Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E13: Withdrawal

• Start Topic

I just want to say that I love this show, I've been slowly binging on it for the last few months and I've finally caught up! Keep up the great work, really looking forward to new episodes! Though now it is rough to have to wait a week for new ones :D

• Love 2

I don't understand Kelly's frustration with Matt at the start of the Dylan storyline this episode. She is mad at him because ?? I mean, the charges against him are public, B&E and possession of heroin. Are we to believe, that only Matt and Gina knew Dylan was using? Is that why she is mad?

Re: the cold open slam into the inappropriate theme. LA Law solved this problem years ago. They had two openings to their theme: If the cold open was "wacky" then the theme started with the trunk slam scored to the saxophone toodleing intro, if the cold open was dramatic, the trunk slam was accompanied by a menacing low bass note.

• Love 4

It is kind of funny how no one on this show who had a drug problem remembers it enough to relate it back to this.

Also I love the trolling of the sad moment turning into the clap clap credits. That will never not be funny. At this point it’s obvious the people behind the scenes were making their own fun.

• Love 2

Is it normal for lawyers to offer their "word" in order to make a plea with the D.A.? Is that a thing? And didn't Jesse also make some cockamamie deal with the D.A.  the last time Dylan got in trouble, to which he also lamented that a future client wouldn't get a deal because he used up all the deals on Dylan.

1 hour ago, WhosThatGirl said:

It is kind of funny how no one on this show who had a drug problem remembers it enough to relate it back to this.

I said this before, I think after Donna's drug problem, but it would have been great if they had all expositional conversations take place at NA meetings.  Like, you see Kelly and David sitting at NA talking about some drama between Mel and Jackie.

Kelly is SUUUCH a bitch to Matt in this one, particularly in the first clip.  Why he is putting up this shit from a woman he's been dating, what, three months and just started sleeping with is beyond me.  And of course, because he's mostly in the right re: this Dylan situation, they immediately undercut him at the end with the reveal of his stupid secret wife.

Two notes for our fearless hosts about Bobbi, a.k.a. Gina Senior.  We do eventually see her on-screen, I think this season (I actually thought that whole thing with Gina and Felice a few weeks ago was setting up for that, but it's still to come, I guess).  And oooh boy, wait until you hear/see what the writers cook up involving her in season 10.

• Love 3

This whole Kelly keeping vigil at Dylan's bedside while dating someone else is a total retread of her fight with Val in Season 5 during the Dreams of Dylan McKay episode.  

Matt is a terrible lawyer.  This episode he would be disciplined for violating confidentiality with Kelly and Gina and accepting a plea deal for his literally comatose client.  

• Love 1

A small boutique being closed on Monday is a pretty common thing, but it’s more surprising if the rest of the mall is open. 

We’ll get a GH mini-reunion with Matt’s wife being played by Cari Shayne (GH’s Karen Wexler who was Brenda’s rival for Jagger). Somehow I never cared enough about the storyline to note this while actually watching the show.

Edited by MCMLXXVII
Jax and Jagger are separate soap opera names
  • Love 5

In a way it is good that the writers forgot that Kelly and Dylan have known each other since the sailboat and whatnot. I’m not sure any of us could bear if Kelly and Matt had gone to the playground to find Dylan (which they surely would have if the writers had known about it). 

Matt should break up with Kelly and go get drunk while smoking a million cigarettes. And about that: did he quit? Have we seen that or did the habit disappear with grandpa? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MCMLXXVII said:

A small boutique being closed on Monday is a pretty common thing, but it’s more surprising if the rest of the mall is open. 

It's funny the little things we get stuck on, but I had the same thought! When I worked at the mall as a teenager, I know for a fact that our store was fined every time it wasn't open during regular mall hours.

• Love 5

Because I don't feel like working, I looked up the birth years of Garth's kids: 1997, 2002, 2006. Seems like puffiness isn't pregnancy related. I think she was preggo and recovering during her "amnesia/just got shot" story line.
I also had that polo shirt thing that Gina is wearing in the hospital- expess... I thought I was so stylish back then.

• Love 1

We’ll get a GH mini-reunion with Matt’s wife being played by Cari Shayne (GH’s Karen Wexler who was Brenda’s rival for Jax). Somehow I never cared enough about the storyline to note this while actually watching the show.

I'm pretty sure Karen was gone by the time Jax came around. She and Brenda fought over Jagger (Antonio Sabato Jr.)

• Love 1

The writers really missed an opportunity here. Imagine if they would have killed off Dylan here with an overdose, they would have episodes worth of drama as everyone processes that, maybe Gina is pregnant and Kelly has to deal with Gina carrying Dylan’s legacy.. Guys, should I quit my job and go back in time and write for 90210?

• Love 8
21 hours ago, Nanna said:

Matt should break up with Kelly and go get drunk while smoking a million cigarettes. And about that: did he quit? Have we seen that or did the habit disappear with grandpa? 

Matt says something in the last Grandpa episode about having quit twelve hours ago.

• Love 1
On 10/22/2018 at 11:54 AM, ZeroDiscipline said:

Is it normal for lawyers to offer their "word" in order to make a plea with the D.A.? Is that a thing? And didn't Jesse also make some cockamamie deal with the D.A.  the last time Dylan got in trouble, to which he also lamented that a future client wouldn't get a deal because he used up all the deals on Dylan.

Yeah, I didn't get that shit at ALL. Matt promising that Dylan would never fuck up again, I can see that (surprise, surprise, white dude Dylan gets off with a stern warning not to do anything bad again or else then he'll be in trouble, as punishment for a crime that would probably have gotten a black man thrown in jail for years, at best). But "owning one" to the DA? The fuck? What can he even owe? How can he repay that? "Next time you have a client who may or may not deserve jail time, I get to throw the book at him and you have to accept it"? 

On the Jesse thing, Jesse didn't actually defend Dylan, I think he just offered Dylan some advice about pleading guilty or whatever, and I remember Jesse actually being happy for Dylan for whatever the outcome was of that situation. It was Steve that Jesse yelled at about not recognizing his white guy privilege, thought he also wasn't defending Steve and was upset that his Mexican client "be gone, he be outa here!" 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, atlanticslide said:

But "owning one" to the DA? The fuck? What can he even owe? How can he repay that? "Next time you have a client who may or may not deserve jail time, I get to throw the book at him and you have to accept it"? 

Yes, exactly this. Like, the DA is just itching to really punish someone but she can't because she promised Matt the mall lawyer! Until next time!  Thanks for clearing up the Jesse thing. These people know a lot of lawyers.

• Love 2
On 10/22/2018 at 8:08 AM, WhosThatGirl said:

I think there are fewer people on the show who haven't had a drug problem than who have. Steve, Janet, Matt and Gina and ... that's it? I think? And Matt and Gina just got here. 

Hahaha, Noah saying Donna is so amazing because of how she can "forgive and forget." Emphasis on the "forget," just like everyone in the writers room. 

• Love 3
On 10/26/2018 at 10:39 PM, Carmen MacCodykins said:

Jinx, SDB! After Noah says in the clip how he “dealt” with his drinking problem, I was screaming, “No, you didn’t!” at the same time. LOL those poor writers, not a single one of them even pretending to care anymore...

That actually made me want to scream too. Noah didn't deal with shit!

That whole scene was hilarious to me though. Dylan getting lectured by Noah, David, and Steve was pretty rich. As if any of those three idiots have any claim on the moral high ground. Steve was just charged for peddling bullshit pickup advice, Noah has a history of drunk driving incidents (we remember, even if the writers don't!) leading up to...uh, a couple weeks ago?, and David has never not been in some sort of financial, sexual, or drug-related fiasco entirely of his own creation. The writers have been doing Dylan ZERO favours this season so far, but watching Dylan essentially tell these losers to (justifiably) blow it out their ass was pretty great.

Also, this may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm kind of living for Gina. Maybe it's just that everyone else sucks at this point, but Vanessa Marcil is a pretty solid bitch, and I'm genuinely enjoying her screentime.

Edited by GrahamV
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, GrahamV said:

That actually made me want to scream too. Noah didn't deal with shit!

That whole scene was hilarious to me though. Dylan getting lectured by Noah, David, and Steve was pretty rich. As if any of those three idiots have any claim on the moral high ground. Steve was just charged for peddling bullshit pickup advice, Noah has a history of drunk driving incidents (we remember, even if the writers don't!) leading up to...uh, a couple weeks ago?, and David has never not been in some sort of financial, sexual, or drug-related fiasco entirely of his own creation. The writers have been doing Dylan ZERO favours this season so far, but watching Dylan essentially tell these losers to (justifiably) blow it out their ass was pretty great.

Also, this may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm kind of living for Gina. Maybe it's just that everyone else sucks at this point, but Vanessa Marcil is a pretty solid bitch, and I'm genuinely enjoying her screentime.

I didn’t like Gina because It seemed like her entire storyline was that she hated everyone for legitimately no reason ( except Kelly , who she had a reason to dislike .. as does everyone )... yet the one person who was Actually horrible to her ( Dylan ), she was obsessed with and did everything for him . And every episode was another fight about how she knew he didn’t love her or want to be with her , yet she took him back and it just kept going on repeat every single episode . At least Val was a more multi faceted villain and had more stuff going on than just pining over the same loser every day . She also stole from people and manipulated Everyone and everything lol  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I didn’t like Gina because It seemed like her entire storyline was that she hated everyone for legitimately no reason ( except Kelly , who she had a reason to dislike .. as does everyone )... yet the one person who was Actually horrible to her ( Dylan ), she was obsessed with and did everything for him . And every episode was another fight about how she knew he didn’t love her or want to be with her , yet she took him back and it just kept going on repeat every single episode . At least Val was a more multi faceted villain and had more stuff going on than just pining over the same loser every day . She also stole from people and manipulated Everyone and everything lol  

I'm sure Gina will wear out her welcome at some point (and probably soon), but for now she's one of the very few bright spots for me (relatively speaking of course). I think the thing that tends to doom all of these characters (tragically, even the great Val) is inconsistency and lack of plausible motivation. Sounds like Gina will be no exception.