Type keyword(s) to search

Hosts That Could've Been

TheView
  • Start Topic

I read Ali Wentworth was a contender who passed over. She's funny. I don't know about her politics. She is married to George S from Good Morning America so maybe that knocked her out. But I'm just a fan of a sense of humor which is why I like Joy so much. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

I read Ali Wentworth was a contender who passed over. She's funny. I don't know about her politics. She is married to George S from Good Morning America so maybe that knocked her out. But I'm just a fan of a sense of humor which is why I like Joy so much. 

Rachel Campos-Duffy tried out 

Jeff Bezo’s mistress/girlfriend Lauren Sanchez was close to being hired twice. I very vaguely remember her “audition” but I can’t remember any details so I guess she wasn’t a good fit. 

I think Gayle King might have been a good fit. The producers were wary of her Oprah connection and they thought she might have started to control the show “Oprah does it this way”, “Oprah would never do that”. I think Meredith was the perfect cool and collected moderator and Gayle could have filled those shoes. 

I started watching heavily around 07-08 and they had Kathy Griffin on a lot then. The book says she was a contender for a seat. She was too much for the show. Fine in a short segment but not for the entire show. She doesn’t have Joy’s ability to pepper her comments with a few jokes. I think 08 Kathy would have been rapid fire joke,joke,joke, joke and completely out of sync with the tone of the show. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
Just now, SPinCA said:

Jeff Bezo’s mistress/girlfriend Lauren Sanchez was close to being hired twice. I very vaguely remember her “audition” but I can’t remember any details so I guess she wasn’t a good fit. 

I think Gayle King might have been a good fit. The producers were wary of her Oprah connection and they thought she might have started to control the show “Oprah does it this way”, “Oprah would never do that”. I think Meredith was the perfect cool and collected moderator and Gayle could have filled those shoes. 

I started watching heavily around 07-08 and they had Kathy Griffin on a lot then. The book says she was a contender for a seat. She was too much for the show. Fine in a short segment but not for the entire show. She doesn’t have Joy’s ability to pepper her comments with a few jokes. I think 08 Kathy would have been rapid fire joke,joke,joke, joke and completely out of sync with the tone of the show. 

Lauren Sanchez tried out when Debbie left and when Sherri and Jenny left. 

2 minutes ago, SPinCA said:

Baba Wawa was constantly banning her for her antics off the show.  Kathy spilled the tea at her stand up comedy shows on Sweaty Bill Geddie schooling Elizabeth on what to say. He also had a lot of power over Baba Wawa.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

None of the above.  <ducks>

I'm still a fan of Tara Setmayer, who they had an eye on when she was co-hosting.  She's a great mix of intelligent, coherent, pleasant, reasonable and, yes - a conservative.

Frankly, I'm done with the religious whack-jobs and the wanna-be comedians.  Both categories are too overpowering once they get settled in.  Just give me someone interesting, intelligent and steady.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
21 minutes ago, Tunia said:

I'm still a fan of Tara Setmayer, who they had an eye on when she was co-hosting.  She's a great mix of intelligent, coherent, pleasant, reasonable and, yes - a conservative.

I listen to her podcast and watch her when she appears as a contributor on CNN. While I don’t agree with her much on anything politically, she’s everything you stated above. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

I listen to her podcast and watch her when she appears as a contributor on CNN. While I don’t agree with her much on anything politically, she’s everything you stated above. 

Tara's much better than Rachel Campos 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, TheViewFirst1 said:

S.E. Cupp has tested a lot and guested throughout the years as well. She was in consideration to be chosen. 

Whoopie and Rosie deep sixed her. They had a test run with her on the panel without an audience and they had a conversation about abortion that went off the rails.. S.E. Cupp lost her mind and pissed off Whoopie and Rosie. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, TheViewFirst1 said:

S.E. Cupp has tested a lot and guested throughout the years as well. She was in consideration to be chosen. 

She’s another one of Meghan’s “best friends.” She has her own show now but I’ve seen her on other shows. A big nope from me. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Whoopie and Rosie deep sixed her. They had a test run with her on the panel without an audience and they had a conversation about abortion that went off the rails.. S.E. Cupp lost her mind and pissed off Whoopie and Rosie. 

Wow, and how is NutMeg better than her?! 😕

• Love 5

Tara was good. 

It seems that even if someone tests well, once they settle into the job they get power crazy and turn into raving lunatics.  (see: McCain, Meghan; Bila, Jedidiah.)  I'm afraid we'd quickly sour on anyone who toes the conservative/republican line.

Big oh hell no to anymore comediennes.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I'm afraid we'd quickly sour on anyone who toes the conservative/republican line.

I haven't tired of Ana.  I didn't watch when Nicolle Wallace was on but having seen her elsewhere she doesn't bother me.  I read hear about her being "clueless" about pop culture.  That would have bothered me.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

I haven't tired of Ana.  I didn't watch when Nicolle Wallace was on but having seen her elsewhere she doesn't bother me.  I read hear about her being "clueless" about pop culture.  That would have bothered me.

Ana is only a part timer.  I'm afraid she'd start rubbing people the wrong way if she were to be on every day.  It's been the pattern.  Nicole drew a whole lot of negative comments when she was on back in the day, especially for her constant reminders that she was a republican.  Sort of like someone else we know.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

I’d like to see Roxane Gay as a host. I think she would bring an intelligent, fresh take to every segment. 

I'd love to see Roxane Gay guest host, but I think she's too much of a national treasure to be subjected to some of these ladies full time.

1 hour ago, 17wheatthins said:

I’d like to see Roxane Gay as a host. I think she would bring an intelligent, fresh take to every segment. 

OMG  Roxanne Gay is far too fucking AWESOME for the View!

She's super intelligent,  and pulls no punches, and  gives no fucks.  Her sly humor is subtle and wd not be appreciated.  

I adore her and would love to listen to her more,  but not in the View format.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, heysmilinstrange said:

I'd love to see Roxane Gay guest host, but I think she's too much of a national treasure to be subjected to some of these ladies full time.

36 minutes ago, Tosia said:

OMG  Roxanne Gay is far too fucking AWESOME for the View!

She's super intelligent,  and pulls no punches, and  gives no fucks.  Her sly humor is subtle and wd not be appreciated.  

I adore her and would love to listen to her more,  but not in the View format.  

13 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

Well here is where you and I officially break up 

😂

No, I get what you guys are saying. But I’d still love to see her on the panel. 

And this is what the View has become.  We don't want the people we like and admire to be on because we know what a shitfest it has turned into.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, blondiec0332 said:

And this is what the View has become.  We don't want the people we like and admire to be on because we know what a shitfest it has turned into.

Yep!  That is why I am the one lowly voice who has been *not* wanting Ana to join this shit show.  Because I love her too much and she deserves better.  I hope her part time status stays part time.  This way, she can maintain her awesomeness and still show up on CNN.  And like Haleth mentioned above, too many people we love take this job and then suddenly become people we hate because the show has a way of ruining people for us. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

I always felt that Nicole dumbed herself down to not intimidate Whoopie who does not like intelligent women. Whoopie likes to be the all knowing sage of the group.. Whoopie went after Paula, Rosie O and Sunny for that reason alone.. 

• Love 10
13 hours ago, Tunia said:

None of the above.  <ducks>

Frankly, I'm done with the religious whack-jobs and the wanna-be comedians.  Both categories are too overpowering once they get settled in.  Just give me someone interesting, intelligent and steady.

13 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

Tara always rubs me the wrong way. That said, I totally missed the memo on Ana (i.e. didn't dislike her, but couldn't figure out why everyone loved her) before this season (or maybe late last season),  and now I adore her, so maybe Tara is the way to go. 

13 hours ago, TheViewFirst1 said:

Please God, no. She's a charlatan. She's a snake oil sales woman. She's phonier than Meghan McCain, but has more self-control, so she would fool more people. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd rather stick with the devil we know.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, blondiec0332 said:

That explains her liking Meghan.

Exactly what I was going to post! Lol

Whoopi reminds me of those older women who can be tough on women somewhat closer to their age (like Sunny), but can be soft and motherly toward younger women (like Meghan).

I enjoy Yvette Nicole Brown anytime I see her guest hosting on TV. I don’t know if she’s technically ever auditioned. (I’ve also seen her guest host The Real.)

I didn’t watch The View when Jenny McCarthy was on, but I find her very entertaining in general and wonder what it would be like to have her back. 

I like the idea of having at least one younger woman there, and at least one conservative woman there. Meghan sounded great until I got to know her.

Really I just want someone who can have a respectful debate and not bully Joy.

I think all the women mentioned would have been better on the show. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Whoopi reminds me of those older women who can be tough on women somewhat closer to their age (like Sunny), but can be soft and motherly toward younger women (like Meghan).

Whoopi doesn't like any woman she considers a threat.  

I think the show was so much better off before they starting hiring co hosts according to their political beliefs.

I remember after Lisa Ling left it came down to three.  Elisabeth, Rachel Campos Duffy and I can't remember the third.  At that time I don't think I knew EH and RD were Republicans.  It was only after Rosie came on board did EH start showing her red stripes.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

I think the show was so much better off before they starting hiring co hosts according to their political beliefs.

I remember after Lisa Ling left it came down to three.  Elisabeth, Rachel Campos Duffy and I can't remember the third.  At that time I don't think I knew EH and RD were Republicans.  It was only after Rosie came on board did EH start showing her red stripes.

So if Meghan were kinder, smarter, and more well-liked by fans, Whoopi would treat her the way she treats Sunny? I’ve watched the show a long time, but it seems a lot of the posters have been viewers longer. 

2 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Rosie made the show into a political fight fest and to be fair we were in the midst of a controversial war so emotions were high.  Rosie engaged too much with Elizabeth and it came to bite her in the ass. Rosie is unable to let it go and she is still talking about her failed one way friendship with Elizabeth..

• Love 2

Brooke Shields and Padma Lakshmi are the only two I think were in consideration at one time that I’d actually have liked to have on this show. Who knows, maybe one day Padma will make it on the show since Ana was a contributor at the same time and she eventually found her way on The View again. I don’t know if Yvette Nicole Brown has officially been considered, but she would be great, too.

I’d have liked to see Eva Longoria or Jordin Sparks on this show based on their appearances on the show in the past, but Longoria probably wouldn’t want the job and Sparks was always a long shot. She would’ve made a better “young one” than Raven or McCain.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Brooke Shields and Padma Lakshmi are the only two I think were in consideration at one time that I’d actually have liked to have on this show. Who knows, maybe one day Padma will make it on the show since Ana was a contributor at the same time and she eventually found her way on The View again. I don’t know if Yvette Nicole Brown has officially been considered, but she would be great, too.

I’d have liked to see Eva Longoria or Jordin Sparks on this show based on their appearances on the show in the past, but Longoria probably wouldn’t want the job and Sparks was always a long shot. She would’ve made a better “young one” than Raven or McCain.

Padma intimidated the ladies especially, Whoopie.  Brooke Shields is too good for the show. I could see Brooke fitting in better with the ladies of the talk. Jordin would have been a great addition as the younger one.. 

On 4/10/2019 at 7:46 PM, TheView said:

If you had to choose between Rachel Campos-Duffy and Meghan, which would you hate more? Rachel tried when Debbie left and when Lisa left. 

I think I'd dislike Rachel more. I have to go have an emergency lobotomy now.

I think Padma's breathy voice would drive me out of my mind (but she's better than either one of the above nitwits). 

I don't know if Brooke has enough oomph, but I'd rather have her than the above nitwits.

I'd love to have Yvette Nicole Brown. I think she's really done herself proud when she's appeared on this show,  but she's so talented, I'm not sure The View wouldn't be a waste of her time and gifts. 

• Love 3

Ohhh, YNB would be great!  She is so smart and has great insight on any topic being discussed. Love.her. 

Jenny McCarthy, on the other hand, was more vapid than Abby. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

So if Meghan were kinder, smarter, and more well-liked by fans, Whoopi would treat her the way she treats Sunny? I’ve watched the show a long time, but it seems a lot of the posters have been viewers longer. 

No. Sara was sweet, though sometimes...what's the word...too perky? but also intelligent, and fair. And she got along famously with Whoopi.

Meghan is a vile piece of narcissistic shit.

Whoopi doesn't like to be upstaged by anyone who is clearly more intelligent than she is, who she didn't already have a history or friendship with, like Joy. She was threatened by Rosie (to my everlasting disappointment. I was the one who actually thought Whoopi would be professional and not be threatened and be unprofessional and was proven wrong) and is threatened by Sunny.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No. Sara was sweet, though sometimes...what's the word...too perky? but also intelligent, and fair. And she got along famously with Whoopi.

Meghan is a vile piece of narcissistic shit.

Whoopi doesn't like to be upstaged by anyone who is clearly more intelligent than she is, who she didn't already have a history or friendship with, like Joy. She was threatened by Rosie (to my everlasting disappointment. I was the one who actually thought Whoopi would be professional and not be threatened and be unprofessional and was proven wrong) and is threatened by Sunny.

Sara was one of my favorites, sweet, professional, and fun. Miss her! 

I get annoyed when Whoopi is rude to Sunny. It’s just not nearly as bad as Meghan’s rudeness toward Joy. 

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Ohhh, YNB would be great!  She is so smart and has great insight on any topic being discussed. Love.her. 

Jenny McCarthy, on the other hand, was more vapid than Abby. 

If I forget about Jenny's checkered history on vaccinations, I liked her better than Abby. She was a pop culture cast, not a political cast. Abby isn't supposed to be vapid, but is. Jenny was supposed to be vapid. I'd trade in either Abby or Meghan for Jenny.

41 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Sara was one of my favorites, sweet, professional, and fun. Miss her! 

I get annoyed when Whoopi is rude to Sunny. It’s just not nearly as bad as Meghan’s rudeness toward Joy. 

I love Sara. Her new show sucks eggs.

I don't ever see what people sees with the Sunny/Whoopi relationship. I think Whoopi likes Sunny, and I don't think she mistreats her.

Whoopi isn't good at explaining things off the cuff.  She's spent too much time as the kind of entertainer who didn't have to hone that skill.

She's not a good moderator these days, but I don't think she's awful (or even a little off) to Sunny. I just think that's their vibe.

22 minutes ago, heysmilinstrange said:

I really liked Sara, too. Does anyone know why she left the show so quickly?

She and Michael Strahan got their own show.

Some people think it was because of Meghan. I just think the network removed her from slot A and put her into slot B. It probably wasn't difficult to leave because of Meghan, however. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, General Days said:

If I forget about Jenny's checkered history on vaccinations, I liked her better than Abby. She was a pop culture cast, not a political cast. Abby isn't supposed to be vapid, but is. Jenny was supposed to be vapid. I'd trade in either Abby or Meghan for Jenny.

I love Sara. Her new show sucks eggs.

I don't ever see what people sees with the Sunny/Whoopi relationship. I think Whoopi likes Sunny, and I don't think she mistreats her.

Whoopi isn't good at explaining things off the cuff.  She's spent too much time as the kind of entertainer who didn't have to hone that skill.

She's not a good moderator these days, but I don't think she's awful (or even a little off) to Sunny. I just think that's their vibe.

She and Michael Strahan got their own show.

Some people think it was because of Meghan. I just think the network removed her from slot A and put her into slot B. It probably wasn't difficult to leave because of Meghan, however. 

Abby guest hosted when Jenny was there. 

7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Exactly what I was going to post! Lol

I enjoy Yvette Nicole Brown anytime I see her guest hosting on TV. I don’t know if she’s technically ever auditioned. (I’ve also seen her guest host The Real.)

I didn’t watch The View when Jenny McCarthy was on, but I find her very entertaining in general and wonder what it would be like to have her back. 

I like the idea of having at least one younger woman there, and at least one conservative woman there. Meghan sounded great until I got to know her.

Really I just want someone who can have a respectful debate and not bully Joy.

I think all the women mentioned would have been better on the show. 

It was THE WORST season in my opinion.  I used to like her but I am kinda meh on her now.  

Even though I am pretty liberal I enjoy having a mixture of views on the show.  They haven't found the conservative host that does it for me yet.  I do like Ana and think she would be WAY better than MM.  I did like Tara when she was on.  I want to be challenged on various views but I don't want the snotty childlike responses of the entitled little brat we have now.  Surely there is someone better out there who got where they are some other way than their dad.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
On 4/12/2019 at 12:49 PM, blondiec0332 said:

Erin Hershey Presley was the third one after Elisabeth and Rachel. 

13 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

That was who it was.  I knew it was someone from a soap. 

I would be curious as to how long she or Rachel would've lasted on The View had they been hired. 

• Love 2
(edited)
54 minutes ago, rcc said:

Rosie has said in her blog that it wasn't true about S.E.

The fact that it was reported in various news outlets (although granted tabloids) and that the test show was in front of a live studio audience leads me to believe it's true.

https://twitter.com/NYCCONS/status/1132695680923897856

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/08/the-view-rosie-odonnell-whoopi-goldberg-s-e-cupp-sunny-hostin-sherri-shepherd-jenny-mccarthy/

Edited by Gabriel Sanders
4 hours ago, TheView said:

Rachel Campos-Duffy is the biggest What Could've Been. 

If she had gotten the job we would have gotten multiple maternity leave breaks from her considering she's 47 and pregnant with her 9th child. I'm still glad she never made it as a full time host though with what she's felt like was appropriate to spew from her mouth over the years especially recently.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Jaded said:

If she had gotten the job we would have gotten multiple maternity leave breaks from her considering she's 47 and pregnant with her 9th child. I'm still glad she never made it as a full time host though with what she's felt like was appropriate to spew from her mouth over the years especially recently.

She's one of Meghan's friends 

images.jpeg

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, Gabriel Sanders said:

The fact that it was reported in various news outlets (although granted tabloids) and that the test show was in front of a live studio audience leads me to believe it's true.

Multiple people were tested. Lauren Sanchez and October Gonzalez were two others. O'Donnell even talked about how she was surprised when the showrunners picked Perez because she wasn't even one of the people tested. I remember neither Whoopi nor Rosie O'Donnell liked Cupp and she didn't test well with the audience to boot. Nicolle is one of the few that were tested behind-the-scenes who had also been on an aired show prior to Rosie's return, too, and she made a good impression in that appearance. No real surprise Nicolle was chosen.

Even if Rosie O did keep her off the show all by herself, I say good. Cupp's another friend of McCain's. While she doesn't seem as awful as her, I can't help thinking that anyone connected to McCain must be putrid in some way.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 6