Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: The Mountain And The Viper 2014.06.01

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

Unexpected visitors arrive in Mole's Town. Littlefinger's motives are questioned. Ramsay tries to prove himself to his father. Tyrion's fate is decided.

Reminder: This is for discussion of the TV show only, no book talk allowed - including saying "but it's different in the books". Any spoiler from outside the books (i.e. next weeks preview) should be in spoiler tags.

I am not okay with any of this.

Well, I'm pretty okay with Sansa being a badass and Arya laughing about yet another dead relative. But the rest? Not okay. Dammit, Oberyn. If you'd have just stopped grandstanding and chopped his head off or something.

• Love 13

Seven hells! Actually I only saw the edges of the final scene -- my hands were in front of my eyes.

Was the rest of the fight good?

The rest of the fight was fucking awesome! (Can we say fucking on PreviouslyTV?) He fought like a Wushu fighter with lots of Kung Fu styles spins and long spear technique. It was terrific. Right up to the point where he forgot to finish him. Where's a Spartan when you need him?
  • Love 10
(edited)

What the everloving fuck! I honestly did not see that coming at all. Oberyn (and the actor) just struck me as someone who would stick around for a while. Damn. He was fine too. 

And, this is most definitely an unpopular opinion, but I'm annoyed that there will likely be some twist which saves Tyrion. It's obvious that he won't be killed (this is not a spoiler at all, just based on his status and importance to the story) and I would have much rather it have been because Oberyn won. 

I can't watch Sansa/Littlefinger scenes. It honestly makes me sick. He is such a predator. And I honestly don't know what Sansa is thinking. Has she developed a crush or something? Can someone please clue her into his role in his father's death? She must know that he is not a good man. 

If Arya and Sansa don't see each other, I will scream. 

BTW: I was meandthemoon on TWoP, just in case.

Edited by Hava
  • Love 2

Well that was a sick ending, I actually threw my remote at the TV.  I loved Obie, but his death didn't make me cry, just angry.  The whole episode sucked with so much filler, except for Arya laughing at the news of Lysa's death, that was hilarious.  And I have no idea what game Sansa is playing, its a very dangerous one if she plans on taking on LF. 

• Love 2

I was thinking about how that fight was following that last Inigo Montoya duel so closely. But wow, the end really didn't follow. Please tell me this doesn't mean we'll lose Tyrion, too

• Love 1
(edited)

Nooooo! Crap Oberyn, you were all sexy and badass with your crazy Dornish fighting technique and you just had to ruin it with hubris. And could his death be anymore gruesome?. I can only imagine what my neighbors are thinking right now, because I spent the final two minutes of that scene screaming "Noooo!" through the hands covering my face..

Edited by cynic
  • Love 9
(edited)

I REALLY, REALLY wanted them to change the ending of the fight scene and not have my BF die, but alas.

I was rather bored with the episode or perhaps was hoping for more excitement after a 2 week break.

Sansa growing some cajones is nice to finally see - it's about time. if homegirl wants to survive the game of thrones she needs them.

PS...Hey friends from that other site that doesn't exist anymore. Glad to be able to continue the fun.

Edited by msani19
  • Love 3
(edited)

This show is now officially too much for me.  That was the most horrific thing I've ever seen (and confirms that I'd definitely be an aetheist in Westeros).  I'll sleep on it but I think I might [become spoiled] before I watch another episode... I want to be prepared for shit like that.

Edited by TooMuchCoffee
  • Love 7

And I have no idea what game Sansa is playing, its a very dangerous one if she plans on taking on LF.

I actually hope that's true! I hope this is a way for her to lure Littlefinger in and bring him down, and not because she actually cares for him or trusts him. *shivers*

• Love 1

Sansa might actually be playing the game now.  "Better the devil you know"...  Hopefully she can turn the tide in the suck that is her life right now.   Arya and the Hound are finally at the Eyrie. Will the Stark sisters finally reunite?  I might say no, since this show looooves to crush my heart in numerous ways.  Poor Ellaria and Tyrion!  

(edited)

I'm sure I'm not alone in this but I totally love Sansa and Littlefinger! They've got loads of chemistry and I like this side of her. She knows how to play the game and it's fun to watch.

Really bummed about Oberyn. No clue what will happen next.

So did Ramsey kill all those people that Theon promised would be safe? His storyline makes me sad.

Ygritte was badass and it was unnerving but glad she let Gilly live.

Edited by SoWindsor
  • Love 3

MOD REMINDER: This is a NO BOOK TALK thread. Not even mentioning the books. Any posts mentioning it will be edited, deleted, or moved to the BOOK TALK thread.

Thank you and welcome to PTV!

• Love 3

Okay my only beef with this episode is Littlefinger's surprise at Sansa's speech.  I assumed the whole I-am-Sansa reveal was written by Littlefinger.  He's way to clever to kill Lysa without a really good story to cover for it and the Lady was right -- Lysa would never leave Sweet Robin without a really good reason and being jealous of Littlefinger's niece wasn't a good reason.

That being said, I kinda like bad-ass Sansa after all these seasons of being victim Sansa.  So I will willfully suspend disbelief.  But it's a weak spot.

• Love 1
(edited)

Seven hells! Actually I only saw the edges of the final scene -- my hands were in front of my eyes.

So...Oberyn...you just had to have it didn't ya.  You just had to push it!   If you haven't learned yet to not become overly attached to anyone in the "Game of Thrones" world, you just haven't been paying attention. Of course that being said, I'm not through with Tyrion just yet so he had better find a way out of this mess.

I like where Sansa is going. Taking up and taking on Littlefinger? Oh girlfriend is playing with the big kids now and things are getting interesting. And Arya just doesn't give a fuck anymore, does she? Lysa dead, The Hound out his ransom and all Arya can do it have a giggle fit. Nice to see the girl have a little fun and humour in her life before she's again off killing another on her list.

Edited by onthebrink03
  • Love 4

Freakin' Oberyn........and I really liked him too. Stupid, stupid stupid.

ALthough I kept thinking, as he was fighting "My name is Diego Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die"

Didn't they both die? Isnt there a special rule for that? There has to be, can't be the first time.

The rest was pretty boring.

This show is now officially too much for me.  That was the most horrific thing I've ever seen (and confirms that I'd definitely be an aetheist in Westeros).  I'll sleep on it but I think I might read the books before I watch another episode... I want to be prepared for shit like that.

Being unspoiled is a bitch sometimes... It just sucks to lose characters I actually like.

• Love 2
(edited)

Soooo  first and foremost Daenerys is an idiot!!

Secondly, EVERY single scene with Sansa and Littlefinger creeped me the *bleep* out!! I mean seriously skeeved me out..I was *cringing*..was she wearing a mockingbird dress at the end there...*shudder*

Daenerys is an idiot!!

Oberyn let his emotions control him and it was the end of him, that really was a gruesome death.  I felt bad for Tyrion, he looked so relieved at the end and Jaime was smiling and then *BAM*. The fight was beautiful though, he was quick and light on his feet..but sorry I still have an issue picturing Mountain part 3 being old enough to kill/rape Elia all those years ago.. Question though, if both people die then the accused is automatically guilty? Pity about Oberyn though, I loved his character.

Daenerys is an idiot!!..Yes Jorah betrayed her but he also also  been by her side this entire time and he did ultimately save her from drinking the wine. .She needs to realize that people can change.  As for Barristan.. Mr. honest and honorable, whatever..I have never been a fan of Barristan Selmy because he would have stood by and let the Mad King burn Kings landing because of “honor” ALSO if he wasn’t "retired"by Joffrey he would have served him until the day he died no matter what atrocities Joffrey committed and would now be guarding Tommen. He should have kept his mouth shut or at least allowed Jorah to speak with her in private, Jorah deserved that much.  Tywin wins again, he got rid of one of Dany's seasoned advisors and she played right into his hands.

I found Arya laughing a bit strange to tell the truth, I wonder what happens now. Technically Robin is her cousin so the Hound can leave Arya there but he won't get pain.  Honestly though at this point she really isn't his prisoner.

By the way, did I say Daenerys is an idiot!

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 7
(edited)

Wow. Was hoping Reek would find his inner Greyjoy and bust out after being calle a woman.

Guess the Hound won't be getting his bone after looking after Arya.

The fight scene was underwhelming to me. Thought It would have been longer, but what an ending.

Edited by spursdad

That was the most horrific thing I've ever seen (and confirms that I'd definitely be an aetheist in Westeros).

Your comment reminds me -- all through that tedious scene about the brain-damaged cousin who like to kill beetles I kept wondering "what the seven hells is the point of this?"  Then I decided it was a commentary on the gods -- that they are just like the idiot cousin, killing men and woman and children mindlessly for no other reason than because they can.  Yeah, I'm betting secret atheism runs rampant in Westeros.

• Love 10
(edited)
QuoteQuote

I found Arya laughing a bit strange to tell the truth...

No, I would've laughed, too. Supposedly, Lysa is her last living relative. To have journeyed all that way to find out she'd just died...the absurdity of it would've struck me funny as well.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Love 6

Sophie Turner Emmy reel.  I cried during her scenes.  I am so much more scared for Sansa now than I ever was when she was in King's Landing.

Oberyn Montoya, we hardly knew ye.

I'm feeling better about Sansa.  She saw her opportunity and took it by revealing to Lord Royce that she's Sansa Stark and thereby got herself some allies and protection.  Littlefinger didn't see that coming, and there's nothing he can do about it.  I'm sure he'll continue leering at her because he's a perv, but he touches her at his own peril now that Lord Royce knows who she is.  Sansa's got her own long game, and it doesn't include letting Littlefinger stick his tongue down her throat and worse.  Looks like things are going to get interesting in the Vale.

And of course, Arya wont' meet up with Sansa.  Stark siblings just missing each other is getting tiresome.

• Love 4

So the verdict is based on who died first?

Pretty much. Or thinking an innocent man's champion wouldn't die at all, will of the gods and all that.

Augh, I still have a half-hour left on my download.

• Love 1

This show is now officially too much for me.  That was the most horrific thing I've ever seen (and confirms that I'd definitely be an aetheist in Westeros).  I'll sleep on it but I think I might read the books before I watch another episode... I want to be prepared for shit like that.

eta - actually, I think this might reinforce my decision back in 1999 to stop reading after book 2.  

I also don't totally buy Oberyn's lapse of judgement.  Yes, he is passionate and he was worked into a frenzy over his sister and, yes, he was drinking, but I don't see him making a mistake like that. It was necessary for the plot but that was just plain stupid. Oberyn has not been shown to be stupid. 

eta 2 - my unsullied son just texted me that he's disappointed in the show for the first time. The Oberyn we've seen does not make that mistake and the only other bit worth watching was Arya's laugh. Now that was in character!

• Love 3

I'm  on board with Sansa being more than a total pawn. She should've learned plenty from her time in King's Landing about taking  part in things rather than being blown about like a leaf. I  want to see her get her intrigue cred.

I really thought Oberyn would make it out of the fight in one piece, but no. And what a grotty way to die.

I too hope Arya and Sansa meet up soon. I hope the Hound doesn't decide to rid himself of Arya, now that he's plumb out of any more people to ransom her to.

(edited)

Secondly, EVERY single scene with Sansa and Littlefinger creeped me the *bleep* out!! I mean seriously skeeved me out..I was *cringing*..was she wearing a mockingbird dress at the end there...*shudder*

Is THAT what she was wearing?  I couldn't figure it out.  It looked a bit like one of the evil queen dresses from "Snow White and the Huntsman" but now that you mention it, it also looks a bit like Katniss' mockingjay dress from "Catching Fire" so yeah -- a mockingbird dress makes sense.  Presumably she raided Lysa's closet.  She's in official mourning for her aunt so that explains why she would go looking for a black dress and it makes perfect sense that Littlefinger-obsessed Lysa would have mockingbird dress in her closet.  Well, that just ups the Littlefinger-Sansa creep factor doesn't it?

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Oh, yeah.  Too bad for Tyrion.

I'm still processing the terrible awful death of Oberyn, but I had to post to tell you thanks for this wonderful IRL LOL moment. Oh, Oberyn I will miss you! Got caught monologuing.

• Love 3

Your comment reminds me -- all through that tedious scene about the brain-damaged cousin who like to kill beetles I kept wondering "what the seven hells is the point of this?"  Then I decided it was a commentary on the gods -- that they are just like the idiot cousin, killing men and woman and children mindlessly for no other reason than because they can.  Yeah, I'm betting secret atheism runs rampant in Westeros.

And gentle Tyrion let the beetle go. I hope that's foreshadowing.

• Love 4
(edited)
Yes. They were also flayed.

Speaking of flaying, when Ramsey got down on his knees, almost tearily telling daddy that he would uphold the "traditions" of the Bolton name, I wondered what other "tradition" existed in that particular family.

Also show, I didn't need to see that flayed corpse to tell the truth... Theon, I really thought that he would have realized who he was at the last minute but he really is gone mentally. When that man challenged him it looked as if he was about to freak out and run in a corner going "Reek" "Reek"

Edited by bluvelvet

Oh, god. They made me love him just so it would hurt more when he died! I honestly should have seen that coming, but I didn't at all and it's the first time I've been so surprised since season one.

I really liked this episode. I felt like it flew by. Maybe Tyrion's speech about the beetles was a little heavy-handed, but, otherwise, it was great.

• Love 3

Wow that was intense, frustrating and gruesome. Oberyn acted like he was in a horror movie thinking the monster's dead and letting his guard down. The fight was beautifully choreographed. I loved the reactions of all of the Lannisters, especially Jamie being wowed.

I hope Sansa is taking control of her life but how can she be in control with the conniving Littlefinger around? I think he's about to kill Robyn so he and Sansa can be together. Gross.

I hope Danerys gets burned up and eaten by her dragons.  I've said before that Jorah was the brains of that outfit, and this episode confirmed it. Tywin Lannister wins another battle by fomenting distrust in the enemy camp.  Barriston may be a loyal protector, but he's not a strategic thinker -- which is probably why he's such a loyal protector.

• Love 5