Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

She did say she is becoming more like Felicity. Hope she never plays an Ax Murderer.

I think my favorite thing about EBR is that she is Team Felicity before Olicity. I get the feeling that she likes the dynamic between the characters but it's more important to her that Felicity develops. If it's with Oliver, great. If not, great. I love that.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 12

She did say she is becoming more like Felicity. Hope she never plays an Ax Murderer.

I think my favorite thing about EBR is that she is Team Felicity before Olicity. I get the feeling that she likes the dynamic between the characters but it's more important to her that Felicity develops. For it's with Oliver, great. If not, great. I love that.

There was an interview with EBR where she said something about how Oliver isn't the only guy for Felicity, and Felicity knows that, and that the ILY is on Oliver, Felicity can deal. I do love that she loves Felicity just as much as the fans do, and that she too wants to see the boring things that Felicity does. Actors and actresses who love and understand their characters are wonderful (the same is true for David Rasmey, he seems to really understand and know Diggle). 

• Love 3

When I said that there was flack about "sexed-up" images of Felicity and Laurel on the Season 2 poster, let me clarify.  Personally I thought they both looked great, but I recall there being some fan outrage that Felicity didn't look like Felicity (with her IT clothes, ponytail and glasses) but had been glamorized with her clothes, heels, long wavy hair, and no glasses.  (Remember this was after Season 1 during which she was wearing pretty conservative work clothes, and before Season 2 broke out her more fashionable dresses.)  I recall some fan comments about how she and Laurel both had sexy images on the poster, which were explained away by being typical CW promotion of its female stars.  It was the first time that Felicity was put on the promotional poster.  

So I was simply speculating that perhaps the Season 3 poster attempted to portray them both more in character, although they still didn't go so far as giving Felicity glasses.

That second Season 3 poster (posted here) is disappointing.  I was expecting/hoping the second poster would show Ra's al Ghul, Malcolm, Thea, Sara and Nyssa - the LOA side.

Edited by tv echo

From the clip.... I think it's really sweet that Colin Donnell was like their big brother on set and is still texting them. That explains the photo of them with Colin when he shot his scene this season.

Poor Colton, getting poked while he's supposed to be unconscious so he'd break the scene.  Earlier the question came up of whether SA was getting a swelled head; they say no.

The background picture just reminds me of how much I liked the s2 poster more than the new one.

• Love 1

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/22/showbiz/tv/comics-on-tv/index.html?sr=sharebar_twitter

Mostly all of the comic shows coming out, I C&P the part Arrow related stuff here.  I'll also post the link in the Other Comic Shows thread so people can discuss the non Arrow stuff there.

With "The Flash," they've stuck close to the comic, but with its CW cousin "Arrow," another comics-based series from which "The Flash" was spun off, there's a more unique approach. So far, with the series having enjoyed two successful seasons, the risk has worked.
The trick to getting it right, says "Arrow" executive producer Marc Guggenheim, is having a deep love of the character.
"Comic books are an operatic medium," Guggenheim explained. "That's harder to get right or produce. Unless you love comics and that world, I don't know how anyone else would do the job. So it starts with love of the character and the source material."

But as with much in pop culture, the superhero adoration is cyclical, mainly because it's a timeless story, said "Arrow" actress Emily Bett Rickards.
"It's always interesting to see a hero's struggle and hide behind an identity," Rickards said.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Emily is lovely in her interviews - like always. But I loved how Colton ended this one with cheers which is a quintessential English greeting. It is the little things that endear stars to people, like greeting people in ways that are culturally more suitable. Go Colton.

Watching them do a number of interviews, all on the same set and during the same two days, I really get a sense of how tiring it is to do all that p.r. work.  Colton especially puts a lot of effort into it.

I like "Felicitoy".   Hopefully they get to have some fun as Roy and Felicity too.

"If you can't see my feet, I'm wearing slippers."  Love her.

• Love 1

The Colton & Emily tour of Europe this summer was fun to see clips of - they seemed to genuinely enjoy their time there, with the fans and with each other.  I'm already a big fan of Felicity and that's all on how EBR plays her.  I'm less a fan of Roy but I'm still more than willing to go along with him because i like CH's approach to his character and the entire show so much.

Plus, they are both very funny and we only see tiny snippets of their natural humor on the show, so the interviews are fun to watch as well. Same with David Ramsey, he's very funny, too.

The one cast member who totally stunned me with their depths of humor was Katrina Law - I know the chances are slim that we'll see any of that on the show (other than a snarky quip or facial expression).  Such a shame.

Foundry Fridays humor must be getting better with EBR and now CH added.

Katrina Law does stand-up, which requires not only a sense of humour but a lot of bravery.  I think that came through in the last episodes, not so much in Heir To The Demon because that was about the Lance Family Drama, so I really hope Nyssa comes back, and often.

I see a lot of people rather angry with CW and WB for pushing Olicity in their promotions but here in Canada, CTV is advertising Arrow with no Olicity and a lot of emphasis on Ra'as-al-Ghul.

yeah I live in CAnada too and most of the focus is on RA's Al Guhl. It's mostly in America where Olicity is emphasized a lot in the promotion. The promos showed in US barely or don't mention Ra's Al Guhl at all. I think it's because CTV isn't as targeted to teenage females as CW is. (not to say that only females are fans of Olicity) 

Edited by ban1o

She has mentioned writing screenplays and TV sitcoms a few times before as well. Who knows, yen years down the road, she could be Mindy Kaling or Lena Dunham of that time (though I see her more Mindy and less Lena).

She didn't get to try our pizza when she was here in Chicago? That means she should definitely come back and I'll buy her a Lou Malnati's spinach, mushroom deep dish. I'll also follow her life motto and get one for dinner tonight. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

Haven't seen this interview posted here so I thought I'd share: "Arrow's Katie Cassidy Brings Another Comic Book Property to Life with The Scribbler"

This particular bit was intriguing ...

As an actor, can you relate to these different personalities inside of you, or are you grounded enough in who you are that it's really more about technique?

For me, the way that I work is creating backstory for a character. Obviously, you have to read something. I have to read a script, and I have to be excited about the character, want to play it, feel some sort of connection to the character. And then, through script analysis, I create backstory with as much detail as possible. So it's not really technical, I think. I guess it's more intellectual because, yeah, I won't be able to go on set and say lines and dialogue if I haven't done the back work. Because when you're on set and you're there in the moment, you should be able to forget about all the back work that you've done. The lines of dialogue should just come out naturally for you if you've done all the work. At least, that's how I am. If something is written -- and it's happened a few times -- we have great writers so we can call them and ask them. For example, on "Arrow," I know Laurel so well, there were a few times where she will say something or be doing something that it's just not sticking. That's the only term I can use, because memorization, it's not for me. It's not about memorizing the lines. If the emotion is attached to it, and the writers have written well, it should just come out organically. Sometimes, I will get stuck, and I'll be like, "This doesn't feel right. She wouldn't say this, or if she would say this, can we talk about how it can make sense to me so I'm not having this internal struggle?" And they're great. They definitely do that, and they're very helpful. As long as it makes sense to me in my own head and like when I'm in it, I'm good. Otherwise, if something's not sticking, I always say something is either missing, or there are pieces of the puzzle that are missing. Or they wrote something, and they're like, "Actually, you're right. We didn't mean to write that. That wasn't for you."

If you search for her 2012 SDCC interviews you'll get some of it. Actually there's a few interviews from 2012 that explain her thoughts on Laurel's backstory and relationships.

Sorry but I don't have the links handy.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

This thread is about News and Media about Arrow; it is NOT a discussion about an actor's performance and whatever "method" of acting she or he subscribes to.

Further off-topic posts on this subject will be deleted.

• Love 1

I've never actually seen a show treat their lead female like she was nothing for 2 whole seasons. Lana was hated because too much revolved around her and she was forced into places she wasn't needed. She was treated like the lead female character she was. Laurel is at best a guest character since she spent most of her time on her own show that no one cared about and occassionally interacted with the rest of the cast, which was pretty much only Oliver since she ignored Felicity in all the scenes they had.

I guess they were going with slow burn with her character but they went so slow she's still on the starting line while the other characters are almost done with the race. So what we'll see now is Laurel trying to catch up and never being able to do it naturally. It'll either be just because or magically.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

The latest DC All Access had a recap of S2 as prep for S3. Since it's a DC show, they focused on the superhero-y comicbook-y action things that happened, there's nothing about character development, or relationships, or anything like that. It's telling that Laurel's name isn't even mentioned in the narration, because she wasn't really involved in the overall A-plot:

I agree with him about most of those episodes.

I give the distinction of "exceeded the pilot" to Salvation, which in anchored by Alex Kingston's Emmy-worthy performance as the mother of then-thought-deceased-but-she-really-wasn't Sara Lance. If you're not rocked to your core by Dinah's heart-wrenching confession that her character feels responsible for her daughter's death, then you have no soul.

First, he really has to stop saying "Emmy-worthy" because while Kingston does a really good job, it's not going to win her an Emmy.  But that was the scene where I noted that Kingston was so good, and PB was too, and KC's face over her mother's shoulder just looked blank.

The one on the list that I really disagree with was The Promise.  In terms of effect and directing and action scenes, it was great. But in terms of storytelling, not at all essential, really nothing we didn't already know or suspect.

• Love 2

First, he really has to stop saying "Emmy-worthy" [snip]

This. They also need to stop referring to every character interaction as "magic". It reminds me of Ellie's rant at Captain Awesome on Chuck i.e. if everything is "awesome" then by definition everything is just mediocre.

• Love 1

I find that I'm frequently not on the same page as Guggenheim.  I remember that SA and Guggenheim majorly hyped The Promise, and I hated that episode.  It was a waste of an hour that I felt contributed nothing to the story.  Also, I'm pretty sure that Guggenheim has no idea what the Emmys actually are.

• Love 2

The latest DC All Access had a recap of S2 as prep for S3. Since it's a DC show, they focused on the superhero-y comicbook-y action things that happened, there's nothing about character development, or relationships, or anything like that. It's telling that Laurel's name isn't even mentioned in the narration, because she wasn't really involved in the overall A-plot:

Well, you cannot really blame them, her only link to the main plot was that she uncovered Blood's link to Moira's murder.

I find that I'm frequently not on the same page as Guggenheim.  I remember that SA and Guggenheim majorly hyped The Promise, and I hated that episode.  It was a waste of an hour that I felt contributed nothing to the story.  Also, I'm pretty sure that Guggenheim has no idea what the Emmys actually are.

Someone needs to hit him with an Emmy trophy so that he would what an Emmy actually is.

• Love 1

Katie Cassidy got a mention in Alan Sepinwall's positive review of The Flash. Probably not the kind she would have wanted, but publicity is publicity.

Other parts of the ensemble need some tweaking — as Joe's daughter (and Barry's unrequited love interest) Iris, Candice Patton seems positioned to fill the same oblivious wet blanket slot that Kat[ie] Cassidy did for the first two seasons of "Arrow," and the writers will need to better balance the comedy and drama load between Carlos Valdes and Danielle Panabaker as Cavanagh's two sidekicks — but there's a good core here.

Quite a few critics have mentioned Iris as one of the few negatives of the Flash pilot. I'll be interested to see if people respond more favorably to her in future episodes or if these EPs are destined to have lackluster "destined" pairings on each of their shows.

They really just need to keep her relevant. There's a very real chance she could turn into Laurel 2.0

I had rather scary flashbacks of Arrow season 1 Laurel when I saw Iris.

Iris is kept away from the super hero secret. *check*

She has another love interest (Eddie Thawne a cute guy with a villain's name just like Tommy Merlyn - Daddy Merlyn was revealed later) even though the titular hero pines after the heroine. *check*

Totally oblivious to what is happening around her (Laurel saying Oliver can never be the hood and Iris saying Barry is like her bother) *check*

If this is not dealt with soon - like in second episode - I fear things may not go the way writers want them to go.

Edited by TanyaKay
  • Love 4