Type keyword(s) to search

International Version Talk Welcomed Here

I just watched the WDYTYA for Alan Cumming (season 7 episode 9 on youtube).  My jaw dropped at all the revelations he found in Malaysia.  I don't want to spoil it, but it was crazy to see that his grandfather was remembered.  Its hard to imagine that someone with his role would have made friends. 

It'd be nice to see follow up and see what celebrities think after they have reflected for awhile, and maybe got more historical context. 

• Love 3

pinetastic, you will want to read Cumming's new memoir, Not My Father's Son, which covers in great detail the filming of that episode. Interesting tidbits about how all that info gets put together, and over such a relatively long period of time!   He also talks about how odd it was to watch himself in the ep, since during filming, he'd Nair-ed off all his body hair. (He was simultaneously filming a miniseries in South Africa in which he played a transwoman, so no boy hair allowed.)

• Love 2

Last year I watched the Patrick Stewart episode on you Tube.  Very moving.  It was wonderful how he was able to find out so much about his father and why he was the way he was.  I highly recommend it (along with the Alan Cummings episode).

• Love 2

pinetastic, you will want to read Cumming's new memoir, Not My Father's Son, which covers in great detail the filming of that episode. Interesting tidbits about how all that info gets put together, and over such a relatively long period of time!   He also talks about how odd it was to watch himself in the ep, since during filming, he'd Nair-ed off all his body hair. (He was simultaneously filming a miniseries in South Africa in which he played a transwoman, so no boy hair allowed.)

I read the book recently, then had to go back and re-watch his episode.  I remember when I first watched it during the original run, I was pretty judgmental about everything that happened in Malaysia, and the one interview they had in particular about the events during the shooting.  After reading the book, and about his return trip to Malaysia, it was a lot more sympathetic and emotional.  Especially contrasting with the whole barrel of psycho that was his father. 

• Love 1

I'm listening to the book now.  It was on sale this week at Audible.   As each chapter goes back I am more and more sure that I want to go back and rewatch the episode after this.  So much more context to what is going on with him during the filming.

• Love 1

Saw the Annie Lennox one -and it's quite ironic that her paternal grandmother was descended from a long line of short-lived, destitute  folks who grew up orphaned and/or rejected by their parents/guardians yet Mrs. Lennox herself would live into her 90's to become the beloved family matriarch and even see her granddaughter become rich and famous. I wonder if Mrs. Lennox knew any of the tragic history of her father's side?

• Love 2

Just saw the Paul Hollywood episode. I wonder how much talking around Paul's wife needed to show up on screen acting all happy families.  I mean I suppose one could accept that they patched up their marriage, but being asked to go on TV is another thing entirely.

I wonder if they've had take-out Mexican food since the affair.  Must be awkward!

• Love 2

Loads of celebs in seemingly happy family relationships have skipped that dinner with the fam scene in favor of we're starting at my great aunt/brother/whomever's house because he has the family photos.   So I would think that if Paul and his wife chose to do the happy family bonding scene it was because they wanted to show that they were a happy bonded family post affair.  A bit of PR for Paul's reputation?    

I thought most of Paul's episode was pretty boring.  It was terrible what his grandfather went through in the war, really.  But we've seen a lot of WWII episodes and then when his grandfather was in the work house I really almost turned off the episode.  But that ancestor who delivered the mail 60 miles each way on foot?  That was brilliant!  Loved it.   

Also, I loved the form letter to his wife.  It is an intriguing idea to follow somebody's war experience through form letter.   However, the real letters and the drawing for his daughter?   Precious.    

I particularly liked the Billy Connolly episode last series.   There were some twists and Billy Connolly has quite the fashion sense.  Also it looked at multiple generations of the family which was lacking in some episodes last series, however, not something that bothers me one way or the other, usually.  I just like a good story.   

Edited by bybrandy

The Jane Seymour episode was haunting--I am not surprised that her relative committed suicide after losing everything to the Nazis--can you imagine her sister and her entire family avoided being wiped out and are now settled into a comfortable life in Switzerland (I wonder if members of the family are still there/) and she is in her late 50's and is utterly alone? Horrible.

• Love 1

That story was so heartbreaking.   I hate that they do the retread episodes in the US, but this would be a good one.   It was a very different story of the WWII Jewish experience, compelling, heartbreaking... I loved it.   I suspect that if the daughters of the other sister had children that the show was able to track down living heirs.  But they wouldn't have shown information about living heirs on television without their permission.  I assume Jane Seymour, however, was provided with enough info to make contact if she chose.   

• Love 1

Anyone keeping up on the Toni Colette story?

I finally got around to watching this one.  That was really quite a compelling episode but it left a lot more questions than answers.  Wish they'd get that one ported over to the US as it seems a better shot of finding him/his descendants in the US than in Australia.  

Her dad should take a Y-DNA and Autosomal DNA test to get more clues, as well.   Although I say that as a giant DNA dork.

Thought her family was lovely.  

I wasn't nearly as connected with Geoffrey Rush's episode, but the locations were gorgeous!

• Love 1

I've been watching the Jerry Hall UK episode. I think it would do well on TLC because it is very Texas based but I don't know if she known enough. She has the oddest accent.

Most of her life living in either Europe or the UK did a number on her accent. It bounced between MadonnaBrit (in other words, kind of faux sounding, but probably just absorbed) and Texas often inside the same sentence.

Notice that the longer she spent in the US, the more standard Texan it became. Really it couldn't have been longer than a week there, but clearly it was enough.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the Hall episode since she was the supermodel of my youth (same age.) There were no jaw dropping secrets in this one--I will say that Hall looks wonderful for a woman edging up on 60, and she doesn't look "over done" which is always refreshing (I am not so naive that I think that she has gone natural, but what work she has had done is tasteful.)

I find it really interesting how many people had wildly successful ancestors (Derek Jacobi, Gareth Malone) but the wealth and success doesn't trickle down to subsequent generations.

• Love 1

Just finished reading Alan Cumming's book so I thought I'd track down the episode online. What a journey! I really appreciated reading about his internal reactions to what we watched onscreen, and it was especially poignant knowing the turmoil he was going through in regards to his father offscreen.

Also just saw David tenant's episode, which was another good one. Definitely prefer the UK episodes to the ones we get here in the US. Thank you YouTube!

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 2

I just watched the WDYTYA for Alan Cumming (season 7 episode 9 on youtube).  My jaw dropped at all the revelations he found in Malaysia.  I don't want to spoil it...

By all means, SPOIL IT!! I figure we should be allowed to read anything we wish, especially if we have been warned that spoiler discussions are ensuing.

l feel that - so long as we make it clear to other readers - there will be SPOILERS. And yes!! These are the entries I love reading as I need to read if others felt MY response as well ... ?

I agree. Don't worry about spoiling. Pretty much the only way I can watch the UK episodes here in North America is via YouTube. 95% of them will never be shown on TLC.

I watch online with the knowledge that comments abound on YT and in any forums or articles. It's unreasonable to ask you to withhold.

Does anybody know if the English version of this show is available through Acorn (a subscription service like Netflix you can get of just British programming)?  I'm really tempted to get it anyway, but I fear it will add to instead of replace my already considerable amount of television time, so I've been resisting.

kassa, I checked the Acorn site and Who Do You Think You Are came up as no search results found.  But darn you for pointing me towards Acorn!  You've tempted me to add more TV viewing to an already out of control obsession!

Is anyone watching the current series 13 of WDYTYA UK? I actually think this season would be perfect to show in America, maybe on BBCA? It's got a lot of people that Americans would recognize and be interested in. Personally, I find all the shows fascinating, even if I don't really know the celebrity, but I realize that American TV networks think the audience is only interested in a known person.

The biggest name is Ian McKellen, though his episode hasn't aired yet. Americans would probably also know Warwick Davis (not aired) and Cheryl, probably only known in the US for the disaster that was her judging spot on X Factor. But, if anyone else likes British soaps, comedies, or heck, even the Graham Norton show, you'd probably know Danny Dyer, Amanda Holden, and Greg Davies as well.

Danny Dyer's episode was interesting. To go from EastEnders to Norman-era monarchs was quite a leap! Amanda Holden's family story wasn't quite as interesting (to me personally) but the scenery was beautiful. Greg Davies' episode hasn't aired yet either, but I'm looking forward to him! I'm in the middle of watching Cheryl's episode, but we'll see how deep her Geordie roots run.

I am! I liked Danny Dyer. His reaction to finding out he was descended from royalty was moving and hilarious and he totally does have Thomas Cromwell's nose! The more heartbreaking link for me was to think that the little seventeen-year-old maid trying to hide her baby in a bucket was the 18th (?) great-granddaughter of a Plantagenet king. Life is weird.

I have watched some episodes on Youtube. Wondering if they tell the subjects genealogical concepts such as how many ancestors they have if they look back a certain number of generations. For example, Danny Dyer is roughly 22 generations removed from Edward III. Going back to the 1300s, Dyer had about 4 million ancestors. That’s more than the population of England at that time, but everyone has duplicates. If Dyer enjoys being descended from royalty, fine, but someone should tell him that most English people are. Some estimates say 80%.

• Love 1
On February 3, 2017 at 11:44 AM, Driad said:

I have watched some episodes on Youtube. Wondering if they tell the subjects genealogical concepts such as how many ancestors they have if they look back a certain number of generations. For example, Danny Dyer is roughly 22 generations removed from Edward III. Going back to the 1300s, Dyer had about 4 million ancestors. That’s more than the population of England at that time, but everyone has duplicates. If Dyer enjoys being descended from royalty, fine, but someone should tell him that most English people are. Some estimates say 80%.

Didn't this come up in the Greg Davies episode? He was so excited to find out he was related to some aristocrat; then, he went to the village pub, asked around, and about 4/5 of the bar were all related to the same aristocrat (can't remember which at the moment). Greg had an appropriately fun reaction, and as a comedian, was adept at pulling it off in a self-deprecating way. It was a funny way for the UK show to make the point that I see a lot of people making in this thread and about Courtney Cox's episode--that is, if you go back far enough, pretty much everyone is related to royalty.

• Love 2

I thought this series so far has been really interesting. Who knew Charles Dance wasn't posh?! I love Clare balding anyway, but I've always got a soft spot for anyone saying 'I'm the only one I want to find someone like me.'

The Adil Ray episode was amazing. I think it really challenges the mindset that often people assume immigrants stayed in their indigenous country and then moved to the UK/US etc. 

• Love 1

I just watched the Ruby Wax episode. What a thoroughly unlikeable person she is. It was a Jewish family in Austria in the 1930s horrible story buy she was so dismissive of anything her parents had happen to them. "my dad said he taught aerobics in prison". You could tell a lot of her researchers were stunned by her