Type keyword(s) to search

Heather Thomson: Inventor of Yummie Tummie

• Start Topic

Aviva spread malicious gossip, that's what. I'm also of the mind that had Carole not rebutted the gossip, the responses would have been, "Well, it must true then." So, whatever. The larger point I'm making is that Heather didn't "bully" Aviva anymore than Aviva was a "bully" to Carole.

IMO, none of these HW's on any of the HW shows can cry "bully" because they are paid to dish it and to take it, they all know what they are in for when they sign on the dotted line!  JMO though! LOL

• Love 4
(edited)

I figured out who heather reminds of. Can't stand her either with the eleventy billion tooth grin, little big head, and the wanna-have-cleavage tops.

MV5BNTcxMDg4MTU5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODY0

When I hover over the photo/link you tried to post, it says it is a picture of Giada De Leurentiis ............ like this?600full-giada-de-laurentiis.jpg

Edited by WireWrap

When I hover over the photo/link you tried to post, it says it is a picture of Giada De Leurentiis ............ like this?600full-giada-de-laurentiis.jpg

Ugh. It would be terrible to be compared to her.  What a tragedy. 

My husband refers to her as "that girl on the cooking channel that I wish would do her show naked". 

• Love 4

Giada always has just enough teasing boobage showing so that viewers think she's hiding a wedge of parmesan reggiano in there.

Sorry to get off track here on the Heather thread. But the smiles are eerily similar. 

• Love 2

Ugh. It would be terrible to be compared to her.  What a tragedy. 

My husband refers to her as "that girl on the cooking channel that I wish would do her show naked".

Agreed. You know how I feel about Heather but she's not quite as annoying as Giada. I suspect Giada is a bitch IRL. Facially, she's a Heather/Carole mash-up on Bethenny's body.

My husband liked her, too. Until my most excellent imitation of her eleventy billion toothed, bobblely head smile shamed him out of it. The way she pronounced 'moot-za-RAY-la and rigga-TONE-ah made my slapping hand slappy.

• Love 3
(edited)

Too funny, ryebread !

Upon channel surfing, when Giada would be on...my hubby was pausing and staring too.  Must have been an interesting recipe. ~eyeroll~

BUT! Last year, when the Food Network does one of those holiday, all celeb star, shows like at Thanksgiving, there was one with Bobby Flay, Ina Garten, Alton Brown, and "Gweeda". She so really got shit faced on wine - on camera - then broke a glass and her hand bled. I swear to Gaawd. Ina, Flay, and Brown were visibly annoyed with her. 

But Bobby Flay is in the middle of a nasty divorce from wife #3. I hope he doesn't get together with newly divorced Gweeda.

Okay my last post on Gweeda on this thread. Thanks, PTV mods. TWoP mods would have had me thrown in jail right about now. 

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 4

Agreed. You know how I feel about Heather but she's not quite as annoying as Giada. I suspect Giada is a bitch IRL. Facially, she's a Heather/Carole mash-up on Bethenny's body.

My husband liked her, too. Until my most excellent imitation of her eleventy billion toothed, bobblely head smile shamed him out of it. The way she pronounced 'moot-za-RAY-la and rigga-TONE-ah made my slapping hand slappy.

She's not really a bitch - at least in my experience - but I wouldn't say that she goes out of her way to be particularly nice either. I have been able to meet many "celebrity" chefs in my job, and I will say she hasn't disappointed me the way that some others have. My all time favorite, someone who has provided me with many of the recipes I serve my family and will remain nameless, disappointed me greatly. Nothing is more depressing than meeting people you admire and realizing they are talented assholes, at least IMO.

• Love 9
(edited)

Spill, MCM!  Give us initials at least!  If you'd hadn't already confirmed it wasn't Giada, she would've been my first guess. I hope it isn't I.G.  I would be heartbroken.  I love her so.

Edited by ryebread
  • Love 5

Awww..Heather is my fave NY HW. Granted I started with season 5 and really came around to her near the end of the season. I'm so mad that she hasn't had a single segment on her own (or has she, and I missed it?)

• Love 5

MCM, my guess is "I.G."  (and I own two of her cookbooks...)

How did you know? Still depresses me but this is the one. I still think she is amazing and I will always buy her cookbooks and cook the things she tells me to cook, the way she tells me to cook them, because she is always right when it comes to food. IG and Wolfgang Puck are always right. To me they are Gods (he is also the nicest person you will ever meet and Spago is an experience not to be missed).

Awww..Heather is my fave NY HW. Granted I started with season 5 and really came around to her near the end of the season. I'm so mad that she hasn't had a single segment on her own (or has she, and I missed it?)

No, you haven't missed it. I don't think I have ever seen a HW that doesn't have one segment of her own. Strange. She is my favorite as well, so it just irritates me.

• Love 6

Giada is annoying and compelling all at once, but last year there were some very sad blind items that were attributed to her that if true make your heart break about her childhood.

I don't like Heather, but the way Bethenny behaved at the sushi dinner made me side with Heather there. And I was glad that Heather told her off at the end in a very calm way.  The dinner at Dorinda's was all sorts of edited with Heather's seating alternating down the table and across from Bethenny during the fight.  So who knows what really happened there.  They were both bad.  Bethenny was loud, rude, obnoxious and Heather was out of place.  It wasn't her business what Bethenny ate.  Who cares.  She doesn't eat - please she's allergic to every fish but shell fish?  Lol.  Even the way Bethenny went after the "Holla" at Ramona's lunch was not satisfying to me. So the big showdown Bethenny v. Heather hasn't paid off.

What rankled me was Bethenny apologizing to Heather at AOA after fighting with Kristen.  It was a bitch move to isolate Kristen further from her own friend Heather.  5 minutes earlier Bethenny is complaining that Heather is ignoring her, but after fighting with Kristen she goes and gives Heather a hug (a self-proclaimed hug-hater) only to shove in Kristen's face that her bestie is buddies with Bethenny too.  Boo.  I did appreciate Heather's policy there of not giving an apology back. lol.

i did appreciate season 1 reunion Heather telling Ramona that Heather's reactions were called "good manners" because yes that was in fact what they were.  You smile and move on when faced with a loon like Ramona.  You don't scream like a banshee and run all over a house claiming a room.

Heather still talking about putting Sonja to bed blacked out bothers me too.  She is holding a grudge over that toaster.  But every one of them is talking about Sonja's drinking, so you can't isolate Heather on that one.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I know this is OT but I'm sad about that motorcitymom! (but thanks for answering).  Her tuna and hummus sandwiches are a main staple during hot weather and are delicious, and any time people are coming over I make the pan-roasted onion dip and the outrageous brownies.  Damn!  I really want to go to Spago one day.

About Heather -- I know this is not the kindest reaction, but I don't think Sonja really merits it to be honest (there is a great comment in her thread about someone seeing Sonja as a con artist who has on some level conned herself into thinking she's more (smarter, better) than she is, and I agree).  The high-handed nonsense about the toaster oven marketing plan and the crap before the Atlantic City trip were both amazingly inconsiderate to deliberately rude; Heather has also, unknowingly, been subject to Sonja snark about losing weight - Sonja made an IMO 'even Heather has lost weight' implication in a TH cut in after the scene where Sonja and one of her moron 'stylist' pals discussed how Sonja had to compete with Bethenny when packing for T&C.  I admit to a certain blind spot in terms of Heather's bad behavior even though I thought her treatment of Kristen in Montana was awful.

Edited by Midnight Cheese
  • Love 5

Just finished the second episode. So. Ok. I think I can deal with muhtha fucka, holla, Berkshires. But please can someone help me out and let me know if the full lip kisses to Luann is a thing now for Heather. Because I just can't with the affected -ness of that being her schtick this season. You can tell it throws Luann off, so to me, it is just something Heather is doing to be more "Heather" or whatever version she is this season. Maybe she is HeaTHER  or some such nonsense. 

I do hope she goes all muthafucka on b [lower case, yes, I can't even bother with her]

It was never brought up again, so no need to worry that it has become a thing for her.  

• Love 1
(edited)

So on another thread First Looks there was discussion regarding the return of Heather and how Heather's role had been seemingly diminished.

Last season near the very beginning there is s a scene with Heather dropping by Carole's to have a beer and she speaks of a lawsuit. Heather decided to send a Cease & Desist letter to Spanx for alleged copyright infringement of her Yummie tank top.  I am not making this up Heather apparently feels she invented the tank top.  Previously Heather sued Maidenform and received a prior to verdict $6.75 million settlement.  Heather after Spanx filed for relief Heather sent a letter to Sara Blakely, founder and inventor of Spanx and did a #shame on you type campaign against Spanx.  Spanx claimed that Heather was using the Spanx and the lawsuit as a storyline.

Late last year during filming Heather and Spanx settled and it appears Heather capitulated as her case was dismissed WITH prejudice, meaning she can't refile and Spanx counterclaims were dismissed WITHOUT prejudice, meaning they can.  Spanx and Heather were both responsible for their own attorneys fees.  So with Bethenny and Sonja whining about attorneys fees, Heather stays pretty silent because she basically lost her butt in court and stands to lose a lot more over probably a poor choice she made.    http://www.realitytvscandals.com/2015/02/05/yummie-tummie-vs-spanx-lawsuit-settled/  Using legal issues as a storyline never a good idea.

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 1

So on another thread First Looks there was discussion regarding the return of Heather and how Heather's role had been seemingly diminished.

Last season near the very beginning there is s a scene with Heather dropping by Carole's to have a beer and she speaks of a lawsuit. Heather decided to send a Cease & Desist letter to Spanx for alleged copyright infringement of her Yummie tank top.  I am not making this up Heather apparently feels she invented the tank top.  Previously Heather sued Maidenform and received a prior to verdict $6.75 million settlement.  Heather after Spanx filed for relief Heather sent a letter to Sara Blakely, founder and inventor of Spanx and did a #shame on you type campaign against Spanx.  Spanx claimed that Heather was using the Spanx and the lawsuit as a storyline.

Late last year during filming Heather and Spanx settled and it appears Heather capitulated as her case was dismissed WITH prejudice, meaning she can't refile and Spanx counterclaims were dismissed WITHOUT prejudice, meaning they can.  Spanx and Heather were both responsible for their own attorneys fees.  So with Bethenny and Sonja whining about attorneys fees, Heather stays pretty silent because she basically lost her butt in court and stands to lose a lot more over probably a poor choice she made.    http://www.realitytvscandals.com/2015/02/05/yummie-tummie-vs-spanx-lawsuit-settled/  Using legal issues as a storyline never a good idea.

LOL, It was not just a "tank top", the lawsuit was over a "3 panel shape wear" top. She made/designed and patented the first one and both of the other companies copied her design almost to the letter. Why her law suit was against Spanx was dismissed is puzzling IMO because they did copy her design. I believe Spanx designed the first 2 panel but Heather did the first 3 panel shape wear top and if Heather, or any other shape wear line, would have used Spanx's design, Spanx would have sued them. Also, talking about it 1 time on camera does not constitute "using Spanx and the lawsuit" as a storyline IMO. LOL I do agree, that none of them should use legal matters, lawsuits, divorce battles, custody, alimony, child support or anything akin to that on the show but it is hard to ignore the elephant in the room when these are public knowledge. LisaV got raked over the coals because she refused to talk about her lawsuit, VB, on camera last season. LOL

• Love 11

Last season near the very beginning there is s a scene with Heather dropping by Carole's to have a beer and she speaks of a lawsuit. Heather decided to send a Cease & Desist letter to Spanx for alleged copyright infringement of her Yummie tank top. I am not making this up Heather apparently feels she invented the tank top. Previously Heather sued Maidenform and received a prior to verdict $6.75 million settlement. Heather after Spanx filed for relief Heather sent a letter to Sara Blakely, founder and inventor of Spanx and did a #shame on you type campaign against Spanx. Spanx claimed that Heather was using the Spanx and the lawsuit as a storyline.

Late last year during filming Heather and Spanx settled and it appears Heather capitulated as her case was dismissed WITH prejudice, meaning she can't refile and Spanx counterclaims were dismissed WITHOUT prejudice, meaning they can. Spanx and Heather were both responsible for their own attorneys fees. So with Bethenny and Sonja whining about attorneys fees, Heather stays pretty silent because she basically lost her butt in court and stands to lose a lot more over probably a poor choice she made. http://www.realitytvscandals.com/2015/02/05/yummie-tummie-vs-spanx-lawsuit-settled/ Using legal issues as a storyline never a good idea.

I knew I remembered something about this! Thanks for the summation.

LOL, It was not just a "tank top", the lawsuit was over a "3 panel shape wear" top. She made/designed and patented the first one and both of the other companies copied her design almost to the letter. Why her law suit was against Spanx was dismissed is puzzling IMO because they did copy her design. I believe Spanx designed the first 2 panel but Heather did the first 3 panel shape wear top and if Heather, or any other shape wear line, would have used Spanx's design, Spanx would have sued them. Also, talking about it 1 time on camera does not constitute "using Spanx and the lawsuit" as a storyline IMO. LOL I do agree, that none of them should use legal matters, lawsuits, divorce battles, custody, alimony, child support or anything akin to that on the show but it is hard to ignore the elephant in the room when these are public knowledge. LisaV got raked over the coals because she refused to talk about her lawsuit, VB, on camera last season. LOL

Thank you! To characterize the lawsuits as Heather delusionally believing that she invented the "tank top" is a gross mischaracterization. The judge's order dismissed with prejudice both Yummie's claims of infringement against Spanx and Spanx' claims of infringement against Yummie. The judge did not dismiss any other claim Spanx might have against Yummie. This indicates to me that Heather's tweeting, use of the press, and general trial tactis were probably on the abusive side (asking for endless continuances and waiting until the last possible moment for filings and responses).

• Love 3
But her actual physical handicap, which seems to be what you're referring to, I don't recall any of the ladies mocking her for that.

I don't either. I remember them commenting on the wheelchair at the Montana airport, but that was about Aviva's flair for being dramatic, not because she may have actually needed one. 

I remember George accusing Ramona of making fun of Aviva's disability and Ramona was genuinely shocked and said "I never did that!" And she didn't. Ramona is many things, but I don't think she would deliberately mock Aviva's disability (would she say something insensitive without thinking about it? Sure, it's Ramona…but that's not the same thing as mocking). I think Harry really stirred the pot there and maybe some misunderstandings occurred. After St. Barth's, Ramona spoke to Harry to get the low-down on Aviva and all her phobias, and Harry promptly told George and Aviva about it. (Which is why I thought he was an oily character that got an inexplicable pass all the time.) 

As a mom with a son who's physically challenged, I find it hard to believe that Heather would mock another person's disability. Yes, she went after Aviva and hard, but it had nothing to do with Aviva's leg and more the entitlement she carried with her. Heather, Carole, and Ramona all adored Aviva before St. Barth's and readily accepted her regardless of her disability…it was her nasty personality that turned them against her.

If anyone said anything that was kind of tacky, it was LuAnn, IMO…in the first episode of Season 5, she commented on Aviva's grace and poise and said "you'd never suspect that she had a disability." Yes, she meant it as a compliment, but something about it hit me the wrong way.

• Love 4

I am wearing the comfiest leggings (YummieTummie) and for that alone, Heather has redeemed herself. I tried Spanx and felt they were extremely overpriced and ineffective.

Thanks, WireWrap, for detailing the lawsuit - I hadn't realized it was that involved.

• Love 1

I am wearing the comfiest leggings (YummieTummie) and for that alone, Heather has redeemed herself. I tried Spanx and felt they were extremely overpriced and ineffective.

Thanks, WireWrap, for detailing the lawsuit - I hadn't realized it was that involved.

Thanks but I think HunterHunted gave a much better breakdown of the lawsuit and rulings. I love YT, they are soooooo comfortable, I never feel like I can't breathe in them but I also feel "firmer". LOL

• Love 1

The interesting thing about this to me is that there has been absolutely zero press about it save for this one site. I can find nothing else about it. Up until a year ago, there was stuff in the media about it all the time. I know this site claims it is all about the fact that Heather was talking about it then, but it was getting media attention even without Heather. What does it mean that they "settled their dispute". Did they just agree to disagree?

• Love 1

Thank you! To characterize the lawsuits as Heather delusionally believing that she invented the "tank top" is a gross mischaracterization. The judge's order dismissed with prejudice both Yummie's claims of infringement against Spanx and Spanx' claims of infringement against Yummie. The judge did not dismiss any other claim Spanx might have against Yummie. This indicates to me that Heather's tweeting, use of the press, and general trial tactis were probably on the abusive side (asking for endless continuances and waiting until the last possible moment for filings and responses).

I never said Heather was delusional. Spanx used the same language I did in their pleadings about her wanting credit for inventing the tank top.  In Spanx response they claim they had the product before the Court before Yummie was ever a brand.  The Court in its rulings before moving the case to NY dismissed all but one of Heather's patent infringement claims.  In patent infringement cases there are plaintiffs who secure patents and then try and find manufacturers, usually large established manufacturers and pursue infringement claims. I am not implying or saying  Heather is one of these plaintiffs.  I can understand if Heather feels violated but it seemed more like a plan that was not well  thought out.  The part of the plan I am talking about is the #shame on Spanx nonsense. 

I think the comment Bethenny made to Heather in T&C had something to do with this lawsuit and the unfavorable outcome.  Three of the RH were all on the receiving end of unfavorably legal claims. Even worse two of them started the litigation.

My husband are friends with a patent attorney and a few years back one of his clients hit it big with a hair accessory.  I asked once if he was involved in litigation for the knock offs and he said the inventor and holder of the patent did not to waste her time and money as she was the brand.  So people get away with a lot of mimicry so to speak.  Just look at the number of dresses that are like Stella McCarthy's original design with the black down the sides and color in a curve shape down  the front and back or a dress with a very accentuated zipper in the back.  Patent or not by the time the claims are pursued fashion has moved on.  Spanx had moved on from their tank that Heather claimed they purloined from her collection  Spanx is still making tanks and camis.

(edited)

The interesting thing about this to me is that there has been absolutely zero press about it save for this one site. I can find nothing else about it. Up until a year ago, there was stuff in the media about it all the time. I know this site claims it is all about the fact that Heather was talking about it then, but it was getting media attention even without Heather. What does it mean that they "settled their dispute". Did they just agree to disagree?

No it means it is off the Court's docket and Yummie can't reassert their claim.  Cases like this if the plaintiff is getting a bad vibe from the Court on pre-trial rulings are going to back down as it is really risky because often times they are asking the jury to find rather miniscule differences.  So whether Yummie's panel has double stitching under the bust area or Spanx copied the double stitching may be too minute for a jury to care about.  Heather is also at a disadvantage because Sara Blakely was the forerunner in this field with Spanx.  I don't think undies fall within this exception:  http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1108&context=dltr

That same attorney I mentioned does a lot of irrigation patents because up here there are lots of vineyards to irrigate and there can be serious technical claims when it comes to irrigation products and no jury really wants to hear about it.

I believe the case got attention because heather put it out there to #shame Spanx.  Rarely if ever do defendants bring up claims against them.

Edited by zoeysmom

No it means it is off the Court's docket and Yummie can't reassert their claim.  Cases like this if the plaintiff is getting a bad vibe from the Court on pre-trial rulings are going to back down as it is really risky because often times they are asking the jury to find rather miniscule differences.  So whether Yummie's panel has double stitching under the bust area or Spanx copied the double stitching may be too minute for a jury to care about.  Heather is also at a disadvantage because Sara Blakely was the forerunner in this field with Spanx.  I don't think undies fall within this exception:  http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1108&context=dltr

That same attorney I mentioned does a lot of irrigation patents because up here there are lots of vineyards to irrigate and there can be serious technical claims when it comes to irrigation products and no jury really wants to hear about it.

I believe the case got attention because heather put it out there to #shame Spanx.  Rarely if ever do defendants bring up claims against them.

But the media attention was too big. It was being updated very, very often, and from sites like The Huffington Post. For a long time there was something coming out all of the time. There are several legal blogs out there that were using the case as an educational tool regarding Patent Law. It is just beyond strange to me that it would have been settled so long ago and that not one of these media outlets that had been so interested in it even bothered to report that it was over. At the very least you would have thought the fashion world would have said something. They seemed to delight in the whole saga, yet not one of them has said boo about it. 

• Love 1

I don't think the lack of coverage on the judgment is that odd. Spanx and Blakely didn't pursue press attention for the proceedings; Heather demonstrably did with the WWD interviews and other media rounds in which she made her dramatic declarations of "war", most of which were probably sourced from each other. Is Heather going to be crowing to her contacts at WWD or elsewhere about her infringement claims being dwp and feeding into the puns about her getting "spanxed" in court? I don't think so. I had to chuckle at Heather's portrayal of Spanx as a "bully" for having the temerity to pursue and protect its own legal interests as well as selecting verbiage that makes it seem like Spanx initiated the first suit. Also the "we were featured on Oprah" line; I guess, in uncharacteristic consistency, that's Heather's barometer for professional legitimacy vis-a-vis herself in addition to everyone else.

• Love 2
(edited)

But the media attention was too big. It was being updated very, very often, and from sites like The Huffington Post. For a long time there was something coming out all of the time. There are several legal blogs out there that were using the case as an educational tool regarding Patent Law. It is just beyond strange to me that it would have been settled so long ago and that not one of these media outlets that had been so interested in it even bothered to report that it was over. At the very least you would have thought the fashion world would have said something. They seemed to delight in the whole saga, yet not one of them has said boo about it. 

I tend to follow the legal cases regarding the RH and check the site I linked several times since the season started and there was nothing.  Maybe the parties agreed not to make a press release so it would take someone who was terribly interested to follow thorough.  The person who runs the site I linked, posted here a time or two because she thanked me for bringing the story over on the boards.  So I think she had to do some follow up and my guess is they may have waited a while to file the order for dismissal.   Her dateline indicates February 2015.  I found it today by doing a general Google search not going to Reality TV Scandals.

Well I think the women with the Reality TV Scandals does a good job and I know she pays a service to get court documents and does not appreciate it when people grab her documents without giving her credit.

ETA- Heather did not just want an injunctive order for Spanx to top making the tank tops she complained of she wanted all the profits from all the tank tops. 

So when I see her looking a little impatient or frustrated I know see that she has none of the compassion the other RH litigants are enjoying.  This trip to T&C was to celebrate  Sonja paying off her judgment.

All I can think of is it did not have an interesting ending for anyone to be interested in the story. 

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 1

I don't think the lack of coverage on the judgment is that odd. Spanx and Blakely didn't pursue press attention for the proceedings; Heather demonstrably did with the WWD interviews and other media rounds in which she made her dramatic declarations of "war", most of which were probably sourced from each other. Is Heather going to be crowing to her contacts at WWD or elsewhere about her infringement claims being dwp and feeding into the puns about her getting "spanxed" in court? I don't think so. I had to chuckle at Heather's portrayal of Spanx as a "bully" for having the temerity to pursue and protect its own legal interests as well as selecting verbiage that makes it seem like Spanx initiated the first suit. Also the "we were featured on Oprah" line; I guess, in uncharacteristic consistency, that's Heather's barometer for professional legitimacy vis-a-vis herself in addition to everyone else.

Well it would be very strange for the out comings of legal proceedings to only be reported on were one party or the other to go to the press about it. Is that how it works these days? I stand by the fact that the lack of reporting is strange, especially in apparel publications which were following the case closely, reporting even when there were few real updates. When Heather was on the receiving end of not so good news from the one judge last year many publications were all over that. You would certainly think there would be something somewhere that it was over. There are a couple of Patent websites that were reporting on it and even they didn't report it was over. At the very least Stoopid HW's is usually all over this kind of stuff. i guess at the end of the day, if the case didn't go her way that she is winning the media battle because no one is aware that she lost. That is a victory of sorts.

• Love 1

Well it would be very strange for the out comings of legal proceedings to only be reported on were one party or the other to go to the press about it. Is that how it works these days? I stand by the fact that the lack of reporting is strange, especially in apparel publications which were following the case closely, reporting even when there were few real updates. When Heather was on the receiving end of not so good news from the one judge last year many publications were all over that. You would certainly think there would be something somewhere that it was over. There are a couple of Patent websites that were reporting on it and even they didn't report it was over. At the very least Stoopid HW's is usually all over this kind of stuff. i guess at the end of the day, if the case didn't go her way that she is winning the media battle because no one is aware that she lost. That is a victory of sorts.

Somebody has to follow up.  With some cases you have TMZ lurking about waiting for filings.  Apparently the reporting agencies relied on other parties to report it and Reality TV Scandals isn;t on their radar.  I found there to be nothing in the way of updates on Huffington Post since 04.14 http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/13/spanx-lawsuit-yummie-tummie-shapewear_n_2866334.html  I am going to compare this lawsuit to Krupa vs. Granville where both litigants actually tweet and give updates.

I can almost guarantee you within the next 48 hours there will be a blog site reporting this "news".

So Heather's doing her "No Barriers" event right now - here's a link to the report on the first day.

http://www.nobarriersusa.org/2015/07/10/reach-inspiration-and-innovation-day-1-at-the-no-barriers-summit/

I thought this was in Nepal a few weeks ago (my bad), but it's actually in Park City, Utah.  She's participating in a summit/adventure program for people with disabilities - there's lots of veterans, amputees, etc.  The keynote speaker on the first day was Amy Van Dyken, the Olympic medalist who was paralyzed in an ATV accident.  Heather spent much of this year training for this event and she's been fundraising for it as well - I think the point is that everyone works together to make sure that everyone reaches the summit.  Heather has said she is doing it to model "stronger than anything in my way," especially for her son, who has his own challenges.

No one gets a pass on bad behavior, and Heather's not perfect, but name another housewife who has this commitment to charity work and putting positive energy out into the world.  What with this and her work with the Kellner Liver Foundation, I DON'T mean to sound like I'm moralizing, but I'm just going to always give Heather some real world credit for her work.

It's funny, when the Housewives series started, showcasing the charity work was a big part of it.  And I do believe - to be fair - that of the current cast, Luann and Sonja have done a lot of charity work through the years; Dorinda may have as well.  But when Bethenny made Skinnygirl so successful, most housewives shifted from promoting charity to promoting their own businesses.  That's fine and fair.  God knows I spend much more time in my real life promoting my own business than working for charity (gotta make a living).  But I do get frustrated when people obsess over little flaws that don't matter (in Heather or any housewife), rather than remembering the bigger things that do.  To me, Heather is a good (if imperfect) person and TO ME, I am more impressed by her contributions to the world than I am by the contributions of most other Housewives.  She's a woman who I would look to as having characteristics that I can learn from and aspire to have more of myself.  There aren't many I could say that about.  (Bethenny and her hustle and work ethic is another; Carole's mellow attitude and ability to go with the flow is one too.)

• Love 10

No one gets a pass on bad behavior, and Heather's not perfect, but name another housewife who has this commitment to charity work and putting positive energy out into the world.  

We don't really know.  All of them (except probably not Carole LOL) might be philanthropists.  Old school philanthropists don't usually advertise, though.  I understand why in this case Heather does - to promote awareness.  If she raises money and inspires one less person to make fun of an amputee's situation, I'm all for it. Precisely one of the reasons why we need awareness.  Glad she got some.

In all seriousness, I do enjoy snarking on Heather but she absolutely deserves credit for her work and generosity.  Like you said, she's not perfect.  But I'll take an imperfect person who gives back, over an imperfect person who contributes nothing to society.

• Love 6

So Heather's doing her "No Barriers" event right now - here's a link to the report on the first day.

http://www.nobarriersusa.org/2015/07/10/reach-inspiration-and-innovation-day-1-at-the-no-barriers-summit/

I thought this was in Nepal a few weeks ago (my bad), but it's actually in Park City, Utah. She's participating in a summit/adventure program for people with disabilities - there's lots of veterans, amputees, etc. The keynote speaker on the first day was Amy Van Dyken, the Olympic medalist who was paralyzed in an ATV accident. Heather spent much of this year training for this event and she's been fundraising for it as well - I think the point is that everyone works together to make sure that everyone reaches the summit. Heather has said she is doing it to model "stronger than anything in my way," especially for her son, who has his own challenges.

No one gets a pass on bad behavior, and Heather's not perfect, but name another housewife who has this commitment to charity work and putting positive energy out into the world. What with this and her work with the Kellner Liver Foundation, I DON'T mean to sound like I'm moralizing, but I'm just going to always give Heather some real world credit for her work.

It's funny, when the Housewives series started, showcasing the charity work was a big part of it. And I do believe - to be fair - that of the current cast, Luann and Sonja have done a lot of charity work through the years; Dorinda may have as well. But when Bethenny made Skinnygirl so successful, most housewives shifted from promoting charity to promoting their own businesses. That's fine and fair. God knows I spend much more time in my real life promoting my own business than working for charity (gotta make a living). But I do get frustrated when people obsess over little flaws that don't matter (in Heather or any housewife), rather than remembering the bigger things that do. To me, Heather is a good (if imperfect) person and TO ME, I am more impressed by her contributions to the world than I am by the contributions of most other Housewives. She's a woman who I would look to as having characteristics that I can learn from and aspire to have more of myself. There aren't many I could say that about. (Bethenny and her hustle and work ethic is another; Carole's mellow attitude and ability to go with the flow is one too.)

Wow. Very impressive. Thank you for posting the link.

• Love 3

We don't really know.  All of them (except probably not Carole LOL) might be philanthropists.  Old school philanthropists don't usually advertise, though.  I understand why in this case Heather does - to promote awareness.  If she raises money and inspires one less person to make fun of an amputee's situation, I'm all for it. Precisely one of the reasons why we need awareness.  Glad she got some.

In all seriousness, I do enjoy snarking on Heather but she absolutely deserves credit for her work and generosity.  Like you said, she's not perfect.  But I'll take an imperfect person who gives back, over an imperfect person who contributes nothing to society.

IMO, 1 of the biggest differences between Heather and most of the other HWs, on all the HW shows, is that she always shows her support for whatever charity she is involved with not just on the HW show, like hosting a charity event during/for filming, but also after the cameras leave, including on social media/twitter, especially those close to her heart/personal life. Most of the other women only tweet and mention a charity in their blogs when the episode of their charity function airs but stop the following week when the next episode is seen. I think all of the HWs across all the HW shows support charities but most do not promote them all the time like Heather does and most don't use twitter like she does as a way to reach more viewers and her YT customers either IMO.

• Love 10

IMO, 1 of the biggest differences between Heather and most of the other HWs, on all the HW shows, is that she always shows her support for whatever charity she is involved with not just on the HW show, like hosting a charity event during/for filming, but also after the cameras leave, including on social media/twitter, especially those close to her heart/personal life. Most of the other women only tweet and mention a charity in their blogs when the episode of their charity function airs but stop the following week when the next episode is seen. I think all of the HWs across all the HW shows support charities but most do not promote them all the time like Heather does and most don't use twitter like she does as a way to reach more viewers and her YT customers either IMO.

And I'm down with all that.  I still think she's a bossy, handsy bish. Regardless of what I think about her personally, kudos to anyone who uses their fame, money, knowledge or muscles to help one person, or a whole organization, in need.

• Love 3

I think the point is that everyone works together to make sure that everyone reaches the summit. Heather has said she is doing it to model "stronger than anything in my way," especially for her son, who has his own challenges.

Thanks for the details! I was wondering what they had been planning for Heather's storyline that related to "I am stronger than anything in my way" before they decided to make her this season's punching bag.

• Love 4

Thanks for the details! I was wondering what they had been planning for Heather's storyline that related to "I am stronger than anything in my way" before they decided to make her this season's punching bag.

It is sad that they did not show anything on this in any episode so far. I wonder if they will show something in these last 3 episodes left? Honestly, I think they should show more charitable involvement each season but maybe the charities do not want to be on camera because of the nature, drama, of the show's format to begin with. LOL 

• Love 2

Please no. Please don't make it about charities. 

LOL, I don't think too many charities are interested in being on the HW shows anymore. BUT, they could have shown Heather training and then she could give a brief rundown of the charity. That would work with most charities, HW's writing/collecting check(s) or helping to "organize" an event (not film the event), gather clothing donations, like LisaV, , things along those lines. Nothing big or elaborate, like this last 1 on the OC, just HWs getting involved beyond their own insular world and because it is short/small snippets and no big parties, no drama/fights at charity events.  Oh, and only 1 or 2 a season....again, small with no fighting! LOL

• Love 3

The downside of showing a RH involved in a charity is one week they are working their tales off to support and raise money for the charity and the next they are swearing up a storm and drinking. 

• Love 2
Guest firealarm099

Each episode I see Heather in I think, "Oh great! More sanctimonious crap coming from that white chicks mouth."  She would be my worst nightmare for a friend.  And she all holy and brave with her henchman/sychophants always there to back her up - aka carole and kristen.  She is able to twist things and blow it out of proportion.  Granted I never liked Aviva but I did feel sorry for her when Heather went after her in Luann's Hamptons home.  I felt she was out of line and foaming at the mouth.  No one seems to care that she has physically threatened to harm people and then joke about it later.  She's the worst manipulative beeyotch.  

Well, a number of us called this: apparently Heather is leaving.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/heather-thomson-leaving-real-housewives-of-new-york-after-3-seasons-2015157

Personally, while I'm sure that many people will say she was fired, I actually believe that she walked away.  She hasn't seemed into it this season, and I truly do believe that all the fighting and nastiness got her down.  It would me.

I wish she could have gone out on a good note, but sometimes it's better to walk away.

One thing I thought was interesting was last night when asked about Dorinda's nasty tweeting on WWHL, Heather said something off the cuff like it didn't bother her any more, or "not now" or something.   I think she's mentally checked out.

I know so many people will disagree - and that's cool - but I think this is a loss to the franchise.  I think it will discourage other "real" women from joining the show.

Maybe it will be enough to get me to break my Housewife habit, which I don't think is good for me.  :)

I guess the question now is, what will Carole do?  I think she will get a lot of pressure to stay, to be with Bethenny.  And she doesn't get as worked up as Heather, and she doesn't have a business to run or kids to raise, so she has more emotional bandwidth.  So maybe she will.  I guess we'll see.

• Love 14