Type keyword(s) to search

"The Colbert Report": Week of 6/9/14

6/9/14 ESTHER PEREL - Author, “Mating in Captivity: Unlocking Erotic Intelligence”
6/10/14 JOHN WATERS - Author, “Carsick”
6/11/14 ROB RHINEHART - Software Engineer created Soylent, a liquid food replacement
6/12/14 JAMES WEBB - Author, “I Heard My Country Calling”

Really excited about the Wed. show, because I'm kind of obsessed with Soylent (though not enough to try it, mind you -- I just hope somebody will take the idea and make it taste good, not like "watery pancake batter," as I've seen it described). Maybe Stephen will do an on-air taste test?

I'm kind of curious: does Stephen read the books of authors that come on his show? I've heard or read in interviews with various Daily Show people, including Stephen, that Jon reads the books, given time... unless, apparently, it's a tweet book by Denis Leary. (Rory Albanese and Paul Mecurio were laughing about that in a podcast interview from last year.) Anyway, I always figured it was a Daily/Colbert family trait, if you will, but I've never seen or heard a reference to it. He seems to have a great deal more familiarity with popular culture and fiction, like Lord of the Rings and whatnot.

Stephen is usually good with scientist guests (i.e. he really wants to hear what they have to say, so he lets them talk on topic a little more than other interviewees), but most of the time I think the quality of the interviews on TCR have more to do with how witty the guest is under pressure, rather than how inherently interesting their subject. That said, I think any of the guests on this list could be interesting, but I don't predict whether or not they will be, because there's no guessing how much Stephen will let them talk. It doesn't seem to me like he does read the books, more than occasionally.

I wasn't sure if the John Waters who wrote Carsick is the same as the John Waters who made movies, but apparently it is. I'm pretty sure that one will be fairly amusing, if nothing else, just because he seems like a guy who could keep with anything Stephen throws at him. http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/john-waters/bs-sc-john-waters-carsick-20140531,0,1840759.story

I actually have Esther P's book, but I haven't read it yet.

• Love 1

His interviews with scientists are my favorites. As an anthropologist, I especially enjoyed the Jane Goodall interview recently.

I didn't realize that was the same John Waters. This should make for a particularly witty interview, if Waters can keep up.

Thank you, possibilities!

• Love 1

Hitler into fisting sounds like the perfect description of a weasel named Scott Fistler.

Stephen's right. Fox News and the right will continue to make shit up on Bergdahl, truth be Goddamned. And "respectable" news outlets like CNN will go along like the idiots they are and not call out their bullshit.

I think Stephen's wife can forgive him for the relationship he has with his audience.

• Love 1

It is not only CNN and TV talking heads. The New York Times published an article where they disclose confidential information about the Sergeant, medical information and his state of mind. Totally invasive and unnecessary, all in the name of putting fuel in a political fire. I wrote to the public editor and they suggest that I write a letter to the editor. As if they will publish. I also suggest that their journalists go back and read the Journalists Code of Ethics, because the fourth state is looking more and more like the assholes controlling the political discourse.

• Love 2

I'm hoping that Carsick will end up being about John Waters' hitchhiking trip across the US that he took recently. I heard about it when a band passed by a guy standing with his thumb out, and one of the members said, "Hey, that looks like John Waters!" and they backed up, and it was! They posted about it online--you can probably Google it to see their post.

I want John Waters to take me shopping. He has the best sources for awesome clothes.

My only hitchhiking experiences were just to get a ride cross-town when I lacked bus fare, way back in my 20s. Nothing untoward happened, but nothing fun/adventurous happened either. Maybe I should have gone bigger and farther.

I think it'll be a while before robots take over, since that Vermont one had no torso or limbs. Geez, you could drop kick it if it got too mouthy!

• Love 1

A black lesbian Nazi robot. Who woulda thunk it? Loved the line "The robotists perfectly captured her command of casual accessories."

Carsick sounds like a fun book. I've never hitchhiked. Too many scary scenarios come to mind.

I love me some John Waters - and I love me some Baltimore, too!!  Great city.  

I wish he hadn't advocated hitchhiking, though.  I grew up a little before Colbert and remember the hitchhiker serial murderer in Southern California -- don't hitchhike kids.  The monster under the bed is real.

I'm kind of intrigued by Soylent. I wonder how filling it is. In other words, would it work for me as a diet food. Would it work better than Slim Fast. It certainly sounds more nutritious.

Unless it's deceptively like bacon, I don't see it catching on much. I mean, what, are we all going to travel to grandma's house every November to crack open a Soylent and give thanks?

• Love 2

Yes, it's kind of pathetic when popping a frozen meatloaf into the microwave for five minutes is considered too arduous. Soylent is sustenance, nothing more. Make life tasteless! Whee. 

It did make me laugh when he described why he invited it -  shopping and cooking was just so much work.  Well, yeah, that's life.

Yeah, me too, but I guess for people who sit all day at their desks doing coding or whatever, I can see some finding it hard to change gears and do these other tasks. Just mixing up a drink seems to work with their lifestyles. I think this might also work for people in remote locations. However, I imagine boredom with the same "meal" every day would set in. I think the guy said that Soylent comprised 90% of his meals, so perhaps he ate other things for variety or just when he went out to a restaurant. 

I question why someone would name a food replacement/supplement after a post-apocalyptic movie about cannibalism.  I mean, the name gets your attention, but it creeps me out a bit too much to try.  While I thought the interview was interesting, the CEO seemed a little...off.  If I did try Soylent, I'd probably spike it with chocolate syrup and bourbon too.

• Love 3

It's edgy. I doubt people are paying over $100 for this stuff on eBay because it fills a need in their lives. It seems way more likely they're doing it because it's named after a post-apocalyptic movie about cannibalism. Which is probably how he got on the show, I would think.

It's not just the buying or cooking, it's the whole decision-making process.  Sometimes you really don't want to have to think about things.  "What's for dinner?" ranks up there with "Are we there yet?" in the annals of irritating questions.

I'm not the least bit surprised he works in technology. 

"What's for dinner?" ranks up there with "Are we there yet?" in the annals of irritating questions.

I feel you, but I don't think I agree. To me, it's way more often the door to limitless possibilities, all of which are tasty! (But I live alone and don't have to feed a fam everyday, so: mileage varying right there.)

I'm really lazy and don't really care about food either way (I mean, I love eating, but my favorite foods are simple things and I could eat the same 4 things over and over and be pretty happy about that), so the idea of Soylent is tempting. I mean, yeah, I can microwave a frozen meal, that's easy, but it's also not that good for me. Even if it's Weight Watchers and not high in calories or whatever, it's got way too much sodium, etc. This would be better (presumably) than easy, processed food. Which is what the really busy people are eating, if they're not doing something even worse and eating fast food.

I think the best use of it would be to eat less than an entire day's worth of it for breakfast/lunch, then make one real, delicious thing for dinner. I mean, I've been making smoothies for breakfast in an attempt to eat more fruits/veggies; this really isn't that different (except for the lack of tasting like something).

I'd imagine that if this started getting popular, people would want mixes that tasted like something, though, so they'd have to come out with a line of foods with different flavors.

• Love 1

WhatDoYouKnow - a few years ago, I bought a shitload of Secure Meal Replacement (Lessman/HSN) on sale for my Mom, who is frail and doesn't get the best nutrition.  She uses it as a supplement and makes shakes & stuff; others use it as a diet aid.  Recently her docs insisted she consume 3 Boost drinks a day (who could afford that on a pension?) - we checked & the Secure has the same or better ingredients.  I've had it with milk and it's delish - comes in many flavors.  It isn't quite soylent, but if you're still eating meals, it's viable.  I understand about the convenience thing - living alone I don't get excited about cooking the way I used to when I was feeding others.  :-)

I am so glad Ted Cruz is finally renouncing Canada - I'm sure Canadians renounced him long ago (I certainly did).

• Love 2

Just shut up James Webb. I didn't vote for you for Senator so you can quit after one term.  I hope Stephen was joking about his even thinking about running for President because...no...just no. 

It did make me laugh when he described why he invited it -  shopping and cooking was just so much work.  Well, yeah, that's life. 

I've read about it before, the guy seemed odd in those articles. He really seems to take no pleasure in eating and finds it to be a needless hassle.

From what I've read, nutritionists aren't sure about Soylent as a long-term food replacement, saying diets should have a variety of different foods to make sure we get various micronutrients. It's okay in the short term, but in the longer run we're supposed to have a more varied diet. Then again, some people who don't drink soylent have a diet lacking in variety, too.

(edited)

Hey, @Wax Lion! I loved Wonderfalls. Truly a show gone before its time. It did annoy me no end that they acted like Canada didn't exist, but it was such fun to see places I know well and a genuine WNYer like Bill Sadler on my screen every week.

Sorry, that was totally off-topic...

Edited by stacey
Please leave TWoP baggage at the door, thanks!
  • Love 1

I was also interested in trying it as diet help - no need to count calories, etc.  But new orders aren't shipping for 10-12 weeks, at which point I will be out of the country.  And he said it cost $9 per bag but on the website, a 7 packet shippment is somethign like $84 - so more than $9, which kind of pisses me off.  But I might try it (with chocolate syrup) eventually, just to control my calorie intake for a while.