Type keyword(s) to search

Dynasty (2017) - General Discussion

Bort
  • Start Topic

On 1/29/2020 at 11:22 PM, A.J. said:

I agree that Sam needs better writing.  He has been hit or miss (mostly miss) since Steven left.  And when are they going to address what happened to Steven?  Does no one in the family care? 

Speaking of Culhane, and I know this will never happen, I would love to see a romance between him and Jeff.  I get such strong vibes when I see them together being cool with each other. 

Lastly, I hate that I am feeling sympathy for Adam.  I still think he needs to pay for what he did to Alexis.       

There are only two black males on this show and you want them to be gay? I'm sorry but no, I want Culhane back with Fallon.

On 1/25/2020 at 11:30 PM, txhorns79 said:

I do love how bonkers this show is, and how Elizabeth Gillies and Sam Underwood seem to really lean into it.  I also would honestly be fine if they cut Culhane, Sammy Jo and the poor man's Matt Bomer.  That whole storyline was boring.       

Aww, but Poor Man's Matt Bomer is so nice to look at.

On 2/1/2020 at 11:43 AM, Artsda said:

Alexis is upset over Adam poisoning but not herself for killing a baby and innocent man?

More than that, she seems to no having a problem with Adam shoving her face in an active fireplace.  She could have died.  Where is the anger and revenge for that? 

• Love 2
On 2/4/2020 at 12:51 PM, mommalib said:

There are only two black males on this show and you want them to be gay? I'm sorry but no, I want Culhane back with Fallon.

It won't happen.  And heaven forbid two black men on a show gets together as a couple.  Networks almost never do this for some reason.  Noah's Arc and The LA Complex are the only time I can remember this being done on a series.  The portrayal of black gay male couples is one of the least represented groups on television, movies, etc.    

15 hours ago, A.J. said:

It won't happen.  And heaven forbid two black men on a show gets together as a couple.  Networks almost never do this for some reason.  Noah's Arc and The LA Complex are the only time I can remember this being done on a series.  The portrayal of black gay male couples is one of the least represented groups on television, movies, etc.    

I'm not homophobic or anything but it feels like I see a gay black male character every time I turn around it's almost becoming a cliche especially on those netflix shows. Meanwhile there still seems like there is a problem with strait black male sexuality on tv and in movies.

On 2/11/2020 at 2:51 PM, mommalib said:

I'm not homophobic or anything but it feels like I see a gay black male character every time I turn around it's almost becoming a cliche especially on those netflix shows. Meanwhile there still seems like there is a problem with strait black male sexuality on tv and in movies.

What shows are you seeing these gay black male characters?  They are not in any of the shows I watch.  

And I was specifically speaking to the lack of black male gay love on the big and small screen.  

Loved Fallon's red coat. Of course she color-coordinated with her car.

Rumor has it Steven is returning next season. Meanwhile, over on reddit some have called for the return of Dex. That could be interesting,  especially if they cast an actor with the smoldering charisma Michael Nader had back in the day.

On 2/14/2020 at 2:49 AM, MsTree said:

Pose

That's only 1 show not the abundance of shows/characters the other poster mentioned.  And unfortunately from what I've seen the range of characters is not that diverse on Pose.  

On 2/16/2020 at 3:45 PM, KittenPokerCheater said:

I don't remember who Der is, but it would be great to see Steven come back.  I've never took a shine to Adam.  He's done too much bad stuff- poison/shoving his Mom's face in a fire/gaslighting his brother/boyfriend? into an institution?  Even for this show, it's beyond the pale.

Dex was Alexis's love interest played by Michael Nader, who really did have some amazing charisma. (I knew him from his turn on All My Children in the 90's.)

I had this weird theory that Fletcher was actually Steven with an altered face and plotting his moves/revenge against Adam while dating Sam, but the whole husband thing kind of threw me off that. I did think Not Matt Bomer would have made a pretty decent Steven recast, if they're still going with the idea of recasting Steven. And of course, I would've fucking loved Brent Antonello playing Steven instead of Faux Adam.

James MacKay does seem like a pretty sweet guy, though. He's not right for paying in a soap opera but I hope he gets into musical theater because he really does have a nice voice.

Edited by methodwriter85

Dex was awesome! The amazing thing about his character was that he got along with everybody. Even though he was Alexis's business partner and her husband for a while, it's not like he was feuding with the Carringtons. He didn't feud with anybody (except, sometimes, Alexis!). He was the Sweden of Dynasty, he was neutral, which would seem impossible on a show like that, but somehow he pulled it off. And looked great doing so! I wonder what the reboot would do with his character? 

• Love 3
On 2/13/2020 at 7:56 PM, A.J. said:

What shows are you seeing these gay black male characters?  They are not in any of the shows I watch.  

I'm not the original poster, but there's a black male character on the Bold Type. That's just one show though.

I didn't think I cared about Fallon/Liam, but I was pretty excited when he proposed. Of course they have to instantly bring drama.

2 hours ago, Artsda said:

I liked the black & white story, then the fakeout. Liam having the peach diamond and proposing was sweet. 

Well thank god that Liam just came up with the story on the fly and it wasn't a real pitch for a story, because that story showed he didn't have much talent.

Don't care about the proposal or Liam's long lost child after the last episode where he voiced that he doesn't really want kids.

• Love 1

On the plus side, I guess the Dynasty writers can identify an intentionally bad story.

The Adam and Kirby stuff seems weird. And why does Adam want to remain a doctor? He can poison people without a license.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/22/2020 at 4:27 PM, mommalib said:

I'm just wondering when Fallon and Liam will be over because i'm still holding out hope for Fallon and Michael.

We're in the minority but I want Fallon with Michael too. I'm scared Falliam gets married, pregnant and that's all. Boo, writers, come back to the original story please.

I don't mind Liam and Fallon; however, Fallon's story is so disconnected from everything else that's going on. It's really the B plot or C plot story.  I want to see Fallon build a dynasty!

Michael feels like the writers don't know what to do with him, but are unwilling to write him off the show... So they introduced Vanessa so Michael will have a relationship and will have a story. And I just don't care about them as a couple or if Vanessa makes it as a big star or whatever.

Adam still don't like him. I don't know how either Alexis or Jeff can work with the guy!  

I like Adam, but his backstory started out super dark. Fallon is becoming a caricature and boring because the stunts are always the same. Blake is just floundering and Anders is completely wasted now.

I was thinking Liam's baby mama was going to end up dead in the cross fire from Crystal/Alexis, but I suppose her just running off accomplishes the same thing.

Fallon is really quite a bitch, I am not sure why I'm always rooting for her. I thought we just had an episode about how she wanted kids? 

21 hours ago, Fireball said:

I don't mind Liam and Fallon; however, Fallon's story is so disconnected from everything else that's going on. It's really the B plot or C plot story.  I want to see Fallon build a dynasty!

Yeah, it would be nice if Fallon was involved with the storyline around getting back Carrington Atlantic. Or competing with Blake somehow. I know she has her media business, but it seems like it is always just about using that to help her relationship.

6 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Fallon is really quite a bitch, I am not sure why I'm always rooting for her. I thought we just had an episode about how she wanted kids? 

Fallon really is a piece of work. I also don't know why I'm always rooting for her. However, I can understand wanting kids, but maybe not wanting to be a stepmom.

• Love 1

So the teen mom chose to keep the baby against Liam's knowledge, then drops him on Liam with "it's your turn now?" He didn't abandon him with the other. 

Can't they just  send him to rich kids boarding school? 

• Love 4
(edited)
14 hours ago, Fireball said:

Fallon really is a piece of work. I also don't know why I'm always rooting for her. However, I can understand wanting kids, but maybe not wanting to be a stepmom.

Because we always root for the poor little rich girl, from Scarlett O'Hara to Erica Kane to Blair Warner to Blair Waldorf.  I think it's because as nasty as they always outwardly are, there's a heart underneath it all, plus a real zest and love for life.

And yeah, she wanted kids, but she meant her own kids, and in her own time. Not immediately dropped with a 10-year old. Fallon's like, what? 27? Most women in her age group with professional aspirations are putting off kids 'til like 35 or 36, up to their early 40's. I figured Fallon was thinking in similar terms.

Was there a line about how Sharon Lawrence was completely disinterested in the "new" heir? Because I would think she'd book a flight and immediately turn into a grandmother from hell type.

I took Alexis's line about the parent will always choose the child over the prospective bride as a sly little nod to the Parent Trap. Aww.

I'm glad Cristal's hot gay brother is back. Now can we finally see him sex up Sam like he should have last year?

Edited by methodwriter85

Finally got caught up on the last two episodes.

What was that weird tie/harness/belt thing Sam was wearing in the film noir episode?

I'm surprised Sam just took Fletcher's word for it that he was in an open marriage.

Was not a fan of that peach diamond. It seemed like a fake color to me.

Speaking again of odd wardrobe choices, what was that green stuff on Cristal's coat epaulets? It looked like either pieces of carpet or chia sprouts.

------

People rent children! It happens!

I think maybe Fallon should've changed into a more appropriate outfit before she went to give those bribe games to Connor.

WOW, Dominique. That thirsty for reality show fame? It's one thing if she doesn't mind humiliating herself publicly but why do that to Vanessa? Stupid Culhane. ("We were on a break!" 😑) The only way this could get worse for him is if both women turn up pregnant.

Geez, "new black SUV" couldn't be more generic. Cristal is bad at plotting hits. But I'm surprised her brother took a risk like that. He better hope there were no hidden security cameras.

They name dropped John Mayer several times. Wonder what that was all about?

I don't recall, has it been mentioned  that Liam got DNA test confirmation Connor is his child? Because if not, I'm betting the kid isn't his. Or Heidi's.

2 hours ago, Artsda said:

Fallon wanting to fight custody was a good twist.

She has known this child a week. It is a horrible twist as the child will most likely be gone within a few episodes. 

What I hate the most about Fallon's relationship with Liam that all her stories end up revolving around her relationship. Not her family. Not her friends. Not her drive to build her own dynasty.

• Love 2

Lol, how is Dominique going to have House of Devereaux in Blake's house? I know reality shows are largely fake but it would be trivial for the viewers to find out the house isn't hers and she's basically a poor relation of the Carringtons.

Gotta admit, I think Alexis and Jeff actually work as a couple even if it's only a business arrangement. Wonder who's messing with Jeff's head via that herbal tea?

Why is Adam only "sort of" a real doctor? Guess that's a plot point I've forgotten.

Not a fan of the new intro.

Does Blake speak Spanish?

Man, I know he's just a child but Connor is a piece of work. And I still don't think he's actually Adam's kid. I don't think he's Heidi's kid either.

Comparing Vanessa to Whitney Houston. Pssht. Are these clowns for real?

Heh, Dominique is basically pimping out her stepdaughter. She's definitely studied the "momager" playbook.

5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Why is Adam only "sort of" a real doctor? Guess that's a plot point I've forgotten.

Didn't he originally get his license taken away for stealing meds for his dying kidnapper mom?

• Useful 1
On 4/2/2020 at 9:42 PM, KaveDweller said:

Didn't he originally get his license taken away for stealing meds for his dying kidnapper mom?

Dying kidnapper mom that he overdose to kill her when he learned the truth of him being a Carrington.

• Love 1

Since I bing watch original Dynasty right now, I've decided to watch bit of the new one again. But it is so badly written and acted that I feel sorry for some actors who are stuck in it. At times it looks like a sketch show in a bad amateur theatre... 😞   

14 hours ago, skotnikov said:

Since I bing watch original Dynasty right now, I've decided to watch bit of the new one again. But it is so badly written and acted that I feel sorry for some actors who are stuck in it. At times it looks like a sketch show in a bad amateur theatre... 😞   

I rather enjoy this version of Dynasty, and believe the actors are actually having fun making it. Don't look at it as an actual reproduction, but more of a parody, this way it's less critical 😉

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, MsTree said:

I rather enjoy this version of Dynasty, and believe the actors are actually having fun making it. Don't look at it as an actual reproduction, but more of a parody, this way it's less critical 😉

Oh well... Amateurish sketch show indeed 😂

Edited by skotnikov
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 4/5/2020 at 3:42 AM, MsTree said:

That is exactly how I look at this show. When they introduced Adam they tried giving this show a darker more Revenge-like feel, but now we're back to frothy bubbles and I'm happy with it. It's basically Soapdish.

Sam continues being too stupid to live. Wasn't he supposed to be a con guy?

I don't think any of the actors take this too seriously. They seem to just have fun with it and roll with it. You could really see that during the musical episode.

I feel like they're setting up Adam to have everybody basically forgive him for everything, only to rip the rug out from under him when the Stephen thing is revealed.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

That is exactly how I look at this show. When they introduced Adam they tried giving this show a darker more Revenge-like feel, but now we're back to frothy bubbles and I'm happy with it. It's basically Soapdish.

Sam continues being too stupid to live. Wasn't he supposed to be a con guy?

I don't think any of the actors take this too seriously. They seem to just have fun with it and roll with it. You could really see that during the musical episode.

I feel like they're setting up Adam to have everybody basically forgive him for everything, only to rip the rug out from under him when the Stephen thing is revealed.

What Stephen thing have I forgotten?

I don't where The Cleansing Moon Ranch exterior shots were filmed but it sure wasn't southern Arizona.

I have a feeling Cristal is gonna go Fleabag with the hot priest.

How big are the curtain rods in Sam's hotel? That stolen watch wasn't all that small.

Adam is going to kill Jeff, isn't he? But he'll make it look like the surgery failed.

I had a feeling Liam and Fallon were in on the scam that Blake was running with Liam's mom. Glad to see that rather than having more on again off again crap.

Fallon has employees? That she interacts with? Wish we got to see some of her business storylines like in season 1.

• Love 1

Why is it that I think the only reason Blake told Fallon and Liam about the scheme was because he found out that Liam will gain all those stocks at the time of his marriage. Which is funny because that should have happened when he fake married Fallon the first time.

I liked Blake  working with them instead of against.  They didn't go the predictable route. 

I agree though, that he has the ulterior motive that he knows Liam will inherit once they're married. 

• Love 2
On 4/14/2020 at 7:10 PM, txhorns79 said:

Cristal #1 opens up a bit about leaving Dynasty.

I don't recall at the time whether it was known that she was fired.  I was under the impression she had quit, but that might just be me mis-remembering. 

I remember hearing at the time that she was not happy about it, so it was known.

Thanks for that article though, I watched Baker and the Beauty and did not recognize her at all.

On 4/15/2020 at 7:28 PM, KaveDweller said:

Thanks for that article though, I watched Baker and the Beauty and did not recognize her at all.

I did and I loved the show so it stands to reason that ABC will cancel it after one season. I really liked Grand Hotel last summer too.