Type keyword(s) to search

Proven Innocent - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Did they say if she went to min or max prison? 

They don’t send murderers to minimum security.   Plus it was a high profile case.  She got sent to max.  Probably with ALOT of time.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:01 AM, wendyg said:

eel2178: Without trying hard...for dramas, THE GOOD WIFE, THE GOOD FIGHT, MAD MEN....for comedies, MOM, THE GOOD PLACE, SUPERSTORE, YOU'RE THE WORST...

The only show you mentioned that I've ever watched is Mom, and I do like those characters. However, my comment was directed towards dramas. I've never liked the female leads in any CIS, any NCIS, Rizzoli & Isles, Walker, Texas Ranger, Manifest, New Amsterdam, The Fall, Numbers, new Hawaii 5-O, new Magnum PI, any Criminal Minds, JAG, Private Eyes, Castle.

Edited by eel2178
added more to list

I've never watched any of those shows. But I thought in the early years of THE GOOD WIFE both Julianna Margulies and Christine Baranaski played compelling female characters, and Baranski has continued in THE GOOD FIGHT, along with Cush Jumbo. Also, Candice Bergen springs to mind in BOSTON LEGAL (though I always really thought of that as a comedy). Glenn Close in at least the first season or two of DAMAGES.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, wendyg said:

I've never watched any of those shows. But I thought in the early years of THE GOOD WIFE both Julianna Margulies and Christine Baranaski played compelling female characters, and Baranski has continued in THE GOOD FIGHT, along with Cush Jumbo. Also, Candice Bergen springs to mind in BOSTON LEGAL (though I always really thought of that as a comedy). Glenn Close in at least the first season or two of DAMAGES.

Again, I've never watched any of those shows. Either you and I have completely different watching schedules or completely different taste. However, I did think of one more recent than Hunter (although still not recent) where I liked the female leads: Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

• Useful 1

S01.E03 Minor Confession

Easy's church recruits the team to retry the case of William Hurston, a man convicted of murder at the age of 14 due to a coerced confession. Meanwhile, Bellows retaliates against Madeline using Rosemary's family. The case resonates with Easy as he tries to connect with his teenage son, Michael, and Madeline finds a new lead in the investigation of Rosemary's death.

• Love 1

Kelsey Grammar is really playing a sleazebag in this.

So the focus of the "unsolved murder" now goes to Levi.

This show is going to have more twists and turns than a road map.

• Love 2

I'm also one of the people who find Madeline too damn strident, & I think it's annoying how she turns every case into how she felt or what happened to her. Surprisingly though, that's not what bugged me the most this episode. I don't know if anyone associated with this show has ever heard of a little movement called #metoo, but they might want to spend a little time checking it out so that we don't get more plot points where the partners ask the young girl to date a man to get information from him. I don't want to see any more "take one for the team" moments & if I was on Twitter, I would be tweeting that out all over the place.

• Love 9
34 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

If this series weak after weak  (and yes I spelled it that way on purpose) just has a continuation of over overturned cases, Madeline making everything about her, and non stop bitching about the legal system, then this series won;t last long.

ITA.  The most glaring thing I dislike is the flashbacks to Madeline's trial/dilemma whenever KG speaks in Court.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I don’t care what anyone else says I like this show.   Madeline is exactly the kind of protagonist I like.  And Kelsey Gramner has the right amount of genuine consern for victims of crimes and narcissism.  I am honestly surprised that people don’t like this show but I will keep my comments to myself because I assume this board is going to be hate watchers so I am talking out.

• Love 8

I don't waste time "hate-watching."  I'm non-watching.  I gave it (2) episodes and that was enough to make my decision.  The only times I come here are when I receive Notifications that there are comments on this particular forum.  Not very often.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

And Kelsey Gramner has the right amount of genuine consern for victims of crimes and narcissism.

The only concerns that Gore Bellows (Kelsey Grammer) has, is for Gore Bellows.  As for narcissism, it is all his and his run at the governor's seat.

As previously mentioned he is a sleazeball.

I'm mostly "meh" on this show, but that doesn't mean I'm hate-watching. I recognize so many of these actors from other shows/movies so that's enough for me to add it to the dvr and play out the whole non-22 episode season. Other shows I really enjoy I found to be shaky in the beginning so I almost always give shows quite a bit of time to settle into what they're really going to be. (The Office, Parks and Rec, Superstore.) So I can understand how others don't like the Madeline character, but are still watching.

I wish the show was more clear to the average viewer what the timeline of these hearings and case proceedings are. I don't need it to be as explicit as the Law & Order "doink doink" date-stamps, but it always feels like one day, a case is remanded back to court for retrial or an appeal is granted or whatever, and then very soon after, the new trial happens and the team has very, very little time to find their evidence. That isn't how it happens IRL, no? I get that part of the point is the initial defense in the original case was usually quite poor so there's plenty of other evidence that was never pursued or avenues to counter the prosecution that were never pursued, but looking for evidence in these retrials/appeals is essentially a cold case investigation after so many years; it can't be that easy or that fast to turn up something. Unless you're Vincent Kartheiser!

Speaking of gathering info/evidence, I often just go with the hand-waiving of how people got things on shows, but how did the podcaster girl (Violet? ...) get the passenger info for all flights between Chicago and the Bay Area from over 15 years earlier? It's not an actual case with subpoenas and warrants. Is she a hacker and that's never been discussed, or I didn't hear it? Did she hack ALL of the airlines' records? Even the ones that are no longer in operation now?

Episode 3 was a step up from episode 2 in that they at least pronounced characters' names consistently. I was so distracted by the variations in the pronunciation of "Tamara" in the stabbing murder episode. I haven't seen anything like that since Arrow, when some characters pronounced "Ra's al Ghul" one way while others pronounced it differently, even when they were talking to each other. Except this was worse because the same character would at times say "Tam-er-uh" and other times say "Tah-mar-uh."

They're hinting that reporter dude is being nagged by his conscience, but I don't know. Honestly, I think a much better, more fruitful story for him is if Madeline turns him onto investigating the widespread, long-term corruption in the prosecution of Illinois criminal cases vs. believing she is guilty of killing Rosemary and trying to trick her into some kind of admission. I feel like that kind of story would give him a lot more prestige and clout than the singular, though notorious, case would.

Ultimately what I'd like to see (this will not happen) is the reveal that Madeline really did kill Rosemary, and in a supreme effort to protect herself from that truth, she took on an all-consuming life of denial, which included the manifestation of becoming a defense attorney for the wrongfully accused like herself (except not like herself), and THAT'S actually what's been subconsciously motivating her all this time, even though on the surface, everyone thinks it's her hatred of the system's flaws and DA Frasier Crane.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If this series weak after weak  (and yes I spelled it that way on purpose) just has a continuation of over overturned cases, Madeline making everything about her, and non stop bitching about the legal system, then this series won't last long.

That's what I thought about Bull (which I gave up on after 9 episodes), but it still seems to be surviving.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

I don't waste time "hate-watching."  I'm non-watching.  I gave it (2) episodes and that was enough to make my decision.  The only times I come here are when I receive Notifications that there are comments on this particular forum.  Not very often.

I was going to hate watch but then I forgot to record it  (not worth setting a series recording) and it's also not worth watching if I can't fast forward through the commercials via DVR.  That tells me all I need to know.  I'd check back in to see who killed Rosemary as there is a promise to wrap up this case in the first season but I'm afraid of getting screwed due to their incompetence.

5 hours ago, eel2178 said:

That's what I thought about Bull (which I gave up on after 9 episodes), but it still seems to be surviving.

Ha. So many bad show survive and good ones get cancelled.  The issue for this show is ratings.  Really bad ratings.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I was going to hate watch but then I forgot to record it  (not worth setting a series recording) and it's also not worth watching if I can't fast forward through the commercials via DVR. 

They have been re-running episodes on Saturday nights. It is delayed by one week, so if they continue to do so, you can see last night's episode next Saturday.

Edited by eel2178
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Ha. So many bad show survive and good ones get cancelled.  The issue for this show is ratings.  Really bad ratings.

They really brought that on themselves with the Friday night time slot. I'm sure the repeats on Saturdays is to try to boost the ratings some; however, airing it twice on the two nights of the week that have the lowest number of viewers isn't likely to do much.

I like this show and I like Madeline.  I know alot of people don't but I like that she is so angry but still not magic.  She isn't going to have all the answers or even straight up win all her cases.  I liked this last episode mainly because it dug more into her life and the fact that she actually had one even in prison which included falling in love. Which is kind of beautiful and sad in a way because she lost that love when she got out and the reporter guy is using her.   

• Love 5
On 3/3/2019 at 11:38 AM, Irlandesa said:

The only reason I'm still watching is because there's nothing else on Friday nights. They move it to another night & I'll probably stop watching..

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

Whose photo was it that Bellows burned?

I thought it was a pic of Rosemary Lynch played by Casey Tutton. Anyone else???

tutton.jpeg

vlcsnap-00008.jpg

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Madeline had and intimate relationship in prison, I don't think that is a big deal.  It does make me wonder if she will try to get her girlfriend out of prison.

I do wonder what is going on in the head of Madeline's boyfriend.  He is definitely up to something, far more than what we have already been shown.

I thought the same thing when I saw her with her prison GF. I'm waiting now for her to request/apply for conjugal visits. I wouldn't call the bearded reporter her boyfriend. He's more like a sleazy hookup, and certainly up to something.

The Gore stuff is really becoming overbearing and we're only into episode four.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

They need to start going in a different direction in this series or at least tone it down. I feel like I am getting preached/lectured to on a weekly basis.  I am not a child.   It is lazy writing. They also need to get rid of the podcast/radio show part of the show because it is nothing more than a regurgitation of what Madeline has already said.  It is overkill.

I don't mind the podcast - it reminds me of something, movie or TV show I can't remember it's like a hazy "this is familiar/was used before" thing, maybe that's why I don't mind it.

I'll start by saying I actually like this show, I agree with @Chaos Theory, I"m enjoying it week to week and there are more characters I like than don't like even the nasty ones.  Where I agree with you is the different direction or tone down - I do think it'll come and we're only on episode 4 so it's probably too soon but at some point they have to do a case where Maddie is right but no matter what she does she loses anyway or (even better) one where she goes all out to prove the person should be released and the person was playing her and has been guilty all along.  I think the writers are aware that shake ups and balances are needed and they can't maintain a scenario of we take on case, we win case, person goes free week after week.  There's enough story there though that I'm more than willing to give it time and can, so far, see the potential.

If I had one complaint I'd say Heather is either written as or acted as very over the top but even then I'm still not sure if that's an accidental or purposeful thing - accidental because she's written or acted badly or purposeful because her "the lady doth protest too much" persona is to lead us, rightly or wrongly, to think Heather is involved in Rosemary's murder in some way.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I don't mind the podcast - it reminds me of something, movie or TV show I can't remember it's like a hazy "this is familiar/was used before" thing, maybe that's why I don't mind it.

I'll start by saying I actually like this show, I agree with @Chaos Theory, I"m enjoying it week to week and there are more characters I like than don't like even the nasty ones.  Where I agree with you is the different direction or tone down - I do think it'll come and we're only on episode 4 so it's probably too soon but at some point they have to do a case where Maddie is right but no matter what she does she loses anyway or (even better) one where she goes all out to prove the person should be released and the person was playing her and has been guilty all along.  I think the writers are aware that shake ups and balances are needed and they can't maintain a scenario of we take on case, we win case, person goes free week after week.  There's enough story there though that I'm more than willing to give it time and can, so far, see the potential.

If I had one complaint I'd say Heather is either written as or acted as very over the top but even then I'm still not sure if that's an accidental or purposeful thing - accidental because she's written or acted badly or purposeful because her "the lady doth protest too much" persona is to lead us, rightly or wrongly, to think Heather is involved in Rosemary's murder in some way.

Right now they are only on episode four.  If Madeline loses every case and was a shitty lawyer what would be the point of her or Easy for that matter?  A guilty person she gets off or an innocent person she can’t needs to be deep in the second half of the season or even season two .  Right now the show is building on how much of a loss Madeline being in prison for ten years was for the world and that only works if she wins.  

• Love 2

They probably lose cases but those are not the ones we are going to see. Easy did say they win some and lose some to William the guy they defended last week. 

She hasn't tried to get her girlfriend out in 7 years, so the gf is probably guilty of her crime. They are trying to get the wrongfully convicted out of prison, not the guilty ones like Bellows and Bodie's cop girlfriend believe. I do think that sometimes cops and prosecutors become so blinded by thinking one suspect  is guilty of the crime that they don't even consider others, they pin everything on that one. Sometimes to close the case quickly and sometimes because the evidence does point to them. When they also ignore that the evidence most often points to others as well if they looked harder. 

• Love 2
On 2/18/2019 at 4:23 PM, icemiser69 said:

The best thing going for it is that it airs on Friday nights on Fox.  The ratings shouldn't have to be that great to keep it on the air.

It'll definitely air all its episodes this season, but it doesn't have a shot in hell for next season. Fox is supposed to get Friday night wrestling next season, so that takes out a whole night for original programming. 

The conservative judge was so over-the-top cartoonish in his pro-life stance. And I say that as a diehard pro-choicer. If he really wanted to ensure she stayed in prison, he would have kept his mouth shut on the bench because all he did was build a case for her to stay she did not receive a fair trial.

I'm so over how Madeline has to relate every case to her experience of being wrongfully imprisoned. I know it's only been four episodes and the writers are still trying to ensure everyone understands the premise, but this is just a horribly written show. I hate that there is enough to pull me in each week, but whenever I actually watch the episode, I don't understand why I keep coming back. Damn overarching mysteries that pull me back for more. 

1 hour ago, AmandaPanda said:

The conservative judge was so over-the-top cartoonish in his pro-life stance. And I say that as a diehard pro-choicer. If he really wanted to ensure she stayed in prison, he would have kept his mouth shut on the bench because all he did was build a case for her to stay she did not receive a fair trial.

Exactly. In the final ruling, he strongly implied that not getting prenatal care is a criminal act. That would leave the case wide open for appeal.

The guy Madeline is dating is a reporter who trying to get information on her. To what end, we don't know yet, but I got the impression that he was looking for dirt. I'm wondering if seeing her murder board on Rosemary's case will bring him over to her side.

I felt sorry for Bodie with his fuck buddy. He has strong feelings for her, and she's not having it. He's just hurting himself by seeing her.

I was glad to see that Madeline had an SO while she was in prison. I felt like that scene, along with the one with Rosemary's father, added some more dimension to her character.

• Love 1
On 3/2/2019 at 5:30 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I don’t care what anyone else says I like this show.   Madeline is exactly the kind of protagonist I like.  And Kelsey Gramner has the right amount of genuine consern for victims of crimes and narcissism.  I am honestly surprised that people don’t like this show but I will keep my comments to myself because I assume this board is going to be hate watchers so I am talking out.

I absolutely love the show. I'm really surprised at how many don't like it. 

• Love 1
On 3/9/2019 at 11:57 PM, mrsbagnet said:

The guy Madeline is dating is a reporter who trying to get information on her. To what end, we don't know yet, but I got the impression that he was looking for dirt.

His assignment is to find proof that she actually murdered Rosemary.  I got the impression he did not want to do this.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:57 PM, mrsbagnet said:

Exactly. In the final ruling, he strongly implied that not getting prenatal care is a criminal act. That would leave the case wide open for appeal.

The guy Madeline is dating is a reporter who trying to get information on her. To what end, we don't know yet, but I got the impression that he was looking for dirt. I'm wondering if seeing her murder board on Rosemary's case will bring him over to her side.

The murder board should at least tell him she did not actually kill Rosemary. I wouldn't think someone who actually committed murder would set up a wall of evidence about that murder.

But that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't going to damage her somehow.

1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

The murder board should at least tell him she did not actually kill Rosemary. I wouldn't think someone who actually committed murder would set up a wall of evidence about that murder.

But that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't going to damage her somehow.

That murder board needs to go in a back room. On Life, the guy had his murder board well hidden. Plus a friend took it down before the police searched the house.

S01:E05: Cross to Bear

When a white supremacist begs the Injustice Defense Group to help him overturn his wrongful conviction, the team clashes over whether they should take his case. Despite the team's objections, Madeline is determined to prove his innocence. Bellows approaches an ethical crossroad in his race and must make a campaign-changing decision. Meanwhile, Levi continues to impulsively investigate who framed him for Rosemary's death.

That episode was pretty weird in tone. The "innocent" guy was barely involved in a trial to free him. He was apparently not guilty, but he was maybe reformed, maybe not. Who knows? He had 3 scenes. And why the hell was that guy dressed up like a ninja in the office?

I think they're gradually increasing Kelsey Grammer's role because he's the real draw of the show.

• Love 2
On 3/2/2019 at 6:02 PM, HaaCHOO said:

You can unfollow the show so you no longer get notifications.

I don't think it was weird the client wasn't really that important, he was a means to an end to catch the dirty cop so they could help their other cases. Now the reporter storyline is weird, because I don't know what we are supposed to see with that. Every time he leaves her place she runs to her make out with her prison girlfriend. Since the fourth potential Rosemary killer offed himself are we supposed to take that has he's not her killer. Also Rosemary seemed to have a very interesting life since she has so many potential killers. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I don't think it was weird the client wasn't really that important, he was a means to an end to catch the dirty cop so they could help their other cases. Now the reporter storyline is weird, because I don't know what we are supposed to see with that. Every time he leaves her place she runs to her make out with her prison girlfriend. Since the fourth potential Rosemary killer offed himself are we supposed to take that has he's not her killer. Also Rosemary seemed to have a very interesting life since she has so many potential killers. 

The problem is that this group is not a "means to an end" crowd. Groups like the Innocence Project are about matters of law, they don't take a case based on the morality of a convict. The Proven Innocent team seem to prefer that the client is not guilty of the crime and better yet, generally innocent of any wrongdoing. Ideally, we'll see more cases where the client is guilty but was let off on legal grounds.

The Rosemary murder reminds me so much of Rectify. In some ways, it was the weakest part of the show because the real point was how Daniel moved on from a 20 year sentence. Still, they tied up the murder story in a tidy bow in the last episode and Daniel was innocent.

• Love 1

Just tried the first episode and gave up. I might try to finish it later.

When Gore came to court and admitted he was wrong, I had hope that he would be a well written character. Sadly, that doesn’t seem to be the case.

As the episode went on, I felt like Madeline was just his opposite. The idea of the show intrigued me, but by making it about her revenge on Gore, I feel like she would be willing to help guilty people just to humiliate him.

When she said that the time she was prosecuted was her first time drinking, I rolled my eyes. Possible, sure, but too much with all the other anvils the show is dropping. Then she made a comment about people being more than a profile. I think the writers need to reread that line a few more times, then fix their characters.

The podcast woman bothers me. I'm giving this one more episode to see the aftermath of them learning about that guy killing himself, but then I think I will be done.

The opening courtroom scene was so ridiculous. In that scene and Madeline's scene with Toby, you could tell that the lead was acting, if you know what I mean.

On 3/18/2019 at 12:37 AM, ketose said:

The problem is that this group is not a "means to an end" crowd. Groups like the Innocence Project are about matters of law, they don't take a case based on the morality of a convict. The Proven Innocent team seem to prefer that the client is not guilty of the crime and better yet, generally innocent of any wrongdoing. Ideally, we'll see more cases where the client is guilty but was let off on legal grounds.

The Rosemary murder reminds me so much of Rectify. In some ways, it was the weakest part of the show because the real point was how Daniel moved on from a 20 year sentence. Still, they tied up the murder story in a tidy bow in the last episode and Daniel was innocent.

That’s the whole point of the racist guy.  Bellows wanted to deal him out to make himself look good so it wouldn’t look like he was making a deal with a White supremacist.  Madeline got to the point where she was willing to deal to get him out of prison.   Easy wouldn’t go for it because the guy was innocent of the actual crime and he felt it was wrong to say otherwise.   I thought it was all a good moment to show who these people are.   Bellows says he cares but is more interested in his image then actual guilt or innocence.  Madeline has been to prison so she would be more willing to make back room deals to get innocenct people out.  Easy still believes in the system and even if it fails the first time The Innocent Project is there to correct it but only if it works honestly and without backroom deals.

Edited by Chaos Theory
I finally read over my post and needed to clarify
  • Love 2

S01.E06:  A Cinderhella Story

The Injustice Defense Group takes on the case of a girl convicted for the murder of her mother. Meanwhile, Madeline is trapped in a whirlwind of drama, trying to stop Bellows, maintaining her relationship with Dylan, while simultaneously finding out about a shocking piece of news about a former classmate.

Edited by preeya

So, the first confirmation of them getting a guilty client off. It had to happen sooner or later. I knew there was something off about that professor guy, I'm surprised they all fell for it.

Madeline went to high school with some real assholes.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

So, the first confirmation of them getting a guilty client off. It had to happen sooner or later. I knew there was something off about that professor guy, I'm surprised they all fell for it.

Right there with you KD.  I didn't see him being involved with the daughter but I suspected he was a bad guy.

Can't wait until they expose the bitch that made the speech at the funeral. I can't take much more of her.

• Love 1

UGH. I absolutely hated Jeffrey Nordling when he played Brad Maitland on Nashville, so seeing him turn up on this show as another bad guy (don't remember his name) is not encouraging me to continue to watch.

3 hours ago, preeya said:

Can't wait until they expose the bitch that made the speech at the funeral. I can't take much more of her.

She was too much the first time she was on the screen for more than 30 seconds. This show makes all the villains completely OTT, it's supposed to be a drama, not anime.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I haven't watched the last two episodes.   I didn't really want to crap all over the series given that some here enjoy it.

That said, I am intrigued by the notion that "Madeline went to high school with some real assholes".

My high school graduation class was mostly made up of assholes, and their enablers.  I am interested in seeing how bad it was for her.  Maybe I will watch.

They haven't actually shown what high school was like for Madeline.  We have just seen her old high school classmates in the present day, and they act like assholes now.  For example, lying in court to get her convicted of murder and then telling her to "get over it." Or turning a eulogy for someone into an attack on Madeline/Levi.  

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

There's a big difference between "beyond a reasonable doubt" and provably not guilty. I don't even think it's all that noble for lawyers to cherry pick people who seem innocent and retry their cases to change the result. For example, Barry Scheck uses DNA evidence to free people because police and prosecutors used bad methods to convict these people. Whether they are guilty in reality is less important than making sure the legal system follows the rules set forth by the Constitution.

It's also laughable that Gore tried to convince Madeline that Adele was guilty by claiming he knows when someone's guilty. He just told Madeline HE knows she's guilty to this day. Bellows definitely was trying but failing to do the right thing this week, potentially letting a drug executive put a bad product on the market and pimping out his protege.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, ketose said:

It's also laughable that Gore tried to convince Madeline that Adele was guilty by claiming he knows when someone's guilty. He just told Madeline HE knows she's guilty to this day. 

Wouldn't it be awesome if in the final show it turns out that Madeline really was guilty? And that Levi was innocent? That would make watching this piece of crap worth it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I find this show kind of interesting but it has a lot of problems. I actually live in the suburb they talked about in this episode and I’m a reporter for a major Chicago paper so it is fun seeing the misrepresentations ( and my husband is a non crooked cop!).

Why is Maddie in charge of everything instead of Easy? She sure pushes her weight around. Other annoying things:

Our newspaper doesn’t publish gossip or rumors

How do these lawyers pay their bills? Most lawyers involved in these projects maintain regular law practices 

Why wouldn’t they investigate this professor. And the secret hand touch thing was done better on LA Law

Are we supposed to cheer for Maddie beating up people? I have a lot more nitpicks but I will save them for next week

• Useful 2