Type keyword(s) to search

A.P. Bio - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

It's interesting to me how much NBC is being defended for thumbing its nose at fans of this show. Even if showing the remaining episodes of a cancelled show is a longstanding common practice, it seems like a rather cynical one to me. Why not just wait to announce the cancellation until after all the episodes have aired?

30 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

It's interesting to me how much NBC is being defended for thumbing its nose at fans of this show. Even if showing the remaining episodes of a cancelled show is a longstanding common practice, it seems like a rather cynical one to me. Why not just wait to announce the cancellation until after all the episodes have aired?

I'm not defending NBC. I'm just saying that they already paid to have all the S2 episodes written, filmed, and edited, so why wouldn't they air them just because S3 isn't happening? That's like having food in your refrigerator now and knowing that you're going out to dinner with friends in the near future. You can still eat the food that's in your fridge now or a few days from now. You already went to the grocery store, picked it out, and paid for it so why waste it? You can also decide to not eat that food and then throw it away and justify it by saying that you're going out to eat with your friends, but in reality there's no reason why you can't eat the food in your refrigerator AND go out to dinner with your friends.

As for why they announced the cancellation in May before all of S2 finished airing, the new seasons are always announced in May. This is standard network practice and has to do with actors being contracted to the shows they're currently on. If their shows are not being renewed, they are released from their contracts so that they can seek other work for next season.

If NBC really wanted to thumb their nose at the show's fans, they wouldn't have aired the remaining four episodes. They could have shown reruns of shows that get better ratings during AP Bio's time slot instead.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm not defending NBC. I'm just saying that they already paid to have all the S2 episodes written, filmed, and edited, so why wouldn't they air them just because S3 isn't happening? That's like having food in your refrigerator now and knowing that you're going out to dinner with friends in the near future. You can still eat the food that's in your fridge now or a few days from now. You already went to the grocery store, picked it out, and paid for it so why waste it? You can also decide to not eat that food and then throw it away and justify it by saying that you're going out to eat with your friends, but in reality there's no reason why you can't eat the food in your refrigerator AND go out to dinner with your friends.

As for why they announced the cancellation in May before all of S2 finished airing, the new seasons are always announced in May. This is standard network practice and has to do with actors being contracted to the shows they're currently on. If their shows are not being renewed, they are released from their contracts so that they can seek other work for next season.

If NBC really wanted to thumb their nose at the show's fans, they wouldn't have aired the remaining four episodes. They could have shown reruns of shows that get better ratings during AP Bio's time slot instead.

Yeah I don't think it's really defending NBC to say that their actions are typical network stupidity and there is no particular hypocrisy involved. As far as cancellaton, pilot season, etc. that is changing a bit as business models are changing, but yes everyone involved would rather get the word officially instead of waiting until all the episodes are aired in the name of decorum. As you say it is much harder for actors to get cast in a new role if they are in "second position" still officially under contract, especially if there is even a small chance of renewal, which there was for this show. Also the longer they wait the less chance there is of making a deal with one of the streaming services to pick it up. Arguably is annoying that there are these gaps and so many episodes left to air, but that comes back to bad scheduling decisions rather than any sort of malice.

And if NBC really wanted to thumb their nose at the fans and the people making the show and make a cash grab they could have pulled the the remaining episodes and put them on NBC.com where they get all the revenue from ad sales and said that Mike O'Brien is aways talking about how the show's viewership is loyal but watches in non-traditional ways so it's no big deal right?

• Love 2

I'm not trying to look at this from NBC'S point of view. I am a consumer of their products; I don't work for them or their advertisers. As a consumer I feel like my support of this particular product has been disrespected, especially now since they're going to toss the few remaining dregs at me before killing the product. I have more respect for the model used when it's announced well in advance that the upcoming season will be the final one. Then as a long-standing fan I can decide whether to invest in that season at all. AFAIC, this practice of cancelling shows before the current season is over (or near the end of it) and then dropping the remaining episodes later is like Lucy teeing up the football for Charlie Brown.

And my beef isn't really with NBC so much as the way cancellations are handled by the broadcast networks in general. IMO NBC did right by picking up Brooklyn Nine-Nine and all the kudos go to them for having done so.

On 6/3/2019 at 6:40 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

not trying to look at this from NBC'S point of view. I am a consumer of their products; I don't work for them or their advertisers. As a consumer I feel like my support of this particular product has been disrespected, especially now since they're going to toss the few re

So as a fan of the show you would have liked it better if these episodes were never shown? For the life of me I can’t fathom how this is disrespecting fans of the show in fact most fans would be apoplectic if they did not show the final episodes. 

• Love 5

The whole point of a show is the journey not the destination.

I wanted to see the last few episodes of Lucifer even after the show was canceled.

People seem to want every single question answered and happy endings all around when a show end, I just want to not get bored along the way. It is entertainment after all.

The Sopranos ending was perfect for me, the characters will continue their crazy journey looking around every corner for a bad ending even if we are not allowed to watch.

It sucks when you know there is plenty more story to tell and you end it at a major cliffhanger, but A.P. BIO isn't a show that needs an ending.

• Love 1

SERIES FINALE!

S2.E12: Ride the Ram

It's the most exciting time of the year at Whitlock: Durbin's birthday and Spirit Week. Jack does his best to steer clear of any school spirit as everyone else comes together to take down their hated rivals at Prairie High.

S2.E13: Kinda Sorta

The college fair comes to Whitlock, and Sarika has an offer to Jack: get her into Harvard, and she'll get his book into the hands of her publisher aunt. Meanwhile, Stef prepares for a visit from a fling, Helen applies to college, and Durbin tries to cement his legacy.

Original air date: 6/13/19

• Useful 1

I know the subplots with the teachers haven't always been great, but I love that there haven't been any episodes where they're competing over guys or worrying about their biological clocks or whatnot. The actresses are appealing even when their stories aren't and I like that the characters support each other.

I also appreciate that the cast look like regular people. It's refreshing to see some variety after watching so many other shows where everyone is uniformly sleek.

I just finished catching up on season 2 and I'll be sad if tonight is the last we see of this series.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

The actresses are appealing even when their stories aren't and I like that the characters support each other.

I LOVED how the handbell performance wasn't mocked and the reactions were, "Wow, she really IS good." The teachers have a really nice relationship with each other.

• Love 9

Yeah, clearly they didn't write this episode in mind with it being a series finale, and they even were sort of setting up the next season at the end with Helen becoming one of the students.

I noticed that the NBC ads before the show described it as the "series climax", which is a weird term I've never heard before.

• Love 4

Third year senior. I think maybe Chaz was a ram-riding ringer.

Heather got that good-good, apparently.

Koontzville. Oberland.

Too bad this show didn't start getting really good until it got cancelled. Or non-renewed. Or whatever.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I would have loved to see the fallout from Helen joining the class. Everyone's look of panic-shock on their faces was great. I thought both episodes were really strong. I'm going to miss this show. 

• Love 9
On 7/17/2019 at 12:11 PM, Irlandesa said:

I might have to check out the second season.   I wanted to love the first but I kind of drifted away after a few eps. But if the 2nd season is good and continues,  I might come back.

The second season was much better than the first. It's like a completely different show.

• Love 1

Here is a little information about what shows will be streaming on NBC's New Streaming Service called "Peacock". This is where the 3rd season of A.P. Bio will air. “Peacock” (www.peacocktv.com) plans to roll out in April of 2020 with over 15,000 hours of content including showcasing the 2020 Summer Olympics at the end of July.

https://www.spoilertv.com/2019/09/nbc-streaming-service-to-be-called.html

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Useful 1

Season 3 of A.P. Bio  will premiere on the Peacock streaming service, Thursday, Sept. 3rd.  All eight episodes will be released at once.

Disgraced Harvard philosophy scholar Jack Griffin (played by It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia‘s Glenn Howerton) as he toils away teaching bio to a high school in his hometown of Toledo, Ohio. The cast also includes Patton Oswalt (Veep), Mary Sohn (Work in Progress), Lyric Lewis (Baskets), Jean Villepique (Sharp Objects) and Paula Pell (30 Rock). 

• Useful 3
20 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Season 3 of A.P. Bio  will premiere on the Peacock streaming service, Thursday, Sept. 3rd.  All eight episodes will be released at once.

Any word on whether it's part of the free package, or will it be in the paid subscription service? I'm assuming the latter.

• Love 1

I watched the free 1st episode of Season 3 and thought it was the funniest episode so far, even funnier than my previous favorite when Jack and Lynette prank Jack's next door neighbor. They gave more time to the rest of the cast and got everyone, except Lynette (she might not have been around at the time of the shooting), some time to shine.

• Love 2

I finished the whole third season.  With only 8 episodes, it went pretty fast. 

I've said before that I kind of gave up after the first few episodes but once I read that others like season 2 more and Peacock picked it up for Season 3, I was going to revisit it.  I didn't actually get around to it until a few weeks ago.  The second season wasn't that much better for me but I finished because why not?  Short episodes.  Not offensive.  Good background noise.  Some laughs.

But the third season kicked things up a notch.  I found myself laughing at least once or twice every episodes (which is actually pretty good since I don't normally laugh out loud without a collective laugh) and the third episode of season 3 is about as perfect of a sitcom episode that there can be.

• Love 1

I’m watching this now on a binge basis since I am a Patton Oswald completist. If I can sit through a billion years of Agents of SHIELD for him, this is nothing.

I am enjoying it. I love Jack’s mother’s house and Helen. Patton gets some good bits. I’m already tired of the competition with the British professor, it just seems unfunny. But I’ll power through. 

• Love 1

I decided to give this show a go, as it's on Now TV. It's... Okay.

The scenes between Jack and the kids are fun. His contempt for learning is odd, considering he has a PhD, but it is funny. I like all the kids, particularly Anthony and Victor. I liked the ginger kid who seems to have left the show for season two.

Patton Oswalt is funny but kind of wasted. The three female teachers are... not funny. At all. I've started skipping their scenes because they bring absolutely nothing to the show.

• Love 1

In Canada it's showing on Showcase after episodes of Pennyworth, buried on Sun. night at around 10:30 pm. The not so favourable time slot suggests that TPTB at Showcase don't think much of the show. I, on the other hand being just a TV watching peon, love it and am glad to hear it was renewed on Peacock (N/A Canada) for season 4. I hope it is picked up in Canada because I will watch.

pjimage-2-2.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

Bruce Campbell of The Evil Dead franchise will be appearing in the 4th season of A.P. Bio as 

Spoiler

John Griffin, the dead-beat dad of Jack Griffin, who wishes to reconnect with his son.

• Love 1

Finished binging season 4. Some episodes were uneven and there was way too much Paula Pell being wacky, but overall it was fantastic. For once the finale felt like a finale. I’ll miss this show.

• Love 5

I watched the whole series over the last few weeks, including season 4. It took me a while to get into it as the premise is just dumb. It took them almost a full season to acknowledge the AP test is what's important, not the class itself. I sort of felt better once they showed Jack could teach biology if he wanted to so the school wasn't dumb in hiring him. After that I just sort of went with it, almost like the kids in the class did. I liked how the show really only covered a few months in their time, even if it caused a few casting problems with the kids. Once all the kids each sort of had their own way of interacting with Jack it became really fun. None of the kids were mean or awful and they all participated in the silly revenge plots, if in their own way, so that was good to see.

But this show had one huge problem: it was good to even great for about 2/3rds of every episode, and then terrible for the other 1/3rd. Jack and the kids, the janitors, coach, and sometimes the principal and Helen were all worth watching, but the teachers were awful and unfunny nearly every episode and then never fixed it in 4 seasons. They tried adding Dave to the teachers' plots but that only made it worse since he was just a knock-off Jerry Gergich. They barely interacted with the main Jack story so I never understood what their role was.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Nellise said:

But this show had one huge problem: it was good to even great for about 2/3rds of every episode, and then terrible for the other 1/3rd. Jack and the kids, the janitors, coach, and sometimes the principal and Helen were all worth watching, but the teachers were awful and unfunny nearly every episode and then never fixed it in 4 seasons. They tried adding Dave to the teachers' plots but that only made it worse since he was just a knock-off Jerry Gergich. They barely interacted with the main Jack story so I never understood what their role was.

We've all been saying this since the beginning. I'm pretty sure that they were there since the network wanted some more experienced performers instead of just relying on their 2 (3?) stars and the young actors playing the students. They were featured more in the first season and then they've sort of been shoved in the background and the writers have never really figured out what to do with them.

• Love 2
On 9/12/2021 at 9:47 PM, wknt3 said:

We've all been saying this since the beginning. I'm pretty sure that they were there since the network wanted some more experienced performers instead of just relying on their 2 (3?) stars and the young actors playing the students. They were featured more in the first season and then they've sort of been shoved in the background and the writers have never really figured out what to do with them.

I'm watching season four at the moment, and the problem isn't going away. The episodes grind to a painful, unfunny, embarrassing halt every time those three teachers are on the screen. Patton Oswalt does the best he can with some pretty lame material, but the rest of them have no comic timing at all, and almost seem like they have different writers to the A-plots.

It's a shame, because they young actors are all really good. Particularly the guys playing Victor and Anthony and the girl playing Grace. They all have distinctly different personalities and quirks. And I'm one hundred percent sure I'll see a lot more of all these kids than I will of the adults, in future projects.

• Love 1