Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

I think it's because they used old pictures.

Which explains why Katie Cassidy looks so good. Seriously, what the heck happened? She looked fantastic back then and the clothes they put her in actually suited her.

What really irritates me about that poster is the fact that the other four are in character and Emily is (badly) styled as Emily, definitely not Felicity. Where's the iconic ponytail? Where are the glasses? Even the comics get that much right....

• Love 11

I have a hard time believing that the promotions dept doesn't have some idea of what a poster wants to communicate to the audience.  I would think the EPs or some creative person on the production of Arrow has some say in what goes on that poster. 

lol I guess that makes sense That's why TVD get's new photo-shoots every year and pretty cool posters while Arrow reuses season 1 and 2 pictures and leaves out half the cast. lol.

TVD's promo this season is pretty awful, too. Maybe CW changed their photography staff, or have started to rely on the same interns that do promo pictures for ABC.

• Love 2

I have a hard time believing that the promotions dept doesn't have some idea of what a poster wants to communicate to the audience.  I would think the EPs or some creative person on the production of Arrow has some say in what goes on that poster. 

I agree, which is why I dislike the poster so much.  Not because of the pictures (although Oliver and Roy have squished bodies and Emily looks like Emily, not Felicity), but Laurel is in there front and center, between Oliver and Diggle unlike last season when she was at the back. It looks like they're really going to have Laurel even more significant s3 and nothing good can come of that.

The poster is the representation of the show for the coming year. The EPs should have had final say.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 5

TVD isn't going to last forever; they need to start putting some money into other shows.

Didn't the EPs say they weren't involved in that type of PR?

Edited by 10Eleven12

I thought last season's poster at least let us know how important each character is. This poster with Diggle behind Laurel kind of makes me dread one or two things. I really hope this year the poster doesn't bare as much significance as last year's or else I'm in peril.

And they really do have problems with Felicity's ponytail and glasses. I mean they're iconic to her character.

Edited by ArrowLimbo
  • Love 4

I swear I don't know what they were thinking on that poster. Like you don't have the lead character pronounce in the season finale, "It started with the three of us. That's what we need to get back" And then have the three of them as a unit on the island as the penultimate scene of the episode and then ignore that for the s3 poster. Surely Oliver didn't change his mind during the hiatus.

Even SPN's lameass poster reflects the season arc coming up. They have Sam and Dean in the front with Cas and Crowley flanking behind. And even the placement of Sam and Dean reveals a little something. Not much but a little.

Weaksauce CW...Weaksauce

I'm not sure that I agree that it means nothing. They may have used old pictures but the placement still communicates something about Laurel more than any one else. She said in the clip from the preview that her and Oliver are partners. So that means she is part of Team Arrow. Felicity wore skirts and tops and flats in s1 but it was all casual business attire not cutesy schoolgirl outfits.

But I didn't comment on the placement. That does mean that Laurel's a full-fledged member of Team Arrow (vomit). I just wrote that how Felicity and Laurel are dressed really does mean nothing.

Which explains why Katie Cassidy looks so good. Seriously, what the heck happened? She looked fantastic back then and the clothes they put her in actually suited her.

What really irritates me about that poster is the fact that the other four are in character and Emily is (badly) styled as Emily, definitely not Felicity. Where's the iconic ponytail? Where are the glasses? Even the comics get that much right....

ITA. About both Laurel and Felicity.

The EPs aren't involved in this, no EP is, for any show.  This is the CW's marketing department, just like the Promo's, etc.  The poster sucks and it's really dissapointing that they left Thea/Malcolm/Lance off the poster but it doesn't mean that there's some intent related to the show or season or anything like that.

Look at SPN's S10 poster, doesn't have anything to do with Demon Dean storyline

Look at TVDs S6 poster, other than putting Bonnie/Damon together there's nothing on it that indicates the status of any of the characters.  You have Stefan/Elena together which isn't really an indication of S6 since it's supposed to be Steroline with Elena wanting Damon back.

• Love 1

I swear I don't know what they were thinking on that poster.  Like you don't have the lead character pronounce in the season finale,  "It started with the three of us. That's what we need to get back" And then have the three of them as a unit on the island as the penultimate scene of the episode and then ignore that for the s3 poster.  Surely Oliver didn't change his mind during the hiatus.

We know Oliver must have changed his mind because Roy will be a full-fledged member of Team Arrow when the new season opens. We don't know about Laurel yet, but at the very least, they will be working closely together to catch criminals and I would expect her to show up at the lair from time to time.

I still think Laurel is just an ally of Team Arrow. She is on the fringe.

Until they have some big moment with flashing lights and SA, DR, EBR screaming she is in Team Arrow, I will deny it.

The CW would never allow glasses and ponytails on their official works. Glasses and Ponytails are UNsexy and do not fit the image. 

The CW would never allow glasses and ponytails on their official works. Glasses and Ponytails are UNsexy and do not fit the image.

They need to talk to every man I know who watches the show then (not to mention the viper pit of the imdb boards for EBR) The glasses send 'em all weak at the knees.

• Love 5
full-fledged member of Team Arrow when the new season opens. We don't know about Laurel yet, but at the very least, they will be working closely together to catch criminals and I would expect her to show up at the lair from time to time.

My point was that if they are getting back to the three with helping friends then the placement should be Oliver, flanked by Felicity and Diggle. That was what I was talking about. The triad at the front. Roy is placed appropriately for his role in Team Arrow. Laurel is not.

• Love 1

Not to get to OT about SPN. I think the poster does reflect a bit on the upcoming season. Sam is slightly ahead of Dean because Dean is separated from Sam because of these events and I also suspect because it's going to be a lot about what Sam does to save Dean from his demise. I don't understand why Dean is 3 inches taller now though LOL.

My point though is that I do think the posters are meant to give a glimpse of what one might perceive about the importance of certain characters in the upcoming season. If it didn't matter IMO they would just put the actors in no particular order other than to be aesthetically pleasing with  Amell in front of them all.

Edited by catrox14

Laurel obviously isn't going anywhere so it's only appropriate she's a prominent part of the poster, but I still think it doesn't necessarily foreshadow what's to come in terms of storyline.  I'm pretty neutral when it comes to her--I don't really care either way about her storylines--but I'm chalking it to the CW trying to make the poster look pretty and symmetrical.

They're presumably meant to be standing in the shape of an arrow head with the line down the middle of the road as the shaft of the arrow.  This is quite a clever idea, but really badly executed.  Aside from all the many, many issues you guys have already mentioned, they should have at least found a picture of Felicity with her left foot forward and her right foot back, to get the symmetry correct (everyone else's feet are correct).  And it doesn't take into account the problematic nature of having to place some people further back than others and the fact that the women should technically have been on the outside (i.e. furtherest back), simply because they're the shortest (Diggle's height throws the symmetry off a bit).

Then have Felicity and Diggle flanking Oliver as the core Team Arrow, and Laurel to the other side of Diggle with Roy as he is now.  Represents the focus of the show and keeps it from being too matchy-matchy (boy, girl, boy, girl, boy).

Does anyone else think Diggle's head is too small on his huge body?

(I've seen a lot of fanart better done than this poster.)

Chiming in to say that I think the re-use of old photos, the embarrassingly bad photoshop work and the overall lighting smacks of lazy and cheap.  No clue why the network delayed this for a week from when they said they'd publish it.

The placement may be for symmetrical reasons only but it's still a big turn off for me. 

A lot of my enthusiasm for this season got squashed like a bug with this.  Hopefully the placement doesn't actually matter but any time Laurel is higlighted, the less I want to watch.

• Love 11

I wish they would have had everyone on the poster and maybe like a looming shadow/ silhouette of Ra's al Ghul in the background rather than that weird road they seem to be on. It's kind of dark too and all of the perspectives are off, which I know I said before. I don't know. I just think this needed more thought on all levels. 

• Love 3

I think the only reason Thea isn't on the poster is because she going to be in more of a villain role and they wanted to emphasize Team Arrow. 

Also I really don't understand why people are so annoyed by the placement of Laurel. The obviously just wanted a boy-girl-boy-girl aesthetic. Also she is the second billed character and is probably going to be an associate of Team Arrow. The comments on the facebook page are ridiculous. 

I think the only reason Thea isn't on the poster is because she going to be in more of a villain role and they wanted to emphasize Team Arrow.

Also I really don't understand why people are so annoyed by the placement of Laurel. The obviously just wanted a boy-girl-boy-girl aesthetic. Also she is the second billed character and is probably going to be an associate of Team Arrow. The comments on the facebook page are ridiculous.

It's just the blanket assumption that a prominent place on the poster=a prominent tole on the show. Hopefully there's no correlation. I really wish I was even remotely invested in anything regarding Laurel (apart from the hope that she'll someday get on a one-way train to nowhere).

The only complaint I have about that poster is how embarrassingly awful it is for a network show, haha. Next year, just troll Tumblr and offer a fan an S3 DVD in exchange for their services, damn.

You know what? They could probably make a contest out of it and end up with a way better poster.

I've read of a few companies starting to do that but they're not willing to pay the artist, just using the exposure lure. It's a shame because the official work they're putting out is garbage.

That poster is awful.  Both Roy and Oliver look really weird, like they were photographed from above giving them huge shoulders and tiny waists.  Either that or some crazy intern at the CW thought they needed to lose weight and got heavy-handed with Photoshop.

The more Laurel is featured the less interest I have in the show, so I really hope the poster is not foretelling the composition of Team Arrow for Season 3.

• Love 3

It's just the blanket assumption that a prominent place on the poster=a prominent tole on the show. Hopefully there's no correlation. I really wish I was even remotely invested in anything regarding Laurel (apart from the hope that she'll someday get on a one-way train to nowhere).

The only complaint I have about that poster is how embarrassingly awful it is for a network show, haha. Next year, just troll Tumblr and offer a fan an S3 DVD in exchange for their services, damn.

LOL but stil even if you don't like Laurel she is the second billed character so somehwat of a prominant role is expected. But yeah I agree that the poster is awful lol. Some fans are just so intense. Some people have made alternate posters already that cut out Laurel and Roy and I'm just like wtf? 

Okay, everyone, that's enough about the poster. Let's move on, unless you have something new to add to the discussion. Also, if you haven't said you hate it yet, you get one post to do so. Then move on. Additional posts on the poster will be deleted from here on.

oops sorry I just saw this :( I'm done! 

I'm taking my reply to the Laurel thread.

Not too Arrow intensive, just a neat little blurb from a David Mazouz interview - the kid who plays Bruce Wayne on Gotham:

Outside of Batman, what are your other favorite superheroes?

Batman’s always been my favorite because he doesn’t have superpowers.

I really like Superman. I’ve been getting into Green Arrow because of the show Arrow. I met them all at Comic-Con and I started watching the show on Netflix. I’m obsessed. I watch six episodes a day. I’m really into that.
  • Love 2

Taking my one post   ;-) 

I just think it looks cheap, like badly done fanart.  Maybe the week's delay was because the person working on it hadn't started it yet.

I'm disappointed that they reused art from previous seasons, that they went with the Arrow with mask on and hood up (I'd prefer to see Oliver's face like previous posters), that I get to be annoyed all over again that Felicity doesn't resemble herself at all (my biggest problem with last year's artwork), but mostly I'm peeved that if tradition holds, we'll be looking at this again this time next year as the S3 DVD cover art.  Ugh.

• Love 3

Yep, I hate the poster.

Mostly because of the let down since in the very first second I saw it, I thought it was Roy, Felicity, Oliver, THEA, and DIggle.  So in a quick second I really got excited...then, well reality.

I hate how fake Roy looks in costume and that it could be anybody.  The picture is so shadowed and dark that you can't even make out his face.  Almost the same problem wit Oliver.

And if they insist on that outdated rule, then just take a picture of Felicity HOLDING her glasses like she just took them off.  This is a poster promoting the show and the characters in it should actually resemble their counterparts unless they are instead doing  a CAST poster and not a SHOW poster. 

Laurel not looking anything like herself annoys me more and more too.  I'll say it again, she looks like Thea and I swear any new viewer who casually sees the poster is going to think it IS Thea.

I hate that there's no Quentin.  That bothers me as much as no Thea, maybe more.  I understand why no Sara or Nyssa but including every big player on the show would make a much, better poster.  The one they gave us is like...why bother? 

Addressing the placement issue, I get why they might want to give Laurel a more prominent spot than what she had last year.  Last year made me cringe.  Laurel should NOT have been behind Slade.  That sent the complete wrong message.

This image also sends the wrong message.  Intended or not, it says that Diggle is no more important than the emerging side kick.  Going for symmetry is a poor defense because the show does not exist in a vacuum.  I look at the poster and before any visual symmetry can be noted, my brain is screaming these things do not balance. 

They should never have tried to do the wedge shape again.  Like it or not, it does tell a story and either it isn't right and I will forever look at the poster and feel the discord or it foretells the direction of the show and I will look at it and forever weep.

I know fan art can do a better job, so I really hope those people with that particular talent dive in head first and give us some better alternatives. 

Ok, that's my post. 

Edited by BkWurm1

Cashing in my token.

This poster is bad. Then again the quality of the Posters for the other shows on CW that I saw were terrible as well. They looked like they were drawings of video games characters before they had 3D rendition but are still trying for "realistic". I also must echo the frustration about Felicity not looking like Felicity.

• Love 1

I wonder if the hate on the character placement  of the poster would have been less if Roy and Diggle had switched places so that Diggle would be behind Felicity? People seem to be mad because Diggle is literally behind Laurel so they feel he is being pushed aside for her. And they would have still been able to keep the boy-girl-boy-girl symmetry. 

Here's my one post: I would have been able to tolerate this ugly-ass poster if they had just switched Laurel and Diggle's position. Right now, it just brings to mind season 2b, with Team Arrow constantly being shoved aside because of a Lance sister. More than anything else, that's what I don't want to see in season 3.

• Love 10

I wonder if the hate on the character placement  of the poster would have been less if Roy and Diggle had switched places so that Diggle would be behind Felicity? People seem to be mad because Diggle is literally behind Laurel so they feel he is being pushed aside for her. And they would have still been able to keep the boy-girl-boy-girl symmetry.

But then that brings up the issue of making Felicity more prominent than Diggle when they share equal importance. If Laurel worked closely with someone else or had her own team I could see each sub team flanking Oliver but that's not the case unless somehow this season Felicity gets Roy and Laurel gets Diggle. Not a very good trade IMO.

But then that brings up the issue of making Felicity more prominent than Diggle when they share equal importance. If Laurel worked closely with someone else or had her own team I could see each sub team flanking Oliver but that's not the case unless somehow this season Felicity gets Roy and Laurel gets Diggle. Not a very good trade IMO.

The character position imo really has nothing to do with character's significance, I don't even know how much the EP's are involved in the poster. They just did boy-girl boy girl-boy because they thought it would look better. I think the flanking layout sucks anyway, but I think people are just putting too much stock to it. Think about it, out of 5 character-centric episodes that we have so far, which character still hasn't been announced a character-centric episode? Who are the only 3 characters showing up in the Flash cross-over with Arrow? Diggle was sidelines in 2B more because of Sara than Laurel. Anyway Laurel is still a major character even if people don't like her. She's the first billed female character and I don't think producer should just give into fan requests all the time and make her a super  minor character or kill her off or else they are always  just at the mercy of fans. I hope they try to make her work better and improve her character. :) 

Edited by ban1o