Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: Playing With Fire

wknt3
  • Start Topic

Danny takes on a personal case involving a drug cartel member, Louis Delgado, who Danny believes is responsible for torching his house, and Erin is given a promotion in the DA's office but finds herself in a challenging situation when both Danny and Jamie ask her for help with their investigations. Also, Frank and Jaime have a disagreement when Jamie refuses to stop riding with Eddie.

Edited by wknt3

Did I miss something with the arson kid?  Did they ever say why he started the fire?  I was busy unpacking and I might have missed it.

I really don't understand why Erin gave up the nice office.  Is she trying to have everyone think she's just another lawyer?  If that's the case, she needs to reevaluate.  

I don't know why, but I can't shake the feeling that Eddie and Jamie's marriage will not work.  She seems to be uncomfortable at the family dinner table and  she was trying too hard to fit in.  I think with a family like the Reagan, you need to just take it all in for a while and then start slowly to integrate yourself to the family dynamic. 

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

Did I miss something with the arson kid?  Did they ever say why he started the fire?  I was busy unpacking and I might have missed it.

The kids father owned the building and wanted to sell it.  The last tenants wouldn't leave even when he turned off utilities, etc.  He put his son up to it, but apparently lied to the kid about it being vacant.

Edited by zillabreeze
  • Love 2

Eddie will find her niche with the family.  I have a feeling she will come out with guns blazing (opinions flying) after she gets more comfortable.  It was only her second dinner with them.  If she would have started arguing, people would say she should shut up and learn/earn her place in the family.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I don't know why, but I can't shake the feeling that Eddie and Jamie's marriage will not work.  She seems to be uncomfortable at the family dinner table and  she was trying too hard to fit in.  I think with a family like the Reagan, you need to just take it all in for a while and then start slowly to integrate yourself to the family dynamic. 

I thought Eddie was uncomfortable because of the arguments between Jamie/Frank and Danny/Erin. Linda was the only significant other that stuck around for awhile and look what happened to her. I would probably be uncomfortable at a family dinner with the sanctimonious Reagan clan.

I have to admit the best part of the episode was anytime Aasif Mandvi appeared. Now I am going to fall down a rabbit hole of his The Daily Show work.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

She seems to be uncomfortable at the family dinner table and  she was trying too hard to fit in.

She was walking into a mine field of politics and family dynamics that she wasn't ready for.   The kids were trying to give her some pointers, but I felt there should been a short scene or even a line or two from Jamie in order to prep her for it. 

4 hours ago, rhys said:

That was cold, Dan, cold.

He's overdue for an Internal Affairs investigation...

• Love 4

Yay!  Jamie (secretly) took the sergeant's exam and came in #1!  And he's accepting the promotion, which will mean the conflict with him & Eddie is resolved.  Good all around.  

Danny really has an ethics problem.  I remember when The Closer did something similar.  It's simply wrong.  I understand the desire to get rid of the criminal, and he was awful, the way he taunted Danny, but it's still wrong on so many levels.

• Love 2

I'm happy the way the Jamie/Eddie not being partners was resolved.  They're not going to.  It ended up being their decision.  I'm glad Frank didn't make a special rule forbidding it because Baker's right, it would have been the same as making a special exception allowing it.

I'm cold, too, but I can't feel too bad for criminals getting killed by other criminals.  This is what they signed up for.  Am I saying their murders shouldn't be investigated and prosecuted?  No.  Of course, they should.  I have no idea how real life works, but I have seen the threat on cop shows a million times. "We're going to let you go and then they'll think you cooperated and so you might as well cooperate."  You would think the bad guys would catch on to the ploy.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I don't know why, but I can't shake the feeling that Eddie and Jamie's marriage will not work. 

Maybe you get that feeling because a woman marrying a Reagan on this show is the same as setting foot on the Hudson University campus on Law & Order, or an extra beaming down to a new planet with the main cast on Star Trek, or attending Sunnydale High School on Buffy - you might as well start getting your affairs in order!

• Love 17
2 hours ago, wknt3 said:

Maybe you get that feeling because a woman marrying a Reagan on this show is the same as setting foot on the Hudson University campus on Law & Order

I just burst out laughing and startled dogs!  So many times have I wondered about the crime stats at that school!

• Love 7

I missed a lot of last years shows and would like to know what happened to Linda.

The rest of the show is as it normally is. Two of the four Regans will have some major issue. In this new year all four had issues but I would suspect the following shows will revert back to the normal story lines.

2 hours ago, CaptainCranky said:

I missed a lot of last years shows and would like to know what happened to Linda.

Amy Carlson decided to leave the show after it wrapped for season 7 (some have suggested that she wanted more money, and was turned down.)  She was killed off screen in a helicopter crash as a result.

Deadline had a nice write up (some spoilers) https://deadline.com/2018/09/blue-bloods-amy-carlson-death-hints-season-debut-recap-review-tom-selleck-donnie-wahlberg-cbs-1202473529/   But after watching the premiere, putting some links under spoilers. 

Spoiler

The writer of this episode also wrote episode 7.  

Edited by mtlchick

Danny goes to Erin and wants her to get a warrant based on no evidence. How many years has Danny been a detective? And he still can't comprehend that no judge is going to issue a warrant based solely on one of his hunches. When Erin informs him of this fact for the umpteenth time over the years, he bitches and moans like a petulant child as usual. Fast forward to the family dinner and Danny starts insulting his sister because she wouldn't go along with his insane plan. Does the police commissioner or the guy who went to law school inform him that he is an idiot for thinking that a judge will sign a warrant based on zero evidence? Nope, they just let Danny go on humiliating Erin in front of her daughter as usual. Some things never change.

• Love 11

I thought this was pretty good, especially compared to the dreary slog that was most of last season. I can live with Jamie and Eddie together since it seems to have motivated them to finally do what we've been telling them to do for the last few years now and promote Jamie while keeping him on patrol. See now that wasn't so hard was it show? Plus like I've said before it means there is a better than even chance she gets killed off. Win-win in my book. I'm hoping that we don't drag out this whole Danny vs. the cartel thing and that they never actually confirm that Linda was killed because Danny is just such a badass super cop, but as long as they don't this was actually a better treatment of the aftermath of her death and how it affected him than anything from last year. And it was nice to see Len Cariou actually used as Frank's father and somebody who  did his job and dealt with the same issues and might actually be able to tell his son he's making a mistake and/or being an ass instead of just another worshipper at the altar of St. Francis of NYPDsi. Overall this episode is pretty much what the better episodes have almost always been - a basically competent if mediocre script elevated by an outstanding cast and crew to an enjoyable hour of TV comfort food. Hopefully it is a sign that things are back on track.

This was a better season premiere than last year, but some of it didn't make any sense.  What was The Panther's connection to Danny?  A random drug cartel member blows up a random detective's house?   They're going to have to connect it to a past case for any of it to make sense.  I still hate the Jeddie, but glad they promoted Jamie.  They should have done that 2 or 3 seasons ago.  It's funny that both Jamie and Erin got promoted in the same episode.

Edited by Magnumfangirl
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

What was The Panther's connection to Danny?  A random drug cartel member blows up a random detective's house?

He went after a drug cartel in the season 7 finale; he busts them and takes their money, they blow up his house  (and I guess maybe more.)  But I was confused by the introduction of this NEW gang.  There are like 4 other gangs/cartel the show already deal with, I was taking bets as to which gang they were from. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

He went after a drug cartel in the season 7 finale; he busts them and takes their money, they blow up his house  (and I guess maybe more.)  But I was confused by the introduction of this NEW gang.  There are like 4 other gangs/cartel the show already deal with, I was taking bets as to which gang they were from. 

IMHO, the DEA should be dealing with drug cartels. This episode was just to show how SuperDet. Regan can get revenge for his personal losses. And when is he going to learn the rules of law enforcement and not run to his sister for warrants, etc. (that cannot be issued) just because he wants one. He argues with Erin about law enforcement and then he goes rogue on Lou Diamond Phillips. Sometimes he's such a putz. (Actually, most of the time.)

• Love 4
21 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Danny really has an ethics problem. 

You don't get to be cop, judge, jury, and executioner. It doesn't work that way.  Did the Panther deserve it? Sure. But there are right ways and wrong ways to go about it.

3 hours ago, Rambler said:

Danny goes to Erin and wants her to get a warrant based on no evidence. How many years has Danny been a detective? And he still can't comprehend that no judge is going to issue a warrant based solely on one of his hunches.

Exactly.  The whole thing made absolutely no sense.

LDP does a pretty good bad guy although I prefer him as Henry Standing Bear in Longmire.  Best role for him.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Rambler said:

Danny goes to Erin and wants her to get a warrant based on no evidence. How many years has Danny been a detective? And he still can't comprehend that no judge is going to issue a warrant based solely on one of his hunches. When Erin informs him of this fact for the umpteenth time over the years, he bitches and moans like a petulant child as usual. Fast forward to the family dinner and Danny starts insulting his sister because she wouldn't go along with his insane plan. Does the police commissioner or the guy who went to law school inform him that he is an idiot for thinking that a judge will sign a warrant based on zero evidence? Nope, they just let Danny go on humiliating Erin in front of her daughter as usual. Some things never change.

The final exchange between her and her new(?) boss made it seem that with the promotion comes with more eyes on her with the decisions she makes when it comes to family and he will only allow so much.  

I was surprised that this was only a week after the finale ended. I thought it was going to pick up months later with Edie and Jamie already married. I'm looking forward to the first time Edie sides with Danny instead of Jamie during dinner. 

10 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

You don't get to be cop, judge, jury, and executioner. It doesn't work that way. 

Full disclosure...I will never stop watching because Tom S.... However,  Danny shoots more perps in a season than the entire Dallas PD does IRL in a year.  He is more commish than Tom.  Has he EVER been put in Police time out?  Wish they'd stop with him already.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I won't get real poopy when Peepaw finally dies.  I've never liked Len Cariou as an actor or in this role.  His dentures are off putting.  

Oh, please TeeVee gods, bring back Bebe Neurith!  I wanna ship her and Tom!  Plus I love her real life, mature actor confidence!  She doesn't appear to have (much) work done and proudly gets filmed in cold, blue light of NY winter...outside!  Flattering to NO ONE,  but it makes her so real & relatable.

Edited by zillabreeze
  • Love 8
On 29.9.2018 at 9:24 PM, zoey1996 said:

Danny really has an ethics problem.  I remember when The Closer did something similar.  It's simply wrong.  I understand the desire to get rid of the criminal, and he was awful, the way he taunted Danny, but it's still wrong on so many levels.

And Brenda Lee got into major trouble for doing so. I doubt Danny will face something similar.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 1
On 9/29/2018 at 4:55 PM, zillabreeze said:

I just burst out laughing and startled dogs!  So many times have I wondered about the crime stats at that school!

there's a meme somewhere out there that is a fake brochure to attend Hudson U, it has silly points on there, like "most on campus murders"   etc.  Its funny 

TOPIC:  So Lou Diamond killed Linda too?  Did I hear that confession right?  

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

LDP does a pretty good bad guy although I prefer him as Henry Standing Bear in Longmire.  Best role for him.

Yes! But I enjoyed seeing him again. 

I'm happy for Jamie.He took the test without making a big deal of it.  He does things on his own time, in his own way. He doesn't need the family directing him on how to live his life, I also think he's the smartest one of the Reagan's. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

there's a meme somewhere out there that is a fake brochure to attend Hudson U, it has silly points on there, like "most on campus murders"   etc.  Its funny 

It was a sight gag on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and I was HOWLING. 

• Love 1
On 9/29/2018 at 3:41 PM, wknt3 said:

Maybe you get that feeling because a woman marrying a Reagan on this show is the same as setting foot on the Hudson University campus on Law & Order

Not just Law and Order, it's been on a bunch of CBS shows. The network cleared the name so they use it whenever they need to instead of trying to clear something else. I'm pretty sure it's been on Blue BloodsBull, and other CBS shows. 

2 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

So Lou Diamond killed Linda too?  Did I hear that confession right?  

I don't think so. I thought Linda died in a medical evacuation. Something went horribly wrong while Linda and a medical team were transporting a patient via helicopter and Linda died when something went wrong. It was just a tragic accident. 

Just now, Sarah 103 said:

Not just Law and Order, it's been on a bunch of CBS shows. The network cleared the name so they use it whenever they need to instead of trying to clear something else. I'm pretty sure it's been on Blue BloodsBull, and other CBS shows. 

I don't think so. I thought Linda died in a medical evacuation. Something went horribly wrong while Linda and a medical team were transporting a patient via helicopter and Linda died when something went wrong. It was just a tragic accident. 

I don't think so.....I think they're switching it up on us now.  Lou said first how Danny's house immediately lit up, and then he said something like and the helicopter went down quick...

38 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Hudson University is the TV school that no one should be going to, but especially if you appear on Law and Order. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_University

As to your second point, Linda did die in a medical evacuation, but with this episode, they may be retconning it a bit now to fit into the cartel "potentially" being behind it.  My theory: The cartel blew up the house AND they planned it when they knew Danny was on the job and Linda and the boys would be home.   However, the family went out for ice cream and they went to a plan B to REALLY make sure he got the message, only being revealed to him a year later.  Which could also explain why Frank said Jamie and Eddie got engaged "this past weekend" instead of being a few months ago. 

I can be a TV writer! Watch me be completely wrong! 

• Love 3

Still watching season 8 but watched the Seadon 9 opening show and it was just no romantic story for them.   They need to soften the edges.  

Frank needs s girlfriend.  

Wrin needs to date now that her daughter is in college.

On 9/30/2018 at 8:08 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I was surprised that this was only a week after the finale ended. I thought it was going to pick up months later with Edie and Jamie already married. I'm looking forward to the first time Edie sides with Danny instead of Jamie during dinner. 

I got the impression this was epi filmed last season possibly ment to be the season finale. Everyone seemed to be wearing coats or jackets ie spring. I think there was a lot of seed planting for future epi's which could explain holding it. Getting revenge for losing his house would be fitting finale..  Dirty Danny might ruin the Reagan name a legacy if he keeps it up regardless of his personal connection. Jamie already faked out the family a couple of times first going to law school then still signing up for the police.

8 hours ago, misstwpherecool said:

I got the impression this was epi filmed last season possibly ment to be the season finale. 

This episode was the first one filmed for the season in mid July.  All the more reason that them going from heavy coats and knit caps due to the freak snow storm in early April to dresses and claim it was only a weekend later all the more jarring.  We'll just fanwalk and say "that's NYC weather for you."

It's about time Jamie got a promotion. However, did he not give his whatever (slot, permission, certificate, eligibility, I don't recall what it was called) to Eddie so she could take the exam when Frank wanted Jamie to do it? So how come they were both able to take the exam now?

49 minutes ago, Efzee said:

It's about time Jamie got a promotion. However, did he not give his whatever (slot, permission, certificate, eligibility, I don't recall what it was called) to Eddie so she could take the exam when Frank wanted Jamie to do it? So how come they were both able to take the exam now?

IIRC, he passed his application on to Eddie that Frank had given him, but anyone could apply to take the test.  He said he wasn't going to do it, but apparently changed his mind and secretly got another form, applied, and took the test.

19 hours ago, Katy M said:

IIRC, he passed his application on to Eddie that Frank had given him, but anyone could apply to take the test.  He said he wasn't going to do it, but apparently changed his mind and secretly got another form, applied, and took the test.

Ah, thought it was something more specific than a mere application. Thanks.