Type keyword(s) to search

Leaving Neverland

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

James wanted to be a director, right? I want to be sure of that.

I don't know how much he really wanted it. He was a kid at the time he was with Jackson and MJ got cameras and stuff for him to make movies around Neverland and told him he was going to be the next Steven Spielberg (he seems to have said the same thing to Wade) but at least in the documentary I didn't get the impression it was a truly serious dream to him as a grown-up. Seems like Wade was sort of a rarity in that he really did find his passion early and went after it all on his own from an early age. Poor James wasn't even a Michael Jackson fan when he did the commercial (a line of work his mom seems to have gotten him into).

That's part of what makes the Jacksons' claims about him seem so false, like they're trying to claim he was just another amateur who had the illusion of a career as long as the Jacksons gave him jobs like the Cirque du Soleil show when he was very publicly producing work anyone could see and getting hired for stuff where he really had to deliver.

• Love 10
On 3/14/2019 at 1:20 PM, izabella said:

Most people with crappy childhoods who are suffering get help from psychiatrists and psychologists.  Jackson had all the money in the world to get the best psychiatric care in the world to ease his suffering from his childhood.  Had he taken that step, who knows how many boys wouldn't have had their childhoods stolen through Jackson's sexual abuse.  I honestly have no sympathy for his lost childhood.  There are all kinds of people who have had crappy childhoods.  Few of them had his resources and access to the best care possible to help them.

I'm not really sure MJ wanted help. He seemed to revel in all the pedophilia fame and money can buy. 

My question for all these MJ defenders is: if MJ came to you and said "I want your nine your old to sleep over in Neverland in the same bed" would they be okay with it? I'll place bets that the Jackson siblings probably never wanted their own family to sleep over in Neverland.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Sharonana said:

Watched the Bashir documentary yesterday. It had been many years since I saw it. I'm such a softie and at times felt sorry that he had such a shitty childhood. Many people have regrettable childhoods, but they don't hurt other children because of it.

I felt the same way, when I watched the Bashir interview.  I caught myself feeling bad for little Michael when he talked about the abuse, then I had to remind myself that adult Michael probably abused other innocent children, himself.  It was quite a moment.

13 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Even the whole thing of "he can't defend himself" is ironic since for years Michael Jackson had a far far bigger platform than a documentary, even one that got shown on HBO. He got to give his side of the story all over the place but suddenly none of it's on the level of this documentary.

Not to mention, he actually defended himself in court, with the best defense money can buy.  He told his story, people.  Time for the victims to have a voice and tell THEIR stories.

Edited by Shakma
  • Love 7

I don’t think this has been posted yet Cell phone footage of their q&a session after the Sundance premiere.

It’s only 15 minutes and doesn’t offer a whole lot of new info, but it’s just more evidence that these guys are tremendous actors if they are lying. They were obviously emotional, but the thing that got me was their body language when the moderator said they were going to take questions from the audience. You see Wade take a deep breath to steel himself, and James has a sort of, “Oh, boy. Here we go” smile/smirk. They obviously expected someone in the audience to slam them (didn’t happen). Just a very telling moment when they probably weren’t all that cognizant of being on camera.

And the answer Wade gave when asked about the fans who are calling them liars was remarkably empathetic.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Shakma said:

I felt the same way, when I watched the Bashir interview.  I caught myself feeling bad for little Michael when he talked about the abuse, then I had to remind myself that adult Michael probably abused other innocent children, himself.  It was quite a moment.

Not to mention, he actually defended himself in court, with the best defense money can buy.  He told his story, people.  Time for the victims to have a voice and tell THEIR stories.

I'm rewatching that interview as well.  And Michael does come off as sympathetic when talking about his relationship with his father. Like you - I had to remind myself to temper my sympathy for him - that this man thought nothing of abusing other people's children to satisfy his own needs.    I do have to wonder how much of what Michael put out for public interviews was the real Michael or was it the carefully constructed Michael they all wanted us to see while he hid in plain sight.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, cinsbythesea said:

I was afraid this was going to put Paris on tilt again.   I hope she is okay and they will make sure she's got adequate psychiatric support for ALL of this once she's released.  

Yes me too - I get text alerts and I wasn't surprised but I am so sad for her. Every person in her life failed her: a selfish father who wanted children with no mother around, a mother who outright sold two children, walked away to a cozy ranch which she got on the backs of her children. Then left to a family who sees her as nothing but a meal ticket. Her two brothers seem lovely and supportive so hopefully that will assist in her recovery. 

• Love 5

Several reports say she herself was molested by a relative. Not her father. She's clearly very lost and disturbed, and maybe was even before he died. I feel like we're seeing the tip of the iceberg. It's so tragic.

I don't feel optimistic for her, but hopefully she'll eventually come through this. She has access to the best possible health care and has at least some family she's close to. I think everyone is afraid of an Amy Winehouse kind of scenario. I'm sure all of us here are hoping for something better for her. At the very least, I sense people like her. I don't think she'll be a target of bullying. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

In all honesty, she has to stay off Twitter. Not good for someone with mental illness.

Absolutely - Thursday she posted and honestly, she seemed almost glib - and I knew that was not going to be received well. Social Media is a dangerous playground my friends. You can lose everything in 140 characters or less.

• Love 5

I wonder how either Taj or Taryll Jackson (Tito's boys) would feel if people told them they were lying about being molested? Taj admitted he was molested by a relative on his mother's side, and Taryll told Iyanla he was molested by an uncle (not one of his dad's siblings). Probably the same guy. But since none of us saw it, and they only admitted to it as adults, it couldn't POSSIBLY have happened, right? (/Sarcasm)

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Razzberry said:

Just reading the comments on sites like TMZ and YouTube is a waste of time and makes me weep for mankind.  They've now turned on Oprah.

I never read the comments on those sites any more. It's like staring into a sewer. I comfort myself by thinking most of them are written by disgruntled 14 year old boys on weed, posting and snickering at their own outrageousness. I don't think the comments are representative of the average human, I truly don't. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

James wanted to be a director, right? I want to be sure of that.

Not sure, but if you mean as a kid?

I wouldn't put all that much into it, kids want to be firemen, ballerinas, astronauts, all kinds of things.

Why do you ask?

• Love 4

I finished rewatching the Bashir interview - I remember initially seeing it and there was an ick factor then - but watching it now, knowing what we know - that was one creepy interview.   Michael was either a fabulous liar or he was delusional about his behavior.   And those eyes of his in that interview - there's just nothing in them - they're just empty.   Very disturbing. 

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Not sure, but if you mean as a kid?

I wouldn't put all that much into it, kids want to be firemen, ballerinas, astronauts, all kinds of things.

Why do you ask?

I just remember right at the beginning from Leaving Neverland of James saying MJ promising all these emphasis on directing or being the next Spielberg. You know, securities for his future, etc. I possibly have to watch it again. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Catgyrl said:

Yeah, and those DON'T look like bandages on each of her hands... 

0316-paris-jackson-backgrid-9.jpg

Well in all honesty, her wrists are covered with a jacket. At 81° where she is today in LA, that's suspicious at the very least. It is rare for TMZ to be wrong. 

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, cinsbythesea said:

I finished rewatching the Bashir interview - I remember initially seeing it and there was an ick factor then - but watching it now, knowing what we know - that was one creepy interview.   Michael was either a fabulous liar or he was delusional about his behavior.   And those eyes of his in that interview - there's just nothing in them - they're just empty.   Very disturbing. 

When I was barely an adult, I was reading everything by the Marquis de Sade.  I tend to go on tangents, so I'll read everything about, for example, cold war spying, or art restoration, or every single book an author I like wrote, etc.  It's probably why I've been reading so many articles and watching videos about MJ this week.

I remember his feelings about sex with children, kind of vaguely really, but a few things still resonate.  He felt, or said he felt, that adult problems with sex or sexuality stemmed from repressing and restricting natural sexual urges of children.  In one tale, he raises his daughter from infant-hood to enjoy sex and feel no guilt.  He restricted all access to her by others who could taint her "natural self" and focused specifically on encouraging and normalizing all sexual expressions from her, the goal being to raise her without the shame and secrecy of the time.

It was an odd read, but at times, he was very convincing, and in spite of my disgust, I stayed with him, to see if he could make his case, which, obviously, didn't just talk about that girl, but also organized religion's detrimental effects on society and social conditioning.

I think that popped into my mind today, and made me consider something.

We know there are websites out there encouraging and trying to normalize adults having sex with children.  I'm pretty sure they found evidence that MJ knew of, read some of those sites.

So, go to his disastrous Bashir interview. 

I think it may be possible that MJ honestly believed, or willingly deceived himself to believe that he "loved" these boys, that he was special enough (ala the Marquis) to "get" more than society was capable of understanding.  Even if this is true though, and I think it may be, I'd bet there were moments of clarity when he did realize it was wrong...but maybe not.  He preferred living in a magical world, and he was considered nearly a God by many. 

I don't think I'm saying this well at all, but what I'm trying to ask here is how possible is it that his denials about "not doing anything wrong" and proclamations about "pure love" did he actually believe?   Because of the Bashir interview, I think it's very possible that, at least at times, he DID believe that, and disastrously attempted to convince others, while obviously pretty stoned.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, DuckyinKy said:

Well in all honesty, her wrists are covered with a jacket. At 81° where she is today in LA, that's suspicious at the very least. It is rare for TMZ to be wrong. 

I can see the bandages extending down to her fingers, kinda like fingerless gloves. But far be it for a Jackson to lie about anything. (Sorry, this whole situation leaves a sour taste in my mouth.)

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Catgyrl said:

I can see the bandages extending down to her fingers, kinda like fingerless gloves. But far be it for a Jackson to lie about anything. (Sorry, this whole situation leaves a sour taste in my mouth.)

My apologies, I understand. 

ETA: Police confirm there was a suicide call at her home this morning. 

Edited by DuckyinKy
2 minutes ago, DuckyinKy said:

My apologies, I understand. 

No need to apologize at all. This is all so crazy. Michael was my first crush, my first record album, my first concert back in 1979. Now I feel sick to my stomach hearing his songs. It's like they're all taught to lie. Notice we haven't heard a peep from Janet or TJ?

Edited by Catgyrl
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

don't think I'm saying this well at all, but what I'm trying to ask here is how possible is it that his denials about "not doing anything wrong" and proclamations about "pure love" did he actually believe?   

This reminds me a lot of R. Kelly who also seems completely convinced he's done nothing wrong. He also seems to have a similar belief that he's special or somehow has divine dispensation to live however he wants. (This is going by things I saw him say in the Lifetime special.) I'm sure there are various psychological terms to describe this state where a person feels like they're somehow above other people, and can do no wrong. 

Maybe the best description I read was an article where the writer said that Michael was "driven insane" by fame. I'm not sure he's wrong, and I don't think Michael is the only one this could be said about. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Catgyrl said:

No need to apologize at all. This is all so crazy. Michael was my first crush, my first record album, my first concert back in 1979. Now I feel sick to my stomach hearing his songs. It's like they're all taught to lie. Notice we haven't heard a peep from Janet or TJ?

I understand, my first crush was Elvis and at 13 in 1974, my first live concert. Some of the things people said at the time crushed me. One commentator, when talking about the "mute MJ" and "mute RKelley" said at the end of the day, enjoy their music - just don't let them babysit your kids. I know this is hard on you. But don't lose those memories. They made you who you are. I promise you don't have to shoulder the bad things. Cheers to you and yours!

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, DuckyinKy said:

I understand, my first crush was Elvis and at 13 in 1974, my first live concert. Some of the things people said at the time crushed me. One commentator, when talking about the "mute MJ" and "mute RKelley" said at the end of the day, enjoy their music - just don't let them babysit your kids. I know this is hard on you. But don't lose those memories. They made you who you are. I promise you don't have to shoulder the bad things. Cheers to you and yours!

You are so sweet - thank you! 

• Love 3

When you grow up thinking the sun shines out of your ass from the time you're a nine, or ten years old...when you work with Motown legends who are practically bowing at your feet, despite the fact that you are half their age, and you grew up idolizing them...when you are given more money than people know what to do with, before your brain is even fully developed...you are going to grow up to be one warped, delusional adult.  There's no getting around it.  This is what happened with Michael Jackson.  I'm not saying this explains every horrible thing he did, but I do think the celebrity worship went too damn far, in his case, and that the man honestly believed he was above reproach, and could do anything he wanted.  He had just enough awareness to know that his "pure love" for young boys was against the law, but I don't think he believed he was doing them any harm.  And hey, it's what he wanted, so why not make it happen?  Everything else in his life had unfolded in that way, so what was really the problem?  Michael Jackson was the center of the universe.  He was the sun.  And, hearing his crazy devoted fans talk about him today, he still is. **eyeroll**

• Useful 2
  • Love 18
30 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

Perfect description, Shakma. Humans just aren't made to handle that much adulation at such a young age without getting... really weird. Most adults can't handle it. 

Yeah, this is why I can’t decide if MJ’s drug abuse and other destructive behavior was the result of guilt over what he’d done eating at him, or just the result of the total mindfuck mega fame does to people.

• Love 5

Moonwalker remains the most I remember about MJ. It was also the first film I watched when I was five going on six. It might have seem cheesy, but the whole film was awesome to someone who can appreciate the visual that MJ presented on MTV. I wasn't a hardcore fan, but I was more like a casual fan. Hell, I even enjoyed that some of his music went to my favorite GTA video game: Vice City. I appreciated the man's musical genius he gave and in my honest opinion, I think Off The Wall was better than Thriller. No question that Thriller is huge, but Off The Wall had the perfect blend of R&B, funk, and disco rolled into one. I confessed that I loved Off The Wall more. 

That is just one thing we can say positive is the music itself.

Well, to return to the subject, I think he fully believed the hype and the fact that Joe did have a hand by coaching Michael to lie about his age when he was part of the Jackson 5. Ever since that tiny lie, MJ went to bigger lies than that: plastic surgery, nose jobs, etc. Especially ever since those 90s-00s interviews he did, he only created a universe that was not his own. It was just out there.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

I appreciated the man's musical genius he gave and in my honest opinion, I think Off The Wall was better than Thriller. No question that Thriller is huge, but Off The Wall had the perfect blend of R&B, funk, and disco rolled into one. I confessed that I loved Off The Wall more. 

Off the Wall was my favorite album, too. Hands-down, no questions asked.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Umbelina said:

When I was barely an adult, I was reading everything by the Marquis de Sade.  I tend to go on tangents, so I'll read everything about, for example, cold war spying, or art restoration, or every single book an author I like wrote, etc.  It's probably why I've been reading so many articles and watching videos about MJ this week.

I remember his feelings about sex with children, kind of vaguely really, but a few things still resonate.  He felt, or said he felt, that adult problems with sex or sexuality stemmed from repressing and restricting natural sexual urges of children.  In one tale, he raises his daughter from infant-hood to enjoy sex and feel no guilt.  He restricted all access to her by others who could taint her "natural self" and focused specifically on encouraging and normalizing all sexual expressions from her, the goal being to raise her without the shame and secrecy of the time.

It was an odd read, but at times, he was very convincing, and in spite of my disgust, I stayed with him, to see if he could make his case, which, obviously, didn't just talk about that girl, but also organized religion's detrimental effects on society and social conditioning.

I think that popped into my mind today, and made me consider something.

We know there are websites out there encouraging and trying to normalize adults having sex with children.  I'm pretty sure they found evidence that MJ knew of, read some of those sites.

So, go to his disastrous Bashir interview. 

I think it may be possible that MJ honestly believed, or willingly deceived himself to believe that he "loved" these boys, that he was special enough (ala the Marquis) to "get" more than society was capable of understanding.  Even if this is true though, and I think it may be, I'd bet there were moments of clarity when he did realize it was wrong...but maybe not.  He preferred living in a magical world, and he was considered nearly a God by many. 

I don't think I'm saying this well at all, but what I'm trying to ask here is how possible is it that his denials about "not doing anything wrong" and proclamations about "pure love" did he actually believe?   Because of the Bashir interview, I think it's very possible that, at least at times, he DID believe that, and disastrously attempted to convince others, while obviously pretty stoned.

3 hours ago, Melina22 said:

This reminds me a lot of R. Kelly who also seems completely convinced he's done nothing wrong. He also seems to have a similar belief that he's special or somehow has divine dispensation to live however he wants. (This is going by things I saw him say in the Lifetime special.) I'm sure there are various psychological terms to describe this state where a person feels like they're somehow above other people, and can do no wrong. 

Maybe the best description I read was an article where the writer said that Michael was "driven insane" by fame. I'm not sure he's wrong, and I don't think Michael is the only one this could be said about. 

41 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Moonwalker remains the most I remember about MJ. It was also the first film I watched when I was five going on six. It might have seem cheesy, but the whole film was awesome to someone who can appreciate the visual that MJ presented on MTV. I wasn't a hardcore fan, but I was more like a casual fan. Hell, I even enjoyed that some of his music went to my favorite GTA video game: Vice City. I appreciated the man's musical genius he gave and in my honest opinion, I think Off The Wall was better than Thriller. No question that Thriller is huge, but Off The Wall had the perfect blend of R&B, funk, and disco rolled into one. I confessed that I loved Off The Wall more. 

That is just one thing we can say positive is the music itself.

Well, to return to the subject, I think he fully believed the hype and the fact that Joe did have a hand by coaching Michael to lie about his age when he was part of the Jackson 5. Ever since that tiny lie, MJ went to bigger lies than that: plastic surgery, nose jobs, etc. Especially ever since those 90s-00s interviews he did, he only created a universe that was not his own. It was just out there.

I think Michael did buy into the hype, as many people who become rich and famous do.  People who worked with Jackson in the late 1990s and earlier 2000s said he wanted back the kind of fame he had in the early 1980s.  MJ wanted everyone, not just his hardcore fans, to adore him just the way he was (I guess that means he wanted  people to accept his "pure" love for little boys, and appreciate his music).  Which sounds crazy, but MJ really was a bad combination of things (Pedophile, rich, famous, and delusional).  Pedophiles who don't have Jackson's money and fame will still use all the same rationales he did to try and make themselves and others believe that they aren't doing anything wrong.  Jackson had the money, power, and fame to get away with a lot.  People don't like believing that the "great" teacher at school, the Little League Coach, etc., would do these kinds of things.  Elevating someone to "God Status" makes it that much easier for them to think they have the right to do anything they want.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Melina22 said:

Ditto 

Me three. Thriller is exquisitely produced (maybe almost too well?), but Off The Wall is superior.

But at the moment, I can’t listen to any of it. A few days after the film aired I was in the pet store when “Scream” started playing. I was just like, ”Really?” I know “in store radio” is just some pre-selected stuff they get from corporate once a month and that had probably been playing in the store for the last several weeks. Just bad timing. But the fact that it was one of MJ’s “Leave Me Alone!” songs made me want to invite him to shove his whole “Everyone picks on me and I’m just an innocent, wounded star child” oeuvre where the sun don’t shine.

Edited by Kostgard
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, MsTree said:

This is going to be an UO...and while I feel badly for Paris' situation, she IS a drama queen...and all this before even seeing the documentary & trying to understand.

I agree.  This girl had the worst possible start in life.  She's very wealthy, and therefore I'm sure is surrounded by people who have a vested interest in keeping her as unwell as possible.  It's sad and I don't see it ending well, documentary or not.  

• Love 6
4 hours ago, MsTree said:

This is going to be an UO...and while I feel badly for Paris' situation, she IS a drama queen...and all this before even seeing the documentary & trying to understand.

As his kid,I don't think she ought to see the documentary if she doesn't want to.  Even then, she would probably take the party line with the rest of the family and feel it wasn't true.  I do think she has some very deep psychologic problems, and, unfortunately, she is surrounded by family members (with the probable exception of her brothers) who put their own selfish needs ahead of hers and are more than happy to exploit her mental health issues.  In other words, I think her immediate family doesn't want her to get into a better place and stop with the suicide attempts, etc.

Any kid raised by a guy like MJ, with all his delusions and faux self-pity, was bound to get screwed up, IMO.  There's a reason he kept his kids isolated from their mothers and even from the rest of the family, just like he did his victims. He needed them to be all about MJ, 24/7.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, DuckyinKy said:

Paris Jackson hospitalized March 16, 2019 after attempted suicide. She slit her wrists after suffering fallout from Leaving Neverland.

It's rich that it's "family sources" informing TMZ that her suicide attempt was related to the documentary. Because it's yet another way those grifters can hijack the narrative about their sainted brother. Paris attempted suicide when she was 15 and has battled mental health issues probably all of her life. She was also raised by a lunatic who, as this documentary points out, either outsourced his parenting duties to the children he was molesting or got wasted and left them to their own devices.

I think her Twitter response of "lies, lies, lies" to the TMZ story was not so much about what she did but the reason they claim why she did it—which was this doc.

26 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

It's rich that it's "family sources" informing TMZ that her suicide attempt was related to the documentary. Because it's yet another way those grifters can hijack the narrative about their sainted brother. Paris attempted suicide when she was 15 and has battled mental health issues probably all of her life. She was also raised by a lunatic who, as this documentary points out, either outsourced his parenting duties to the children he was molesting or got wasted and left them to their own devices.

I think her Twitter response of "lies, lies, lies" to the TMZ story was not so much about what she did but the reason they claim why she did it—which was this doc.

I think she is suffering the same thing that happened to Lindsay Lohan when she spiraled out of control with the partying, smoking, boozing, media bashing, and bizarre behavior pattern which affected her career. It seems like Blanket and Prince are very stable, but I think Paris has no moral responsibility to what she wants to do for her life. Sadly, just because she is rich and has daddy's money, doesn't make her happy at all. Especially when we know who Michael was in life. 

When Wade recalled Michael going upstairs and never returning for that wine bottle, I got a chill when his kids said to Wade they were use to it. Spoke volumes of the type of atmosphere MJ made for his kids.

• Love 15
9 hours ago, MsTree said:

Not UO at all - I feel the same way. As they say, hindsight is 20/20 and when I think back to her speech at his memorial, I remember people telling me that they felt she was fake; no tears, and that the family put her up to it. At the time, I was shocked they would even think that. Now... I'm not so sure.

I find it interesting that the only ones we haven't heard from about the doc are the sisters (Rebbie, LaToya and Janet): The very ones who aren't dependent on the estate for money. (Well, I don't really think LaToya is, cuz at least she's off doing Match Game and Masked Singer to bring in some money. LOL!)

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

That was absolutely the first thing I thought. I know almost nothing about Paris herself but of course "sources" were just outright saying that, basically, Robeson, Safechuck and Reed made her try to kill herself with their lives and they hope they're proud of themselves!

The little I do know about her I don't really like, I admit. But that could definitely be the fault of her environment.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Glanced at a thread on Facebook.  I didn't see one person there who wasn't defending MJ, and calling this documentary BS, and James and Wade liars, opportunists, and more.

And probably none of them have seen the whole documentary. SMH.

• Love 6

Actually, ever since the documentary came on HBO, their supposed Broadway musical of MJ was postponed, radio stations not airing MJ music, a fashion designer canceling MJ inspired fashion off the market, and an Indianapolis museum taking away a couple of MJ memorabilia off the shelf; I say that speaks volumes as how impacted their estate must feel. I know they really won't lose money, but everybody who is or was a MJ fan must be throwing away their albums now.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 4