Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

Another interview with Whoopi:   http://extratv.com/2015/09/08/will-rosie-odonnell-and-barbara-walters-return-to-the-view/

Co-host Whoopi Goldberg addressed rumors that former co-host Rosie O’Donnell could be returning to the show, alongside other hosts Candice Cameron Bure, Paula Faris, Raven-Symoné, and Joy Behar. She said, "I don’t think Rosie O’Donnell is coming back to ‘The View’ at all,  ever again. Now I’m only here for a year, so I could be wrong, she could be back in two years. She won’t be back this year."

Goldberg also shut down reports that Barbara Walters is returning by saying, "She’s not coming back."

"The View” added some new faces, and changed its schedule. There will be five live shows, but Whoopi won’t be at the table on Fridays. Whoopi revealed, "My contract is only for four and one additional during the week, because there was no time to really readjust or renegotiate, Joy will do Fridays.”

Though Rosie and Barbara aren’t returning, Joy is more than happy to be returning to the show. She gushed, "It feels great to be back. I like it. The group is nice, I like these girls, they’re lovely.”

Edit: Bolding and italics by me for emphasis!

Edited by buffynut
  • Love 7

Do you think the Disney/ABC brass likes that Whoopi has named herself the end all be all on who might and might not come back?  Rosie O has always been a huge Disney supporter, we all remember the Frozen/Let it Go synergy that Rosie O brought, and then you have Babs.  I'm thinking they might tell Whoopi to shut her mouth at this point or divert her from interviews speaking about stuff she knows nothing about nor has the power to speak about.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 2

Do you think the Disney/ABC brass likes that Whoopi has named herself the end all be all on who might and might not come back?  Rosie O has always been a huge Disney supporter, we all remember the Froze/Let it Go synergy that Rosie O brought, and then you have Babs.  I'm thinking they might tell Whoopi to shut her mouth at this point or divert her from interviews speaking about stuff she knows nothing about nor has the power to speak about.

So then, Whoopi wouldn't be on the show any more!!!

• Love 2

Whoopi may just be talking out of her ass as usual. True or not, I suspect going back to visit the view is pretty low on Rosie's priority list right now anyway. She's having an awfully hard time with personal matters, especially her heartbreak over the situation with Chelsea.

• Love 4

Wouldn't it be funny if ABC is making up these Rosie O might return rumors in order to make Whoopi consider breaking her contract and leave?  You can totally tell how much it gets under her skin just the idea of Rosie O returning.  If they were to release one of these rumors about the higher brass discussing it every few weeks who knows what might happen.  As for Babs, well she's just crazy...although I could see her wanting to come back so she can interview Trump or some of the other potential candidates for President on air.

• Love 5

Another interview with Whoopi:   http://extratv.com/2015/09/08/will-rosie-odonnell-and-barbara-walters-return-to-the-view/

Co-host Whoopi Goldberg addressed rumors that former co-host Rosie O’Donnell could be returning to the show, alongside other hosts Candice Cameron Bure, Paula Faris, Raven-Symoné, and Joy Behar. She said, "I don’t think Rosie O’Donnell is coming back to ‘The View’ at all,  ever again. Now I’m only here for a year, so I could be wrong, she could be back in two years. She won’t be back this year."

Goldberg also shut down reports that Barbara Walters is returning by saying, "She’s not coming back."

"The View” added some new faces, and changed its schedule. There will be five live shows, but Whoopi won’t be at the table on Fridays. Whoopi revealed, "My contract is only for four and one additional during the week, because there was no time to really readjust or renegotiate, Joy will do Fridays.”

Though Rosie and Barbara aren’t returning, Joy is more than happy to be returning to the show. She gushed, "It feels great to be back. I like it. The group is nice, I like these girls, they’re lovely.”

Edit: Bolding and italics by me for emphasis!

Oh, wow, Whoopi was emphatic, and then sternly told that reporter that he should be asking about the four days a week thing.  She is PISSED!  And, kind of an asshole.  I love it, but not enough to make me watch.  I watched yesterday but did not today, and may pvr tomorrow, because the idiot is calling in.

• Love 2

Barbara must be watching another show

"As The View embarks on a remarkable 19th season, I am extremely proud to see the legacy of smart and diverse women engaging in entertaining and thought-provoking conversation continue," Walters said in a statement.

http://www.eonline.com/news/693598/whoopi-goldberg-makes-an-awkward-joke-about-the-view-s-co-hosts-watch-now

and I wonder if Candace will ever make it on the show following her Facebook post

Ahead of the show's premiere, Bure took to Facebook to ask for prayers to protect her from "mean" and "hateful" liberal viewers. "Please encourage me if you watch the show. Please tag The View on your social media outlets if you have anything kind to say about me or my viewpoint," she wrote Monday night.

"The majority of the feedback I get from The View audience is from liberals (whom I love) but are mean, hateful and downright nasty toward me. It's incredibly disheartening to read."
Edited by springtime
  • Love 4

Ahead of the show's premiere, Bure took to Facebook to ask for prayers to protect her from "mean" and "hateful" liberal viewers. "Please encourage me if you watch the show. Please tag The View on your social media outlets if you have anything kind to say about me or my viewpoint," she wrote Monday night.

"The majority of the feedback I get from The View audience is from liberals (whom I love) but are mean, hateful and downright nasty toward me. It's incredibly disheartening to read."

Oh Jesus (no pun intended) she is going to be another Elisabeth.  Poor little Candace getting picked on by the big bad liberals.  If she puts her opinions and beliefs out there then she needs to be prepared to have people disagree with them.  You are entitled to your view.  Doesn't mean everyone is going to share it.

• Love 16

And wasn't someone asking on this forum why people dislike Candace? 

I hope her facebook post cleared that up.

ETA:  At second glance,  anyone think that she was encouraged to do this,  by TPTB, who are worried that The View audience is composed of liberals, and they wasn't more conservative viewers to watch too?   I don't know, but it kind of smells like "let's make sparks" from a year or so ago. Like she's been cast in the role of Elizabeth to play opposite Joy.  

I wish they'd stop looking at this show like it has to be a political forum for liberal/conservative.   The original show just had women with their own opinions, not lining up on opposite "sides"  of the political aisle. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 6

And wasn't someone asking on this forum why people dislike Candace? 

I hope her facebook post cleared that up.

Here is the full content:

"Yo!

As I prepare for my first official day as co-host of The View tomorrow, it may be somewhat anticlimactic as I'll only be on one segment. (Tune in to find out why.) But as I return on a more permanent basis, here is what I ask in addition to your prayers:

Please encourage me if you watch the show. Please tag The View on your social media outlets if you have anything kind to say about me or my viewpoint. The majority of the feedback I get from The View audience is from liberals (whom I love) but are mean, hateful and downright nasty toward me. It's incredibly disheartening to read.2

And while I know I have the support of many, most of those supporters don't vocalize it on social media. So all I read and The View hears are the negative and discouraging comments I'm tagged to that call me a vile, discussing, worthless and bigoted human being.

Don't do what many often do no voting day…. not show up. Be a voice- if not for me, but for a show like this so they can hear more than one point of View! If we don't speak up, they'll never know.

Thanks- and Share this if you're inclined."

Edited by springtime
  • Love 2

They had a conservative voice.  Nicolle Wallace.  They fired her.  Probably because she wasn't bat shit crazy. 

CCB is not going to be up to the task of being the bearer of the conservative torch.  If she can't handle social media criticism then how the hell is she going to be able to handle Joy debating her?  Unlike Elisabeth who had Geddie in her corner coddling her I don't see anyone protecting Candace.

• Love 12

Candace Cameron-Bure complains about being called a bigot.  But that must happen because she's done &/or said things that appear bigoted.  If her critics have misunderstood her position, then she should explain why it's not bigoted -- otherwise, if she walks like a bigot & talks like a bigot, she should accept the consequences.

• Love 11

The majority of the feedback I get from The View audience is from liberals (whom I love) but are mean, hateful and downright nasty toward me. It's incredibly disheartening to read.2

What an interesting remark.  She loves "liberals" but they are mean and downright nasty!   Outrageous!

• Love 8

I wish they'd stop looking at this show like it has to be a political forum for liberal/conservative.   The original show just had women with their own opinions, not lining up on opposite "sides"  of the political aisle. 

Indeed!

• Love 2

I couldn't find that post so either she deleted it or it's buried (or it's not real). If it's real, wow, positioning herself as a victim of mean scary "liberals" already right out of the gate before she's even done one full show as a permanent host. If anyone is looking for an explanation for why she is disliked I'd say this kind of behavior is at least one excellent example.

No honey, you are NOT a victim, and if you can't handle opposing viewpoints or people calling you out for your regressive or inaccurate or seemingly bigoted views you are in the wrooooooong business. That said, personal and ad hominem attacks are not okay, period, but unfortunately if you're in the public eye or maintain any kind of social media or Internet presence I'm afraid you're going to have to learn to live with it and grow a thicker skin.

Interestingly, while I was looking for that post I did notice that 90% of her commenting fans claim to hate The View (cuz scary non-God-fearing gay loving Hollywood liberals…or...something) and say they won't watch even for CCB, so if TPTB were hoping that she would drag along a built-in audience to boost ratings that may prove to be a serious miscalculation.

• Love 8

That's a good article, CattyTiger. I forgot the absurd "so many women on your jock" comment from Raven to the Donald. If it were anyone else, other than the Donald, I'd also comment on her appalling lack of respect for a Presidential candidate.

• Love 4

That's a good article, CattyTiger. I forgot the absurd "so many women on your jock" comment from Raven to the Donald. If it were anyone else, other than the Donald, I'd also comment on her appalling lack of respect for a Presidential candidate.

I heard it.... I was gonna comment on it.... but then thought I heard wrong and would have embarrassed myself..... I guess I give them too much credit

Oh... one other thing that I caught but the ladies of The View didnt..... Trump said he was winning the Latino polls..... he even gave that information to the media at one of his events...... the poll showed Trump leading with 34%..... 2nd was 31%... and 2 others were 30%...... and he said he was leading the polls.... now on the surface that is true.... but if you notice those total 125%..... so what is wrong?? The poll is a favorability poll..... which means.... he was winning the Latino poll with 34% favorability.... in other words.... 66% of Latino voters see Trump as unfavorable.

Edited by RogerFromOhio
  • Love 4

Even though they now have 156 co-hosts, they didn't find an adequate replacement for Rosie P. And her statistics. That woman could stutter thru her blue cards of statistics like no buddy's business. She would have corrected the Donald!

• Love 5

ABC's gotta love it!  This article sums it up today's crapfest pretty well:  https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/views-panel-day-3-trump-180207809.html

From the article:  And let’s just say if you’re not a fan of the The View‘s standard-operating cross-talk and interruptions, the problem only gets exacerbated when the interview subject is on the phone, and no one can rely on visual cues to figure out when it’s time to toss out another question.

And this: Whoopi made the transition to discussing actress Alyssa Milano’s stance on breast feeding all the more awkward by misidentifying her as “Melissa” — though she did appear to have food in her mouth at the time, which may not have helped her enunciation.

Did someone here write the article???

• Love 10

Speaking of Rosie P's note card....Raven seemed to inherit that crutch.

It was hilarious today when Raven quoted from hers today and was challenged. Her mouth dropped open and she kept tapping the card with her finger as if - but, but, but is says that right here!

At 30 one might think she should have learned by now that because it is printed/said does not mean it is correct.

So Raven is 30 and Michelle 34. These women could not be more shallow and irrelevant. It is sad because imo they won't be pulling in a young audience and neither are critical thinkers - and there are plenty of interesting choices for the young members of the panel yet the PTB chose them!

• Love 11

I heard it.... I was gonna comment on it.... but then thought I heard wrong and would have embarrassed myself..... I guess I give them too much credit

Oh... one other thing that I caught but the ladies of The View didnt..... Trump said he was winning the Latino polls..... he even gave that information to the media at one of his events...... the poll showed Trump leading with 34%..... 2nd was 31%... and 2 others were 30%...... and he said he was leading the polls.... now on the surface that is true.... but if you notice those total 125%..... so what is wrong?? The poll is a favorability poll..... which means.... he was winning the Latino poll with 34% favorability.... in other words.... 66% of Latino voters see Trump as unfavorable.

That is what Trump does.  He really is a master liar, exaggerator, bragger…..and he sells it and will repeat it until you almost believe him.  It's pretty well documented that most of what he says is fiction and delusion.   

• Love 10

That is what Trump does.  He really is a master liar, exaggerator, bragger…..and he sells it and will repeat it until you almost believe him.  It's pretty well documented that most of what he says is fiction and delusion.

TRUE, TRUE, TRUE. The public's fascination with him fascinates me! He is striking a nerve with many people, but in the voting booth would most Americansreally want this pompous, inelegant, bombastic egomaniac to represent America?

• Love 4

TRUE, TRUE, TRUE. The public's fascination with him fascinates me! He is striking a nerve with many people, but in the voting booth would most Americansreally want this pompous, inelegant, bombastic egomaniac to represent America?

I dont think so either.... he might be leading in the polls.... Id really like to see what the questions are..... but polls mean nothing.... no one has voted for him yet.

• Love 2

Trump is nothing more than a slogan.  It's all sound bites.  And unfortunately that is the age we live in.  It's all about capturing people's increasingly short attention spans.  My question is who is being polled?  Registered voters or just random people?  It's easy to drum up support among people who already feel disenfranchised for whatever reason if you are telling them simply what they want to hear.  The hard part is actually putting forth ideas to help these people.  Trump will continue to get the press till the actual primary voting begins then we will see if his supporters are for real or just all smoke and mirrors.

• Love 6

I can't believe Candace has been on the show a total of 15 minutes, and she's already playing the victim card and positioning herself as Polly Pureheart, oppressed by those horrible big-city liberals because of her sincerely held, in-touch-with-the-real-America wholesome conservative beliefs.

If that's her one-trick pony shtick, it's gonna get old real fast.  Hell, it's old NOW.

She's a little long in the tooth to be a Foxbot, although she really doesn't look her age, so this may be her audition.  Roger Ailes, get ready for another one!

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 10

Finally! The Yahoo reporter calls Whoopi out on her gibberish:

Shall we review Whoopi’s wisdom? “This ride is gonna go on, OK? This presidency, it’s gonna change every day. It’ll be the white people, then it’ll be the black people, then it’ll be the Spanish people. And at one point, we’ll figure out who those nominees are gonna be. And then we can actually have the conversations we need to have.”

Umm, what?

Edited by Fatkat
  • Love 6

Finally! The Yahoo reporter calls Whoopi out on her gibberish:

Shall we review Whoopi’s wisdom? “This ride is gonna go on, OK? This presidency, it’s gonna change every day. It’ll be the white people, then it’ll be the black people, then it’ll be the Spanish people. And at one point, we’ll figure out who those nominees are gonna be. And then we can actually have the conversations we need to have.”

I love that whole mishmash, but my favorite bit is about "the Spanish people", who are always such a driving force in American politics.

• Love 4

Actually, if googled, the registered Hispanic votes do make an impact and make a difference although a large percentage are eligible and do not register compared to white and black voters.

The confusion comes from the use of the term Spanish People

• Love 3

The confusion comes from the use of the term Spanish People

Yes.  I live in California where Hispanic people (sometimes referred to as "Latino people" & "Spanish-speaking people") make up a large part of the population & a significant portion of the electorate.  Spanish people, on the other hand, are rarely found anywhere in the USA unless they're visiting & few of them are eligible to vote here.

• Love 7
So Raven is 30 and Michelle 34. These women could not be more shallow and irrelevant.

MaggieMae, this has to be the "ideal" the producers are looking for in viewers.  They keep dumbing down and giving us "fluff," expecting that all the young women will flock to their televisions for this program.  Ain't.  Gonna.  Happen.  (I'm just sayin'.....)    The last stuff was just to make people think I'm relevant.

• Love 8

There were a few photos of Raven in that article and your view applies to each of them! lol

What's sad for both Raven and me is, I really didn't notice her in any picture but the one where she looks like a penguin asking for Scottie to beam her up.

Edited by Bronzedog

I doubt the show would be cancelled. After another season or two of declining ratings, maybe. The article is right that changing co-hosts is one of the biggest things hurting it right now. They need to use the Fall to test everyone out together (who works, who doesn't, who has the best chemistry), then make a set group in the Spring that will stay the next couple of years with no changes. If they don't settle on an unchanging cast already, I can believe the show'll be in trouble. (My personal pick of all the options on the table would be Joy, Padma, Sherri*, Paula**. *Sorry, they need an African-American and I’ll take her over Raven… **I don’t think Nicolle would come back and Paula is definitely better than Candace. Maybe throw in Rosie as a co-host or mod depending.)

Once they get rid of Whoopi, that's one big paycheck they no longer have to pay. I imagine Raven, Michelle, Paula, and the contributors are all cheap. Joy could be getting a big salary, but she could've argued for "more control" probably as compensation for a salary that isn't quite what she deserves?

EDIT: Funny how the Candace article begins by describing her as “brave-hearted.” How does that relate to someone playing victim after only appearing on the show for 5 minutes?

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 2

Nice to see the entertainment news/tabs finally seeing what a lot of us here have been seeing for a looooong time.  I wonder if ROL's secret source is this forum, lol?  

On the thing about RO coming back, this is what they said, 

"Rosie O'Donnell WILL return as a guest, according to the source, if she has something to promote "against the objections that Whoopi has publicly made. Whoopi never should have told Entertainment Tonight Rosie wouldn't be coming back. Does she write the checks that keep the show going? No. By making such a big deal about it, Whoopi has all but guaranteed that Rosie will be back." 

Which makes sense.  ABC probably told her she could come and promote her project(s) if she wants to.  Personally, I think RO wouldn't want to and there really is no reason she should.  In fact every one of the "10 Reasons the Show is Worse Off Than Ever" ring true to me even though the "Viewers need stability and a rotating guest co-host just confuses the audience."  isn't even a little bit new. This show has been rotating co-hosts for years  YEARS.  

The story shouldn't be why The View is worse than ever; instead I think it should be Why Is this Show Still On? 

• Love 4

The Warren interview was a waste for many reasons. They didn't get a chance to talk about her excellent work setting up the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, for example. Classic View - just focus on the shiny objects.

• Love 3

Did anyone else catch Joy on WWHL last night?   She was letting it fly.   First she called RO the "Sarah Palin of The View" because she, "left in the middle of the job."  I guess that was supposed to be a joke but like so many of Joy's jokes, I  didn't think it was funny.  She said she knew it wouldn't work out.

Were you surprised when she [RO]left last year?" Cohen asked.

"This not the first time she's left. She's left before. She's like the Sarah Palin of television. She quits in the middle of her job!" Behar quipped. "But you know, she's so rich, and she's the first person to tell you, she don't care."

While producers may have seen an opportunity for higher ratings when O'Donnell signed on with the show for the second time in July 2014, Behar saw the foils in their plan.

"I know what a strong personality she has. I know what a strong personality Whoopi Goldberg has. I know what the producers were thinking, and I didn't think it would work out, and it didn't," Behar said of her fellow talk show host, who left the show again in February, citing personal reasons.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/joy-behar-compares-the-views-rosie-odonnell-to-sarah-palin-she-quits-in-the-middle-of-her-job/ar-AAenxLg

Then, she said the thing that annoyed her the most about working with Barbara Walters was Babs was constantly pimping her projects.    But she wouldn't admit who at the table she disliked the most over 16 years.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 7