Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

I'm totally siding with the critics on this episode. The praise and understanding for Felicity. The appreciation for Team Arrow. The whatever attitude to BC.

Its the fandom I can't stand right now. I don't understand some of these responses.

• Love 4

Thanks so much for that Pajiba review, it cracked me up.  I've never seen The Last Airbender movie, but my brother assures me that it was some terrible shit.  Oh God, I am so looking forward to the snark after next week's episode. Laurel and Roy front and center?  This will be awesome.

From the EW reviewer:

Chancellor Agard @chancelloragard  · 

Dream crossover: Alicia Florrick goes up against Laurel in court. #TheGoodWife #Arrow

Alicia Florrick would SLAY Laurel. Not only would she slay Laurel, but she would pee on Laurel's grave. Alicia is just a badass in court. I'm even sure Cary Agos would hand Laurel's ass to her. And don't even get me started with Diane Lockhart and Laurel. 

• Love 8

Alicia Florrick would SLAY Laurel. Not only would she slay Laurel, but she would pee on Laurel's grave. Alicia is just a badass in court. I'm even sure Cary Agos would hand Laurel's ass to her. And don't even get me started with Diane Lockhart and Laurel. 

I'm pretty sure anyone who has watched The Good Wife would be qualified to hand Laurel the Lawyer her ass. 

• Love 11

I'm pretty sure anyone who has watched The Good Wife would be qualified to hand Laurel the Lawyer her ass. 

Lmao I just showed my husband that tweet and all he did was laugh and say that even the janitors at his law firm could beat Laurel in a court room. Poor Lawwrel. 

Um I'm with Katie on the wig, Sara's wig fucking SUCKED. Not because it was curly though just because it always looked like a wig that was just about to fly off her head and the idea that it did not fly off her head whilst kicking ass bugged me every time, I loved on Gotham when Jada just emphasized Fish's shifty wig having ways and straightened it after kicking the Penguin's ass.

But Laurel is wearing Sara's wig.  So if Sara's C wig is curly, but Laurel's BC wig is straight, did Laurel take time to use an iron and straighten the curls out on Sara's wig before putting it on?

In previous years the CW was often referred to as "the pretty people network". Plot and writing didn't matter, it was just all about how pretty the cast was (Gossip Girl, Melrose Place,  One Tree Hill, 90210, Hart of Dixie, etc). 

Remember the WB (which the CW replaced)?  The WB was sometimes referred to as the White & Beautiful network.

• Love 3

During her first audition for Arrow, Caity Lotz was told she didn't have the right look for the CW. So we should probably make it the "pretty stick figure people network"

Really? But you could put Caity Lotz on pretty much any CW show and she'd fit in fine.

• Love 2

Since Arrow is apparently aimed at the male demo (according to Pedowitz), I came across this brief review of "Left Behind" by a male fan and found it interesting...

FAST Minute Review for ARROW Season 3 Episode 10
Published on Jan. 23, 2015, by J.A.F.R.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

But Laurel is wearing Sara's wig.  So if Sara's C wig is curly, but Laurel's BC wig is straight, did Laurel take time to use an iron and straighten the curls out on Sara's wig before putting it on?

A girl's got to have her priorities, ya know?I

It did look like Sara's wig ironed out, and not the straight platinum one from the promo picture.

• Love 1

Another recap/review of "Left Behind" (with sure-to-be controversial quote below)...

Can We Get A John Diggle Spin-Off Show? Recapping Arrow 3.10: “Left Behind”

By Rich Epstein  Posted January 23, 2015 

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/01/23/can-get-john-diggle-spin-off-show-recapping-arrow-3-10-left-behind/

Meanwhile, can Felicity Smoak please get a break sometime soon? So far this season, she has had nothing but heartbreak. First nearly getting Oliver after being in love with him for so long, only to see it fall apart, then she gets the news that Sara died, then she finds out her ex-lover is still alive but totally evil and now Oliver is dead. Luckily, Emily Bett Rickards has proven capable of handling it.  I don’t know if Rickards is that much better of an actress than Katie Cassidy and Willa Holland, or if Felicity’s character is better written, but there is a huge difference between emotional scenes featuring Felicity and those with Laurel and Thea. Too often, the writers have a big scene between Laurel and Oliver or her father, or between Thea and Oliver or (last season) her mother, and it would be tedious to watch. Meanwhile, Rickards manages to take the audience on the emotional journey with her.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 14

Moira/Thea scenes were tedious to watch? Huh? I thought they had one of the better relationships on the show even with minimal screen time, and Thea's reaction to Moira dying in front of her is certainly better acted than any of EBR's emotional scenes, imo. (EBR was great in Left Behind, though).

• Love 1

Another recap/review of "Left Behind" (with sure-to-be controversial quote below)...

Can We Get A John Diggle Spin-Off Show? Recapping Arrow 3.10: “Left Behind”

By Rich Epstein  Posted January 23, 2015 

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/01/23/can-get-john-diggle-spin-off-show-recapping-arrow-3-10-left-behind/

I don't really buy EBR's emotional scenes any more than I buy KC's but frankly no one on this show has made me cry before. The closest I've come is with The Huntress. But I'll tell ya that Diggle spinoff idea got my attention for damn sure. The Suicide Squad episode of Season 2 is what brought me into this show!

Edited by slayer2

'Arrow’ Review/Recap: “Left Behind”
Posted on January 25, 2015  Nora Dominick ‘17 / Emertainment Monthly Staff Writer
http://emertainmentmonthly.com/2015/01/25/arrow-reviewrecap-left-behind/

Rickards, who has become the breakout actor on Arrow these past three years, flawlessly acted this scene. She has become a major character on this show and continues to stun fans in her dramatic scenes. Rickards acting is exceptional and it’s hard to believe this is her first major acting role.
Edited by tv echo

Actually, her #5 Scumbag Ollie moment was wrong ("Using Felicity's feelings for him as a cover to save Laurel.").  He was trying to save Starling City, not just Laurel.  ARGUS was going to destroy the city, killing its citizens, if Oliver didn't stop Slade - but Oliver couldn't get close enough to Slade to inject him with the mirakuru cure, so he used Felicity to do it.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Actually, her #5 Scumbag Ollie moment was wrong ("Using Felicity's feelings for him as a cover to save Laurel."). He was trying to save Starling City, not just Laurel. ARGUS was going to destroy the city, killing its citizens, if Oliver didn't stop Slade - but Oliver couldn't get close enough to Slade to inject him with the mirakuru cure, so he used Felicity to do it.

I agree about that, but the part about the flirting and the job, plus the other points were spot on :)

I agree about that, but the part about the flirting and the job, plus the other points were spot on :)

I don't agree no. 5 that was implying that Oliver didn't have genuine feelings for Felicity, and flirting was deliberate and calculated which it hasn't been since 1.14

• Love 3

I don't agree no. 5 that was implying that Oliver didn't have genuine feelings for Felicity, and flirting was deliberate and calculated which it hasn't been since 1.14

True, it was implying that, and I don't share the author's opinion in that regard; still, even without those bias the job issue and the flirting were slightly in douche territory, IMO. Anyway it was a fun list, just that :)

DC is releasing an Arrow novel, and a companion paperback for the show called (unsurprisingly) Heroes and Villains:

http://dccomicsnews.com/2015/01/25/arrow-gets-first-novel-based-cw-hit-show/

Companion: 

Two release dates to keep in mind if you’re looking for something DC-related to read: the first is the companion paperback, Arrow – Heroes and Villains by Nick Aires and due to be released on February 3, 2015. This companion book features in-depth character breakdowns of Oliver Queen, Laurel Lance, Slade Wilson and many more. The book is a perfect gift for the Arrow enthusiast, or for those hardcore Arrow fans who want to expand their knowledge base on the characters of the show.

I wonder if there will only be "costumed" heroes listed in that one. Based on the description...not sure. 

Novel:

The second book, and the one we at DC Comics News are most excited to read, is a new novel based on the Warner Bros. hit TV show Arrow. The book is titled Arrow – Vengeance by Oscar Balderrama and Lauren Certo and is due to be released on March 31, 2015. You can pre-order the book on Amazon for $7.49 for the Kindle version or $7.99 for the Mass Market Paperback being offered by Titan Books.

I recall news about the novel being posted somewhere, but I hadn't seen anything about the show's companion book.

Edited by apinknightmare

I looked up both those books on Amazon and am not inspired to buy either one because they seem focused on season 1 (my least favorite season).  

Amazon also lists a third book called Arrow - Oliver Queen's Dossier, coming out September 8, 2015, that sounds more interesting (it's hardcover, priced $15.45):

Arrow - ​Oliver Queen's Dossier collates the intelligence Oliver Queen has uncovered on nefarious business dealings and criminal activity in Starling City, with "top secret" records on his alter-ego Arrow since his return from Lian Yu. Includes hard copy duplicates of confidential government and business documents acquired by Oliver and Felicity Smoak, top secret schematics for Arrow's weaponry, and Queen family records.

http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Oliver-Dossier-Titan-Books/dp/1783295228/ref=pd_sim_b_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RKZEPG88CHE7JFGGGTM

Edited by tv echo

Trini posted an interview with AK on The Flash boards, but this quote stuck out to me and gives a bit of insight into Arrow. There's a bit of talk about Arrow as well and the Felicity/Ray crossover.

http://collider.com/the-flash-andrew-kreisberg-interview/

KREISBERG:  [snip for The Flash stuff]  I think one of the great strengths of The Flash is just how close everyone is on the show.  They tend not to have these raging conflicts, like what we keep giving everybody on Arrow.  That show is more of a soap opera, and I don’t say that derogatorily.  I’m one third responsible for that soap opera.  But there, we always think to ourselves, “How can we hurt these people more?  What’s the worst thing we can do to Thea?  What’s the worst thing we can do to Laurel?  What’s the worst thing we can do to Oliver?”  And the drama comes from there.  Part of the strength of The Flash is that the drama comes from how these people who have banded together and love and trust each other, and how they deal with conflicts that come their way.

So, I'm actually glad to know that they actually view how to break their characters in horrible ways while writing. I can stop hoping for a bit of light on this show. I don't understand the need to punish these characters (I do get obstacles and angst) but jeez, they just go all in on Arrow, huh?

• Love 12

Trini posted an interview with AK on The Flash boards, but this quote stuck out to me and gives a bit of insight into Arrow. There's a bit of talk about Arrow as well and the Felicity/Ray crossover.

So, I'm actually glad to know that they actually view how to break their characters in horrible ways while writing. I can stop hoping for a bit of light on this show. I don't understand the need to punish these characters (I do get obstacles and angst) but jeez, they just go all in on Arrow, huh?

Must be from the Joss Whedon school. ..a happy Buffy is a boring Buffy. ..sucked for me, I only liked Buffy when she was happy/funny...sad/depressed/broken/bitter Buffy was boring and annoying.
  • Love 5

I do appreciate that he admits "Arrow" is more of a soap opera. Not that people are going to stop complaining and claiming Olicity is turning it into one (if I get a nickel every time I read that ... )

It is annoying isn't it LOL but seriously it's a damn Shame they can't write some happiness

Dear Andrew, soap operas are find and good in their way but everyone has to have some happiness for longer than 4 minutes or else it gets boring.

From wewatchfortheplot review above:

I felt like those sorts of emotional beats — Felicity getting scared and begging someone she considers a “friend” not to go down the same path as Oliver — would’ve been better served in future scenes with Laurel. Imagine that exact dialogue, the crying and the pleading, to Laurel. Laurel, who so desperately wants to do something for reasons we already understand. Imagine how emotionally charged those scenes could’ve been.

While in theory it might have been done better with Laurel, I don't think Katie Cassidy would have been up to it.   (I'm afraid they're still going to do it though as Laurel's Canary arc continues.

The other problem is that while Ray is a newcomer on the show, Felicity is still closer to him than she is to Laurel. Much closer.

• Love 3

Yeah, it just seems like a horrible way to approach a show and its characters; and I was surprised he just flat out stated it that way.

• Love 8

Yeah, it just seems like a horrible way to approach a show and its characters; and I was surprised he just flat out stated it that way.

I'm stunned too. What a shitty way to create conflict and drama.

• Love 2

People need to blow up his Twitter and tell him that's a shitty way to write a drama too much Goddamn angst can turn people off a show. Hell this season alone has soured me. Newbie Ray shoved down my throat,Laurel being fasttracked to BC,Sara being killed ,Olicity Angst, Oliver Dying, Thea being forced to kill Sara cause of Malcolm. There is a thing as too much depression

• Love 5

I'm still firmly convinced that the worse thing that ever happened to Arrow was The Flash.  Don't get me wrong--I really enjoy that show, but its existence has created this need for the Arrow/Flash EPs to suck every last ounce of joy out of Arrow so no one can possibly accuse it of being its cute and fluffy sister show.  Nobody wants Arrow to take on the tone of The Flash, but now instead of getting little happy moments scattered throughout Arrow's heavy storylines like we did in S1 and most of S2, we now get nothing but death, doom, and gloom.  I don't know how TPTB expect that trend to work in the long run.  I'm already exhausted and we're not even 50% through the season.  Reading MG's Tumblr responses only leads me to believe it's only going to get worse.  Sadly, I don't think I have the energy for more of it. 

• Love 17

The fact that Arrow was becoming way to depressing for my tastes, where I wondered why Oliver even bothers to get up in the morning is the main reason I stopped watching. Now that I know they are writing Arrow depressing on purpose I won't be coming back. 

• Love 2

The fact that Arrow was becoming way to depressing for my tastes, where I wondered why Oliver even bothers to get up in the morning is the main reason I stopped watching. Now that I know they are writing Arrow depressing on purpose I won't be coming back.

It angers me the show can be dark without being constanly depressing. If this really continues I hope they lose more viewers. Diggle, Felicity and Oliver along with Olicity and the Action are the reasons I tune in not all the death and getting unlikable uninteresting characters shoved down my throats. BUT I also want some happiness this GD show does not need to be so depressing

• Love 5

That WhatCulture review succinctly summaries the problem with Laurel/BC in a nutshell:

Burdened with a comic destiny from which producers have proved unwilling to diverge, Laurel Lance has become one of the least popular characters of Arrow. The character has failed to earn any of her major arcs, and even her supposed crucible of drugs and alcohol was almost entirely told rather than shown. If she was going to become a master martial artist equal to her sister, Laurel was going to need time and a soft touch for audiences to accept her. Sadly, she has been given neither, and her unfocused quest for vengeance has consisted of little more than lectures to Team Arrow and a series of boxing lessons.

Left Behind actually allows Laurel a lovely moment with Diggle in the Arrow cave that proves that Laurel is best when integrated rather than shoehorned into a plot. The show goes right ahead and ruins that moment, however, by panning over Sara’s heretofore unknown alternate leather Canary suit that is on display for absolutely no reason whatsoever. There is then presumably a lengthy time lapse as Laurel reads a handy “how-to” book on sonic devices, figures out all of the 8,000 buckles on her suit, and stops at a pharmacy to pick up some black lipstick before she heads out to pound on a few of Brick’s goons.

“I’m the justice you can’t run from,” she says impressively. People will try Laurel, people will try.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 15

John Campea just tweeted that Arrow has officially jumped the shark and it was fun while it lasted. He is done with it.

I actually didn't expect him to quit.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 3