Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
xaxat

Off-Season Olympics Coverage

On 12/17/2017 at 5:52 PM, ketchuplover said:

I predict not only will the poster remain it will double in size and be a big focus by the media.  

It's totally going to be on t-shirts (available for sale).

Oh, by the way, Athena told me that we don't need mod permission to create threads in the Olympics subforum.  She simply wanted to start getting things set up now, that's all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Dutch news is reporting that Sion has expressed interest in doing the speed skating events in the Netherlands for the 2026 bid. 

It would certainly be interesting to see the logistics of having speed skating in an entirely different country and part of Europe from the rest of the games.  It would also be a win-win situation for the Netherlands -- home-ice advantage for their national sport without the pressure of having to actually host a full Winter Olympics (which would be impossible anyway due to the lack of mountains there!).

• Like 1

Austrian police raid on International Biathlon Union headquarters:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sport-biathlon-raid/biathlon-austrian-police-raid-international-biathlon-union-headquarters-ibu-idUSKBN1HI2UX

Rumor mill is saying that, just like in track an field, the Russian sporting officials reportedly paid the federation to misplace positive drug tests from Russian athletes. If this verifies, it rather makes a joke of the whole 'Olympic athlete from Russia' allowance in South Korea and the subsequent lifting of the Russia ban. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, selkie said:

Austrian police raid on International Biathlon Union headquarters:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sport-biathlon-raid/biathlon-austrian-police-raid-international-biathlon-union-headquarters-ibu-idUSKBN1HI2UX

Rumor mill is saying that, just like in track an field, the Russian sporting officials reportedly paid the federation to misplace positive drug tests from Russian athletes. If this verifies, it rather makes a joke of the whole 'Olympic athlete from Russia' allowance in South Korea and the subsequent lifting of the Russia ban. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5296225

• Like 3

USA Wrestling is trying to make all journalists covering the sport undergo background checks and a training program with the same protocols as coaches, volunteers, referees, and medical personnel who work with USA Wrestling.  The AP Sports Editors organization is saying, no way, and is calling for a journalists' boycott of USA Wrestling.

https://deadspin.com/usa-wrestling-will-require-media-to-submit-to-vague-bac-1825326345?

Christine Girard has been formally upgraded to the 2012 weightlifting gold, after the stripping of the medals from the Russian and Kazakh weightlifters who initially placed in front of her.  So Canada no longer won only one gold medal in London.

Bulgarian and Mexican weightlifters are upgrades from 4-5 place to silver and bronze.

• Like 4

Anne Donovan, women's basketball player and coach, who played in 3 Olympic games and coached the US women to gold in Beijing, has died of heart failure at the young age of 56.  She also coached at Old Dominion and in the WNBA.  A legend gone much too soon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/06/14/death-of-anne-donovan-legendary-womens-basketball-star-and-coach-stuns-sports-world/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0d70a4feefd3

• Like 2

I think I may have officially seen the weirdest sport ever.  I have been watching the World Equestrian Games (on NBCSN & maybe the Olympic Channel) and up until now it has been Olympic events like cross country and dressage. Tonight I stumbled on an event called vaulting.  I thought I would see horses jumping over things.  Nope - picture synchronized swimming crossed with rhythmic gymnastics minus water plus a big horse going around in circles.  I have never seen anything like it.  If you can find it On Demand or online you will be stunned by what you see.

• Like 1

Calgary voters tell city to take its Olympic bid and stick it where the sun never rises.

Turns out after Calgary city officials rescued the city’s 2026 Olympics bid from the brink of death with a last-minute renegotiation with the Canadian federal government, city residents voted to send it right back to the grave yesterday, delivering a 56-44% verdict that the city should not offer to host the Games.

With just seven months to go before the International Olympic Committee makes its decision on a 2026 host, this leaves only Stockholm and a joint bid by the Italian cities of Milan and Cortina in the running. And Stockholm’s new city government has declared itself opposed to using any public funding to build Olympic facilities or cover cost overruns, while the Italian national government has said it won’t contribute “one euro” to Milan-Cortina costs.

While I usually roll my eyes at NBC Sports' attempts to turn women's alpine skiing into the Lindsey and Mikaela show, I've got to admit I teared up a couple times over Lindsey's farewell in the downhill at the World Championships. They did a good job of showing not just how good she was for so long but how much she genuinely loved her sport and getting up and going to work every days despite the injuries, and it was cute how she was all fangirl over Ingemar Stenmark, who usually avoids the spotlights these days, coming out to see her. 

• Like 3

I am so happy Lindsey made the podium for her final race. She gave everything she had to her sport.

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 4

A CAS ruling has effectively established that there is a biological definition of female for the purposes of elite athletic competition

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2019/05/01/olympics-7-questions-caster-semenyas-appeal-loss-iaafs-rules/3637922002/

There was no easy way of deciding this, and there's a fair amount fo sympathy for Caster, who has  put up with a lot of crud and innuendo with class and good sportsmanship over the past decade, even from people who feel like she shouldn't be allowed to compete as an elite woman at her natural testosterone level. 

11 minutes ago, selkie said:

A CAS ruling has effectively established that there is a biological definition of female for the purposes of elite athletic competition

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2019/05/01/olympics-7-questions-caster-semenyas-appeal-loss-iaafs-rules/3637922002/

There was no easy way of deciding this, and there's a fair amount fo sympathy for Caster, who has  put up with a lot of crud and innuendo with class and good sportsmanship over the past decade, even from people who feel like she shouldn't be allowed to compete as an elite woman at her natural testosterone level. 

It is a difficult situation, but I think it has to be a case of the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few.  It simply isn't a fair contest when a few of the female athletes have a significantly higher testosterone level in sports where that makes a big difference.  I'm not sure what other solution would be fair.

• Like 3

I think this ruling is shameful. Athletes have all types of physical advantages that they were born with. This doesn’t seem different to me. It’s disgusting to tell her that she isn’t women enough because of her naturally occurring hormones. Now athlete’s bodies are being policed for being in their natural state? Such a sad precedent to set. She has been mistreated her entire career. 

• Like 3