Type keyword(s) to search

A Discovery Of Witches - General Discussion

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, Rahul said:

This show has had such a long break between seasons, and there still hasn't been any announcement when season 2 will air. I doubt I will have any idea what is going on when it returns either.

That is why I have gone ahead and listened to the audio book. I am no longer waiting for the next season. lol.

Ok, I read the book and understand far more of what is happening. I can only imagine what's on the cutting room floor because some of the stuff they left IN the show doesn't make sense without knowing stuff they left out.

Anyway, we'll see when the next season airs - I thought they'd already filmed (pre-Covid) so the delay doesn't make a whole lot of sense... Par for the course here, apparently.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, mledawn said:

Anyway, we'll see when the next season airs - I thought they'd already filmed (pre-Covid) so the delay doesn't make a whole lot of sense... Par for the course here, apparently.

It seems like some of the networks that would be airing new shows in the Summer has been holding on to them so that they have something new to air in the Fall. There are a few TV shows that seem to be very close to being ready that are being held back so that the Fall Schedule has something worth watching, Pandora, Blood & Treasure, The Outpost, and Archer. Sometimes they have purchased shows already shown in other countries or from streaming services that may not have been widely viewed, like Coroner (Canada), Dead Pixels (UK) and Swamp Thing (DC Universe Streaming). Expect to see lots of weird, unfamiliar content as all the networks scramble to fill their Fall programming time slots.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The first day of filming for Season 3 started Sept. 7th.

The Second Season will air in January 2021.

It's so weird to film season 3 before season 2 even airs! That won't give them many options to course-correct if season 2 doesn't go over well with fans. And considering there's already backlash about casting choices for season 2, that seems pretty risky. Good luck to them.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

That won't give them many options to course-correct if season 2 doesn't go over well with fans.

If people don't like what they see, they will decide if they want to continue watching. In general, I don't think course-correcting because of fan response is a good idea, since every fan will have a different opinion. The creators need to have the courage of their convictions with both the story and the casting.

• Love 3
On 9/30/2020 at 8:33 AM, AnimeMania said:

The Second Season will air in January 2021.

Season 2 will air in the UK in Jan '21. Still no word about the date of stateside broadcast (likely months later).

• Useful 1

Sky TV posted this teaser BTS video on their Facebook this morning: 

Edited: Guess the video was removed for some reason.

Edited by CAM
Video removed from Facebook.

I'm actually looking forward to the 2nd season. I did a rewatch of the first season in lockdown and whilst it did get very silly in places and cut out a lot of the titbits from the book I most liked, I enjoyed it for what it was. 

I will be really interested to see how they handle the several parallel stories and timelines taking place. I'm also looking forward to seeing what James Purfoy does as Phillipe, that should be interesting and also Gallowglass and Phoebe. 

A Discovery of Witches Season 2 Gets Premiere Date, 'Power'-ful Trailer

It was revealed that the new episodes will land in the UK on Sky One on Friday, Jan. 8, 2021. TVLine can confirm that Season 2 will premiere in the US, the next day, on Saturday, Jan. 9, on Sundance Now and Shudder. New episodes will arrive weekly. Sundance Now and Shudder are both paid streaming services, it might be a good idea to wait until all the episode air if you want to take advantage of the free limited subscriptions each streaming service offers. Season 2 is 10 episodes and Season 3 is currently being filmed. Shudder and Sundance Now is owned by  AMC Networks. A Discovery of Witches was aired on BBC America and AMC, much later. There is no word yet on if Season 2 will air on AMC and BBCA or how long that might take.

In the US, Season 1 aired on Shudder and Sundance Now on Jan. 17, 2019 and aired on April 7, 2019 on AMC and BBC America. 

So I've started watching S2 and I'm enjoying it but I can't really get into Matthew/Diana this season. I love the setting and the costumes are amazing but the interplay between them comes off as dull in a way it didn't last season, even if it didn't set the world on fire. I like both actors individually.  

Spoiler

I'd watch her with Goody Allsop all day though. I'm glad Aisling Loftus is pulling double duty as Mistress Norman. I'm on episode 4 and I'm much more interested in watching Marcus/Pheobe flirt, watch Ysabel, Sarah and Emily spar, Domenico fail to intimidate anyone and what it means for Sophie/Nate/Agatha when the baby is born than anything else. 

• Love 1

I liked season 2 well enough as a period costume drama. Teresa Palmer and Matthew Good have good chemistry, and for the romance nonsense like this show that's all that matters. Diana's wardrobe is its own character, for sure.

Spoiler

Everything else regarding the overarching plot with the Book of Life is really silly and ultimately went nowhere in to be continued in season 3 fashion. Well, at least Matt and Diana are finally married and expecting, I guess? No more Matthew's drunk rage bloodlust and partying with his drunktard crazy friends.

I also enjoyed Matthew's parents and their connection across centuries, this was very well done. James Purefoy was great as Philippe, I thought, acting-wise.

The third romantic story, the one between Marcus and Phoebe, is a complete slog. The actor who plays Marcus is so unfortunate looking, I can't take him seriously as this mysterious vampire that can charm anyone at all, not to mention make a girl fall in love with him to the point she wants to snoop around his house for information after one night of passion. This show has huge issues with the vampires casting in general (Isabeau and Philippe being played by older and average looking actors compared to their book counterparts, for example, but that at least makes some sense), but in Marcus's case it's even more egregious. It's baffling how only two vampires from the show could be considered beautiful (Myriam and Dominico, imo), yet both of them are tertiary characters with barely a couple words across ten episodes.

Diana's aunts storyline is completely superficial in s2. They have nothing to do, and in the end they became victims of their own stupidity, not tragic circumstances.

The serial vampire killer storyline will be revealed in s3 but thankfully I've read spoilers for the book three, and the writers set up this quite nicely this season. Unlike Diana's father appearing in the past. That was a complete non-event for the characters, and it was so out-of-the-blue moment, I had to laugh.

• Love 1

So I'm here in the States and only getting 1 episode a week (I couldn't wait until June for it to air on TV).

So on the first view of Episode 1 loved it. I've read the books so I am familiar with the correct order of events, I suppose time will tell if the adjusted order works or not.

A lot happened and a lot was introduced in this episode 

Spoiler

Jack, Matthew and his job as a spy, Mistress Norman and her connection to Sophie. 

After the second view I feel like there may have been a bit too much time spent with Kit and not enough on other characters.

• Love 1

I am only getting an episode at a time, so I am going to have to avoid spoilers, although in the time between seasons I did read the first book and they are quite good. In retrospect, while I still like the first season I can see some of the issues in adaptation, especially the snails pacing and them taking forever to explain the basic rules of this world. Hopefully this season kicks it up a notch, and we are off to a good start with Matthew and Diana in the past. No matter what century she's in, Diana will always look fabulous. 

Oh boy, now that we're in the past, Matthew is going to be even more broody isnt he? 

• Love 1

I binged the first season recently and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though it felt quite rushed. It left me wanting to know more, especially about the different powers of creatures. Demons seemed like nice normal humans to me. I 100 percent thought they had sex last season, and was surprised to hear Matthew say they couldn’t consummate their union in season 2. I think the lack of clarity was because of the rushing. 

But I do enjoy the two leads a lot. Teresa looks so much like a young Robin Wright that I find her face captivating. And her accent issues seem less pronounced in season 2 (in season 1 she almost veered into a southern twang at times and often seemed to be focusing on the accent to the detriment of her acting). I’m not quite done with Season 2 but I have started the books and enjoy how much I’ve learned about demons already! 

• Love 1

I marathoned season 1 leading up to season 2 being available here in the States. 

I do like figuring out the rules and lore in supernatural shows. I really liked the world building in DoW. I loathe Teresa Palmer as Diana. She is a dishrag heroine with no agency. My roommate read the books and has told me the character is totally different. The actress who plays Satu would have been awesome as Diana in my opinion. The dialogue and story beats are odd as well which is probably due to condensing and adapting the book.

Season 2 so far is not as enjoyable as 1. I do love the costumes. But between the mumble dialogue and poor lighting, I spend most of my time wondering who characters are and why I should care. I really hope things pick up later in the season!

• Love 1

First just some general observations:

I like Tereasa visually as Diana, but sometimes I feel like her delivery and facial expressions are flat and one note (some of that can be blamed on the writing and some blamed on her attempt and speaking with an American accent).

Another thought is that with this show, at least to me, it is noticable that there is a lot that happens off camera that is somewhat referenced or implied to on camera, which can throw viewers off track and can result in fans creating headcanon scenes to explain the gap/missing scenes. 

Thoughts on Episode 2:

I felt like this episode had a lot of scenes that could have been omitted (a good number of these involved Kit) and replaced with different scenes that built on plot related things (Diana's Magic/the Boodk) and other relationships (Jack, Pierre,  Francoise, Walter, and Hal). 

Spoiler

Liked the inclusion of Mary S (although I have a feeling that her presence may end up being somewhat unnecessary)

Liked that the egg and bowl test was included, even though it was vastly different in the book.

Farther Hubbard gave off a Rasputin vibe. Not sure how I feel about introducing him so early.

Edited by CAM
To add thoughts on Episode 2.
  • Love 1

There's hardly any traffic on this forum - is anyone watching Season 2 that debuted on AMC this past week?

I watched E1/S2 (after having re-binged on Season 1) and I'm enjoying it so far. I have to say though that I prefer the action being in present day. Sure, the costumes and sets in ye olde england are amazing, but the lighting is dark and I feel like I get into the story more when it's modern times.

However, perhaps timewalking back into time will shed light on information that will be quite helpful to understand where things stand in modern times.

Big fan of Matthew Goode here - have been for years. So I'll keep watching. 

Edited by hookedontv
  • Love 1

Yeah, this forum has always been a bit on the quieter side.

I have a feeling that the airing of Episode 1 of Season 2 was just a way to entice viewers to watch it on the streaming platforms. My channel guide makes no mention of the show over the next 2 weeks.  I did enjoy the special bonus stuff that was shown during the re-airing of Season 1.

Now for my thoughts on Episode 3:

Spoiler

Nice that they are introducing the murders.

Loved the bits with Jack.

Liked the inclusion of Mary A and her Lab and her providing Diana with the Court Dress (loved the hairpiece and the matching neck ruff thing)

The pub scene was fun and showed a different side to Matthew.

The Rowan tree was a nice surprise.

Wish we had more scene with Gallowglass, another case of stuff happening of camera that is somewhat referenced on camera.

16 hours ago, CAM said:

Yeah, this forum has always been a bit on the quieter side.

I've been reluctant to come here since it's a single thread, and any UK posts might include spoilers since they're 2 weeks ahead of us.  It's an awkward situation. 

• Love 1

It feels like it's been a while since I read the books but isn't Gallowglass supposed to be massive? I like the actor who has been cast, but that seems an odd characteristic to ignore for some reason.

Spoiler

I agree there wasn't enough of him this season so his closeness with Matthew (and Diana in particular) didn't 

Kit is really annoying, which fits. Phoebe was well cast, also.

I enjoyed Matthew Goode doing better with the facial expressions, as his S1 blood rage-ish face was distracting. He was better in S2 all around.

I found the modern storyline held my interest much less than the historical plot.

S2 was released in its entirety in the UK so it's not just 2 weeks ahead, unfortunately.

Edited by mledawn
Add S2 Spoilers
18 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I've been reluctant to come here since it's a single thread, and any UK posts might include spoilers since they're 2 weeks ahead of us.  It's an awkward situation. 

Thankfully the UK posters who binged all 10 episodes tend to be good about keeping their observations general and/or in a spoiler tag.

Thought on Episode 4:

Spoiler

More bodies turning up with Dominico investigating was nice.

Was surprised that they changed so much about the auction house scene. I kind of missed Marcus buying the miniatures straight away showed the power the de' Cleremont name in not only the Creature World, but the human one as well.

Marcus and Phoebe have decent chemistry (would have liked a few more dates before she learned about the Creature World)

Was surprised that we didn't see Satu, since they showed her a earlier.

• Love 1

Well, now I'm really confused.  Apparently it debuted on their new premium service, AMC+, one day after the UK debut, with the 2 week delay for an appearance on plain old don't-have-to-pay-extra AMC.  However, after airing the S2 premier last week, it's not on the AMC schedule AT ALL.  So it seems it was just a teaser for us poor peons.  Fuckers. 

I do not find this show anywhere interesting enough to pay out for yet another streaming service. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Well, now I'm really confused.  Apparently it debuted on their new premium service, AMC+, one day after the UK debut, with the 2 week delay for an appearance on plain old don't-have-to-pay-extra AMC.  However, after airing the S2 premier last week, it's not on the AMC schedule AT ALL.  So it seems it was just a teaser for us poor peons.  Fuckers. 

I do not find this show anywhere interesting enough to pay out for yet another streaming service. 

Yeah I noticed that myself, last Sunday; I get what AMC was trying to do, but at the same time airing the first episode was a bit annoying. (there is a limit to the number of streaming services people are willing to pay for.)

I saw an article awhile back that Season 2 should air on TV in June.

• Love 1

I happened to DVR Season 1 from AMC.  I just got around to watching it.  I've never heard of the books.  I started watching this week (snowed in) and I enjoyed it.  I didn't recognize Matthew Goode from Downton Abbey.  These are my thoughts.

If I read the books I'd picture Matthew more imposing.  I've read Nancy Warren's Vampire Knitting Club and the head vampire Rafe is supposed to be extremely good looking and imposing.  In fact I found a couple of similarities between Matthew and Rafe.  That being said I thought Matthew was very possessive and controlling and reminded me of Edward in Twilight (I only read the books).  I would feel smothered if I was in a relationship with him.

As far as Diana...eh... I have nothing to compare her to though.  I don't see much chemistry with Matthew though.

As far as the rest of the Congregation I find them all interesting in their own way.. Juliette is beautiful and I like Satu.  I guess it's good that I hadn't read the book so as I said before I have nothing to compare them to.  At one point Matthew called Marcus "son".  Is he his son?

From other vampire stuff I've seen and read I would think all the vampires are young looking.  I was shocked to see Matthew's mom to be older and also Marthe and Gerbert.  Now that I've read the forum I see that I am right.

So I did watch Season 2, Episode 1.  This led me to subscribe to Shudder so I can see the next 5 episodes.  I'm not going to rush through them though.

It also led me to order Book 1 from Amazon.

7 hours ago, NYGirl said:

I happened to DVR Season 1 from AMC.  I just got around to watching it.  I've never heard of the books.  I started watching this week (snowed in) and I enjoyed it.  I didn't recognize Matthew Goode from Downton Abbey.  These are my thoughts.

If I read the books I'd picture Matthew more imposing.  I've read Nancy Warren's Vampire Knitting Club and the head vampire Rafe is supposed to be extremely good looking and imposing.  In fact I found a couple of similarities between Matthew and Rafe.  That being said I thought Matthew was very possessive and controlling and reminded me of Edward in Twilight (I only read the books).  I would feel smothered if I was in a relationship with him.

As far as Diana...eh... I have nothing to compare her to though.  I don't see much chemistry with Matthew though.

As far as the rest of the Congregation I find them all interesting in their own way.. Juliette is beautiful and I like Satu.  I guess it's good that I hadn't read the book so as I said before I have nothing to compare them to.  At one point Matthew called Marcus "son".  Is he his son?

From other vampire stuff I've seen and read I would think all the vampires are young looking.  I was shocked to see Matthew's mom to be older and also Marthe and Gerbert.  Now that I've read the forum I see that I am right.

So I did watch Season 2, Episode 1.  This led me to subscribe to Shudder so I can see the next 5 episodes.  I'm not going to rush through them though.

Welcome.

I too found the books after finding the show, back in 2019 and started reading them as a way to fill in the gaps that I felt the show was leaving out.

Marcus is Matthew's Son (Book one and Book 4: The Times Convert goes into more detail about their relationship) The TV audience learns about this conection during the scene in the Lab between Marcus and Baldwin...the show never delves into the details of the relationship on screen.

As for Matthew's Mother, if you look through this forum and other places, you will find that there were a lot of fans who did not like the casting choice for her, thinking that the actress was too old for the role when compared to the book description. But once you read the book(s) you'll be able to judge for yourself.

• Love 2
On 1/28/2021 at 10:50 AM, hookedontv said:

There's hardly any traffic on this forum - is anyone watching Season 2 that debuted on AMC this past week?

I watched E1/S2 (after having re-binged on Season 1) and I'm enjoying it so far. I have to say though that I prefer the action being in present day. Sure, the costumes and sets in ye olde england are amazing, but the lighting is dark and I feel like I get into the story more when it's modern times.

However, perhaps timewalking back into time will shed light on information that will be quite helpful to understand where things stand in modern times.

Big fan of Matthew Goode here - have been for years. So I'll keep watching. 

For me?  The casting is so outrageous and different from the books (which I really loved) that actually PAYING to see this show holds no urgency for me.  

I'm seriously disappointed in many of the casting decisions which completely change the entire tone of the books and upcoming stories.

Will I pay eventually?  Maybe.

On 1/30/2021 at 4:18 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

People are being kind about spoilers, but I agree, a single forum doesn't work that well for this one, partially because many of us HAVE read the books, and could fill things in, but?  Not only shouldn't we have to, it's tough to know when exactly that is important.

On 1/30/2021 at 9:31 PM, mledawn said:

It feels like it's been a while since I read the books but isn't Gallowglass supposed to be massive? I like the actor who has been cast, but that seems an odd characteristic to ignore for some reason.

Reveal spoiler

I agree there wasn't enough of him this season so his closeness with Matthew (and Diana in particular) didn't 

Kit is really annoying, which fits. Phoebe was well cast, also.

I enjoyed Matthew Goode doing better with the facial expressions, as his S1 blood rage-ish face was distracting. He was better in S2 all around.

I found the modern storyline held my interest much less than the historical plot.

S2 was released in its entirety in the UK so it's not just 2 weeks ahead, unfortunately.

Yes, Gallowglass is huge, not 5'7", also one of my favorite characters from the book.  Honestly, the casting for him, and especially for Phillipe and Ysabeau is one of the main reasons I am passing on the show version for now.

On 1/31/2021 at 6:01 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

That's my thing as well.  I was pretty infuriated by the first season, I am well aware these are adaptions, but at least get the damn cast right, and the scenes they focus on, to me, are not the meat or the beauty of the books.

On 2/3/2021 at 1:48 PM, NYGirl said:

Exactly.

I agree with all of this, except, though I like Mathew Goode?  I honestly don't think either of the leads were good choices for this tale.

Enjoy the books!  I really loved them, and the nuance and complicated relationships and stories certainly didn't come through in the first season, so I don't have high hopes for the rest.

On 2/3/2021 at 9:29 PM, CAM said:

Welcome.

I too found the books after finding the show, back in 2019 and started reading them as a way to fill in the gaps that I felt the show was leaving out.

Marcus is Matthew's Son (Book one and Book 4: The Times Convert goes into more detail about their relationship) The TV audience learns about this conection during the scene in the Lab between Marcus and Baldwin...the show never delves into the details of the relationship on screen.

As for Matthew's Mother, if you look through this forum and other places, you will find that there were a lot of fans who did not like the casting choice for her, thinking that the actress was too old for the role when compared to the book description. But once you read the book(s) you'll be able to judge for yourself.

I thought casting an old woman who couldn't even sing the most infuriating thing of all.  ESPECIALLY since the interactions with the young movie star stunner Ysabeau and her incredibly handsome and fit Greek God husband play heavily into some of the most important future stories.

Then they cast some short dude as Gallowglass, and all hope was gone.

---

I've seen great adaptions, good adaptions, and poor adaptions of books to film, and I do appreciate the challenges involved.  When the scope of the novels is huge, I "get" that is even more difficult.  

First season blew, although some of the supporting cast was good.  However, the choices they made there impact ALL OF THE REST OF THE STORY, and not in good ways.  

It's unfixable.

• Love 3

I am an avid reader.  I always look forward to seeing the movie and/or program about a book I've read.  I can't remember the adaptation being  similar to the book other than a good percentage of the Harry Potter movies.  This is why I either avoid or I take with a grain of salt when I watch it.  I was so pissed at the casting  of Tom Hanks in the DaVinci Code that I refused to see the movie.

I guess there's a benefit to my watching the show before reading the books.  At first I made a mistake and ordered the kindle version and then I realized my mistake and ordered the trilogy in paperback.  I'm already halfway through Book 1 and I'm enjoying the filling in of the plot, however, I'm picturing the characters as I see them in the show...not as were described in the book. It makes me less angry this way.

I'm up to date on Shudder and one episode drops each week.   The next one will be Season 2, Episode 6.  The only problem I have is that Shudder is a channel on my cable services but it's an App, sort of like Netflix.  When I watch a foreign show I need closed captioning to understand what they are saying.  I need to be immersed.  Well...on Shudder the cc box covers the whole screen!!  So it's a matter of seeing and not hearing well or hearing well and not seeing.   Grrrr.  I've worked with my cable company and Shudder directly and nobody claims responsibility and I'm spinning my wheels.   I can't watch Shudder on my laptop which would be ideal, since purchasing the channel on cable is different than purchasing the streaming app.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

For me?  The casting is so outrageous and different from the books (which I really loved) that actually PAYING to see this show holds no urgency for me.  

I'm seriously disappointed in many of the casting decisions which completely change the entire tone of the books and upcoming stories.

Will I pay eventually?  Maybe.

Apparently this is why I can't find the series -- they showed Episode One on AMC so I watched that, but after that, I couldn't find it anymore. I'm not paying for it either!! Mystery solved. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

Apparently this is why I can't find the series -- they showed Episode One on AMC so I watched that, but after that, I couldn't find it anymore. I'm not paying for it either!! Mystery solved. 

It's really a pity, this could have been SO SO SO good.  

If you are a reader?  I recommend the books, she really carried this away into new worlds quite well.  Humor, tension, romance, history (my favorite part) and incredibly well defined characters.

27 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

I am an avid reader.  I always look forward to seeing the movie and/or program about a book I've read.  I can't remember the adaptation being  similar to the book other than a good percentage of the Harry Potter movies.  This is why I either avoid or I take with a grain of salt when I watch it.  I was so pissed at the casting  of Tom Hanks in the DaVinci Code that I refused to see the movie.

I guess there's a benefit to my watching the show before reading the books.  At first I made a mistake and ordered the kindle version and then I realized my mistake and ordered the trilogy in paperback.  I'm already halfway through Book 1 and I'm enjoying the filling in of the plot, however, I'm picturing the characters as I see them in the show...not as were described in the book. It makes me less angry this way.

I'm up to date on Shudder and one episode drops each week.   The next one will be Season 2, Episode 6.  The only problem I have is that Shudder is a channel on my cable services but it's an App, sort of like Netflix.  When I watch a foreign show I need closed captioning to understand what they are saying.  I need to be immersed.  Well...on Shudder the cc box covers the whole screen!!  So it's a matter of seeing and not hearing well or hearing well and not seeing.   Grrrr.  I've worked with my cable company and Shudder directly and nobody claims responsibility and I'm spinning my wheels.   I can't watch Shudder on my laptop which would be ideal, since purchasing the channel on cable is different than purchasing the streaming app.

Enjoy.  I doubt you will be able to continue to picture the characters cast to the characters in the books, because honestly, in several cases, their physicality does define them in ways that matter.

Also, so many of the changes in the first season were completely idiotic, and would have taken less time, and had more impact if they'd just followed the story in the books.

Of course things needed to be cut out, what they didn't need was to gut the most important things in the tale, because the whole thing falls apart without the bones.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Umbelina said:

Also, so many of the changes in the first season were completely idiotic, and would have taken less time, and had more impact if they'd just followed the story in the books.

Of course things needed to be cut out, what they didn't need was to gut the most important things in the tale, because the whole thing falls apart without the bones.

Agree with this, that's why I started reading the books because I felt like really important bits of information had been left out. And this is still the case in Season 2.

So thoughts on episode 5:

Spoiler

Hello Gallowglass, by Gallowglass see you in Prague 

They sure spent a lot of time covering the trip to sept-tours

Would it have killed the writers to put a quote in oh say episode 1 that told/reinforced that Matthew and Diana are still bundling. 

While I can except James Purefoy as Philippe I did feel that he was missing a certain gravitas or something.

If they were going to eliminate the need for Diana to be the Lady of the Keep, then why even bother to have Philippe attempt to give her the keys.

During the scene between Matthew and Diana i wish they had included a different set of Matthew's line(s) from the book that went something like..."being matted to a vampire is no less confining that being spellbound...you are truely free for the first time..." 

I was surprised that they waited so long for Philippe to see the ring and that they don't have him realize that he's dead in the future.

Season 3 wrapped up filming this week, so I guess that means in about a year we will get Season 3.

• Love 2

I just remember a few other thoughts that I had for episode 5:

Spoiler

I was surprised that they had Diana actually fall off the horse and that it took Matthew a few beats before he realized what happened.

Unless I missed it, I don't think that ever happened the book,  plus I don't care how distracted or preoccupied Book Matthew was, he would never had allowed that to happen, he would have sensed it before it happened. But I guess that is one of those things that got edited out (Matthew being attuned to Diana)

Did anyone else notice that the blue lace top Yseabeau was wearing in episode 4 (Season 2) looks alot like the top she was wearing in Season 1 episode 5.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, CAM said:

Hide contents

I was surprised that they had Diana actually fall off the horse and that it took Matthew a few beats before he realized what happened.

Unless I missed it, I don't think that ever happened the book,  plus I don't care how distracted or preoccupied Book Matthew was, he would never had allowed that to happen, he would have sensed it before it happened. But I guess that is one of those things that got edited out (Matthew being attuned to Diana)

Did anyone else notice that the blue lace top Yseabeau was wearing in episode 4 (Season 2) looks alot like the top she was wearing in Season 1 episode 5.

Re the spoiler, no

Spoiler

she would never fall,

it's a place where she used her witch skills.

I just really want this show to be better than it actually is. There are a lot of aspects of the show that I like, including the atmosphere and most of the cast, but I just so badly want this to be better. It did turn me onto the books, which I read and really liked, so I do appreciate it for that if nothing else. Reading the books really explains a lot of things that I found really confusing while watching the show, and made me appreciate the books more, but feel sadder about the show. I think this could be a good adaptation, and I like this season being set mostly in the past which gave it more flavor, but the show leaves so much unexplained for no reason and takes out so much out of the books that makes them likable. 

I mean, you kind of have to go see John Dee if your doing magic stuff in Elizabethan London. If your not, why even bother with the trip? 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I just really want this show to be better than it actually is. There are a lot of aspects of the show that I like, including the atmosphere and most of the cast, but I just so badly want this to be better. It did turn me onto the books, which I read and really liked, so I do appreciate it for that if nothing else. Reading the books really explains a lot of things that I found really confusing while watching the show, and made me appreciate the books more, but feel sadder about the show. I think this could be a good adaptation, and I like this season being set mostly in the past which gave it more flavor, but the show leaves so much unexplained for no reason and takes out so much out of the books that makes them likable. 

I mean, you kind of have to go see John Dee if your doing magic stuff in Elizabethan London. If your not, why even bother with the trip? 

That's kind of how I feel.  

The show mostly makes me sad.  It's just such a bad adaptation, strange casting, so much of the mystery exposed, but not in an interesting way, AND it just leaves out so much of the humor and passion/worry/effort of these characters.

It's almost astonishing to me how messed up this adaption has been.

• Love 2

I just checked.  Ysabeau, who is supposed to look younger than Diana, and be twice as beautiful?  The actress playing her was born in 1950.  Phillipe who is supposed to look around 30, a golden Greek God, more handsome and much more fit that Michael?  Is 57 this year.

The casting agent obviously had no clue Vampires do not age, and presumably they will skip the entire (important) sequence when Phillipe and Ysabeau meet, since it would be utterly ridiculous.

On 2/11/2021 at 9:06 PM, CAM said:

Hide contents

I was more surprised at

Spoiler

Them sayin that it’s so hard to ride side saddle for this long when she was straddling her horse all the time.   I’m actually rewatching s2 right now and I specifically paid attention, cause the first time I was puzzled at the side saddle comment.   when they ride away off the shore, it actually looks like she’s wearing leather pants. Later she’s just riding straight in her skirt. Only after their stay in the barn and after the side saddle comment she is seen actually riding side saddle. 

I’m probably one of the few readers who don’t care much about casting. I honestly don’t  remember really imagining  characters’ looks when I read. It’s hard to explain. Yes there’s a description. Yes sometimes it’s part of the story. But as soon as that part of the story is over i completely forget that someone is super young and beautiful and someone is a humongous human being. 
I do love characters. Would take a character driven book/movie/show over plot driven any day. So when they cut out that part I’m more upset. (Still can’t forgive what they did to camerlengio in Angels & Demons. He was my fav character)

i do understand that it’s hard to fit 600 pages into a show. I’m a bit sad they omitted the part with 

Spoiler

Engraving at the end. I liked that little history hooliganism lol

Edited by vavera4ka

I haven't had the opportunity to watch episode 6 yet...due to the winter storm that hit Texas...no power for around 38 hours and no time frame for restoration (which for us is a long time)...so in other news they have started announcing the cast for Season 3, so far they have named Jack and Fernando.

Would share the links but Facebook wants to be weird.

Edited by CAM
Typo
18 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

I honestly don’t  remember really imagining  characters’ looks when I read. It’s hard to explain. Yes there’s a description. Yes sometimes it’s part of the story. But as soon as that part of the story is over i completely forget that someone is super young and beautiful and someone is a humongous human being. 
I do love characters. Would take a character driven book/movie/show over plot driven any day.

Generally I agree with you.  However, SEVERAL plot points are directly connected to the looks of some of these characters, along with some of the most critical, or charming, or meaningful parts of the plot.

For example, the entire existence of the relationship between

Spoiler

Philippe and Ysabeau, a charming scene in the restaurant where Ysabeau imperiously demands they make way for her pregnant daughter in law, and Gallowglass using his sheer size in several instances, including at the palace, and when Diana is without Mathew and very pregnant, AND to stop a sure death at the college in New Hampshire between Father Hubbard and Jack.  I could go on.

In this case, looks speak specifically to both plot and cannon of the show, especially with Ysabeau and Phillipe.  

Frankly I also will miss more frivolous things, like the mini skirt, books, and tiny size of the one who wears the "Stand Back!" t shirts.

Honestly, I had forgotten completely what Phillipe was supposed to look like 2 seconds after reading it, and it never even mattered after that for the plot.  I actually always pictured him completely differently than described.  And I don't think it matters that much with these characters for plot purposes.  Yes, there are charming MOMENTS and yes there are details that I remember fondly that have reference to the stature and presence of characters, but that doesn't mean the plot depends on it.  I don't think it's that big of a deal, beyond Gallowglass being physically imposing, which he is (just not in as obvious a way).

• Like 1
23 hours ago, ouinason said:

Honestly, I had forgotten completely what Phillipe was supposed to look like 2 seconds after reading it, and it never even mattered after that for the plot.  I actually always pictured him completely differently than described.  And I don't think it matters that much with these characters for plot purposes.  Yes, there are charming MOMENTS and yes there are details that I remember fondly that have reference to the stature and presence of characters, but that doesn't mean the plot depends on it.  I don't think it's that big of a deal, beyond Gallowglass being physically imposing, which he is (just not in as obvious a way).

With Philippe and Ysabeau, their looks most definitely impact their story.  Her rescue, his relationship with

Spoiler

Athena, his life as a young God, his experience in the prison camps, his rescue of the young, raped, tortured, young Ysabeau, which also connects with Gilbert, etc.

I will also miss the hilarious restaurant scene with Ysabeau and Diana, and of course, was extremely sad about the botched Diana crying on the tower scene when Ysabeau's beautiful voice saves her.

Also, VAMPIRES DO NOT AGE.  At all.

That said, I'm thrilled that you like it, I'm glad someone does!

Edited by Umbelina

Wow..Episode 7 was very intense!  I'm really enjoying this series.  I wish I could cc it.  Matthew seems to mutter when he speaks..  

I like Gallowglass and I liked Phillippe...such a handsome man.

I'm wondering what Benjamin has planned now and who he is.

• Like 1