Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Why Dante Is a Much More Formidable Threat Than Diaz on 'Arrow'
Meredith Jacobs   March 5, 2019
https://www.inverse.com/article/53805-arrow-dante-adrian-paul-spoilers-who-is-the-new-villain

In Season 7, Diggle and Lyla restarted Task Force X as the Ghost Initiative. Because of his connection to Dante, a financier behind dozens of terrorist attacks, they brought on Diaz, the last Big Bad. However, it’s not until Episode 14 that they accomplish anything, mainly getting eyes on Dante (played by Highlander’s Adrian Paul) when he meets with another terrorist to fund her operation.
Diaz never came across as much of a threat, especially not one that Oliver should have had any trouble taking down easily. Earlier in Season 7, Diaz even injected himself with a serum that gave him superstrength, and he still didn’t seem like Big Bad material. That’s likely because his introduction was weak and came at a time when Oliver wasn’t even the Green Arrow, plus it’s still unclear why he planned to let Cayden James blow up Star City when he was the real mastermind and wanted the city for himself.

Dante, on the other hand, slices throats with one move and cuts down Oliver’s arrows before they can hit him with his knives like it’s a walk in the park. He’s behind the funding of so many terrorist attacks and even has people in ARGUS, including the director (one of his victims in this episode), that just the thought of him was enough of a threat for Diggle and Lyla to bring together a group of villains to try to stop him. Diggle even calls Dante “a much larger threat” than Diaz, and we can see why.
One thing is clear: In Dante, Arrow has introduced a major threat for Season 7.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

One thing is clear: In Dante, Arrow has introduced a major threat for Season 7.

I do think they still need to sell this threat in more practical terms to the city and to the Queens.  Right now even though we've finally seen some great moves from Dante, his evil plans are all so far away like learning about a dictator in a far off land.  You understand mentally the potential threat since he has all this power and control and has funded a lot of bad stuff but it doesn't feel urgent in comparison to other things that have come down on Star City since there are no current plans that we know of to even stop.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I do think they still need to sell this threat in more practical terms to the city and to the Queens.  Right now even though we've finally seen some great moves from Dante, his evil plans are all so far away like learning about a dictator in a far off land.  You understand mentally the potential threat since he has all this power and control and has funded a lot of bad stuff but it doesn't feel urgent in comparison to other things that have come down on Star City since there are no current plans that we know of to even stop.  

To be fair, I think that's what the ending with him and Emiko was for, showing that he's either got plans that involve Oliver, that he's behind the attacks in the Glades that Emiko was trying to "stop," or both and more. And now that Oliver and Emiko reached a good spot, it means that whatever plan that involves Oliver is coming sooner. So, all the talk, seeing some action, and now the main character connection.

• Love 1
(edited)

Five Thoughts on Arrow‘s “Brothers & Sisters”
By Michael Mazzacane | March 5th, 2019 
http://www.multiversitycomics.com/tv/arrow-brothers-sisters/

Family and all the forms it takes are front and center for this episode as various types and combinations of brothers and sisters fight it out to protect themselves and one another from equally various threats. One of the central conflicts through out the episode is choosing between family and livelihood. Arrow is at its best when it plays with earnest melodrama, “Brothers & Sisters” leans into that and is an overall solid return episode for the series. The family dynamic creates clear emotional stakes for every conflict, and those stakes will be necessary as Dante is revealed and seems to be staying in town for a little bit.
Ever since Ollie became Johnny Law/Functional Judge Dredd, he’s become a real square. All this enforcing who has the remit to seek “justice”(read: bloody personal vengeance) isn’t very punk or vigilante like. ...
So what are we going to call this motley crew of has been vigilantes and their progeny? New New Team Arrow or NNTA if you nasty. Team Arrow: The Next Generation has a nice ring to it. The flash forwards gives us a nice thematic echo for the episode as William Queen and Mia Smoak get to know their new sibling a bit better. Lamenting that your parents were deeply flawed, some would say terrible, people is always fun with company. Katherine McNamara seems to have more of her Father’s traits, with all that gruff not wanting to deal with your feelings business. Still there was something rather childlike, not in a naïve sense, but the way children are about the mythic idea of their parents when she asked Will about if Pops was a “hero.”
Dante finally makes his appearance, and it left me slightly surprised. Now he isn’t (or at least not yet,) horribly burned looking like Mason Verger warmed over. But would you want to do that to Adrian Paul’s pretty face? Duncan MacLeod is back in a genre show! Overall his casting is a fun nod to better-than-it-has-any-right-to-be 90s genre TV. If Dante wasn’t going to be someone from Spartacus someone like Adrian Paul is the right kind of choice. Much like Ricardo Diaz, a direct emotional connection to Ollie isn’t completely apparent just yet. There is his ominous interactions with Emiko, and an eventual reveal that he was really behind her mothers murder seems like a fitting revelation to tie everything together. Barring these connections he has something of a petty reason to want to make conflict with Team Arrow. Petty connections do not make for good Big Bads, see Dahrke and Diaz. It could be a thing with villains starting with “D” as well.

With Dante’s entrance Ricardo Diaz seems to be taking a permanent exit. This is a character who was left bleeding in a derelict prison cell, but being immolated like that might have a stronger effect. The fire echoes his revenge on that person who wronged him in 6×19 “The Dragon,” but Marcus Stokes and DP Neil Cervin lack the time and space to fully echo the scene. Kirk Acevedo is contracted as a recurring actor so maybe we’ll get something more Dante appropriate out of him before writing him off. Much like Matt Nable, Kirk Acevedo’s performance lacked the scene chewing gravitas of other actors and in Diaz case an emotional reason beyond being a baddie for conflict with Team Arrow. With better material, Acevedo’s choices might have landed better. Overall he was a character the didn’t entirely work and will hopefully be replaced with something better.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

I have not listened to this podcast (it's almost an hour long) - if anyone does, please tell us if he says anything relevant to Arrow...

In The Moment: Acting, Art and Life
Anthony Interviews Echo Kellum

Released March 3, 2019; posted March 5, 2019

Arrow's Mr Terrific, Echo Kellum, discusses his upbringing, career, politics and future ambitions.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Arrow Review: Brothers & Sisters (Season 7 Episode 14)
March 5, 2019  Brianna Martinez
https://www.telltaletv.com/2019/03/arrow-review-brothers-sisters-season-7-episode-14/

While Felicity tries to figure out how to tell Oliver she’s pregnant, Oliver seems to embrace the idea of just offering support to those he loves without trying to sway them from their decisions. I’m always a fan of seeing moments of growth for Oliver and his moment with Felicity on the couch is that moment in the episode.
They each had their own issues stem from Slabside, and I’m glad we’re seeing them deal with it together and openly in a way that shows off growth for both Oliver and Felicity.
Rather, it’s a promising start to repairing the damage that Diggle’s choices made in the first half of the season, and a sign that we may be getting the Diggle we know and love back soon!
The result of this story is a short, but solid OTA moment. I will always be pro-OTA moments. Let’s hope this means we’ll be getting more of the core trio’s team up in the near future. It’s a dynamic that feels like it’s been gone for so very long.
Speaking of the Queen-Smoak children, the depressing vibe of the flashforwards continue with the immediate aftermath of Mia finally telling people who she is at the end of Arrow Season 7 Episode 13, “Star City Slayer.”

These scenes get bleaker as we learn more and though we get promising scenes between the Queen-Smoak siblings, there’s still the fact that these perspectives on what happened to their parents and their respective upbringings is a huge bummer.
If this is the future we’re really getting into, then what was everything that Oliver, Felicity, Diggle, and the others worked so hard and sacrificed so much for?
The deputizing aspect of the arc has started to take its toll on the fun of the vigilante aspect of the show. When the crime-fighting gets bogged down by protocol, like it does when Oliver tries to help Emiko with her own mission, it leaves something to be desired. I get it from the growth perspective, but it still makes him look a little hypocritical at times.
After overstaying his welcome, Diaz is finally gone. In his place is Dante whose promising introduction offers hope of an Adrian Chase or even Slade-level villain coming into the mix, especially with his mysterious connection to Emiko (which reminds me of the Slade/Isabelle story in a way), and the question of who set the Dragon on fire.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

‘Arrow’ recap: 7×14 “Brothers & Sisters”
Lynsey Neill  March 5, 2019
https://www.purefandom.com/2019/03/05/arrow-recap-7x14-brothers-sisters/

We were put on a rollercoaster with “Brothers & Sisters,” and it’s hard to say if we ended this ride going up, reaching a sunny sky, or going down, into a dark pit despair. But hey, that’s Arrow for you. Let’s dive right in!
I don’t know how long I can stomach the Green Arrow working with the SCPD. Not because I think it’s an amoral approach, but because I feel like Oliver is becoming too much like a cop. And that’s not the show we love. He still wears his suit with his bow and arrows, but I won’t be surprised if the SCPD try to take that away too.

Even so, I still don’t feel working this closely with the SCPD is going to last. At least I hope not.
During the flash forwards, Mia’s all “you think my mother is dead, okay, show me the receipts.” AND THEY HAD NO RECEIPTS TO GIVE! Amateurs. Mia, please just take over, honey. This bunch needs a leader.

Meanwhile, the second pair of brothers and sisters try to bond. Meaning, William tries to bond with Mia. And Mia throws a glass at his head. I love her, and I love them together.
Diaz got his just desserts by being burned alive. And I’m so happy! Who else was done with Diaz? Everyone? Okay, cool. (Pssst… I think Black Siren did it)

Also, I wish I can recap this Dante thing effectively, but alas, this storyline has gone right over my head. He’s an evil mastermind, and that’s all I got.
Concurrently, Felicity and Black Siren bond over pregnancy news, and just how awesome Felicity is. And I have never loved Black Siren more. They conspire with trying to kill Diaz after John finally tells Oliver and Felicity that Diaz is in the Ghost Initiative. And Felicity is not having it.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

Adrian Paul on Arrow: Who is Dante, the villain the former Highlander actor plays?
5th March 2019 by Shawn S. Lealos
https://www.monstersandcritics.com/smallscreen/adrian-paul-on-arrow-who-is-dante-the-villain-the-former-highlander-actor-plays/

There can be only one. At least that is what Adrian Paul believed when he was starring on the televised version of Highlander. However, years after putting down his broadsword, Paul is back on TV and this time he is a villain.
Just when it looked like they were going to catch Dante, Diaz betrays them and Dante escapes. However, this scene where it happens shows that Dante is more formidable of a villain than Diaz ever dreamed of being.

When Oliver blasts his arrows at Dante, he uses his blades to slice the arrows out of the air. He is also very powerful behind the scenes and had the director of ARGUS in his back pocket.

To make it even worse, Dante knows Emiko (Sea Shimooka) and it turns out that she is going to betray her brother, as she tells Dante that Oliver trusts her and Dante lets her know it is time “to come home.”

Honestly, it sounds like Dante might be Komodo from the comic books. Appearing first in Green Arrow (Vol. 5) #17, Komodo used to work at Queen Industries and was who betrayed and murdered Robert Queen, before raising Emiko as his own daughter.
Most fans know him from his role as Duncan MacLeod on the television show Highlander: The Series, which lasted for six seasons and 119 episodes. He went on to continue the role in the movie Highlander: Endgame, where Duncan and the original Highlander Connor (Christopher Lambert) met and worked together.
Paul returned seven years later for one more outing in Highlander: The Source.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

For some reason, I found this funny (he's not wrong, though)...

Arrow Reveals Felicity Is Pregnant In Latest Episode
By Eric Joseph  March 5, 2019
https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/arrow-reveals-felicity-pregnant-latest-episode/

Previously, the notion of an “Olicity” baby had been repeatedly shot down by producers, but it’s understandable they wouldn’t confirm anything because they didn’t want to spoil the back half of season 7. But since Oliver Queen has likely been making love like a man who just got out of prison because, well, he’s a man who just got out of prison, it makes sense to pull the trigger on this now.
Of course, baby Mia probably won’t arrive until season 8, but at least everything aligns in a chronological sense. ...

• LOL 3

10 Things You Didn’t Know About Katherine McNamara 
Nat Berman   March 6, 2019
https://www.tvovermind.com/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-katherine-mcnamara/

7. Her Most Recent Role Is In Arrow

Her most recent role is as Blackstar in Arrow and when she first came into the show there was a lot of discussion about who her character really was. The reveal that she was Oliver Queen’s daughter is one of the most surprising twists that the show has ever aired. This also means that it is a role that she may have for some time as the relationship between her and her father is explored.

1. She Is An Only Child
2. She Was An Advanced Student In Some Subjects
3. She Got Her Degree When She Was Seventeen
4. She Started Her Acting Career In Theater
5. She Was In Several Programs On The Disney Channel
6. She Has Won Awards For Her Role In Shadowhunters
7. Her Most Recent Role Is In Arrow
8. She Enjoys Boxing In Her Spare Time
9. She Is A Talented Baker
10. She Shares A Lot Of Backstage Photos On Social Media

1 hour ago, tv echo said:

. The reveal that she was Oliver Queen’s daughter is one of the most surprising twists that the show has ever aired.

Oh really?  The most surprising?  Hahahhaha.  In the fandom I'd say it was the least surprising but one of the most satisfying.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Season 8 will be the final season with 10 episodes.  

https://deadline.com/2019/03/arrowend-with-10-episode-sesaon-8-final-season-canceled-1202570893/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook  

Which can only mean one thing; Infinity Crisis is going to be the WORST.

Edit: Stephen just did a Facebook Live and he said at the end of season 6, he told Greg that at the end of his contract he was ready to move on after this season.  Greg and Stephen agreed to a limited season 8.  They had discussions on Friday with the network and the producers to end the run.  He admits that a lot of his interests "don't reside in Vancouver any more."

He said he will speak more about it soon but you can tell he's emotional about the decision.

Edited by mtlchick
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Trini said:

I wonder why they made the announcement now, and not at the end of the season?

Only thing I can think of is that they are trying to get ahead of the news that they knew would be leaked soon.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Trini said:

I wonder why they made the announcement now, and not at the end of the season?

Since it sounds like the decision to end the show was tied with SA’s contract renewal, which he just finished negotiating, the fact that the show only had a limited run would be announced to the rest of the cast, crew, and writers so they can start to make their own plans. 

Edit: Just speculating, but allowing the cast and crew to time to audition and find new jobs is probably also the reason for a 10 episode run. They’ll wrap before pilot season.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm surprised and not surprised about Arrow ending.

Surprised that the CW would cancel something that probably could have lasted, on the CW at least, for several more seasons (just look at Supernatural).

Not surprised by the fact that Stephen Amell has gotten a lot less screentime this season and what he has been given he doesn't seem particularly interested in.

Having said that, kudos to him for creating a great show (the first few seasons at least) and putting the other CW DC TV series on the map. He should be proud of what he has achieved.

I hope him and the cast and crew move on to bigger and better things.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Quark said:

Surprised that the CW would cancel something that probably could have lasted, on the CW at least, for several more seasons (just look at Supernatural).

Not surprised by the fact that Stephen Amell has gotten a lot less screentime this season and what he has been given he doesn't seem particularly interested in.

CW didn't cancel Arrow, SA quit. He said it himself, Berlanti, MG, Beth and WB tried to figure out a way to keep Arrow going without Oliver/SA but, they ultimately realized it wasn't viable without SA.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

CW didn't cancel Arrow, SA quit. He said it himself, Berlanti, MG, Beth and WB tried to figure out a way to keep Arrow going without Oliver/SA but, they ultimately realized it wasn't viable without SA.

Oh, my bad 😛

14 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Season 8 will be the final season with 10 episodes.  

https://deadline.com/2019/03/arrowend-with-10-episode-sesaon-8-final-season-canceled-1202570893/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook  

Which can only mean one thing; Infinity Crisis is going to be the WORST.

Edit: Stephen just did a Facebook Live and he said at the end of season 6, he told Greg that at the end of his contract he was ready to move on after this season.  Greg and Stephen agreed to a limited season 8.  They had discussions on Friday with the network and the producers to end the run.  He admits that a lot of his interests "don't reside in Vancouver any more."

He said he will speak more about it soon but you can tell he's emotional about the decision.

Wow. I had a feeling he'd leave after next season and that the show was attempting to wean out the original with the stupidass, lameasstastic flash forwards, but I guess they discovered there is no Arrow without Amell. I will admit, a very teeny tiny part of me is snickering that it didn't outlast Smallville. Now, I had my issues with Smallville during and after season 8, but that's another topic altogether. 

(edited)

‘ARROW’ 7×14 REVIEW: ‘BROTHERS AND SISTERS’ 
ALYSSA BARBIERI MARCH 6, 2019
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-7x14-review-brothers-and-sisters/

It’s not often that you find me praising Arrow of late, especially when it comes to how it handles its characters — especially when it comes to the handling of its characters. But the episode “Brothers and Sisters” reminded me that Arrow is capable of delivering solid episodes that understand who its characters are. And, honestly, I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or bad thing. Do I get my hopes up that we’ll see more of this? Or will I once again be fooled into believing they’ll deliver these characters to us week after week?
When it comes to couples with a strong foundation, Olicity is near the top. Despite what these writers have forced and inflicted on them, it’s that foundation that has made them strong and have allowed them to have the successful marriage they have. They’re the reason that so many people have gravitated towards this show, aside from the comic aspect. They’re the reason I’m still watching. And while I’m convinced Arrow continuously underutilizes them, Oliver and Felicity continue to remain the good in the world of Arrow.
Now, let’s talk about that pregnancy reveal. While I would’ve appreciated the moment where Felicity tells Oliver she’s pregnant be given its proper appreciation — longer than 15 seconds — I’m honestly thrilled that we got the scene. Arrow has been known to ignore those moments and have them happen off screen. But in those precious seconds, where we got Felicity eating mint chip ice cream (a nice callback) and telling Oliver that she wants their “children to know that they’re the most important thing” and his bewildered look at the mention of “children” and Felicity telling him with that smile and Oliver’s heartwarming reaction. It was perfect. And you bet your ass I want protective Oliver; I want all the cutesy pregnancy moments with them. GIVE IT TO ME, ARROW.
As far as the superior brother and sister relationship in the aptly titled “Brothers and Sisters,” William and Mia easily take the cake. Not only is it the fact that these are Oliver and Felicity’s children on our screens — how amazingly insane is that?! — but watching them come to terms with the fact that they have a sibling and what that means was intriguing. They have a shared goal: Find Felicity. Because in spite of whatever happened in this weird (hopefully alternate) future timeline, Felicity is their mother and they’re going to find her. Because she’s still alive. DUH. I loved how we got to see these strangers slowly coming to terms with the fact that they have a sibling. They are each other’s family. And that’s a dynamic I’m excited to see evolve in coming episodes. Obviously it’s not going to be immediate. But you started to see little bits of progress that’s going to continue throughout. And I can’t wait to see where their journey takes them.
If this show was all Oliver, Felicity, Diggle, and Lyla on missions I would love this show more than any other show and that is fact. In fact, they’re the only reason I’m still watching this show. Well, for them and their kids. Getting to see Oliver & Felicity and Diggle & Lyla on a mission together and out in the field — no NTA distractions showed Arrow in its element. It showed the potential of just how good this show could be in its seventh season. The core of this show has always been OTA (and Lyla is an honorary member, let’s be honest.) Once this show got away from that, that’s when it started to really decline. Forcing new characters on Team Arrow and taking away from preexisting relationships was infuriating. But it’s these episodes that make me both happy and angry. Happy because I love these four characters more than anything. Angry because this show really has no idea what it has in them.
I like that, for once, Arrow didn’t wipe Dig’s actions under the rug. They had him own up to his mistakes. He acknowledged how he let Felicity down that last time. We saw him take the fall for his wife. HE IS PROTECTING THOSE HE LOVES LIKE JOHN DIGGLE DOES. GOD I HAVE MISSED THIS MAN.
I have never enjoyed a 30-second scene on this show — that didn’t have to do with Olicity or OTA — than I did watching Ricardo Diaz go up in literal flames. Not only did his plan to escape fail drastically — as if you could outsmart Oliver, Felicity, Diggle, and Lyla — but karma finally found Diaz in a cramped cell and brought him down in a blaze of glory. I know that the question is supposed to be — OMG who did it?! But honestly, I don’t care. I just am glad someone finally killed this worthless, non-threatening villain that was the worst in the history of this show. But now that you mention it, I’d like to know who did it so I can send them a fruit basket with my sincere gratitude. (Perhaps it’s Laurel trying to protect Felicity? Though I doubt this show even knows who it is at this point.) I’d say it was a good time, but that character and the actor that portrayed him were downright awful. Good riddance. Have fun burning in hell, Diaz.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

This article includes a nice collection of fan reactions...

21 Tweets About ‘Arrow’ Ending That Prove Just How Much the Show Meant to Fans
Casey Perriccio  March 7, 2019
https://fanfest.com/2019/03/07/21-tweets-about-arrow-ending-that-prove-just-how-much-the-show-meant-to-fans/

Over the past seven years, Arrow has touched and changed the lives of fans all over the world, bringing them together on social media and in real life at conventions and other events. So, it’s safe to say that the news of its final season hit the fandom hard. They’re taking to the internet to talk about why Arrow meant so much to them and to thank the actors, writers, and crew who brought these beloved characters to life. Here are some of our favorite farewell tweets!

• Love 2
(edited)

Arrow Season 7 Episode 14 Review: “Brothers and Sisters” 
Chris King  March 7, 2019
https://www.tvovermind.com/arrow-season-7-episode-14-review-brothers-and-sisters/

After a three-week break and following an episode that revealed that Katherine McNamara’s Blackstar is actually Mia Smoak, this week’s family-centric hour of Arrow, appropriately titled “Brothers and Sisters,” continues the CW series’ hot streak. The episode provides viewers with a couple surprising twists, an (apparent) character death that is long overdue, and some wonderfully satisfying emotional moments. ...

Let’s begin with the last of these exchanges: Felicity sharing the news with Oliver that she’s pregnant and Oliver figuring out this information just a couple seconds before she outright says it, pretty much as soon as she uses the word “children.” It’s a great scene for numerous reasons, from Stephen Amell perfectly capturing Oliver’s mind slowly but surely connecting the dots to the fact that the writer’s chose to have Oliver be speechless, showing that he’s overwhelmed with emotion but also emphasizing the fact that what Felicity just said before, the words before she uttered, “I’m pregnant,” are significant enough to stand on their own. “What our family needs is a fresh start, one in the light, like you’re doing,” Felicity says to Oliver. “I want our children to know that they are the most important thing to us and that we would do anything, anything, for them.” That statement from Felicity carries more weight than the reveal that she is pregnant, because it stems from her rediscovering her own strength, the knowledge that she doesn’t have to act out violently because of fear but can be a better hero, person, and mother, just like she has always been.

Felicity recognizes the darkness that erupts inside of her anytime Diaz appears to be a threat, and at first, she leans into that darkness, believing that it may be the only way to save her family and, in particular, her soon-to-be born daughter, Mia. But Black Siren with her words and Oliver and Diggle with their actions help remind Felicity that falling victim to her worries, as real as they may be, is not the answer—facing these fears, fighting them, and ultimately rising above them is what she needs to do, because, as Black Siren tells Felicity, she has “nothing to be afraid of” and she is more than capable of protecting her family just like she has in the past.

Although Black Siren’s awesome pep talk, Oliver’s insistence on fighting in the light in recent years, and Diggle’s attempts to repair his and Felicity’s friendship (more on that in a bit) definitely influence Felicity’s decision to not shoot and kill Diaz when she has the chance, it’s also important that Felicity makes this choice on her own without anyone else around her. Sure, those closest to Felicity can support her and give her advice and listen to her concerns, but ultimately, this rejection of the darkness had to come from her and her alone. When it’s just her and Diaz in that hallway, the words of Black Siren or the actions of Oliver may be bouncing around in Felicity’s mind, but she chooses to spare Diaz’s life not because of outside influences but because of the life growing inside of her. Felicity wants to be the best person she can be not because Team Arrow is now deputized and not because it’s what some people expect of her. She wants to be her best self because it’s what she knows her daughter deserves. Even before she’s born, Mia Smoak is saving her mother’s life, serving as the inner flame that reignites the strength that has always been inside of Felicity.
- I could watch an entire episode of Mia and William working together to track down Felicity, swapping childhood stories and sharing memories of their parents. Also, William’s response to Mia asking “What’s an answering machine?” was priceless.
- So Diaz is burned alive at the end of the episode, but I’ve thought he was dead in the past. Until I actually see the body, I’m going to just assume that he, unfortunately, survived. And whether he’s dead or alive, I will still always wonder what the hell was going through the Arrow writers’ minds when they decided that Ricardo Freaking Diaz was going to be the longest-lasting villain the series has ever seen.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Lol Leanne seems to be cutting loose now that show is ending! She's always been an Olicity shipper but now she sounds like she's going all out about it😂

I love her for it! Shes right IMO! 😄🤣

(edited)

ARROW MAY BE ENDING AFTER SEASON 8, BUT IT CHANGED SUPERHERO TV FOREVER
BY JESSE SCHEEDEN   7 MAR 2019
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03/07/arrow-season-8-last-season-cw-cancelled-legacy-batwoman-arrowverse

Serialized Superhero Storytelling

Arrow is perhaps the first superhero TV series to truly embrace the heavily serialized storytelling approach that makes comic books so fun to read. That's not to say no superhero series pre-Arrow ever dabbled in serialized storytelling. But no shows used that model as heavily or effectively. Smallville (basically the proto-Arrow) often tended towards "monster of the week" episodes as much as it did more story-driven fare.
On Arrow, there's always been a steady, constant narrative progression from one episode to the next. Each episode builds to a major climax at the end of the season. Even as it set up the confrontations between Oliver Queen and villains like Malcolm Merlyn and Slade Wilson, it was already laying seeds for the following season. And all the while, the recurring flashbacks chronicled the extensive saga of Ollie's five-year evolution from spoiled rich kid to hardened vigilante.

That storytelling model has carried over to all the Arrowverse spinoffs and other superhero projects to boot. Even Netflix's Marvel shows probably owe a debt of gratitude to the Arrowverse for proving that fans will keep coming back to watch a complex superhero saga slowly unfold, piece by piece. It's also surely a major reason why Arrow and its sister shows have always done so well on Netflix. They're incredibly binge-worthy.

Making 'Comic Book-y' Cool
When Arrow kicked off in 2012, the series was clearly borrowing several pages from the Dark Knight playbook. The look and tone of the series skewed very much in that dark, severe, relatively grounded direction. But over time, Arrow lost whatever sense of self-consciousness it might once have had. It started slowly in Season 2 - a Batman reference here, a super-strength serum there - and quickly grew with the introduction of true metahuman characters like The Flash, the immortal Ra's al Ghul, actual magic, and even the DC multiverse itself.
Comparing the current season of Arrow to the show's first year is like night and day. Oliver Queen has crossed dimensions, fought speedsters, monsters, and his own Nazi doppelganger - and bumped elbows with Superman. And for all that, Arrow is still a fairly grounded show compared to its spinoffs. Far from trying to mimic the approach of the Dark Knight movies, the Arrowverse has become a place that happily embraces the campiest elements of the source material.

A True DC Universe

Prior to Arrow, Smallville was pretty much the biggest and best showcase for what was possible with a live-action version of the DC Universe on the small screen. But even Smallville was just one series. Arrow took things a giant step further by spawning multiple spinoffs - The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, and, most likely, Batwoman this fall - and establishing a true shared universe on the small screen.
The Arrowverse is a vast place comprising hundreds of episodes of TV across numerous series (not even counting the animated web series and comic book tie-ins). And it's one that frequently rewards viewers who follow along with every show. When Felicity Smoak needs a little added brain power, she can just call up her friends at STAR Labs. When Team Flash has a problem with an escaped metahuman criminal, ARGUS director Lyla Michaels usually isn't far behind. Every so often, these shows cross over in more direct and significant ways. In this shared universe, some characters can pull up stakes and make a permanent home on a completely different series. Just look at how Sara Lance went from Arrow supporting player to leader of the Legends of Tomorrow.

Without the Arrowverse, we might never have gotten Netflix's interconnected Marvel shows or the shared universe being established by shows like Titans and Doom Patrol. It proved that superhero TV can be bigger than any one show.

Establishing the Berlanti Brand
Big Screen Production Values

Historically, there's always been a stark difference in what we see from big-budget superhero movies and what's possible on the small screen. No one would ever mistake Smallville or Lois & Clark for lavish theatrical productions. Arrow has played an instrumental role in bridging that gap and showing just how much can be accomplished on a weekly basis.

Even before Arrow kicked open the door to the wider DCU, the show boasted higher production values and more elaborately staged fight scenes than fans were used to seeing. It doesn't hurt that actors like Stephen Amell, David Ramsey, and Manu Bennett are legitimately built like superheroes and can bring a higher level of physicality to their roles. As much as Ollie's fondness for the salmon ladder and shirtless training montages became a running gag in those early seasons, the fact that Amell actually performed those feats himself brought a real credibility to the series.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

HOW ARROW CHANGED SUPERHERO TELEVISION
by Erik Amaya | March 7, 2019
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/how-arrow-changed-superhero-television/

1. IT CHANGED THE TONE OF ACTION
Don’t let Felcity Smoak’s (Emily Bett Rickards) quips fool you: Arrow was a serious show from the jump. Some might even say it was too serious. Unlike the warm dynamic of Smallville, Arrow’s Oliver Queen was a lone brooding vigilante on a crusade to kill Starling City businessmen who failed the town and its people. It was an adjustment to say the least, but it re-framed the television superhero from the kids stuff of the 20th century or the teen feel of Smallville to a grounded action show.

In doing so, it upped the ante for on-screen violence and action scenes. In its first few years, the Arrow stunt team changed the way fights were shot. And while some would deny it, the hallway fights of Daredevil can be traced directly back to the work Arrow did first as it made vigilante justice look painful and real.

Beyond the fights, it also tried to address Oliver’s trauma from a more realistic place. While it may not have completely succeeded in that mission, it did open the door for heroes to recognize their faults in more compelling ways.

2. IT SHOWCASED CHARACTERS FROM DEEP WITHIN THE LIBRARY
While Smallville pulled Green Arrow out of relative obscurity, Arrow excelled at showcasing lesser-known characters from the DC Comics library. Felicity, for example, was so obscure that her creator was surprised to see her on a TV show (and DC eventually compensated him for using the character). While not a one-to-one match of the original Felicity Smoak, she proved deep pulls from the library could make the series richer. Just imagine what the show would be like without Felicity bringing some levity to the deep-voiced seriousness of Ollie and John Diggle (David Ramsey).
... Arrow proved obscure characters could shine if given the right showcase.

3. IT PROVED A TV UNIVERSE COULD WORK
Integrating obscure characters helped Arrow pull off an important feat for a single television series: It created a sprawling TV universe. Sure, the heyday of NBC’s Must-See TV saw different crossover variations (characters would appear on one another’s shows, or events — like, say, a blackout — would affect each show on a given evening). But a real, consistent sense of continuing unity between shows was practically unheard of for a variety of reasons.
4. IT CODIFIED THE SUPPORT TEAM
While there are precursors to Felicity’s role as Overwatch — Oracle on Birds of Prey, for example — the notion of “the man in the chair” and the support team really evolved on Arrow. In its earliest episodes, Oliver operated alone before finally letting Dig — who was his bodyguard at the time — in on his secret. A few episodes later, Felicity joined the team and forever changed the dynamic of superheroes on television by giving them support teams.

Sure, Clark had his parents and a few friends to advise him or help with investigations on Smallville, but Team Arrow was something different. And as a consequence, every subsequent Berlanti-produced superhero show — and some not produced by his company — developed the support team from the start. Look at S.T.A.R. Labs and the way the communication between the Flash and the Cortex evolved from the earpieces Oliver and Diggle used to keep in contact with Felicity. The constant, immediate communication between the hero and “the man in the chair” is now an integral part of the TV superhero grammar.
5. IT GAVE US JOHN DIGGLE
For all the ways it imported elements from the comics and made those things work, Arrow also contributed one incredible new idea to the lore: John Diggle. First Oliver’s bodyguard (although that didn’t last too long), the man is more his brother at this point than anything else. He was even the first person to put on the hood after Oliver. Named, in part, after Green Arrow: Year One writer Andy Diggle, John lived a full life well before the series began, and many of his storylines revolve around confronting his past. ...

And because he became such a key part of Arrow’s dynamic, DC Comics introduced its own version of John Diggle in 2013’s Green Arrow #24. While some aspects of the character are different, the comic book Diggle was also the first to learn of Oliver’s nighttime occupation. The two worked together for a time, but their relationship is more fractious than their television counterparts — which is incredible considering Diggle’s departures from Team Arrow and that drag-down fight he and Ollie had a season ago.

But Diggle’s continued presence on the show proves a television series based on a comic book can offer the source material something worthwhile. It happened before with Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya from Batman: The Animated Series, but Dig is the live-action test case for the same phenomenon. Also, he’s just a really great character.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
(edited)

Despite the headline, only 16 episodes are listed in the article...

20 essential Arrow episodes you need to watch
CHANCELLOR AGARD March 08, 2019
https://ew.com/tv/20-essential-arrow-episodes/

"Pilot" (Season 1, Episode 1)
 ... By the end of it, Oliver (Stephen Amell) has killed enough people to let you know that this isn’t going to be like other superhero shows you’ve seen. Plus, it introduces one of the show’s most iconic visuals: the salmon ladder.
"Muse of Fire"/"Vendetta" (Season 1, Episodes 7 and 8
"The Odyssey" (Season 1, Episode 14)
These days Arrow is very much about the ensemble, but it took a while for the series to get to that point. In fact, that journey toward any sense of a team began with this episode, which saw quirky tech-genius Felicity (the scene-stealing Emily Bett Rickards) not only find out Oliver’s secret after his mother shot him, but also agree to help him with his mission. The other great thing about “The Odyssey” is that it’s a flashback-heavy hour that also shows the moment when Oliver started training with Slade Wilson (Manu Bennett) to become the vigilante he is in the present.
"Sacrifice" (Season 1, Episode 23)
"League of Assassins" (Season 2, Episode 5)
Arrow started to open itself up even more to the DC Comics mythos in season 2 with the introduction of both Caity Lotz as Black Canary and the storied League of Assassins.
"The Scientist"/"Three Ghosts" (Season 2, Episodes 8 and 9)
"The Promise" (Season 2, Episode 15)
"Unthinkable" (Season 2, Episode 23)
The season 2 finale contains so many great moments — from Team Arrow and the League fighting Slade’s Mirakuru soldiers, to that Oliver and Felicity’s moment at Queen Manor — but the one that will forever stand out to me is how seamlessly the episode moves between the past and present during Oliver and Slade’s final confrontation. That entire fight remains one of the show’s best setpieces. 
"The Climb" (Season 3, Episode 9)
"Left Behind"/"Midnight City"/"Uprising" (Season 3, Episodes 10, 11, and 12)
"Public Enemy" (Season 3, Episode 18)
"Beacon of Hope" (Season 4, Episode 17)
Team Arrow vs. a swarm of bees. Who said Arrow doesn’t know how to have fun? 
"Invasion!" (Season 5, Episode 8
"Kapiushon" (Season 5, Episode 17)
"Lian Yu" (Season 5, Episode 23)
"Brothers in Arms" (Season 6, Episode 17) 
Amell and Ramsey channel six seasons worth of history into one epic argument and fight, and it’s quite a thing to behold. 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Some of these ideas made me laugh, some made me want to cry, and some befuddled me...

10 Mindblowing Ways That Arrow Could Go Out With A Bang
Jack Morrell   March 7, 2019
https://whatculture.com/tv/10-mindblowing-ways-that-arrow-could-go-out-with-a-bang

10. One Last Showdown With Deathstroke
... Let's say a single vial of Mirakuru remains, and someone with a grudge against Queen (kind of spoilt for choice there) doses his best frenemy up and points him at Star City.

With a psychotic Deathstroke on the rampage and the freedom to do anything they like with their large ensemble cast, that final ten episode season just hit the ground running. No one is safe.
9. Eight Seasons And A Movie
But what if Warner decided to add to their increasingly standalone DC cinematic output by greenlighting a Green Arrow movie? And what if they wanted to cast the guy who helped make a show about an effete Robin Hood knock off so compelling that it inspired the creation of a whole television universe?
8. Headed To Spin-Off City
But the most exciting possibility would involve a new take on the Birds Of Prey concept. They've already teased comparisons between Oracle and Felicity with her paralysing spinal injury in season 4. What's to stop a widowed Overwatch recruiting the reformed Laurel Lance as the new Black Canary and setting up shop in Bludhaven?
7. The Damned Joker
By the time Arrow winds up, it's likely that we'll be halfway through Batwoman's first season - and what better way to pass the torch than to have a crossover event, bringing the world's scariest mass murderer from Gotham to Star City.
6. The Darkest Timeline
Let's make this the darkest timeline possible, the dirt worst time for anyone to be alive in Star City. I mean Old Testament, real wrath-of-God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies, rivers and seas boiling, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together – mass hysteria.

Then let's give the few heroes that are left the slimmest chance at changing things, risking whatever they have left on one chance at setting their world right again. No one is guaranteed to get out alive, and this changes everything. Those are some high stakes to end Arrow with the biggest bang possible.
5. Just Like Butch & Sundance
It's been referenced over and over in the popular culture of the last fifty years: the last stand of the doomed heroes. If the Green Arrow has to go out, why not have him go out in a blaze of glory?

Picture the finale, as he takes on too many, far too many bad guys to foil the villain/protect his family/save his city. He runs out of arrows, is stabbed once, twice. His bow breaks, but he rallies to beat down the last of the first, then the second wave. Help is coming... but not fast enough. This is it. Here they come again.

Time for one last emotional Olicity moment, one last desperate battle on a rooftop... and fade to black, the sound of the fight continuing for what feels like forever. They find him, barely alive, beneath a pile of bodies, just in time to say goodbye. What a way to go.
4. Retirement... But Not On This Earth
And then there's the other option, the one at the opposite end to Oliver-dies-everyone-is-so-sad. Oliver lives. Felicity and his family lives. He gets to retire, safe and sound.

But with the huge number of enemies that Oliver Queen, the Hood, the Arrow and the Green Arrow have collectively amassed over the years, is there really any safe place for the Queen family to retire to? We've all seen this movie before. Just when he thought he was out, they come to his home, guns blazing, and tragedy ensues.

Who wants to be looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life? Where on earth could possibly be safe for him? Well... what if it wasn't on earth? Our earth, I mean.

We have Star Labs and their inexplicable ability to find oddball alternate Earths. One of those Earths has to be safe for a retired superhero and his family - free of nemeses, psychopaths with delusional grudges, criminal syndicates with history, terrorists with agendas and government agencies with long memories.

It might not be as dramatic as the blaze of glory finale, but perhaps Oliver's earned a shot at actual happiness.
3. A Quest To Find The Batman
2. Passing The Torch To A New Arrow
Whatever happens to Oliver, the odds are really good that, come the series finale, the Green Arrow will be a woman.
1. Oliver Sacrifices Himself In The Crisis On Infinite Earths

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

I wanted to quote this entire article but had to settle for quoting portions (fyi, Thea referred to Felicity as "the world's greatest mathematician" in 616-The Thanatos Guild)...

‘Arrow’: Here’s why Felicity Smoak is amazing
Lynsey Neill  March 8, 2019
https://www.purefandom.com/2019/03/08/arrow-heres-why-felicity-smoak-is-amazing/

When we first met her we gazed lovingly at the red pen she was chewing on, laughed at her fumbling attempts at acting normal in front of a Star City “celebrity,” and even admired her astute observation that yes, Oliver Queen is full of sh*t, but there is just something about him.
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
Saying that Felicity is a woman of STEM is an understatement. Not only is she the Best™ when it comes to all-things-code, she’s known to have talents behind a microscope and has even been called “the worlds greatest mathematician.”

Felicity Smoak, MIT Class of ’09, is one of the 37.1% of female characters in STEM. It’s pretty rare seeing a woman with Felicity’s intellect represented, and that no doubt makes her a special and vital part of the television landscape.

Strong, Graceful, Compassionate, Witty, and Flawed
Felicity Smoak brings a levity to everyone she interacts with (meaning, she makes everyone more likable… I said what I said). It’s an irrefutable fact. I have seven seasons worth of receipts.

She handles hardship with grace and strength. When she becomes privy to another persons pain, and real life struggles, she never approaches it with judgement. It’s always compassion with Felicity. Followed by the possibly ill-timed but heart warming joke.

However, Felicity Smoak is not perfect. She’s flawed just like the rest of us. She can be passive aggressive and socially awkward. And maybe even a little cutthroat. Okay, she can be very cutthroat when she feels boxed in a corner. And nobody puts Felicity in a corner.
Proud wearer of glasses and ponytails
When you think about women on The CW (especially in the earlier years), you think of the patented long wavy hair on a tall pretty person.

And Felicity Smoak is beautiful (smoakin’ even), but in that aspect she wasn’t a traditional love interest. She wears glasses, and keeps her hair up and is unapologetically nerdy. Seeing that facet of a female character that wears all these things and is still seen as desirable, sexy, capable, and beautiful… was very rewarding. And wasn’t seen a lot on TV.
I am so grateful for her. For inspiring me. For making me laugh. Making me cry. It’s going to be hard not having new episodes of ‘Felicity and Friends’ to look forward to when the series ends. But hey, that’s what fanfic and Netflix is for.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6
(edited)

Just speculation...

DC TV Watch: Will Oliver Queen Make It to the End of 'Arrow' Alive?
MARCH 09, 2019 8:15am PT by Sydney Bucksbaum
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dc-tv-watch-arrow-series-finale-predictions-will-oliver-die-1192838

What it means: The series that created the Arrow-verse is responsible for shaping the state of comic book fare on TV today, kickstarting a new wave of small screen adaptations, but it couldn't last forever. The next and final season will be shortened, consisting of 10 episodes, enough to get the series to the Crisis On Infinite Earths crossover as well as wrap up its individual show storyline and say goodbye to all (or most? more on that below) of the characters. The annual crossover event usually happens around episode 8 or 9 each season (although it's no guarantee Crisis will follow this trend), meaning the Arrow series finale will rightfully be its own beast, separate from the massive adaptation coming next fall. 
So real talk: it's more than likely that Oliver is not going to make it to the end of Arrow alive. He'll probably die in the Crisis crossover (along with another hero to balance out the odds), giving Arrow one or potentially two episodes after that (depending on when the Crisis crossover is slated to air next fall) to mourn his loss and send off the show in a way to honor the hero's legacy. But while Oliver's death is a way for the long-running series to go out in a blaze of glory, that doesn't mean every Arrow character will be forced to say goodbye as well.

The Arrow-verse has become well-known in sharing its characters across all four series, Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow (plus the upcoming, likely-to-be-ordered-to-series Batwoman, currently in production on its pilot). Some characters like Katie Cassidy briefly jumped shows for mini-arcs, while others like Caity Lotz and Brandon Routh permanently swapped series for good. Depending on which actors are still game for playing in the Arrow-verse, this might not be the last fans see of original favorites. And taking into account how Arrow has jumped forward into the future with the flash forward storyline in season seven, aging up some characters and introducing a new generation of vigilantes, the show still has a future even long past its series finale if characters end up continuing on to different shows. (Also solid evidence Oliver is going to die in this crossover: he's talked about in the past tense in the future storyline as if his death happened a long time ago, rather than Felicity's (Emily Bett Rickards) "death" that happened recently and which the characters don't believe actually happened.)

But at this point, there's no way of knowing what the shared universe has in store for the fans. It's all just speculation based on the comics and trends set forth by the shows over the past five years.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

How ‘Arrow’s Final Season Has the Potential to Be as Groundbreaking as Its First
BY LACY BAUGHER      MARCH 8, 2019
http://collider.com/arrow-season-8-ending/

The CW series, which launched in 2012, was the first of its kind. At the time, the idea of a weekly superhero property, telling comic book style stories on the small screen was basically unheard of. Sure, there had been Smallville, Lois and Clark and a few other shows of that ilk, but they weren’t that interested in their comic book origins.

Arrow was, and it changed the idea of what superhero television could both do and be.

The show embraced serial storytelling, complicated characters and occasionally outlandish twists. It made comic book stories cool, infusing the show with incredible stunt work, dark subject matter and swoony romance. It proved that superhero stories could be just as compelling on the TV screen as they were in the movie theater, and that they could succeed on a relatively modest budget. Arrow broke new ground in virtually every way imaginable.

Arrow’s success is also the reason the CW’s shared DC comics universe even exists. The adventures of Oliver Queen have ultimately given rise to five additional shows to date (The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, Black Lightning and the upcoming Batwoman), as well as an annual multi-series crossover event that’s basically the biggest thing on the network. Over the years, the aptly-named Arrowverse has not only proven that a true shared universe with characters that exist across its various properties is not just a workable prospect, but something that can be truly great.
It’s oddly fitting that Arrow will be the first of the DC television properties to come to an end. After all, it showed everyone else how to be a superhero TV show in the first place, it should probably get the chance to model how to wrap one up, too. Given that the CW has decided early on that Arrow will finish with Season 8, there’s time to sort out exactly how that should happen and to set the course which all these other series will likely follow. Eventually.
There is something poetic about Oliver going out in a selfless blaze of glory to save the friends he cares about. (And maybe the multiverse too, while he’s at it.) It would be an appropriate coda to his journey from selfish Star City playboy to selfless savior. Heartbreakingly sad, to be sure, but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad choice. It’s the hero’s ending Oliver has earned, even if it may not be the one most fans want for him.

That said, it’s equally possible that he and Felicity ride off into the sunset of superhero retirement. Arrow is the CW superhero series that’s been the most grounded in reality, after all. It’s largely told the stories of regular people. Most of Team Arrow and their associates – a couple of Canaries aside – are everyday types who fight bad guys with the help of a serious trainer and fancy technology. They’re not metahumans, aliens, or time travelers. Maybe their leader deserves a more normal conclusion to his story, one that would allow him to reappear on anniversary specials every few years.

We don’t know which way Oliver’s story will end yet. But we do know this: The way Arrow decides to end its run will reverberate long after the series ends. It will set the tone for every series finale to follow, and establish what to expect going forward as the Arrowverse evolves into its next phase.
The most likely scenario of all, however, is that some number of Arrow’s characters might be folded into a new series of their own.

The idea of Beth Schwartz-led Birds of Prey series is exciting for any number of reasons, and the prospect of a female-led team-up has never felt timelier. In a perfect world, Laurel, Dinah and Felicity could headline this effort, with occasional visits from Sara, Thea, Nyssa or any new Arrowverse woman that might need a female-friendly launching pad.

Arrow itself has attempted to launch the idea of an in-universe version of the Suicide Squad several times, even going so far as rebranding the group “The Ghost Initiative” to get around the weird rules involving the WB’s DC film universe. Season 7’s version hasn’t been that great, largely because it featured Worst Villain Ever Ricardo Diaz, but there’s no reason an adaptation with the freedom to pick and choose the best of Arrow’s bad guys couldn’t succeed.

Edited by tv echo

I'm going to have to object that Smallville didn't care about comic origins while Arrow did. I think they both cared about comics in similar measure. They would use comic ethos when it helped or was necessary to the storyline and do their own thing when they felt they had or liked something better. I mean even if for some bizarre reason Clark didn't suit up as Superman until the last episode he was still basically him in every other way in terms of his heroism. Also I thought I'd read Arrow evolved from an idea of the CW originally spinning off Justin Hartley's Oliver Queen? 

• Love 2

MG has said multiple times that they were writing to the chemistry that they saw between Oliver (SA) & Felicity (EBR), so to the extent that this article implies that they were following fan demands, it is inaccurate - the rest of this article is spot on...

Arrow season 8: Emily Bett Rickards’ message & Felicity Smoak’s importance
March 10, 2019
https://cartermatt.com/355976/arrow-season-8-emily-bett-rickards-message-felicity-smoaks-importance/

From an acting level, what Rickards managed to do through seven years is prove that if you nail a character and get audiences/producers to fall in love with your work, you can achieve almost anything within this business. Felicity was never conceived at first to be the future wife of Oliver Queen; she was only meant as a recurring character in the first season, a smaller player within the DC Comics world. Yet, over time the producers responded to her popularity, making her into a series regular and then also eventually treating her on the level of one of the show’s most-important characters. Felicity is treated by many as a role model, a reminder that you don’t need super-powers or to spend countless hours in the gym (or on a salmon ladder) to be a hero. Characters like her had existed before, but her combination of humor and heart boosted her to a level few had ever seen.

Credit also must be given to the production staff for also being flexible to the demands and interests of the fans. So many times in this business there are people who get so beholden on their predetermined ideas that you lose something in the process. Maybe your original pitch in a writers’ room three or four months ago was great, but maybe an even better idea is presenting itself in the present that you did not expect. It’s okay to deviate from a plan and to put the extra work in. It makes the show better as a whole, and Felicity Smoak certainly made the world of Arrow better. Those decisions early on in the series’ run allowed for a greater sense of flexibility not just on Arrow, but the entire CW – DC Comics universe as a whole. It taught producers to follow the lead from their actors and their fans; sometimes, shows will find themselves through what happens the day of shooting.

Kudos to Rickards, the producers, and everyone who made Arrow. The show changed the game, and for Felicity, she is on equal footing.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

A Moment of Joy: #Arrow 7x14 Review (Brothers and Sisters)
jbuffyangel   Mar. 10, 2019
http://jbuffyangel.tumblr.com/post/183370713278/a-moment-of-joy-arrow-7x14-review-brothers-and 

Obviously, Oliver finding out Felicity is carrying their love child is what we’re all here for. So, it’s not really a shock the writers waited until the last three minutes of the show for the big moment. They aren’t dummies. 
This makes Felicity the only character other than Oliver to open the show running, so anyone arguing her hero’s arc is not on the same level as Oliver’s can pass me.  
I wish we had a stronger villain who actually warrants a guest appearance in Felicity’s nightmare, but alas we are stuck with Diaz and have to pretend, yet again, he’s a viable threat. 
The dream is essentially what is happening in the future. Felicity is separated from her children and desperately trying to reunite her family. She is supposedly “dead,” but we haven’t seen her body. 
He explains there’s a more dangerous threat the A.R.G.U.S. brass is preventing them from pursuing and Felicity instinctively puts her hand on her belly. 
Watching Emily Bett Rickards weave in these subtleties is going to be one of the best aspects of the pregnancy storyline. Felicity is understandably and rightfully furious with John for working with Diaz and not discussing it with her first.
Now Oliver is playing referee between Diggle and Felicity.  His calm response is not evidence of apathy. Oliver is trying to see both sides. He trusts John, but understands why Felicity is angry. This is a more patient, measured and understanding Oliver Queen. It may not be the man we are used to, but it is the man we’ve asked him to be. This is what a fully realized superhero looks like.
There is no limit to my love for L*urel in this scene. It’s bizarre I buy this friendship more than the one between our LL and Felicity, but I do. I think one of the best aspects of BS and Felicity’s friendship is it has nothing to do with Oliver Queen. It is just about the bond these two women have forged. That’s nifty. Throw in a solid prison arc and these writers will have me on board with Bl*ck S*ren’s redemption.
The “secret” Oliver has deduced with his amazing powers of perception is Felicity is planning to kill Diaz. Dude, that’s not a secret. She’s practically hung a neon sign around her neck all season that says, “I WILL KILL DIAZ. ASK ME HOW.” 
This is massive evolution. MAAAAAASIVE. First, Oliver gives Felicity a “find another way” speech, so we are officially full circle my friends. 
The gift Oliver’s prison sentence gave Felicity is the knowledge she can face anything, even a life without her husband, and come out the other side changed, but not broken. Felicity was alone in the wilderness and fed to the wolves this season, but she survived. She kept her family safe. Felicity flirted with the edge, but never became lost in the dark. She did what was necessary, but retained every ounce of her goodness. This is the moment Felicity Smoak decided for herself the kind of hero she wants to be.
Embarking on a relationship with her was never about one date. It was about marriage, children, building a life and growing old together. Felicity was always Oliver’s forever.  
Arrow has used the hozen as a symbol of reconnection.  It’s a way to heal the pain caused by time and distance.  From Shado to Oliver, Oliver to Thea, Thea to Roy, Roy to Thea, Thea to Felicity, Felicity to William and finally William to Mia.  It’s how the Arrow family finds their back to each other. William realizes Felicity didn’t use the hozen to guide him back to her. She used it to guide him to Mia.
I care about William and Mia’s relationship. I want the Queen family reunited. I want to know what happened to JJ and the rest of the Diggle family. Even though the flash forwards are dark and terrible, I am invested in these new characters. At this stage of the game that’s nothing short of a miracle.
“Don’t touch my things.“ Can the writers start generating some individualism with Emiko? She doesn’t need to be an exact replica of Oliver
Oliver reading criminals their Miranda rights is just… wrong. I don’t know why it’s wrong, but it is.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

ARROW IS ENDING. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN FOR THE CW'S ARROWVERSE?
Trent Moore   Mar. 7, 2019
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/arrow-is-ending-what-does-that-mean-for-the-cws-arrowverse

The CW owes about half of its primetime line-up to the small screen superhero universe Arrow started, but now the Arrowverse will have to continue on without Arrow. With the show already well into its seventh season, the move isn't a major shock by TV standards, but it does still raise a few questions. Ratings have been on the decline for years now (not uncommon for shows once they reach the back end of their life cycle), and spinoff series The Flash long ago took over the network's top ratings spot. But Arrow still consistently performs better than its superhero brethren Supergirl, Black Lightning and Legends of Tomorrow. Of course, the longer a show runs, the more expensive it becomes to keep the cast around — then there's the question of creative quality to consider.

Arrow has done everything possible to reinvent itself over the past few years, from introducing flash-forwards about a mysterious future, to having Oliver recruit a whole new team of young heroes around him. It's certainly helped keep the show relevant, but after more than 150 hours of television, even the best writers start to hit a wall on how many new stories you can tell within a template before you start repeating yourself. And yeah, over seven seasons, we've already seen a few of the same arcs start to replay themselves.
So what will this universe actually look like without Oliver Queen? Pretty similar, probably. Like it or not, the Arrowverse has grown to be a whole lot bigger than Arrow these past few years. There are now dozens of heroes crisscrossing several shows. From the time travel wackiness of Legends of Tomorrow, to the socially relevant mission of Black Lightning, there are plenty of stories out there left to tell in other corners of this world. That passing of the torch is also made a bit easier by the fact that The Flash has already become the centerpiece of this universe in recent years anyway — so it can just fully assume that "flagship" position on the back half of next season.
Regardless, fans shouldn't be worried. Yes, it'll be strange to no longer have Arrow on the airwaves, but there's still plenty of heroes left to save the day. Besides, Oliver Queen did a pretty good job getting them ready to handle whatever comes next — with or without him.

Edited by tv echo

Why Arrow is the most influential superhero TV series of this decade
by Jalen Barnes  March 10, 2019
https://bamsmackpow.com/2019/03/10/arrow-most-influential-superhero-series/

Step backward in time to a short period when there were virtually no superhero TV series airing on network television. It was the fall of 2011; Smallville had just wrapped its 10 year run on The CW (previously The WB), and the network was looking to fill the Superman-sized hole in its programming schedule.

Enter the unlikeliest of heroes: Oliver Queen. The only exposure TV audiences had to a live-action rendition of the character was in the aforementioned Smallville, in which the Green Arrow was played charismatically by Justin Hartley.  It would take a strong effort to convince audiences that a TV show starring a B-list DC Comics hero, portrayed by a new actor, could work.

Spoiler alert: it worked. On October 10, 2012, Arrow premiered on The CW, and lead actor Stephen Amell defined the role of Oliver Queen in a truly engaging take on the character. Later that month, a Deadline report revealed that the series premiere was The CW’s “most-watched telecast of any show on any night in three years, and the CW’s most-watched series premiere since The Vampire Diaries in 2009.”

Recent years have seen Arrow lose some of that popularity. Like most TV shows, viewership has dwindled over the years, and positive viewer response has ebbed and flowed over its many seasons. However, none of that changes the irreversible impact the series has made on the network television landscape and beyond.

Without Arrow, there would be no Arrowverse — the collection of interconnected superhero series airing on The CW, including The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, and more. Even with the Emerald Archer riding off into the sunset this year, the Arrowverse continues to expand with new shows like the upcoming Batwoman. Arrow may be ending, but the Arrowverse lives on.

Arrow was the measuring stick by which viewers judged every subsequent superhero series that came to television – even if it wasn’t a DC Comics property. When Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. premiered in September 2013, viewers both derided and defended its quality based on how it compared to Arrow. A quick Google search of “arrow vs agents of shield” returns a slew of circa 2013 blogs about the very topic.

Arrow didn’t just draw comparisons, however. It directly affected the explosive popularity of superhero TV series on network television, cable, and streaming services in the last seven years. Warner Bros. expanded to another network with Gotham on Fox in 2014. Marvel Studios created its own crossover-ready series on Netflix with shows like Daredevil in 2015 and Luke Cage in 2016. Maybe these superhero TV shows would have still existed without Arrow. Maybe not.
Arrow is truly the most influential superhero TV series of this decade, and its legacy will continue long after the show ends with its eighth season this fall. What will the future hold for superhero television? No one knows for sure, but with the loss of Arrow it will truly become something else.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

TV Guide is awesome for posting this. Granted, even before they'd posted it, the fans has raised well over $3000 of the $3500 goal. But still, I love TV Guide for always showing their love for this show and these characters.

Also, check out this thread if you want to learn more about the Goodbye OTA Project.

• Love 7

A.V. Club reviewer gave 715 a grade of B+ (fyi, there's also a lot of Dinah discussion, which I didn't bother quoting)...

Taking a page out of Team Arrow’s book, Arrow embraces its own evolution
Allison Shoemaker   March 12, 2019
https://tv.avclub.com/taking-a-page-out-of-team-arrow-s-book-arrow-embraces-1833222928

“Training Day” is the first episode of this season that seems firmly rooted in what’s going on with the series right now. No loose ends. No course-correction. Not-Laurel’s focused on a storyline established this season, and a development (the apparent murder of Ricardo Diaz) that happened last week. Felicity and Oliver are fighting the same old fight for the city, but with new energy, based on the revelations of last week. John’s with OTA, because of the events of last week. Dinah recovers from a horrific injury so fast, and she’s dealing with it in real time. Rene’s not so much dealing with any recent event as being set up for the future—“As a member of the Star City P.D.’s elite task force” sounds like a great way to start a campaign speech, and “I fought for the Glades, and fought the system, from within” sounds like a pretty decent followup. And in that future, William and Mira—short for Moira—finally figure out where they’re going, and why they need to go there together.

It’s refreshing. It feels as though every episode leading up to this one—with the exception of that documentary episode—was all about getting to this point. “Vigilantes are illegal, no oversight is bad, accountability is needed, but also if Team Arrow doesn’t exist Star City’s going right to hell” has been the status quo for a long, long time. They’ve been building to a new status quo. Now they’ve arrived. And as with all dramatic sea changes, what’s most interesting is the way the characters react.
Another ding against the episode: some clumsy dialogue. In one case, several scenes fail to make the end result seem anything less than obvious—raise your hand if you said “you have to make them a task force” out loud to your television at any point. In another, some trademark Felicity bumbling and a little repetitive Arrow boilerplate comes close to obscuring a recognizable parenting story, here depicted with a vigilante twist. It took several watches of the Oliver and Felicity scenes in this episode (all well-acted, as well as gracefully staged by director Ruba Nadda) to drill down to what’s really going on. Two parents are expecting their first baby—Oliver didn’t know William existed until he was a tween—and so they get super overzealous in their preparations. Other parents would plug their power outlets nine months early. Oliver and Felicity want to permanently save the city, immediately.

That seems to be the core. But in practice, it’s a wash of “the city” and “our family” and “safe,” all tangled up with OTA’s understandable frustration with being brought in to do what they do and then immediately being told to stop doing all the things they do.

The episode ends with a pleasant equilibrium—one shared by William and Mia in the future, whose hot pursuit of some sweet ’80s tech brought them closer together—that feels like the beginning of a bright future, something wholly new—and for a show that’s been on the air for as long as this one, that’s saying something. The old Arrow has been gone a long time, and the show has spent seasons—some better than others—trying to blow up the past and create a new future. This season, it’s finally happened, and just in time.
Team Arrow MVP: Juliana Harkavy, obviously, but a tip of the hat to Jason Stevens, the guy who plays Felix. He was giving me a vibe that’s Brazil meets Blade Runner meets the one episode of Doctor Who where everybody buys feelings in patch form and lives in their cars which are stuck in an unending traffic jam.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow recap: The team struggles to work with the SCPD
CHANCELLOR AGARD March 11, 2019
https://ew.com/recap/arrow-season-7-episode-15/

We begin with an inherently hilarious sequence that shows Team Arrow going through training at the SCPD because if they’re going to work with the police, they need to start doing things by the book. Of course, the montage makes it clear that’s going to be pretty hard for this group of capes, who are used to doing things their own way. You know, arrows through legs and breaking other bones (read: excessive force); using fear (read: torture); and hacking to gain leads and evidence (read: illegal searches). Pollard warns Team Arrow that this new setup is only on a provisional basis, and whether or not it lasts is dependent on how the heroes act. Despite the awkward adjustment period, Oliver is determined to make this new arrangement work because both he and Felicity want to create a safe world for their child. Stephen Amell easily mined the humor out of Oliver forcing himself to be agreeable.
... After watching the final action sequence twice, it appears as though the only change Team Arrow made to the way they do things is that they waited for Dinah, who is dressed up as the Black Canary, to read people their rights before entering the fray. Anyway, the team manages to stop Midas from destroying evidence and escaping, and the cops show up to arrest him. Again, I’m still not clear on how Team Arrow changed its methods, but whatever.

In the wake of this successful bust, Mayor Pollard agrees to create a Vigilante Task Force, a.k.a. “black ops for the SCPD,” which would allow Team Arrow to continue operating in the bunker and with their suits. Furthermore, the anti-vigilante bill is currently on Pollard’s desk to be reviewed for repeal. Alas, it’s not all good news, because Dinah reveals to the team that getting her throat slashed has permanently damaged her throat and she can longer produce her canary cry (I’m sure someone still has Laurel’s old device somewhere in the bunker).
Speaking of the future: Isn’t it really depressing to watch the events in the present when you know they’re ultimately going to fail?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

ARROW SEASON 7, EPISODE 15: "TRAINING DAY" REVIEW
BY JESSE SCHEEDEN   11 MAR 2019
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03/12/arrow-season-7-episode-15-training-day-review

Team Arrow’s new status quo raises plenty of interesting questions. What does it truly mean for Oliver Queen and his team to be on the right side of the law? How does that impact their day-to-day activities as vigilantes? How will they be held accountable for their actions? What sort of relationship will they have with their fellow SCPD officers? These questions were at the heart of tonight’s episode. The problem is that it didn’t really answer them in a satisfying way.
The problem seemed to stem equally from a lack of nuance and generally flimsy character logic. It’s one thing for Team Arrow to bristle against their newfound rules and regulations. It’s another entirely for them to be forced to dress, behave and fight exactly like every other cop on the force. What purpose does that serve? Why invite the Green Arrow into the SCPD if he literally can’t do anything that makes him Green Arrow in the first place? The show kind of draws attention to that gap in logic because the force seemed perfectly content to allow Ollie to operate in full costume up until this episode.

A deeper problem is that it quickly became difficult to sympathize with either side. There’s never been much effort to flesh out any of the SCPD characters on this show beyond Detective Lance and Dinah. They’re just a faceless group that serves whatever purpose the story demands of them. So it’s a little tough to connect with these generic background characters as they have their beef with Team Arrow. Honestly, this storyline may have been doomed from the start for that reason alone.

On the other hand, Ollie’s sudden shift from wanting to fight on the side of the law to becoming a dark vigilante all over again felt incredibly forced. It’s as if none of his struggle over the past couple seasons has made any lasting impact. The fact that Dinah managed to so quickly and effortlessly find a solution to this dilemma didn’t help, either. Why wasn’t this “Vigilante Task Force” the approach taken from day one? And going forward, is this arrangement with the SCPD actually going to have a tangible impact on the show’s status quo?” The simplistic, unearned resolution here makes it seem as though the goal was merely to let Team Arrow work without the anti-vigilante law weighing them down anymore. There had to be simpler ways of ushering in that change.
As for Laurel herself, this episode set up a fun rivalry with Emiko. Laurel is the only one who sees Emiko’s true nature, but her own rocky past is going to make it very difficult to convince anyone else of the truth. This is the first time I’ve been genuinely interested in her arc all season long.

The flash-forwards also seem to be building steam the closer we get to the climax of Season 7. The writers seem to have realized these scenes were becoming too clogged with characters. The shift toward exploring William and Mia’s dysfunctional sibling relationship is already paying off. This episode also managed some clever interplay between present and future, with Ollie revealing his motivation for choosing the Mia name in the first place.

Edited by tv echo