Type keyword(s) to search

Arrow Stars in Other Roles

• Start Topic

I think judging from set pictures is a pretty common thing that happens when any property gets remade or adapted to film from TV or book form. People love what is familiar, and they want the characters to look how they imagine/remember. I mean, I remember watching TMNT when I was younger, and he doesn't look like any version of Casey Jones I've ever seen. Most of those set pics look Oliver Queen-esque. If this was something I felt a lot of nostalgia for, maybe I'd be worried about it too. 

Is it pointless? Sure. Unfair? Yep. But it's not the first nor the last time a fandom will get all up in arms about something they haven't even seen yet, haha. 

• Love 3

Though because Stephen is a bit on the "pretty" side it's all going to come down to how Stephen handles the overall nature of the character. His interaction with the turtles and the delivery of the dialogue is really what will define if he's a good Casey. Which is the big unknown from set pictures.

He is an actor.  They should see if he can act before condemning him in the role.

On the other hand, I won't see any of the Harry Potter movies because what's on screen is so very different from what's in my head from the books.  It may have been what was in JK Rowling's head, but it's not what was in mine and I don't want to mess with my fantasies.   So it's also possible that the Casey Jones that the director and writer of the film wants is not the Casey Jones that fans see in their heads, in which case they're going to be out of luck.

• Love 1

Considering Megan Fox looks nothing like April O'Neil from the cartoons, I'm not surprised that Casey Jones looks nothing like the cartoon. The turtles also look more alien then reptile. Which I guess was the original plan before everyone jumped all over that, being that would've ruined the movie even more. I never understood why movie producers want to take something that is beloved whether it's a book or cartoon and change everything around from what made them popular in the first place? What's the point of that? People are going to watch to see what they loved not something completely different with the same name. World War Z is the biggest offender. The only thing that movie shares with the book is the title. 

The first movie was okay, but it was nothing like TMNT I remember when I was growing up. I was a huge fan of that cartoon, I most only watched the "boy" cartoons because the girl ones were too girly for me. I had TMNT and G.I. Joe action figures instead of Rainbow Bright or My Little Pony. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Never mind, wrong thread.

But here's a weird thing. I've never watched TMNT movies, but I did watch the cartoons as a kid. I remember the turtles and April clearly, but for the life of me I don't remember Casey Jones. I've been trying to remember if maybe the name was dubbed something else an that's what throwing me off, or if my local TV just plain cut most of his scenes off the episodes, which was standard practice for the local network the aired the show. [They used to cut every adult from WB shows from the 90s. Dawson Leery was always an orphan. Felicity didn't have the shrink. Oh, and Party of Five went the opposite route and the baby never appeared! Ah, growing up with a single network monopoly.]

Edited by dancingnancy

Never mind, wrong thread.

But here's a weird thing. I've never watched TMNT movies, but I did watch the cartoons as a kid. I remember the turtles and April clearly, but for the life of me I don't remember Casey Jones. I've been trying to remember if maybe the name was dubbed something else an that's what throwing me off, or if my local TV just plain cut most of his scenes off the episodes, which was standard practice for the local network the aired the show. [They used to cut every adult from WB shows from the 90s. Dawson Leery was always an orphan. Felicity didn't have the shrink. Oh, and Party of Five went the opposite route and the baby never appeared! Ah, growing up with a single network monopoly.]

So glad I'm not the only one. I loved TMNT cartoon as a kid. When they announced Casey Jones my first reaction was "Who?". 

• Love 6

I don't think Casey showed up that much in the original cartoons. He did have a big role in the original TMNT movie, and is a main character in several of the new TMNT cartoon series. I think he even dates and marries April in one of them.

I loved him in the original movie too. "The class is Pain 101. Your instructor is Casey Jones"

I loved the whole sequence between Raphael and Casey Jones in the park.  I'll be honest, i just loved Casey Jones in the movie, everything he did was fun.  

(edited)
The first movie was okay, but it was nothing like TMNT I remember when I was growing up. I was a huge fan of that cartoon, I most only watched the "boy" cartoons because the girl ones were too girly for me. I had TMNT and G.I. Joe action figures instead of Rainbow Bright or My Little Pony.

I didn't have much choice, we had like 4 TV channels in my childhood, so I didn't see TMNT. I did, however, watch "Biker Mice From Mars" religiously. Ahh, still remember it, good times.

And obviously I've seen a lot of Disney (not movies, just cartoon series), but it was like required viewing in my country during those times.

I did get TMNT comics at some point but they kinda confused me and I didn't really see the point. Never seen the Michael Bay movie too, try to avoid his movies as a rule.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

I remember Biker Mice from Mars. Me and my brother watched that show, I think my mom has those action figures boxed away somewhere.

Never seen the Michael Bay movie too, try to avoid his movies as a rule.

Smart move. I got the movie at Redbox because I had a free rental that was expiring and nothing else I wanted was in. 

I remember being home sick from school one day and seeing TMNT for the first time and making myself memorize the title to tell my brother since I thought it was the most effing stupid thing I'd ever heard of in my life...and then I started watching it.  I'm pretty sure I shipped April with Leonardo (the one in the blue) which is probably why I don't remember Casey Jones.  Don't mess with my OTP, lol.

I remember watching the TMNT cartoons back in the 1980s and maybe early 1990s. I don't remember there being a Casey Jones. The characters I remember are the four turtles, Splinter, April and Shredder. And didn't Shredder have two henchmen who were too stupid to live? And was there a giant brain in a jar that was Shredder's boss? I haven't watched in more than 20 years so some of my memories could be wrong or mixed up with other cartoons.

• Love 1

I'm sure he was. He just wasn't memorable enough or didn't have enough screentime for me to remember him.

you're not the only one. I watched the cartoons too... religiously! I have no memory of Casey Jones what so ever... but I was under 10 years old back then sooo.

• Love 1

Watched it a lot as child. I remember the Turtles, April, Shredder & Splinter, no memory of Casey Jones. And then my sister who is 7 years younger became obsessed with it during preschool, so much so she was a ninja turtle for Halloween. If I really try to pull my memory back I can almost remember Casey Jones if you ask me too and perhaps show a picture. But he is definitely not someone I would list as connected to TMNT, I'm more inclined to say he's a train from one of those campfire songs. But I think that actually might be Casey Jr.

(edited)

I think I remember him from the cartoons because of the Dirty Harry voice, I grew up watching old movies, especially Westerns. A Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry voice would have been very memorable to me. I also loved Casey Jones in the 90s movie, which helps make the character extremely memorable. In fact I'd argue that while I remember Casey from the cartoons the movie version is the definitive Casey, IMO

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

In the Twin Cities area Casey Jones was the name of the title character on a long time running kids show from the 50's to the 70's.  He was a train engineer.  My mother still talks about going home from school for lunch (that alone was weird for me to hear) and watching Lunch with Casey Jones every day.  I think he was the local version of a Captain Kangaroo.

So I have trouble separating Casey Jones and my mother with then you bring in SA and it just starts getting weird and messy. 

• Love 1

I did some reading on the wikipedia entry for Casey Jones and apparently he was only in 5 episodes of the cartoon series that aired in the 1980s/1990s. So it's not surprising that most of us don't remember him.

• Love 6
(edited)

Good for PB...

Paul Blackthorne to Star in New Action Movie DARK ASCENSION
June 18, 2015
http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwmovies/article/Paul-Blackthorne-to-Star-in-New-Action-Movie-DARK-ASCENSION-20150618

As Willis, Blackthorne plays a rebellious alpha-male, living in a war-torn afterlife.

Dark Ascension follows three new arrivals - Willis, Taylor and Danni - as they navigate this fresh vision of the Afterlife, helped along the way by trusty Guardian Paul. They find the afterlife in ruins amidst a growing war between Heaven and Hell. The new arrivals must find a way to put things right to prevent an eternal battle between good and evil.

Paul Blackthorne joins the talented cast: Bruce Campbell (Evil Dead II), Jillian Murray (Bad Ass), Nathan Jones (Troy, Mad Max: Fury Road), Jack O'Halloran (Superman, King Kong), Stephen Marcus (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Quills), Sean Young (Blade Runner, Ace Ventura) and Mackenzie Crook (Pirates of the Caribbean, The Office). The picture is being executive-produced by horror legend Scott Spiegel (Evil Dead), and directed by Gene Fallaize.

Scott Spiegel, Tony Cook and Victoria Fallaize will produce the picture for Cupsogue Pictures, which was written by Tony Cook, Gene Fallaize and Marcus Ako. Dark Ascension will be released theatrically in 2016.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

SA talks about his role as Casey Jones in TMNT2. Not too spoilery, but still interesting:

http://www.thetvjunkies.com/stephen-amell-his-version-casey-jones/

"My version of Casey Jones is really incomplete,” says Amell before going on to explain that this take on the character, known for wielding weapons such as golf clubs, hockey sticks and baseball bats, may be different from what fans expect. “We meet Casey Jones at a very different point in his life than most people that are familiar with the live-action version of Casey Jones. He’s not really that guy yet,” explains Amell.

So then just what is this new era Casey Jones up to? Amell remains somewhat tight lipped but adds that “he is doing something different and has aspirations that don’t really involve being a vigilante. Then he’s put in his place a little bit and he needs to make a few decisions.”

So, a Casey Jones origin story? I'm torn between being annoyed and impressed that they're trying to flesh out this character. He's a guy who wears a hockey mask and whacks people with sports equipment -- not that complicated. But it does makes me wonder how big a role Amell will have in the movie.

(edited)

I agree, it´s probably  a significant role. He is spending almost his entire hiatus time in NY. SA wouldn´t do this, if he didn´t have to. So, I suppose he is very busy with shooting. And who knows, maybe TMNT2 does so well at the box offices that there will be more sequels - with more appearances of SA as Casey Jones... or - just a random thought - maybe one day in the future we will get a Casey Jones centric spin off movie in the Turtleverse?

Edited by Kordi

Yeah, they must be attempting to set up something for him in future films (if there are any). I was wondering if maybe—given Megan Fox's history with Michael Bay—they were attempting to set him up to take her place. 

• Love 1

Yeah minor characters don't get a nice car like that for a small role. I think it's a pretty big role for him. I think because the first turtle movie did well they are trying to make this one better.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, it definitely look a little bigger than just a bit role. Especially if one of the major easter eggs for a possible trilogy according to this article is linked to his plotline. I wonder whether he'll get top billing after Megan Fox or at least above the title billing? Excited for him. Hopefully the movie is a good break for him.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 2

I'll probably try this show, so I'm glad. I'm not really a fan of Kevin Alejandro (he's okay, but I don't really care) but I really dislike the dude he's replacing, for some reason.

(edited)

Here is an article with new rumors about a SA - Cody Rhodes wrestling match... well, TBH it doesn´t convince me, but I´m bored and don´t wanna do my work, so I post stuff instead in order to keep myself busy... *sigh*

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2015/7/7/8909805/stephen-amell-still-teasing-wwe-angle-arrow

The article´s only evidence is this tweet from SA:

"Tough to say. Probably involves a squared circle".

which in turn was an answer to this question in #AskAmell

"@amellywood now that Josh Donaldson has won, what's your next goal? We're here ready to help! #AskAmell"

see: https://twitter.com/amellywood/status/618408352746504192

Edited by Kordi
(edited)

SA has wrapped shooting on TMNT 2...
https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/photos/a.510703882348217.1073741826.146921975393078/883667111718557/?type=1&theater

He also posted a thank you message on his Facebook page...

Stephen Amell  13 hrs
Facebook. It happened. I played Casey Jones. The movie is going to come out in theaters - JUNE 3rd, 2016!!! - and everything. What a surreal experience. Went from an all nighter in Vancouver to finish up Arrow straight to New York via Calgary and the adventure began. I'd like to thank some people: ... [read more]
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I'll watch it because Manu Bennet's awesome and also because it's fantasy (yes it's enough for me, there are very few shows in this genre, and I mean real secondary world fantasy, not Harry Potter stuff), but holy shit, why oh why couldn't they have chosen better material? Shannara sucks ass! I even thought this when I was in my teenage "Read everything fantasy" phase (yes I even got to to book 9 of Sword of Truth series that's how desperate I was). 

The trailer does look beautiful, though, but I'm willing to bet it will suck, because I haven't seen a good MTV show yet (Teen Wolf was watchable for a few years but never good).

• Love 1
(edited)

I'll watch it because Manu Bennet's awesome and also because it's fantasy (yes it's enough for me, there are very few shows in this genre, and I mean real secondary world fantasy, not Harry Potter stuff), but holy shit, why oh why couldn't they have chosen better material? Shannara sucks ass! I even thought this when I was in my teenage "Read everything fantasy" phase (yes I even got to to book 9 of Sword of Truth series that's how desperate I was). 

The trailer does look beautiful, though, but I'm willing to bet it will suck, because I haven't seen a good MTV show yet (Teen Wolf was watchable for a few years but never good).

I gave up after book 3 or 4 - it's been too many years to remember.  When it first came out there just wasn't that much fantasy.  But yeah, Manu - so I will give it a chance.  Also, isn't the hero Thea's DJ

assassin and ONS

?  

Edited by tessaray

I gave up after book 3 or 4 - it's been too many years to remember. When it first came out there just wasn't that much fantasy. But yeah, Manu - so I will give it a chance. Also, isn't the hero Thea's DJ?

Yes