Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Review of 3x23 by Erik Kain, Forbes contributor - he doesn't think the Oliver & Felicity romance works, and that the only pairing that made sense was Oliver & Sara (I guess we aren't watching the same show)...

'Arrow' Season 3 Finale Review: Now What?

Erik Kain  5/14/2015 @ 7:21PM 35,205 views

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/05/14/arrow-season-3-finale-review-now-what/

He posted another article about how "Olicity" must die. Considering he thinks Sara Lance was killed to make way for Oliver and Felicity, I'm very confused as to what show he's watching.

• Love 10
(edited)

Arrow S03E23: What worked, what didn't, and what needs to happen next

Laura Hurley 

http://www.examiner.com/article/arrow-s03e23-what-worked-what-didn-t-and-what-needs-to-happen-next

Seeing Oliver take three high-powered shots to the chest and stumble backward off of the edge of the dam was a genuine shock, and the turn of events was so abrupt that it was nearly impossible for viewers to regain their wits in time to realize that there was no way that Oliver was going to actually die. On the other hand, if Oliver had not been shot, Felicity would have been denied the opportunity to get a truly epic save as she zoomed in wearing the ATOM suit to snag Oliver out of the air.

Admittedly, Felicity handling the tech to perfection on her first go stretches the suspension of disbelief a bit too far for comfort. Nevertheless, Felicity's giggly breathlessness at the fact that her crazy plan had actually worked and Oliver's half-laughing, half-crying, entirely overwhelmed expression as he realized that it had been his fun-sized acrophobic lady love who had come to his rescue in the giant suit managed to offset the ridiculousness. The entire sequence was capped off nicely when Oliver strode over, ripped the helmet off of her head, and kissed the breath out of her.

Oh, wait. That didn’t happen.

It totally should have.

Use your imaginations, folks.

If only :p

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 8

That's how to be an actor. Take something that's not believable and make it work some other way. That's why so many people loved Felicity in the atom suit saving Oliver.

That's why to me and to others the insta-"heroes" don't work because they don't make it work. With the BC it was all the stunt person doing everything.

• Love 7

I just have to disagree with anyone who thinks that Felicity knowing how to use the suit is unbelievable. From what was shown on screen (and admittedly maybe this is coming from my anti-ray bias), Felicity did a lot of the hard work when it came to making the suit functional. She's the one who fixed the original tech, and she worked on that suit a lot. Maybe not as much as Ray, but I'd definitely say she did a fair amount of the work on it. 

Like, criticisms such as how did she fit in the suit I get, but how did she work the suit makes no sense to me whatsoever because she helped make the suit, so why wouldn't she know how to use it? 

• Love 14

I agree, the "When did she read the control manual?" criticisms.I don't get because as far as I'm concerned, she co-wrote the friggin' manual.  And as a poster at TVLine pointed out, the suit has soft parts between the hard ones so it could have been scrunched up to fit her.

The "how did she fly it so perfectly?" I think has more validity because the show spent so much time showing how Ray was bumbling and awkward in the suit for humor (e.g. when he arrived in Central City and crashed into the pavement), that it left the impression you need to be a Top Gun to fly it.

(edited)

The "how did she fly it so perfectly?" I think has more validity because the show spent so much time showing how Ray was bumbling and awkward in the suit for humor (e.g. when he arrived in Central City and crashed into the pavement), that it left the impression you need to be a Top Gun to fly it.

Actually that made sense to me since a large part of that was suit functionality. I thought that's why Ray worked with Cisco and had no problems flying at the end if 118. It wasn't so much that Ray didn't know how to fly it but that the suit wasn't responding as expected. At least that's what I thought. Not to mention the suit probably has a radio in it so Ray could have easily walked her through it.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

Well obviously it's because women are better drivers than men are. ;-) I drove a stick for years---I actually prefer them because they're more fun to drive and are better-suited to my driving style---and you would not believe how many people have expressed surprise that I was able to do so. Unfortunately, manual transmissions are rare in the U.S. these days, so the only time I get to drive one is when I'm renting a car overseas.

• Love 3
(edited)

It's really irked me that some of the recaps and reviews about the finale have been nitpicky with the whole Felicity flying in the ATOM suit thing.

Couldn't Ray fly in the suit pretty much immediately? After he has his post-sex epiphany, he's flying around outside the window with no big issues. I don't recall him having problems flying in 3x17 either. So, if Ray could pilot the suit right away, I don't get why it is such an issue for others if Felicity does the exact same thing.

Edited by GirlvsTV
  • Love 8

It's really irked me that some of the recaps and reviews about the finale have been nitpicky with the whole Felicity flying in the ATOM suit thing.

Couldn't Ray fly in the suit pretty much immediately? After he has his post-sex epiphany, he's flying around outside the window with no big issues. I don't recall him having problems flying in 3x17 either. So, if Ray could pilot the suit right away, I don't get why it is such an issue for others if Felicity does the exact same thing.

But Felicity is a girl. And she's whiny and she cries all the time with her emotions and she's only comic relief. She has no place flying the ATOM suit! 

3x23 reviews for O/F fans...

Arrow: My Name Is Oliver Queen Recap – An Epic and Romantic Finale!
By Autumn Topping @SilverPetticoat · On May 14, 2015
http://www.silverpetticoatreview.com/2015/05/14/arrow-my-name-is-oliver-queen-recap-an-epic-and-romantic-finale/

Arrow 3x23 Olicity Heart-to-Heart: Identity Crisis
MARILYN PORTER  THU  MAY 14 2015 12:00PM
http://www.heroesandheartbreakers.com/blogs/2015/05/arrow-season-3-episode-23-olicity-heart-to-heart-identity-crisis

(edited)

Arrow’ Review/Recap: “My Name Is Oliver Queen”
Posted on May 16, 2015  By Nora Dominick ‘17
http://emertainmentmonthly.com/2015/05/16/arrow-reviewrecap-my-name-is-oliver-queen/

Amell and Rickards seem to be the heart and soul of Arrow. Without the two of them putting everything they have into every scene, facial expression, and stunt sequence, Arrow would not be the show it is today. Throughout season three, their chemistry has been pushed to the breaking point as Felicity and Oliver began to take incredible strides towards becoming a couple. This season they went through hell and back. They started by going on a date, to getting blown up, to barely speaking to each other, to sleeping together and now they are trying to mend their relationship once again. Amell and Rickards have unmatchable chemistry. There hasn’t been two actors with so much sexual tension and chemistry since Jennifer Aniston and David Schwimmer sent fans hearts soaring with the will-they-or-won’t-they storylines of Rachel and Ross on Friends. This Arrow finale was all about the two of them and it all started with one of the most uplifting and powerful monologues delivered by Ms. Rickards.

...Upon believing he can’t beat Ra’s al Ghul, Felicity tells Oliver, “Oliver Queen can’t. The Arrow can’t. Both those men tried and both those men failed…You’re no longer either of those men. You’ve become someone else. You’ve become something else… This is different now because despite your best efforts you’ve let yourself feel something… It’s your key to beating Ra’s. Don’t fight to die. Fight to live.” Rickards delivers a stunning performance and further proves that Arrow would not exist without Felicity Megan Smoak.
... Talk about a major plot twist. Can Oliver and Felicity finally have their happy ending free of villains and crime-fighting? Let’s be honest that would be lovely but fans love it more when Felicity and Oliver are dueling villains and saving Starling City side by side.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

They are romance writers but they don't see how Oliver and Felicity could continue after this? It will get boring fast? Man, I worry for their books. Olicity has quite a bit of following among romance writers and most of the tweets I've seen are very excited, that they see this as a chance for "Arrow" to distinguish itself with a solid couple anchoring it. There's still a lot of conflict to mine from Oliver and Felicity's relationship and writers who can't see that, well, maybe they need to expand their imaginations a little.

• Love 15

Well, the great news is that Arrow isn't a romance novel. So the show doesn't need to build a plot that exists mostly as window-dressing to a romance, throwing in tons of romantic obstacles, and then ending before there is time to get "boring."

Now that the EPs have exhausted the Nolan Batman trilogy, I'm hoping they will look to the Iron Man movies for inspiration. We've mentioned this before, but I mean, Pepper and Tony (especially in IM3, but also in their brief moments in the first Avengers movie) are really the ideal for how a romantic relationship and partnership can feel real, solid, and still compelling even after the will-they-won't-they has been settled.

• Love 18

Series: This Week's TV MVPs - Week 13

" (....) Stephen and Emily's chemistry is so natural and elevates each to their very best, thus elevating Oliver and Felicity to their very best. Which is why any separation between the two characters feels unnatural. Each character is a hero in their own right. Each actor is a talent in their own right. Yet, the combination of Oliver and Felicity and Amell and Rickard's charts unforeseen and unimaginable levels of emotion and depth. They are simply the heart and soul of Arrow. (...)"

http://www.itsjustaboutwrite.com/2015/05/series-this-weeks-tv-mvps-week-13.html?m=1

• Love 8
(edited)

Man, this really irritates me. It's like Arrow and Stephen Amell's (and the rest of the casts') hard work to make Arrow so successful is not even acknowledged here. Seriously. This just supports my bitterness post that Arrow was sacrificed for The Flash.

Debra Birnbaum ‏@debrabirnbaum 17m17 minutes ago

Six shows, one superproducer: This week’s @Variety cover features @GBerlanti w/stars @grantgust & @MelissaBenoist. pic.twitter.com/6HvKBzeh97

And yes I know Stephen might not have been available for the photo but not mentioning the mothership in the blurb is my bigger issue.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 4

I wouldn't read too much into this one cover--for all we know, Stephen could have had a shooting/con commitment elsewhere that prevented his participation here. Your other point, however, is valid. I think Arrow definitely suffered as a result of GB & Co. bringing The Flash to TV. On the other hand, with LoT focusing Guggenheim's attention away from Arrow, that might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Lots of unknowns going into S4.

• Love 2

I've been reading the Romance Novelists reviews for a while now and 90% of the time I found them to be nonsensical so I don't pay much attention to them. However, I do find the romance aspect of their review a bit baffling. They're viewing this episode like it's the end of the book, like two characters getting together is the end of the story when they should KNOW that that's only the beginning. It's like they believe all of Oliver/Felicity's issues have been solved by the time they got on that car and drove into the sunset, when that's not true. They simply now have the time to figure out their issues together

Any good romance novelist should know that getting together is probably less than half the battle. Staying together is where it gets interesting because you can't keep apart a couple for more than couple of seasons, that's just ridiculously exhausting because a normal romance book can be up to 600 pages, but a season is way more than that. I don't think they understand that. 

BUT the romance novelists do have a point. The writers are going to have to work HARD to make Oliver/Felicity work in the long run in order for them not to get boring. They're going to have to make their relationship dynamic, they're going to have to create a little bit of conflict from time to time, they're going to have to not screw it up. I hope the writers can achieve this. It's only season 4, they have a few more seasons left, I hope they succeed. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Man, this really irritates me. It's like Arrow and Stephen Amell's (and the rest of the casts') hard work to make Arrow so successful is not even acknowledged here. Seriously. This just supports my bitterness post that Arrow was sacrificed for The Flash.

Debra Birnbaum ‏@debrabirnbaum 17m17 minutes ago

Six shows, one superproducer: This week’s @Variety cover features @GBerlanti w/stars @grantgust & @MelissaBenoist. pic.twitter.com/6HvKBzeh97

And yes I know Stephen might not have been available for the photo but not mentioning the mothership in the blurb is my bigger issue.

IA. It wouldn't matter that much to me if it wasn't a pattern we've been seeing for a while now: pushing aside Arrow in favor of the other superhero shows.

Edited by rainydawn
  • Love 2

The romance writers seem more chick lit than romance anyway - it's not like they are Woodiwiss or Garwood or Susan Elizabeth Phillips or Roberts or even current Lindsey. *shrugs*

Ah, that makes more sense. I was actually truly baffled regarding their position with O/F. Most chick lits I've read (I don't really remember how long ago this was but I think I used to read a lot of them in middle school) usually did end with the guy and the girl getting together so that makes sense. 

I think it's because Greg Berlanti doesn't really care for Arrow anymore

I don't think he cares at all and it pisses me off because without Arrow, he doesn't get Flash and it would be nice and respectful if this would be acknowledged by him.

• Love 3

I don't think he cares at all and it pisses me off because without Arrow, he doesn't get Flash and it would be nice and respectful if this would be acknowledged by him.

lmao you know it's bad when Berlanti tweets a congratulations to the Flash team for getting Leo nominations but not EBR or Arrow. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I like the fact that several comments posted below Debra Birnbaum's tweet asked about the absence of SA from the Variety cover.

Regarding the romance novelists' review - Thinking about it, I'm now not surprised at their viewpoint.  Romance novels usually end once the couple gets together.  Therefore, many romance writers rarely have to think about a story for what happens to them afterwards - you just assume that the couple lives happily ever after (like a fairy tale).  If a romance writer brings back a couple in a later book in a shared universe, they're usually just a happily married supporting couple.  Of course, there are exceptions for really epic romances - like Outlander - that span several books.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I like the fact that several comments posted below Debra Birnbaum's tweet asked about the absence of SA from the Variety cover.

Actually it just shows Arrow fans to be over sensitive. The tag line is six shows, one producer, so at least four shows don't have their star included.

I would pick Grant and Melissa over Stephen everyday. They're bright, intelligent interviewees who've really got something to say.

• Love 1

Of those other four shows, The Mysteries of Laura is a borderline failure (from NBC's point of view) that was only renewed for a half season, and DC's Legends of Tomorrow isn't starting up until January. So yes, I think there is a good reason to ask why fall shows Blindspot and Arrow weren't featured on the cover as well, and it has nothing to do with the actors and what they do or don't have to say. 

With that said, a) although it seems to have a speculative element, Blindspot isn't a superhero show, so it's possible Berlanti/Variety didn't want to feature it on the cover with two costumed superheroes, b) Blindspot probably isn't nearly as much of a financial risk as Supergirl - it's secured a pretty solid place on NBC's lineup and features known actors, c) Arrow gained viewers this year and is reportedly doing very well with post-view revenue (DVD sales/downloads), and (correctly or not) the CW, WB and Berlanti probably figure that it's more or less moved into the Supernatural category of having a reliable core fanbase - and it's kinda doubtful that three years in, a Variety cover will do much for Arrow one way or another; d) Flash is the major success of the CW right now, so it makes sense to highlight it in an article praising Berlanti; e) Supergirl is a financial risk. The pilot was reportedly very expensive; that timeslot is iffy; and CBS is not exactly the first network I would have thought of for that show.

So I completely understand why Berlanti is focusing promotional efforts on Supergirl, not the established Arrow, and I don't think it's any slight on Arrow at all. 

• Love 5

lmao you know it's bad when Berlanti tweets a congratulations to the Flash team for getting Leo nominations but not EBR or Arrow.

Wow that doesn't look good at all EBR is a gem and he is someone who helped her get her big break he should show some support. People should tweet at him his blunder

(edited)

LivingtheGeekLife stopped reviewing Arrow episodes after 3x12 - but surprisingly returned to review 3x23...

REVIEW – ARROW, “MY NAME IS OLIVER QUEEN”
05.17.15  by Living the Geek Life
https://livingthegeeklife.wordpress.com/2015/05/17/review-arrow-my-name-is-oliver-queen/

What Hit the Target

I know that many fans will balk at the Olicity ending of this and recent episodes (and I agree it was a bit heavy handed), but I liked the way things keep circling back to Felicity and Oliver despite comic canon. There’s a natural chemistry there and I hope it doesn’t get undone next year.

It’s also great that the show is proving itself willing to shake up the status quo and make permanent changes to the characters. While watching the scenes of everyone being mad at Oliver, I was secretly hoping that this time it would stick and Team Arrow wouldn’t return to a boring and redundant status quo. Stephen Amell assures us that things will indeed remain altered next year, and I hope he’s right. That potential wasn’t quite played out enough after Oliver ‘died’ in the winter finale, “The Climb.” Let’s follow through better this time, writers.

Miniaturization technology and a terrible accident… I smell awesome ATOM mini-action in our future!

What Missed the Mark

I’m ambivalent about Thea taking over the red mantle. Her transformation from whiny CW teen to supposed badass ninja still doesn’t feel earned (although at least it’s better than Laurel’s was). On the other hand, at least she might have a reason to be on the show now, aside from giving Oliver reason to feel bad.

Also suffering from questionable writing is Quentin Lance. It was uncomfortable to watch him turmed into a nemesis in recent episodes, and now they’ve suddenly decided to add him drinking again. That revelatory scene with Laurel seemed to come out of the blue and wasn’t worthy of the character. Then they wrote him suddenly softening about Team Arrow, undercutting the arc they’d put him on. His characterization was just weak in this final episode.

Barry’s crossover appearance was fun but way too short. His excuse for not sticking around and his speech were both less than stellar additions to the episode.

Is everyone making superhero costumes that are ‘one size fits all’ now? Is there some kind of one-hour costume tailoring shop open all night in Starling City? Or is Team Arrow just exceptionally good at resewing leather outfits on the fly…?

The Final Tally

As always, Arrow delivers a solid season finale filled with both character work and good action. Although Oliver defeats Rah’s a little too easily given their last encounter, it’s a solid climax. Team Arrow suffers some permanent changes due to the story arcs this year, which will hopefully bring fun new things in the coming year.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

The CW Upfront: It's All About The Flash
Oriana Schwindt  |  May 14, 2015 1:00pm
http://www.tvinsider.com/article/1632/upfronts-2015-the-cw-presentation/

Pedowitz placed heavy, heavy emphasis on The Flash's success, extending to the Flash/Arrow crossover event from December that will now be a once-a-season event; such is the appeal of the two shows that as soon as Flash's Grant Gustin and Arrow's Stephen Amell stepped onto the stage to introduce the midseason DC's Legends of Tomorrow (semi-enthusiastic audience response), every smartphone in the room at the New York City Center switched into camera mode.

Though the network is trying to attract more menfolk—specifically, 18-34—with costumed crusaders, this morning's star was the effervescent Rodriguez, who gave yet another emotional speech on a stage. This one was for advertisers, though, and if she can be that heartfelt, thanking them for supporting not just her dreams, but those of her castmates and every other actor given a second chance, she's either one of the most genuine people on the planet, or she deserves every acting award in existence. Or possibly both.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Another S3 post-mortem article (this writer considers the introduction of Ray/Atom and the Barry/Flash crossovers to be the "ups" of the season)...

“Arrow” misses its target
Written by Adrian Garcia  May 19, 2015 at 6:03 am
http://www.highlandernews.org/18510/arrow-misses-its-target/

Season three of “Arrow” had big shoes to fill after its stellar season two, but unfortunately this season had small feet that just couldn’t fit into those shoes. Season three lacks focus. Sure, the main story of The League is there, but there are too many episodes and subplots that make you wonder why they are there in the first place. For example, one episode solely focuses on Felicity Smoak and her college boyfriend-turned cyber terrorist who kidnaps said character’s mother. The episode has no real impact in further developments of the season. Having too many filler episodes is a problem with TV shows nowadays, and unfortunately “Arrow” has been bitten by this bug.
Another irksome factor this season was how it handled some of its once-great characters. In the past seasons, especially in season two, Felicity was a highlight of “Arrow.” She was smart, hilarious, quirky and overall a joy to watch on the show, helping Oliver with her useful gadgets. In season three, that changed drastically: I’m not exaggerating when I tell you she was say, moody and crying in almost every episode this season. No offense to Rickards, who portrays her, but the writers this season just didn’t do her justice. Arrow’s Red Archer sidekick Arsenal is given a similar treatment and was reduced to more of an afterthought throughout the season.
Arrow” in general is a great show to watch in the landscape of superhero TV shows. Season three definitely takes a step back with weak story and characterization. It has memorable moments in its introduction of new characters and their interactions with the rest of the cast. But overall, season three definitely has more downs than ups, making for a just okay season. Here’s hoping that wherever they go for season four, the writers stick to what made the previous seasons great.
Edited by tv echo

Again, the issue is not so much Stephen not being on the cover...it's that Arrow itself is being dismissed as to it's importance in getting this ball rolling. Even in the article it's calling The Flash the successor to Arrow as though Arrow is going away.  Maybe it is and we just don't know it yet.  

That's my beef more than Stephen not being on the cover.  

• Love 3
(edited)

THAT GIRL: Felicity Smoak

"(... )

If you asked me what the word “heroine” means, without looking in the dictionary I would answer that a heroine is a woman with super powers and not so easy to find, perhaps because that is what we’ve been told. But as I looked it up for its definition I found out that there’s a heroine in every corner. “Heroine” is described as a woman admired or idealized for her courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

The reason why I am writing about television and the real meaning of being a heroine is because of a specific female character of a TV show that has caught my attention, Felicity Smoak. (...)"                                                                           http://www.iamthatgirl.com/that_girl_felicity_smoak?utm_content=buffer1c8a0&utm_medium=iatgsocial&                                                                         
Edited by Morena