Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

John Campea just tweeted that Arrow has officially jumped the shark and it was fun while it lasted. He is done with it.

I actually didn't expect him to quit.

I just feel so bad for Stephen Amell :/ He seems to really like and value Campea's opinion. It must feel like shit to see him quit. 

• Love 4

Poor Stephen Amell. He probably suspected this, given what the episodes are like.  His comments of "trust the writers" show what a good actor he is.

Hopefully this will be the kick in the pants to the EPs that we haven't been able to give them.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 6

The writers wouldn't care, but I'm pretty sure SA does. He made the effort to get in connect with Campea to appear on his AfterShow.

It can't be a great feeling. I would bet though that SA knew it was coming.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 2

Well he did say if Laurel became BC he would leave so I'm not surprised lol. Surprised he didn't leave earlier tbh. Wasn't a fan of him. I guess Stephen would be a bit disappointed, since they seemed like sorta friends, and he tried to get on the show, but I doubt he's surprised. And tbh the guy was constantly complaining about Laurel all the time, in episodes she wasn't even in. He's not the best person to do an unbiased after show. And i didn't like the way he always tried to dominate himself over the girls. 

Edited by ban1o

Campea may be annoying but he's also someone in the business who gets invited to press events and he cared enough to do an on-line after show that had a lot of viewers.  As he wrote

I was Arrow's most enthusiastic "Arrow-Vangelist", but I can't be a blind fanboy.The @Arrowwriters blind devotion to a dysfunctional character and storyline just killed my love of this show. Bless all who still watch it... it's just not for me anymore.

• Love 9

Campea may be annoying, but he's respected in the industry and, once upon a time, I used to get as excited to listen to their show as I was to watch the actual show, which I haven't watched since midseason. He has always, always been excited about the show, but also has always said making laurel the bc would be the stupidest move ever, esp after how well formed of a super hero they made Sara.

It's also vindicating because it's not about olicity or ships for him, it's just about a good show. It's nice to know those of us who are so disgusted with all of this aren't the only ones. So yeah, he may be annoying, and the writers probably don't care. They don't care about you, me, or john campea. But they should, because we are the ones who (used to) spread the love of the show, buy the DVDs, and oh, yeah, watch. Good for him.

• Love 15

The whole Campea thing is kind of funny to me. The day SA was a guest on the show, Campea tweeted that he would stop watching if Laurel became InstaCanary. Then today, Campea was on that CW Fan Talk thing, and he decides to quit watching the show.

Does anyone know if Alan Sepinwall quit watching the show, too? He usually posts reviews not long after the episode has aired, but he hasn't reviewed these last two episodes. I don't think he's even tweeted about the show since the TCAs where he seemed to be really perturbed by the lack of females on the panel.

Edited by AnyoneButYou
  • Love 2

John Campea just tweeted that Arrow has officially jumped the shark and it was fun while it lasted. He is done with it.

I actually didn't expect him to quit.

LoooL.... He did? Based on what I have read about the episode, I really don't blame him.

I just read his Twitter feed. He also confirmed that he won't be doing the aftershow again. But that Ann and Kaori may continue.

Good for him.

Way to go Arrow writers. Of course they still remain clueless. Ha!

Edited by Chiny11
  • Love 1

I was wondering if he'd actually do it. Good for him. I do feel bad for Stephen, he did seem to like him and his aftershow. It must've been hard to hear Campea saying he'd quit if Laurel became insta Canary knowing exactly that was coming up.

I was wondering if he'd actually do it. Good for him. I do feel bad for Stephen, he did seem to like him and his aftershow. It must've been hard to hear Campea saying he'd quit if Laurel became insta Canary knowing exactly that was coming up.

After watching last night's after show, I'm kind of surprised he did this. I actually don't think it's directly related to them making Laurel BC, because it seemed like he gave it a fair shake last week and this week as well, and he did have some complimentary things to say about the way they handled things. I suspect that if they hadn't sidelined Diggle just to put Laurel out in the field that he'd probably still be watching. IIRC, those were the scenes where he felt the writers insulted the intelligence of the viewership, and I can't say I disagree. 

Damn I can't believe Campnea actually quit watching! Good for him I respect him for keeping to his word. He's right about Sara being a perfectly built Superhero. On to the writers, the show is too Damn dark. It's unsettling that they only care about making things as depressing as possible. That list of what has happened to Oliver since the show started by a fellow poster is alarming. This show can be dark that's fine but they need for viewership to plunge before they hopefully get it. It's not about Olicity but their love story and OG Team Arrow kicking ass are the only reasons I watch. Not to see Diggle and Felicity propping up generally unlikable or dull characters like Laurel and Ray

Focusing on the positive, that WhatCulture article also included this great part about Felicity - yes, I pretty much ignored the "Midnight City" episode (though that won't last, I'm sure)...

The star of Left Behind, however, was Felicity. Emily Bett Rickards managed to take audiences through the five stages of grief in 42 minutes of television. Whether she was cheerfully denying the possibility of Oliver’s death, arguing that Oliver could have survived, or projecting her inability to save the love of her life onto Ray’s crusade to honor his, every single one of her appearances tugged at the heartstrings to a degree so amazingly effective that you almost wanted to look away and allow the character her privacy.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

After watching last night's after show, I'm kind of surprised he did this. I actually don't think it's directly related to them making Laurel BC, because it seemed like he gave it a fair shake last week and this week as well, and he did have some complimentary things to say about the way they handled things. I suspect that if they hadn't sidelined Diggle just to put Laurel out in the field that he'd probably still be watching. IIRC, those were the scenes where he felt the writers insulted the intelligence of the viewership, and I can't say I disagree.

Diggle being sidelined to promote Laurel fighting instead was bullshit. Same for Felicity Diggle and Roy helping Laurel with continually deceiving her father like that.

• Love 2

Does anyone know if Alan Sepinwall quit watching the show, too? He usually posts reviews not long after the episode has aired, but he hasn't reviewed these last two episodes. I don't think he's even tweeted about the show since the TCAs where he seemed to be really perturbed by the lack of females on the panel.

Alan didn't recap last week's show and hasn't tweeted about Arrow since the TCA panel. Mo Ryan and Ryan McGee, who devoted an entire podcast to gushing about Arrow after Season 2, haven't had a word to say about it since around 307. Mo's been pretty silent about it all season on Twitter, but Ryan used to livetweet the episodes. He stopped a few episodes ago, even though he livetweeted this week's episode of The Flash. Regardless of whether their opinions are positive or negative, I miss hearing what they have to say about the show.

Campea may be annoying but he's also someone in the business who gets invited to press events and he cared enough to do an on-line after show that had a lot of viewers.  As he wrote

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed like he was the most well-known and outspoken fan of the show. The writers can shrug him off if they want to, but it's a bad look when a show's most vocal fan decides he's done with it.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 10

Some "Midnight City" reviews (I included reviews that were more than just straight recaps, also a variety of perspectives)...

Arrow Recap: There Is a City to Love
By Jenny Raftery  January 29, 2015 9:04 a.m.
http://www.vulture.com/2015/01/arrow-recap-season-3-episode-11.html

‘Arrow’ Season 3 Recap, Episode 11: ‘Midnight City’
by Matt D. Wilson January 29, 2015 10:00 AM
http://comicsalliance.com/arrow-season-3-recap-episode-11-midnight-city/

Life Begins Now - Midnight City Arrow 3x11 Review
January 29, 2015
http://jbuffyangel.tumblr.com/post/109473596188/life-begins-now-midnight-city-arrow-3x11-review

‘Arrow’ Recap: ‘Midnight City’ 

(says Laurel posing as Sara makes her look like "a manipulative sociopath")
Thursday, January 29th, 2015 at 3:37am PST - by Scott Huve
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2015/01/29/arrow-recap-midnight-city/

'Arrow' Recap: 10 Shocking Moments From 'Midnight City' 

(says Laurel posing as Sara makes her look like "a monster")
Adam Bellotto  January 29th, 2015 9:11am EST
http://www.starpulse.com/news/Adam_Bellotto/2015/01/29/arrow-recap-10-shocking-moments-from-m

'Arrow' 3.11 "Midnight City"
January 29, 2015 6:34 a.m. This review by JediKermit
http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/58439/arrow-311-midnight-city/

Arrow: Midnight City review
Review Mike Cecchini 1/28/2015 at 10:00PM
http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/arrow/243185/arrow-midnight-city-review

Arrow: “Midnight City”
By Alasdair Wilkins  Jan 28, 2015 9:30 PM
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/arrow-midnight-city-214501

ARROW: "MIDNIGHT CITY" REVIEW
JESSE SCHEDEEN  JANUARY 28, 2015
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/29/arrow-midnight-city-review

Arrow #311 - Midnight City Review
by Gregg Katzman on January 28, 2015
http://www.comicvine.com/reviews/arrow-episode-311-midnight-city/1900-3844/

Arrow Season 3 Episode 11 Review – ‘Midnight City’
JANUARY 29, 2015 BY JESSIE ROBERTSON
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2015/01/arrow-season-3-episode-11-review-midnight-city.html

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

It looks like Alan Sepinwall stopped reviewing Arrow after "The Climb".  Here's the listing of Arrow reviews posted at HitFix:  http://www.hitfix.com/tv/arrow/recaps

Edited by tv echo

I don't think he quit watching (in that sense) but he indicated before the midseason premieres that with so many shows returning and new ones coming up he won't be able to do reviews of every ep and will just binge-watch at some point and do catch-up reviews. He mentioned "The Flash" and "Arrow" among the shows he won't review regularly.

I'm not sure I'd read to much into the Sepinwall thing - he's never reviewed Arrow on a weekly basis. He's done it more frequently this season than before, but even then it wasn't every episode. For the most part, it's been one of those shows that he watches regularly, but only does reviews for when it's a particularly big episode, or when there's not a whole lot else going on in TV land. And I'm pretty sure this time of year is when most of the major critics are swamped, with the combination of TCAs and the influx of new and returning midseason shows to review.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 1

Focusing on the positive, that WhatCulture article also included this great part about Felicity - yes, I pretty much ignored the "Midnight City" episode (though that won't last, I'm sure)...

I love that even as the EPs are doing their best to limit their best actors' screentime to prop up the weakest actor on the show the reviews are still singling out EBR's work. It must be making MG insane to see that we aren't all falling for his KC/Laurel obsession.

And good for Campea for quitting the show. For those who are trying to spin this as not a big deal, they are wrong. Campea brought a lot of attention to Arrow and losing his voice promoting Arrow will hurt the show in the long-run.

Respect to Campea for quitting. He said he would and I admire people who stick to their guns. I honestly thought he was all talk about that tbh. MG apparently doesn't even know what the After Show is (per tumblr) so I'm sure it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to him but it says a lot when a very enthusiastic fan who has had SA on his show actually quits. 

I agreed with most of the things he said too. They sidelined Diggle and wrote Felicity so OOC just to make Laurel fit, it really is insulting as a viewer. I'm probably just going to stop watching for a while and maybe marathon it later because getting frustrated about a storyline that's not going to change is getting me nowhere.

Alan didn't recap last week's show and hasn't tweeted about Arrow since the TCA panel. Mo Ryan and Ryan McGee, who devoted an entire podcast to gushing about Arrow after Season 2, haven't had a word to say about it since around 307. Mo's been pretty silent about it all season on Twitter, but Ryan used to livetweet the episodes. He stopped a few episodes ago, even though he livetweeted this week's episode of The Flash. Regardless of whether their opinions are positive or negative, I miss hearing what they have to say about the show.

Those are some painful hits to take for online fandom. Respected media outlets enjoying your show always feels good, and provides you with plenty of food for thought after episodes. That they've all quit might actually resonate just a tiny bit with the blockheads running the show. I wouldn't be surprised if Guggenheim pretends to believe it's just because they're Laurel Haters, though.

That is a review that basically considers the episode - Meh/Ok - nothing too spectacular but also nothing to write home about. (They don't even mention Ray)  I wonder though how many reviews he does actually read. Does he read one and the same or does he just share the one that criticizes the episode the least? 

OK...I have not read all the reviews online. Please could someone help me with a summary? Do the critics "Love" the episode and the New Canary? ?

I haven't read many but of the ones I did read most (all?) Hated that Laurel pretended to be Sara to fool Lance. Most praised Roy and Brick. I didn't see any out right praise for Laurel. I saw one that said Laurel/Roy all dressed up were visually pleasing (something like that).

So, I would say most reviews reduce to good episode because of Roy and Brick. The Sara/Laurel bits were horrible and a few liked Ray/Felicity banter.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I haven't read many but of the ones I did read most (all?) Hated that Laurel pretended to be Sara to fool Lance. Most praised Roy and Brick. I didn't see any out right praise for Laurel. I saw one that said Laurel/Roy all dressed up were visually pleasing (something like that).

So, I would say most reviews reduce to good episode because of Roy and Brick. The Sara/Laurel bits were horrible and a few liked Ray/Felicity banter.

Thank you :)

One thing that I really appreciated about the reviews that I read, is that they were really calling out bad behavior this week. A lot of the ones pointed out the OOC behavior (i.e. the dumbing down of Diggle and Felicity) and the absolute cruelty of Laurel's behavior. Prior reviews mentioned that Quentin should be told but dismissed it as a poor plot point. But after this week, there was no dismissal. I particularly enjoyed the one that called Laurel out for abusing her power and calling her a manipulative sociopath. 

• Love 5

A few reviews did love Laurel as the new BC, but they tended to gloss over her pretending to be her sister to her father (instead, describing it as a painful, heartbreaking scene for Laurel).  But many of them did indeed hate that Laurel pretended to be her sister to fool her father.

And here's Entertainment Weekly's review of an "excellent episode":

Arrow 'Midnight City'
BY CHANCELLOR AGARD  Posted January 29 2015 — 1:25 AM EST
http://www.ew.com/recap/arrow-season-3-episode-11

Edited by tv echo

The snark in the comments to this article cheered my day immensely. :)

I may need help. (Lol)

I'm reading now, and I particularly love the snark coming from Alexander.  Good stuff!

I occasionally read that jbuffyangel person's tumblr, but I often find that her posts are too logical and thoughtful.  I had to stop reading because I knew that the writers don't put even a fraction of effort into thinking about things as she does, so I was just setting myself up for disappointment by hoping that the predictions she was making would come true.  For example, the red/blue Matrix thing...jbuffyangel (Jen?) still thinks that's intentional even though MG said it wasn't, and from seeing the ego that man has, I believe without a doubt that he would take credit for that if it was on purpose.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 5

The snark in the comments to this article cheered my day immensely. :)

I may need help. (Lol)

Hahaha Alexander is hilarious. There's one post where he shows a gif with Caity Lotz being awesome in the gym, doing flips and kicks and ish, to Lawwwwwwrel who jumped onto a van and stumbled. That made me laugh so much.

• Love 4

Apparently Jen @jbuffyangel got a lot of complaints this week regarding "Midnight City".  Here's her response:

Negativity

January 30, 2015

http://jbuffyangel.tumblr.com/post/109567389658/negativity

THAT. WAS. THE. POINT.  The episode was SUPPOSE TO DRIVE US NUTS. Remember what Stephen said? His reactions for the next few episodes? What did he do for 3x11? He sighed. A huge, frustrated, irritated, exasperated sigh.

Once again. The captain is right.

The team is redefining itself. It’s also short a fucking spectacular superhero. Nobody can do what Oliver can do. Not Roy. Not Laurel. Not Felicity. And no…NOT DIGGLE.  THERE IS A REASON HE’S THE ARROW.  And they are going to make illogical decisions.

I guess it wasn't as obvious as I thought it was. 

Oliver is gone. Everyone is running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Laurel is trying reeeealy hard to be Sara and failing spectacularly. 

I am surprise the detractors didn't appreciate that. 

Well considering what Oliver said to Diggle in the promo, and Diggle's response I find it difficult to reconcile with what JBuffyAngel is saying. Obviously we'll have to see what happens but...eh I don't know.

• Love 1

Eh. Look, I know a lot of people on tumblr hold jbuffyangel up as some sort of oracle, but she's just a fan like everyone else. She has a right to her opinion obviously, but she's not always right (the red pen/blue pen thing that SonofaBiscuit mentioned for example). She writes well and has some very well thought out posts, but I'm not convinced that the writers put nearly as much thought into this show as she does.

And just as an aside, if I was an Olicity fan I would be hoping that Olicity ended up faring better than her other OTPs (Bangel and Stelena).

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 9

I hardly ever agree with what Jbuffyangel says but I think it's funny how everyone treats her like the Olicity oracle. Some negative spoiler comes out and everyone rushes to her inbox for placating. I think she's let it go to her head tbh, but maybe that's just me.

Anyway, I came here to post one of my favorite reviewers. Again, I think she's just a fan like us but she's always spot on, mostly. It's fairly short this time because really, what do you say about that mess of an episode?

https://wewatchfortheplot.wordpress.com/2015/01/30/the-black-canary-cries/