Type keyword(s) to search

Night Court - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

Very sad to hear about Markie Post.  She was great on Might Court.  That this came a few weeks after Charles Robinson passed away and Harry Anderson a few years before that, it's sad to realize so much of the Night Court cast is no longer with us.

I remember Post, Anderson and Robinson all appeared on 30 Rock a couple of years ago for a fictional TV reunion.  That's how I prefer to think of how Night Court ended.

• Love 3

Night Court had a multitude of riches when it came to the actors. Even those that only stayed a year like Lana, Flo, Billy and Paula worked.  To me the cast always gelled.  It’s sad to think half the cast is gone. And much too young in pretty much all their cases.

RIP Markie Post.  I didn’t believe it when I first saw it because of how close it was to Charles Robinson’s death.

Someone needs to wrap Larroquette, Warfield and Moll in bubble wrap.  

• Love 7
On 8/8/2021 at 2:22 PM, benteen said:

Very sad to hear about Markie Post.  She was great on Might Court.  That this came a few weeks after Charles Robinson passed away and Harry Anderson a few years before that, it's sad to realize so much of the Night Court cast is no longer with us.

I remember Post, Anderson and Robinson all appeared on 30 Rock a couple of years ago for a fictional TV reunion.  That's how I prefer to think of how Night Court ended.

I watched that episode a few days before her death. Weird to think they are all gone but at least, like Kenneth, I am happy that Harry/Christine finally got married.

Lost a lot of the cast/crew too soon. From Flo and Selma to Mr. Weege and now Markie Post. The heartening thing is seeing on social media just how many people loved Night Court. At the time, it was often in the shadows surrounded by Cheers, Cosby Show and a Different World. I loved her character Christine and only wished we got to see how she handled the whole Chuck/Di divorce:), Sad for her friends and family and that her baby granddaughter will never know her.

I'm feeling my age lately seeing all my childhood actors dying or going over to the dark side. 

• Love 8

The new show is a go. I'm excited because John Larroquette, one of my all-time favorite actors, will be back as Dan Fielding, my all-time favorite sitcom character (plus I do love Melissa Rauch). And it will apparently be on NBC, not Peacock (thank you, NBC). But the excitement is tempered with sadness because Markie Post, Harry Anderson, and Charlie Robinson can't be part of it. 

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 3

Markie Post had the sarcastic edge to her delivery that was the perfect foil to John Larroquette's character.  

I'm hoping the new show has a good back and forth banter between the various characters.  And while it was overshadowed at the time, I think that helped keep the quality in place.

• Love 2

I wish they kept Leon with Harry. The two got a long great together. 

I love Mac and Quan Li. They were a great couple. I really love Mac telling Quan Li why he was going back to school. So he could give her things like the ring she showed him in the paper a couple years ago that he tore out and had it all this time. Quan Li not wanting the ring but to keep the picture because the reason for it touched her so much. 

Quan Li is just hilarious in general "president of the machete club" 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I wish they kept Leon with Harry. The two got a long great together. 

I love Mac and Quan Li. They were a great couple. I really love Mac telling Quan Li why he was going back to school. So he could give her things like the ring she showed him in the paper a couple years ago that he tore out and had it all this time. Quan Li not wanting the ring but to keep the picture because the reason for it touched her so much. 

Quan Li is just hilarious in general "president of the machete club" 

I agree with everything you wrote.  Mac and Quan Li were adorable together and I wish a few more episodes had focused on them.  I also thought Harry and Leon had a great relationship but it's been so long since I watched it that I don't remember what happened to Leon.  Why did he end up leaving?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Rose Quartz said:

I agree with everything you wrote.  Mac and Quan Li were adorable together and I wish a few more episodes had focused on them.  I also thought Harry and Leon had a great relationship but it's been so long since I watched it that I don't remember what happened to Leon.  Why did he end up leaving?

Leon was supposed to be adopted.  Harry wanted to keep him but said he deserved 2 parents and a chance at a family.  He ran away from his adoptive parents. I think it was left at that but I’m not sure.

• Love 2

No, Leon came back the next season and Harry talked him into giving adoption a chance. So Leon being amenable to being adopted was the last we saw/heard about him.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ch1 said:

Leon was supposed to be adopted.  Harry wanted to keep him but said he deserved 2 parents and a chance at a family.  He ran away from his adoptive parents. I think it was left at that but I’m not sure.

Yeah, I think that's how I remember it too.  An episode ended with Leon running away and Harry running after him but I could never find any follow up after that.

4 hours ago, kariyaki said:

No, Leon came back the next season and Harry talked him into giving adoption a chance. So Leon being amenable to being adopted was the last we saw/heard about him.

Thanks!  That's at least a little more satisfying resolution than what I remembered.

• Love 1
On 8/9/2021 at 12:59 PM, ch1 said:

Night Court had a multitude of riches when it came to the actors. Even those that only stayed a year like Lana, Flo, Billy and Paula worked.  

I know I’m in the minority, but I actually preferred Billie to Christine. I know that Markie Post was their first choice and they only brought Ellen Foley in because Markie was contractually unavailable. I just thought Billie’s/Ellen’s comic sensibilities were more in line with the rest of the cast. Christine was more of a straight man.

But at least Shelley Hack didn’t wind up playing Christine, as initially planned.

CEE889FA-E220-441C-941A-918FE8877267.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Rose Quartz said:

So do I. They were so cute.

14 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Yeah, but it he was so great with Harry. It wish they stayed together.

9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

So do I. They were so cute.

Honestly Mac and Quan Li were my favorite couple - they were so sweet and funny together.  The show did a good job of developing their relationship.  It had the potential to get weird because Mac had only known her as a child in Vietnam before they finally met again as adults.  In hindsight I think it worked because Quan Li had so much agency.  She was the one who pursued Mac and made it clear that this wasn't just a misplaced childhood crush.  Even after they married she seemed to be the one who ran things and Mac was kept busy just trying to keep up with her.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Rose Quartz said:

Honestly Mac and Quan Li were my favorite couple - they were so sweet and funny together.  The show did a good job of developing their relationship.  It had the potential to get weird because Mac had only known her as a child in Vietnam before they finally met again as adults.  In hindsight I think it worked because Quan Li had so much agency.  She was the one who pursued Mac and made it clear that this wasn't just a misplaced childhood crush.  Even after they married she seemed to be the one who ran things and Mac was kept busy just trying to keep up with her.

Their mine too. It had the potential to be weird but it didn't. The writers managed to avoid that by having Quan Li pursue Mack but also Mack explaining that he didn't love her because he didn't know her. Quan Li always knew what she wanted and went for it. Yes she definitely ran things in the marriage but Mack also was always trying to find things to improve their life. He really did want more for Quan Li. I also like at the end when they are trying to come up money for a house. Mack doesn't want to do the underwear shoot and backs out. But after talking to Quan Li decides to do it for her. There's also the time where Mack has to take over Quan Li selling makeup. He does it. Even though he doesn't like the name Quan Li likes for their daughter. I like they compromise and make it her middle name. They did such a good job with the couple. Although I always wonder why they didn't have another kid. 

• Love 2
On 3/23/2022 at 3:55 PM, Egg McMuffin said:

I know I’m in the minority, but I actually preferred Billie to Christine. I know that Markie Post was their first choice and they only brought Ellen Foley in because Markie was contractually unavailable. I just thought Billie’s/Ellen’s comic sensibilities were more in line with the rest of the cast. Christine was more of a straight man.

But at least Shelley Hack didn’t wind up playing Christine, as initially planned.

CEE889FA-E220-441C-941A-918FE8877267.jpeg

I like both Billie and Christine. There were a lot of good episodes with Billie. My favorite is the Birthday Visitor when she and Harry go back to her place only to find it being robbed. I also liked Liz and wish she had been on more.

12 hours ago, greekmom said:

I'm hoping that in the first episode they stunt cast Brent Spiner and Annie O'Donnell replay Bob and June Wheeler.

That'll would be hilarious. They also need to address why Harry's daughter isn't named Mel. Boy or girl that would be his choice for a name after his beloved Mel Torme. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/15/2022 at 6:33 PM, andromeda331 said:

That'll would be hilarious. They also need to address why Harry's daughter isn't named Mel. Boy or girl that would be his choice for a name after his beloved Mel Torme. 

Yes. Judge Melanie "Mel" Stone is a missed opportunity. 

I'm still curious who the mother of Abby is supposed to be and when she was born. Melissa Rauch is 41 meaning she would have been born before the show even started. Rauch can definitely play younger but still, when was she born and who is the mother? He did have a love interest or two on the show it could have been. 

I'm curious what Dan's position is now. Has he moved up? Dan Fielding in the MeToo era would be interesting to navigate 

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

Any chance they could make Christine the mom?  I recently watched the first episode with Christine and Harry said to her “our children would be blond.”  It would be a cute call back.  

Thinking about it how is her name NOT Melanie?

• Love 1
(edited)

If they fudge the timeline or Rauch is playing much younger they could do that. Christine ended the show being elected to Congress and Harry decided to stay as a judge at the night court.

Like I said earlier, I consider the end between Harry and Christine to be their appearance on 30 Rock.

I do wonder if they will go with an original character otherwise both of Abby's parents will be gone. 

Both Christine and Mac had kids.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

If the character is the same age as the actress, it could be that Harry didn't know about her until a few years after she was born (he obviously didn't know about her during the run of the show). In that case, she would have been named by her mom, who presumably didn't have the Torme obsession that Harry did. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Her last name wouldn’t be Stone, if that were true. I was thinking more that her middle name might be Mel. Oftentimes, fathers get overruled on names with the mom getting to play the “I carried it for nine months, dibs on the first name” card.

• Love 1
On 5/20/2022 at 12:25 PM, benteen said:

Yes. Judge Melanie "Mel" Stone is a missed opportunity. 

I'm still curious who the mother of Abby is supposed to be and when she was born. Melissa Rauch is 41 meaning she would have been born before the show even started. Rauch can definitely play younger but still, when was she born and who is the mother? He did have a love interest or two on the show it could have been. 

I'm curious what Dan's position is now. Has he moved up? Dan Fielding in the MeToo era would be interesting to navigate 

It would have been awesome.

On 5/20/2022 at 3:18 PM, DXD526 said:

If the character is the same age as the actress, it could be that Harry didn't know about her until a few years after she was born (he obviously didn't know about her during the run of the show). In that case, she would have been named by her mom, who presumably didn't have the Torme obsession that Harry did. 

Probably, although it would have been funny if she was. Maybe they met at Mel Torme concert or fighting over who got to be president of the Mel Torme fan club. 

On 5/20/2022 at 4:17 PM, kariyaki said:

Her last name wouldn’t be Stone, if that were true. I was thinking more that her middle name might be Mel. Oftentimes, fathers get overruled on names with the mom getting to play the “I carried it for nine months, dibs on the first name” card.

Probably but I still think it would be great and funny if it was brought up. It would be so Harry to name or try to name his daughter Mel but was vetoed. Or at least have it as a middle name. It would be still really sweet. That's what Mac and Quan Le ended up doing because she loved Flicka after the story and Mac had clearly not been thrilled with that for a first name.

8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That's what Mac and Quan Le ended up doing because she loved Flicka after the story and Mac had clearly not been thrilled with that for a first name.

In that particular case, I’m sure Mac was able to explain to Quon Li that they might as well name their daughter Throw The Kickball At My Head Robinson if they named her Flicka. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, kariyaki said:

In that particular case, I’m sure Mac was able to explain to Quon Li that they might as well name their daughter Throw The Kickball At My Head Robinson if they named her Flicka. 

Unless she takes after her mother President of the Machete Club. 

LAFF either lost most of it's Night Court tapes or they gave up caring because of the Christmas movies starting Monday because they've been showing the same few episodes from the last seasons. I've seen Bull's and Wanda's wedding at least five times in the last month. Ditto with the last three episodes. I hope they find them when Christmas movies end.

• Love 1

I noticed that lately Laff is showing the same episodes. Every time I turn it on, it's like, Harry is teaching night school again?? Now they've started running Christmas movies in that time slot, and will be for the next month. Maybe by the time the holidays are over and they're back to their regular schedule, they'll have found the 'missing' NC seasons. 

I must say, though, I can't get enough of Connubial Fusion! That plotline cracks me up every time. The scene where a bunch of people from a showing of the film, all dressed in costume, is brought into the court room, is one of my favorites of the series. Especially the woman dressed like Christine, who starts imitating her! Still funny after 30 years! 

• Love 1
On 11/29/2022 at 10:46 AM, DXD526 said:

I noticed that lately Laff is showing the same episodes. Every time I turn it on, it's like, Harry is teaching night school again?? Now they've started running Christmas movies in that time slot, and will be for the next month. Maybe by the time the holidays are over and they're back to their regular schedule, they'll have found the 'missing' NC seasons. 

I must say, though, I can't get enough of Connubial Fusion! That plotline cracks me up every time. The scene where a bunch of people from a showing of the film, all dressed in costume, is brought into the court room, is one of my favorites of the series. Especially the woman dressed like Christine, who starts imitating her! Still funny after 30 years! 

i hope they find them too. I'm really tired of the same episodes over and over. I do like the Connubial Fusion all thought I do feel bad for Bull and Wanda Mac messed up their wedding video. I love Bull correcting the other Bull on his line.

• Love 1

I’m working my way through the original run Amazon Prime, just started season 5. I didn’t appreciate this show as a kid, lol. The season 4 episodes “Dan’s Operation” were really good and emotional in a way I didn’t expect. Any other recommendations for what they used to call “a very special episode”? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Claire85 said:

I’m working my way through the original run Amazon Prime, just started season 5. I didn’t appreciate this show as a kid, lol. The season 4 episodes “Dan’s Operation” were really good and emotional in a way I didn’t expect. Any other recommendations for what they used to call “a very special episode”? 

The "very special episodes" are OK but my favorite episodes were always the ones where they had to rush through a bunch of cases.  Those are the funniest. The two I remember are the one with the guy who made Harry a bet he couldn't get all the cases done by the end of the night and the other one was when those not processed by the end of the night are let go.  I think there might have been others but those two I remember.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
33 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

The "very special episodes" are OK but my favorite episodes were always the ones where they had to rush through a bunch of cases.  Those are the funniest. The two I remember are the one with the guy who made Harry a bet he couldn't get all the cases done by the end of the night and the other one was when those not processed by the end of the night are let go.  I think there might have been others but those two I remember.

Those are the Day in the Life episodes and they really were some of the best.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Claire85 said:

I just finished the episode with the “raw tonnage” conviction contest. They are really funny, since they can cram so many bizarre cases into one episode. 

You are making me want to do a re watch.  LOL  I didn't really care for the first couple seasons. There were so many cast changes but once they found the right cast it really clicked.

• Like 1
On 1/26/2023 at 1:51 PM, bluegirl147 said:

Those are my favorite too. They are all so funny. I love the Pope and Wiley E. Coyote showing up. 

Just finished my binge of the original run. I remembered Dan’s dream about being sued by all the women once I saw it again. I had remembered him as a little more reformed, though, not quite as sleazy as he remained until the end. And following Christine to DC came out of nowhere. I think Harry should have taken the Columbia job, but understand why he stayed at Night Court after the case with the songwriters. Bull being beamed up by aliens was meh. 

• Like 1

I also just finished bingeing all 9 seasons because I wanted to be able to catch any references in the new series. I didn’t think Mac and Quon Le were such a great couple. She was manipulative (guilt trips), pushy, and bossy, and loved throwing around money they didn’t have and expecting Mac to cover it. But what really made me hate her was that poker game at Roz’s where she was a sore loser badmouthing the other women, throwing Mac under the bus by telling them all these nasty things he’d supposedly said about them. I have no idea what Mac saw in her and he deserved a lot better.

One thing I’d forgotten after all these years was how Harry was always forcing everyone else to do what he wanted when they were on their own time. I get that this was really just a plot device for the writers to come up with funny situations outside the courtroom. But it was odd that Harry was supposed to be such a fair judge and yet treated his employees so unfairly. (And why all the back and forth with Christine? They end one season with a big kiss, then open the next with Harry avoiding Christine like the plague and finally both admitting they just want to remain friends. What??)

I think my favorite episodes were the ones where Dan was stuck in Alaska.

9 hours ago, Claire85 said:

Bull being beamed up by aliens was meh. 

Seemed fitting for him, but all I could think was “But what about Wanda???”

On 2/2/2023 at 2:40 PM, Claire85 said:

Just finished my binge of the original run. I remembered Dan’s dream about being sued by all the women once I saw it again. I had remembered him as a little more reformed, though, not quite as sleazy as he remained until the end. And following Christine to DC came out of nowhere. I think Harry should have taken the Columbia job, but understand why he stayed at Night Court after the case with the songwriters. Bull being beamed up by aliens was meh. 

It really did. I have mixed feelings about Harry turning down Columbia but at the same time I'm glad he stayed at Night Court. It would be him and Roz there until the end. Mac for a few more years until he took off for his film career. Everyone else was would be gone. Christine's end is really the only one that I really liked. I could see her going off to Congress. She really couldn't make it as a judge because she really liked helping people and choosing sides. I think she'd make a great Congresswoman and have a long career in politics. I like that her ending wasn't a wedding but going on to bigger and better things. Mac quiting law school to go film school was okay. I didn't like what he did to Bull's wedding. Bull being beamed up by aliens was just weird and they never mentioned Wanda. They didn't do anything with Roz.   

• Like 1

Starting today, the Decades network (which is now called Catchy Comedy, for some presumably terrible reason) is airing two episodes a day of the original series at 6 PM Pacific/9 PM Eastern, Monday through Friday. Season 1, episodes 1 and 2 are airing tonight.

It looks they're also doing a marathon of early episodes this weekend.

• Like 2

I'm watching the marathon and do not remember the character of Charlie, who replaced Lana. It seemed like they were setting her up to be a permanent cast member but I guess it didn't work out. I'm glad since Mac was a better fit with that cast.

• Like 1

And now we're into the Billie era. Ellen Foley was good for New York authenticity but I'm stlil not a fan of the character. But John Larroquette's physical comedy skills are being played up more and Selma Diamond is a riot.

• Like 1
On 4/6/2023 at 7:34 AM, januaryman said:

And now we're into the Billie era. Ellen Foley was good for New York authenticity but I'm stlil not a fan of the character. But John Larroquette's physical comedy skills are being played up more and Selma Diamond is a riot.

I liked Billie especially in the Birthday Visitor and that she has a New York accent. I love Selma. She's so hilarious and awesome.