Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

I'm now thinking Oliver's suffering from MidSeason Dumbdities, to be cured around episode 318 with no complications or side effects.

Or permanent effects.  Stay tuned for s4, as Oliver becomes a Dumbass once again.

From all I've heard about Felicity's speech in the last episode though, I find it rather one sided. Oliver isn't siding with Merlyn because he wants to, it's because he sees no alternative in his need to keep Thea safe. Sure, the reasoning is bullshit and stupid, but it's the reasoning of the writers, rather than the characters. They want to write that Oliver believes he needs Merlyn to defeat Ra's, then that's the way Oliver has to think. But once he does think that, I don't see what's so utterly reprehensible about balancing Sara's death against Thea's life. Felicity seems to be dealing in moral absolutes that don't really fit into this show's rationale. Yes, Merlyn is evil, but is he a bigger threat than Ra's?

And perhaps if the writers allowed Oliver to tell his friends what happened with him and Ra's, that he was defeated and left for dead, they might appreciate his need for the assistance of Merlyn a little more. But Oliver's not allowed to be right. Ever.

I think they've really failed to make Ra's a scary villain for those viewers who didn't come from the comic books.  The only time I've really found him scary is when he defeated a whle bunch of his assassins.  (And then he killed the last one, which is just stupid.)

So for me, at this point Merlyn is a bigger threat than Ra's because he set up the whole situation and because you can't trust him an inch.

But the easiest and most convincing truth should be, 'why do you think Merlyn is any help at all, when he's so petrified of Ra's that he's willing to go to these lengths to keep away from him?' If the writers don't allow any character to ask that question, then it seems to me that they either haven't considered it, or don't view it as being one of the things Oliver is wrong about.

Tatsu told him that only the student can defeat the master so he thinks that he has to learn from someone Ra's taught, and Maseo is unavailable. 

It's the Dumbass section of the season so he's forgotten that 1.  he got into a lot of trouble not telling Moira and Thea that Slade was coming after him last season and 2. that it took outthinking, not outfighting Merlyn in s1 and Slade in s2.  Sara would be alive and Thea and Oliver safe if not for MM.

• Love 5

Or permanent effects.  Stay tuned for s4, as Oliver becomes a Dumbass once again.

Haha, right? You know, they're not exactly reinventing the wheel by making Oliver Queen a dumbass because he was quite often a dumbass in comics as well. But could they at least have him make some new mistakes/errors in judgment? He is literally doing the same thing every season. I can only assume Diggle and Felicity will have to give him pep talks and save his dumb ass again. Seriously, Malcolm may be a liar liar, pants on fire, but hearing Oliver or Laurel call him one legit makes me laugh out loud. I swear, if lying is once again the central theme of next season.....

It's the Dumbass section of the season so he's forgotten that 1. he got into a lot of trouble not telling Moira and Thea that Slade was coming after him last season and 2. that it took outthinking, not outfighting Merlyn in s1 and Slade in s2. Sara would be alive and Thea and Oliver safe if not for MM.

And 4. Malcolm can't even defeat Ra's and save his own life, or he'd have done it already rather than instigating the psychological terrorism required to get Oliver to try (and fail at) doing it. Edited by RandomMe
  • Love 1

But with these points, is it Oliver who hasn't thought of them, or the writers who are just ignoring them because they need the plot to go in this idiot direction? It seems more like the show is plot-driven, and the characters have to do whatever the plot demands to get to where the writers want it to go. And that is garbage writing. As soon as your audience starts saying, 'what? He/She wouldn't do that!' you've pretty much failed.

• Love 5

Sooooo, I remember some of you were asking whether The Realm Cast was still interested in Arrow, I think they are because they posted something about them on tumblr. BUT WHAT'S MORE INTERESTING IS, is that they posted images that I posted on THIS SITE. SO, to the guys from Realm Cast, HELLO.

This is what they wrote: "Found this hilarious photo set on the Previously.TV forums posted by #wonderwall. I damn near fell outta my chair laughing. Love #MeanGirls #CW #Arrow #mashup If anyone knows who the creator is plz tag them."

• Love 5

I recommend listening to the Realmcast podcast for Left Behind, if only for their reactions to Buckles :) And the comments on how MM and Felicity must have left the foundry door open, so a horse came in, had me in tears. Even if I disagree with their POV on some things, I really like these podcasts because they still have a great deal of enthusiasm for this show, so that's good :)

A fan made Felicity and Diggle Funko pop's 

tumblr_inline_n4m76tVLpM1s5xabx.jpg

You can buy them from him/her, but they are super expensive. 

Their Deathstroke one looks cooler.

tumblr_n2c96zdvGL1ra0hj3o2_500.jpg

Someone also made a shirtless Oliver with his scars and tats. Kudos to the maker for the attention to detail.

tumblr_ngi5j7RfkD1ra0hj3o1_1280.jpg

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 5

From the print issue of the new TV Guide, Feb. 16 - Mar. 1, 2015 (Double Issue):

Arrow, based on DC"s Green Arrow, was the first comics adaptation to break through on TV post-Walking Dead.  When the show premiered in 2012, The CW was still smarting from the loss of Smallville, which finished a 10-year run the year before.  "When Smallville ended, The CW lost a lot of men 18 to 34, and men in general," says network president Mark Pedowitz.  "We realized we needed to do something to bring them back.  Arrow was the first real attempt."  The story of billionaire rake Oliver Queen's transformation into a vigilante quickly found an audience, and two years later came The Flash, a spinoff that's now The CW's most watched series.  The shows "brought men back," says Pedowitz.  "It broadened our audience, which made us more interesting to our affiliates and to many advertisers."

More emphasis on the young male demo (I guess the CW doesn't care about any other demo for Arrow/Flash)...

'The Flash' Speeds to Best Ratings Among Men 18-34 Since December's 'Arrow' Crossover
Written By Amanda Kondolojy February 11th, 2015

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/02/11/the-flash-speeds-to-best-ratings-among-men-18-34-since-decembers-arrow-crossover/362278/

Edited by tv echo

John Campea posted this on his twitter.

John Campea
‏@johncampea
Someone asked if Laurel on Arrow or Jar Jar is worse. Laurel is worse. Because you at least know Jar Jar eventually goes away.  :)
Reply Retweet Favorite

It looks like he's sticking to not watching the show anymore. 

• Love 11

I made the mistake of watching the Aftershow. These two guys are ok, they made some valid points, but I don't think I'll keep watching it. Campea at least made me laugh, but I've come to really dislike the girls. They have insight on some things and can make good observations, but lately it looks like they state an opinion in one episode and go with the total opposite in the next, and I get enough whiplash from the actual show, so no, thanks. :/

• Love 2

I made the mistake of watching the Aftershow. These two guys are ok, they made some valid points, but I don't think I'll keep watching it. Campea at least made me laugh, but I've come to really dislike the girls. They have insight on some things and can make good observations, but lately it looks like they state an opinion in one episode and go with the total opposite in the next, and I get enough whiplash from the actual show, so no, thanks. :/

lol could you summarize the things they said that you didn't like?

lol could you summarize the things they said that you didn't like?

Well, they didn't have a thing to say about Laurel; I don't know if that's because people were complaining about Campea's rants on her so they backed off, or if they were just going along with him when he was there and now are more honest about how they feel about her? Also, they managed to say, in the span of a minute, that they don't really like romance in tv shows and they can do without it, but they like Felicity and Ray.

It's not that I mind that they said they are not for olicity or that they like Ray-they've supported that storyline from the beginning, and I don't have a problem with that character either- but more the lack of coherence, I guess?

It's not just a thing from last episode to this one, more of an ongoing trend I noticed since the season started. After I found out of this aftershow I went back and watched the Season 2 ones, and there they were saying they liked the progress of the O/F relationship, the scenes between the two of them were always among their positives. Start season 3, and you hear them saying things like "and the Olicity fans got their kiss", kinda dismissive of the whole thing. Still, they pulled up questions from the twitterfeed "for the olicity fans".

It's this kind of attitude that bugs me. I don't know if they don't want to be dismissed as being "shippers", so they deny it, or if they are actually against it, in that case, why not mention it?There is nothing wrong if you don't like it, but at least don't be fake or condescending. Campea had no problem saying to SA's face he thought Laurel was a bunch of crap, at least he always said what he truly thought. With them, I'm not sure if they really think something or are going with the flow.

I hope I made myself clear :)

Edited by looptab
  • Love 5

Early reviewers are drinking the koolaid - here are reviews posted at EW, ComicBookResources, 411mania, MoviePilot (two reviews), and DenofGeek...

Arrow  Ep. 13 | Aired Feb 11
BY CHANCELLOR AGARD Posted February 11 2015
http://www.ew.com/recap/arrow-season-3-episode-13

Quite fittingly, “Canaries” was all about family, both our place within them and responsibility to them. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that “Canaries” was another excellent installment of our favorite superhero show since if there’s one thing Arrow does better than the comic book drama, it’s the family drama.
The next time [Laurel] fights the Count and is drugged, she is able to overcome the fear-inducing toxin and kick his ass because she realizes that she’s not a fraud and is a valuable member of Team/Family Arrow.

‘Arrow’ Recap: Laurel Overcomes Doubt (and Vertigo) in ‘Canaries’
Thursday, February 12th, 2015 at 4:17am PST - by Marc Buxton
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2015/02/12/arrow-recap-laurel-overcomes-doubt-and-vertigo-in-canaries/

Now, I’ve been rather rough on Laurel. I’ve criticized her selfishness and her lack of integrity; I even called her a sociopathic adrenaline junkie. Well, Laurel goes a long way to winning me over this week, as she not only overcomes her guilt in replacing Sara but also comes clean to her father about her sister’s death in a heart-wrenching scene that finds her cradling her sobbing, grief-stricken father.

Arrow Review: 3.13 – ‘Canaries’
February 11, 2015 | Posted by Anthony Falco
http://411mania.com/movies/arrow-review-3-13-canaries/

Yes, not all of it succeeds, yet ‘Canaries’ is actually my favorite in the second half of season three.

Arrow Delivers A Good Episode As It Starts To Build Up To The Grand Finale
Review of Arrow by Arend Habbema
http://moviepilot.com/reviews/2015/02/12/arrow-delivers-a-good-episode-as-it-starts-to-build-up-to-the-grand-finale-2686193?lt_source=external,manual

This was my personal favorite scene of the episode. Not only was it perfectly written so that it makes you feel for a bit like Laurel isn't going to tell her dad after all, the acting was spot on. I am personally not a fan of Laurel and how Katie Cassidy portrays the badass Black Canary, but this was my favorite scene from her so far.

Arrow Season 3 Episode 13 "Canaries" Review
by Sean Donovan ⋅ Posted on February 11th, 2015 at 11:27pm
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/02/12/arrow-season-3-episode-13-canaries-review-2686252?lt_source=external,manual

The whole "Canary" arc for Laurel has been an interesting one and I'm sad to see it go. It's strengthened Laurel's character more than at any other point in the show and has established as a hero. She really is one of the city's protector now, and like Matt Murdock, she can do it both in the courtroom and on the streets.  Who knew lawyers would make great super-heroes.

Arrow: Canaries review
Review Mike Cecchini 2/11/2015 at 9:54PM
http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/arrow/243652/arrow-canaries-review

Well, this was a different kind of Arrow episode, wasn't it? I believe I've used this word infrequently to describe this show, but tonight's was a "mature" episode. Not in like a sex and violence way, but in a "we don't have to wow you with fan service and crazy action every other scene" kind of way. It worked.
Edited by tv echo

I'm not surprised that it got good reviews, most of these people just seem to like to see a bunch of people running around in costumes fighting bad guys. If you want to see actual character development watch a different show.

This episode may have also turned me off The Flash, they are all really terrible at writing female characters. I'm just glad I have Agent Carter for 2 more weeks, then Orphan Black, Game of Thrones and Outlander start back up in April. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 9

The AVClub review thinks the episode was a mess, but apparently thinks that bodes well for the rest of this season (?!)...

Arrow: “Canaries”
That was kind of a mess. But my goodness, what a mess!

By Alasdair Wilkins  Feb 11, 2015 9:30 PM
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/arrow-canaries-215143

It’s almost inevitable that, if a show runs long enough, it will become a tangled mess. Plotlines pile atop one another, character histories are redefined and recontextualized in response to shifting narrative needs, and every new series-redefining twist pushes the show ever further from its original premise, for better or worse. That tends to be particularly true of CW shows, which burn through story at an astonishing rate, and Arrow is no exception.
“Canaries” is a big, messy episode, and it’s generally all the better for it....  And that’s why “Canaries” bodes well for the rest of the season: This is all total chaos. The show has been running far too long and doing far too many things for that to not be the case. But Arrow is starting to feel self-assured in its chaos. That’s really all the show needs to reel off a great endgame for the season.
Edited by tv echo

^ Yeah, see, that's why I said that I can't take ign reviews seriously.  WTH kind of fucked up logic is that?!  "It's a mess, so the rest of the season will be awesome."  No, it's a mess, so the rest of the season is going to be one giant fucked up mess.  

• Love 9

After not reviewing Arrow for awhile (since "The Climb"), Alan Sepinwall is back with a short review of "Canaries" - he actually makes a few good points (including what I've quoted below)...

Review: 'Arrow' - 'Canaries': Secrets and lies
By Alan Sepinwall  @Sepinwall | THURSDAY, FEB 12, 2015 11:00 AM
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-arrow-canaries-secrets-and-lies

And Oliver's new partnership with Merlyn provides the least contrived reason yet to keep things distant between him and Felicity; they're not apart because of some misunderstanding, or a boring obstacle love interest, but because of a difference in the core values of who they each are as people. And that's much more compelling, and respectful of them both, than the usual shenanigans that would have to be deployed at this point in a will-they/won't-they scenario.
Edited by tv echo

And here's Robert Dougherty's review of "Canaries" (it's a good one - a 'must-read' since he says what a lot of us here feel, I believe)...

Arrow S3: E13 -- 'Canaries'
By Robert Dougherty February 12, 2015 11:04AM EST
http://www.themovienetwork.com/review/arrow-s3-e13-canaries

That review linked to another article by Dougherty that's definitely worth reading...
My Alternate 'Arrow' Approach For Last Week & Rest Of Season Three
By Robert Dougherty Feb 10, 2015 01:00 PM
http://www.themovienetwork.com/article/my-alternate-arrow-approach-last-week-rest-season-three

Apparently, Dougherty is now going to write his Arrow editorials on Tuesday morning and his episode reviews on Wednesday nights.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

And here we go with Pajiba...

10 Reasons the Third Season of 'Arrow' Is Way Off Its Game
By Craig Wack | TV Reviews | February 12, 2015 |
http://www.pajiba.com/tv_reviews/10-reasons-the-third-season-of-arrow-is-way-off-its-game.php

Even though the hallucination of Sara Lance spoke for most of Arrow’s fandom during the cold open of the latest episode “Canaries,” Lawwrel has by far not been the sole reason that the show has seemed off its game this season.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7

Interesting how Sepinwall picked out the decent parts of the episode and reviewed "Canaries" without mentioning the Canaries part at all.

One of the most -- actually, only -- interesting things to me about the Black Canary arc is how little discussion or analysis there's been about Laurel since it started. Her thread here has been completely dead, but even at more Laurel-friendly haunts, she mostly gets mentioned in passing. Her transition to BC isn't exactly lighting the world on fire.

• Love 11

The HeroesandHeartbreakers review is always fun to read...

Arrow 3x13 Olicity Heart-to-Heart: Family Circle
MARILYN_PORTER   FEB 12 2015 11:30AM
http://www.heroesandheartbreakers.com/blogs/2015/02/arrow-season-3-episode-13-olicity-heart-to-heart-family-circle

Waller tortures Oliver, trying to get him to talk and tell her where the Yamashiros went. She reveals that she’s had the voicemail deleted and threatens to have Thea killed if Oliver doesn’t cooperate. That’s what gets Oliver to buckle. I find it interesting…in season 1, the threat would have been against Laurel. Times change, huh?
Now, I know a lot of fans have a problem with this scene, especially where she said Laurel has a light inside of her that Sara never had. I understand why; its the wrong words. My niece, who I watch the episodes with, said Laurel isn’t a light, she’s the dark part of everything. That did make me laugh. But I think the message, where she tells Laurel that she needs to be herself and not Sara, is a good one.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

One of the most -- actually, only -- interesting things to me about the Black Canary arc is how little discussion or analysis there's been about Laurel since it started. Her thread here has been completely dead, but even at more Laurel-friendly haunts, she mostly gets mentioned in passing. Her transition to BC isn't exactly lighting the world on fire.

Has #BlackCanary trended for any significant length of time during this entire arc? I know it did once, but it was a blink-and-miss-it moment. #Canaries trended for like 3 minutes last night and never again, not even during the West Coast feed. So where are all the people clamoring for her to suit up?

I was thinking about this today actually. During the hiatus I used to come on this forum and Laurel's thread would pretty much always be at the top of the page of discussions, with people talking about what they liked or didn't like, what they felt could be done differently with Laurel and all the hopes for s3. Now I've hardly seen it. It's like everyone's just accepted whatever is happening and it's pretty shrug worthy tbh. Not what I imagined for the great BC. 

And here's Robert Dougherty's review of "Canaries" (it's a good one - a 'must-read' since he says what a lot of us here feel, I believe)...

Arrow S3: E13 -- 'Canaries'

By Robert Dougherty February 12, 2015 11:04AM EST

http://www.themovienetwork.com/review/arrow-s3-e13-canaries

From that review:

Of course, those who are turning on Arrow for everyone piling onto Oliver and his choices will be much less happy, to the point of turning on the team – even Felicity – when they should turn on the show for not letting them argue obvious actual alternatives to Oliver’s poor decisions. But since that has to be saved until April/May 2015, or after Malcolm or Ra’s destroy Oliver’s initial plans, that can’t apparently happen here. At the least, Diggle still gets to be a calmer and more reasonable voice after all the yelling is done, while Felicity and Laurel get to show some team bonding on other issues.

This is exactly the point I made the other day, about questioning whether Oliver is being stupid for valid, narrative reasons, or just because it suits the writers. The fact that other characters are not allowed to bring up very sensible, logical and persuasive points to counter his decisions tells me that his stupidity is just to service the plot, rather than a genuine attempt to make the character learn or progress in any way. I absolutely hate it when the Writing is so obvious on a TV show. If you can't come up with valid character and narrative reasons for something, then that's a big sign that it shouldn't happen.

• Love 7

When I finished watching ep 12 I immediately thought that as much as his final scene with Felicity was brilliant acting and truth bomb laden, the plot seemed so contrived. That and the fact that the writers made Oliver's return such a non event. Was he really gone for a month? Should he have stayed dead for longer for me to fully be on board with the team (rightfully) throwing shade at him?

I was convinced that his entire motivation was to service the plot. There is no logical reason to team up with someone scared beyond his wits end to even approach his enemy. Oliver barely beat Malcolm, and he didn't even die. Are we to understand that Malcolm has improved therefore he'd be an asset to Oliver? If that, why would he set up such an elaborate plan that included using and abusing his own daughter, just to get Oliver to take the fall for his sins? None of it makes sense, and I refuse to think that Oliver, who MUST be an intelligent person to survive 5 years of every possible tragedy would even think of teaming up with Malcolm.

It's probably also why I find it difficult to believe in this whole "we're a different team now, fall in line" spiel. The underappreciation for Oliver's death has really taken me out of the entire show. Did they have a memorial? The writers were so intent on Laurel becoming BC that every character beat you'd expect was rushed through or ignored. Now, this well oiled machine that use to put smiles on our faces are at odds seemingly constantly because PLOT DEMANDS IT.

Bitter for days.

Edited by Limbo
  • Love 13

Mixed review from DigitalSpyUK...

Arrow s3, episode 13 'Canaries' recap: Secrets come spilling out
By Morgan Jeffery  Thursday, Feb 12 2015, 12:46 GMT
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s206/arrow/recaps/a628491/arrow-s3-episode-13-canaries-recap-secrets-come-spilling-out.html#~p474ZPnxTAV6uA

It's all most engaging - so where does 'Canaries' fall down? Sorry to say it, but it's Laurel - while I appreciate that Arrow is taking its time in depicting her transition from ADA to capable crime-fighter, too much of what we've seen here is a retread of her previous crises.
It's a twist that allows for Caity Lotz to make a welcome return to the series, but the crux of Laurel's episodic arc is nothing we haven't seen before - she refuses to be talked out of a life of vigilantism, only to suffer a crisis of confidence when her lack of physical experience proves hazardous. Eventually though, a few soothing words (usually from Felicity) are enough to restore her faith.
Edited by tv echo

Mixed review from Paste Magazine...

Arrow Review: “Canaries” (Episode 3.13)
By Mark Rozeman   February 12, 2015  |  4:40pm
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/02/arrow-review-canaries.html

Is it possible to have an episode were[sic] so much happens yet, in the end, you feel as though nothing much was really accomplished? That’s what it felt like watching “Canaries.”
First of all, I need to come straight out and admit that it’s been hard for me to emotionally connect with the Lance family, mostly because Laurel was—with one or two exceptions—such a problem character for so long. Caity Lotz’s Sara helped inject the family drama with some teeth and it’s most likely due to her presence (in the form of Laurel’s drug-addled hallucinations) that the Laurel story works as well as it does.
Edited by tv echo

Generally positive review, but with plenty of criticisms, from SoundOnSight...

Arrow, Ep. 3.13: “Canaries” kicks season three into high gear with a pair of important reveals
Posted on February 12, 2015By Randy Dankievitch
http://www.soundonsight.org/arrow-season-3-episode-13-canaries/

It’s impressive how “Canaries” ends in a completely different reality than it began, unburdened by the show’s two biggest still-existing “secrets” and teasing the audience with a closing tag that sets up next week’s episode as the inverse of Arrow‘s normal world, ...

Another wonderful inverse quality of “Canaries” is how well it portrays its two most difficult characters – both Thea and Laurel are approaching believable human being status, ...
Oliver suddenly accepting [Arsenal and Canary 2.0] as protectors of the city because he needs to run off again is a real convenience, something that betrays the emotional honesty of other scenes with him in the episode. It pairs neatly with Quentin’s immediate acceptance of Laurel running around getting her ass whopped, another moment that only makes sense because the script pushes past it so quickly, nobody has time to contemplate what just happened. Wait, Quentin just said it was cool that Lau- oh wait, is he having a heart attack?
Thea’s decision to not be pissed at Oliver isn’t surprising, simply because her reactions to things are always at random, fitting whatever theme it needs to for that episode. That malleability makes moments like Oliver’s reveal of the Arrow Cave or Thea’s reluctant acceptance of Merlyn as her co-protector more powerful and shallower, all in the same breath; an inconsistent character makes for great drama, but not great resolution, something we’re seeing less and less of as Arrow puts in serious time developing Laurel and Thea, but still something that pops up from time to time (like Oliver being cool with the B squad holding things down again, even though Roy just got somebody killed doing that; he’s cool with it because the script needs him to get his ass out of Starling City, for the most part...
Small pieces don’t work (Felicity is reduced to a shrill whiner in this episode, less of a character than some obligatory dialogue), but the juxtaposition of Oliver’s past and present intersecting suggests that Oliver is about to enter an important new chapter in his journey, a chapter that will be shared with his sister and ex-girlfriend (and sister of other ex-girlfriend), as Oliver learns that he cannot be Absolute Ruler of Team Arrow, even if that means allowing others to put their lives on the line.

Edited by tv echo

Another well-done and snarky review by Jessica Breaux at TV Equals - the whole article is worth reading (there was too much I wanted to quote)...

Arrow “Canaries” Review (Season 3, Episode 13)
By Jessica Breaux   February 12, 2015
http://www.tvequals.com/2015/02/12/arrow-canaries-review-season-3-episode-13/

There were some aspects I really liked, but in almost every case the good was counterbalanced by something frustratingly bad. Unfortunately, the conclusion I reached is that this whole wasn’t greater than the sum of its parts....
Unfortunately, Laurel’s revelation came at the cost of some frustrating and eye-roll inducing moments....
The way that Diggle behaved in this episode was another example of the show writing characters to fit the narrative instead of writing the narrative to fit the characters....
Basically, they said that they don’t need Oliver and he doesn’t get to lead the team anymore. That is complete crap. The whole operation fell apart without Oliver.... They sounded like a bunch of immature, petulant teenagers.
So let me get this straight. [Thea] was aware that Malcolm Merlyn is responsible for the deaths of 503 people including his own son, and she’s figured out how to be ok with that. She knows that he murdered a man who he thought murdered his wife, but that’s alright because he was grieving. She knows that Malcolm Merlyn is an admitted liar, but she’s appalled and offended that he lied to her? Now she’s gone from inexplicably trusting him implicitly to wanting him out of her life because he lied about knowing Oliver’s secret identity? How does that even make sense? ...
Everything that bothered me about the episode really does boil down to just one thing. The fact that the writers are trying to make the characters fit into the story instead of the other way around. They have characters behaving in stupid, out of character ways just so they can move the plot along to the next point. It’s frustrating.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7
Is it possible to have an episode were[sic] so much happens yet, in the end, you feel as though nothing much was really accomplished? That’s what it felt like watching “Canaries.”

Every episode of Pretty Little Liars? lol

• Love 4

Sometimes I wonder if they think they're writing an unpredictable character and end up with inconsistent characterization. Moira was unpredictable yet still pretty consistent IMO, but if they're trying to achieve that this season, the execution is way off. It's good that so many of the reviews are pointing it out.

This snarky review by WeMinoredInFilm looks on the bright side...

ARROW’S “CANARIES” (S3,EP13) & THE RELIEF OF SEEING BAD STORYLINES FINALLY FLUSHED AWAY
Posted on February 12, 2015 by Kelly Konda
http://weminoredinfilm.com/2015/02/12/arrows-canaries-s3ep13-the-relief-of-seeing-bad-storylines-finally-flushed-away/

There’s only so long this show can apologize that Laurel isn’t Sara. You’re either with it or you’re not, Katie Cassidy’s acting and all.
The messy plotting is far from gone, but “Canaries” got a lot of dead weight off of this show.
Emily Rickards’ way of saying, “You’re leaving again?” at the end was beyond perfect. Felicity was in full-on passive-aggressive mode for most of this episode.

arrow-image-colton-haynes-willa-holland-
"So, um, thanks for trying to save me and everything, but how long had you been lurking outside my door? Because I literally just finished having sex with that guy like two minutes before you barged in."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I've quoted the only portion of this ThreeIfBySpace review that I thought worth reading (just my opinion)...

Arrow: 3×13 Review – Canaries
By: Alisha Bjorklund 15 hours ago
http://www.threeifbyspace.net/2015/02/arrow-3x13-review-canaries/

By teaming up with Merlyn, Oliver created a realistic and viable reason to keep him and Felicity apart. Instead of making it a fight about miscommunication or hurt feelings, it’s about a difference in their values. In “Uprising,” Felicity was very clear about her stance and her belief on not cooperating with a monster like Malcolm, and in “Canaries” that stance has not changed. She is still very much a part of Team Arrow because the team is about more than just Oliver now.

But Oliver’s decision is also resolute, and neither of these two will budge in what they believe. So they aren’t together romantically. And that’s good. It’s respectful to them as characters and respectful to the arc of their story together. They need to be apart until their beliefs line up again. And if we get more emotional drama and compelling acting along the way, all the better.

Edited by tv echo

From the We Minored in Film's review:

The two and half seasons of build-up to this moment rendered this a bit of a seismic event in the history of the show, handled with far more grace than that time Katie Cassidy got like 10 second of screen time to react to the cliffhanger revelation that Oliver was the Arrow

LMAO

The two and half seasons of build-up to this moment rendered this a bit of a seismic event in the history of the show, handled with far more grace than that time Katie Cassidy got like 10 second of screen time to react to the cliffhanger revelation that Oliver was the Arrow

That was this moment, right?

75setrH.gif

No, that guy has far more nuance and subtlety.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 5

That was this moment, right?

75setrH.gif

No, that guy has far more nuance and subtlety.

LOL I don't know who thought that scene was worth going on as long as it did, but I want to send him a thank you-note. 

• Love 1