Type keyword(s) to search

Endeavour - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Alistaire said:

QUOI! Yooz guys over in the U.K. have Endeavour already? C'mon, man! I'm so jealous.

I’m in the US and watched the first episode online. Now I have to go find this Vigil show too! 

• Love 4

As I understand the Primetimer policy, once an episode has aired people are free to discuss it openly in the appropriate thread. At that point it is not a spoiler since the content is available to the public. One way to avoid exposure to episode details is to refrain from reading this thread until the show airs in your market.

I have seen the first two episodes of this series and intend to post here next week after the third episode airs.

• Love 4

The policy has been working pretty well for years, as far as I can tell. Threads for other non-US shows seem to manage just fine. I don't see that anything has been destroyed. However, this is off-topic for the thread so I'll stop.

• Love 1

For shows with only one thread, the board rule is that once episodes have aired, they are open for discussion and we'll continue with that. I've added a "Unaired in US" tag for people who don't want to be spoiled.

If you have any questions, you can send me a p.m.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Alistaire said:

Just wondering if anyone else here took the time to learn about “Vigil” because Shaun Evans is in it, but then decided not to watch it because it would interfere with your fan-girl (or boy) attachment to “Endeavour?”

I watched both. Vigil is available on the BBC iplayer.  I liked it, the unrealistically spacious submarine interiors notwithstanding. Shaun Evans played a healthy-looking good guy so he must have filmed it before Endeavour, for which he seemed to have lost some weight to achieve that gaunt, unhealthy drunkard look.

Episode 3 had an ambiguous ending that could allow for a fourth series, but the episode title of Terminus suggests this might be the end. I would be fine with that. Morse has transformed into the alcoholic incapable of forming relationships that is familiar from the original series, so I don't know where they can go with the character. 

• Love 3

I hope they continue with more episodes of Endeavour. I love it and I think there is more to the story. 

I haven’t watched Vigil, but plan to as soon as it airs in the US. I think Shaun Evans is an excellent actor and I have no problem seeing him in other roles.

• Love 4

I'm not sure this would be a great ending, with Sam lost and the Thursdays' relations all deranged again, and with that ambivalence about where Morse goes next. They've done so much back and forth with the character and his relationship to his job with this show that I hope when it does end we get something of an idea of what finally made him stick with it and move forward toward becoming DCI himself.

That said, I enjoyed this series a lot. Much more than last year, even with all the Christie Capers in the last episode. The second ep, "Scherzo" is one of my favorites of the series, even though it featured Morse at his worst.

Really the final episode felt kind of like a Halloween special with all the spooky twists and costumes. So if that was actually the finale, I say they do a Christmas special to tie up some of the loose ends.

Team Stout Jim

• Love 3

I just finished the second episode and while both so far were up to the usual high Endeavor standards, they’re starting to make me sad. I know we always knew where this would end, but seeing a drunken mess Morse stumble over to Joan’s only to find her out for the night (with a man fully capable of asking her on a date) was just depressing. But so goes the story, right where we always knew it would lead. Loved seeing more of Bright.  

• Love 2

At this point, I’m thrilled that they don’t wind up together. They have nothing in common. I think she has been horrible to him - even as just a friend.

What finally did it for me was her response (or lack of response) to that desperate letter he wrote her before he went to Venice to confront Ludo & Violetta.

Spoiler

He told her that he had done terrible things, burned all of his bridges, that she was the only person who might give him the benefit of the doubt, and that he might not survive the trip to Venice. This was a letter from someone who had been there for her when she had nowhere else to turn & helped her get out of a terrible trap. Judging from what she said, didn’t respond or even ask anyone else what happened. It’s two months later and she asks him some vague question about it. Forget romance. How about friendship? I would never treat anyone that way and find it genuinely shocking.

He’s well rid of her.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Dessert said:

At this point, I’m thrilled that they don’t wind up together. They have nothing in common. I think she has been horrible to him - even as just a friend.

What finally did it for me was her response (or lack of response) to that desperate letter he wrote her before he went to Venice to confront Ludo & Violetta.

Reveal spoiler

He told her that he had done terrible things, burned all of his bridges, that she was the only person who might give him the benefit of the doubt, and that he might not survive the trip to Venice. This was a letter from someone who had been there for her when she had nowhere else to turn & helped her get out of a terrible trap. Judging from what she said, didn’t respond or even ask anyone else what happened. It’s two months later and she asks him some vague question about it. Forget romance. How about friendship? I would never treat anyone that way and find it genuinely shocking.

He’s well rid of her.

She is very angry and cold towards him, I agree. But I think she was done with him and his inability to just make something happen with her years ago. She’s actually charming with Strange. And I never wanted Morse and Joan together…I just get sad at what he’s becoming. Still love him though. 

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, racked said:

She is very angry and cold towards him, I agree. But I think she was done with him and his inability to just make something happen with her years ago. She’s actually charming with Strange. And I never wanted Morse and Joan together…I just get sad at what he’s becoming. Still love him though. 

I disagree and I have to rant, because I was genuinely shocked.

He has tried to make it happen with her, awkwardly, but he has tried once or twice. I don’t really care. She has behaved horribly towards him - even as a friend - especially as a friend!

This is a man she turned to in a dark hour, when she had no one else. He helped her and gave her the means to extract herself from a life-threatening relationship. He kept her secrets. 

He had asked her to marry him and he accepted her refusal, even though he was still in love with her. He didn’t pester her with his attentions. What did she do? She bizarrely humiliated him by setting him up with a friend, as though he was some pathetic loser who couldn’t find a woman to sleep with. He was obviously hurt.

When Claudine ghosted him and Joan picked that moment - when he was drunk, hurt, and angry - to hit on him, he summoned the self-respect to politely turn her down. A few weeks later, when he (foolishly) had second thoughts and approached her, she very nastily turned him down. Later, he was nasty to her in return and had the good sense to start avoiding her.

Then he writes that letter. She doesn’t even muster the interest or sympathy to find out why he was so desperate, how he had burned all of his bridges, if he was all right. Unbelievable!

Forget romance, I would never, ever want a friend like Joan Thursday. Boring politician Strange deserves better and should run for his life.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Looking forward to seeing the new season of Endeavour. Enjoying seeing a few old episodes of Morse , and Lewis on PBS.  Loved the series "Before We Die" a Swedish police drama that's riveting. I didn't see a listing for it here on this site, maybe not enough interest here?

• Love 1
On 9/1/2021 at 7:52 PM, Alistaire said:

I just figured out why I’m so in love with “Endeavour.” This will strike some as politically incorrect, but as the French might say, I fiche myself of political correctness when it comes to series this good. All the male characters look, act, and dress like men’s men in their own ways

Yes, “Endeavour” is rainin’ men, and Hallelujah for that.

Yes, this! And for me, especially Roger Allam! So naturally I dislike the dour Winnie, haha!

I was very pleasantly surprised in watching an old "Midsomer Murders" to see a young Roger!

• Love 3
On 10/3/2021 at 6:54 PM, Dessert said:

I disagree and I have to rant, because I was genuinely shocked.

He has tried to make it happen with her, awkwardly, but he has tried once or twice. I don’t really care. She has behaved horribly towards him - even as a friend - especially as a friend!

This is a man she turned to in a dark hour, when she had no one else. He helped her and gave her the means to extract herself from a life-threatening relationship. He kept her secrets. 

He had asked her to marry him and he accepted her refusal, even though he was still in love with her. He didn’t pester her with his attentions. What did she do? She bizarrely humiliated him by setting him up with a friend, as though he was some pathetic loser who couldn’t find a woman to sleep with. He was obviously hurt.

When Claudine ghosted him and Joan picked that moment - when he was drunk, hurt, and angry - to hit on him, he summoned the self-respect to politely turn her down. A few weeks later, when he (foolishly) had second thoughts and approached her, she very nastily turned him down. Later, he was nasty to her in return and had the good sense to start avoiding her.

Then he writes that letter. She doesn’t even muster the interest or sympathy to find out why he was so desperate, how he had burned all of his bridges, if he was all right. Unbelievable!

Forget romance, I would never, ever want a friend like Joan Thursday. Boring politician Strange deserves better and should run for his life.

Except for her helping children, I think Joan Thursday as a character was extremely  unlikable. Hard-hearted towards her father, cold-hearted towards Endeavour. So she picks a wrong'un; who could care by then? Not I! 

And then that rooftop scene. Could Joan really have been as wide-eyed innocent as she made out to be, as matchmaker for the love-sick Morse? Please. She was cruel. 

That was Joan's defining trait. Who needs her?!

• Love 4

I've finally finished this past series and I have all the feels and my thoughts are all over the place! I was hoping that Sam would tie in somehow to the main plot, but maybe they're using that as a cliffhanger to get another series. 🤞🏾🤞🏾🤞🏾🤞🏾 But the fact the bus number was 33 and that's how many episodes there are of Inspector Morse and Lewis and Terminus is Endeavour's 33rd make me have second thoughts.

Dr. Hu? Really? 😆

I love the continuity in this show so much! The little boy from the second episode shooting cans from Richardson's (Arcadia), the guy mentioning he'd read a book on the murders of the creepy house written by someone named Fitzowen (Nocturne), Thursday telling Morse that alcohol makes a poor master (Trove).

For anyone in the US, some PBS stations are running a special called Endeavour: The Evolution. I'm in the DC area so it's on WETA tomorrow night Sunday, February 27, at 9:00 (but not MPT). I found an ad for it that comes from Arizona and it's airing tonight there.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

Many thanks, Popples! E: The Evolution is airing here (Chicago) tonight--I had no idea and would have missed it. (Hit record and now I think I should back away from this thread until the latest series airs here;-)

ETA: Morse fan from the Inspector Morse days, I think your comment on the number 33 is spot on. Unfortunately. 

Edited by buttersister
Not many meaningless coincidences in the Morse universe.

Endeavor the Revolution comes on PBS in my area (WOSU) tonight at 10:00.  I'm a little afraid to watch it for fear of there being spoilers from season 8.  

8:00 is a behind the scenes thing about Around the World in 80 Days and 9:00 is an old Downton Abbey recap/ad for the movie  -- so I'm wondering if this is going to be one of those nights where a few moments of things we're actually interested in are spliced between pleas for pledges.

• Love 1
On 2/6/2022 at 9:01 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

Yes, this! And for me, especially Roger Allam! So naturally I dislike the dour Winnie, haha!

I was very pleasantly surprised in watching an old "Midsomer Murders" to see a young Roger!

Roger is in a new series on Britbox, “Murder in Provence”, in which he plays a French investigative judge. Oddly enough, every French person on the show speaks with a British accent, while the Italians and Americans use their normal accents. I just suspend disbelief and pretend the show is taking place in a sunnier and warmer Oxford, with better food.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Rickster said:

Roger is in a new series on Britbox, “Murder in Provence”, in which he plays a French investigative judge. Oddly enough, every French person on the show speaks with a British accent, while the Italians and Americans use their normal accents. I just suspend disbelief and pretend the show is taking place in a sunnier and warmer Oxford, with better food.

LOL, I was coming here to post this, have seen episode 1 so far.  He’s quite enjoyable as an investigating judge, sunnier than Thursday. But then, he’s in Aix!

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Rickster said:

Merci beaucoup, mon ami!

• Love 2
On 3/7/2022 at 3:19 PM, buttersister said:

LOL, I was coming here to post this, have seen episode 1 so far.  He’s quite enjoyable as an investigating judge, sunnier than Thursday. But then, he’s in Aix!

I watched all the episodes and really enjoyed it. It's great so see Roger Allam seem more confident and definitely sunnier and Lady Felicia from Father Brown is in it too!

• Love 7
On 3/7/2022 at 1:34 PM, Rickster said:

Thank you for recommending this! I am watching the first episode now.

5 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

To pay homage to Win, maybe a plate of day of the week sandwiches to nosh on whilst watching episode 1.

We still don't know what Wednesday's sandwich is.

• Love 1

Anybody who likes Roger Allam should definitely watch "Murder in Provence". He and "Lady Felicia" from Father Brown are charming together and the murder mysteries are very good.  I hope they will do more than the measly three episodes we got for a first season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

They just announced that the 9th season (which is currently filming) is going to be their last season - twitter post.   My prediction is the last scene will be him buying The Car. 

And, just a reminder that we're going to see the 8th season in the US in a few weeks!  

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

Of course I want more but I am grateful for what we got and the quality we had to watch for years.  Going out on their own terms means we will get a proper ending.

I wish for Thursday and Bright to retire in peace. I wish Morse was destined to be a happier man but we knew from the first episode of this show that was not to be.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I had actually thought that we already knew that there was only going to one more season.  I am surprised that they are going to end with 36 and not stop at 33. Surprised but not upset.

• Love 5

I suspected the end was nigh, and I know this series has had the most episodes of all the shows in the Morse "universe," but I'm still sad to hear the news. 

I wonder if there will be any more of a time jump than usual. And mostly I just hope they give us a bit of fan service and everyone survives.

• Love 11
(edited)

Three episodes only.

One gripe: Joan. Still don't like her. Don't like the newly-trim  Rigby's "poaching." And don't care for her anachronistic hairstyle. For that era it should be dead-straight, parted in the middle, not wavy-curly. 

Same goes for the 'do of reporter Frazil, although she is too old for either of the above styles. (Don't get me started on CS Bright.)

I'm a third through Episode 1, and am finding it excruciatingly boring. Endeavour must be also, as he is letting his charge out of his sight and presence often. And not pursuing, or even being on the lookout for, that "man in black" following the player? 

And constructing an entire storyline around this particular sport? 

Moreover, what was with Jackie's NOT  standing up to meet all those from his past on the TV show? His elder comes out, and Jackie just sits to shake his hand. 

Of course, it's all the writer's raison d'etre to collect a bunch of suspects in one place. How conveeenient for Morse.

Morse sleeps on the couch?! Is unaware that Jackie had a girl in early?! 

Morse doesn't ask "Bill Shaw, Special Branch," for any ID?!

Hanging in the bar after the big game, while Jackie is elsewhere?!

WTH kind of "bodyguarding" is THIS?!

Well, as it turns out---PISS-POOR, THAT'S WHAT THE HELL KIND!!

BUT EVEN WORSE, Morse's dereliction of duty is a major PLOT POINT---and shown as part of the clever policing!---when Thursday and Morse figure out that Jackie met with former love (now-married and abused) Mrs. Sellars after the TV show. But why wasn't  "bodyguard" Morse WITH Jackie?!

And no Superior questions Morse on his complete failure to guard, when Jackie goes missing?! 

Men laughing and drinking at the bar with a murdered young team member not cold yet?

A hoary old tale of game-fixing? What is this, 1932? Plus, a conspiracy to acquire land? Gee, haven't  seen THAT plot before.

OMG. What an execrable script. We've waited for this? 

Meanwhile, there was a package bomb, a murdered woman, and a targeted professor... Why can't that be the main story? Oh, wait; Morse investigates when spelled as bodyguard. 

I don't know. I'm completely  underwhelmed. I get no personality from Morse, Thursday, or Joan; only a hint, because of his physical change and approach to Joan, with Rigby; a bit of wryness from Bright. Indeed, Winnie's laughter brings the most spark. 

Who'da thunk?!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

Never try to blackmail an Oxford Don (is that what he was, I'm not sure).  You will end up dead.  

I thought that last night, Shaun was looking more and more like John Thaw.  They are really making sure that they are showing that drinking is taking a toll on Morse.  Especially in caparison to how great Strange was looking.  And Thursday.  Its nice seeing Roger looking happy :-) 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

One gripe: Joan. Still don't like her. Don't like the newly-trim  Rigby's "poaching." And don't care for her anachronistic hairstyle. For that era it should be dead-straight, parted in the middle, not wavy-curly. 

I wore my hair parted in the middle and ironed straight in 1966 but by 1971 I was letting the wave show because "natural" was the thing.  We were working our way to Farrah Fawcett shag by then. Check out the Glamour covers for 1971 and Jean Shrimpton's curly Vogue cover.

I agree with you that Endeavor's bodyguard work was lazy.

I did prefer Strange as a lonely, overweight man, but I don't blame him for asking Joan out.  It's been years since she was seen dating Morse and Jim can't have known how much she meant to him.

I was glad to see them all back.  Bright's "Gunmen roaming the streets and political violence?" was good, as was Thursday's prediction that this was just the beginning.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Three episodes only.

Same goes for the 'do of reporter Frazil, although she is too old for either of the above styles. (Don't get me started on CS Bright.)

I'm a third through Episode 1, and am finding it excruciatingly boring. Endeavour must be also, as he is letting his charge out of his sight and presence often. And not pursuing, or even being on the lookout for, that "man in black" following the player? 

And constructing an entire storyline around this particular sport? 

Moreover, what was with Jackie's NOT  standing up to meet all those from his past on the TV show? His elder comes out, and Jackie just sits to shake his hand. 

Of course, it's all the writer's raison d'etre to collect a bunch of suspects in one place. How conveeenient for Morse.

Morse sleeps on the couch?! Is unaware that Jackie had a girl in early?! 

Morse doesn't ask "Bill Shaw, Special Branch," for any ID?!

Hanging in the bar after the big game, while Jackie is elsewhere?!

WTH kind of "bodyguarding" is THIS?!

Well, as it turns out---PISS-POOR, THAT'S WHAT THE HELL KIND!!

BUT EVEN WORSE, Morse's dereliction of duty is a major PLOT POINT---and shown as part of the clever policing!---when Thursday and Morse figure out that Jackie met with former love (now-married and abused) Mrs. Sellars after the TV show. But why wasn't  "bodyguard" Morse WITH Jackie?!

And no Superior questions Morse on his complete failure to guard, when Jackie goes missing?! 

Men laughing and drinking at the bar with a murdered young team member not cold yet?

A hoary old tale of game-fixing? What is this, 1932? Plus, a conspiracy to acquire land? Gee, haven't  seen THAT plot before.

OMG. What an execrable script. We've waited for this? 

Meanwhile, there was a package bomb, a murdered woman, and a targeted professor... Why can't that be the main story? Oh, wait; Morse investigates when spelled as bodyguard. 

I don't know. I'm completely  underwhelmed. I get no personality from Morse, Thursday, or Joan; only a hint, because of his physical change and approach to Joan, with Rigby; a bit of wryness from Bright. Indeed, Winnie's laughter brings the most spark. 

Who'da thunk?!

I agree with everything you say (and My God, I have never been bored with watching this show until now) except for the hair.   Stick straight (ironed or set on super large curlers) and parted in the middle was usually teen girls.   A women of Joan's age  (20s) was more likely to wear it like she did and believe it or not, Bouffants were still being worn at that time (I know because I had teachers who wore them).   The reporter's hair wasn''t right for that time - for one, a woman of the reporter's age would have worn it more styled and again, possibly more bouffant.   Her long layers wouldn't really be a thing for a few years later and then usually worn by younger women.

I also had a quibble about the Hot Pants seen on the runway.  1971 was certainly a year for Hot Pants but they were almost always worn with boots (especially the lace up ones) and also usually with colored hose.  The way they showed them on the runway evoked more  1930s chorus girl than 1971 hot fashion trend.  

As an aside - does anybody know why the actor who plays Jim Strange lost so much weight?  He looks almost like a totally different person - it was hard getting my head around that it was still the same actor/character.    I think he is going to wind up marrying Joan (in the future).  Maybe another reason Morse likes to hit the bottle.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

Okay, since I brought it up:

I was in college 1967--1971. Got married in 1973. For that entire time and beyond, I wore my hair the way (serial-killer Ted Bundy preferred; almost all his victims, 1974--1978) I described, and so did many other young women I knew: long, straight, and parted in the middle.

But yes, there were other styles coming to the fore. Not all of us had hair that could have wings like Farrah's, though! 

Topic: The "internal corruption" arc was terrific. The "Ludo" arc was mysterious and intriguing. I fear for the "IRA" arc. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Found the puzzles surprisingly and disappointingly Un-puzzling (Dollhouse discovery seemed really a stretch to me, the clock in the magazine photo a minor clue at best, and the final denouement with the killer unintelligible. All imho, however.) But It was like catching up with a bunch of good friends, whom I hadn't seen in a couple of years and really missed and I enjoyed every minute of the episode. (Except maybe "Miss Thursday"''s criticism of Morse's drinking, which grated a bit and seemed particularly unfeeling. Or was it just me?)  I agree with some previous comments about Morse's sloppy police work. Not asking for his replacement's i.d. was glaring. But since even a whiney, sloppy Endeavour puts me in a good mood, I'll credit the writer(s) with doing that purposefully to show how low our bright, young detective has fallen. I will not, however, hear anything bad about my man, Bright. Who cares if he's keeping up with the 70's? He shot a tiger in the garden, and showed up at the O.K. Corral shootout, for crying out loud. He'll always be a shining star in my sky. 

• Love 22

I dunno. I drifted a bit, likely because what LennieBriscoe said.

I practically yelled at the relief cop for his ID, then again, when he went to get shot, uh, get the door.

So this is Sean’s Morse melding into (my beloved) John Thaw’s Morse? Ok. I guess. Car, check. Opera, check. Drinking, checking in. Bad luck with women, oh yeah. But shitty body guarding? Really? I’m in but Russell’s script wasn’t very good, here’s hoping those improve.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

No. Wait. Now it's all about The Troubles?!

I suppose an Irish footballer's being a star on an English team was supposed to be a clue? 

Saints preserve us. 

Why wouldn't they cover this subject eventually?  From what I understand it was a big problem in the seventies in the UK.

I didn't find this episode boring.  It is somewhat frustrating and sad though that we are in the end game process of watching our brilliant Endeavour turn into OriginalRecipe!Morse - no happy ending for him.

I hope they will give Thursday and Bright a peaceful retirement.  I don't want this show to end on a complete downer next year.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

BUT EVEN WORSE, Morse's dereliction of duty is a major PLOT POINT

Morse is deeply depressed and at the beginning of a yearlong bender. He’s not doing his job. That’s the point. 

Spoiler

It gets worse and will be repercussions.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2