Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Of Children and Travelers

(edited)

Another good episode. Poor Paulina. What a difficult life and for it to end in such a horrible way. At least, Walt was able to save Sophia.

I like how they are bringing Walt and Vic along. Walt is finally beginning to acknowledge his attraction to her or maybe he is just becoming attracted to Vic. They have good chemistry. I like them as a couple even though I think that the age difference is ridiculous and such a trope.

Poor Henry. He is in such a mess. I hope that he is not locked up for the whole season. Also, he might be lucky to still have the bar when he gets out that this rate. Cady is so sweet with Henry. She seems very wary of Branch.

I like that Ferg and Ruby are getting more to do. Branch looks like hell.

Edited by SimoneS

I can't stand the thought that they are putting Walt and Vic together.  I know, to each his own, but not only do I feel no romantic chemistry between the two, but I don't even feel a friendship chemistry.  Together, they truely just leave me cold.

The mystery was a bit blah this week.  I did like the idea that Branch and Ferg were working together well.  In the previews, they showed a scene with Branch sitting in a hospital chair and I think Ferg asking what it's like to be shot.  They must have cut that out - disappointing.

• Love 3

Was Mr Gunther the same guy that was at the reform school?  I didn't think so but there was a resemblance.

No, Gunther was the man who cleaning up and claimed that he was the landlord to the Gunthers who moved away when Vic and Walt  tried to find them. That is how he recognized them at the park and ran away so quickly.

Was something cut?  One minute Sofia is holding the gun on Walt and the next they're driving away together and Walt says he's taking her somewhere better.  How does he know?  Is he so naive about Children's Services or is he going to adopt her?

The part of the mystery that was Walt and Vic investigating was good but Paulina and Sofia were just plot contrivances, which is disappointing because I thought that was the more interesting part.

Was this show so much about the manpain in season 1 when I got hooked on it?  Right now, I feel like it's all about Walt's pain and Henry's pain and Branch's pain and everyone else is just set dressing.

I can't stand the thought that they are putting Walt and Vic together.  I know, to each his own, but not only do I feel no romantic chemistry between the two, but I don't even feel a friendship chemistry.  Together, they truely just leave me cold.

I couldn't agree more.  Blech!  The show has kind of gone off the rails for me.  I thought the case of the week was pretty weak (no pun intended) .  I didn't find it very interesting and there sure seemed to be something missing at the end.  What happened to the dad?  I thought Walt was going to take the girl to the first couple who really seemd like they wanted a daughter, but I guess that wouldn't be his call, really.  The thing with Henry is really getting dragged out.

(edited)

Yeah, I was surprised to see Graham Greene in that bad guy role also. I don't think I have ever seen him in that type of role before. He is a regular cast member on Syfy series, Defiance. I am not a big fan of that show, but I like that his role is not the stereotypical Indian.

The one thing that I found unbelievable is that the prison officials would antagonize and endanger their relationship with Walt in favor of the Graham Greene character. Walt has been sheriff for years. He would have tons of friends and long time allies working in law enforcement and the department corrections. It should be easy for him to have them look out for Henry in the prison.

It just occurred to me; Henry is arrested and has not even been arraigned so why is he locked up with convicted prisoners and not in a county jail? 

I thought Walt was going to take the girl to the first couple who really seemd like they wanted a daughter, but I guess that wouldn't be his call, really.  The thing with Henry is really getting dragged out.

That first couple adopted Paulina and then rehomed her with the Gunther couple, where the father raped her.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

I can't stand the thought that they are putting Walt and Vic together.  I know, to each his own, but not only do I feel no romantic chemistry between the two, but I don't even feel a friendship chemistry.  Together, they truely just leave me cold.

Add me to this chorus.  I do kind of like them as friends/colleagues, but going the romantic route is just too predictable, and I can't see the show or the actors pulling it off.  (And, yeah, I've read the book series.)

One of my issues with the show is the balance between the long-term story lines and the mystery-of-the-week stories.  Some of the broader story arcs are getting lost and it seems with each episode one or the other feels shoe-horned in.  I find myself forgetting which plots have been resolved, and which are still out there (presumably to return in future episodes).

Here's another one who doesn't want Walt and Vic to hook up, but it sure looked to me last night that that's just what things are leading up to:  Vic drinking his beer.  Walt standing there looking at the door to her room.   If they go that route, then I'm out.  Plus, I thought I saw the woman who played Lizzie on another show, Night Shift.  If that was her, then I wonder how they will write her out of Longmire.

I thought the plot of the week was boring.  

I hope they don't drag Henry's story line out for the entire season. 

Add me to this chorus.  I do kind of like them as friends/colleagues, but going the romantic route is just too predictable

Another one on the list. I don't want Vic and Walt to hook up because it's so predictable. Zzzzzz.

If Henry keeps getting beaten up in jail, he has a strong basis for a lawsuit, I'd think. Why isn't anyone trying to get him into protective custody? This whole story is dumb.

The CoW was simultaneously too short and drawn out. That's an interesting thing to pull off.

Another one on the list. I don't want Vic and Walt to hook up because it's so predictable. Zzzzzz.

The CoW was simultaneously too short and drawn out. That's an interesting thing to pull off.

LOL--but I know exactly what you mean about the CoW.

I love the book series because of the characters, and that's what brought me to the TV series.  I do have two "issues" with the books, however, and it pains me to see the TV show following suit first with one of my "issues" and now--presumably--with the other.  (I don't want to spoil anything for people who might read the series someday.)

I've continued to read the books because in them I feel the positive still outweighs the negative, but I'm not so sure the TV series will hold me that much longer, especially if, on top of everything else, it "goes there" with Walt and Vic.

Please please no Wic on Longmire.  Walt is too straight-arrow to hook up with a married woman.  It would wreck the character.  Vic needs to quit drinking his beer and painting on her uniforms.  Loved how Walt answered the phone at the Pony.  He's trying.  And giving the douchey guy and his girl beers instead of their snooty drinks?  Greatness.  

(edited)

Loved how Walt answered the phone at the Pony

Me too. What were his exact words? Something like: Happy day at the Pony *hand wave*

The cinematographers and related folks on all the other crime shows should be made to watch the scene where they first found Polina's body under the bridge with the water lit by moonlight.

ETA: I loved that the only time Walt smiled in the episode was when Sophia said he reminded her of Polina.

Yeah, I agree, unless he or someone at the station adopts her, it seems unlikely she will have a happy home. But I guess "someplace better" isn't saying much anyway.

Edited by shapeshifter

What is it Henry usually answers the phone with? Something like (and don't forget Henry never uses contractions) "It is a beautiful day at the Red Pony <something> and soiree" I think. Walt tried, but only Henry can pull that off.

I don't think I've ever seen Graham Greene, who played the "godfather" of the tribe in prison, play a bad guy.  He was a major character in "Dances With Wolves".

He used to play Mr. Crabby Tree on Dudley the Dragon.  My daughter was terrified of him.

The one thing that I found unbelievable is that the prison officials would antagonize and endanger their relationship with Walt in favor of the Graham Greene character. Walt has been sheriff for years. He would have tons of friends and long time allies working in law enforcement and the department corrections. It should be easy for him to have them look out for Henry in the prison.

It just occurred to me; Henry is arrested and has not even been arraigned so why is he locked up with convicted prisoners and not in a county jail?

I don't really care about Wic one way or the  other, except that I hate that she's married and he's in a relationship with a woman who is attractive and trying really hard, so yeah, I guess I don't like it but what's going to drive me from the show is the really bad plotting and storytelling for the sake of the emotional jolts.  Like Henry being in what looks like prison when he hasn't been arraigned yet, like the prison officials not letting Walt speak to him on the phone because another prisoner said so, or cancelling his meeting with his lawyer and then giving him someone incompetent so we can see Cady defend him.

The Paulina story was badly done in terms of logic. We never got an explanation as why she would terrorize the first family so that we would wonder if they were the ones who had killed her, we never found out why Paulina didn't report the sexual abuse at the school so that Sofia would be saved, or why, if she needed to be extracted, they didn't do something about the Gunther family.  If the child-swapping websites do exist (how?  wouldn't the kids need documentation?) why didn't Vic report it to the FBI or some other agency?  All they did in the station was throw up their hands and say 'it's anonymous, we can't do anything about it'.

(edited)
If the child-swapping websites do exist (how?  wouldn't the kids need documentation?)

I wouldn't be surprised if those kinds of sites existed. The Internet can be a very ugly place. As for the kids' documentation—I assume you're talking about adoption papers and that sort of thing—I think it's either faked or ignored. I also think the original adoptions might not be entirely legal in the first place, and that's why this sort of thing can happen. 

Vic throwing up her hands saying "it's anonymous" was about trying to figure out where the people were operating from. That's why they made up a daughter, so they could get more solid information.

Edited by dubbel zout

I wouldn't be surprised if those kinds of sites existed. The Internet can be a very ugly place. As for the kids' documentation—I assume you're talking about adoption papers and that sort of thing—I think it's either faked or ignored. I also think the original adoptions might not be entirely legal in the first place, and that's why this sort of thing can happen. 

Vic throwing up her hands saying "it's anonymous" was about trying to figure out where the people were operating from. That's why they made up a daughter, so they could get more solid information.

"Rehoming" is a real thing.  I remember reading a couple articles about it last fall or winter; I think NBC also did something on the topic.  It's pretty disturbing.  I remember thinking last night that whomever wrote that episode had probably seen or read the same things I did!

• Love 1

When I first started watching the show, I could have gone for a Walt/Vic mixup, but as I have gotten to know the characters and their backgrounds, not so much. Its pretty clear that they do care for each other, but knowing that Vic has problems at home, it doesnt come across as true feelings. I think Vic looks at Walt and she sees qualities that she admires and that her husband either used to or doesnt possess. At the end of the day what she loves is what Walt represents, or an idea of who she thinks he is. 

I was a casual viewer until the very end of last season, but I'm more and more on board. The show still has its style, but for me the pace and the plots got better since the end of S2. I have the feeling that two seasons worth of build-up are beginning to pay-off.

I also find the COTWs more compelling. I liked this week's case. I really wonder if Walt is going to adopt the girl. I loved the "Thanks", too.

This show has the best cast, at least for an oldie like me. A.Martinez and Robert Taylor (although I don't think that anyone but me remembers Yellowthread street) were amongst my teenage crushes. Add Gerald McRaney, Peter Weller, Lou Diamond Phillips for the 80's, Lee Tergesen for the 90's...and not an oldie, but Katie Sackhoff never disappoints.

And oh, "it's that girl" moment: Ronnie, the pet mortician, as the school director. Plus, Bex Taylor-Klaus!

I like that Walt and Branch are more on the same side now. The rivalry didn't work for me, somehow. There's baggage between these two but I prefer when there's an awkard mutual understanding between them. It makes Walt less of a Gary Stu (I love him, but he totally *90's giggles* is the cow-boy version of it) and Branch less of a weasel (which he totally was before, imo). I'm also very interested in the Walking Dead guy thingy.

As I said, I was only  casual viewer so far so I must be missing things about Mrs.Longmire's death arc. Walt didn't do it, did he? So if Henry isn't guilty either-this is where I missed things, maybe- I really wish they won't drag this storyline.

On the bright side, Cady finally seems to be more of an asset than a Kim Bauer. Progress!

As for Walt and Vic. Although I'd have been WTF in S1 and early S2, and I'm not fond of a big age difference, now I'm on board. She's on his side, always, and trusts him against everyone -didn't she punch a guy for abandoning him last season? hazy memory-  although she isn't afraid to call him upon his shit/lone hero complex. He seems to trust her and be willing to confide some of his past in her, as much as he can.  And now I see the chemistry.

It's obvious for me that the show is going there, so I hope 1) they won't drag a will they-won't they (which I hate) and instead, just go for it and don't let it mess the whole show's dynamics (because it isn't and shouldn't be the center of it) and 2) she'll be divorced/at least the papers will be sent when it happens.

I'd root for Vic's marriage to work out if it had remotely been presented as a positive relationship (and not as a source of problems, as in 90% of TV pre-show timeline marriages) and if her husband had been introduced as a great guy, for example as the urban version of Walt. Unfortunately, Sean has the personality of a whiny zucchini plate, imo, and the marriage isn't exactly great, Walt or not Walt...but Sean still doesn't "deserve" to be cheated on.

(edited)

I expect that Vic and Sean will divorce or he will get killed off before Walt and Vic give into temptation so Walt's noble cowboy crown does not get tarnished. Given the high rates of adultery in our society, some people get upset when married tv characters have affairs so the writers won't go there. 

As I said, I was only  casual viewer so far so I must be missing things about Mrs.Longmire's death arc. Walt didn't do it, did he? So if Henry isn't guilty either-this is where I missed things, maybe- I really wish they won't drag this storyline.

The story of Walt's wife is so convoluted. Basically Walt attacked the drug addict who killed his wife, the guy stabbed him, he went to Henry for help, and Henry got the elderly Indian healer to stitch up Walt. Henry then hired Hector to kill the drug dealer. Instead Hector beat him up and took out a couple teeth. Basically, we do not know who killed the drug dealer or paid him to kill Walt's wife. Whew, I think that I got it all. I hope this is wrapped up by the end of this season, in case we don't get another one.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
I expect that Vic and Sean will divorce or he will get killed off before Walt and Vic give into temptation so Walt's noble cowboy crown does not get tarnished.

If they are setting up a Vic/Walt thing, I hope they go the divorce route, because I don't want Sean to die to make it convenient for those two.  Unfortunately, I think Sean will get killed because I don't think the writers want Vic's crown tarnished, either.  But, as I said, if they do hook these two up, I won't be watching because I've never  liked Vic.

The story of Walt's wife is so convoluted. Basically Walt attacked the drug addict who killed his wife, the guy stabbed him, he went to Henry for help, and Henry got the elderly Indian healer to stitch up Walt. Henry then hired Hector to kill the drug dealer. Instead Hector beat him up and took out a couple teeth. Basically, we do not know who killed the drug dealer or paid him to kill Walt's wife. Whew, I think that I got it all. I hope this is wrapped up by the end of this season, in case we don't get another one.

Thanks for the recap!

I hope that at least Henry will be cleared at the end of the season. TPTB probably intend to have the murder of Walt's wife as an arc lasting the whole run; so I don't hold my breath for a complete resolution. I certainly hope that Walt and Henry's friendship doesn't get damaged in the process, it's one of my favorite parts of the show.

No, Gunther was the man who cleaning up and claimed that he was the landlord to the Gunthers who moved away when Vic and Walt  tried to find them. That is how he recognized them at the park and ran away so quickly.

Thank you for this! It was obvious from the scene at the park that the viewer was supposed to know Gunther, but I didn't recognize him at all. Guess I have to watch more closely, even though I thought I was!

I thought the Walt/Vic stuff was surprisingly blatant in this episode and it seems very stepped-up from the 'maybe they will' simmer of the previous seasons.  I'm really not happy about that - this table's getting crowded!  I don't see much romantic or sexual chemistry between them, and I don't see why they have to hook up just because they work together.  I was hoping Vic being married meant the show could avoid interoffice UST. 

Branch looked like crap in this episode so kudos to the make-up people; he really looked like somebody who should be recuperating on his couch.  The actor really sold the movements as well.  Every time he tried to walk, I winced for him.  I also enjoyed the sheer and unrelenting awkwardness of the Branch/Cady hug. 

The 'rehoming' aspect of the storyline was genuinely disturbing.  It's horrifying to think that troubled kids can be shipped around like that with absolutely no oversight. 

TPTB probably intend to have the murder of Walt's wife as an arc lasting the whole run; so I don't hold my breath for a complete resolution. 

Unfortunately, I think that you are right. We are going to have to live with the mystery of who killed Walt's wife. I initially thought Nighthorse, but now I think that there is a Big Bad behind the scenes who we have not met as yet.

Thank you for this! It was obvious from the scene at the park that the viewer was supposed to know Gunther, but I didn't recognize him at all. Guess I have to watch more closely, even though I thought I was!

It took a few seconds for me to recognize Gunther so you were not alone. I usually figure out these who dun it stories early on, but in this case, I was genuinely surprised when the "landlord" turned out to be Gunther. He was so convincing when he was misdirecting Walt and Vic.

I am pretty surprised by some people's negative reaction to this week's crime. I thought that it was very well plotted and so tragic. Those poor children being trafficked with little hope of a good life. Paulina came so close to freedom, but she went back to save Sophia and lost her life.

I think the Russian girls plight was tragic and could have been very compelling if it had been done better.  A lot of the way they portrayed it didn't make sense.  I thought it was bad writing and maybe even bad editing.  What was the purpose of portraying the first girl as being totally out of control to the point of slashing the father except as a contrived plot point to make you think that father was the bad guy (She was portrayed as out of control in the orphanage, too.)  Then they re-home the girl (tragic yes, but she basically tried to kill him) and then suddenly she turns into a potential savior for the 2nd girl.  I thought it was a serious subject that they handled very badly.

And please do not put Walt and Vic together!

• Love 3

I am pretty surprised by some people's negative reaction to this week's crime.

It's not that I don't care about the re-homing issue, I've seen stories about it on TV.  However, as it was portrayed on this show, it was written very badly and it didn't make much sense.  That's why I didn't like the COTW.

Count me as one more that did not identify Gunther correctly.  I thought he was the guy from the school where the girls were in the beginning. 

I think it would be great if Walt "adopted" Sophie - we might see a softer side to him and bring the cast back together - making Sophie the new darling of the show.

I just can't stomach Vic.  She reminds me of trailer trash  who would run through the area on a 4-wheeler ripping up the grass and flipping off people.  She'd bed anyone.  I like the husband - Sean does deserve someone nicer.  Pretty hard to have a good marriage with someone with her attitude and foul mouth.

• Love 1
This show has the best cast, at least for an oldie like me. A.Martinez and Robert Taylor (although I don't think that anyone but me remembers Yellowthread street)

(waves hand)  I remember Yellowthread Street!  Too bad it only lasted so short a time.

Jumping on the "no Walt/Vic" train. I was hiding behind my hands last night when they were each in their respective motel rooms, staring at the door. NOOOOOOOO! This pairing just rubs me the wrong way. I do hope that they get Vic's husband out of the way (preferably alive, though) before getting them together, because that certainly seems like how things are going to go. Maybe the characters will have an epiphany and realize it's a bad idea.

The COTW felt a little too "ripped from the headlines"/L&O:SVU for me. Not helping was the fact that it was pretty convoluted, with the school/security guy, her original family/rehomed family and then the delivery dude. I know murder investigations don't usually go from point A to point B in a straight line, but this episode seemed to be pretty jerky in how it unraveled.

I know some others have touched on this, but -- I like the way Walt and Vic work together.  Walt can be (and is) stodgy, barely speaks, or, in other words, a cowboy.  Vic is more voluble.  They play off one another well.  [Pardon the pun.]  Plus there's a good reason for her to be tagging along.  Walt knows a lot about the area and about Indian culture.  Having Vic there gives him a reason to verbalize it, thus letting the audience know.

But I don't want to see them as a couple.

Actually, I viewed the beer drinking by Vic more as a joke when Walt said "That's my beer."  She's the type that would drink a friend's beer without even thinking about it, but Walt was aghast.  He'd never do such a thing.  Again -- a good compare/contrast in characters.  I never got the sense that she drank it because she thought he and she were "an item."

Yeah, I'm sensing already that they're going to have a hard time wrapping up every thing this season -- Vic's stalking, Branch's shooting, Henry on trial, Walt's wife.  Yet they keep having the "murder-of-the-week" episodes.

• Love 1

I'm usually a stickler for plausibility and consistency, but I like this show despite its frequent improbabilitiies. In this one, for example, I found it very hard to believe that the inmates are so thoroughly in command of the jail that they can prevent a sheriff from seeing an inmate, or seemingly even determine which public defender is assigned to that inmate. But the show wins me back on the strength of the characters and the subtlety of the dialog, as when Branch thanks Walt for.... finding his hat. A less deft show could have spent pages of clunky dialog laying out what was not said in that pause, but communicated between the terse, manly men anyway. :) 

I found it very hard to believe that the inmates are so thoroughly in command of the jail that they can prevent a sheriff from seeing an inmate, or seemingly even determine which public defender is assigned to that inmate.

...or even that Henry wouldn't be in solitary for his own protection by now. Buy it seemed like the judge was in somebody's pocket too, which implies that the inmates get their power from higher up. Still, I have a feeling that if I ask my daughter, who works at a county jail's re-entry program (re-entry into life outside of jail), that she would agree with you that it is pretty improbable that the inmates would be running the show--at least not on their own. From what I hear from her, most of the abuses of rights and privileges come from the wardens or from badly managed procedures.
(edited)

Still late to the party...I'm going to get caught up so I can actually converse with you folks. Anyway, I could take or leave this one. Far too convoluted for me to follow properly. I too couldn't figure out who the "father" was, thanks for clearing that one up for me guys!  I also thought it was a bit ridiculous that Walt and Vic needed to sneak around the reform school with that girl when they could have easily gotten a search warrant or just told the girl to forward the email to them next time she had her computer time. Sometimes the writers have them act like private investigators rather than actual police officers. These are the things that actually make me want to stop watching the show--the sheer convolutedness of it all. But then, there are some of the most beautiful scenery shots ever and I'm brought back in.

Vic and Walt are so hooking up soon...I wish it weren't true, but it seems rather obvious at this point. I just wish there was a show out there that didn't need to have a romantic lead couple. I definitely don't dislike Vic, nor do I think that they have no chemistry. I was just hoping for the novelty of it to stay platonic.

Anyhoo, that prison or whatever it is that Henry's being detained at...sooo whack-a-doo. I just don't even have words for how convoluted that storyline is.

Edited by DittyDotDot

To me, Graham Greene will forever be Walter Crow Horse, Chief of Police on the Rez in Thunderheart. 

Henry's treatment in that prison was completely unrealistic. Ferg bare-handing evidence (or any of them for that matter) is wrong.  So much of what they do procedurally is so wrong it's almost painful, and yet I still watch. 

(edited)

Forgot to ask...was I not paying attention or did Walt and Vic travel to Arizona to that school? I'm no geography nerd or anything, but I don't think that's only a day trip--I'm guessing that's at least a 12 hour drive depending on exactly what part of Arizona they're taking about. At one point did they say they could turn back, but they were almost there...what?

I'm sorry, I know this isn't really all that important to the actual case of the week, but trying to workout the Absaroka County to Denver stuff is hard enough. I think the writer's might need to purchase a map or two. Just because they are all Western states doesn't mean they aren't very large areas geographically.

Edited by DittyDotDot

That bothered me too.  The distances between these places they keep talking about are huge.  I read a book once where the author had the characters take a 'day trip' from Loving County, Texas to Austin and back again.  It's about a 7 hour trip, one way! 

Actually, thinking back on it...have they ever established exactly where in Wyoming they are? The Absarokas run along the Montana/Wyoming border, but I'm not sure what county or town they are supposed to be in or near. I still think it would be at least a 10-12 hour drive to the northern part of Arizona though.

Actually, thinking back on it...have they ever established exactly where in Wyoming they are? The Absarokas run along the Montana/Wyoming border, but I'm not sure what county or town they are supposed to be in or near. I still think it would be at least a 10-12 hour drive to the northern part of Arizona though.

If I remember correctly, at some point in season 1, they mentioned Sheridan as being close by.  It's on Interstate 90 in sorta the northeast corner of Wyoming.