Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: The Things We Do

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Sorry about forgetting to make an episode thread last week, all. Swore I started it, but I guess not. Glad someone thought to make a thread!

Dr. Halstead rushes to rescue Dr. Manning after she is involved in a Medevac helicopter crash. The personal drama between Dr. Rhodes and Dr. Bekker boils over. Dr. Charles and Dr. Choi work to help a patient come to terms with their addiction. April helps Elsa deal with the loss of her first patient.

8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Dr. Halstead rushes to rescue Dr. Manning after she is involved in a Medevac helicopter crash.

Is she going to lose an arm?  I mean, if they're cribbing directly from ER.

8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

The personal drama between Dr. Rhodes and Dr. Bekker boils over.

Hooray, said no one ever.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
13 minutes ago, starri said:

Is she going to lose an arm?  I mean, if they're cribbing directly from ER.

Of good lord could you imagine the angsty drama that would bring.....and I'd like to say jumping the shark but I think they already did that with the panda storyline.

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:44 PM, WendyCR72 said:

…..The personal drama between Dr. Rhodes and Dr. Bekker boils over.....

Daddy pulls the hospital funding, but doubtful much else happens unless Ava leaving the show. 

Spoiler

Feb 06, 2019 - 'Ghosts In The Attic'
…...An incident in the OR involving Dr. Bekker at the hands of Dr. Rhodes may have serious implications.

Edited by VinceW
1 hour ago, VinceW said:

Daddy pulls the hospital funding, but doubtful much else happens unless Ava leaving the show. 

Reveal hidden contents

Feb 06, 2019 - 'Ghosts In The Attic'
…...An incident in the OR involving Dr. Bekker at the hands of Dr. Rhodes may have serious implications.

Oooohhhhh....something might happen...but it won't because it never does.

• Love 2

Christ, I had a panic attack when the camera panned over to the view and the drop down. I wouldn't be able to get near the kid if I were Dr. Charles... and I'm so glad he saved him. I'm glad the woman is leaving her husband because HOOBOY.

Honestly, Charles and Sharon was the best part of the episode. The rest of it (the doctors, I mean) was a snooze. The stores with the patients were interesting though.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

The mother of the young woman with Downs Syndrome should have had her on birth control.

Please tell me there is not another 'pregnancy' storyline?

Edit.....face palm....what was I thinking.

Edited by Guildford
Just started watching it.....
  • Love 1

They fooled me with the kid...it would have been too obvious if it was about the dad abusing him, but I thought the twist was going to be that the mom was (hence him running away, afraid the dad would die and leave him alone with her).

• Love 7

Did this seem like the longest hour ever??  Sorry but this episode just dragged and there was no drama; everything seemed so predictable (and the acting was terrible.)  Maybe one of the WORST.EPISODES.EVAH, imo

Recap:

The alcoholic dad (figured that as soon as i saw the water bottle, especially after the jaundiced/liver failure diagnosis).  I thought they'd go down the physically abusive road with mom/son but took the more mental abuse - moreso with the kid.

"Boiled over" (Rhodes/Bekker) - he asked a couple of questions, which of course, she denied.  So now, he "doesn't know what to think"???    

Hated the side-eye, side-long glances from Choi and April.   Can you make him look any more desperate and pining away?   You really want her to have the upper hand now?   If he goes crawling back to her, they just deserve each other.  

Down Syndrome - took that almost directly from a L & O SVU episode.

Manstead - what can I say?  You saw that, e.g., reconciliation, coming from a mile away  When she asked him to move back but get rid of the gun, the expression on his face said, "you just won't know I've kept it" and what happens, goes to the police station but doesn't turn it over - no surprise there! 

Lastly, does anyone else see the possibility of Sharon and Dr. Charles dating---I hope not!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, cathmed said:

Hated the side-eye, side-long glances from Choi and April.   Can you make him look any more desperate and pining away?   You really want her to have the upper hand now?   If he goes crawling back to her, they just deserve each other.  

Yes.  I'm sick of the glances between those two.  I'd like for Choi to tell her the kiss was a mistake and he really loves Vicky, but we know that's not going to happen.   April knows she's got him where she wants him.

I guess I was supposed to feel sorry for Curry shedding a few tears after seeing the pen of that dead patient, but I didn't.  She still shouldn't have any direct contact with patients.  She belongs in a research lab somewhere.

Still don't care about Will/Natalie and Rhodes/Bekker.  Whatever.

I wouldn't have a problem with Sharon and Dr. Charles dating if they each worked at different hospitals, but I'm tired of the workplace dating.

• Love 5

Why does this show make it so hard to root for any of the couples? If they're not totally lacking in chemistry (Rhodes/Bekker, Choi/April) they're dysfunctional (Will/Natalie, Choi/April again).

I liked the alcoholic storyline and the kid with the broken arm. A lot of suicidal thoughts and attempts by children get missed as accidents. I cheered the wife being willing to leave him for the sake of her son.

I also like Charles hiding what he was doing from Sharon and then her helping him fill out the dating form. (Why is it always someone else filing out those forms for a person on TV?) I hope they don't start dating, I like the way they are now.  He's had two, possibly three divorces, I hope he's got a handle on what's going wrong.

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I guess I was supposed to feel sorry for Curry shedding a few tears after seeing the pen of that dead patient, but I didn't.  She still shouldn't have any direct contact with patients.  She belongs in a research lab somewhere.

I felt a little sorry for her.  She should be in a research lab and she wants to blame the ER chief who didn't supervise her properly and who later sent her in to tell the wife alone. I hope the wife sues his ass.

4 hours ago, cathmed said:

Does the show think that we're just so excited hoping they'll get back together? They are just so awful together, and the fact that Choi is going to dump a smart, self-sufficient woman who actually cares about him for sanctimonious, judgemental twit April who thinks she's better than he is. Just stop the longing looks, I'm rooting for Choi grow a brain cell. It's painful to see them together.

• Love 6

Kudos to the writers for taking something that should be filled with tension and excitement, a freaking helicopter crash, and making it as dull as a fender bender that occurred in front of the hospital at very slow speed. 

April must practice those looks in front of a mirror. All I can think about is that old Carol Burnett character that was the old movie actress that had the super fake eyelashes and made all those over emoting faces. Lol

Isnt Wills brother a cop, why would he have to drive to the police station to turn his gun in? And speaking of this gun he carries for “protection”. I’m not sure having it locked in a case in the trunk, closet, under the bed really makes sense if you thought you might need it to protect yourself. It seems he is treating more like his wooby than a firearm.

This show provides me with more snarky entertainment than anything else on tv right now (I’m looking at you New Amsterdam - close tie though).

• Love 10
1 hour ago, langford peel said:

My fondest wish is that Halstead uses the gun to shoot Manning and put us all out of our misery.

I'm dying here! That would be so awesome.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, sadie said:

Kudos to the writers for taking something that should be filled with tension and excitement, a freaking helicopter crash, and making it as dull as a fender bender that occurred in front of the hospital at very slow speed. 

April must practice those looks in front of a mirror. All I can think about is that old Carol Burnett character that was the old movie actress that had the super fake eyelashes and made all those over emoting faces. Lol

Isnt Wills brother a cop, why would he have to drive to the police station to turn his gun in? And speaking of this gun he carries for “protection”. I’m not sure having it locked in a case in the trunk, closet, under the bed really makes sense if you thought you might need it to protect yourself. It seems he is treating more like his wooby than a firearm.

This show provides me with more snarky entertainment than anything else on tv right now (I’m looking at you New Amsterdam - close tie though).

I see the resemblance. 

6bb2dc3dd8e78b64572d550193f028a7.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I stopped regularly watching this show, but I check in every now and then to see if it's gotten better. Somehow it's worse. 

The episode begins with Torrey DeVitto doing a truly terrible job acting like she was in pain. I like how a dislocated shoulder was meant to be conveyed by her wincing twice and saying "Ow" once. That was a fine performance. Then when Will comes on the scene, Natalie's temper tantrum ("I said I can do it myself!") took precedence over, say, making sure the little boy wasn't dying. 

What can be said about Will? No, really, what can be said about him, because he's either terribly boring and predictable (e.g., not turning in the gun), or he's a complete and total asshat. 

I really want someone involved with this show to explain to me why it's evidently so difficult to find a decent love interest to play opposite the charismatic, handsome Colin Donnell. I just don't get it. This Rhodes/Bekker storyline is pure dreck given that the latter has been a terribly written character since she was introduced, and the chemistry between them is nonexistent at best.

I like the Sharon/Dr. Charles friendship. While I would prefer to see it stay that way, I fear that these writers won't be able to help themselves when it comes to putting them into a romance. 

The blonde resident/student? Ugh. 

Speaking of ugh, April and Choi/April. April has become my most thoroughly disliked character currently on TV (Grace from Manifest is a close second). I don't know who told Yaya DaCosta that she can act, but that person is deeply, deeply stupid. All she can do is have a blank look on her face or a sneer, and her voice stays in the same abysmal monotone all the time. The character is so ridiculously, rage-inducingly judgmental, self-righteous, cold, and a complete and total witch. To see Choi - once one of my favorites - pining over her (complete with those ridiculous shared glances that are so OTT and cringeworthy) at the expense of his beautiful, intelligent, accomplished girlfriend, is enough to make me actively dislike him now. 

These writers simply do not know how to write for female characters or for romantic relationships. All of the former (save perhaps Sharon and Maggie) are truly terrible. Halstead is almost always awful. Choi has been ruined. The "relationships" are all forced, chemistry-free, and inevitably make the parties involved look bad. I don't know what the writers are thinking, but it's like they're having a contest amongst themselves to see who can make this show completely unwatchable. 

• Love 14
34 minutes ago, weathered1 said:

I stopped regularly watching this show, but I check in every now and then to see if it's gotten better. Somehow it's worse. 

The episode begins with Torrey DeVitto doing a truly terrible job acting like she was in pain. I like how a dislocated shoulder was meant to be conveyed by her wincing twice and saying "Ow" once. That was a fine performance. Then when Will comes on the scene, Natalie's temper tantrum ("I said I can do it myself!") took precedence over, say, making sure the little boy wasn't dying. 

What can be said about Will? No, really, what can be said about him, because he's either terribly boring and predictable (e.g., not turning in the gun), or he's a complete and total asshat. 

I really want someone involved with this show to explain to me why it's evidently so difficult to find a decent love interest to play opposite the charismatic, handsome Colin Donnell. I just don't get it. This Rhodes/Bekker storyline is pure dreck given that the latter has been a terribly written character since she was introduced, and the chemistry between them is nonexistent at best.

I like the Sharon/Dr. Charles friendship. While I would prefer to see it stay that way, I fear that these writers won't be able to help themselves when it comes to putting them into a romance. 

The blonde resident/student? Ugh. 

Speaking of ugh, April and Choi/April. April has become my most thoroughly disliked character currently on TV (Grace from Manifest is a close second). I don't know who told Yaya DaCosta that she can act, but that person is deeply, deeply stupid. All she can do is have a blank look on her face or a sneer, and her voice stays in the same abysmal monotone all the time. The character is so ridiculously, rage-inducingly judgmental, self-righteous, cold, and a complete and total witch. To see Choi - once one of my favorites - pining over her (complete with those ridiculous shared glances that are so OTT and cringeworthy) at the expense of his beautiful, intelligent, accomplished girlfriend, is enough to make me actively dislike him now. 

These writers simply do not know how to write for female characters or for romantic relationships. All of the former (save perhaps Sharon and Maggie) are truly terrible. Halstead is almost always awful. Choi has been ruined. The "relationships" are all forced, chemistry-free, and inevitably make the parties involved look bad. I don't know what the writers are thinking, but it's like they're having a contest amongst themselves to see who can make this show completely unwatchable. 

Now that, my friend is an awesome rant...and I agree with every single word. Well done.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, cathmed said:

Down Syndrome - took that almost directly from a L & O SVU episode.

Same creator on both shows. The usual spin off of a spin off that sinks everything. I hate myself for watching, even if hate watching.

10 hours ago, weathered1 said:

Al this plus man -child attitude, going back to weekly temper tantrums. 

Now, let me put my disability supporter activist hat. The Down Syndrome story could have been better dealt with (ha ha who am I kidding with these writers?). The terrible, very bad, no no no don't go there: SHE IS NOT A KID. A 25 year-old woman is an adult, Down Syndrome or not. SHE IS NOT A FOREVER KID. SHE IS AN ADULT. 

This is the usual ableist bullshit. And no, mom. WE are not having a baby. SHE is having a baby and yes, you can offer support or even do most of the safety work in the beginning but SHE is having a baby.

Connor fighting for the woman's body autonomy was great but the way he does it, by literally putting her life at risk during surgery is absurd. Besides, during a life threatening situation is not when you change the system - as if it is just a matter of stomping your feet to change the system, just ask the real disabled activists - especially if you claim to be advocating for someone by MAKING THE DECISION FOR THEM, NOT WITH THEM. The mother had power of attorney, unfortunately disabled people are usually deemed incompetent from the get-go with very little options for self-determination and autonomy. But that's the reality. Connor decided that a few minutes with Barbara was enough for him to make decision for her. FOR her. During a heart surgery that could kill her, and the fetus. If the mother had any sense, she would have sued his ass off, and the hospital. 

At least he talked to her, not addressing the mother instead. And what a waste of a good disabled actress. If we we have gotten more of Lauren Potter (and some decent writing)! Instead we got Will being the jerk, Natalie being a saint, Choi and April being whatever the extreme boring word fits, Connor and Ava walking the corridors being outraged at each other like teenagers. 

• Love 7

Wouldn't the parents of a DS kid have had her undergone a tubal ligation before she turned 18? I know some parents of a developmentally delayed man who had him have a vasectomy before he turned 18.

Edited by rhys
2 hours ago, rhys said:

Wouldn't the parents of a DS kid have had her undergone a tubal ligation before she 18? I know some parents of a developmentally delayed man who had him have a vasectomy before he turned 18.

That's terrible and violates the human rights of disabled people. Not uncommon though. Still a violation. Besides, Barbara isn't a kid. She is a woman. People should have the right to live as fully human. Just because supports are inadequate, it is never ok to just deprive someone from bodily autonomy. It is a slippery slope, In this case, the argument is because of the bullshit idea of "mental capacity". The same type of failed argument - some "know better" than others - leads to female genital mutilation, for example.

Medical Power of Attorney should not be used to make the lives of abled people easier. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, rhys said:

Not in my book. I wouldn't want to raise my grandchild

I was referring to someone violating the body autonomy of another person because education is "too hard". If one can find arguments to violate one group of people, anyone can find arguments to violate a different group. Human rights is for everyone, not only the privileged ones. There is a lot that can be done before this physical abuse.

If someone "had ___ done" to someone else, that's abuse.

More, this is eugenics. This is how it started. Sterilizing black people, then disabled people, epileptic people, to achieve a perfect (master, white) human kind. This is history. Some humans never learn. 

• Love 5

Was that display by Curry intended to make me like her?  Because it failed miserably.

This is almost beat-for-beat a scene that Sarah had in S1, but that one worked and this one didn't.

• Love 3

The drama between Dr. Rhodes and Dr. Bekker with descriptor "boils over" becomes he said/she said. Believe Ava. She should take sexual harassment issue to hospital admin over the first encounter if daddy persists with his version. If anything happened between them, viewers would have seen some kind of follow-on scene this episode between the father and son after Connor confronted him last episode. IMO.

Edited by VinceW

How in the world did Will get down into that canyon?? One minute he's at the edge, the next he's down there. Huh.

I'm still not entirely sure what Natalie's main issue with guns is. Is she just afraid Owen will somehow get to it? Or is she just against guns in general? If it's the latter, I can kind of see her point; but for someone who just claimed to be trying a lot harder to see things from Will's POV, she really isn't at all. If having that gun lets him sleep at night, then let him have it, at least when things are still so fresh. They can always revisit the issue in a few months.

• Love 2

Agree with most of the complaints.

It shows how weak this series is that I still find Curry the most interesting person on it. Still poorly written.

The show starts with a helicopter crash. People in helicopter crash act like, “oops, how inconvenient.” People at hospital hear about helicopter crash and go, “everyone OK?” Was this a helicopter crash or a fender-bender?

Please make April stop making those looks. It’s like an SNL skit.

I know Wolf is desperately interjecting anti gun BS, but why hasn’t Will once asked whiny-girl why the gun is so horrifying in the house? Does she think it will grow legs and attack her in the shower? Are there kids in the house? Does she believe Chicago criminals don’t have their own guns? If this is close to a dealbreaker, where’s the conversation? I think Wolf actually hurts his own cause by making her a typical no logic anti gun nut who thinks No Gun Zones mean there’s no guns there.

And... why would he take it to the PD? If it’s a legal gun and he’s got a FOID, why would he give away a pistol he probably paid $400 for? 

I guess the Psych Doc has to date Miss Former Law and Order.

BTW, Miss whiny I Hate Guns is the perfect example of a woman I thought was absolutely stunning, too pretty to play that part, and through her personality has managed to actually become unattractive over time.  Of course, several of the soap opera-cast pretty people on that show have done the same.

• Love 3

By the way, why does this soap opera so desperately want to be New Amsterdam?   Every show a clear legal standard is ignored, and some Doc either decides he/she will ignore what a patient really wants because he knows better or ignores legal, moral, medical procedure because he thinks he knows what the patient really wants.

4 hours ago, SG11 said:

I know Wolf is desperately interjecting anti gun BS, but why hasn’t Will once asked whiny-girl why the gun is so horrifying in the house? Does she think it will grow legs and attack her in the shower? Are there kids in the house? Does she believe Chicago criminals don’t have their own guns? If this is close to a dealbreaker, where’s the conversation? I think Wolf actually hurts his own cause by making her a typical no logic anti gun nut who thinks No Gun Zones mean there’s no guns there. 

And... why would he take it to the PD? If it’s a legal gun and he’s got a FOID, why would he give away a pistol he probably paid $400 for? 

Yes, she has a young child in the house, the son who threw a block at Will's head.  She is concerned because gun accidents happen, especially with kids.  The fact is, gun accidents can't happen if there are no guns in the house.

He would give it to the PD so it doesn't end up in a criminal's hands, like it did with the theft.  If he sold it to someone himself, or gave it away, he wouldn't be doing a background check on the person buying.  I don't know if gun shops take returns.

3 minutes ago, izabella said:

Yes, she has a young child in the house, the son who threw a block at Will's head.  She is concerned because gun accidents happen, especially with kids.  The fact is, gun accidents can't happen if there are no guns in the house.

He would give it to the PD so it doesn't end up in a criminal's hands, like it did with the theft.  If he sold it to someone himself, or gave it away, he wouldn't be doing a background check on the person buying.  I don't know if gun shops take returns.

If she has a young child in the house and she said that was her concern, I’m OK with that. Even if having a young child to protect is even more reason to have a gun in the house, I at least understand her being afraid of that.

Your PD answer makes no sense. Almost all gun shops take guns back, they sell every one they have in stock. If he bought a gun and then just gave it away, that’s just senseless. Citizens sell guns to private citizens every day of the week in Illinois. The seller isn’t responsible for a background check, just needs to keep a copy of the buyers FOID card. You might disagree with the law, but there’s no reason why a private gun owner shouldn’t sell privately within the law.  Most private sellers do so because they are buying a different gun; leaving 4-500 dollars on the table makes no sense.

I think the next time I want to get rid of a car, I’m going to give it to the government instead of selling it because I’m afraid that car might be used in an accident.

Who needs the trade-in?

• Love 3