Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E16: Grudge Match Finale

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

Jimmy called it out on the collusion against Chris. Funny part is that Chris was instrumental in most of the Flash Challenges that Team Christian won and he was right most of the time when he chimes in and they told him to shut up.

• Love 8

My prediction: Tiffer, Teej, Tony

Actual: Tony, Teej, Tiffer

Shows what I know 

Another year of a finalist being eliminated before all their tattoos are judged—makes no sense. Especially the “jury” deliberation which consisted of more team Christian than Team Cleen members. 

Interesting that there was no announcement about next season. Trotting next season’s crew out on stage like the circus has been a tradition in recent years. 

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, Inkmaster0345 said:

Shows what I know 

Another year of a finalist being eliminated before all their tattoos are judged—makes no sense. Especially the “jury” deliberation which consisted of more team Christian than Team Cleen members. 

Interesting that there was no announcement about next season. Trotting next season’s crew out on stage like the circus has been a tradition in recent years. 

Hopefully that means Paramount will either take the time to come up with an interesting concept for the next season of Ink Master or realize that it ran its course and pull the plug. This finale was and whole season was incredibly boring. At least Cleen got his win, so we’ll no longer have to see him again.

• Love 5

I felt Teej had the better tag-team tattoo, but I'll give it to Tony having the better master canvas. 

But I prefer Christian's leg by far over Cleen's muddy piece. If only it wasn't rigged for Cleen from the start. Chris was always going to pick him. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Inkmaster0345 said:

Shows what I know 

I think your prediction (and mine was the same) was based on their performance during the season.  I thought all three of the tag team tattoos were pretty even and the fact that their coach tattooed half of it makes it a poor method of any form of judging a win for an individual.  But I thought Tony totally brought it in the master canvas.  I agree with Nunez that the color of Tiffers bear was muted and for me made it fade away rather than be the the main focal point of the tattoo.  The textures in Teej's tattoo were amazing but I didn't think it looked like a tiger wearing armour.  It was a tiger head with a helmet above it and armour below it, they didn't fit together properly to for a cohesive image.  Seeing Tony's stencil I thought he had 3rd place sewn up but the tattoo itself looked amazing and they judged it based on the finale tattoos not their performance during the season. 

4 hours ago, Inkmaster0345 said:

I thought it was so bs that they had the jury of eliminated contestants.  Tony and Tiffer making the finale is a win for their coach because it allowed 2 sabotages, but then screws themselves because it meant 1 less jury vote.  The only way it would have been fair was if it was a blind judging but that would have been nearly impossible for them not to know who did what.

3 hours ago, Charlesman said:

But I prefer Christian's leg by far over Cleen's muddy piece. If only it wasn't rigged for Cleen from the start. Chris was always going to pick him. 

I agree with Peck that Christian's illustration and composition was top notch.  But for a new school tattoo the colors weren't bright enough.  I think the purple background should have been more vibrant.  And similar to last season, the judges love big tattoos, so go big and go home with the title.

• Love 5

Color me shocked that Tiffer was the first finalist eliminated.  I thought for certain we'd see a Tiffer and Teej face off.  

Add me to the list of viewers who hate that they eliminate an artist before all their finale work is judged.  And letting the eliminated artists vote on the first person to stay?  Total bullshit.  Of course Teej would be chosen.  Team Christian had more eliminated inktestants to vote.  No way was anyone on Team Christian voting for Tiffer or Tony (unless maybe Chris in a psychoticstate-approved method of getting some payback.) 

I'm glad that Chris got to speak up about how he was sabotaged by his own team.  I wish someone had found one of Nunez' hats to stuff in Amanda's mouth.  I see she is still trying to get the first and last word in.  STFU.  I was fervently hoping that Chris would get up from Team Christian and walk over and sit down with Team Cleen.  That would have been gold.

I agree with Nunez on Christian's finale piece.  It was excellent, as all Christian's work is, but it would really have popped with some black in it.  Cleen's piece was impressive if not solely for the size and scale of it.  

I thought Teej's back piece was probably stunning - - if I could have really seen it.  The show does a better job of letting us see the elimination tattoos during the regular season than they do on these finale shows.  The tiger was really well done but some of the other aspects appeared hazy to me.  Maybe I need stronger glasses. 

Tiffer's bear should have really jumped and it didn't.  Tony's back piece had the right color and line work to really impress the judges.  As did his tag team piece with Cleen. 

Funny how the issues with Teej and Christian's dragon were not brought up in the initial judging until Team Cleen brought them up in the deliberation room.  Then the judges had to address them but say scales going the wrong way, yeah, they did that but it was okay! 

Tony was definitely the underdog but I'm good with him winning.  I think Teej thought he had the title in the bag, especially when Tiffer was eliminated.  He couldn't even look at the judges when they were addressing him at the end.  I guess all that "I'm out for me," while throwing Chris and Tim under the bus, didn't exactly pan out.  

Edited by psychoticstate
  • Love 6

It doesn't really matter that one of three is eliminated before the final judging. Despite what Dave says, the judges would make sure that the eventual winner makes it past the stupid jury. 

Just like the jury is useless when putting someone in the bottom (the judges make sure that the person going home is one of the other three if the jury doesn't pick them), the jury is useless when picking someone for the top. If Tiffer was going to beat Tony, he would have been up there instead. 

Edited by Charlesman
  • Love 4

Well, that was unpleasant.  It felt as predetermined as most of the season.  OK, now that you have crowned Cleen the King of the Universe, can you keep the son of a bitch off my TV screen?

If they have another season, I am hoping curiosity doesn't suck me into watching again.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Charlesman said:

It doesn't really matter that one of three is eliminated before the final judging. Despite what Dave says, the judges would make sure that the eventual winner makes it past the stupid jury. 

Just like the jury is useless when putting someone in the bottom (the judges make sure that the person going home is one of the other three if the jury doesn't pick them), the jury is useless when picking someone for the top. If Tiffer was going to beat Tony, he would have been up there instead. 

Yeah, but here's the problem with that.  If Teej had the weakest tattoos out of the three, he's still in.  That means that either Tony or Tiffer, who may have had the best tattoos, don't both make it to the top 2.  

Frankly, if the jury had been smart, and if they felt certain that Teej would get voted in and Tony was the bigger threat to him, they should have voted Tiffer into the top 2.  Of course, as the judges pointed out, anything can happen.

I agree that the jury is basically worthless.  They got to flex their muscles during the regular season, they should have zero say or vote during the finale.  In the early seasons, when the finale was live, didn't the judges cut one person out of the three before making their decision on the top 2?  I'd much prefer that. 

• Love 3

Dave said at the end "see you next season." Good to see him flash some devil horns and not look quite as unhealthy as he did this season! 

I couldn't really see the tattoos well enough to decide who's was better. Dave's whole "bring it in guys" as if the judges are deciding right then. Bitch, please.  

Teej looked pissed. I'm guessing he and Christian felt they picked Tony cuz the winner had to be from Cleen's team. It would kind of be weird to have the Ink Master be from the losing judges team, but whatever, who knows, who cares, thank fucking god this was not 2 fucking hours long and peace out! 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Charlesman said:

Not sure about that.  I think they wanted a team Christian vs Team Clean final 2 so if the jury had voted in Tiffer then maybe Tony would have missed out on final 2.  But hey that is just speculation

• Love 3

I was always a Cleen fan and Tony was my choice from the start,  so I am loving this outcome!  I'm glad to see Christian, his shit attitude and pitting his team against each other go down in flames.  Say what you will about Cleen but he remained a positive force for his team.  I wasn't a fan of Tiffer either,  not since he threw his team under the bus during a skull pick.  

None of the tattoos were exactly my taste,  but Tony's back piece was stunning.   Cleen's body piece was impressive and he crushed execution.  Christian's leg piece was muddy and didn't live up to his shit talking.  Same with Teej's.  I found it hard to read and not able to meet his arrogance.  As for Tiffer, his tag team lion was also muddy and I didn't care for his back piece,  grizzly my ass. 

For once I think they got it right.  Glad to see Christian,  and his team go down, now get your shitty tude off my tv, and take Teej and Amanda with you.   I'd love them to bring back Chris and give him a fair shot.   It'd be worth it if he won.. suck on that team Christian!

• Love 5

Hey Christian!  How's it feel to lose, you loud mouthed jerk?  I'm grateful that this season is over.  I never want to see Christian again.  If they bring him back next year, I'm dropping this show.  If EJ is back, I'm out too.  I hate him equally as much as I hate Christian.

• Love 4

I hadn't watched this show for a couple of years and did watch the first couple of shows this year and got bored with the grudge concept. Not even sure why I watched the final but this show is so over for me. The first couple of years it was about tattoos and now it's about confrontations which is BS.

Won't waste the time next year.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, CandyKat said:

For once I think they got it right.  Glad to see Christian,  and his team go down, now get your shitty tude off my tv, and take Teej and Amanda with you.   I'd love them to bring back Chris and give him a fair shot.   It'd be worth it if he won.. suck on that team Christian!

Unfortunately I think if they bring back Chris they will also bring back Amanda in a new "grudge match"

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CaptainCranky said:

The first couple of years it was about tattoos and now it's about confrontations which is BS.

Exactly!  Even though I am not really a fan of tattoos, I enjoyed watching the artistry and skill.  Sadly, it has deteriorated into contrived rivalries, drama, soap opera and the promotion of nasty personalities.  I need to quit watching now.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Suzn said:

Exactly!  Even though I am not really a fan of tattoos, I enjoyed watching the artistry and skill.  Sadly, it has deteriorated into contrived rivalries, drama, soap opera and the promotion of nasty personalities.  I need to quit watching now.

I completely agree!!!
I may delete my season pass to this and just keep the Ink Master Angels one - I love seeing the artistry and all the different styles that have evolved but am over the contrived rage and confrontations. I hate seeing them try to make others fail and ignore the fact that someone is going to have to live with this tattoo - I am glad that for the most part they don't have the canvases there for the obnoxious critiques. 

• Love 4

The other thing I liked about this season was two IM Angels contestants making it to the finals. True or not, it has the appearance of scrappy, underdog artists proving their worth.

1 hour ago, dstann said:

Unfortunately I think if they bring back Chris they will also bring back Amanda in a new "grudge match"

I'm afraid you're right. This show encourages and rewards the ugliest, most unpleasant personalities and behavior.

When asked, I will still tell people that IM is one of my "favorite shows" even though I'm not sure I even qualify as a viewer at this point. I fast-forward through the opening of the previous week's results, every bit of discussion in the contestant loft area, the skull picks, the strategizing about skull picks, and most of the tattooing itself. My curated episodes consist of Dave explaining the challenges, the presentation of the completed flash work and elimination tattoos, and the judge's critiques.

Occasionally I'll watch while each of the canvases explain what they want because the artists' horrified expressions can still be a bit funny. I have to put up with the artists and coaches yelling out their own criticisms and bullshit during judging, but I generally get a 40 minute episode down to about 12. 

• Love 5

All season long I was pronouncing Teej's name as one syllable, not as T.J. That is my confession for the day.

Teej's tattoo was hard to read.  Tiffer's bear was a huge fail.  It looked like he completed everything but the bear.  Also it seemed to really give his canvas an hourglass figure.  I'm not sure that was intent.

I never quite got what the judges saw in Tiffer.  He's good but he never wowed me.  Maybe his work looked better live.

As for the finale, as always, I really wish they would show the tattoos more.  

Ultimately I am glad Tony won.  When he was told what they were going to need to do for the finale, I do believe he studied up on the style he was less familiar with.  He is clearly a hard worker who also seems to focus on giving his client what they want and the best he can do.  For all of the blowhards they love to feature on this show, it is nice to see a hardworking guy power through for the win. And yes, he has a style; it's just not one they feature on this show. 

• Love 9

It says a lot about this season that they didn't post images of the contestants' tattoos online, just a selection of Christian & Cleen's "best" work (from which I learned that Christian likes to tattoo images of topless women with vapid facial expressions and large breasts, that Cleen likes color, and that I like almost none of what either one of them does).   

Edited by akr
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, CaptainCranky said:

I hadn't watched this show for a couple of years and did watch the first couple of shows this year and got bored with the grudge concept. Not even sure why I watched the final but this show is so over for me. The first couple of years it was about tattoos and now it's about confrontations which is BS.

Won't waste the time next year.

That brings back fond memories of Best Ink. That show was way better than Ink Master. I also hate how the contestants always have to start whining and complaining in unison about the challenges.

• Love 6

I immediately wished Tiffer to the bottom when I saw that suit. Seriously dude?

I never like the finales and this one held true to that. I'd like to have heard from more than freakin' Amanda and Christian running their mouths.

I basically despise Christian but I'm no big fan of Cleen's either. I agreed with voting against Christian as I thought that leg piece already looked aged by five years. I'm also glad that Christian in the end torpedoed "his boy" Teej by not recognizing during design or stencil stage that the dragon scales were going the wrong way.

I guess it was nice to see Tony win as he seems like a good, hard working guy.

I'm really just glad this season is behind us.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, dstann said:

Good lord,  run outside,  turn around three times and spit, right now!  Jesus that would suck!  Amanda is a no talent hack.   She lasted far too long and doesn't deserve a second chance.   On the other hand,  if Chris had been on Cleen's team I wonder if he'd have been on that stage. 

• Love 5

I liked Tony all season but was pretty sure he couldn't win, just in terms of quality. But he definitely brought it for the finale. Tiffer's piece didn't look like a bear, and the composition was terrible - great in theory, but there was no separation to make the paw and the fish stand out so it was unreadable.

I liked Teej's tiger (btw, @PrincessPurrsALot my husband also said Teej as one syllable ... all the way through the finale, all evidence to the contrary), but the armor didn't read right to me. I don't know if it wasn't positioned right or what, but it looked like very nice background decoration rather than something attached to the tiger.

When I saw Tony's drawing for his back piece, I said "oh no, that's not good at all," but he sure proved me wrong. I think he definitely deserved to win.

As for the coaches, the less said the better. BUT, I did think it was funny that the worst thing Christian could think of to call the Team Cleen hecklers was "social media". Haha, Christian's nemesis!

• Love 5

I'd like to think that this is the last that we've seen from Cleen and Christian, but this is also Ink Master and the show has a strange love affair with both of them. I don't want to see them in another season. The only tolerable way for them to return is if they showed up for a guest judging. That might be cool. Past contestants to come in for guest judging based on their specialties. So Christian for B & W Traditional, Cleen, Jime or Jesse for new school, Tatu Baby for dark portraits/pin ups or something etc... That would be the only way I'd be okay with old contestants showing up. That way at least we get a theme and someone who can judge properly.

Since this season is over, what are some things that you'd like to see in the next season?

A return to the old style of Ink Master where everyone is against everyone and skull picks are random? Blind tattoo judging for every episode? A day where they have to tattoo on old skin or black skin and not complain about the old skin or black skin?

• Love 2
10 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I'd like to think that this is the last that we've seen from Cleen and Christian, but this is also Ink Master and the show has a strange love affair with both of them. I don't want to see them in another season. The only tolerable way for them to return is if they showed up for a guest judging. That might be cool. Past contestants to come in for guest judging based on their specialties. So Christian for B & W Traditional, Cleen, Jime or Jesse for new school, Tatu Baby for dark portraits/pin ups or something etc... That would be the only way I'd be okay with old contestants showing up. That way at least we get a theme and someone who can judge properly.

Since this season is over, what are some things that you'd like to see in the next season?

A return to the old style of Ink Master where everyone is against everyone and skull picks are random? Blind tattoo judging for every episode? A day where they have to tattoo on old skin or black skin and not complain about the old skin or black skin?

I wish they would go back to random skull picks.  It always bothers me when a canvas is intentionally given to an artist because the team picking skulls believes the artist will completely jack it up.  I get that it's a competition but this is someone's skin and body.  The weaker artists are going to be weeded out before the end (unless it's someone like Amanda, who the judges seemed to be protecting and who actually may have made it as far as she did, in part, due to skull picks.) 

I've said this in another post but I think the judges should critique the tattoos blind.  We know they have their favorites and that absolutely has to reflect in their judging. 

I liked the episodes in the older seasons when there wouldn't necessarily be an elimination because we got to see more tattoos (and usually the tattoos were good that week because they were doing something like tattooing cancer survivors, etc.)  

I'd like for IM to do away with the jury of peers.  The voting is never fair or accurate; it's just another excuse to attempt to sabotage a particular artist or team. 

Maybe IM should bring back previous IM winners to be guest judges, as well as mentors to the inktestants for that particular week. 

I actually kind of like Cleen (runs away and hides) so it wouldn't bother me for him to return.  I think Christian is a good artist (the ballerina tattoo he did on his original season, I think in the finale, was probably the most beautiful tattoo I've ever seen) but possessing a stank attitude.  I also hate that damn face tattoo. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

I also hate that damn face tattoo. 

That tattoo all season was like a reminder to me every time I'd see him that he was an ass. I couldn't get away from that...

I agree totally on blind judging and random skull draws. Not real fond of the jury of peers either.

However, all these things seem to be beloved by whoever are TPTB heading up the show. It's more about The Game than the artwork now. I guess they have come to feel that they have to manufacture drama like every other reality show.

6 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Maybe IM should bring back previous IM winners to be guest judges, as well as mentors to the inktestants for that particular week. 

I'd love that. I t could be an IM: Master's Class season where each week they'd have a past winner/specialist in a certain area that they could discuss their tattoo in the planning stage with them so they could give tips and/or help head off disasters before ink goes to skin. Use the guest as more than just an expert eye for judging. I'd love to have them also tattoo so the contestants could see how it's done; but not in the silly "If you don't beat the master you are up for elimination" way they did this past season.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

So with the random skull picks, from memory the winner of the flash challenge got to pick their skull and then it was random for everyone else, was that how it went?

One thing they did in the rivals seasons was have 2 people go head to head and each got to pick the style/subject for the other person.  I always enjoyed that as they could be strategic in picking something hard for their opponent and it meant that you really had to be able to tattoo every style.  Though a side note to that I felt they got a bit excessive with that this season in that it wasn't just style and subject, they then added stipulations.  For example when Tiffer had to do the photo realism lion head, Teej also added it has to be the whole head, mane and all.  Or in the vs coaches challenge, Christian chose black and grey woman's face, but then added shaders only.  I would have loved for one of the contestants to have used a liner and if pulled up on it have said, "Dave said you could choose the style and subject, he said nothing about being able to take away my liner."

I would like the judging to go back more towards meeting the challenge rather than legibility.  My memory could be wrong but I recall from previous seasons they were penalized heavily if they didn't meet the challenge.  I found this season, especially in the second half, if a tattoo was attractive but failed to meet the challenge it seemed to get a pass.

I’m not a fan of Christian’s face tattoos either. Does anyone know the “origin story” or reason for their existence? I can’t  remember if he ever mentioned why his face is tattooed in any previous seasons of the show.

We all know most contestants have their own style of fashion that stands out as much as they do, but how great were Tim’s shirts and brightly colored pants this season? He’s my favorite contestant in terms of his wardrobe choices. He is the only one who could have pulled off his ensemble at the finale!

I also loved his tattooing, except for the “bouquet” he did a few episodes ago. He also wins Best Reaction to Winning Tattoo of the Day for me as well!

I really liked him this season and was quite bummed to see him go home before the finale, but I suspect he wouldn’t have done well with the whole time limit issue.

• Love 2