Type keyword(s) to search

Wheel Of Fortune - General Discussion

• Start Topic

If you were on the show and made it to the bonus round, do you think you'd have the nerve to use the consonants like Q, X, J , Z instead of the more common ones?

I just asked because don't they seem to try to use them a lot in the bonus round?

Because Q, X, Y and Z are uncommonly-used letters - which is why they also carry the highest point values in Scrabble - and the odds of them appearing in any particular word are low compared to other letters. You'd just be wasting your guess to pick them, unless you already figured out the puzzle and knew they would be there.

• Love 1

Tunia

Yest. 11:43 am

For no particular reason, the letter W is always the first consonant I throw out (unless the puzzle answer is otherwise obvious).  I might also try a G, K, P or V.

LOL - Quoting myself from yesterday, tonight would have been my night!  "Unique Point of View"

ETA:  Does anyone here know of anyone who's ever collected on the $5K Spin ID?

Edited by Tunia
Lots and lots of zombies

Seriously. Good grief, these puzzles are getting stupid. Like the bonus round puzzle - VALUABLE IDEA. They had it revealed up to  _ _ L _ _ _ LE    _ DE _. I figured out IDEA, and I guessed the first word must be VALUABLE because the term "VALUABLE IDEA" is not only not really a "thing" but also makes no sense, and so therefore it had to be the correct answer.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 2

I'd like to think it was some kind of strategy, to not call any letters that might actually be in the puzzle and possibly give the other two players enough to solve when they call their own letters? Didn't work, though, and she looked mighty stupid just standing there unable to come up with a damn letter.

She had poor sportsmanship -- that's my take on it. She didn't call any letters because she didn't want the two guys to benefit from them and figure out the puzzle (because of a letter she may have called). So, her plan was to benefit from the other contestants' letters, hope that neither of them could solve so she could outsmart them, and then call a letter when she knew that she could solve the puzzle, and go on to the final to play for the big prize.

For that, she was a big jerk, and I'm glad she didn't get the final puzzle.

Eh, it was strategy, not being a jerk. She was very calculated about increasing her chances of solving the puzzle herself, which is the point of the game, after all. I mean, why would you want to help the other contestants solve the puzzle so you won't? But it was too obvious and it just looked very ... game-y. This is Wheel of Fortune, lady. Save it for Jeopardy. (And I don't like it there, either.) I don't think it's a particularly good strategy, though, because as we saw, there is a very good chance  - good enough that it's not worth the gamble - that the other players will call enough correct letters and solve the puzzle before it comes back around to your turn again. She probably would have had better chances calling normal letters from the start - there likely would have been enough up there for her to figure out the puzzle when she was on her second turn.

I see elsewhere online that some people think her strategy was actually to help the other players win some money, since she more or less took everything in the rest of the game. They think she made sure not to call any letters that were in the puzzle so she wouldn't take any money opportunities from them, leaving the real letters, and money, on the table for them to pick and then solve the puzzle. If you say so, internet.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 1

I must admit that I shook my head at the woman guessing Z and Q and X....and not even guessing a turn or two in the final round.  I read an interesting take on it elsewhere, and it actually might make sense.

The episode was honoring Veterans, and all three contestants were Vets.  I read that she was trying to ensure that the others got a chance to take home some prize money.  She already had her spot pretty much locked in to win, so.....

Personally, I find that answer more palatable than not wanting to give the other people ANY clues whatsoever.  But I do admit to always trying to give people the benefit of the doubt.

• Love 1

I've given some more thought to the "generosity" theory and it doesn't hold up, unless her goal was to be so generous as to lose the whole game. She had some $13,000 going into that round. There were 13 consonants in the puzzle; at $1,600 each, that's $20,800 on the board. A player would only have to call 9 of the letters and solve and they would have beaten her total. If she had, say, $45,000 or something, then it would have been okay - no matter what, they couldn't beat her, so let them have it. But they could have easily beaten her $13,000 if she kept letting them have all the letters.

Edited by Chicken Wing

While I was watching, I thought she was absolutely being kind and allowing someone else to win.  Maybe she's not so great at math and calculated poorly when it came to figuring out if she was assured the big win no matter what happened on the last puzzle.   Or it could have been true what she said at the very end, that she was happy enough winning the trip to Belize.  Unless she had a stroke in between puzzles, there is no way she went from being an excellent solver to not even being able to come up with a letter to guess on a nearly blank board.  I have decided to believe she is a kind person who is not greedy.

• Love 1

Yeah, whatever she was doing, she was doing it on purpose. We saw her play in the rest of the episode. She clearly knows the letters in the alphabet. That's literally the only prerequisite to appear on this show.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 1

Ok, this is somewhat side-topic, but I would like an answer.

When they show the Hawaiian destination prizes, they usually show a sky view of a beachfront structure that is shaped like a figure 8 with an additional loop on top.  Is this a hotel or some other popular venue? Not a pretty structure in my opinion, but if I got a trip there I would sure not turn it down!

I have noticed that a lot of this people don't looked thrilled or surprised when they win the $33,000 in the Bonus Round. They really need to switch up that wheel. You rarely ever get $45,000 or a car. Granted, I wouldn't turn down $33,000 but for the sake of a game show (that makes a lot of money) they need to up the odds of getting something other $33,000. IMO!!

Tonight's Bonus Round puzzle was a PLACE and the puzzle was OFFICE PARK. What the heck is that? Does that mean a park near your office? You office is in a park? I've never heard it phrased that way before. Am I being dumb or am I thinking too logically about it?

We have so many office parks in New England that I presumed they were pretty common everywhere, but apparently not.  Is the term "industrial park" familiar to those who don't know of office parks?  The difference is that industrial parks allow for light manufacturing, assembly, distribution and the like, whereas office parks are generally company headquarters or branches bunched together, usually in an attractive setting.  I think most places probably have both, but they're just referred to using other terms.   ???

Dumb person here again. The Bonus Round puzzle was a thing and the answer PIGEONHOLE. I got it right it off the bat but the contestant didn't. Is Pigeonhole really a ""thing"? Isn't it used as a verb or a noun?

I've only ever heard "pigeonhole" used as a verb, but apparently it is an actual thing.

From Merriam Webster:

Full Definition of pigeonhole
1:  a hole or small recess for pigeons to nest
2:  a small open compartment (as in a desk or cabinet) for keeping letters or documents
3:  a neat category which usually fails to reflect actual complexities

In any case, there were enough letters revealed on the board that the contestant really, really should have gotten it.

Thanks, Chicken Wing. It was pretty easy but I was thrown off by the clue title as THING. I said it out loud but then I was like, "that can't be right". I want d the contestants to win because she was such a good player.

Ok, this may have been a rerun (not sure if all the Saturday shows are reruns or not), but there was a gal racking up a bunch of cash and prizes and she kept spinning and spinning............until she landed on bankrupt.

The solution was "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" and there were only maybe 4 letters missing, the "s" and "c" in absence and the "g" and "w" in grow.

I can't believe she did not know the answer, was just greedy and it cost her.

Pretty dumb.

Category: What are you doing?

_ A T C H I N G

_ E _ I C A N S

Something to that effect ^^^^^

I was hoping someone would guess: WATCHING MEXICANS. Only bc it's JUST AS RIDICULOUS as the correct answer: WATCHING PELICANS.

Show. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I think you're done.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 1

Yes, and the fact that the one girl got the difficult bonus round redeemed them for wanting to solve, then GETTING A VOWEL in the speed-up round. Pat seemed really exasperated as that was literally throwing away $1,600.

• Love 3

Yes, and the fact that the one girl got the difficult bonus round redeemed them for wanting to solve, then GETTING A VOWEL in the speed-up round. Pat seemed really exasperated as that was literally throwing away $1,600.

That reminds me of something similar that happened during the final round a few seasons ago.  The guy said he was going to solve, then Pat asked if he wanted to call a letter and the contestant calmly goes "Nope, I want to solve" and then solved the puzzle.  That had to be one of the strangest things I've seen on the show.

This weeks it's pairs week. The puzzle was a Prize Puzzle and the answer was GONDOLA RIDE THROUGH VENICE. The wife answered it correctly. Pat says to the husband, "let's check your geography knowledge. What country do ou think we're sending you to?" First, the husband says Paris. The wife looks away and then he thinks he has it now. He then says France. The audience and other couples are laughing. The wife says do we still get it? Which cracked Pat up even more. Pat says apparently you know your husband well. Too funny!

Secondly, they went on to the Bonus Round and won. They won the $33,000 prize. My question is......isn't the the $33,000 the most uneventful prize? Most of the contestants don't look that thrilled with it. I've said this before but I don't know what the mini wheel breakdown is but they really need to shake up the prizes there. More cars? Bigger cash? More $100,000?

• Love 1

What were those huge things in tonight's (Feb 22) winner's ears?  Earrings?  I couldn't even look at him.  I have to say I was surprised he didn't at least get "magic" - there really aren't a lot of words with a "g" in the middle.

I don't get why people don't hop on the Express when they land on it.  Like the guy from tonight's (3/7/16) episode, he landed on the Express space, refused to jump on it and ended up solving the puzzle anyway.  How is the Express any riskier than keeping on spinning and possibly landing on bankrupt?

• Love 1
(edited)

In normal play, you go bankrupt only if you happen to land on Bankrupt. In Express, you go bankrupt if you call a wrong letter - an action that would have only resulted in losing your turn during a normal spin. Still, I think it's foolish not to "hop on" the Express if it's early in the round and you don't have a lot of cash yet to lose, unless you're sitting on the Million Dollar wedge.

Edited by Chicken Wing

Does anyone have a amount of money they wouldn't risk on the mystery piece? I think if I had anything higher than $2500 I wouldn't risk going backrupt. I think Pat always wants the contestant to go for it no matter the amount. I certainly wouldn't risk half a car or a trip for a possible BANKRUPT!