Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E26: What Comes Next

• Start Topic

Ashley disappoints her mom and sister. Jade reevaluates her life after her grandmother’s cancer scare. Kyler doesn’t invite his mom to Tobias’s first birthday party. Brianna tries to heal old wounds. Kayla navigates Izaiah’s first birthday.

Airs: December 17, 2018

I have watched maybe parts of a couple of episodes, max.  Somehow tonight, I didn't change the channel.

As I was listening to Jade say how she wants something better for her daughter, she's going back to school no matter what, I just thought what if this girl had just a normal parent growing up.  She's got the druggie mooching mom, who most surely comes around every time she needs help and money.  She has to be looking for that big MTV money.   Jade, be smart, and if you give her any money, keep the amounts small.  Don't let her know what you're really making from MTV.

Lexi, she does seem slow.  What in the world does she see in Kyler?  Stupid name, and he's a lump of nothing.   Not like he's even cute, though stupid.  Or stupid, but comes from money.  He's like this blob, that does nothing.

Ashley?  Oh, she's the type who wants guys fighting over her.  I think Mom (who may have spoiled her growing up), finally put her foot down and told her she has to move out?  I don't know how the ratings for this show are, but it's only year two, so the MTV money is not a certainty.  Ashley just looked like she wanted to say whatever, probably thinking oh I'm an MTV 'star' now.  Again, not guaranteed sweetie.

The anger management class couple - I hope it does work out for them.  Don't know if he's being sincere or just saying what everyone wants to hear.

Brianna.  When she was being told how they had to watch expenses and maybe get second jobs, she also had a whatever look on her face (thinking I'm getting that MTV money, no need to work).  Then she got home, from which most certainly was a firing (we don't want to work with you any longer is not a lay off), she looked slightly pissed.  I'm betting she got into it with a customer or they were just tired of her attitude and missing work.  If she was missing work a lot, no way they didn't speak to her about it before, probably warning her.  Guessing she was less than enthusiastic at work, again thinking why am I here, I've got that MTV money coming in soon.  I was trying to figure out where she lived.  I thought she was in an urban area last time I watched the show (Milwaukee, it turns out).  Wiki said she moved to Portland OR with her mom (and the ex).  How does Portland just have a few jobs?  Unless they live way outside of Portland - which why would you move so far out where jobs are scarce?  It also said they had lived in an Airbnb because they couldn't secure an apartment - no local job.  Why in the holy hell would you move cross country without doing a little research on where the cost of living was reasonable, plenty of jobs, etc.?  

• Love 6

Who else noticed that Kyler was less insufferable this episode? He still moped around expressionless, but he was more sympathetic. I think him opening up about his troubled relationship with his mother gave more insight on why he is the way he is. I also liked the look he gave the camera at the end of his and Lexi's segment when he was like, "Thanks for the party, I'm gonna go," and Lexi was like, "No you're not." *hugs* 

Ashley seems to genuinely love Bar. I think Bar loves Ashley, but he is really bad at processing his emotions. He also tries a little too hard to subscribe to the "thuggin" life Paster Tea alluded to. Otherwise he seems to have a kind heart deep below the "hard" surface. I'm just happy that Ashley makes her own decisions and is unapologetic about it. She has a lot of negativity in her ear from her own mother. 

I think I like Jade the most. She appears to have a good head on her shoulders despite everything she must have gone through growing up. I like how she just kind of shook her head in disbelief when her mom was all like, "I've never asked you for anything!" She knows how to pick her battles at this point I'm sure. She always is calm and rational in the midst of all the drug fiends around her. I hope things work out for her in the long run. 

Brianna's story is bleak. I think therapy is great for anybody, so at least she is trying to explore that option to smooth some things out in her life. I do feel slight sympathy for her since her mother is unlike your conventionally maternal mother. Her desperation to have more people in the house to make money to pay the bills is sad in ways more than one. It doesn't seem like carefully planning things out is either of their strong suits. 

Kayla, girl. I wanted to like her because I used to live in the town next to her. It's fun to see all the places I know when her segment is on. I was even working at the Sheriff's Office where she filed her Order of Protection. BUT she is bratty, plain and simple. She is also a bad liar. Her mom was a bit abrasive in the way she approached Kayla when she was sweeping, but it was understandable. Kayla releases her aggression on her mother rather than using that energy to put Stephan in his place. I get that Stephan is Izaiah's father and she wants him to be in Izaiah's life, but don't pretend that Stephan didn't make his own bed. I wonder how far she can stick her head in the sand. 

• Love 16
10 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

I have watched maybe parts of a couple of episodes, max.  Somehow tonight, I didn't change the channel.

As I was listening to Jade say how she wants something better for her daughter, she's going back to school no matter what, I just thought what if this girl had just a normal parent growing up.  She's got the druggie mooching mom, who most surely comes around every time she needs help and money.  She has to be looking for that big MTV money.   Jade, be smart, and if you give her any money, keep the amounts small.  Don't let her know what you're really making from MTV.

Lexi, she does seem slow.  What in the world does she see in Kyler?  Stupid name, and he's a lump of nothing.   Not like he's even cute, though stupid.  Or stupid, but comes from money.  He's like this blob, that does nothing.

Ashley?  Oh, she's the type who wants guys fighting over her.  I think Mom (who may have spoiled her growing up), finally put her foot down and told her she has to move out?  I don't know how the ratings for this show are, but it's only year two, so the MTV money is not a certainty.  Ashley just looked like she wanted to say whatever, probably thinking oh I'm an MTV 'star' now.  Again, not guaranteed sweetie.

The anger management class couple - I hope it does work out for them.  Don't know if he's being sincere or just saying what everyone wants to hear.

Brianna.  When she was being told how they had to watch expenses and maybe get second jobs, she also had a whatever look on her face (thinking I'm getting that MTV money, no need to work).  Then she got home, from which most certainly was a firing (we don't want to work with you any longer is not a lay off), she looked slightly pissed.  I'm betting she got into it with a customer or they were just tired of her attitude and missing work.  If she was missing work a lot, no way they didn't speak to her about it before, probably warning her.  Guessing she was less than enthusiastic at work, again thinking why am I here, I've got that MTV money coming in soon.  I was trying to figure out where she lived.  I thought she was in an urban area last time I watched the show (Milwaukee, it turns out).  Wiki said she moved to Portland OR with her mom (and the ex).  How does Portland just have a few jobs?  Unless they live way outside of Portland - which why would you move so far out where jobs are scarce?  It also said they had lived in an Airbnb because they couldn't secure an apartment - no local job.  Why in the holy hell would you move cross country without doing a little research on where the cost of living was reasonable, plenty of jobs, etc.?  

Very good points made. I think, though, you've mixed up Kayla and Stephan and Ashley and Bar. I kind of have hope for them, too. Bar seems to be a nice person but he comes from a really, really bad family with a hood mother and a cohort of convict brothers. Ashley loves him, but she's not going to run back into his arms--I hope. 

Brianna is the worst of the bunch. Her mother also is pretty bad. She wanted to move there because her parents and other family live in Portland but they don't seem to be providing much support at all. Brianna disposes of people like a torn T-shirt.

Praying for Jade.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

How does Portland just have a few jobs?  Unless they live way outside of Portland - which why would you move so far out where jobs are scarce?  It also said they had lived in an Airbnb because they couldn't secure an apartment - no local job.  Why in the holy hell would you move cross country without doing a little research on where the cost of living was reasonable, plenty of jobs, etc.?  

I think they do live way outside Portland, and I can see her missing a lot of work since she sent the babysitter packing. 

The whole move, as presented, makes no sense.  They couldn't even stay with the family they moved to Portland to be near.  And maybe the family didn't want them to stay with them or didn't have room, but of all the places on the planet to move to with little money and no housing or jobs lined up, they choose Portland?  It has a (well-deserved) reputation for being a popular place to move/live with an extremely tough housing market.  Not much research needed there.

3 hours ago, kjwillis93 said:

Who else noticed that Kyler was less insufferable this episode?

Me!  There was one point where he was smiling or joking and I saw a glimpse of inoffensive personality.

I also liked the look he gave the camera at the end of his and Lexi's segment

I hope you're not ever going to audition for a reality TV show because with grammar like that, you won't even get in the door.  But it makes my heart sing.

• Love 9

Portland resident here. First of all, Brianna lives in Newberg which is way outside of Portland. It is an agricultural community on the outskirts of the city. The restaurant that Brianna worked at is in East Portland, so her commute would have been at least an hour each way. No wonder that didn't work out. Moving there requires a lot of planing because housing is very expensive, which is why they are in Newberg and not Portland. It is very difficult to get a job here. For some reason, hiring managers are very paranoid and will not hire anyone without a minimum of three interviews. I had a stretch when it took two years to land a job because resume, phone interview, in person interview, second in person interview, rinse and repeat. it is not the fact that there are so few jobs because that is not the case. It is simply that they make landing job next to impossible but once landed, more hesitant to fire. The opposite I had in California where they were eager to eager to hire and very eager to fire. 

• Love 2

I agree that Jade needs to get away from everyone. No matter what she does and how hard she works, she will continually be dragged down by Sean and her parents and things will be so much more difficult for her than they need to be.

I hate Kyler. With a passion. But I'm going to say that I can now completely understand his view that he wants to move away from there as soon as he can, doesn't want parents around, etc. After this week, it's clear that he was raised with no love, affection or support from his parents. I just don't get the vibe that he wants to "isolate" Lexi in an abuser sort of way. It's a situation that Lexi and her mother cannot possibly understand because their lives were so different than his. Mom thinks he is trying to isolate her from her family for nefarious reasons, when the reality is that Kyler wants to move on and be adults and cannot fathom why Lexi is still dependent in many ways on mom and dad. At the same time, Lexi cannot fathom why Kyler would want her to separate from her mom and dad because her life was opposite of his.

Kyler does not have the wiring to understand a close relationship or embracing a support system. It does not exist inside of him because it was never there. I still think he's a lump and see nothing attractive about him but this week was nice to see.  I say all this because it's all about your experience growing up and I can totally relate to Kyler in that way. 

Brianna just pisses me off. She has this attitude that anything that is not in line with what she feels like is unfair. I have news for you, Bri, you created your own situation.

So Kayla once again thinks that it's okay to lie to someone if they are going to be angry if you tell them the truth. I'm dying to know if she really did go shopping with Stephan for those birthday clothes. I believed Stephan mainly because I don't think he's bright enough to come  up with that on his own on the spot. I love that Kayla's mother told her she needs to move out but I wanted to throw a shoe through my TV when she did it in this Brady Bunch, "I just feel like.." voice. If you want your daughter to understand that there are severe consequences for lying and being deceitful about large matters, this is something that should have been instilled years ago. Kayla was wearing one of those disgusting looking jumpsuit things that Kail has been wearing. They seriously make you look horrible and I don't get the attraction to them.

It's beginning to feel like every week it's the same thing: Ashley and Bar have a fight, Jade has issues with he druggie boyfriend or mom, Brianna whines about everything, Lexi and Kyler act like Lexi and Kyler, and Kayla does something behind someone's back and lies about it.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Kayla was wearing one of those disgusting looking jumpsuit things that Kail has been wearing. They seriously make you look horrible and I don't get the attraction to them.

I noticed she and her friends were wearing those at the birthday party.  What horrible design combined with thin fabric, that is a piece of clothing that would flatter nobody.  

I understand Kayla's mom's position, but where is she going to go with an infant, no income and a deadbeat dad.  Is the MTV money enough to fund her and her baby living on their own I wonder?  

Also with that new boyfriend on the scene my money is on Kayla as the first of the moms to have baby #2.

Edited by JasminePhyllisia
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, configdotsys said:

I hate Kyler. With a passion. But I'm going to say that I can now completely understand his view that he wants to move away from there as soon as he can, doesn't want parents around, etc. After this week, it's clear that he was raised with no love, affection or support from his parents. I just don't get the vibe that he wants to "isolate" Lexi in an abuser sort of way. It's a situation that Lexi and her mother cannot possibly understand because their lives were so different than his. Mom thinks he is trying to isolate her from her family for nefarious reasons, when the reality is that Kyler wants to move on and be adults and cannot fathom why Lexi is still dependent in many ways on mom and dad. At the same time, Lexi cannot fathom why Kyler would want her to separate from her mom and dad because her life was opposite of his.

Kyler does not have the wiring to understand a close relationship or embracing a support system. It does not exist inside of him because it was never there. I still think he's a lump and see nothing attractive about him but this week was nice to see.  I say all this because it's all about your experience growing up and I can totally relate to Kyler in that way. 

I thought he was an abusive/ isolation type based on the way he always has to have the upper hand with Lexi but I agree with your conclusions. He thinks that families have nothing to offer but he's also trying to build one with Lexi so it would be nice if he could let his defenses down and allow her family to present a better role model for family. He needs to learn it from someone. It seems like this is starting to happen. He's actually a lot more intact than many people I have known from similar situations. He appears bonded with his child.

I feel like I should add if my relative was dating this doofus, I'd be pretty pissed.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, JasminePhyllisia said:

I understand Kayla's mom's position, but where is she going to go with an infant, no income and a deadbeat dad. 

My mother threw me out of the house on my 18th birthday with nothing but the clothes on my back and the baby in my arms. Best bit of parenting she ever did.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Kayla was wearing one of those disgusting looking jumpsuit things that Kail has been wearing. They seriously make you look horrible and I don't get the attraction to them.

I was trying to figure out why they were all looking like characters from A Clock Work Orange. (I totally just dated myself! LOL)

• Love 7

Brianna's mom kept saying "without Robert's income..."  WHAT INCOME!?!? that guy wasn't working the entire time they were there and WHY would you move without being financially prepared?? omg her mother drives me crazy. You do NOT depend on your kids to pay your bills.  That is not ok. No matter what age they are. Brianna needs to make some friends and move out with roommates and leave her mom to fend for herself. 

• Love 10

Do we think Kayla’s mom is going to follow through this time? I guess we find out in the reunion. I just wish she’d told Kayla, “You don’t get to declare conversations over when I’m raising serious issues. They’re over when the problem is resolved, and not before.”

Kayla sure confirmed our conclusion last week that she wants to stir up drama. Giving Izaiah to the new boyfriend to hold with Stephan standing right there? Taking those “Incredibles” family pics with the new guy (surely for social media)? Come on.

I think there’s hope for Bar. Typically my reaction would be, “He hit you once? It’s over forever.” But somehow he convinced me that he’s got plenty of good left in him, and I’m not prepared to write him off.

Braeson’s pride in himself for walking to Grandma was almost as cute as his reaction to Robert on FaceTime.

I hope Jade can make going to school work. She’s got no quit in her. She’s someone I could see working her ass off to be a successful businesswoman. She’s much prettier with the toned-down makeup, too. 

• Love 13

I can't believe I'm about to say this but....I kind of like Kyler now that I understand where he's coming from.  That poor kid sounds like he grew up a lot like Jade.  And I respect any teen father that takes on the role of stay at home dad.  Taking care of a baby is a lot of work and seeing a teenage boy take on that responsibility seemingly without complaint wins a lot of brownie points from me.  He also seemed to relax a little this episode and actually show some affection and personality with Lexi. Definitely the best dad in the bunch.

Poor poor Jade.  I can't imagine being surrounded by a bunch of mooches like she is.  Apparently she's actually in beauty school now so that's great.  I can definitely see her going the Chelsea route, despite not having much familial support.  When her mom actually said "I don't ask anything form you" OMG.  Props to Jade for not flying over the table and punching her in the face with that one. 

I can't stand Brianna OR her mother.  What kind of mother relies so heavily on her teenage daughter to pay the bills?  Her mom is the type to knock on Brianna's door on the morning of her 18th birthday demanding rent money.   I guess it could be worse, she could have a mother like Jade but damn.

Kayla.  I cannot stand Kayla's disrespectful little ass.  I was cheering when Jaime kicked her out.   I guess Kayla is what happens when you allow your teenager to grow up without ever having any consequences for bad behavior.  She legitimately thinks she doesn't have to follow any of Jaime's rules.   And she's playing a VERY dangerous game using her new boyfriend to make that psychopath baby daddy jealous.  She was clearly relishing Stephen seeing her with her new boyfriend.  I know that's pretty typical teenage girl behavior, but it's just downright stupid when you've got a baby in the mix and your ex is a violent nutjob.   That stupid little girl is going to be learning a lot of life lessons the hard way.  And for the love of god, those extensions are painful, as well as the matching outfits with her friends.  WTF? 

• Love 14
On 12/20/2018 at 3:55 PM, IvySpice said:

Do we think Kayla’s mom is going to follow through this time? I guess we find out in the reunion. I just wish she’d told Kayla, “You don’t get to declare conversations over when I’m raising serious issues. They’re over when the problem is resolved, and not before.”

Kayla sure confirmed our conclusion last week that she wants to stir up drama. Giving Izaiah to the new boyfriend to hold with Stephan standing right there? Taking those “Incredibles” family pics with the new guy (surely for social media)? Come on.

I think there’s hope for Bar. Typically my reaction would be, “He hit you once? It’s over forever.” But somehow he convinced me that he’s got plenty of good left in him, and I’m not prepared to write him off.

Braeson’s pride in himself for walking to Grandma was almost as cute as his reaction to Robert on FaceTime.

I hope Jade can make going to school work. She’s got no quit in her. She’s someone I could see working her ass off to be a successful businesswoman. She’s much prettier with the toned-down makeup, too. 

If Kayla's mom doesn't follow through I will be fuming! And yes, she should have been more forceful instead of walking on eggshells. Why does she think Kayla continues to do shit like this? Because the only consequence is that mom will morph into Carol Brady and whisper her disapproval. 

Yes, to Bar. There is something there. And I wondered why the hell I would think that if he hit her. But there really is something in there that deserves more than to be kicked to the curb. 

5 hours ago, lezlers said:

He also seemed to relax a little this episode and actually show some affection and personality with Lexi. Definitely the best dad in the bunch.

Yes. That was nice to see. I totally get him now. You keep a straight face and don't get excited/mushy/etc. over anything because that wiring is not inside you. No one ever cared that it was your birthday except for the cursory "Happy Birthday" and some gifts. But you were never made to feel special, or wanted, or anything. So you grow up with no appreciation and look at people like they have nine heads when they are throwing parties, playing board games with their kids, shopping and laughing and whatever. Never having had any of that really affects you and it's not something you can "grow" later. It was nice to see him get a little loose. I can't believe I'm saying this about him. I'm getting whiplash with these shows. The ones you hate at the start, you like best later, and the ones you loved at the start, you can't stand. 

• Love 7
On 12/20/2018 at 3:55 PM, IvySpice said:

Totally agree. 

I think the theme of the party was trains, and the fools in the matching outfits were trying to look like conductors.

• Love 5

Im sure everyone pointed this out

But,

hot jam Kayla.

What the hell was that first segment? So immature. I feel bad because ALL OF US are pointing and laughing but damn girl. Your son will see how desperate you were to get his dads attention... And then he will see how stupid is dad really was.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, simple said:

Im sure everyone pointed this out

But,

hot jam Kayla.

What the hell was that first segment? So immature. I feel bad because ALL OF US are pointing and laughing but damn girl. Your son will see how desperate you were to get his dads attention... And then he will see how stupid is dad really was.

I just sit back and laugh when I imagine ever speaking to my mother the way Kayla speaks to Jaime, ESPECIALLY if I had done it in front of all of my friends, like Kayla did.  I'd still be paying the price 25 years later! Honestly, what kind of teenager tells her MOTHER "this conversation is over."  Especially while living under her mother's roof? WTF?? It's appalling to me seeing that kind of disrespect just being brushed aside.  Jaime comes across as a very meek woman and you just know Kayla has always taken advantage of that.  And those matching outfits (especially the skin tight, short BRIGHT RED dresses they all wore to a BAPTISM in CHURCH) also crack me up.  I could see myself doing that with my friends in high school, which is why I can't even for a second imagine having had either of my children at that age.  Holy hell, it would have been quite the shitshow. 

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 5

While I agree with Kayla's mom's feelings about her rules being violated, I think she should have started with a smaller consequence first - like not paying for the phone or car insurance or something. This would shift some responsibility onto Kayla and give her a chance to decide if she wants to comply with rules. Then lay out a plan for what the next consequence would be, and also what it would take to earn back the phone/insurance.   Their problem, which is found in many families, is that the parents use a very scatter-shot and unpredictable approach to consequences.  And then everything falls apart and they start to believe "nothing I do works!!!"  Well, it doesn't work because your technique is seriously flawed.

Of course, these patterns should start during early childhood rather than in the late teens.

• Love 3

I disagree- her mom was pretty crystal clear about “Stephan is NOT to be in my house,” and Kayla clearly knew that and willfully violated that one, completely reasonable rule. After how Stephan has treated her mom, stolen from mom, treated her, stolen from her- respecting that ONE clear rule and blowing it off right to Mom’s face- she SHOULD be put out on her ass. She was planning to move out but decided to stay at home a little longer in order to save money- well, your actions just took that option off of the table. 

That said, I’ll bet $$ that her mom backs off on that threat and Kayla continues to manipulate and lie and keep letting Stephan come over when Mom isn’t there. 😳

• Love 4

There is a phrase that says "win wars, not battles."  I think the "war" is for Kayla to become a productive member of society who can support herself and her child. If she can become/remain financially solvent, it will decrease her need to depend on a dysfunctional man to help pay rent, etc..  I view having Stephan in the home as a battle, which is why I think some smaller consequences are the better choice at this point.  

Given that her mom hasn't apparently been implementing effective consequences over the years, it seems that by kicking Kayla out she is going from nothing to the nuclear option. That doesn't really benefit Kayla in the long run, in my opinion, and it also doesn't give Shelley much to work with when the nuclear option doesn't work.  It might feel satisfying to really stick it to her, but will that help her get her life on track for the long term?

It is always much, much harder when there is a baby/grandchild in the mix. Booting out a defiant teen by themselves is one thing, but now there is a baby whose life will be affected by every decision. That is why I think Kayla's mom should focus on the "war" and not the "battle."

• Love 1

I agree about the battles vs war, but I think at this point the nuclear option is the only one available to Mom since she spent years and years being lax with Kayla. Hearing Kayla say, "This conversation is over" to her mother and defying her by bringing Stephan over there when she is not home demonstrates who ran that household. I'm sure there are many other lies Kayla has told her mother about contact with Stephan. Now Mom wants to take back control and it's very late in the game so she doesn't have much of a choice here. I hope she sticks with her choice to put Kayla out. 

• Love 2

Kayla has had more than enough chances on this. Stephan has beaten Kayla, and has stolen from Jaime and acted physically threatening towards her as well, and clearly has no self control or insight, and she laid down the rule long ago that he is not to be in her house, and yet Kayla keeps breaking this rule. How else is she supposed to keep him out of her own house?  As others have noted, talking about it doesn't work, because Kayla either yells that the conversation is over, or says fine and then does whatever she wants to do anyway.  Kayla also, instead of following through on getting a restraining order, continues to hang out with Stephan and invite him over to the house!

I see no reason why Jaime should have to go through some graduated series of punishments like not paying for Kayla's phone before kicking her out. That is highly unlikely to work, anyway. Just because she is Kayla's mother doesn't mean she has to take any more of this from either one of them. (And it's not like she's disowning her or anything. She just can't have Kayla living in her house anymore if that means there is a serious risk that Stephan is going to be there.)

Edited by akr
typo
  • Love 6