Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E19: Scanners/S04.E20: #Cloud9Fail

Dina agrees to play the bad guy when corporate forces Amy to cut everyone's hours. Meanwhile, Jonah and the other employees play an elaborate game of laser tag with the store's new scanners, and Mateo makes a startling discovery about Marcus.

Air Date: May 9, 2016. First of two episodes to air tonight.

When a photo of a mess at store 1217 goes viral, Amy and Jonah try to use it to their advantage, while Dina starts hunting for the anonymous tweeter. And with money tight now that their hours have been cut back, Mateo, Cheyenne, Garrett, and Glenn sell their personal items in the store.

Air Date: May 9, 2019. Second of two episodes to air tonight.

Tonight's double episode made me laugh out loud several times.  The whole game with the Scanners was funny, I like that Glenn really wants to 'fit in" with the other employees & he is all about playing the game & supporting fellow workers.   Amy & Jonah setting up 'fake" Twitter accounts, I just knew that would lead to trouble.  I enjoyed seeing Chrissy Metz(This is Us) in a different role.  And Sandra, at the end, was a Hoot...she has all the workers supporting her now, wonder if they will continue that storyline?

• Love 6

I'm glad Dina found out about her birds. I knew she'd do something with the shoes but I was hoping we'd see a bunch of the customers wearing them. I think that would have been funnier and Garrett would have been just as horrified.

• Love 11

I'm ok with Garrett finally getting his comeuppance on bird-gate. The show will take any reconcilliation really slow now.

Good for Sandra, and this includes Carol finding out about Jerry - that has been going on for too long anyway.

• Love 16

That was probably the best episode this year - a good mix between a goofy staff story, management issues and a sprinkle of romance/progress with Amy & Jonah.

If cooporate leaves her now room for additional hours and she has divided them fair and square between her staff, Amy shouldn't have to hide behind Dinah.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, festivus said:

I'm glad Dina found out about her birds. I knew she'd do something with the shoes but I was hoping we'd see a bunch of the customers wearing them. I think that would have been funnier and Garrett would have been just as horrified.

Dina seems to be an environmentalist. She wouldn't have burned the shoes because of the toxic fumes she would have known they would/could give off. Def better to give them to people and funnier as Garrett realizes as he sees people walking by wearing them.  A bit of a slower burn. 

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

Dina seems to be an environmentalist. She wouldn't have burned the shoes because of the toxic fumes she would have known they would/could give off. Def better to give them to people and funnier as Garrett realizes as he sees people walking by wearing them.  A bit of a slower burn. 

Yeah, he would have been horrified to see Cloud 9 customers wearing his shoes. A missed opportunity. For me I just hated seeing something vintage going up in flames. I clutched my pearls when Cheyenne tore the page off of that Superman comic. It was funny but horrifying. At least the HQ lady found the baseball card.

• Love 11

I thought the ruse to get corporate to give them more hours was going to result in getting Amy fired, or at least demoted back to being a sales clerk. How stupid of her to Tweet pics of the store she manages in constant disarray. It just made it look like she wasn't doing her job and couldn't handle being manager. She really needed to press the point that they were seriously understaffed because of the cuts but instead she kept pretending everything was OK and was just taking the extra hours even though she didn't need them.

This is the second episode where a random goat was seen wandering around through the store. It seems to have some sort of blue jacket tied to its back as though it's a service animal, although I have never heard of a service goat before.

• Love 8

I'm glad there was a follow up to Dina losing her birds, although I would have expected her to recover at least one or two of them. There was a mix of every variety from large Macaw to small parakeet, and some of them probably wouldn't have gone very far from the store. And some of the larger ones would have been captured or reported by home owners. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

This is the second episode where a random goat was seen wandering around through the store. It seems to have some sort of blue jacket tied to its back as though it's a service animal, although I have never heard of a service goat before.

I was so excited to see the service goat return! Hilarious. One time I was leaving a restaurant in Penn Station and the hostess was like, "I just saw a service goat, look!" and I ran after it because I just had to see it. But once I got close up, it was just a goat-sized white service dog with a completely insane haircut. (I never went back to tell the hostess the reality, I wanted her to have a fun story to take home!)

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

I certainly hope they can still incorporate Sandra into the show next season somehow even after her firing. (I'm sure they can -- pretty much everyone has made a fire-able offense and they stick around or come back.) Kinda knew it would make her a folk hero, and we know how she's jumped on rumors as truth before to make herself sound cool! 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

My favorite part was somebody bought some of that meat that was just sitting around in that cart.

I thought Marcus wanted it and was planning to somehow cook and eat it.

He is really bad at finances, since we know he'd been making 10x what he was supposed to for a good while.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

You Might This is the second episode where a random goat was seen wandering around through the store. It seems to have some sort of blue jacket tied to its back as though it's a service animal, although I have never heard of a service goat before.

I work in a public library system and we once had someone bring a service kangaroo into one of our branches.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm glad there was a follow up to Dina losing her birds, although I would have expected her to recover at least one or two of them. There was a mix of every variety from large Macaw to small parakeet, and some of them probably wouldn't have gone very far from the store. And some of the larger ones would have been captured or reported by home owners. 

I guess since Amy/Jonah are settled now, Dina/Garrett Have to carry the angst and conflicts. This will be hard for them to come back from, especially because none of the birds recovered. Maybe now that Garrett feels so much additional guilt since she knows, maybe he will go out and find some and return them to her in the finale – that's the only way I could see fences mended well enough for them to have a shot as a couple again.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

I work in a public library system and we once had someone bring a service kangaroo into one of our branches.

Where was this? That's a great story. I'm baffled tho. What can s kangaroo do for a person?

• LOL 2
12 hours ago, rhys said:

Where was this? That's a great story. I'm baffled tho. What can s kangaroo do for a person?

With that wonderful pouch it is like a purse that carries itself, all you have to do is sew on a zipper, you don't want your car keys popping out when they jump.

• LOL 2
On 5/10/2019 at 6:43 AM, ClareWalks said:

And it's obvious but I will say it again: Lauren Ash is the best thing in this show.

Lauren Ash owns this show and the cast, and she just chews up the scenery and makes everything funnier. She has fully developed her character to the point where she can pull off the tender moments and not lose her edge. Her reaction to seeing her birds escape and Garrett having hidden that from her? Emmy worthy. Splendid every week regardless of what weaknesses might appear in other spots.

I wish Amy would get fired, as she would in the real world, or at least demoted; problems at a specific workplace being slapped on social media would be point right at her. I need her to be professional, not stupid, to make this work; Glenn was a lot more believable as actual management. Plenty of more managementish problem plot lines that could be brought up and finessed by Amy and her sidekick Jonah, but not in such an idiot way. Wish the investigator hadn’t stopped investigating the anonymous employee posting at Carol’s accusation.  

• Love 9
(edited)

I felt actual pain when they tossed that baseball card and the original Superman comic! That HURT me! I was glad that the HR lady rescued the baseball card at least. Fun seeing Chrissy Metz show up in such a different role than in This Is Us, that was a nice surprise. 

Oh Mateo, telling Marcus about your status is a terrible idea! The dude is such a doofus, he will probably announce it in front of the whole store without even realizing it.

Every time the service goat randomly shows up, I giggle even harder. 

Clever way to reintroduce the missing birds, its going to be a very long time before Dina forgives Garrett, and I dont blame her, he needs to get a comeuppance for his behavior every once in awhile. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
(edited)

Big plot hole:  Dina always knew about the cameras, so she could have discovered the truth ages earlier, and it strains credulity to think she hadn’t looked at the footage before. But they held off on revealing the cameras until after Amy’s promotion, so they messed up the timeline.

I still liked the episodes.  

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 2

OMG. The three stooges throwing out Mickey Mantle's rookie card and tearing up Superman #1 (he doesn't even look like Dean Cain) was one of the funniest most brilliant things they  have done on this show!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I hate to say it, but I'm close to bailing. I only watched the first show. Amy's incompetence as  a manager has pretty much driven me over the edge. That and the lack of laughs. I may watch the finale and see if another season is worth it.

OK, I did get a morbid laugh out of Myrtle saying "what kind of job will be left for me 30 years from now?"

Dina gives Amy advice about how to be manager A LOT. In a way that makes it seem like she should really be the manager. She wouldn't let her emotions get in the way which seems to be all of Amy's plotlines so far. I laughed at Dina so effortlessly shooting down Sandra. She should really be the manager.

I got a giggle out of the goat. Is the person coming up with the side bits not contributing to the scripts? I don't know what's up with the writers' room lately but someone funny still works there.

I love that even when she's going soft, Dina is telling someone to put her ugly dog out of its misery.

Hearing everyone's sob stories was just depressing. I wanted someone to lead a rebellion against corporate. Or maybe either Amy or Dina could have struggled to find a way to fix the schedule and in helping one person, upset someone else. Or maybe we could see everyone finding a second job to earn money. If their hours are being cut that drastically, they could conceivably work somewhere else. I've been feeling this way about a lot of plotlines this season. The old Superstore had something to say about working in a big box store. The new one just likes to trot out misery and then not resolve it in any major way. Like, if Tate was still around, in the old show, I think he'd sneak Myrtle arthritis medication. Or be bribed into it. I'd even take everyone being mad at Amy getting that big pay raise when their hours are being cut. Sure, it's not her fault they're being replaced by scanners and she deserves a pay increase for being the manager but at least it would be a more legitimate grievance than what they've been throwing at her since her promotion.

I got a laugh out of Jonah weirdly miming drinking soup but Glenn dipping in a spoon and going "yum" really clinched it.

Amy finally taking the hours away from Jonah was a very safe way to resolve things. 

Jonah bringing up how corporate cuts hours and the staff pushes themselves harder to make it work (though really, this staff?) felt more like the way the show used to be.

Well, at least they wrote in a line for Matteo about not being able to get a job because they're on call at Cloud9. 

Carol is so weird. Not in a funny way. I wish the writers would realize the audience would like to see the unlikable characters get punished once in a while. See: Carol, Matteo, Cheyenne, etc. 

Oh, no... they got more hours. They got what they wanted. Why would Amy and Jonah try to escalate and create fake twitter accounts?

The guy walking up to the cart and picking up a raw steak with his bare hands was so good.

I think they saved it for far too long but I'm glad Dina found out about her birds. I agree with everyone who said Dina would have probably given them away to customers. Or people who would otherwise not see the value in them.

LOL, with her arc in previous seasons, it definitely makes sense that Sandra would go with the lie. Given how addressing climate change went I don't have high hopes for them unionizing but this is the kind of big move I wanted to see earlier so... better late than never?

On 5/25/2019 at 3:49 AM, aradia22 said:

Carol is so weird. Not in a funny way. I wish the writers would realize the audience would like to see the unlikable characters get punished once in a while. See: Carol, Matteo, Cheyenne, etc.

So glad someone else said this.  I know we're supposed to hate Carol, and the actress playing her does a great job, but I've started to feel like she's a bit too one-note, and since it's an calculating/meddlesome note, it gets tiring, especially since everyone else just seems to roll with it, and Sandra and Jerry have always put up with her cruelty (though that might change next season?).