Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Goodbye

The way Maura deals with Frost's death is so Maura. Compartmentlizing. Sasha really has a knack for comedy. But she got me when she broke down.

And how sweet is Jane "I wanna day before you." Awww.

They all did a magnificent job at the memorial especially Angie. It was Angie up there and not Jane in my opinion. The ending was sad with Jane finally breaking down.

• Love 1

They all did a magnificent job at the memorial especially Angie. It was Angie up there and not Jane in my opinion. The ending was sad with Jane finally breaking down.

I agree -- I think she did a really nice job and I have never been a big fan or her emotional acting.  As a rule, I think it was really all of them and not their characters when they spoke about Frost. I know actors have died on other shows but this seemed to be more personal and emotional on the screen than many.

• Love 2
(edited)

Those pictures got to me.

I'm not yet back in the Tuesday night routine, so I missed the first airing completely and missed the first 15 minutes of the repeat.

I felt for the actors, especially Angie Harmon.  It's really hard for actors to do scenes like this when a character's death is necessitated by their co-star's; their own emotion is so strong that it can inform their portrayal, but to really let that in is just too much -- to feel their character's despair and their own at the same time is overwhelming.  I'm glad they had a bit of a break between LTY's death and the filming of Frost's funeral.

But I'm confused on the music choice -- was it Amazing Grace on the bagpipes that Korsak finally chose?  Because that's a no-brainer that doesn't require the discovery of a recently-played album.  (Having said that, it did strike a chord in my heart since it's what my mom wants played at her funeral.)  The only other music was the instrumental used in the score, so I think that was it; anti-climactic for all the build-up they did.  And speaking of that instrumental, was it a slowed-down version of What a Wonderful World

I'm completely turned off by the promo for next week, but I choose to just concentrate on this goodbye.

Edited by Bastet

My throat tightened as soon as I saw his desk.   But I really broke down at all the pictures of he and Angie smiling in all those pictures.  

I was trying to think of the name of the action figure and I found this clip of he and Frankie.... 

But I'm confused on the music choice -- was it Amazing Grace on the bagpipes that Korsak finally chose?  Because that's a no-brainer that doesn't require the discovery of a recently-played album.  (Having said that, it did strike a cord in my heart since it's what my mom wants played at her funeral.)  The only other music was the instrumental used in the score, so I think that was it; anti-climactic for all the build-up they did.  And speaking of that instrumental, was it a slowed-down version of What a Wonderful World?

I believe Jane had noted that the funeral would include the bagpipes (Amazing Grace) but not the mayor. (That was a nice bit of levity in all of the sadness.) However, I also believe What a Wonderful World was the vinyl album that Frankie brought to Korsak from Frost's house. It fits that Korsak would say that Frost had good taste about that song.

• Love 1
(edited)

However, I also believe What a Wonderful World was the vinyl album that Frankie brought to Korsak from Frost's house. It fits that Korsak would say that Frost had good taste about that song.

That's what I wanted to think, but then that wasn't actually played at the funeral -- the only snippet of funeral music we got was Amazing Grace on the bagpipes (which is pretty much Funeral 101). But I'll assume the score was an illusion to Korsak having selected that song for inclusion at a part of the funeral we just didn't happen to see.  I love that song, so it works for me.

Edited by Bastet

It really was LTY's memorial because those pictures they showed were all taken on the set, behind the scenes, them goofing off. It's them and not their characters.

Its was their way of sharing their goodbyes to him and us saying goodbye to him.

I do think this was Angie's best acting. I don't remember her acting better than she did last night.

I have always thought she was an okay actress with a beautiful face. But certainly in this episode she was filled with emotions. .

• Love 3

OK, I watched it and as I figured, it hurt my feelings pretty bad. Cried my heart out at the slides because you knew they were behind the scenes pictures. And just writing all that out made me cry all over again. Excellent job by the cast, writers and director. Rest in peace Lee Thompson Young.

• Love 2

I really didn't expect to feel anything towards the memorial but damn they really got me at the end. From Jane/Angie crying and the pictures. 

One thing I really did like throughout the episode was Jane letting her mother take care of her. I expected her to reject or yell at her mother about it but she didn't and they were really nice moments. 

Aside from all the other feels, I thought it was incredibly classy of both Ernie Hudson and the actress who played Frost's mother's wife to agree to essentially be glorified extras in order to make sure that Frost's entire family was there.

• Love 8

Ok - the teacher's story line was weak, but I guess it needed to be filler around the funeral.  The episode couldn't be ALL funeral, right?

The details were wonderful.  I loved seeing the action figure front and center on the desk during the whole episode.  The coffee order set me off; that was an amazing detail.  Maura and Korvack's crying was wonderful.

Now, my stupid comment - did Frost wear a gray suit every episode?  It would have been nice to incorporate a few more outfits into the teeny tiny slideshow.

• Love 1

It became emotional for me when Frost mom appeared onscreen b/c I honestly hadn't expected it. Like that they had the same actress .. and the mother's wife and Erin Hudson as the father. Added more to the emotions. 

The memorial service was emotion. The photos were a lovely touch and made it all the more sad b/c they were actual behind-the-scenes photos of the actors. Angie did a wonderful job w. the Jane's eulogy. Jan Nash said she got it the first take. When she got back home, saw Frost postcard, and finally had her cry? Very emotional and felt real .. as in real life and for the character. 

The cast, crew, and writers honored Lee very well, in my opinion. 

I too was thinking "what a classy dude" when Ernie Hudson showed up and didn't even have lines.  That was cool. 

This whole thing kind of reminded me of the West Wing Leo death.  Then again, everything reminds me of West Wing.

• Love 4

Didn't Angie Harmon speak at the real memorial service, I thought I read that somewhere.

Yes, she did.  

"... Rizzoli & Isles co-star Angie Harmon was one of the guests to speak, and she reportedly broke down in tears during her short eulogy. “It was really hard to hear her because she was in tears,” a funeral attendee told E!. ..." 

http://hollywoodlife.com/2013/08/24/lee-thompson-young-funeral-jett-jackson-suicide-memorial/

The memorial was pretty good, although it was the postcard at the end that really got me.  As a side note:  I am a little surprised it got there, since he seems to have gotten her apartment number wrong (yes, I am nitpicky enough to notice that). 

I think they handled things as well as can be expected.  There’s a razor thin line between tribute and exploitation and, for me, they managed to stay squarely on the tribute side, so that was nice.  Hopefully, it gave the cast (and the audience and anyone else who might have needed it) some closure, both for the character and the actor. 

Add me to the list of people who were impressed that Ernie Hudson and Mercedes Colon (who, I believe, plays Frost’s mom’s girlfriend/wife) came on to have such minor parts.  I always think that sort of continuity adds so much to an episode, especially one as heavy as this one.  Very classy.

• Love 1
(edited)

Here is why they decided to have Frost death be of a car accident instead of something that they would have to investigate or case related and I agree!

“And we didn’t want to have the death of that character be a case, because that felt exploitative,” she added. 

http://www.givememyremote.com/remote/2014/06/25/rizzoli-isles-jan-nash-on-saying-goodbye-to-frost-and-the-heartbreaking-cameo/

Edited by IndependentMind

I thought it was a very good, touching episode.  When Frost ( Lee, because there is no longer a difference between them now ) shows up on the sidewalk...well, it simply gave me a severe case of the goose bumps and I made this weird mourning sound while saying "how did they do that?".  I've since read the how and why of the scene.  Brilliant.  I couldn't even post last night because, as you see, fully formed sentences are still alluding me.

It was such a great idea to NOT over do each character's grief.   I personally believe they got everyone spot on.  Also, the murder plot actually worked to get just the right tone.  A woman loses her memory due to traumatic grief.  

I now feel like I have said "Goodbye" to Lee Thompson Young and his character, Barry Frost. Thank-you Rizzoli and Isles.

• Love 3

They certainly did justice to the memory of Lee Thompson Young - I, too, felt like it was the actors eulogizing their friend Lee and not the characters on the show.

I cried everytime anyone cried, so, yeah.
  • Love 2

It was much better than I thought it would be.  Classily handled, and I liked how the case tied (traumatic event, loss of a loved one).  The coffee scene was excellent, the co-workers grief was spot-on,  The only issue I have is that we DO know how the actor died, and I felt 'what a wonderful world' was jarring with that.  Beautiful song though. 

(edited)

The only issue I have is that we DO know how the actor died, and I felt 'what a wonderful world' was jarring with that. Beautiful song though.

I just looked up the lyrics (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/louisarmstrong/whatawonderfulworld.html --I can hear Louis Armstrong singing them in my mind) and realized they serve as a message to anyone thinking of giving up on life.

I see trees of green,

red roses too.

I see them bloom,

for me and you.

And I think to myself,

what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue,

And clouds of white.

The bright blessed day,

The dark sacred night.

And I think to myself,

What a wonderful world.

The colors of the rainbow,

So pretty in the sky.

Are also on the faces,

Of people going by,

I see friends shaking hands.

Saying, "How do you do?"

They're really saying,

"I love you".

I hear babies cry,

I watch them grow,

They'll learn much more,

Than I'll ever know.

And I think to myself,

What a wonderful world.

Yes, I think to myself,

What a wonderful world.

Oh yeah.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Cry, cry, cry. That's what I did. Very well done. The fact that the actors were shedding real tears of grief is what made it more touching. About a week or so before Lee died I though to myself how Frost was my favorite character.His smile and his quiet way just really touched me so hearing of Lee's death really startled me. Such a beautiful smile. Sweet guy. Sad.

How the heck did an unarmed school teacher, who by the looks of it couldn't have weighed more than 110 lbs, manage to disarm a drug dealer with a gun? He must have been the world's wimpiest drug dealer.

• Love 1

I'm just gonna add my agreement that they did a very good job with this episode. It wasn't melodramatic or exploitative. It had little tinges of humor, but it wasn't inappropriate. I'm glad that the funeral wasn't the *whole* focus of the ep. I did a pretty good job of holding it together (even when Maura cried, and she's my adorkable favorite human on this show) until Jane broke down at the end. Jane is the tough one. When the tough one cracks, the feels come pouring out all over.

My gosh, those pictures of Lee though. He was so young.

• Love 1

It's always pictures that get to me.  The home movies at the end of Philadelphia left me unable to get out of my seat until several minutes after the credits stopped rolling.  And that was fiction; seeing actual candids of someone who really died ... forget it.

• Love 2