Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E00: Looking for Love

• Start Topic

The Philly casting calls found (am convinced most were culled from dating sites like match.com) and production ground up hundreds of hopefuls and spit out 4 couples for Season 8... So sharpen your wit, pull on your snarky pants and prepare to see endless images of a cracked bell, the upright arms of a fictional boxer as Philly is represented by 4 couples.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 3

Halfway in and I hate every person shown so far. 

And the “maybe a doctor someday” guy? Wants a wife who works all day and then will come home and cook for him? Fork off. Hire a maid and stay single, a-hole. 

ETA:  Also, poor nymphomaniac guy. I felt bad for him.

another ETA:  Dr. Pepper, Having lots of toilet paper doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with you. What is wrong with *you*, you little troll?

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, gonecrackers said:

Tonight is what DVRs are made for - no way can I do 3 straight hours of this show.

I only set it to record the first hour because I thought that's all there was - when I realized there are two more I thought "There are three hours of this shit?"

The mama's boy is cute but his enmeshment with his mother is creeping me out a little.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, LilaFowler said:

The "queen" girl is going to be trouble. She's not going to be happy being paired with a guy who is still in school and lives with grandma.

What sane person would even consider matching them? No way.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, LilaFowler said:

The "queen" girl is going to be trouble. She's not going to be happy being paired with a guy who is still in school and lives with grandma.

100% drama for TV match. That is ridiculous.

They really picked the one who gets his beard cut for a living?

Ha - great minds, @Stinamaia! He doesn't seem to have a great relationship with money - he said he started doing odd jobs because he bought a car he couldn't afford.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 8

The one who gets his beard cut for a living was matched with the one whose parents got divorced just last year, right? That doesn't strike me as a good match - she may be craving stability if she feels like her foundation was rocked by the divorce, and he doesn't seem particularly stable.

• Love 8

They need to stop matching these unemployed people, period. No one wants to be handcuffed to that.

8 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Good riddance to Dorian and his overly enmeshed mother.

Dislike for no good reason: Stephanie

She reminds me of Amber (Dallas).

• Love 11

Out of 55,000 people that applied (or what ever they said), these are the best they could pick??

Dr. Jessica should not be on the this show anymore now that she is with 13 year younger divorced Jon (previously married to Molly).

• Love 4

Why do they bother doing bios and interviews with applicants who haven't been selected to do the show, ridiculous waste of time, and just adds to the confusion for viewers trying to figure out who's who.

• Love 5

I thought Dr Pepper probably felt a bit awkward when the Mom and son had a height requirement of 5'6" ~  about a foot taller than  she is!

Oh no, stalemate drama......trouble is they are throwing out these couples names and I have no clue who they are even talking about and could care less.  

Edited by endure
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, Porkchop said:

16 hours ago, OnTime said:

Out of 55,000 people that applied (or what ever they said), these are the best they could pick??

Dr. Jessica should not be on the this show anymore now that she is with 13 year younger divorced Jon (previously married to Molly).

I listened to the 55,000 and I think that is over the whole series, like all the seasons. I doubt 55k applied in Philly. Just another way to make these 200 people feel special. I wonder how many of the applications are fakes, jokes or people just wanting to be on TV for a minute or see what the show is like. I can see people being drunk and signing up a friend as a joke or people being  curious about how it is filmed and signing up. 

18 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

She reminds me of Amber (Dallas).

Yes, it seems like the reason for AJ was he was so outgoing and peppy (or good for TV). It is like they wanted the opposite of Jon. they found Stephanie , like Amber 35 and wanting marriage asap and family. They did not want another Jon so they cast my excitement. I think This might go the opposite way,as much as Stephanie wants to settle down, AJ might be too much for her. 

Edited by silverspoons

Having 4 couples strikes me as insurance so that when one of the couples inevitably wants to throw in the towel and doesn't want to continue beating a dead horse, they still have 3 couples left and don't have to bribe them to stay.

12 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

I was all with Jessica on wanting to eliminate them.  Pastor Cal has no clue, as usual, not that she has much more of a clue.

Then again, beardo is problematic, as is the 37 year old guy, who strikes me as too picky and skittish about commitment.

At least they got rid of the obvious player with an abnormal mother attachment.  I was yelling at the TV until that happened.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

At least they got rid of the obvious player with an abnormal mother attachment.

He was cute, too, but yikes. The way Mom was sitting next to him with her hand on his arm gave me the creeps.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

14 hours ago, Soup333 said:

What sane person would even consider matching them? No way.

As a woman of color, I pretty much think they say, “He’s black and she’s black, so perfect match made in heaven !”, though I might be giving them too much credit.

• Love 9

Considering the lack of success most of the past matches have had, either hope springs eternal, or your new agent thinks you need TV exposure. I find it hard to believe that 55,000 people had any desire to go through this crap! I’m not even sure if I can watch it again.

• Love 3

Can someone explain to me if “pay me money to cut my beard guy” actually does that on top of being a Civil Engineer? If he is not working as an engineer then they need to change his job title on the show to “Internet ass monkey for hire”.

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Can someone explain to me if “pay me money to cut my beard guy” actually does that on top of being a Civil Engineer? If he is not working as an engineer then they need to change his job title on the show to “Internet ass monkey for hire”.

Word. There's a big difference between "I work full-time as a civil engineer, bought a car I couldn't afford, and supplement my income with other random jobs" and "I eke out a living getting my beard cut and running speed dating events." If his primary source of income is a full-time engineering job and he just found he needed a side hustle or two, they should call him an engineer.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, silverspoons said:

Yes, it seems like the reason for AJ was he was so outgoing and peppy (or good for TV). It is like they wanted the opposite of Jon. they found Stephanie , like Amber 35 and wanting marriage asap and family. They did not want another Jon so they cast my excitement. I think This might go the opposite way,as much as Stephanie wants to settle down, AJ might be too much for her. 

I think Stephanie is "35" and AJ is "straight".

• Love 9

I love Philly and expected more of its "brave couples".  Yikes.  Holy crap with these reasons for getting married.  Tired of eating alone, according to the goofy guy?  My guy woke up one day and realized he was Jewish so I was out, and I haven't gone out since?  My guy woke up one day and realized he didn't want kids, after five years, so we split?  Putting the bossy broad with an introvert always works out well... I have no idea who's who yet but this ought to be an adventure.

• Love 6

I only just finished this one; some random thoughts:

I'm concerned about anyone who says they want marriage to "complete them".

The participants looking up contemplatively, usually drinking wine... puleeze show, enough of that.

Also enough with the bras & thongs (snore). I want these women to plant different things for nosy Pepper to find & ponder about, like granny panties & whips.

The whole staged argument between Cal & "Dr." Trauma, then Pepper's pep talk & ending up with four couples is a staged set up; one couple is probably going to implode early.

ETA: Cal with, "loquacious", & Pepper repeating - if they want me to think they're smart it's not working.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, qtpye said:

As a woman of color, I pretty much think they say, “He’s black and she’s black, so perfect match made in heaven !”, though I might be giving them too much credit.

Yup. That’s the pattern the experts have used for 8 seasons. Ugh.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Considering the lack of success most of the past matches have had, either hope springs eternal, or your new agent thinks you need TV exposure. I find it hard to believe that 55,000 people had any desire to go through this crap! I’m not even sure if I can watch it again.

So very true yet they make a point of touting and boasting about their recent success stories including babies and pregnancies 🙄

• Love 3

So how much will it cost me for Luke to shave off that monstrosity? I know it's too late because the show's already been filmed but I find about 99% of beards repulsive and that dislike increases the bigger/bushier they are. I may end up having to FF through his and Kate's storyline.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, Scout Finch said:

So how much will it cost me for Luke to shave off that monstrosity? I know it's too late because the show's already been filmed but I find about 99% of beards repulsive and that dislike increases the bigger/bushier they are. I may end up having to FF through his and Kate's storyline.

Oh me too.  I find them so dirty looking.  I always wonder where they have been...and what's growing in them.  😝!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

4 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Oh me too.  I find them so dirty looking.  I always wonder where they have been...and what's growing in them.  😝!

Same. And his "repulsive" personality & attitude are making him even more gross to me.

After the way he treated Kate at the reception I would've loved for her to say she was relieved he was sleeping on the couch.

• Love 4

I saw a scene in KODI in which there were FIVE potential couples...  I thought four couples were going to be very good odds for 50% remaining married, but I don't expect any of these four couples to remain. 

• Love 1