Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

So today's OWN marathon of older reruns, including a 2011 in VInings Village near Atlanta seems to be people who want a lot, but can't afford it.    

The couple moving from Atlanta to Mystic, Conn. in 2011 are having big issues with moving to the harsh winter climate in Mystic, don't like baseboard heat (I don't either), and one house not only is on spetic, but has a well.   The well would be a total deal breaker for me.  The realtor keeps saying baseboard heat is all people have there, and says oil heat is routine too.   I hate oil heat. 

Also, no air conditioning in some of them, and with baseboard you probably would have to get several minisplits for air conditioning, and for central you may have to run vents.   They don't even notice the water around the furnace.  Bet their $300k budget would be twice that after 11 years have gone by.   This was the good old days of buying, where they lowball the offer, and get it a lot off asking. 

How does one do a retro install of central air conditioning?

I grew up in the North East and much of the housing stock was built before there was air conditioning let alone central air conditioning. People used room units - if you were a bit more upscale you installed the units in the wall below a window they weren't that obtrusive.

However I can't imagine how you run ducts inside the walls - seems enormously expensive to tear up the walls and run the ducting. And a lot of those walls are plaster rather than wall board so not easy to repair either.

We had the old cast iron radiators that were actually a very efficient method of heating a room. Instead of hot water heaters you had a boiler next to the furnace in the basement which provided hot water as well as steam for radiators

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

You can buy split system units like this one: Split system air conditioning units.

Also, depending on attic or crawl space, you can run ducts into rooms.

It appears that you need to put a unit in every room - the difference is that the condenser is one unit (or possibly two) located outside the home instead of each wall unit having its own condenser.

So it is probably more energy efficient than having separate wall units but it would also have other disadvantages especially in some metropolitan areas where one might not want to have equipment outside.

In the older homes I am familiar with running ducts into rooms would be a major undertaking. Probably why many relatively upscale homes in the Northeast don't have central air if they were built a certain time.

Upgrading electricity is probably another major undertaking but probably simpler because you are snaking wires as opposed to solid ducting. 

(edited)
6 hours ago, amarante said:

It appears that you need to put a unit in every room - the difference is that the condenser is one unit (or possibly two) located outside the home instead of each wall unit having its own condenser.

One condenser (which is smaller and exponentially quieter than that of a central air unit) is generally all that's needed to run the number of units needed in an average-sized house, and not every room needs a unit.  My house was built in 1938, and most houses in my neighborhood have had central AC put in at some point, but not mine, and I had no interest in messing with that kind of duct work, plus I preferred the energy efficiency of being able to control each room's unit separately.  I calculated how many BTUs would be needed for each room based on its size, and only installed units in four rooms (bedroom, office, living room, and kitchen).  With the way my house is laid out, if I turn on all four, I can cool the whole house (e.g. the dining room receives cool air from both the kitchen and living room).

Those systems are common in other parts of the world (where a lot of housing pre-dates central air); shoving a central air system into an old home seems mostly an American thing.  Their only drawback is cosmetic, as the units are far more obvious than a duct vent, of course (while significantly more attractive than a window unit).  But it's fairly easy to decorate in order to ensure one's eyes are drawn to the wall's art rather than the AC unit up at the top of it.

Edited by Bastet
6 hours ago, amarante said:

I agree that people don't necessarily work in their majors as I don't think of college as being a from of trade school. I think Liberal Arts provides a flexible background that enables one to successfully work in many fields - logical thinking and good verbal skills are an asset in any field.

However I was just wondering why someone without a burning desire to be a police office, PO would decide to pick such a specialized field. 

Perhaps it is because the HH with that degree seemed to be doing such a turnabout. Not that there is anything wrong with that except that I would think one would try to get an early education degree because I got the sense that she was just a full time babysitter and not a "nanny" in the way that the English Nanny School graduates its nannies with child development courses and first aid emergency training for starters.

Maybe she did want to be a police officer but was advised that someone who is introverted and slow to make a decision (as she described herself) wouldn't make a good cop.

• Love 2
(edited)

If you have forced air heat with ducts, you add an air conditioning unit to the furnace.   My parenets did that, to the gas furnace.   However, the original furnace in the house (it was built right after World War II), was coal, switched to oil, then replaced by the gas furnace, and air conditioning was added to it later.   

I've also seen people put mini splits on one room, and leave the other doors open to cool the entire floor.   In a historic house, probably wouldn't be allowed to put the a/c unit on the sides of the house, so you would have to put the mini split equipment, and everything but the actual wall unit on the back of the house, so no one can see it from the front.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
(edited)
45 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

If you have forced air heat with ducts, you add an air conditioning unit to the furnace.   My parenets did that, to the gas furnace.   However, the original furnace in the house (it was built right after World War II), was coal, switched to oil, then replaced by the gas furnace, and air conditioning was added to it later.   

If one has ducts already in place for forced air heat then I understand how it can be done but the older homes I am familiar with have the steam radiator systems with no ducting and generally plaster walls.

My childhood home was built after WWI and had a coal furnace originally and the cellar actually still had a little room where the coal used to come down. At some point it was converted to oil but it resembled something out of the depths of hell - I can't imagine the amount of asbestos that must have been coating it. Then my father got a new gas burning furnace when oil prices began originally rising in the 1970's with the first embargo

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

One condenser (which is smaller and exponentially quieter than that of a central air unit) is all that's needed for an average-sized house, and not every room needs a unit.  My house was built in 1938, and most houses in my neighborhood have had central AC put in at some point, but I had no interest in messing with that kind of duct work, plus I preferred the energy efficiency of being able to control each room's unit separately.  I calculated how many BTUs would be needed for each room based on its size, and only installed units in four rooms (bedroom, office, living room, and kitchen).  With the way my house is laid out, if I turn on all four, I can cool the whole house (e.g. the dining room receives cool air from both the kitchen and living room).

Those systems are common in other parts of the world; shoving a central air system into an old home seems mostly an American thing.  Their only drawback is cosmetic, as the wall units are far more obvious than a duct vent, of course (while far less obtrusive than a window unit).  But it's fairly easy to ensure one's eyes are drawn to the wall's art rather than the AC unit up at the top.

Maybe I am misunderstanding but having an air conditioner in each room being cooled but placed in the wall is what I am familiar with in terms of older homes not be retrofitted for central air. People would have the units placed below the window and not in the window so they were fairly unobtrusive. My dog would position himself in front of the unit when we came in from a walk on a summer day - he hated the heat and sun.

Edited by amarante
2 minutes ago, amarante said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding but having an air conditioner in each room being cooled but placed in the wall is what I am familiar with in terms of older homes not be retrofitted for central air. People would have the units placed below the window and not in the window so they were fairly unobtrusive.

No, not in the wall, on the wall, just below the ceiling (where a duct vent would be with a central air system) -- as seen in that linked article about installing mini split systems.  Here's more info.

• Like 3

If you watch House Hunters International, you'll see mini-split air conditioners, especially in tropical areas.  My first encounter with one was a non-high-rise hotel room in Aruba.

I noticed that in @Bastet's link, the part that goes on the interior wall is described as "quiet and elegant."  I wouldn't go so far as elegant, but they're a lot better looking than window units in a window or even installed in a hole in the wall instead of a window, which I've always thought were heinous looking. 

[I'll also note that the website says, "That’s why the table of the best ductless units below consists solemnly of the 1 zone mini split AC systems."  Argh.]

Now that I think about it, you also see mini-splits in tiny houses.  RVs typically have roof air units, which are incredibly noisy and add to the RV's height, which matters if you're doing down the road.  Some have "traditional" ducted air conditioners, which are a million times quieter, but require a place for the unit itself in a lower compartment, which tiny houses typically don't have.  But tiny houses do have an outside wall on which the exterior part of the mini-split can be installed, especially if the mini-split is anticipated in the original plans.

As for the show, I've gotten to where I'm always trying to figure out what the air conditioning situation is.  If I were showing a house without central air, I would remove all window units unless they were necessary at that time of year.  Maybe window units wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I'd rather have a buyer imagine what they'll look like instead of actually seeing them. 

• Useful 1
(edited)
On 6/17/2022 at 9:27 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Criminal justice degrees prepare you for police work, parole officer, corrections officer/prison guard, crime scene analyst or criminal investigator, customs and border patrol, deputy sheriff, state trooper, U.S. parks officer, U.S. marshal,   However, crime scene analyst and investigator will require a lot more training.   There's also going to be a training academy for the law enforcement positions.    

As an academic advisor for over 20 years at various colleges and universities, it is very common to think of jobs on the literal level.  You hear “Criminal Justice” and think about things like cop, lawyer, prison guard, etc.  However, CJ is a great major for those who want to go into say, Social Work, Psychology, Non-Profit Work, Social Justice/Reform, Cybersecurity, and so on.  Learning about the CJ system can really help people in those respective fields. Personally, because of my experience, I don’t think the HH had great Career Advising. She doesn’t want to do the obvious stuff, but doesn’t know how to apply her degree toward doing something different.

Edited by MooCat Pretzel
  • Like 2
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, MooCat Pretzel said:

Personally, because of my experience, I don’t think the HH had great Career Advising. She doesn’t want to do the obvious stuff, but doesn’t know how to apply her degree toward doing something different.

I  think you make a very valid point. 

I wonder how much student loan debt she racked up on a degree she may never use.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

If you watch House Hunters International, you'll see mini-split air conditioners, especially in tropical areas.

Yep.  Since I have such a system, I spot them immediately and get an odd kick out of HHI confirming how common they are in other parts of the world (where retrofitting a full-sized duct system into old housing - old housing, of course, being more prevalent in many countries than in the U.S. because of our country's age and our propensity for tearing shit down - is rare, and central air is across the board not the norm [the U.S. consumes more energy for air conditioning than any other country in the world]).  As I said in my original post on the matter, the overwhelming majority of homes in my (1930s) neighborhood have had central air installed somewhere along the way, but that just didn't seem the best choice to me upon evaluating all the options (when I bought it, this house just had a window unit in one room, which I promptly removed as it was ugly as hell and only cooled that one room).

the part that goes on the interior wall is described as "quiet and elegant."  I wouldn't go so far as elegant, but they're a lot better looking than window units in a window or even installed in a hole in the wall instead of a window, which I've always thought were heinous looking. 

But, yeah, even though that's what I chose, I'd never describe the interior unit as elegant.  Exponentially more attractive than a window unit (whether it's in the window or the wall below it), certainly, but it will never compete cosmetically with a simple vent for a central air duct.  Units available now are slimmer and sleeker than mine -- a little longer in exchange for being shorter -- but they're still something sticking out of the wall.  Because it's up at the ceiling, you just have to provide far more interesting things at eye level. 

2 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I wonder how much student loan debt she racked up on a degree she may never use.

It's not a trade school; even an Associate's degree and, especially, a Bachelor's gets "used" even if one works in a different field.  But, yeah, I'll grant that "nanny" isn't my first thought for careers one might pursue with that degree (unless asked to compile a Venn diagram of degrees I'd never pursue and jobs I'd never take).

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Memphis, single mom and filmmaker with two adorable little boys.  She wants vintage, her mom wants turnkey, and newer.   Kimel, is 34, two sons, 5 and younger, Financial analyst by day, writes screenplays and makes films on the side.    Mom, Marian "Mimi" wants the burbs (I vote with her, for safety). 

$250k to $275k for Kimel, but prefers $200k and wants vintage, and character.   

House 1-Fixer in Mid-town, 1931, bungalow $205k,  single family, mostly stone, vintage fireplace, hardwood floors, crown molding.  2 guest bedrooms are bigger, there are bars on the side windows.  tiny en suite, kitchen is small, no appliances, but fridge is in former butler's pantry, Kimel's mom Mimi asks where the tiny boys will be during reno, and Kimel says with Mimi.   Nice back yard, and covered deck, with fencing all around.    attic is estimated at $20k to redo-nope, try $40k easy.    Mimi worries because the reno may be a lot more money, and time than Kimel has. 

House 2-burbs, Cordova, TN, $252k 3  bed 2 bath, 1800 sq ft, , built in 2005, need some paint, looks like they went to reno the kitchen, just add paint, countertops, and add some paint, buy a stove and fridge, back yard is small and easy to keep up.     busy street behind the back fence.  huge main bedroom, huge tiled shower, ensuite is nice, guest bath with tub, and 2 guest baths.   Stairs to upstairs bonus room, and bonus room need carpet or flooring, 1 car garage. 

House 3- Memphis $205,900 bungalow, new roof, 3 bed  2 bath 1300 sq ft built in 1920, lovely wood floors, nice fire place, kitchen is totally redone, and fantastic, with granite counter tops, kitchen cabinets go to ceiling, and needs a fridge, guest bath with tub is nice, primary bedroom is smaller, with a tiled shower ensuite, lovely room.    secondary bedrooms are nice.   backyard is big, and fenced, but there is no garage, just a big driveway to the back.  

She chooses #1 , depending on neighborhood, I would have picked #3, or #2.  However, it all depends on the neighborhood location, and safety. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1

Memphis

99.4% of cities in the US have less crime than Memphis.  I trust that the woman purchased in a reasonably safe area, but with stats like this one, I'd have chosen to be in suburbs, hopefully far from the trouble spots. The home she chose is the one I liked the least. I'd be afraid of all the surprises that home might have in store for her once she starts renovating.

I hope her home works out for her and her kids.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I think it might be the house she chose, but one of them had that banister-less staircase to the unfinished attic plunked right in the living room AND the stairs stuck out such that they were a little bit in front of the fireplace.  It's like they were added at some point, which makes me wonder how you used to get into the attic and why this stair situation was preferable.

I noticed a bunch of ductwork up there, which I assume was added at some point (especially after our discussion of mini-splits), so maybe they needed better access to work up there?  But if so, I wouldn't leave those stairs-to-nowhere like that.

• Love 1

Along with everything else we complain about Re: the househunters, I want to add this one - not wanting something when they have to ask if it's something they are supposed to like.  Two examples:

A HH asked if the floors were hardwood and was told that they weren't.  Instant disapproval.  Honey, you couldn't even tell and had to ask.

On an OWN rerun:  the HH asked if the bathroom had been updated.  No.  Oh, dear, too bad.  Seriously?  You HAD to ask!  Either you like it or you don't.  What difference does it make when it was last updated?

Jeesh.  This complaint is a cousin to a major pet peeve of mine and that is liking/disliking something because it is "in" or "out" of style.  Make up your own damn mind and don't rely on someone else to tell you what you are supposed to like.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

Yeah, no one needed "bright, white" kitchens until a couple of years ago. Then suddenly no one can cook unless the kitchen is "bright and white".

White kitchens look like operating rooms to me. I've had enough surgeries to not want to relive that environment.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, rhofmovalley said:

Yeah, no one needed "bright, white" kitchens until a couple of years ago.

When I moved to the Atlanta suburbs in 1992 (30 years ago), all the new homes my agent showed me had white kitchens. It comes and goes.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, chessiegal said:

When I moved to the Atlanta suburbs in 1992 (30 years ago), all the new homes my agent showed me had white kitchens. It comes and goes.

When we relocated to east central Georgia in 1987 none of the kitchens in the houses we saw were white. I didn't keep track but I think we were shown at least 40 houses. I don't recall seeing a lot of hardwood floors. We picked ours because it was new and would be completed by the time we were ready to move. We got to select some of the finishes. Oak kitchen cabinets were already installed. They were built in place and were just what I wanted to go with my oak breakfast room table, and an antique oak chest and an antique ice box that I planned to use there.

• Like 2

New to Kansas City, he's in charge of a Cannabis business. She's Brazilian, so they subtitle her quips. 

House 1-Vintage Tudor, but nice, she doesn't like the basement because of horror movies.

House 2-He wants land, so it's 3+ acres, and I bet I know exactly why he wants losts of acres, and no HOA, and to put up solid, tall fences.   Lovely house, big out building. $600k, but needs the finished basement, but has the wall studs up already.  

House 3-new construction. model home, she doesn't want to spend that much on a house, in case she has to fly back to Brazil suddenly. I love the foolishness of the house hunters, thinking everything they want and like won't be an upgrade. I have to laugh, the huge back covered deck is standard, but stairs down to the yard are an ungrade.  Why didn't the realtor check with the HOA or the realtor selling for the builder about building a fence?  Guest bath wall and floor tile are clashing colors. Nice walk out basement.    

They pick #3.    $479k purchase price, with a fence.  This is funny, he says the cul-de-sac makes their backyard private, but the neighboring houses are all overlooking their yard.  

New in Lake Tahoe, both are remote workers, he has his own branding agency, and she does recruiting for tech start ups.   They have a Tahoe tiny condo, and want to rent it out, but buy a new place in Tahoe.   Current condo might rent for $3k to $5k a month.   She doesn't like cabiny, wood.  If they want top dollar on condo rentals, replace the awful appliances, and fix the flooring. 

House 1-HOA $358 a month, condo has a parking lot, limited to residents.  no wood on the walls or ceiling, comes furnished. 1 bath, no outdoor space but a narrow tiny balcony, 2 beds.  No yard for the two dogs. the unit comes with a downstairs storage room.  $490k.  Walk to the slopes.

House 2-$780k, 3 bed,  2 bath, far up the mountain. big kitchen, full sized appliances, a shuttle to the ski slopes, fireplace, decent balcony, upstairs loft, a curtain wall for bathroom, and 2 bedrooms together, you have to go through a bedroom to get to the stairs to the basement, where the primary bedroom is, with an en suite, but no bedroom door.  

House 3-$825k, 2 bed 2 1/2 bath, Incline Village, NV.   single family home. bath and laundry is right inside the front door, kitchen is smaller, mirrors on the dining area wall, under the deck is a storage area, deck is huge, neighbors are very close,  SEcond floor has 2 closets, and an updated bathroom, plus the primary has an en suite.  Includes access to the golf course, etc. 

They pick #1 A big issue is their dog is huge!   I wonder if that's allowed for a dog well over 100 lbs.  They can't move in yet, a sheet of ice slid off the roof, and destroyed their exterior stairs. 

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

New to Kansas City, he's in charge of a Cannabis business. She's Brazilian, so they subtitle her quips. 

House 1-Vintage Tudor, but nice, she doesn't like the basement because of horror movies.

House 2-He wants land, so it's 3+ acres, and I bet I know exactly why he wants losts of acres, and no HOA, and to put up solid, tall fences.   Lovely house, big out building. $600k, but needs the finished basement, but has the wall studs up already.  

House 3-new construction. model home, she doesn't want to spend that much on a house, in case she has to fly back to Brazil suddenly. I love the foolishness of the house hunters, thinking everything they want and like won't be an upgrade. I have to laugh, the huge back covered deck is standard, but stairs down to the yard are an ungrade.  Why didn't the realtor check with the HOA or the realtor selling for the builder about building a fence?  Guest bath wall and floor tile are clashing colors. Nice walk out basement.    

They pick #3.    $479k purchase price, with a fence.  This is funny, he says the cul-de-sac makes their backyard private, but the neighboring houses are all overlooking their yard.  

New in Lake Tahoe, both are remote workers, he has his own branding agency, and she does recruiting for tech start ups.   They have a Tahoe tiny condo, and want to rent it out, but buy a new place in Tahoe.   Current condo might rent for $3k to $5k a month.   She doesn't like cabiny, wood.  If they want top dollar on condo rentals, replace the awful appliances, and fix the flooring. 

House 1-HOA $358 a month, condo has a parking lot, limited to residents.  no wood on the walls or ceiling, comes furnished. 1 bath, no outdoor space but a narrow tiny balcony, 2 beds.  No yard for the two dogs. the unit comes with a downstairs storage room.  $490k.  Walk to the slopes.

House 2-$780k, 3 bed,  2 bath, far up the mountain. big kitchen, full sized appliances, a shuttle to the ski slopes, fireplace, decent balcony, upstairs loft, a curtain wall for bathroom, and 2 bedrooms together, you have to go through a bedroom to get to the stairs to the basement, where the primary bedroom is, with an en suite, but no bedroom door.  

House 3-$825k, 2 bed 2 1/2 bath, Incline Village, NV.   single family home. bath and laundry is right inside the front door, kitchen is smaller, mirrors on the dining area wall, under the deck is a storage area, deck is huge, neighbors are very close,  SEcond floor has 2 closets, and an updated bathroom, plus the primary has an en suite.  Includes access to the golf course, etc. 

They pick #1 A big issue is their dog is huge!   I wonder if that's allowed for a dog well over 100 lbs.  They can't move in yet, a sheet of ice slid off the roof, and destroyed their exterior stairs. 

What is a branding agency?

• Love 1

I had the same thoughts about the huge dog with the Tahoe couple (obviously, being close to slopes was their priority) and the “privacy” he claimed they had in the Kansas City house!   😁

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I couldn't believe Tahoe talked about using the storage space as living space. Guess they're not claustrophobic.

I thought it was bizarre, since the other neighbor has the outside room of the storage room, and you have to go through the neighbor's storage room, to get to the house hunter's storage area.    

I've never seen a condo that allowed dogs the size of that one, he had to be 150 lbs. at least.  I didn't see their other dog, but that one is easily six times the weight limits I've seen for condos.   

I think a branding company sets up a person's public profile and social media, helps them develop logos, and marketing campaigns (this means I have no idea).   

• Like 3
  • Love 2
On 6/17/2022 at 11:56 AM, LittleIggy said:

A nanny with a degree in Criminal Justice? At least maybe she should be able to keep the kids in line!

Actually, you can't do too much with that degree except go into law enforcement or go for a law degree. 

3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I thought it was bizarre, since the other neighbor has the outside room of the storage room, and you have to go through the neighbor's storage room, to get to the house hunter's storage area.    

I've never seen a condo that allowed dogs the size of that one, he had to be 150 lbs. at least.  I didn't see their other dog, but that one is easily six times the weight limits I've seen for condos.   

I think a branding company sets up a person's public profile and social media, helps them develop logos, and marketing campaigns (this means I have no idea).   

Larger dog looked like Great Dane mix...the other dog was a Labrador Retriever.

On 6/22/2022 at 10:20 AM, mojito said:

Memphis

99.4% of cities in the US have less crime than Memphis.  I trust that the woman purchased in a reasonably safe area, but with stats like this one, I'd have chosen to be in suburbs, hopefully far from the trouble spots. The home she chose is the one I liked the least. I'd be afraid of all the surprises that home might have in store for her once she starts renovating.

I hope her home works out for her and her kids.

The house she chose had bars on all of the downstairs windows! Did not look like a great neighborhood. The house is full of renovation projects...looks like a money pit.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

The house she chose had bars on all of the downstairs windows! Did not look like a great neighborhood. The house is full of renovation projects...looks like a money pit.

Next door to the other house that she looked at in an "up and coming" neighborhood had an anti-theft cage around the outside air conditioning unit. Neither of those houses was a good choice for a single woman with two young children. The one she bought is a dump. JMHO. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 8/22/2020 at 7:05 PM, NYGirl said:

I loved the dapper couple in Tampa.  He was so funny.  I loved the way he dressed up for each house.  The house they picked looked so tiny. I would have gone for the 2 story presidential!  He's gonna be sorry he's so close to her dad.

On 8/22/2020 at 1:01 PM, LittleIggy said:

Tampa: She married a dandy just like her dad! 😆

On 8/22/2020 at 1:01 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Will and Ajah looked older than 23, because they were dressed up beautifully.    Were they only 16 and 17 years old when they were met on a dating app, or did I misunderstand?    

He needs a separate dressing room for his suit collection/dressing room, so they have to use an entire bedroom for him?  In Tampa my number one priority would be a single family, that's solid walls, like block for hurricane survival.     For hurricanes, they need to have enough garage space to fit any cars into it.   In Florida, my preference would be hard surface everywhere, so I would have to take the carpet out.  So, I'm on Will's side for that.     So Will feels "Presidential" pulling up to a 2 story townhouse?   I love the size of the master bed/bath.   Bet in spite of the huge master closet, he'll want to use the entire bedroom closet for his stuff, so I bet they turn the alcove into her closet.  I hated the stairs in the townhouse, very steep, and very long because of the first floor ceiling height. 

All of the homeowners that want a decent yard for 'entertaining' but don't want yard work are so funny.   I guess getting a lawn service is not a possibility for them?    So they picked the wife's pick #1. the house 5 minutes from her father.     I bet that Will will start lobbying for another house within a couple of years, so he can get something with an adjoining bedroom, so he can cut through the closet back wall in the master, to make the second bedroom his dressing room.   

Tampa: I just watched a replay of this episode on OWN--somehow I missed it the first time. 

They were a pretty nice couple. Despite their teasing, they did seem to like each other. And I totally agree that Ajah married someone just like her dad. Down to the colorful church deacon suits! Did Will say he has a carousel for his suits? Is that even a thing? Or did he mean a round clothing rack like in a department store? 

I like the house they chose, but I agree that it was definitely a starter home. It fits their current budget and family status (just the two of them), but they might outgrow it if they end up having children. Or if Will buys more suits. 

The Kansas City model home looked weird, with that little one-car garage way on the left, and I wondered if that middle part was a converted garage, but it's a brand new house--why would someone want a brand new house that looks like they'd outgrown it and had to convert a garage to living space?   

And sure enough, the one they bought has a big garage right in the middle.  Apparently THEY didn't want a brand new house that looked like it had a converted garage.

(edited)
On 6/23/2022 at 6:11 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

The Kansas City model home looked weird, with that little one-car garage way on the left, and I wondered if that middle part was a converted garage, but it's a brand new house--why would someone want a brand new house that looks like they'd outgrown it and had to convert a garage to living space?   

And sure enough, the one they bought has a big garage right in the middle.  Apparently THEY didn't want a brand new house that looked like it had a converted garage.

I suspect the tiny garage on the model home was to convice the prospective buyer to shell out megabucks for a 2 or 3 car garage as an upgrade, and even more for a taller or deeper garage.       Or it was used as the design center or office for the builder/real estate staff. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Next door to the other house that she looked at in an "up and coming" neighborhood had an anti-theft cage around the outside air conditioning unit. Neither of those houses was a good choice for a single woman with two young children. The one she bought is a dump. JMHO. 

Completely agree - it looked awful and that layout was also awkward and as I recall there were bars on the window.

By the time that place was renovated to even *normal* standards it could well exceed $50,000 or even more and that is assuming there aren't structural issues because I am assuming that whoever lived in that house was probably not fastidious about maintenance.

I thought the third house was the most suitable for someone in her position. It wasn't a fabulous house but it didn't seem to require immediate expensive work just to make it habitable for a normal person.

And I really don't understand why someone in her position is so hell bent on buying a single family home if what is in her budget is in terrible shape and in a questionable area. Far better for her to get a condo or townhouse that was in good shape. Bonus if it had a pool or other simple amenities for her kid.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, amarante said:

And I really don't understand why someone in her position is so hell bent on buying a single family home if what is in her budget is in terrible shape and in a questionable area. Far better for her to get a condo or townhouse that was in good shape. Bonus if it had a pool or other simple amenities for her kid.

Perhaps she was getting government assistance on the purchase by buying in a bad neighborhood.

• Useful 1

Nashville, TN. Her voice is pretty whiny. And I had to laugh when he said being a new dad made him now think about his daughter. Sure, all new dads think about going to bars. Shoot. I nodded off, which house did they choose?

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Maybe I’m misremembering the show, but I thought the one they looked at was a model and the garage in front was the sales office, with the third garage stall next to it?    They built using that model design.  I don’t remember the new garage though.

7 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

I agree...I would be worried sick if my daughter moved with two small kids to a house like that.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Shoot. I nodded off, which house did they choose?

.The very last house most people would choose. A hundred feet from a block long power plant and across the street from a dismal-looking park. They share a wall, are a few feet from their neighbor and got a tiny little yard. It may have been affordable but there was a good (or bad) reason for the lower price.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I am probably wrong on this, but aren’t power plants considered to be potentially dangerous to live next to/nearby? Health wise? Of all the years, decades, I have watched House Hunters …. that particular house is one of the worst I have ever see.. location, aesthetically, etc.  

But as long as the husband could walk to bars and restaurants it is all good. He kept parroting that mantra; could not stand him.  I got the impression that the husband’s career requires moving a lot. I missed the first part so don’t know if the wife works. So also don’t know if the husband has hidden charms.

Edited by Kemper
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I just watched this episode and I must say, that was I think the weirdest choice I have ever seen on this show. I was wondering about the health factor with the power plant too. Do they make a buzzing sound? Not sure why I think that.

Maybe they heard the power plant is going to be expanded and they think they'll make a big profit on the property🤨?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

I just watched this episode and I must say, that was I think the weirdest choice I have ever seen on this show. I was wondering about the health factor with the power plant too. Do they make a buzzing sound? Not sure why I think that.

Maybe they heard the power plant is going to be expanded and they think they'll make a big profit on the property🤨?

They do make buzzing sounds (power plants, that is lol).

So hubby plans to hang out at bars while he leaves his wife at home with the baby?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, rhofmovalley said:

So hubby plans to hang out at bars while he leaves his wife at home with the baby?

My husband kept yelling at the tv - your clubbing days are over, you idiot!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

That Nashville episode was quite something.

I grew up in an urban area so I can sympathize with not wanting to live in the suburbs but my parents chose to live in an urban area because of commutes; proximity to jobs, family; tax advantages; good public transportation; the kids being able to walk to school; cultural advantages - not because they needed to walk to bars. Granted the guy is in the beer distribution business but that doesn't mean he will still have the frat lifestyle of a childless person.

I found the choice of being across the street from a power plant to be awful and that ratty park across the street wasn't much of an inducement. When people discuss the. benefit of parks and communal areas they generally mean ones that are beautifully landscaped and have great playgrounds for kids - not a stretch of what is essentially dirt with a few tufts of pitiful grass. 

I am not sure what the health hazard is of electricity. At one time high power lines were thought to be unhealthy. But I would worry about how the power is generated and because a lot of industrial land was used to discard toxic products. 

And of course beyond that who would want to live next to that kind of edifice - it would be the same if it were a large factory.

And they really weren't even thinking rationally - the odds of there being in any home they bought when their kid is in school or they have another kid are minimal. 

I don't think any of the choices were good. The third house (Craftsman) had a terrible layout for anyone with children and I hate those attic conversions into a master suite - especially with no door. I think in general the attics are incredibly hot even with air conditioning because attics are intended to help ventilate homes even with A/C.

I am pretty sure that both of the homeowners wanted the new and shiny style of the first home but didn't have the money to purchase one. 

I also think that a home in such an undesirable location is going to be hard to sell when the inevitable happens and the market cools down a bit. Only someone desperate AND stupid is going to buy a home in that location.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Nashville

At one point, he made a comment about some large room which he declared was good for his office; the wife and baby had a room of their own.

If this is how he changed after having a baby, he'd better buckle up because there is going to be a lot more change coming soon.

I wonder if he and his wife planned that baby. He certainly didn't seem ready for fatherhood and was fighting tooth and nail to continue with his old social life. 

No way I could overlook that eyesore of a power plant across the street, regardless of how nice the interior was. Now if it had been a cemetery, which so many people shy away from, I'd be all in. 

• Like 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, mojito said:

Nashville

At one point, he made a comment about some large room which he declared was good for his office; the wife and baby had a room of their own.

If this is how he changed after having a baby, he'd better buckle up because there is going to be a lot more change coming soon.

I wonder if he and his wife planned that baby. He certainly didn't seem ready for fatherhood and was fighting tooth and nail to continue with his old social life. 

No way I could overlook that eyesore of a power plant across the street, regardless of how nice the interior was. Now if it had been a cemetery, which so many people shy away from, I'd be all in. 

This was the most shocking HH I've ever seen. It was crazy that a realtor actually picked this house out to be shown on TV!!! OMG!!! Yes...a power station of that magnitude is very dangerous to one's health. Living across the street from that horrible eye sore is really risky health wise. And that "park" across the street looked like a drug buying and selling spot. More astounding was the immaturity and selfishness of the husband. He never once mentioned any kind of house wish list that had things that his wife and child might need or want...it was all about him and his need to be close to bars and restaurants. He was going to get his way and he didn't give a damn about his wife and daughter. What a selfish, self absorbed asshole.

His constant whining about being downtown was stupid and annoying. Why would a guy with a wife and a small child want to live in downtown Nashville? Bars, Honky Tonks and tons of drunk tourists doesn't sound all that practical...and furthermore, he works so he's going to be going to these hotspots during the work week? With his wife and child? Because he said he wanted his child to partake in all the activities that they do...does that mean taking baby in tow to the bars and Honky Tonks? What I saw was a compliant wife and a man child husband who was more concerned with throwing big bashes for his large family and spending his free time and money on a lifestyle that he should have outgrown a few years ago. 

• Like 2
  • Love 12
(edited)

Nashville:  You’re Greek.  We get it.

Mr. MooCat and I live in Nashville.  I can’t say I know where that exact power plant substation is, but a lot of the Nashville area has no sidewalks.  If there are sidewalks, they don’t go for long stretches. Every time he talked about walking to bars and restaurants, I pictured the wife trying to push their stroller on the side of the road.  Worst. Investment. Ever.

Edited by MooCat Pretzel
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 9

Nashville:  horrible, horrible choice.  The house may be newly build but it is butt-ugly outside and not that attractive inside.  The power plant next door.  Why would anyone want to live in that location?  That realtor should be ashamed that she even showed it to them.  The house in the suburbs was the best one but the selfish husband was so focused on partying and playing that he didn't care what was best for his wife and child. What a jerk.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

I searched "Nashville The Nations" and a map popped up, with that giant electric plant    electric substation, it was easy to see the neighborhood.  I've never seen a substation that big.    The park looked like nothing but grass, so I don't know how much of a park it is.    It's full of industrial, and other warehouse businesses, and just up the road is a state prison.   Some of the individual homes are nice, but a lot aren't.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 8

That electrical facility in the Nashville episode is not a power plant, it's a substation. A transmission substation connects two or more transmission lines. There are no employees working there, it isn't producing electricity as there would be in a plant.  Doesn't make it any less desirable, but it is not a power plant.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I searched "Nashville The Nations" and a map popped up, with that giant electric plant it was easy to see the neighborhood.    It's full of industrial, and other warehouse businesses, and just up the road is a state prison.   Some of the individual homes are nice, but a lot aren't.  

Maybe my idea of a "walkable" neighborhood where you stroll to nice coffee shops and restaurants is a based on metropolitan areas like NYC, Boston, D.C, San Francisco - hell even Los Angeles in terms of many areas.

However also having located that area on the map, how is that considered to be walkable. Where are they walking to? 

• Love 4