Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E10: Marathon Man

• Start Topic

Wait--wait--not only did Noah (or whomever) schedule the dance marathon on the eve of Donna's birthday, but coincidentally CHRISTMAS EVE?!!? Was this a Jewish fundraiser? Who is going to a dance marathon on Christmas Eve?

• Love 6

This also seems like this really is the point where the writers don’t care about anything. They really didn’t. At least from the clips I’ve heard. Dylan didn’t even seem like himself, that Brandon type line is something Dylan would never say in the past.

Also Matt.. should run away. Why does he want to date Kelly so bad? She’s really mean to him. (Not that she isn’t to anybody) but she like hates his career and is always mad about it and she’s off running to Mexico with her ex. Run. Run away.

As much as I don’t like Gina she seems kind of fun in this episode. Anybody who calls out kelly gets points. She loses them just as quickly though. Obviously Gina is just a Val redux but she’s not as fun as Val(Val come back!!!)

• Love 1

Actually Gina's obsessed with Kelly through 99% of her episodes, it's exhausting.

Gina has even less of a reason to want to hang around or be pals with any of these dummies than Val did. I don't know why she just didn't leave.

• Love 1

Yeah all Gina did was hate every one of those people. She even hated Dylan when she wasn't obsessed with him. Why would she stick around? She has no connection to them and Dylan passed her over for pretty much.. anything all. the. time.  I didn't buy that she went from being the biggest bitch ever for no reason to being such a nice, caring person at the end of her run.

The GIF of the surprise party reveal left me with this question - have we, to this point, seen Janet interact one-on-one with Donna, or Kelly, or anyone else in The Gang?  And, I mean, she's not even Steve's girlfriend, they just work together.  Why is she being forced to participate in Gang events?  Love yourself, Janet!

Edited by TeeVee329
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

At least when her hatred of Val first blossomed, one could argue that Kelly was rightly concerned that Val would hurt Steve by two-timing him with Dylan, even though her prime motivation was, natch, being pissed that Val touched her leftovers.  There's not even that thin veneer here with Kelly and Gina because Kelly's in the wrong all the way through.  If you like Matt, don't take day trips to Mexico with Dylan and lie about it and then act like the injured party when someone puts you on blast.  If you want to be with Matt versus Dylan, you don't get to be pissed if Gina (for whatever self-loathing reason) wants to break herself off a piece of Stick Insect.  Ugh, just shut up, Kelly.

Back to Gina, while I support her Donna-hating position, the whole thing just feels half-baked.  Her whining that she's always been in Donna's shadow has almost no impact when we've never seen or heard of this person until this season.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 6

I think Tara was talking about Jack In the Box tacos, which are basically deep-fried grilled-cheese sandwiches with wilted lettuce, a splash of sauce, and a little lump of pink slime. They are revolting, and I want to eat 6 of them right now.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Yeah all Gina did was hate every one of those people. She even hated Dylan when she wasn't obsessed with him. Why would she stick around? She has no connection to them and Dylan passed her over for pretty much.. anything all. the. time.  I didn't buy that she went from being the biggest bitch ever for no reason to being such a nice, caring person at the end of her run.

She hated Dylan WHEN she was obsessed with him. Matt is a doormat, but at least on paper the character has a reason to be there: he's the romantic foil of Kelly and Dylan. Gina is just there? And the reason is?

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

The GIF of the surprise party reveal left me with this question - have we, to this point, seen Janet interact one-on-one with Donna, or Kelly, or anyone else in The Gang?  And, I mean, she's not even Steve's girlfriend, they just work together.  Why is she being forced to participate in Gang events?  Love yourself, Janet!

So it looked like Donna had a total of 7 "friends" at this party. One is Gina who actually hates her, and one is Janet who barely knows her. Sounds about right, tbh. This is not a party to be jealous of, Gina!

• Love 2

I say this as a person who actually doesn't hate Kelly -- I think Seasons 9 and 10 get the gang back together to some degree, especially Season 10. But really, Janet/Steve are the biggest surprise and best thing to happen to this series.

• Love 2

The gif of the "surprise" cracks me up, because by the smile on his face, I swear Noah thinks the party is for him. I have watched it 6 times and his reaction makes me LOL every time.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

Gina was never a caring person, she just had 3 episodes of humanity when her paternity got cleared up. She never showed kindness elsewhere.

I meant during the time when she took the kid to the school dance because she felt bad for him.. and then after doc martin died, she was being normal. Other than that, she was terrible at all times.

40 minutes ago, Cekrypton1 said:

She hated Dylan WHEN she was obsessed with him. Matt is a doormat, but at least on paper the character has a reason to be there: he's the romantic foil of Kelly and Dylan. Gina is just there? And the reason is?

Oops that's what I meant. Even when she hated Dylan it was only because she was obsessed with him. She had no reason to hang out with any of those people.

• Love 2

Ginas hatred for Donna makes little sense .. but Val's hatred for Donna  made absolutely 0 sense . And considering how nice Donna was to Val before and after rays cheating with her , the fact that Donna stayed friends with Val with barely being bothered by how horrible she was ... made even less sense than that . 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kimmykun said:

Why is Dylan even going to Mexico to get his drugs? Did L.A. have a drug shortage or something?

Um hello.. he needed to travel

to impress kelly. ;)

23 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Ginas hatred for Donna makes little sense .. but Val's hatred for Donna  made absolutely 0 sense . And considering how nice Donna was to Val before and after rays cheating with her , the fact that Donna stayed friends with Val with barely being bothered by how horrible she was ... made even less sense than that . 

Yeah I mean we just met Gina but we’ve gotten some back story. Like how she got hand me downs and Donna trying to be like “and how awful were they???” To her. Like oh Donna. You just don’t get it. So it makes sense.

I never got why val hated Donna either. Kelly.. I get because kelly was ready for war with her pretty much as soon as Val arrived. Even before the stuff with Steve, when she was gossiping about what had happened to Val’s Dad. Like.. the hell? But Donna I never got. Especially because of what val did, hooking up with Ray...? Like really... all this for Ray?!?! Um.. sure. 

I don't know that Val necessarily hated Donna.  She didn't target Ray to hurt Donna, that's just (inexplicably) the dude she wanted.  I do think, later, she became envious that Donna would always been David's #1, but full-on hate like she hated Kelly?  I dunno.

• Love 1

I definitely don't think she hated Donna like she hated Kelly .. but she was never all too nice to her . I think the only female on the show Val somewhat liked was Tracy . But I think she only liked her because it meant Brandon not dating Kelly . 

• Love 1

Ok...the whole Donna is allergic to chocolate now. FALSE. In the iconic slumber party episode at the end after the girls make nicey-nice with Amanda, Donna stands up and says “Brenda do you have any more of those chocolate covered cookies in the fridge?” Brenda says “yeah I think there is a whole box left”. Amanda then asks for some, then hilariously asks Donna to bring the whole box. Yay, eating disorders are funny.  I agree with Sarah that she also was eating chocolate ice cream in the beginning too.

• Love 6

I just thought of another one. When Andrea is pregnant and doing stretches in front of the tv, she is eating chocolate ice cream. Donna comes over accepts Andrea’s offering of it with the phrase “always” which I hate. I am proposing a user challenge to name all the times Donna has had f-ing chocolate on this show. I am already going to check her and david’s Wedding cake...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

I don't know that Val necessarily hated Donna.  She didn't target Ray to hurt Donna, that's just (inexplicably) the dude she wanted.  I do think, later, she became envious that Donna would always been David's #1, but full-on hate like she hated Kelly?  I dunno.

I don’t even think Val was particularly hot for Ray in and of himself. I think she sexually harassed him for a power trip. He definitely had no gold to dig and no emotional connection like Tom or Colin.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I definitely don't think she hated Donna like she hated Kelly .. but she was never all too nice to her . I think the only female on the show Val somewhat liked was Tracy . But I think she only liked her because it meant Brandon not dating Kelly . 

I recall her being friendly with Susan too, for likely the same reason.

• Love 1

If Matt/Kelly haven't DTR then it isn't a big deal that she's hanging out with Dylan.  Has anyone had sex yet, aside from Gina and Dylan?  Why do I think that Matt would be so boring in bed?

As for the party planning, Noah is just such an ass.  He pawns all of the planning to someone else and then takes credit? He also has the nerve to act like she did this on purpose? If he's such a freaking loving boyfriend then he would have picked the cake out or had Nat donate a cake.  And I'm also pissed that Kelly had Gina cover her shift for most likely the entire day- while in Mexico.  

I'm also really irritated that Dylan's game hasn't changed in all these years.  He brings girls to Mexico to impress them (Stacey, Brenda, now Kelly).  Get some new moves man!

• Love 1

I couldn't stand Dylan's character at the end of the run. His first time around, he had moments of sobriety and he could be endearing at times..mostly when he was with Brenda and Toni.. With Kelly he was pretty horrible all the time but who could blame him? her and her constant judging and bitching.. but when he came back on the show the second time, he was just whiny and annoying.

• Love 3

Ginas hatred for Donna makes little sense ..

I think her revenge schemes make little sense, or at least show a real lack of effort.   I mean, Val came up with a fake pregnancy to blackmail Kenny into giving her thousands of dollars.  Gina's grand plan is to make it so Donna can't have birthday cake.  It's like the Goofus and Gallant of revenge.      

• Love 7
On 3/10/2018 at 8:22 PM, Flamingo said:

So, getting pregnant gets you out of a gang?

Well, she already tried working for free at a store selling ugly clothing, and that didn’t work, so she had to try something else...

You know, the first couple of times I saw this episode I thought Gina definitely got the wrong cake on purpose.  But I re-watched recently and I'm actually not so sure.  She's pissed she has to plan this party- WHY isn't Noah doing it again??  But she doesn't look like she got away with her "evil" plan when they feel the cake in- she looks like she's not really paying attention.  I think I'm going to give her a pass on this.

• Love 3