Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E13: An Episode of Firsts

preeya
  • Start Topic

All hell breaks loose as the final five chefs struggle through a new challenge, leading to a bitter elimination that dramatically alters the dynamic of the group. As the remaining chefs reach the final stages of the competition, the pressure is at an all-time high.

37 minutes ago, preeya said:

that dramatically alters the dynamic of the group. As the remaining chefs reach the final stages of the competition, the pressure is at an all-time high.

Do these people really think that we believe this BS hype? I'm sorry but my IQ is above room temperature.

• Love 2

Why is Bret still there?  And why do the other chefs humor him?  I get it that Heather had a reputation going into this, and a bit of an attitude, but Bret isn't exactly a choir boy either.  

31 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

lol. that indoor skydiving did look fun.  question, as a definite amateur cook, how hard is it to make a hollandaise?

Not that hard if you use Julia Child's Easy Blender Hollandaise Recipe, which has never failed me.  I've done it the classic way too and the only tricky part is not letting the eggs get too hot and whisking them enough so they don't form curds.

• Love 2

And there is Motto simply replying to Gordon's question while Heather and Brett are busy accusing each other of everything and everything that's gone wrong this season. It's hilarious to watch. 

Not gonna miss you, Heather.

• Love 9

This just showed that Heather should have left last week. First, her eggs benedicts were a hot mess. How could Ramsay say "I don't feel that it's you?" That's her all over.

I thought that maybe today wasn't the day for Ariel to talk about the mentorship program being over, since Mia was the one who told her that prosciutto was the second protein in the eggs benedict. 

Christina looked so young in the flashback!

• Love 5

I figured it was Heather going home so her faltering again wasn't a surprise.  Just irritated that Kanae didn't get a shot but oh well.  I loved how Mia stood her ground tonight especially with Brett.  I loved how she didn't get mad and just talked at him when he was trying to bring her down.  I loved it.  He is just a disgusting, gross person.  She has been the only one to call him out.  Maybe my earlier comments that she wasn't ready to win are wrong.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Heather's cartoonish eyebrows bug me.  Any expression she makes is exaggerated by those weirdly drawn-on brows. 

How many times did she say "I apologize?"

Mia was right. If you don't do anything wrong, there is no need for apologies.

• Love 5

Motto and Ariel have to be the Final 2 at this point, probably with Ariel winning. If Bret does not go home next episode, that would be absolutely insane. Heather didn't seem to be as good as she was in her season, so I can understand the elimination.

• Love 3

I didn't like Heather the first time around and she did nothing this season to change my mind.  I almost preferred Bret as loathsome as he is so I didn't care which one left first.  Hopefully, Bret will go next week.

Mia is cute and apparently a pretty good cook but she's small and young with a babyish voice.  I can't picture her in charge of a restaurant at this stage of her career so I imagine the final two will be Motto and Ariel.  I prefer Motto but I think Ariel will win unless she somehow falls apart in the final episode.

• Love 5

Ariel and Mia are mean girls. Goddamn.  Mia and Bret can go next in any order and that would be aces.

Mia nominating Motto was WTF.  He basically ran the meat station with nothing sent back.  He has such a chill attitude and I love it.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Ariel and Mia are mean girls. Goddamn.  Mia and Bret can go next in any order and that would be aces.

Mia nominating Motto was WTF.  He basically ran the meat station with nothing sent back.  He has such a chill attitude and I love it.

I wonder at chefs, as they ALL seem to have a mean streak. It seems to be a part of their disciplined training, I wonder do they all have harsh mentors? I'd love to hear an interview with Christina re GR, since she has been with him awhile.

11 minutes ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

The right person went home. Mia got awfully flustered a couple of times, but Motto basically had to do Heather's job for her when he took over the fish station.

Heather came in with the mindset that because she was a previous runner-up she was a shoo-in for this competition. I don't recall her prior season, but she was a total fuckup in this one. Especially with all her apologies for those fuckups. She was totally unimpressive.

• Love 3
Just now, preeya said:

Heather came in with the mindset that because she was a previous runner-up she was a shoo-in for this competition. I don't recall her prior season, but she was a total fuckup in this one. Especially with all her apologies for those fuckups. She was totally unimpressive.

No love for Heather, but because of her missing her son, her head was clearly not in the game.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

because of her missing her son, her head was clearly not in the game.

Maybe but this is not an unusual situation, it happens with a lot of military families, it is not always the husband who gets deployed to places where she (or he) may die, not just lose a cooking competition. I can't cut her any slack on this, she chose to go on the show, knowing what that would entail.

• Love 6

Wow, Brett and Heather are some nasty human beings. Glad Heather is gone. Brett hopefully is next. He was a sexist, macho pig in that confrontation with Mia. It was clear to me that his main issue with her is that she's a small female, and therefore he has no respect for her.

As she intelligently pointed out, his criticisms were about her facial expressions and mannerisms, not her performance in the kitchen. So if she were some 6 foot 2 dude with a deep voice, apparently he would have no issues.

For several weeks now, Ariel has seemed so far and away the only logical choice to be the winner, which makes me worry that she won't win, so that they can have a surprise ending.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:54 PM, tinkerbell said:

what the hell was he talking about - at 20 years old, the judge said he was looking at 30 years in prison?   huh?  what did he do and why is he out? 

I took it as just another example of Brett's extreme exaggeration when it comes to anything about himself. No more likely than all the conquests of women that he brags about. Just like he wants people to think he's the world's greatest lover, he wants people to think he's the baddest dude on the planet.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:44 AM, Mystery said:

I thought that maybe today wasn't the day for Ariel to talk about the mentorship program being over, since Mia was the one who told her that prosciutto was the second protein in the eggs benedict. 

Good point. I guess some people feel that Mia doesn't have the personality or presence to be an executive chef, but I don't think anyone can doubt her cooking ability or food knowledge, which are as impressive as anyone who's ever been on this show. I even think she might do well on Top Chef, and it's rare I've ever felt that way about any contestant on this show.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, Rammchick said:

No love for Heather, but because of her missing her son, her head was clearly not in the game.

Can't agree with this. One of my biggest annoyances is when RealityShow contestants start crying and making excuses about missing loved ones. (Survivor is notorious for this.) They all know what they signed up for, and the goals they are seeking. She was a runner-up on her prior attempt. I guess she didn't miss her son as much back then? It's a weak excuse, at best.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 6

I was so happy to see that Heather was back along with Ariel but Heather sure did go downhill.   I think maybe since she had her hand on the door her season,  her over confidence was her worst enemy.    I think that was pretty much the case with all the veterans on this season.

• Love 1
On 27.1.2019 at 3:57 PM, preeya said:

Can't agree with this. One of my biggest annoyances is when RealityShow contestants start crying and making excuses about missing loved ones. (Survivor is notorious for this.) They all know what they signed up for, and the goals they are seeking. She was a runner-up on her prior attempt. I guess she didn't miss her son as much back then? It's a weak excuse, at best.

Maybe the kid didn't exist back then? It's probably different doing Hell's Kitchen as a parent.

You can have an idea of what you're getting into, but then find that the situation is harder than what you imagined. That's human and I'm not going to hold it against them.

2 hours ago, fivestone said:

Maybe the kid didn't exist back then? It's probably different doing Hell's Kitchen as a parent.

You can have an idea of what you're getting into, but then find that the situation is harder than what you imagined. That's human and I'm not going to hold it against them.

The kid did exist then. He even visited in episode13 of season16. The one Heather was playing cuddles with Andrew the engaged doofus.

• Love 3