Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: The Day Before...

• Start Topic

40 minutes ago, pinkglove said:

Maybe she didn't need that much birth control with Jon, it doesn't seem like their sex life was in a good place. 

It is also possible that Jon had had a vasectomy which is the most common method used by married couples in the US.  It could also explain how Delilah is so sure the baby isn't Jon's.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

It is also possible that Jon had had a vasectomy which is the most common method used by married couples in the US.  It could also explain how Delilah is so sure the baby isn't Jon's.

Good point!!  It could also be an interesting twist, if, in a later episode, Delilah learns that it really is Jon’s kid. 

• Love 1

I found this episode interesting. I enjoy seeing situations we already saw from a different perspective.

I could see some chemistry between Eddie and Delilah. In the post death episodes she is just so sad and worn down that it was hard to imagine her being happy.

While it was a break up dinner, Jon didn’t know that and I think it is dickish to leave your wife or anyone waiting like that. I am 45 and have never stood anyone up in my life and I too have a professional job with lots of pressures.

Gary also mentioned something about how awful Katherine is so there is some back story there. I don’t support cheating but I don’t demonize it either. They were going to disclose the affair, sure it happened while they were married but they weren’t planning on keeping it going as an affair indefinitely.

Jon seems like a bit of a dick with regard to his family. It seems he wants everyone else to think he is wonderful except the people that should matter most - his kids and wife. I know people like this in real life so maybe I am just projecting. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I actually don't think Jon had a vasectomy because:

1 - Much was made in an earlier episode about him being a devout Catholic

2 - I doubt that it would be a secret if he had one.  I mean, I know a lot of men who have had them because both they and their female partners have absolutely no problem talking about it. A lot.  I mean, I don't know any woman who talks as much about their IUD as the men I know talk about their vasectomies.  I'm not sure why that is, but there you go.  Anyway, since everyone seems to think Jon is the father of Delilah's precious life, I'm thinking that either Jon is unlike every other man in the world or he didn't have a vasectomy.

2 hours ago, iwasish said:

Good point!!  It could also be an interesting twist, if, in a later episode, Delilah learns that it really is Jon’s kid. 

Or...Delilah has known all along it was Jon's kid.  Just sayin'.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
2 hours ago, fountain said:

Gary also mentioned something about how awful Katherine is so there is some back story there. I don’t support cheating but I don’t demonize it either. They were going to disclose the affair, sure it happened while they were married but they weren’t planning on keeping it going as an affair indefinitely.

Jon seems like a bit of a dick with regard to his family. It seems he wants everyone else to think he is wonderful except the people that should matter most - his kids and wife. I know people like this in real life so maybe I am just projecting. 

That's the thing, we have yet to see how "awful" Katherine is if all she is doing is picking up the same take out all the time. I see more on how Jon and Delilah's marriage started falling apart and I agree, Jon should have spent time with his kids on his last night. We have yet to see any sign he really had any remorse or regret about his two kids. I agree as others have said that Delilah seems to view her kids as just there instead of real caring for them. However, Eddie doesn't come off in any sympthy anywhere. He can't open his mouth about the smallest things. I mean really all he had to say was: "Why do you always get the same take out all the time? There are other places or just send me a text, and I'll make dinner or something." Oh no, he rather just do his guitar lessons, his occasional tours and when he needs to be "the fun dad" and let's Katherine just support and do everything. Of course, could Katherine also go: "You know, I do work too much and it's not me and I need you to pull your weight too." Of course the writers could show that Katherine has just become a work addict and finds more comfort in working long hours and hates it when she comes home. It does happy, where people don't want to leave because they feel they don't function off what they feel comfortable with. We have also see that at times, Katherine does have problems related to her own son along the lines of: "Why can't you just do what I tell you?" Umm... he's a kid, it's called being a parent.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, readster said:

That's the thing, we have yet to see how "awful" Katherine is if all she is doing is picking up the same take out all the time. I see more on how Jon and Delilah's marriage started falling apart and I agree, Jon should have spent time with his kids on his last night. We have yet to see any sign he really had any remorse or regret about his two kids. I agree as others have said that Delilah seems to view her kids as just there instead of real caring for them. However, Eddie doesn't come off in any sympthy anywhere. He can't open his mouth about the smallest things. I mean really all he had to say was: "Why do you always get the same take out all the time? There are other places or just send me a text, and I'll make dinner or something." Oh no, he rather just do his guitar lessons, his occasional tours and when he needs to be "the fun dad" and let's Katherine just support and do everything. Of course, could Katherine also go: "You know, I do work too much and it's not me and I need you to pull your weight too." Of course the writers could show that Katherine has just become a work addict and finds more comfort in working long hours and hates it when she comes home. It does happy, where people don't want to leave because they feel they don't function off what they feel comfortable with. We have also see that at times, Katherine does have problems related to her own son along the lines of: "Why can't you just do what I tell you?" Umm... he's a kid, it's called being a parent.

Part of me thinks that the original Katherine--the one played by Anne Sohn, or whatever her name was--really was as awful as Eddie and Gary have said.  And then they did a complete 180 on her character when Grace Park came on board and they've gotten themselves into a bit of a pickle.

But, anyway, yeah...not only have we not seen how awful Eddie claimed Katherine is, we've seen nothing but the exact opposite of it.  You know what, yeah...Jon and Delilah both were bad spouses.  Eddie was a bad spouse.  Katherine, however, was a pretty good spouse.  She worked a lot--because someone had to, not because she wanted to.  She was really the sole provider for the family as I can't see Eddie bringing in much income by teaching a handful of neighborhood kids.  And, even though she worked crazy hours, she was still a very active parent.  Should she have noticed something was up in her marriage?  Maybe.  But she had spent 7+ years with manchild Eddie so she might not have noticed anything strange once he took up with his best friend's wife (and I still suspect that Delilah wasn't the first time he had stepped out on Katherine).  When the affair was revealed in Band of Dads, she was blindsided by it.  Even though she did admit that things hadn't been working for a while, I find it plausible that she wouldn't have realized it until she found out her husband had been unfaithful.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Even if Jon should have spent more time with his kids on his last night/the day before, I still find Delilah and Eddie to be terrible and especially that last scene we saw of them in this episode.

If Nash is going to try to use Jon's behavior to excuse Delilah's, he has to realize that the audience is going to weigh one against the other.  In my eyes, the sin scale still drops pretty hard on Delilah's side.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

If Nash is going to try to use Jon's behavior to excuse Delilah's, he has to realize that the audience is going to weigh one against the other.  In my eyes, the sin scale still drops pretty hard on Delilah's side.

Truth! Same with if they are going to try and say that Katherine has another side no one sees, but then we as the audience just don't see that. So, how can you make us go; "Well, yes Eddie is a man child, but I see how Katherine wasn't making things easy." Yet, we get Katherine is kicking ass, but just didn't take more notice of things and was more like: "Well, that's Eddie, next case please, I have a mortgage to pay." 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

2 minutes ago, readster said:

Truth! Same with if they are going to try and say that Katherine has another side no one sees, but then we as the audience just don't see that. So, how can you make us go; "Well, yes Eddie is a man child, but I see how Katherine wasn't making things easy." Yet, we get Katherine is kicking ass, but just didn't take more notice of things and was more like: "Well, that's Eddie, next case please, I have a mortgage to pay." 

Yup. I don’t think at this point they can do anything to make Delilah and Eddie likeable.

• Love 1
Just now, WhosThatGirl said:

Yup. I don’t think at this point they can do anything to make Delilah and Eddie likeable.

I think there are two differences though: 

1- I think Eddie is meant to be unlikable, yet Nash thinks we should be sympathetic towards poor, poor Delilah (blech!)

2 - While both are unlikable, I actually still think that Eddie is redeemable.  I mean, he has to hit rock bottom and hit it hard, but I can see a path for his character where he could grow in a positive way.  Delilah is just toxic and there is nothing you can do with that.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, fountain said:

I don’t support cheating but I don’t demonize it either. They were going to disclose the affair, sure it happened while they were married but they weren’t planning on keeping it going as an affair indefinitely.

I don’t think that Eddie and Delilah are the worst because they cheated on their spouses. I think they are the worst for cheating with each other. Even if their reasons for being unhappy in their individual marriages are completely 100% justified there was zero reason for them to betray a friend. That is the thing that I cannot get past. Both characters could be redeemed if it was just an affair but not when we see Eddie laughing and playing basketball with Jon all the while screwing Delilah. And not when Delilah has the nerve to go to Katherine for legal help. 

13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I ripped on Eddie during the first episode because of his petty complaint about Katherine wanting Indian food so I feel vindicated that other people feel the same way too. As I said then, if you don't want Indian food you still have options (besides having an affair and whining to your mistress about it): offer to make dinner! Order or pick up food from somewhere else! Open your mouth and suggest something, ANYTHING! But no, Eddie, you just keep your mouth shut around Katherine so you can feel like you're the silently suffering martyr and then complain about your wife to your friends and your mistress. That will fix everything. Oh, wait, you didn't want to fix your marriage because you'd already decided to dump your wife and run off with your best friend's wife.

I’m actually surprised they re-showed that scene. Eddie looked bad the first time but when rewatching it knowing that it was Delilah on the other in of the line highlights just how despicable his behavior was in the first episode. He spent the entire episode lying to everyone. 

Edited by Guest

Are they wanting me to dislike these characters? It seems counterproductive to the show to dislike so many of them. Eddie is an immature manchild. His wife works a lot while he stays home and plays at rock star has been. Oh the mistreatment. Delilah’s husband isn’t attentive enough and she enjoys the junior high love of the manchild with the sneaky conversations. Grow up! 

Gary is immature and temperamental but he gets a point for the dog. Still the speech about Eddie needing to be happy versus staying in his marriage loses that point. Marriage isn’t all cotton candy and tattoo hearts. Why not encourage your friend to seek counseling or talk to his wife? That’s lightweight cheerleader friendship as opposed to heavyweight hard stuff friendship. Yet again, grow up! 

Maggie? Not interested in the slightest. Hard pass on her scenes  

Jon might not have been perfect but it seemed like everyone dumped their emotional crap in his lap. Putting up with all that gives him wiggle room with me. 

In hindsight, after watching this episode,  I realized Theo’s diorama and day discovering dinosaur facts sounded more interesting than what I watched. 

• Love 6

Some posts claim Jon was always distant and gone often in his long marriage. He wasn't according to his wife, she keeps bringing up "the past 2 years" which Nash wants as his long suicide plot line. I fault both but since she was home not doing very much, she could have said to him, "I'm hurting and need for us to connect a little more, communicate more etc" No she takes up with his best friend, slept with him and had him over her home, kind of gross and I feel a kick to Jon in more than one way.  When the kids find out, it's worse for them too. I tried to imagine my mom saying she was leaving my dad for his best friend, my guitar instructor and "she'd always be there for me" but she needs to be excited. lol  Not quite like this in real life but at least they show some repercussions. Jon did mention his family in the elevator, he thought he was doing it for them. I knew a family like that and the husband worked a high power/long hour job in NYC and commuted to CT. She told him she'd downsize the house, the 3 kids would be fine and she'd like him around more. I haven't seen that happen often but it works for some. It also seems like the last straw was losing the money Jon thought he'd get and telling Ashley he had no other out.

There was a small scene with the Delilah traffic ticket and Eddie in the car in the picture. She seemed upset by it and I wonder if in some way she was angry at her and didn't want to give her the things Jon left. Sure she kissed him but in the wake of the suicide and loving him, she might not understand what his wife was doing and acted emotionally. Too much time has gone by for that though and I'm glad next show she apologizes and gives her the things.

I think Jon did know what his wife wanted with that dinner, the "talk", he knew about Eddie, confirmed when he saw him in the window and it was just bad planning on Deliahs part to pick the night everything fell on his shoulders. He didn't want to be with Ashley but she was the easiest to tell some of his secrets too, give his instructions and say good bye in a way. It seemed he knew the call would come the way it did. Can you imagine having to listen to his wife say how much she loved Eddie, but he left them all his blessing to love each other, that's enough I guess.  If he did come to dinner, she would fully blame herself and Eddie for pushing him over the ledge. Somewhat better this way, she feels slightly guilty but more removed.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2

I still like this show, despite some weird stuff happening and some bad editing (I am guessing it is the editing). One thing I noticed is how many here seem to like the actor who plays Jon a lot, and when I see people saying that the show is better when Jon has more to say, I tend to think that it is a little biased. This is not intended to criticize or call out, just an observation. I don't know that actor, no idea of who he is, and the episodes seem pretty much the same level to me. Just a funny, to me, thing to observe.

I don't mind if the writers are saying  E+D is a result of their troubled marriages. It could be. Having affairs, even when you are certain it is love, is not that uncommon when relationships are going through a bad phase for whatever reason. It is a choice, maybe a bad one, a selfish one, but at the moment things are happening, people might just pretend to believe everything will be ok, or they might actually believe, or they might be total jerks, and still make that choice, trulls believing it is the right one. The thing is, it happens, and the justifications might not be satisfactory to others, they might be selfish, but they are part of the reality of the people who are having the affair. It might be real love, or it might fall apart after a while. It still happens. Human beings, what can I say. We are a bunch of flaws and we usually see them in others only.

If Jon had not died, maybe E and D would come clear and be forever happy. Or they would come clear, cause a lot of pain, and then realize they don't really love each other. This is also very much part of reality. I like this nuanced part of the writing.

I am still not getting Ashley. To me, she is a character without personality. She is only a complement to Jon's life. When she had that night with Gary, she showed a little more of who she is but that was it. Badly written character.

Nitpick of the episode: When Delilah was checking the smoke alarm Jon said that it was "dangerous". Really? The thing wasn't even all the way up on the ceiling. She stood on a stool. If that is dangerous I might be some sort of superhero going all the way up a ladder - and being afraid of heights - to change the batteries of smoke alarms. Not to mention when I had to walk on the roof!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, readster said:

Why not just order from two different places? Lots of times my family orders pizza and Chinese or Thai and Mexican. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Laurie14 said:

Why did Maggie pack up her apt after her dad left?

She said to make it easier when she died. From what I read in a recap, her dad knew about previous cancer but not that it returned. She didn't want to tell him she wasn't planning on fighting it for obvious reasons. Kind of cruel though, he would have found out soon enough. Now that she is, I'm not sure what he knows.

I hated that Nash said it's heartbreaking in future episodes but wouldn't say why. Can't he just let it be?

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

If Eddie had bothered answering this phone, would Jon have said, "I know you're sleeping with my wife, but I'm totally cool with it"?

This is a real problem with the writing.  There is no conceivable scenario for that phone call had Jon not committed suicide.  Yeah, he said he hoped that Eddie would answer, but there is no way he would actually have said this because he couldn't have said, "I know you're sleeping with my wife, but love her because I'm about to become roadkill.  Peace out." 

The writing on this show is really, really lacking.  I mean, the dialogue is usually pretty good, but nothing really seems thought out at all.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

This is a real problem with the writing.  There is no conceivable scenario for that phone call had Jon not committed suicide.  Yeah, he said he hoped that Eddie would answer, but there is no way he would actually have said this because he couldn't have said, "I know you're sleeping with my wife, but love her because I'm about to become roadkill.  Peace out." 

The writing on this show is really, really lacking.  I mean, the dialogue is usually pretty good, but nothing really seems thought out at all.

TV writing, he might have in a way. He picked him for a reason. Maybe what he said in message wasn't exactly what he would have said "live" but he did see him with her in restaurant when he went late, he did see his necklace in car or bed and put it in his nightstand.  I think the puzzle was finished and maybe made it easier for him to die but then again, being a Mom I'm still stuck on the kids. If he was going to live, no jail or other catastrophe, how they could still be friends, IDK. He did tell his wife in letter, he loved her, etc. Part of that was online.

letter.jpeg

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
On 1/25/2019 at 12:31 PM, seacliffsal said:

I was so frustrated watching Maggie and her dad as she has not once referenced him during her ongoing cancer treatments.  She acts as if the only people she has in the world are in this friendship group.

Hated that Eddie was happily playing basketball with Jon when he knew Deliah was going to tell Jon that she was leaving him that very evening.  Just think up a reason not to show up.

Glad Gary came to his senses about Colin!

And, I still didn't get any answers to my questions although they promised to answer questions!  I probably won't make it through the whole season as I really don't care about most of these characters and they are dragging out the mysteries far too long.  I quit watching "This is Us" as I just don't have the patience for the drawn out "mysteries" and am about to take this show off of my dvr for the very same reason.

Totally agree.  Is this some new kind of hook that they think will keep people interested?  It's not working with me.  I wonder if it's the networks or the writers that think this is cute 🤨??

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, AnnaCody said:

Totally agree.  Is this some new kind of hook that they think will keep people interested?  It's not working with me.  I wonder if it's the networks or the writers that think this is cute 🤨??

I watched AMLT “live” this week.  I don’t watch anything live unless it’s sports or I have a day off work, then I watch TPIR. 

That being said, I watched live this week because I was really excited after last week’s cliffhanger.  I was promised all week that my questions would be answered. 

Nope!  And now I’m pissed.  I watched commercials for this?  Never again!

I’ll see this show through, but it’s going back to my weekend when I get to it queue. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

I watched AMLT “live” this week.  I don’t watch anything live unless it’s sports or I have a day off work, then I watch TPIR. 

That being said, I watched live this week because I was really excited after last week’s cliffhanger.  I was promised all week that my questions would be answered. 

Nope!  And now I’m pissed.  I watched commercials for this?  Never again!

I’ll see this show through, but it’s going back to my weekend when I get to it queue. 

Ack, I feel your pain watching commercials.  I record everything except the Patriots.  I endure those commercials as best I can.  That said, I do look forward to the Super Bowl ones.  Go Pats 🏈🤩

• Love 2
20 hours ago, debraran said:

I think the buying of the building is much more than sentiment. He bought more than the apartment. I wonder if it was to keep someone there. I also thought that maybe Jon had another family and they were killed. Why he wouldn't mention that, who knows, but buying the wine (which still looked full to me) was when it happened.

I was going to say this. He bought that apartment for a sentimental/guilt reason. Is Barbara Morgan his child? Or a woman he had a child with and abandoned when the child died? Is the woman Ashley tried to talk to related to Barbara.

I guess it wouldn’t be much of a story line if Ashley has laid out everything on day one. But dang she is sketchy!

• Love 2

I just watched this and haven’t read any other comments yet. Here are my thoughts.

🔹I guess the pancakes burned during that sad little cheesy walk down memory lane between Maggie and her dad. (Sorry I don’t like having my feelings manipulated.)

🔹Too bad they killed Jon off, I really like him.

🔹Ashley sure didn’t know how to read Jon. 

🔹Still can’t stand Gary even if he did take in a homeless dog.

🔹Regina’s old boss was a bigger ass than the guy who grabbed her, although he would have gotten my fist in his face. 

🔹Are we supposed to think better of Delilah and Eddie because they were going to tell their respective spouses they were having an affair? If so, epic failure.

🔹Jon knew; I always thought he did after hearing his message to Eddie the rat fink loser bastard.

🔹It’s impossible to know who I hate more Eddie or Delilah.

🔹I am so Team Katherine even if she was MIA this episode.

🔹The kid who plays Theo is adorable.

🔹I’m okay with Maggie, but not as much as the show would like me to be. The only reason I give her any slack is because I like the actress.

🔹To Regina’s boss: Too little too late.

🔹I think Rome has classic manic depression.

🔹Jon’s death was harder to watch the second time around.

🔹Lesson learned, be less right and more kind; you never know when you’ll lose someone you love.

Edited by taurusrose
  • Love 6
17 minutes ago, taurusrose said:

I just watched this and haven’t read any other comments yet. Here’s my thoughts.

🔹I guess the pancakes burned during that sad little cheesy walk down memory lane between Maggie and her dad. (Sorry I don’t like having my feelings manipulated.)

🔹Too bad they killed Jon off, I really like him.

🔹Ashley sure didn’t know how to read Jon. 

🔹Still can’t stand Gary even if he did take in a homeless dog.

🔹Regina’s old boss was a bigger ass than the guy who grabbed her, although he would have gotten my fist in his face. 

🔹Are we supposed to think better of Delilah and Eddie because they were going to tell their respective spouses they were having an affair? If so, epic failure.

🔹Jon knew; I always thought he did after hearing his message to Eddie the rat fink loser bastard.

🔹It’s impossible to know who I hate more Eddie or Delilah.

🔹I am so Team Katherine even if she was MIA this episode.

🔹The kid who plays Theo is adorable.

🔹I’m okay with Maggie, but not as much as the show would like me to be. The only reason I give her any slack is because I like the actress.

🔹To Regina’s boss: Too little too late.

🔹I think Rome has classic manic depression.

🔹Jon’s death was harder to watch the second time around.

🔹Lesson learned, be less right and more kind; you never know when you’ll lose someone you love.

Totally agree with most, I felt the same way, especially with Jon because we know his character a bit better. I really think he's so much sexier than Eddie and mature in some ways. Without the mental illness or depression he was carrying, I think he would have been a good person. No one is haunted unless they have feelings, a conscience and a heart.

I also think Rome has more to deal with than he knows and I hope they delve into that in a good way. He can help a lot of others watching understand it better.

9 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I still like this show, despite some weird stuff happening and some bad editing (I am guessing it is the editing). One thing I noticed is how many here seem to like the actor who plays Jon a lot, and when I see people saying that the show is better when Jon has more to say, I tend to think that it is a little biased. This is not intended to criticize or call out, just an observation. I don't know that actor, no idea of who he is, and the episodes seem pretty much the same level to me. Just a funny, to me, thing to observe.

It is interesting because I prefer Jon heavy episodes even though I do not think the actor is significantly better than the others. As a whole, I do think this is one of the strongest casts on tv right now. I think my positive reaction to Jon is because when the show focuses on him it is usually something different. It is beginning to feel like the other characters are treading water. There as been no change to Eddie and Delilah’s relationship in weeks or in Eddie and Katherine’s. Each week Gary worries about Maggie’s health, Maggie tries to maintain normalcy in spite of her health, Rome and Regina worry about his mental health and Ashley acts suspicious. I am starting to get bored and prefer the scenes that change up the usually pairings. 

Edited by Guest
13 hours ago, alexvillage said:

Having affairs, even when you are certain it is love, is not that uncommon when relationships are going through a bad phase for whatever reason.

To quote When Harry Met Sally:

Jess: Marriages don't break up on account of infidelity.  It's just a symptom that something else is wrong.
Harry: Oh, really?  Well, that symptom is fucking my wife.

• Love 10

I got the impression the phone call Maggie was on when her dad showed up was her setting up chemo and the decision not to go through with it came during his visit.   Did I make that up out of thin air?  Sadly, I deleted the show immediately after watching it.

• Love 3
On 1/25/2019 at 9:33 PM, fountain said:

Gary’s perception of Katherine as awful seemed to be the type of awful that comes from your spouse complaining about you to his friends. Because he seems to like her okay when they’re together. He seemed to think she controls Eddie and treats him like a child (the times he criticized her) but the more we see, it seems she was the only adult in the relationship so she had no choice.

8 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I got the impression the phone call Maggie was on when her dad showed up was her setting up chemo and the decision not to go through with it came during his visit.   Did I make that up out of thin air?  Sadly, I deleted the show immediately after watching it.

No, that's what I thought, too. (I don't know what her dad said that might have made her change her mind about treatment, though.)

• Love 1
18 hours ago, debraran said:

I also think Rome has more to deal with than he knows and I hope they delve into that in a good way. He can help a lot of others watching understand it better.

Rome really has the most interest because his depression and what lead to those issues were bits and pieces of things that ate away at him. It would be interesting if he was manic depressant because sometimes that can be hidden for years before signs show up. Then small little things show up and starts tearing you apart. I had a classmate who was misdiagnosed until college, then it hit him like a ton of bricks. 

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

No, that's what I thought, too. (I don't know what her dad said that might have made her change her mind about treatment, though.)

From the convo with her father I gathered Maggie had a brother that died and she is somewhat estranged from her mom. 

1 hour ago, iwasish said:

From the convo with her father I gathered Maggie had a brother that died and she is somewhat estranged from her mom. 

We learned in a previous episode that her brother was an alcoholic and died in a drunk driving accident, and she blamed herself.

• Love 1

I am more interested in the Jon episodes because they are past stuff. I want to know more about what he was hiding and manipulating. I don’t care that much about the present stuff as it is moving too slow.

I am guessing in the end it is going to be nothing special, Jon is going to be dead because it was his way out instead of prison. I guess I see him in a bit of a Bernie Madoff way, my guess is he was probably playing some kind of long con that went astray. I don’t see many of the things he did for other people as selfless, it seems like he did things to atone and absolve himself they just happen to be nice things. To me it matters most the why people do things not what they actually do, I have met so many “nice” assholes. Conmen are usually charming and I am still leaning towards some kind of con has been going on.

Edited by fountain
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

We learned in a previous episode that her brother was an alcoholic and died in a drunk driving accident, and she blamed herself.

Thanks, I’m a new viewer and am catching up slowly. 

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, fountain said:

I am more interested in the Jon episodes because they are past stuff. I want to know more about what he was hiding and manipulating. I don’t care that much about the present stuff as it is moving too slow.

I am guessing in the end it is going to be nothing special, Jon is going to be dead because it was his way out instead of prison. I guess I see him in a bit of a Bernie Madoff way, my guess is he was probably playing some kind of long con that went astray. I don’t see many of the things he did for other people as selfless, it seems like he did things to atone and absolve himself they just happen to be nice things. To me it matters most the why people do things not what they actually do, I have met so many “nice” assholes.

I find it kind of odd too, that a young, good looking, seemingly very successful business man leaps to his death leaving behind a young family, and there’s no press coverage, no tabloid digging into the “mystery” of why he did this? It’s not like they live in some podunk little town. 

Do Eddie and Delilah really think they can just announce that they’re “in love “ and go public with the relationship with everyone’s support and blessing? Jon’s kids are just going to accept “Uncle” Eddie as their new daddy? Eddie’s just going to go on pretending the baby is Jon’s? No one is going to get suspicious? Sorry but there’s no way in real life this could end happily. 

Edited by iwasish
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Do Eddie and Delilah really think they can just announce that they’re “in love “ and go public with the relationship with everyone’s support and blessing? Jon’s kids are just going to accept “Uncle” Eddie as their new daddy? Eddie’s just going to go on pretending the baby is Jon’s? No one is going to get suspicious? Sorry but there’s no way in real life this could end happily. 

It was so telling that Delilah, on the phone, asked Eddie what he would tell Theo.  Um, what are you going to tell your own kids, Delilah?  Remember them?

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, izabella said:

It was so telling that Delilah, on the phone, asked Eddie what he would tell Theo.  Um, what are you going to tell your own kids, Delilah?  Remember them?

The lie about the baby being Jon’s is going to bite them in their asses eventually. I can tell you that from experience. And when the truth comes out, it’s devastating. I know, it happened in my family. Different reasons for the lie, but the end result was heartbreaking. 

If Jon hadn’t killed himself, did Delilah just assume she’d get a big settlement from him and she and Eddie would be set? Eddie certainly doesn’t earn enough to support her and three kids. Alimony would be cut off if she remarried.  Clearly they didn’t put a lot of thought into the future. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, iwasish said:

If Jon hadn’t killed himself, did Delilah just assume she’d get a big settlement from him and she and Eddie would be set? Eddie certainly doesn’t earn enough to support her and three kids. Alimony would be cut off if she remarried.  Clearly they didn’t put a lot of thought into the future. 

Also keep in mind that Eddie would most likely be on the hook for child support for Theo.  Katherine pretty much admitted that she was furious with Delilah but felt that she had "suffered enough" with Jon's suicide.  If Jon hadn't committed suicide and Eddie and Delilah went through with their plan, I wouldn't blame Katherine at all if she used al her lawyer tools to get primary, if not complete, custody of Theo and get Eddie on the hook for support.  And she'd probably succeed.

• Love 2

Okay, I spent my Sunday catching up on the last two episodes--it felt like my unpleasant weekend chore.  Anyway, thoughts on this:

1 - I think that Jon had been planning for his death, but I don't think he had been planning to commit suicide.  I didn't catch what was in the pharmacy bag, but Jon seemed like a guy who was running out of time, not a guy that had especially gotten himself into a situation he couldn't escape.   I suspect he was sick, knowing he was going to die, and under pressure to do something to provide for his family.  In the end, it was Eddie and Delilah that pushed him over the edge (um, pun not intended).

2 - Eddie and Delilah are the absolute worst.  No, Delilah is the absolute worst.  Eddie is just a close second.

3 - I'm glad they clarified why Gary was the one called when Jon committed suicide--or that he actually called.  That had been bugging me since the first episode.

4 - Does Delilah just not have kids in this episode?  Probably the one reason why Eddie doesn't share the "absolute worst" title with her is that he is sort of concerned about his own kid.

5 - If that was the apartment where Jon lived when he was in his 20s, he had to have come from money.  Even if he was renting that place at the time, it would have been hella expensive.

At this point, I wouldn't say that I'm hate-watching this show.  I guess I've gotten past my Grace Park issues because I'm all here for Katherine.  I also really want the schadenfreude release of watching bad things happen to Delilah and Eddie, although I doubt that will happen.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I didn't catch what was in the pharmacy bag

It was batteries for the smoke detector. (When Delilah found it, there was an open package with one battery, and she looks up at the detector which was back on the wall.)

3 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I'm glad they clarified why Gary was the one called when Jon committed suicide--or that he actually called.  That had been bugging me since the first episode.

What did they clarify? I guess I missed it.

3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

It was batteries for the smoke detector. (When Delilah found it, there was an open package with one battery, and she looks up at the detector which was back on the wall.)

Well, there goes my theory about him being sick.  Although it still makes sense.  The bag was sealed and seeming "more full" when we first saw it and had been opened when Delilah found it.  I mean, why would you go to a pharmacy to buy batteries unless you were there for something else.

3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

What did they clarify? I guess I missed it.

In the first episode, Gary is the first one who finds out about Jon and he tells Delilah.  It appeared, or at least I assumed, that he had been called with the news...which didn't make sense as the next of kin, which would be Delilah, would be the one called.  But here he had called to tell Jon about his dog, Ashley answered the phone and told him.  It still doesn't explain why the police didn't call Delilah, as they should have, but I guess there is a limit to how much common sense can be used in an episode of this show.

• Love 3

It’s just bad writing. They already established that Maggie was going to start chemo just after meeting Gary and that she decided not to after meeting his friends. When Maggie’s father leaves she should still be planning on starting chemo. 

Edited by Guest
2 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

In the first episode, Gary is the first one who finds out about Jon and he tells Delilah.  It appeared, or at least I assumed, that he had been called with the news...which didn't make sense as the next of kin, which would be Delilah, would be the one called.  But here he had called to tell Jon about his dog, Ashley answered the phone and told him.  It still doesn't explain why the police didn't call Delilah, as they should have, but I guess there is a limit to how much common sense can be used in an episode of this show.

Okay, I didn't miss it, I just forgot. I guess maybe he called while the police were still at the office and hadn't contacted Delilah yet? Can't disagree with your last bit, though. ;)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

The last part doesn’t bother me because the police will try to notify next of kin in person if it is possible. When my father died suddenly it took two hours for the police to show up at my door. Gary could have just beat the police to Delilah.