Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday Gingerbread Showdown - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I wish they would spend less time on the drama and show more of the houses.  Or make it a longer show.  There were so many that looked amazing.

I had a good chuckle when the young girl who entered a pirate ship with her brother commented about the taste of an edible sheet of paper they used to make the sails.  She said something like “Edible does not mean tasty.”  She should tell that to the cookie (?) show judge who complained about the taste of isomalt someone used to make window.

• Love 3

I enjoy this show because they spend the most time on showing what the artists are doing instead of "drama."  I wouldn't have the skill or patience to design and construct those impressive creations.  I like having Clinton Kelly as host too.  I do not like the 20 minute penalty part.  It contributes nothing and seems unfair.  Actually, I think requiring a tasting element is totally unnecessary.  

Jorge used to be on the old Challenge quite often and I always liked him.  I was glad he won.  

• Love 3
23 hours ago, mlp said:

I enjoy this show because they spend the most time on showing what the artists are doing instead of "drama."  I wouldn't have the skill or patience to design and construct those impressive creations.  I like having Clinton Kelly as host too.  I do not like the 20 minute penalty part.  It contributes nothing and seems unfair.  Actually, I think requiring a tasting element is totally unnecessary.  

Jorge used to be on the old Challenge quite often and I always liked him.  I was glad he won.  

I thought I'd seen him before!

Jorge looked and sounded familiar to me too, but I couldn’t place him.

I was wondering how they found the two women contestants. They did good work,  but how does someone living in a farmhouse in Moncton New Brunswick get on this show ? I’m pretty clueless about a lot of social media, so maybe they’re famous on Instagram or something?

Dude judge is driving me crazy with the shit about burning the marshmallows and then talking shit about the lady and her bricks. It is her house not yours, I am getting to where I don't like him anymore. So what if you were on some shows, why and how does that make him a judge? Get some people who have been doing this forever and trained in everything before you make this fool a judge because he won some shows, that doesn't make him an expert. He is just becoming annoying douche.

My gosh I thought all were really good. Better than the last season.

Edited by toodywoody
13 hours ago, toodywoody said:

Dude judge is driving me crazy with the shit about burning the marshmallows and then talking shit about the lady and her bricks. It is her house not yours, I am getting to where I don't like him anymore. So what if you were on some shows, why and how does that make him a judge? Get some people who have been doing this forever and trained in everything before you make this fool a judge because he won some shows, that doesn't make him an expert. He is just becoming annoying douche.

My gosh I thought all were really good. Better than the last season.

I thought the point about the bricks was good input, not that she could do anything about it. When you are in a timed competition, why not use a technique that gets you 90% of the effect in 10% (or less) of the time, freeing you up to work on other things?

On the other hand, I don’t find charcoal burnt marshmallows appealing.

• Love 2

I love these gingerbread competitions!  I love the details these artists include in their works of art!  I love the inventive use of techniques and edible materials!  But, Lawdy, honey chile!  I HATE Colonel Cornpone Jason as a judge. Slap mah biscuits and cover me in sorghum syrup! He makes mah blood boil hotter than a wet calico cat, a-tap dancin’ on a rusted tin roof on the Fourth of Ju-LY! (See Jason? Even a born and bred Yankee can spew made up “Southern Fried Sayin’s”).

I know Jason won one of those Best Baker shows, and he was the only ‘home cook’, and he was pretty amazing on that show.  However, ever since, he’s been honing his down-home country bumpkin shtick to the nth degree. And FN keeps encouraging it! Maybe he has done more culinary training since his win, but he doesn’t have the resume, or the same level of expertise as many of the people he is judging.  

So happy Jorg won!  I’ve seen some of his creations at some fundraisers in Boston.  His detail work is beyond amazing.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

I love these gingerbread competitions!  I love the details these artists include in their works of art!  I love the inventive use of techniques and edible materials!  But, Lawdy, honey chile!  I HATE Colonel Cornpone Jason as a judge. Slap mah biscuits and cover me in sorghum syrup! He makes mah blood boil hotter than a wet calico cat, a-tap dancin’ on a rusted tin roof on the Fourth of Ju-LY! (See Jason? Even a born and bred Yankee can spew made up “Southern Fried Sayin’s”).

I know Jason won one of those Best Baker shows, and he was the only ‘home cook’, and he was pretty amazing on that show.  However, ever since, he’s been honing his down-home country bumpkin shtick to the nth degree. And FN keeps encouraging it! Maybe he has done more culinary training since his win, but he doesn’t have the resume, or the same level of expertise as many of the people he is judging.  

So happy Jorg won!  I’ve seen some of his creations at some fundraisers in Boston.  His detail work is beyond amazing.

It’s like he has turned into a caricature of himself. I grew up in Georgia and it’s getting too much for me.

”Lord, honey Chile...l’m more nervous than a pig square dancing at a barbecue in a hot Georgia summer during a solar eclipse”

Me: “Da fuck?”

Jorg was amazing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 10/9/2019 at 7:20 PM, qtpye said:

It’s like he has turned into a caricature of himself. I grew up in Georgia and it’s getting too much for me.

”Lord, honey Chile...l’m more nervous than a pig square dancing at a barbecue in a hot Georgia summer during a solar eclipse”

Me: “Da fuck?”

I saw an interview with him somewhere and apparently he's in on the joke.  Doesn't make it any more palatable, however.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

I saw an interview with him somewhere and apparently he's in on the joke.  Doesn't make it any more palatable, however.

He can be much more likable when he does not take on this persona. I just need him to stop saying "yuuuure underwear is showin" when someone does not cover a part of their piece's structural supports properly.

On 10/8/2019 at 7:35 PM, Rickster said:

Jorge looked and sounded familiar to me too, but I couldn’t place him.

I was wondering how they found the two women contestants. They did good work,  but how does someone living in a farmhouse in Moncton New Brunswick get on this show ? I’m pretty clueless about a lot of social media, so maybe they’re famous on Instagram or something?

I’m guessing that some (maybe most) of the contestants who are unfamiliar to us (and are from small towns) have entered into the National Gingerbread competition that is held at the Omni in Asheville, NC every December.  For the last couple of years, FN has had a 1 hour special showing a select group of gingerbread artisans who enter the national competition and it is fascinating. On a previous season of this haunted gingerbread show, there were a lady and her husband who were profiled on the national competition show and I believe she placed in the top 5 in nationals. Her detailing was exquisite. I’d love to go to the Omni to look at all the entries. They even have a category for children’s entries!

• Love 4

I like Jason a lot and didn't mind his folksy sayings when he was on the first show that he won when they came naturally.  It's pretty obvious now that he throws a lot of them in for effect and I find that as annoying as everyone else does.  I recently read a comment from Jeff Mauro who worked with Jason on some show.  Jeff said that Jason is a hoot behind the scenes and great to work with.  I was happy to learn that.

I wonder how FN groups the contestants on this show.  Jorge and the others on the first episode were terrific and made detailed, impressive displays.  The people last night didn't come close to that level IMO.  It seemed like FN put the most skilled on the first episode and the least skilled on the second.  I'll be interested to see the group next week.  

Usually the judges get up and examine the displays up close.  I noticed that they didn't do that last night.  I wonder why not.  Maybe they did and the producers just didn't show that part for some reason.

• Love 3

This show is just enh for me.  I can't get past gingerbread being a Christmas food and to see it for Halloween is a bit weird. 

Why is Clinton from What Not to Wear hosting this show??  Another thing that just seems out of place.

I actually like Jason a lot and he's the main reason why I watch this show.  I find his folksy saying kinda funny.  I'm from S.C. so I'm used to hearing people talk like this even if it is just played up it's still silly fun.  Plus I like the sequin jackets he wears.  =D

• Love 1

I had to laugh when Jamika said something about the eyeballs being out of scale on the piece with the gourds, and that they looked thrown on.  Well, yeah.  That's what happens when you get an unexpected twist.

Did anyone else think that Tarsha had an unusually bad attitude?  She seemed like she was pretending she didn't mean all those snarky comments, but to me, she definitely did.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

Why is Clinton from What Not to Wear hosting this show??  Another thing that just seems out of place.

Because after "What Not to Wear" he hosted "The Chew," a daytime hour-long cooking/talk show that was on ABC for 7 seasons. He can hold his own in a kitchen and is also good at inventing alcoholic drinks. I am glad to see him back in his element; he's fun.

Not a fan of Capt. Cornpone at all.

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Love 1
On 10/16/2019 at 12:16 AM, Rammchick said:

I had to laugh when Jamika said something about the eyeballs being out of scale on the piece with the gourds, and that they looked thrown on.  Well, yeah.  That's what happens when you get an unexpected twist.

I'm not so convinced that the twists are unexpected.  Why else would a contestant in a gingerbread competition bring picked beets with her?

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

I'm not so convinced that the twists are unexpected.  Why else would a contestant in a gingerbread competition bring picked beets with her?

I had the same thought.  The only other explanation I can think of is that they film this at FN and there is actually down time we don't see after the twist is announced allowing the contestants to go downstairs to Chelsea Market and get what they want to use. 

21 hours ago, mlp said:

I had the same thought.  The only other explanation I can think of is that they film this at FN and there is actually down time we don't see after the twist is announced allowing the contestants to go downstairs to Chelsea Market and get what they want to use. 

That makes good sense, particularly since they all seem to have some sort of recipe to use, and they could figure that out while they're shopping for specialty ingredients.  They're obviously prepared to some extent but whether they know the exact parameters of the twist and have decided how to incorporate it into the piece is unknown.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 1

I also think that at this point you are an absolute fool if you go into a Food Network competition and don't plan on there being a twist. 

It has been their standard formula for years for all kinds of cooking competitions. They only one that didn't do this in recent memory (at least related to baking) is the Greatest Baker show, since I think that is their take on a Great British Bake Off (Baking Show) type show.

Edited by Eliza422
  • Love 8

I hate the dumb twists they insist on doing on all these completion shows!  By now, the bakers must know some stupid half-assed, cobbled together twist will be shoehorned into the theme.  And maybe they get a little advance notice or options of wackadoodle ingredients to select, but it’s all needless.  Just let them bake and create some sugary magic FFS!  I don’t get why there’s always one judge who bitches about the twist either.  Someone always complains that he/she:

1) can ONLY taste the surprise element; “I just wish the the jellied eel we forced you to use didn’t overpower your amazing Italian merengue! All I taste is something ‘fishy’!”

2) can’t taste ENOUGH of the add-on item; “I know you said you melted the popcorn flavored gummy worms into your brown butter caramel, but I’m not getting the gummy, just the butter!”

3) bemoans that the unexpected taste treat looks like “an afterthought” OR their main baked good/display looks “rushed” because the baker ran out of time.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
On 10/9/2019 at 8:56 PM, BusyOctober said:

That's what bugs me about him. Yes he won whatever but does that make him a judge? Is he trained in sugar, gingerbread, pudding, bricks, marshmellows, and everything else. 

He is driving me up the wall with is no it all attitude when he isn't classically trained. They should have judges that have been. 

I've noticed this as I have been watching Halloween Wars also. They bring on people that aren't trained in the same stuff and they are judgemental and all I can say is let's see you try it.

• Love 3

I thought the winner of this episode was pretty clear cut.  The young girl with the awful hair had an interesting display with some great characters.  It's too bad she had a last minute problem with the cotton candy because most everything else looked good.  

I liked Kara.  She was cute and seemed very nice but that tree looked more like a cave and her electrical wires were showing.  

I couldn't imagine how the two men thought their volcano display was good.  They are both pastry chefs and they work at the hotel that hosts the national gingerbread championship.  They must have seen hundreds of marvelous creations over the years yet they came up with a display that was downright ugly and had absolutely no redeeming features.  

I'm going to be very surprised if any of the episode winners come up with something that beats Jorge.  The only person who was close to being his equal was in his episode and is out of the running.

• Love 1

The bigger problem with the tree was the proportions.  There was a unicorn standing right next to it, and if we're to think that a unicorn, if it existed, would be the size of a modern horse, then this one was a Shetland pony 😉  It was only about 2 inches tall.  The other issue with the two cakes that didn't win was the depiction of the mummy -- neither really featured it.  You had to look hard to even find it.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 2

Who won the most recent episode? I lost DirecTv due to a tornado. I looked to see if this episode will be rerun but I missed the rerun. My recording did get the first 15 minutes or so and I recognized the young girl from a FN special of the National Gingerbread Competition in Asheville, NC. As I recall, she did really well and I’m wondering if she had good results on this show?

On 10/20/2019 at 7:27 PM, toodywoody said:

I like Jason. I do wish he would stop over-doing his "southern-isms" but I am pretty sure the network is pushing these. Even though he isn't a trained baker, I do believe he knows a lot about baking and what it takes to make some of these things. I have seen him make a comment about something and the lady(can't remember her name") will agree and even extend the comment. I would much rather see him than some of the other people who have been on shows....I won't mention names Damiamo!

• Love 4

Scares on Elm Street finale: 

Everyone had great details! I loved the tiny elements of Grier’s piece but her Freddy was not that impressive. Jorg’s piece was incredible but he did use too many molds and not enough handcrafted items. He also didn’t use enough gingerbread. I thought Meghan totally deserved the win. Wow, her Freddy was amazing and the owners of the Freddy franchise should buy that piece from her. It was so creepy! Good for her!

I also enjoyed Clinton’s and Gesine’s costumes. Excellent make up! Jamika is so gorgeous and I like her constructive criticism. Jason doesn’t bother me as much as he does some of y’all, honey child (see what I did there). I feel sure TPTB tell him to ramp up the homespun lingo. Isn’t it funny how certain people can irk us and others don’t? I personally can’t stand Ree Ree and Nancy Fuller. Now bring on the Holiday Gingerbread Whatever Championship! 

• Love 3
On 10/23/2019 at 2:21 AM, suebee12 said:

I like Jason. I do wish he would stop over-doing his "southern-isms" but I am pretty sure the network is pushing these. Even though he isn't a trained baker, I do believe he knows a lot about baking and what it takes to make some of these things. I have seen him make a comment about something and the lady(can't remember her name") will agree and even extend the comment. I would much rather see him than some of the other people who have been on shows....I won't mention names Damiamo!

I wasn't a "trained" baker either, but here I am with a bakery for 20+ years. Jason does just fine judging. And at least he doesn't praise them for everything, but has good critiques. Damiano was always a sourpuss.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Jorg’s piece was incredible but he did use too many molds and not enough handcrafted items. He also didn’t use enough gingerbread.

I think it was Grier who mentioned during the 5-hour process that she didn't see a lot of gingerbread in Jorg's piece.  I'm pretty sure there were MINIMUM standards for use of gingerbread in the finished piece - I seem to recall that it had to be at least 80% "edible" parts and of those, something like 60% gingerbread.  I wonder if Jorge didn't meet the gingerbread standard.  I'll be honest, I didn't care much for him.  He was a little too "I NEVER lose" - I loved it when darling litte self-effacing Meghan won.  

• Love 3
On 10/29/2019 at 4:19 PM, Carolina Girl said:

I think it was Grier who mentioned during the 5-hour process that she didn't see a lot of gingerbread in Jorg's piece.  I'm pretty sure there were MINIMUM standards for use of gingerbread in the finished piece - I seem to recall that it had to be at least 80% "edible" parts and of those, something like 60% gingerbread.  I wonder if Jorge didn't meet the gingerbread standard.  I'll be honest, I didn't care much for him.  He was a little too "I NEVER lose" - I loved it when darling litte self-effacing Meghan won.  

I cheered when they announced she won.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I cheered when they announced she won.

Me too.  I was all set for the pompous ass to win and he didn't.

I think that whole 1/2 hour of making them sit out is bullshit.  And the fact that didn't he use it until the final HOUR of the competition (I believe) cemented my dislike for him.  I'd love to see a competitor in one of these challenges say "nice to have the advantage, not going to use it" because it doesn't impact what I'm preparing."  It's different than having the first choice of an ingredient or theme for an entry - but this PUNISHES contestants.  Your mileage of course, may vary, but they need to do away with it.  

• Love 4

I saw the 4 minute teaser for this the other day. I believe it starts on Dec. 1 and the first theme is canine-related, so there should be some good entries. So Paige Davis is hosting instead of Marcella. Eh, I guess Paige is the lesser of the two evils, but I’m not a fan. And as always, there are several familiar faces in the bunch. Looks like perennial FN contestant Reva is assisting Pat who is a 3 time winner at the prestigious national gingerbread competition in Asheville, NC. I hope Kerry Vincent returns as a judge. 

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I love the Gingerbread shows, so much time and work is put in them. I was so glad the man won! His work was beautiful. His dogs were wonderful and the pinata was so creative. Everything about his work was so precise and neat. Plus I really dislike the woman that had Reva for a partner! I didn't like her on the National Gingerbread contest either. She thinks she is the best of the best and isn't shy about telling everyone, too! (you know she invented that special gingerbread stuff....she has told us enough!)She would have done so much better if she had scaled her work back a bit and I really didn't understand why she included that European "thing" on the back of hers. It was out of place and didn't add a thing to the display. She was after Reva so much, I wouldn't have blamed her if she walked out! Can't wait to see what other great creative masterpieces we see this year.

• Love 5

Glad the guy won.  The lady who did the dog-cat chase scene had a great looking house too. As for Pat-Assy...you say you like to work alone?  After your showing here, I don’t think that will be a problem in the future. Doubt there will be many bakers clamoring to share a kitchen with you.  

Paige Davis annoys me slightly less than Marcella, so there’s that tiny bonus.  Looking forward to seeing more of these incredible gingerbread creations.

• Love 7

I agree with all the above about that woman who was a 3X winner of the national competition but Reva was even worse.  She knew when she agreed to be involved that she'd be an assistant and not in charge.  She should have just shut up and done her part.  Reva has been on quite a few FN shows and I've never liked her.  In this case, it was diva vs. diva and nobody won.

I was delighted that Jose won.  He was pleasant and very creative and his piece was attractive and had interesting details.  I thought the judges were good too.  I especially like Adam, partly because he knows what he's talking about and partly because I find him very good-looking.  🙂  I wonder why Kerry Vincent didn't return.

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Paige Davis annoys me slightly less than Marcella

I meant to add that to my own comment and couldn't for some reason.

I can't stand Paige on Trading Spaces but I had no problem with her on this show.  In fact, I wouldn't have even recognized her if I hadn't already known she'd be the host - until I heard her speak that is.  I definitely preferred her to Marcela. 

25 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

The lady who did the dog-cat chase scene had a great looking house too. 

The bakery she works at, Bredenbeck's, is in my neighborhood!  I pass it all the time!  The sample cakes in the window are, like, 10 years old, all faded.  I've had cake from there and sadly, it is not very good.

I'll have to stop by, though, and congratulate her on her really inventive piece.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Paige Davis annoys me slightly less than Marcella, so there’s that tiny bonus.  Looking forward to seeing more of these incredible gingerbread creations.

I'm not wild about Marcella so I was ok with Paige.   Can't stand Molly Yeah so glad she was gone, but was neutral on her Canadian replacement.  Maneet's ok, but a definite downgrade from Kerry.   Can't stand arrogant Adam so wish they had replaced him.   

I know the gingerbread champ isn't a baker and had no staff member to bring, but they've had other contestant bring family or friends without baking skills to help in the past.   I'm guessing no one wanted to work with her especially on TV.   I assume Food Network hooked her up to get her on the show and suggested/provided Reva.  Which also makes me think she was there to play a role and stir up drama.   I actually blame both of them for what happened.  Reva signed up for this, so if she was tasked with pouring windows that what she should have done.   If she's so talented and underused then she should have entered the contest herself.  And as for the other woman, I get that an artist has a vision only they can see and if you're not used to working with someone it's difficult to start.   But she also signed up for this and took on an assistant and she should have had some tact and professionalism.   

• Love 4

Glad the guy won, loved his puppies. Reva....lol...I saw her & went she's an assistant again. This will not go well. And voila. She's hard enough to watch when it's her show all the way. But I do get what she meant by using her for more. Yet if I was used to doing the gingerbread myself, I would be a control freak. Thus why I would never do one of these shows...

• Love 4

So glad Jose won! Pat Ashley may have created her secret gingerbread clay (said in my snootiest voice), but Jose’s technique for those gorgeous bows was amazing! He could do a cake with nothing but those bows on it and I’d be fine with it. I hope he wins the final.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

So glad Jose won! Pat Ashley may have created her secret gingerbread clay (said in my snootiest voice), but Jose’s technique for those gorgeous bows was amazing! He could do a cake with nothing but those bows on it and I’d be fine with it. I hope he wins the final.

I also liked the fact that he readily shared how he made those bows, unlike Pat, who kept her recipe secret.  Yes, these are competitions, but so what?  If you share, you're really going head-to-head with someone who brings their owns skills to bear.  It just puts everyone on the same playing field.

• Love 3
On 12/2/2019 at 2:31 PM, suebee12 said:

I love the Gingerbread shows, so much time and work is put in them. I was so glad the man won! His work was beautiful. His dogs were wonderful and the pinata was so creative. Everything about his work was so precise and neat. Plus I really dislike the woman that had Reva for a partner! I didn't like her on the National Gingerbread contest either. She thinks she is the best of the best and isn't shy about telling everyone, too! (you know she invented that special gingerbread stuff....she has told us enough!)She would have done so much better if she had scaled her work back a bit and I really didn't understand why she included that European "thing" on the back of hers. It was out of place and didn't add a thing to the display. She was after Reva so much, I wouldn't have blamed her if she walked out! Can't wait to see what other great creative masterpieces we see this year.

Yes!  Her whole attitude at the beginning was that her victory was a foregone conclusion.  I wish Reva had walked out on her but that probably would have made her persona non grata at the Food Network.   

• Love 2
On 12/2/2019 at 6:31 PM, mlp said:

I agree with all the above about that woman who was a 3X winner of the national competition but Reva was even worse.  She knew when she agreed to be involved that she'd be an assistant and not in charge. 

Didn't like either one of these ladies... but I agree Reva was worse. The gingerbread lady was full of herself... but, it seemed like Reva couldn't stand not being in the spotlight. The assistant as always been a background player. It's not a 50-50 partnership. Pour the damn isomalt and shut the hell up. Her voice and bragging got on my last nerve. Very immature on her part.

• Love 3

I’m glad I was not a judge for last night’s competition. All three had brilliant ideas, although that one guy was a little OTT in confidence! I can’t believe that the newbie guy has not been in gingerbread competitions before. Loved his chaotic scene with the octopus destroying everything. The lady’s coffee shortage was adorable and so detailed. I really thought she would win.  Her handmade coffee beans and sugar cubes were genius! And the overly confident guy’s ginger-zilla was clever but it wasn’t executed all that well. I still wish Kerry Vincent had returned as a judge.

• Love 5