Type keyword(s) to search

Felicity Smoak: Bitch With Wifi

• Start Topic

I was really confused with the creators' plan regarding this character this past season. I still feel like I know the character thanks to EBR but the story lines in the back half of the second season were not exactly character building across the board. Reading the comments about the whole "you'll always be my girl" and Sara saying she is cute when she watched them spar did not piss me off that much. I didn't mind the scar conversation... Like someone said previously, it's like being in a group where everyone else has this thing in common and you're like "oh yeah, me too... but not really" so I did not see it as belittlement. It was a realistic take on group dynamic shift. If it was just Oliver and Sara I don't think she would have said anything but Diggle was also "in" so she felt on the out and babbled. I cringed but I always do when she has awkward foot-in-mouth moments.

Right now all the good stuff that brings depth to felicity comes more from the actress not the writing and hopefully with more exposure on her life before and outside the Arrow business. I always find it interesting (but also indicative of how surface the development of Felicity has been) that there is pretty much a lot of projection/guess work when looking at her key scenes. Some people have a totally different perspective on some scenes and I didn't see some things that were obvious to others. I heard some rumours about a potential love interest, and it makes me feel ambivalent. It will either be great (because Ollicity to me, should it happen, is better in like season 4/5 ish) to see more of Felicity. I want to see her with her shields down (on TV, always upbeat people usually have the bigger emotional walls, they are ok carrying others' emotional burdens but never trust others to shoulder theirs). Hopefully the guy will be as smart as she is. I want to see her geeking out.

Because I love Felicity...

tumblr_n30vilRN7L1qbrvbdo1_500.jpg
  • Love 3
I want to see her with her shields down (on TV, always upbeat people usually have the bigger emotional walls, they are ok carrying others' emotional burdens but never trust others to shoulder theirs). Hopefully the guy will be as smart as she is. I want to see her geeking out.

Because I love Felicity...

I'm with you on seeing her walls down. I'm sure s3 will be interesting for Felicity Smoak (or rather I hope). I still feel like we know so little about her but it's so easy to like her. I've said it before, but I do wonder what made her so strong. It must have been something that brought her to that moment and I'll be glad to see if/when they unpack her past. We already know she defeated the odds by moving away from her cocktail waitress mum and becoming relatively successful at QC. Now I'd like to see more *rubbing hands together in excitement*

I think the reason I personally disliked the Clock King episode was because it was so jarring. I've come to see Felicity as a strong, confident woman so that when she was seemingly treated like a child (or cute little sister) I was annoyed. I've never felt like Oliver or Diggle or even Sara (even though she called her cute) treated her like a child or indulged her. I didn't feel like Sara was condescending until the "you were really brave" comment. That set my teeth on edge because, like Oliver, she should've pat Felicity on the head instead. And no, I don't accept the Felicity was drugged argument.

I generally think physical skills are more believable to gain than skills that require serious intelligence, so when Sara became super Sara it also annoyed me. I had the same problem with Oliver being so computer proficient (but that was dealt with). It was too much too soon with that whole business in the Arrow Cave to the point where the only part I liked was when Felicity told Oliver to vamos out of there because he wasn't necessary. And then the business with the Lances where Oliver was a hypocritical prat...yeah the entire episode should've been left on the cutting room floor.

• Love 3

I didn't feel like Sara was condescending until the "you were really brave" comment. That set my teeth on edge because, like Oliver, she should've pat Felicity on the head instead. And no, I don't accept the Felicity was drugged argument.

Aww, shucks, I WAS going to raise the drugged argument.  Ok, I can work around that. 

I can't disagree.  Sara's "you were really brave" sounded hugely condescending BUT the question becomes what was Sara's intent? 

I do think Sara wanted to genuinely express appreciation for what Felicity did but I don't think Sara was able to properly express it.  I see Sara as someone who no longer quite knows what is normal.  Her life since the Gambit went down has been packed with horrid and scary things and also plenty of horrid and pee in your pants scary people.  How do you judge regular people when exposed to that life scale? 

Since I don't think Sara meant to be condescending (or at least didn't mean to be dismissive or haughty about it) I tend to think she did two things, one was underestimating what Felicity was actually normally capable of.  Sara liked Felicity but I think she didn't at first fully understand her mental toughness and so treated her rather gently, too gently. 

A more appropriate response to what Felicity did - pushing her out of the way of the gun shot - would have been a simple thank you and maybe a comment about it being nice having someone watching her back.  She reacted like Felicity's bravery was some new quality that Felicity was expressing rather than something we've seen on the show since early on.  Brave is not the absence of fear but pressing on despite it, so by that definition, we've known all along that Felicity is very brave. 

The second thing I think Sara did was pick the wrong quality to focus on or the wrong word.  I almost feel like she was commenting on Felicity's selflessness rather than specifically bravery - that she would without hesitation throw herself in front of a bullet to save the life of an assassin - I think Sara would be moved and confused by this. 

Earlier Felicity had gone out of her way to make Sara feel normal (we all join clubs we wish we hadn't) But those were words.  Now even though there had been some tension in the Arrow Cave (which Sara picked up on) and Oliver, Sara and Diggle had all just zoomed up to the Bank to save Felicity, it was Felicity that didn't hesitate to save Sara.  I think that meant something to Sara even if  there is the whole issue of whether Sara really needed to be saved. 

If Felicity hadn't tackled her (and possibly Sara letting Felicity tackle her rather than flip her away and possibly hurt her) would Sara have been able to do some fancy trick to escape the path of the bullet or hit Tockman with something sending the bullet in another direction?  Maybe the answer is no but that the wound wouldn't have been that big of a deal. I don't think that Felicity saved Sara's life but then she never claims she did, just that she took a bullet for someone else. 

Anyway, those last babbling paragraphs are my way of saying for Sara, knowing exactly what she wanted to express and how to express it was likely complicated (for the writers as well)  I think her actions were in this case more important than her words.  She carefully tended to Felicity's wound.  She did it herself when we know both Diggle and Oliver not only would have been capable but were probably anxious to do so.  I picture Sara being the one to tell them to turn around.  Felicity's wound wasn't in a very revealing place but Sara was being extra careful with Felicity's modesty.  I tend to think of it as Sara's way of showing extra respect. 

So long story short, I can forgive Sara for sounding condescending even without the extra excuse of dealing with a drugged up Felicity.  ;)

• Love 8
(edited)

I can't disagree.  Sara's "you were really brave" sounded hugely condescending BUT the question becomes what was Sara's intent? 

[...]

The second thing I think Sara did was pick the wrong quality to focus on or the wrong word.  I almost feel like she was commenting on Felicity's selflessness rather than specifically bravery - that she would without hesitation throw herself in front of a bullet to save the life of an assassin - I think Sara would be moved and confused by this. 

[...]

Anyway, those last babbling paragraphs are my way of saying for Sara, knowing exactly what she wanted to express and how to express it was likely complicated (for the writers as well)  I think her actions were in this case more important than her words.  She carefully tended to Felicity's wound.  She did it herself when we know both Diggle and Oliver not only would have been capable but were probably anxious to do so.  I picture Sara being the one to tell them to turn around.  Felicity's wound wasn't in a very revealing place but Sara was being extra careful with Felicity's modesty.  I tend to think of it as Sara's way of showing extra respect.

I heart this whole comment, but these parts especially. It's actually helped me reconcile my usual feelings about Sara with my irritation with her in that episode. I'm gonna blame the writers here (which, of course, these are all their creations after all), because I just think they screwed up by not capturing the best/most organic reactions from the characters in that episode. They just didn't hit the right tone, for me. One correction--Sara does actually make the claim that Felicity saved her life. She says "I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. Thank you." (In a very schoolmarm tone that makes me crazy.) (Sorry, I said I was going to let the irritation go, didn't I?) Unless you meant that Felicity never makes that claim, in which case, that's true!

Anyway, I found Sara's reactions to Felicity condescending for almost the entire episode, and that irks me because I never saw her put herself above anyone else at any other time (unlike, say, her sister). But I agree that Sara is not used to dealing with "regular" people anymore, and probably not used to experiencing kindness or trust from most people. So I will go with your idea that that's why she sort of head-patted Felicity, when really she was trying to reach out to her in the same way Felicity did to her. And I love your thoughts about how she took care of Felicity's wound. I just wish she had done what you suggest, and said something about how it made her feel to have people caring about her again, instead of talking about Felicity being brave when that was so obvious that saying it becomes condescending. 

At the same time, I do think Felicity needs to start understanding/believing that she is brave. She has so many normal fears--heights, needles, landmines, whathaveyou--that I think she is/was convinced she's not very brave. But she obviously is. I just think the basis for her bravery is selflessness, as you say, instead of confidence in her strength or an innate lack of fear.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 2

One correction--Sara does actually make the claim that Felicity saved her life. She says "I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. Thank you." (In a very schoolmarm tone that makes me crazy.) (Sorry, I said I was going to let the irritation go, didn't I?) Unless you meant that Felicity never makes that claim, in which case, that's true!

I was referring to Felicity's claims but I also had forgotten that Sara said she wouldn't be there if not for Felicity.

At the same time, I do think Felicity needs to start understanding/believing that she is brave. She has so many normal fears--heights, needles, landmines, whathaveyou--that I think she is/was convinced she's not very brave. But she obviously is. I just think the basis for her bravery is selflessness, as you say, instead of confidence in her strength or an innate lack of fear.

So true and you stated that wonderfully. That ties into Sara's comment about being brave. I imagine Sara spent a lot of her time not feeling brave. Same thing with Oliver. I wonder if recognizing the strength of their own bravery could have made life a little easier during her time in hell. It adds that little but infinity, crucial "I can do this" voice to life. I'd like to think Sara wanted to give to Felicity what she herself didn't have the time to realize and the power that comes with it.

Sara moved from scared all the time to numb. By the time they had built up their skills, the skills were just an extension of who they were rather than a reason to have faith or to be brave.

• Love 1

Speaking of Felicity's self-evident bravery, I have a bone to pick with the writers regarding Slade's line in the finale about Felicity:

I was surprised.  I thought you had a thing for stronger women, but now that I've met her, I can see the appeal.  She is quite lovely, your Felicity.

The implication being that Felicity is not strong, but has other charms that make up for this.  If this comment had been made about a man, then one could assume that it might have been intended to relate solely to physical strength, because one's first assumption when discussing a 'strong man' is probably that he's able to pick up heavy stuff.  However, the same is not true when one refers to a 'strong woman' - to me the term is not generally used to refer to a woman's physical prowess, but is rather a comment on her personality.  A strong woman is one who stands up for what she believes in, has a powerful influence on the people around her, forges her own destiny, and so on.  When people say they want more strong women on TV, they're not specifically asking for women weight-lifters/fighters (though women who are capable of beating up men are always great fun to watch - I do miss Nikita), but rather women who are strong characters in their own right, no matter how petite and frail they may be physically.

As others of you have said, I too think that Felicity is a very strong character (& woman), and that's part of her appeal.  She stands up to Oliver (and influences his decisions as a result); she does what she believes is right; she makes sacrifices (including potentially her life) for other people and the greater good.  And she does these things even when she's afraid, even when she's clearly out-classed physically, even when the only thing she has to fall back on is her own inner strength and conviction.  She's also consistent (i.e. not wishy-washy) enough that you know where you stand with her, but still has the capacity to learn and grow from her mistakes.  These are all characteristics of a strong woman, though I think her rather overwhelming 'cuteness factor' obscures the force of her personality to an extent (as in people are so distracted by how cute, young and pretty she is that they completely underestimate her, which allows her to blind-side them, like she did Slade).

But even if the comment was meant to mean physically strong, it still makes no sense.  The Sara that Slade knew on the island, Laurel in all her incarnations to date and Isabel (pre-Mirakuru, when Oliver slept with her) aren't shown to be any better able to win fist-fights or lift weights than Felicity, so Oliver's supposed track record of preferring strong women would be considered mixed at best.  So, whichever way I look at it, this was a dumb thing to say.  Granted, the man is nuts, so his judgement in such matters is not to be taken particularly seriously (and it was part of their play to trick him, so it was lucky it worked), but it still irritated me. /rant over

In the infamous Clock King episode, I think Sara's words and actions were all strongly influenced by the fact that 1) she likes Felicity a lot; 2) she knows Felicity likes Oliver; and 3) she knew that Felicity was upset and didn't want to be the cause, but sensed that she was.  At one point she was trying to get Felicity to talk about what was upsetting her, but Oliver interrupted and she never got the chance.  She did seem genuinely concerned at several points in the episode, though.  I was more annoyed by Oliver's obliviousness than by Sara, because I think Sara wanted to fix whatever pain she may have inadvertently caused and didn't know how, which made her super awkward in her dealings with Felicity (who, to be fair, does have a bit of a kicked puppy thing going on when she's being insecure, added to which, her cuteness goes into overdrive when she's high).  Oliver, though, was mostly just being a douche - perhaps to fend off any chance that Felicity might ever want to express an opinion about his latest thoughtless liaison (what happens in the Lair stays in the Lair...)?

• Love 4
(edited)

I thought that was supposed to be part of the pay off? It might not have fit the character but remember it was all part of the (audience) fakeout. The audience is supposed to view the ILY as real and feel real worry that Slade has now taken Felicity after Oliver tried to hide/protect her.

I don't take Slade's comments to mean that the writers think Felicity is weak or that the audience should view Felicity as weak. I really don't even think, the writers expected the audience to analyze that line. I think it was all done for the "gotcha!"

Edited by Morrigan2575

I actually think Slade said what he said to push Oliver over the edge. He knew or thought he did that Felicity was the one he loved and he wanted to weaken Oliver's emotional state so that he would lose the battle.

(edited)

I just figured it was a way for the writers to show the audience just how much Slade underestimates Felicity, thus strengthening the whole fakeout reasoning (as @Morrigan2575 pointed out). 

And what was the lesson he learned? Nobody underestimates Felicity and lives to not regret it. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 2
(edited)

I always took it that Slade was thinking about Shado and possibly Sara when he said "I thought you had a thing for stronger women", women who were fighters and strong in spite of their size. Felicity is not a fighter but Slade sees that she has spunk and something else which was why he said, "but now that I've met her  I can see the appeal. She is quite lovely, your Felicity"

I actually think Slade said what he said to push Oliver over the edge. He knew or thought he did that Felicity was the one he loved and he wanted to weaken Oliver's emotional state so that he would lose the battle.

IMO, Oliver was banking on Slade capturing Felicity as part of his plan because he gave her the syringe with the Miracure (tm me). Slade, of course, didn't know that when he captured Felicity. But Slade also captured Laurel to make sure he had "the one he loved". I did laugh though when Slade called Felicity "your Felicity" as though even Slade new that Laurel wasn't the one. Hee

Edited by catrox14

I agree with you. I just think Slade was playing mind games with Oliver. Slade always thought he was the better soldier and did not realize that Oliver and Felicity were smart enough to out strategize him. Oliver was just "the kid" and a dumb one at that. Felicity was an unknown. Slade fell into the trap of she's just a dumb blond it worked. But of course the dumbest thing that happened was they never checked her for weapons. Oh well.

I don't think that he necessarily thought Felicity was a dumb blonde; I just think Slade was so certain of his own invulnerability, that it never occurred to him that a frightened young woman (or anyone else, really) could present any danger to him.  Which is why he wouldn't have considered it necessary to check her for weapons.  Pity he forgot about that Achilles' neck of his... Hubris will get you every time - with a bit of help from Felicity!

On that point, another nit-picky quibble.  When Felicity says to Oliver on the beach "You did it", the correct response should, IMO, have been "We did it", not "I had help".  Pffft.

• Love 5

I'm still bummed we didn't get any Felicity/Slade scenes. I comfort myself with the knowledge that when (and it's when, not if) he escapes from his island prison, he'll probably pay Felicity a visit. Plus, based on his Con appearance, Manu seems to like EBR even though they barely worked together, so I would like to see that. 

• Love 4

so Oliver's supposed track record of preferring strong women would be considered mixed at best.  So, whichever way I look at it, this was a dumb thing to say.  Granted, the man is nuts, so his judgement in such matters is not to be taken particularly seriously (and it was part of their play to trick him, so it was lucky it worked), but it still irritated me. /rant over

Oliver's track record was preferring whichever woman was at hand and willing.....

It irritated me extremely too, but the guy was cuckoo crazy by then.  To be fair though, he always valued the ability to fight more than the ability to think even before the mirakuru.

I figure Slade took the evaluation of his inside agent, Isabel, and thought Felicity was a bit of fluff on the side even though by then he knew she was working in the Arrow cave.  He knew and loved Shado and she was a very strong woman, he knew Oliver cared about Sara and she was a strong woman, and he probably assumed that Laurel was strong as well.  Felicity was the blonde who Oliver had jumped up from her IT cubicle to make her appointments, the girl who stayed in the Arrow cave when Oliver, Sara, Diggle and Roy went out fighting.

At one point she was trying to get Felicity to talk about what was upsetting her, but Oliver interrupted and she never got the chance.  She did seem genuinely concerned at several points in the episode, though.

After she showed Felicity how to put her feet and said 'Wing Chun is better for small people like us', Felicity remarked that Sara didn't seem to have any problem taking care of herself and CL got a hurt expression on her face.  I was mad at Felicity for that because even though she had a right to be upset because she felt she was being pushed aside, Sara was just trying to help.  And then Stupid Oliver came in and said 'What are you wearing?" and why aren't you at the computer and made it a hundred times worse.

• Love 3

Looking at Felicity's very first appearance in S1E3 it's hard to believe it was just going to just a one-off appearance. It's definitely easier to believe the people behind the scenes were watching the rushes while making the fourth episode and thought "We have to bring her back!". The character was already really well written but Emily brought so much life to it and her chemistry with Stephen was instantly so good.

• Love 1

After she showed Felicity how to put her feet and said 'Wing Chun is better for small people like us', Felicity remarked that Sara didn't seem to have any problem taking care of herself and CL got a hurt expression on her face.

I didn't interpret that scene as Sara feeling hurt by Felicity's remark, I saw it as concern for Felicity because she could see she was upset and out of sorts.  But it did make a nice tie-in to the end of the episode when Felicity ended up saving Sara, thereby disproving Felicity's assertion that Sara can always take care of herself.  Lesson learned: it's better to be part of a team because no-one is invulnerable and every team-member adds value.  Lesson used to good effect: against Slade in the finale.

• Love 5

Looking at Felicity's very first appearance in S1E3 it's hard to believe it was just going to just a one-off appearance. It's definitely easier to believe the people behind the scenes were watching the rushes while making the fourth episode and thought "We have to bring her back!".

That's pretty much how it happened.  From an interview with Marc G:

Felicity was a big surprise. She started off as a one-off character in episode three of the first season. As we were writing episode four, we were seeing such great dailies from Emily Bett Rickards, we thought, “Let’s put her in episodes four and five.” We had so much fun writing for her. Then the network kept saying, “We’re going to see her again, right?’ We were like, “Way ahead of you!” Eventually, you get to the point where she has to learn Oliver’s secret or she’s the biggest idiot in the world. So we brought her into the fold. I wish I could say this was our master plan from the start, but it really wasn’t.

Not sure if we can discuss this here but if you want to bring it over to the comics thread we can talk it out there.

This is a grey area because it's about Felicity being added to the comics so it could impact Felicity's S3 storyline...not sure where it belongs but comics seems safest

• Love 1

Emily's trainer has been tweeting about her working with weights throughout the hiatus. Looks like "Bitch with wifi" will be getting her hands dirty this coming season. Can't wait.

• Love 3
(edited)

Slade just didn't know Felicity.  On the island, he knew Shado was a strong fighter.   In Starling City, he knew Sara was now a strong fighter (LOA) and Laurel was a lawyer prosecuting criminals.  So he believed them all to be strong women, either in terms of physical fighting skills or aggressive/assertive personalities and willingness to take stands.  He thought Felicity was a computer geek who helped Oliver.  

Slade didn't know Felicity's strength of character or her courage or her willingness to die for her beliefs or others.  He didn't bother to get to know her because he didn't know her true importance to Oliver.  He completely underestimated her.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Actually, on reflection, Felicity was undoubtedly doing everything in her power to make Slade believe that she was as weak and helpless as possible, because all he would have needed to do to thwart their plan is tie her hands behind her back.  She needed to avoid any kind of push-back or fight so that she would be underestimated and therefore left with maximum manoeuvrability to carry out the plan - which was a really desperate one, with a high chance that she was going to die either way, so she probably didn't have to try too hard to look extremely scared and helpless.

Man, that was a seriously brave thing she did.

• Love 11

You're so completely right. It baffles me that some people don't think so. I mean, here's a girl who doesn't owe the city a single thing, yet she's willing to sacrifice herself for the safety of the people. That too, Felicity probably only lived in Starling for a maximum of 5 years, so you would think she would have an even less sense of loyalty to the city... That's not just brave, it's heroic. And it's not even that one act against Slade, it's what she does every single day working with Oliver and Digg. Felicity (a girl with no experience in combat) constantly puts herself in trouble for people she doesn't even know and yet doesn't even feel the need to be recognized, she's happy just being in the background. She's so selfless that it's one of the reasons why I'm always so drawn to her. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Actually, on reflection, Felicity was undoubtedly doing everything in her power to make Slade believe that she was as weak and helpless as possible, because all he would have needed to do to thwart their plan is tie her hands behind her back.  She needed to avoid any kind of push-back or fight so that she would be underestimated and therefore left with maximum manoeuvrability to carry out the plan - which was a really desperate one, with a high chance that she was going to die either way, so she probably didn't have to try too hard to look extremely scared and helpless.

It really was brave. <3

And YES to all you're saying. I think even more important than getting Slade to believe Oliver loves Felicity more than everyone else, the entire fake-out plan hanged entirely on Slade underestimating Felicity, and thinking she was weak. More than using the cameras at the mansion to trick Slade, the whole point of going there was to make him think that Oliver sees Felicity as someone meek and useless in a fight, that needed to be taken 20 minutes off the city -- while the city was falling to pieces and in desperate need of Arrow on site -- to be protected.

And it's especially awesome, because not long before the mansion set-up Felicity had hit a mirakuru'd Isabel with the van to save Diggle's life. So really, the entire 'can't handle herself in a fight' thing has been circumvented by Felicity herself. She might not be able to do any hand-to-hand combat, but she sure as hell is smart enough to come up with alternatives in the heat of a dangerous situation. 

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 1

From the Laurel Lance thread: 

I feel quite cheated that there wasn't anymore Felicity-Moira interaction. I really enjoyed their little power play scene. Moira really is preposterous but I couldn't get enough of her. If anything, I see a little of Moira in Felicity standing at basically polar opposite sides.

I think Moira and Felicity would have a number of things in common -- intelligence, fierce loyalty to those they loved (in Moira's case her children), independence of thought, courage (although for different reasons).   I would have liked to have seen more scenes between them; Felicity might have grown in self-confidence after tangling with Moira and hopefully Moira would have grown to appreciate Felicity in the end, because she never really had time for her on the show, unlike her appreciation of what Roy did for Thea..  

• Love 2

From the Laurel thread

We only had two scenes with Felicity & Moira ... one where Moira points out that she shampooed her hair with 8 women and a guard looking at her and the one where Felicity encountered her about Thea's paternity and they were both rock solid.

Yes, I too feel cheated because they were two very smart women, one is straight up honest and the other one is kinda diabolical but both fiercely protective of those they love. Would've been an amazing battle of wits - with Oliver in the middle - between Moira and Felicity. Oh the missed possibilities !!!!!!

I thought ep 13 was a taste of what was to come. But no. So sad, so sad. But then I also got excited at the thought of Slade and Felicity interacting but that didn't happen either. Shucks. It's so disheartening because there were things set up but never panned out.

• Love 2
(edited)

Another scene when Felicity brings a plant to Walter's hospital room and Moira is all "Just who are you and what are you doing here?"  And when Moira showed up at QC, she was pretty cold to Felicity. 

I can understand why we didn't get scene of Felicity and Slade (because he had to underestimate her to make the plan work) but I regret that Moira never did get to like Felicity.  She supported Thea's relationship with Roy but she never had time for Felicity.

Edited by statsgirl
She supported Thea's relationship with Roy but she never had time for Felicity.

That's because Roy was Thea's boyfriend, and unlike Oliver back in the day (for who women were just a toy) Moira would have known that trying to drive Thea away from a low class nobody like Roy would just bring them closer. But Felicity, in Moira's eyes, was just an employee.

Given the anvils have been dropping in the last few episodes of S2 that S3 will be about family, and that we already heard that there was going to be some Felicity parent action that got pushed back, I'd be shocked if they didn't show up in S3.

Add me to those who really want to see Felicity's mother rather than her father. Cocktail waitress in Vegas with a super genius for a daughter sounds much more interesting than deadbeat dad anyway.

• Love 2

Felicity's dad shows up? Cool. Felicity's mom shows up or, better yet, Team Arrow goes to Vegas and meets Felicity's mom? Wicked cool. I don't mind whichever of her parental unit shows up so long as they actually do this season. I want a Felicity-centric storyline/character-enriching backstory reveal already, damn it! Not just tidbits, please. I'll be pissed if she gets pushed to the background again to devote more time to someone else's messy storyline attempts at being relevant.

• Love 2

For me the Vegas cocktail waitress appeals more because I can see the team heading to Vegas and working together like the Merlyn job to get a bad guy. When Felicity mentioned her mum as a cocktail waitress I sat up and listened. I was immediately intrigued. All the casino language she uses came back, the counting cards. It sounds very cool.

Well according to Emily Bett Rickards, she was promised 'a parent' by the writers for this season. I just hope that they deliver it. We have had 46 episode with hardly any Felicity backstory while stupid characters like Laurel Lance get multiple chances and stories to get liked by the audience. It is about time the writers deliver what works - Felicity and her storyline.

• Love 1
(edited)

I can see the team heading to Vegas and working together like the Merlyn job to get a bad guy.

Taking thought to Hopes and Fears, Spec without Spoilers

Edited by BkWurm1

I'm *terrified* of Felicity's father having to do with Oliver's past in any way, because then the story is about him, and not Felicity. At the same time, I'm almost positive that's what the writers are planning. Not Robert Queen [because that's when they'd be left with an audience of exactly the 17 people who like Laurel. EVERYONE ELSE would quit], but either Dr. Ivo, or someone new who will first apper in flashbacks in S3 only to show up in the present as Felicity's surprise Daddy.

One surprise Daddy per season is enough, Arrow. You already did Malcolm in, and you're about to make Oliver a surprise Daddy. Please refrain from adding to the gallery.

I've been wondering about the mother since that "my mother is... my mother". Even before the cocktail waitress bit. It sounds to me like Felicity went to MIT on her own, without her mother's incentive, or maybe even without her approval. I can see that played for drama if the mother resents Felicity for wanting --and getting -- a different life for herself.

• Love 1

I'm *terrified* of Felicity's father having to do with Oliver's past in any way, because then the story is about him, and not Felicity. At the same time, I'm almost positive that's what the writers are planning. Not Robert Queen [because that's when they'd be left with an audience of exactly the 17 people who like Laurel. EVERYONE ELSE would quit].

I've been wondering about the mother since that "my mother is... my mother". Even before the cocktail waitress bit. It sounds to me like Felicity went to MIT on her own, without her mother's incentive, or maybe even without her approval. I can see that played for drama if the mother resents Felicity for wanting --and getting -- a different life for herself.

Lolz at the 17 people who like Laurel. I thought there were only ten people and that includes KC's mom and sisters.

My mother is my mother was the line that intrigued me to no end. It opened up so many possibilities. I am intrigued about what a Las Vegas cocktail waitress and bitch with wifi have in common besides a gene pool.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hmm, this is the CW.  Why do I imagine Heather Locklear showing up?

Edited to say:  I wrote this as a joke but actually, she might be a great choice for a hard bitten Vegas cocktail waitress.

Edited by BkWurm1

Not Heather Locklear please (although I can see the CW patting themselves on the back for it).  I last saw her in Hot in Cleveland, and that was painful.

Cynthia Watros (I still think of her as Crazy Annie) could be fun, and she's versatile enough to play a wide range.

Felicity's mother showing up would be all about Felicity, it's character stuff, whereas her dad whether he's a supervillian or not is probably going to be this big plot thing. Considering S3 spoilers I'd rather have the character stuff, guest star Ms Smoak snr (who for some reason I imagine being Lwaxana Troi like) for one episode so we get to know a bit more about Felicity's past and then in s4 or 5 bring in the dad. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Emily's trainer has been tweeting about her working with weights throughout the hiatus. Looks like "Bitch with wifi" will be getting her hands dirty this coming season. Can't wait.

I'm actually not at all happy abou this.  I liked that Felicity had/has very little aptitude for violence despite how she spends her nights.   I know many bemoan the damsel in distress of it all, but I've never considered Felicity less of a character or less of a heroic figure even when she needs to be saved when it comes to violent situations or the more physical activity.   I DON'T think I'd like her morphing into Xena Warrior Princess even if I could believe Oliver and Diggle would take  the time to teach her.  

She can be quite clever and tricky.   Put her behind a computer and I have know doubt she could eventually bring Starling City to it's knees but I really don't want to see her doing back-flips or throwing guys through walls.

Although keep in mind that I'm a Felicity fan that's so far off the beaten path I actually enjoyed the Clock-King Episode, or at least Felicity's parts of it.   I found it believable and understandable that when "Wonder Girl" Sara shows up she feels like she has to prove herself.    She didn't seem jealous so much as frustrated.    I think her relationships with Oliver and Diggle mean a great deal to her, maybe more than it does to either of them and because of that she got a little carried away.

I wouldn't be surprised if pre-Oliver and Diggle, Felicity's life was accomplished but lonely.  

I'm also really curious about her mother.   She didn't seem like her mother was BAD per se.   It just seemed like Felicity considered her a lot to handle.

Edited by Advance35
  • Love 1

Keep in mind that we don't know if EBR is doing the weight training for the role or just because she wants to.  I did see an interview EBR gave where she mentioned that even though we haven't seen it on screen she believes that Felicity has been learning self defense because she doesn't think Diggle or Oliver would let Felicity go unprepared.  

I don't want to see Felicity out there kicking ass like a superhero but she needs to learn some basic self defense, just enough to escape from dangerous situations/people.  Otherwise she's actually a liability and Felicity is the type of person that would want to learn simply because she wouldn't want to let her team down, IMO.

• Love 10

I don't want to see Felicity out there kicking ass like a superhero but she needs to learn some basic self defense, just enough to escape from dangerous situations/people.  Otherwise she's actually a liability and Felicity is the type of person that would want to learn simply because she wouldn't want to let her team down, IMO.

I just flash back to Smallville where everyone from Tess Mercer to Chloe Sullivan could throwdown like the baddest boxer from Canansy Street.   This is going to be even stronger when Thea Queen returns to the scene and ready to take on Jet Li.    We saw Diggle training Felicity in Season 1, but her form (according to Sara) had gone all to hell, so maybe it's just not in her wheelhouse.

I don't know, I just feel like her in over-her-head vibe with regards to physicality, makes her super relatable, at least to me.   She can do anything on the computer but in a fist fight Laurel Lance could mop the floor with her.