessing over natural light. Oh and calling everything cute. I don't think most people know what the actual definition of the words cute or flow are. 

We all have HH’s we remember over the years and one that I recall was a young woman looking for her own house and she was “this is cute” about everything. Not sarcastically. What makes me remember her mostly though is while watching I thought, she’s going to say super cute, I know it and before I finished thinking it she said “this is super cute”.

Edited by stewedsquash
Commas. Probably still too many and also not enough and then wrongly placed ones
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Agent/Contractor, bet we all knew which one they were going to choose.  I'm sure they're a very nice couple, but boy they (she) sure bugged. My favorite was when she went outside the 1st house and said it was noisy. It was crickets and cicadas.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Yes, the noisy house, with crickets and cicadas was hysterical.  In the middle of summer there will be an even louder noise, frogs.      It was obvious which house they bought, and that they would gut a lot of rooms.    I wonder if the relatives liked seeing grandpa's house changed?   Sometimes people really get upset about change, even though you bought it.   

When I moved to the South, it was summer, and the bugs were singing a lot.   The first night my poor dog needed to make a bathroom visit, so I opened the sliding door and put him out, then he heard the massive amount of frogs.   He didn't want to got out anymore, he just wanted back in, and right now too.    I told him he had to go, so he did, but he really went fast.   He never did like the summer nights here, with the noisy frogs.  

I'm sure that wife is the designer, and runs everything else, he's just the free labor.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm sure that wife is the designer, and runs everything else, he's just the free labor.  

My impression was that the wife was in her mid-30's and knew her bio clock was ticking.  She obviously comes from a wealthy family and wanted to marry.  The pickin's for a husband in the booming Tampa/St. Pete area are, apparently thin. 

Her dominance in the relationship was easy to spot and when they kept portraying him as "in construction" I was wondering whether he is gainfully employed OR simply worked construction jobs in that past and knows the field.   

Other than his trade skills (that he may or may not have), his overall demeanor and personality seemed summarized by her snarky remark:  "He's easy going like driving 25 mph in the left lane).

I think the family is delighted by her marital status and was more than happy to agree with the final selling price for Grandpa's house.

I noted that they referred to them as "newlyweds"; however, never showed a picture of the blissful bride&groom on their big day as they usually do (for whatever reason).

If I were the husband, I would keep a detailed list of whatever professional services I was  rendering on this massive reno job because if, or when, she dumps him in the future, his lawyer would have tools he/she will need to ask the Court for reimbursement as part of any divorce decree.  I will reserve any comments about future children that she seemed intent on having ASAP on that basis.

Edited by pdlinda
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
On 12/16/2022 at 1:24 PM, Grrarrggh said:

Yikes, except for not having any real style I think Ya'll judged the Tampa woman harshly. 

Yeah I didn't get any of that from this episode - was someone projecting?

I didn't even get vibes that her family was especially wealthy. They owned basic middle class homes especially since the grandparents had bought the house 40 years ago - hadn't renovated it and probably cost them $150,000 or so when they purchased it - if that.

I just rolled my eyes because I knew whatever house they purchased was going to require major renovation because he was in construction and therefore it would make no sense to pay "retail" for a house that had been flipped and probably not as well as he would do.

Not sure why the assumption is that she was the "catch" and he was a wastrel. Assuming he was a General Contractor in Florida he would have been making a very good living - especially in the past few years when any decent contractor was booked for months.

Edited by amarante
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Grrarrggh said:

Yikes, except for not having any real style I think Ya'll judged the Tampa woman harshly. 

Grrrarrggh, I do admit to being a bit crabby while watching. The "loud" outside was a first for me. Traffic- yes, planes- yes, late night business- yes, manufacturing- yes, insects- nope. She definitely knew what she wanted. To me, it was just a letdown. When she said it was grandparents house, knew they'd pick it. I like to outguess my hubby, and we both picked the right house, so I couldn't trounce him.

• Like 4

Dunedin, FL: based on their budget, he was definitely a general contractor and not some day laborer. 

Yes he was reserved while she was more out-spoken but that doesn't make her a shrew or him some put upon yokel that she roped into marriage., They didn't even rate on my HH annoyance scale.

Vancouver, WA: yhe weak wireless signal is nor an issue as long as they have wifi.  While I don't buy into all the hype, I can appreciate a quiet neighborhood away from traffic noise. Especially since as a Dr, he may be working/sleeping odd hours.

Also, it's not the size of the dog that determines space needs, it's the energy level. For exampele Mastiffs are huge but notoriously lazy, while Jack Russells will run for days. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

HH has given me a new pet peeve. I've been watching a whole bunch of repeats and can't believe I didn't notice it before: there are a lot of complete morons with apparently no imaginations who walk into houses and if it's not essentially just one room they ask the real estate agent "what is this room" or "what is this room for?". Is there some sort of law that requires people to do certain things with a room, and only that certain thing? 

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
8 hours ago, snarts said:

Yes he was reserved while she was more out-spoken but that doesn't make her a shrew or him some put upon yokel that she roped into marriage., They didn't even rate on my HH annoyance scale.

Snarts, I might make an HH Annoyance Scale rubric. I think I have a bias as it's more often the women who bug me, and gay men are usually my favorites. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
33 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

HH has given me a new pet peeve. I've been watching a whole bunch of repeats and can't believe I didn't notice it before: there are a lot of complete morons with apparently no imaginations who walk into houses and if it's not essentially just one room they ask the real estate agent "what is this room" or "what is this room for?". Is there some sort of law that requires people to do certain things with a room, and only that certain thing? 

The ones who crack me up are when they walk into a kitchen, and say - Is this the kitchen?

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

I kind of understand when a HHer walks into a house and asks the agent what the room is, or what it's for.  I think when they first walk in, they're just wondering what the room could be used for, and that might be different for each HHer.

• Like 1

I do understand that the to-be-chosen house is already under contract when show is filmed. My question is, have the HH already seen the decoy homes, or is what we see their first time? That might make a difference in conversations.

Edited by BAForever
  • Like 2
36 minutes ago, BAForever said:

I do understand that the to-be-chosen house is already under contract when show is filmed. My question is, have the HH already seen the decoy homes, or is what we see their first time? That might make a difference in conversations.

My understanding of how HH is produced is that you apply to be on the show if you are in escrow or have purchased. If you are accepted, it's up to the producers to find the decoy houses. So, I say the HHs have never seen the decoy houses before. But it could be the real estate agent may provide the producers with decoy houses.

If you go to Pie Town productions web site (they produce the shows), they have info on how to be on HH.

ETA: The decoy houses may not even be for sale. Considering the time difference between applying to be on the show and filming, I'd say the HHs have never seen the decoy houses before.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 12/17/2022 at 8:43 PM, chessiegal said:

he decoy houses may not even be for sale.

That is the case. A young couple bought in our building and were featured (with Board of Director permission). A couple of years later, we got a call asking if HH could film here again (we said no since our recognizable building would be a decoy, so dissed and dismissed).

On 12/14/2022 at 1:36 PM, mojito said:

It was nice to see Vancouver, WA instead of Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, Everett. The prices are more reasonable down there and it's still a pretty area. 

I'm sure they pointed this out in the episode, but Vancouver, Washington, is across the bridge from Portland, Oregon.  I've heard it referred to there as "Vantucky."  They really do feel like very different cities, and I wonder if that is reflected in the housing prices between Portland and Vancouver.

Portland is the side of the river to be on to shop, because there's no sales tax.  Unless you're buying Sudafed, which is prescription-only in Oregon but available from the pharmacy without a prescription in Washington.

Hey, wait a minute.  I haven't bought Sudafed there in a few years, so I was doing due diligence before posting and found out that starting this year, you can now get Sudafed without a prescription in Oregon.  No more traveling to Vantucky to get your meth materials!

On 12/16/2022 at 10:56 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

In the middle of summer there will be an even louder noise, frogs.     

I have a friend whose house is built over a creek in the middle of old Austin.  We were talking on the phone one night and there was this unbelievable racket in the background, and I finally said, "What is that?"  Frogs.  We were having to talk over it, and then he said, "And that's with the windows closed."  He opened the sliding door and we were having to shout over the frogs.  It was unbelievable.

Otherwise, the Vancouver HH would love the house--there's no usable cell signal, regardless of the carrier.  A text will eventually make it, but talking is impossible.  But I do wonder whether the HH has wifi in his house; I'm not very clear on his specific objections.

On 12/17/2022 at 5:11 PM, chessiegal said:

The ones who crack me up are when they walk into a kitchen, and say - Is this the kitchen?

If you don't know what a room is to be used, maybe you shouldn't be out house hunting.  Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the use of a room.  Also, can't understand letting an agent pick out the houses to view.  Have never done that.  I always tell them which houses I want to see, not the other way around.  Only exception is if it's a pocket listing that hasn't been put on the mls site yet.

• Like 1
On 12/20/2022 at 6:32 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Otherwise, the Vancouver HH would love the house--there's no usable cell signal, regardless of the carrier.  A text will eventually make it, but talking is impossible.  But I do wonder whether the HH has wifi in his house; I'm not very clear on his specific objections.

Since the OP practiced telemedicine a good Wifi connection would be essential.

Most people get Wifi through either their cable or DSL so cell service isn't an issue.

I live in a metropolitan area so "rays" from cell towers is the least of my concerns in terms of pollution but most people don't have land lines at this point so if cell phone service is bad in their home, they would essentially not have decent telephone service. unless all of the telephone talk is done via some form of Wifi - i.e zoom calls or the equivalent.

Tuesday's new one, "Trading Up Again in Tampa", they flipped two houses in Tampa already, and he wants another fixer, and she wants turnkey, and they want to stay long term. They flip and rent out the houses.  He wants to redo something on the house, and she refuses to do that again. Budget is $650k to $700k.  

House 1, central Tampa, updated ranch, inside is totally redone, for $639k. This house looks very familiar.  I wonder if it's been a decoy on another episode?   There's no bathtub for the wife or Hendricks (the kid), I guess she thinks people without tubs never bathe their kids?    No pool, no tub. 

House 2 is a lovely traditional, Spanish style.   But it needs a bigger kitchen, according to the wife, so she wants to blow out a wall.  They call it a fixer, I think it needs a kitchen remodel and that's all, I love the screened area on the guest house.   I hope they didn't buy this one, they'll take all of the vintage, original charm out of it.   

House 3 not in town, and husband is whining about it. It has a pool, and it's a ranch. It  looks like every other suburban house built in the last 20 years.  They want to paint the exterior, rip out all of the tile floors.  She wants to change the kitchen to white cabinets, change the back splash, pretyy much turn it into every other flip kitchen we've seen in the last five years. fireplace offends her fashion sense.  Pool is big, and has the screen room.   

They buy #2.   I'm sad for what that house should have been. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1