Type keyword(s) to search

Kim Richards: No Escape from Witch Mountain

• Start Topic

Bear with me. I don't think Kim's core issue has ever been drinking. I think she did have a drinking/drug problem, but I think it was the result of her self-medicating some other issue. Hence sober Kim is still really bad at life. I'm not sure what the core issue is, but I suspect it's some sort of anxiety issue that manifest heavily when she's alone. I think like a lot of people with a history of reckless decision making, Kim has a fear of being alone. My guess is until she deals with that she'll just go through life trading one addiction or compulsion for another. Anything to distract herself from whatever she's afraid of when she's alone. She'll get another pet, probably one that is an even less appropriate choice than Kinglsey. My guess is a horse.

• Love 11

Still not a safe bet; don't they host salmonella?

I would be afraid of what she would do to the turtle! I would also fear that she would get a very large snapping turtle or an alligator snapping turtle!  LOL

Bear with me. I don't think Kim's core issue has ever been drinking. I think she did have a drinking/drug problem, but I think it was the result of her self-medicating some other issue. Hence sober Kim is still really bad at life. I'm not sure what the core issue is, but I suspect it's some sort of anxiety issue that manifest heavily when she's alone. I think like a lot of people with a history of reckless decision making, Kim has a fear of being alone. My guess is until she deals with that she'll just go through life trading one addiction or compulsion for another. Anything to distract herself from whatever she's afraid of when she's alone. She'll get another pet, probably one that is an even less appropriate choice than Kinglsey. My guess is a horse.

I think a lot of people get hooked on drugs/drinking trying to quiet the fears/demons in their head, Kim would not be alone if this is true and like you said, unless she gets some (very deep, long term, my description) psychiatric help, it will never happen. Kim will never get the help she needs though, her family will continue to bail her out and cover up her addictions because they know she refuses to face the truth about who and what she is and has been for a very, very long time, almost her entire adult life.

• Love 5

Anything to distract herself from whatever she's afraid of when she's alone.

Now that she's living with and helping care for former husband Monty, she has someone to look after and someone to keep her from being alone.  From the small interactions we saw between them, I think there is genuine love and affection on both sides. For the time being Kim has a "cause" to keep her going and perhaps keep her sober, but what happens when he dies and she looses a best friend and the father of her oldest child? How will she cope? She just doesn't seem to have the tools to do it without losing her sobriety, although I pray that she will.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 5

I agree. I have a longer post with my armchair opinions on Kim's psychology in Brandi's thread (comparing the two), but I think Kim has developed severe psychological problems - particularly severe anxiety - from her inability to cope with the reality of how her life has turned out from an adult and with the more negative consequences of her childhood stardom and unstable family. She seems to have some features of BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder), although she functions better than many people with BPD, sans booze and pills.

• Love 6

I agree. I have a longer post with my armchair opinions on Kim's psychology in Brandi's thread (comparing the two), but I think Kim has developed severe psychological problems - particularly severe anxiety - from her inability to cope with the reality of how her life has turned out from an adult and with the more negative consequences of her childhood stardom and unstable family. She seems to have some features of BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder), although she functions better than many people with BPD, sans booze and pills.

BPD is a disorder I have much experience with; it requires a total commitment to therapy, and she MUST be sober to do that.....IMO, Kim will never function any better than she does now....just my armchair opinion, of course.  She's too busy blaming others for the negative things that happen to her

• Love 1

I wonder if we're going to see a segment where Kim and Vince Van Patten are at some HoWives event and talk about crossing paths as child actors. I'd like to see that. She starred in "Nanny and the Professor" when she was 6-7 years old, and he appeared in one episode. He's about 7 years older than Kim -- wonder how much they remember each other from those days? They both did Disney TV episodes as well, so they must have met several times during their childhood.

Edited by RedHawk

Here is an interview with Monte shortly after Kim went into Rehab.  http://absurdtosublime.net/2011/12/20/kim-richards-ex-husband-speaks/

All I can say is if Monty truly screens Kim's dates, he dropped the ball with creepy Ken.

On more current Kim news-Kim invited Brandi to the Hilton family Christmas party this past weekend.  Way to stand up for your family, Kim, with Brandi spending the previous week talking to the media about what a horrible person Kyle is and that she doesn't care about her family.  Sad that Kim rates Brandi so highly as a friend.  Come Reunion time if Brandi isn't getting enough attention she will use Kim's words to go after Kyle.

Before passing too much judgment on Kyle and her family perhaps Brandi should butt out of the Richards family dynamic.

• Love 6

He's about 7 years older than Kim -- wonder how much they remember each other from those days? They both did Disney TV episodes as well, so they must have met several times during their childhood.

He is?? Damn, Kim looks so much older than the guy we saw married to Eileen. I am consistently shocked that Kim is only in her mid-50's.

• Love 1

Kim looks like lots of 50ish women I know here in so Ca who were sun worshipers in the day.

Kim looks like lots of 50ish women I know here in so Ca who were sun worshipers in the day.

Alcohol takes a toll on the body, especially the skin

• Love 3

I wonder if we're going to see a segment where Kim and Vince Van Patten are at some HoWives event and talk about crossing paths as child actors. I'd like to see that. She starred in "Nanny and the Professor" when she was 6-7 years old, and he appeared in one episode. He's about 7 years older than Kim -- wonder how much they remember each other from those days? They both did Disney TV episodes as well, so they must have met several times during their childhood.

Kim did 10 episodes on Disney and none with Vince.  It will not matter -Kim always manages to make a connection.  So there will be talk about Kim's child star days.  My guess is that Big Kathy probably made some connections with the Van Patten family back in the day.  Dick Van Patten has a home and STAR in Palm Springs so chances are pretty good the families paths have crossed.

Kim did 10 episodes on Disney and none with Vince.  It will not matter -Kim always manages to make a connection.  So there will be talk about Kim's child star days.  My guess is that Big Kathy probably made some connections with the Van Patten family back in the day.  Dick Van Patten has a home and STAR in Palm Springs so chances are pretty good the families paths have crossed.

I believe she already mentioned it on her blog. His brother taught her how to play tennis for an appearance on C.H.I.P.S. and Magnum P.I.

Although this would probably irk Kim to no end, it's interesting to compare her career to that of Jodie Foster. Their careers started out basically parallel but Jodie turned out infinitely better, even if she had some problems getting roles in the early-mid '80s as a young adult. They were both tomboyish blond child actresses, with nutty stage mothers, two years apart in age (Jodie was born in 1962 and Kim in 1964), based in Los Angeles, who starred in similar vehicles in the early portions of their careers and most likely competed for the same roles. Like Kim, Jodie had frequent TV appearances, including lead roles in short-lived shows and recurring roles in better known shows, that never added up to a starring role. Like Kim, Jodie starred in a few Disney theatrical release movies and many Disney (and ABC) TV specials and TV movies. However, Jodie managed to keep one foot outside the Disney machine - she headlined movies like Taxi Driver (1976) and Bugsy Malone (1976) even as she appeared in Disney vehicles like Freaky Friday (1976) and Candleshoe (1977) - whereas Kim didn't really have big roles in any successful, critically acclaimed movies outside Disney. In addition to Kim's bad choices (and questionable direction from her mother) in the early '80s - and her ongoing personal problems since then - the reliance on Disney probably hurt her career in the long run. Also, even more recently, former Disney child actors have complained about how restrictive and demanding (albeit high-paying and nurturing) the studio is, and how many personal problems they've developed rebelling against the Disney nest.

• Love 5

Eh, I do think Kim has/had real talent, albeit not on Jodie Foster's level in a classical sense. In her prime, she was quite good with a good script/director, and was a pretty universally acknowledged bright spot in some of her crappier vehicles (Hello, Larry!, Tuff Turf.) However, Kim didn't have Jodie's intelligence, independence, or wherewithal. Jodie is really the exception to the rule in terms of child stars having successful adult careers.

• Love 5

Eh, I do think Kim has/had real talent, albeit not on Jodie Foster's level in a classical sense. In her prime, she was quite good with a good script/director, and was a pretty universally acknowledged bright spot in some of her crappier vehicles (Hello, Larry!, Tuff Turf.) However, Kim didn't have Jodie's intelligence, independence, or wherewithal. Jodie is really the exception to the rule in terms of child stars having successful adult careers.

Jodie also had/has drive beyond acting that has given her balance in life that translates to the screen as well. Getting a college education, stepping out of the Hollywood spotlight and out of that area (California) helped her become a well rounded, interesting person. Kim on the other hand did not believe in education, did not look outside her own backyard and never developed/matured beyond 15 - 16 year olds which left her no real future in acting. JMO

• Love 6

Responding to a discussion in the episode thread that roughly starts here:

I think that Kim was capable of getting her kids off to school, meals prepared, food and seasonal appropriate clothes in the house, etc. but as we've seen with Kingley, I don't see her as an authority figure or an alpha.  My guess is that the alphas with the most significant presence in Kim and her children's lives were  Kimberly's father - they were together five years or broke up when Kimberly was five, and Big Kathy - Big Kathy was alive but battled cancer in her later years and Kim was her caretaker.

I think that Kim is a drunk, flake and infantilized, and I think that one of more of her kids had to be "the grown up," I particularly noticed that with Kimberly in season one, but I think that the times when Big Kathy and Kimberly's father were not around that Kim was "in charge" and was capable of doing the basics of making sure her kids got off to school and were fed.  I think that she had help from nannies and housekeepers and got support from family and friends, but I think that Kim was capable of holding down the fort for a few months if not years.  Yeah she probably was not  the most competent head of household, and the burden may have led to her drinking more, making bad decisions and ultimately going off the rails leading to the cavalry, aka Kyle and Little Kathy stepping in, but I think that unless it was her mother or maybe selected romantic partners that Kim was not going to let someone control how she lived her life and raised her kids, and therefore I don't  think that anyone else like Kyle or Kathy could or would be present enough to have raised her kids.  I can see there being a nanny or a housekeeper co-parenting with Kim, but Kim has an ego and while I think that Kim can be nice most of the time, she has a nasty side and she's needy, so if there was a "help" type person who stayed around for an extended period serving as a (hopefully good) co-parent, she and her kids should consider themselves lucky.

Edited by quinn

I believe that Kimberly lived with her father for a majority of her teen years.  When we meet John, you hear him say to Kimberly that she hasn't been home in a few days.  Kim moved a lot, since her tenure on the show we have seen her move into a new house first episode Season 1, move to another house, move in with Ken, move again and miss Pandora's wedding, go to rehab and then live in a hotel and finally her most current place-which I believe we saw her move into last season.  I just think collectively the children's fathers probably had homes that were more of an anchor-at least the youngest three.

I found this tape where Kim answers the burning question of why she named her daughter Kimberly.  There is a reason we don't see more of Kim telling stories.  http://okmagazine.com/videos/reza-asks-kim-richards-the-question-we-all-want-the-answer-to-and-she-delivers-see-for-yourself-here/

• Love 2

I believe that Kimberly lived with her father for a majority of her teen years.  When we meet John, you hear him say to Kimberly that she hasn't been home in a few days.  Kim moved a lot, since her tenure on the show we have seen her move into a new house first episode Season 1, move to another house, move in with Ken, move again and miss Pandora's wedding, go to rehab and then live in a hotel and finally her most current place-which I believe we saw her move into last season.  I just think collectively the children's fathers probably had homes that were more of an anchor-at least the youngest three.

I found this tape where Kim answers the burning question of why she named her daughter Kimberly.  There is a reason we don't see more of Kim telling stories.  http://okmagazine.com/videos/reza-asks-kim-richards-the-question-we-all-want-the-answer-to-and-she-delivers-see-for-yourself-here/

LOL and she was sober when she did that! LOL

• Love 2

I'm able to pull up the article not the video.

In season two Kim said that she and her ex shared custody of Kimberly 50/50. It was said / alluded to that things became strained between Kim and her daughters when Kim moved in with Ken, and of course she was off the wagon during that time as well, so I would not be surprised if Kimberly opted to stay with her father more than 50% of the time, and Kim did not fight it and rationalized it as her children being resentful of sharing their mother.

I think that Kimberly was raised jointly by Kim and her father. Whitney and Chad's father live out of state and I suspect that she got big, fat child support checks which probably funded Kim and all of her children's lifestyles and allowed her to hire help. Monty remarried, which does not mean that Brooke could not have live with him, but he sounds as flaky as Kim but Kim is a homebody and I suspect that Brooke was primarily raised in Kim's home.

Regarding Kim moving around, that's a valid point, but Kim has actually moved long distances, IIRC as part of her taking care of Big Kathy she moved to Arizona and Palm Springs, which if the fathers of her children had significant physical custody, she would not have been able to do that without their consent or risking them making a play for full custody. Again we are talking about three different fathers here, and a timespan of over 20 years, and it's not a given that the arrangements are the same with each father nor that the arrangement with a respective father was static. There's definitely room for conjecture and my conjecture is that Kimberly's father was a presence when he was with Kim and after they broke up, but I wonder if Kim started out having greater physical custody, and perhaps after he re-married and started a second family, he increased his presence even further until Kimberly lived with him as much as she lived with Kim.

• Love 1

I'm able to pull up the article not the video.

In season two Kim said that she and her ex shared custody of Kimberly 50/50. It was said / alluded to that things became strained between Kim and her daughters when Kim moved in with Ken, and of course she was off the wagon during that time as well, so I would not be surprised if Kimberly opted to stay with her father more than 50% of the time, and Kim did not fight it and rationalized it as her children being resentful of sharing their mother.

I think that Kimberly was raised jointly by Kim and her father. Whitney and Chad's father live out of state and I suspect that she got big, fat child support checks which probably funded Kim and all of her children's lifestyles and allowed her to hire help. Monty remarried, which does not mean that Brooke could not have live with him, but he sounds as flaky as Kim but Kim is a homebody and I suspect that Brooke was primarily raised in Kim's home.

Regarding Kim moving around, that's a valid point, but Kim has actually moved long distances, IIRC as part of her taking care of Big Kathy she moved to Arizona and Palm Springs, which if the fathers of her children had significant physical custody, she would not have been able to do that without their consent or risking them making a play for full custody. Again we are talking about three different fathers here, and a timespan of over 20 years, and it's not a given that the arrangements are the same with each father nor that the arrangement with a respective father was static. There's definitely room for conjecture and my conjecture is that Kimberly's father was a presence when he was with Kim and after they broke up, but I wonder if Kim started out having greater physical custody, and perhaps after he re-married and started a second family, he increased his presence even further until Kimberly lived with him as much as she lived with Kim.

Kim moved her mother into her home in Cali. to care for her. Her father also tried staying with her when he was dying but Kim was out of control, addictions, according to her step-mom. Her dad and step-mom moved back to LV to live with 1 of her kids until the end.

• Love 1

http://www.realitytea.com/2014/12/26/kingsley-trainer-kim-richards-registered-dangerous-dog-new-name-refuses-to-pay/

More on Kingsley.  I never understand not paying someone for their services when you are part of a reality show.  I feel for Kingsley and I don't know that Kingsley can ever be truly domesticated.  I get the impression once Kim's lawsuit is settled Kingsley will be back in Kim's home.

From what this trainer had to say, Kingsley has gotten even more aggressive since they filmed last season! If Kim brings him back into her home, he will either seriously hurt or kill the next time and there will be a next time. SMH

• Love 1

Kim moved her mother into her home in Cali. to care for her. Her father also tried staying with her when he was dying but Kim was out of control, addictions, according to her step-mom. Her dad and step-mom moved back to LV to live with 1 of her kids until the end.

According to an ET interview years ago, Kim moved to Arizona to be with Big Kathy who was battling cancer. I'm also vaguely recalling reading/hearing that Kim lived with Big Kathy in Palm Springs, so in that case I was assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that they lived the "you stole my house!" house in Palm Springs that Big Kathy owned and willed to her three daughters, but maybe they lived together in a separate residence in Palm Springs owned by Kim, or maybe Big Kathy moved in a house of Kim's in another location.

My overall point though is that Kim did not just move a lot but she moved long distances which suggests to me that she was the primary caretaker of her post-break up with the fathers (with support from her family members and paid help), and did not have to coordinate with or answer to her children's fathers after, although in the case of Kimberly's father, I suspect over time his custodial time increased culminating in Kimberly splitting time between her mother and father.

I believe that Kim is an addict and she also has the learned helplessness thing going on. I'm not sticking up for Kim's greatness or even competency as a parent, but I don't think that she was a raging addict for the bulk of her children's childhoods, I think that there were times when she was a raging addict but that there were times where she was a functional addict, in recovery or someone else was in the household co-parenting with her, but during the times when a co-parent was present, Kim was likely the head of household and the co-parent had to work with and around her quirks and ego.

• Love 2

From what this trainer had to say, Kingsley has gotten even more aggressive since they filmed last season! If Kim brings him back into her home, he will either seriously hurt or kill the next time and there will be a next time. SMH

I think whether or not Kim brings the dog back is largely dependent on who actually owns the house.  Once the lawsuit settles Kim will "need" Kingsley more than ever and like a petulant child will demand that every one placate her desire.  At this point, I doubt Kim's love for the dog is a strong as her desire to make everyone know she will get her own way.

• Love 1

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Kingsley attack a member of the production crew, which prompted production to get the trainer in the first place?

If production was named in the lawsuit by the family friend (I can't remember if that is accurate or if it was just gossip), wouldn't the fact that it would be a major liability for the members of the crew (insurance-wise), as well as the fact that they were being sued, be enough reason for production to step in and say, that they couldn't work at Kim's house until Kingsley was gone?

I could see Kim agreeing to re-home Kingsley with Kyle, Mauricio, and Production coming at her. I could especially see this happening if Kim's own kids had issues with Kingsley getting unnecessarily aggressive, or if it was more difficult for Monty to convalesce there during his cancer treatments.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Kingsley attack a member of the production crew, which prompted production to get the trainer in the first place?

If production was named in the lawsuit by the family friend (I can't remember if that is accurate or if it was just gossip), wouldn't the fact that it would be a major liability for the members of the crew (insurance-wise), as well as the fact that they were being sued, be enough reason for production to step in and say, that they couldn't work at Kim's house until Kingsley was gone?

I could see Kim agreeing to re-home Kingsley with Kyle, Mauricio, and Production coming at her. I could especially see this happening if Kim's own kids had issues with Kingsley getting unnecessarily aggressive, or if it was more difficult for Monty to convalesce there during his cancer treatments.

There is no indication that Kyle, Mauricio or their adult daughter Alexia, who was the victim, ever asked Kim to get rid of the dog.   Kyle publicly stated the dog was very important to Kim. The only person on record having asked Kim to do so is the plaintiff in the case.  According to TMZ, the plaintiff named both Bravo and Evolution Media has defendants.  All Kim has said to date is both her second mom (the plaintiff) and Alexia are at fault for their dog bites.  If I had to wager a guess who would have the most power over Kim getting rid of the dog it would be her insurance carrier.  Second in line would be Bravo and Evolution Media that employ her.

I too, wondered about Monty and being around Kingsley. 

Responding to a discussion in the episode thread that roughly starts here:

I think that Kim was capable of getting her kids off to school, meals prepared, food and seasonal appropriate clothes in the house, etc. but as we've seen with Kingley, I don't see her as an authority figure or an alpha. My guess is that the alphas with the most significant presence in Kim and her children's lives were Kimberly's father - they were together five years or broke up when Kimberly was five, and Big Kathy - Big Kathy was alive but battled cancer in her later years and Kim was her caretaker.

I think that Kim is a drunk, flake and infantilized, and I think that one of more of her kids had to be "the grown up," I particularly noticed that with Kimberly in season one, but I think that the times when Big Kathy and Kimberly's father were not around that Kim was "in charge" and was capable of doing the basics of making sure her kids got off to school and were fed. I think that she had help from nannies and housekeepers and got support from family and friends, but I think that Kim was capable of holding down the fort for a few months if not years. Yeah she probably was not the most competent head of household, and the burden may have led to her drinking more, making bad decisions and ultimately going off the rails leading to the cavalry, aka Kyle and Little Kathy stepping in, but I think that unless it was her mother or maybe selected romantic partners that Kim was not going to let someone control how she lived her life and raised her kids, and therefore I don't think that anyone else like Kyle or Kathy could or would be present enough to have raised her kids. I can see there being a nanny or a housekeeper co-parenting with Kim, but Kim has an ego and while I think that Kim can be nice most of the time, she has a nasty side and she's needy, so if there was a "help" type person who stayed around for an extended period serving as a (hopefully good) co-parent, she and her kids should consider themselves lucky.

I think this seems the most accurate to what we know of Kim. I also don't think she was the most great or even competent mother, but she was probably - with the exceptions of the periods when she was a raging addict, which was probably a minority of the time - she was capable of putting food on the table, driving her kids to and picking them up from school, etc. She was the primary caregiver, if not the authority figure, as you say. I sometimes think people see S2 Kim - which is probably the worst she's ever been between the booze and the pills - and assume she was like that for 30 years. The reality is that she would be dead by now (and have lost her kids if she survived) if she was like that for 30 years. The jittery, red-faced lush of S1 - still quite alcoholic but not divorced from reality - is probably more accurate to her low rehab-ready states in her childrearing years.

I also agree that Kim's three eldest children, from the degree to which she moved unimpeded by joint custody agreements and what we know of their lives, lived overwhelmingly with Kim. Brooke's father is erratic (and as flaky as Kim, hence their undying love) and probably popped in and out of her life. Chad and Whitney went to school in LA under Kim's care and probably spent school breaks (or at least substantial parts of breaks) with the Davis family in Texas or Colorado. I suspect Whitney is closer than Chad with Dad, since I don't see Chad as the budding oil exec type. Kimberly's father is the only one who lived consistently in LA and the only one with whom there's evidence she shared custody with in any meaningful way. She's also a good deal younger than the others and yes, probably did live with her father a lot in bad periods. He was living with her for most of the '90s, her kids' childhood, and so probably did co-parent them. I'm not saying any of this to cheerlead for Kim, I just think this is the closest to the actual version of events.

I recall on the ET special that the announcer at least said she moved to Arizona to care for Big K. They could have seen desert and said AZ when they meant Palm Springs, but it's a move either way.

Oh Kim, Kim, Kim. That story about Lil' Kim (my preferred name for her) reeks of self-involved self-loathing/self-love. Admittedly, it's not surprising when their mother named her three children after her, more or less - as much as it's not surprising Kim relied on her children to emotionally parent her (if not feed and bathe her) when she spent good portions of her evenings as a young teen picking up her drunken mother from nightclubs with her dates and chasing Big K's boyfriends to catch them cheating. She also needs to pay off her debts to the trainer and the medical bills of Kay Rozario (who Kathy Hilton excommunicated 10 years ago for spilling in House of Hilton) out of court and stay away from her murderous dog before it eats her. Maybe she needs battered dog wife counseling, as if Kingsley were her jealous psychopathic hubs? Kim, for our sake, if you are out there in the Valley reading this - for once, make a good decision and do the right thing!

• Love 2

I wouldn't be surprised if Kim's S1 and S2 out of control spiral had to do with her youngest leaving home. She may have been able to hold it together better when she had kids at home and she had a reason to stay lucid during the day and remain some what functional. Then in a short period she filmed a TV show, had her youngest move out, and had the big blow up with Kyle. Without anyone in her house to keep her in check her and some money coming in from Bravo her drinking or drug use or whatever may have escalated quickly. I have witnessed that sort of effect with people retiring. Without a job to keep them focused suddenly a person who liked to have a few after work starts having a drink in the afternoon, then lunch, then it's all day. Addiction is not a one size fits all. People have different triggers. Being alone seems to be one of Kim's. She does strike as a person who may be more or less capable of somewhat reasonable drinking when there is someone there to keep her in check (she wasn't always drunk in S1 and sometimes looked more sober than Kyle and often more sober than Taylor), but she may have a bad sense of limits on her own. So pressure of filming a TV show with building tension with Kyle and living alone for what sounds like the first time in her whole life may have been more than she could manage and she just went over the deep end dealing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

You know, despite what Kim might or might not have been like as a mother and despite her meltdown when the one girl left for college- the gal left for college. Also, I've run into noncelebrity moms who still can't shut the hell up about their kid leaving for college and then moving cross-country after college and the kid is now in their thirties.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kim's S1 and S2 out of control spiral had to do with her youngest leaving home. She may have been able to hold it together better when she had kids at home and she had a reason to stay lucid during the day and remain some what functional. Then in a short period she filmed a TV show, had her youngest move out, and had the big blow up with Kyle. Without anyone in her house to keep her in check her and some money coming in from Bravo her drinking or drug use or whatever may have escalated quickly. I have witnessed that sort of effect with people retiring. Without a job to keep them focused suddenly a person who liked to have a few after work starts having a drink in the afternoon, then lunch, then it's all day. Addiction is not a one size fits all. People have different triggers. Being alone seems to be one of Kim's. She does strike as a person who may be more or less capable of somewhat reasonable drinking when there is someone there to keep her in check (she wasn't always drunk in S1 and sometimes looked more sober than Kyle and often more sober than Taylor), but she may have a bad sense of limits on her own. So pressure of filming a TV show with building tension with Kyle and living alone for what sounds like the first time in her whole life may have been more than she could manage and she just went over the deep end dealing.

Chad still lives at home and was living there when Kimberly went to college last year. I don't believe that Kim drinks/drugs because she was/is afraid to be alone, she has never been alone that we know of. Both Kim and Kyle admit/say that Kim has been drunk/high most of her adult life and I believe them. Kyle has even said that she expected to get the "call" that Kim died from an overdose for years.  I don't doubt that most of her adult life Kim was in a alcohol/drug filled haze and never fully present for anyone, including her kids. I think her sober periods were short and very far between and forced on her by 1 of her kids fathers and not because she had any true realization that she needed to get clean herself. I hope she is able to hold on to sobriety this time but only time will tell. 

• Love 6

Chad still lives at home and was living there when Kimberly went to college last year. I don't believe that Kim drinks/drugs because she was/is afraid to be alone, she has never been alone that we know of. Both Kim and Kyle admit/say that Kim has been drunk/high most of her adult life and I believe them. Kyle has even said that she expected to get the "call" that Kim died from an overdose for years. I don't doubt that most of her adult life Kim was in a alcohol/drug filled haze and never fully present for anyone, including her kids. I think her sober periods were short and very far between and forced on her by 1 of her kids fathers and not because she had any true realization that she needed to get clean herself. I hope she is able to hold on to sobriety this time but only time will tell.

I'm going to ultimately agree to disagree with you I think...but being in an alcoholic your whole adult life can and does mean more than being in a perpetual "drunk haze." It's normally not a black-and-white divide between stone sober and stone drunk. If Kim were as intoxicated on alcohol and pills as she was in Season 2 for 30 years, she would not only not be alive, she would not have remembered anything about her children and/or have lost custody of them. Her children would not still seem to have an affectionate (if complicated) relationship with her. They would not have tried to rebuild their relationship with her after her rehab stay in Season 2.

Kim and Kyle's statements about Kim's history are very broad and can be interpreted in different ways. Thing is...the facts we know, on show and off show, present a more complicated likely history for Kim's personal/familial life than what you're saying. I think quinn upthread was on the money about Kim's history of alcoholism, and her capacities as a parent. Kim was on her own from say 1997, when she broke up with Lil' Kim's father. In that time, Kim was probably at times a functional alcoholic (with varying degrees of functionality), a non-functional alcoholic, in rehab (at least once), and maybe for brief periods not drinking. Kim, to all evidence, had primary custody of her three oldest kids and joint custody of the third, and at least the three oldest almost certainly spent the vast majority of their childhood in Kim's house. I believe she could, almost certainly, be the primary caregiver of her kids a majority of the time (feed them, clothe them, take them to school, etc.) She also was quite possibly an emotionally, physically, and mentally involved mother at times (her kids' continued investment in her speaks to this.) That said, probably every few months on average, it's clear there were periods of varying length that Kyle, their mother, or another stepped in to take care of her, when she ceased to function. She also probably had periodic disappearances to binge drink, for a day or two (HoH indicates this), leaving the flock with relatives. I'm assuming Kyle's fear she would "get the call" about her sister means she would get the call that tiny Kim died from alcohol poisoning on one of these benders.

Alcoholism is a complicated ailment - as is prescription drug abuse - where triggers, gradations of use, and accommodations (which often fail) to life responsibilities are part of a user's personal pattern. Kim's worst moments probably had catalysts in her personal life; in Kim's case, alcoholism is a response to mental illness, which is certainly influenced by outside factors in the severity of its manifestations. Kim drank for a host of reasons, but abandonment (and fear thereof) could certainly be a trigger for her.

Edited by vrocotamy
  • Love 1

I'm going to ultimately agree to disagree with you I think...but being in an alcoholic your whole adult life can and does mean more than being in a perpetual "drunk haze." It's normally not a black-and-white divide between stone sober and stone drunk. If Kim were as intoxicated on alcohol and pills as she was in Season 2 for 30 years, she would not only not be alive, she would not have remembered anything about her children and/or have lost custody of them. Her children would not still seem to have an affectionate (if complicated) relationship with her. They would not have tried to rebuild their relationship with her after her rehab stay in Season 2.

Kim and Kyle's statements about Kim's history are very broad and can be interpreted in different ways. Thing is...the facts we know, on show and off show, present a more complicated likely history for Kim's personal/familial life than what you're saying. I think quinn upthread was on the money about Kim's history of alcoholism, and her capacities as a parent. Kim was on her own from say 1997, when she broke up with Lil' Kim's father. In that time, Kim was probably at times a functional alcoholic (with varying degrees of functionality), a non-functional alcoholic, in rehab (at least once), and maybe for brief periods not drinking. Kim, to all evidence, had primary custody of her three oldest kids and joint custody of the third, and at least the three oldest almost certainly spent the vast majority of their childhood in Kim's house. I believe she could, almost certainly, be the primary caregiver of her kids a majority of the time (feed them, clothe them, take them to school, etc.) She also was quite possibly an emotionally, physically, and mentally involved mother at times (her kids' continued investment in her speaks to this.) That said, probably every few months on average, it's clear there were periods of varying length that Kyle, their mother, or another stepped in to take care of her, when she ceased to function. She also probably had periodic disappearances to binge drink, for a day or two (HoH indicates this), leaving the flock with relatives. I'm assuming Kyle's fear she would "get the call" about her sister means she would get the call that tiny Kim died from alcohol poisoning on one of these benders.

Alcoholism is a complicated ailment - as is prescription drug abuse - where triggers, gradations of use, and accommodations (which often fail) to life responsibilities are part of a user's personal pattern. Kim's worst moments probably had catalysts in her personal life; in Kim's case, alcoholism is a response to mental illness, which is certainly influenced by outside factors in the severity of its manifestations. Kim drank for a host of reasons, but abandonment (and fear thereof) could certainly be a trigger for her.

Living in a haze of addiction does mean she was comatose and I am sure she was sober enough so that she would have memories but that does not mean she was completely sober. That her children are so willing to try and rebuild a relationship with her now that she is clean tells me about them, not about Kim as a parent. I think they realized through the years that their mother has underlying mental health issues and they are choosing to believe, right or wrong, that her addictions stem from that, that her psychiatric problems came first, before her addictions and not that her alcohol/drug abuse caused her mental/emotional instability. I have never doubted that Kim loves her children but I also believe that she loves getting lost in alcohol/drugs more, as do most if not all addicts. I am also not convinced that Kim's main addiction is to alcohol, wine, like she claims but think she was a pill popper. JMO  

Edited by WireWrap
  • Love 5

Finally watched the episode with Brooke's wedding and it was lovely. I'm glad the choice was to tastefully show only select wedding moments and focus on Kim and Monty rather than do a big WEDDING episode. Kim looked great in her mother-of-the-bride dress and her interactions with Monty were sweet and heartbreaking at the same time. Just loved the fact that they were married and had a child together when they were so young and have remained true friends all these years. How lovely that Brooke and Thayer have known each other since they were little kids. I wish them every happiness together. 

I would die if Madeleine Stowe were on RHoBH, but I would also be a little sad (for the state of her career). I think she lives in Montana though. I have loved her since I was a teenager - a great actress who was never really given her due. I've been very happy for her success on "Revenge." Re: the article, since when is Kim a "fan favorite?"

Edited by PhilMarlowe2
  • Love 4

I would die if Madeleine Stowe were on RHoBH, but I would also be a little sad (for the state of her career). I think she lives in Montana though. I have loved her since I was a teenager - a great actress who was never really given her due. I've been very happy for her success on "Revenge." 

She lives on a ranch outside of Austin.  I don't see her ever doing a reality show.  She moved to TX to raise her daughter away from Hollywood, just around the time she was making it big, so I just can't see her as the famewhore type.

Re: the article, since when is Kim a "fan favorite?"

Yup, that had me do a double take.  Er, huh?  Oh well, it's E!Online, where they routinely report on the "fabulous" Kardashians.

• Love 1

I spoke with my friend who grew up with the Richards.  She said the moment at the poker table where Kim gets nasty is very reminiscent of Kim growing up.  Kim is the "prankster" puts someone down and belittles them until they break and then declares it was all in fun.  Kyle's getting up and leaving was a signal to Kim she had taken it too far. 

Brandi's claims of Kyle being jealous were unfounded-Kyle has always idolized Kim and respected her acting career.  It is not as if Kim and Kyle were up for the same roles as kids their five year age  difference pretty much precludes such a scenario.   

I read repeatedly that Kyle needs Alanon.  Kyle has had much in the way of counseling and dealing with her sister.  The burden should not shift away from Kim taking responsibility for her actions because Kyle does not discuss being a part of a group that by definition is anonymous. 

I also think maybe the reasons for Kim laying claim to caring for Monty in his last days might be worth a discussion.  I believe Monty is in Kim's life because Kim has a hard time being alone.  Last night was all about her and how his illness and death is about her.  While throwing together the hurry up wedding I do think Monty needed a place to hang his hat and go to doctor appointments.  My guess is Monty has others that care for him and at times he wants to be with them and away from Kim.  I do think Kim takes Monty's drugs and I do think she mixes them with her anti-anxiety meds and anti-depressants. 

Lastly, Brandi talks about having daily contact with Kim for the past several months.  It is just as much up to Kim to maintain contact with her family as it is theirs.  I think like Kim, Brandi is lonely and finds great solace in hearing Kim's woes.  

• Love 6

I also think maybe the reasons for Kim laying claim to caring for Monty in his last days might be worth a discussion.  I believe Monty is in Kim's life because Kim has a hard time being alone.

I'll discuss that.  She is laying claim to one big drug availability.  She is just drooling at the medications she'll be able to pop all day long. He'll be half dead and she'll be counting pills.  She's an addict and she is not in recovering.

• Love 14

I'll discuss that.  She is laying claim to one big drug availability.  She is just drooling at the medications she'll be able to pop all day long. He'll be half dead and she'll be counting pills.  She's an addict and she is not in recovering.

Amen. I'm not saying that she doesn't care about him, but she's hanging around because of the availability of narcotics. I know exactly how addicts work; I am one. She's trading her alcohol addiction for a pill addiction. It's a lot easier to abuse pills since there's no odor. The problem is that it's a lot easier to OD on pills, and Kim's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. She'll get in trouble with the narcotics eventually. Not only is she not in recovery, but IMO she's never been in recovery, at least from what I've seen on the show.

• Love 11