Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: 00:42:30

Bort
  • Start Topic

A blackout at Chastain Memorial Hospital requires the staff to treat their patients without the help of any technology. Bell orders the staff to stop accepting new patients and transfer those on life support, but when a child in need is rushed to the ER, Conrad and Devon go against the mandate. Meanwhile, Mina and Austin are tasked with performing heart surgery on a premature baby, despite the lack of power, and Nic works tirelessly to organize the staff and patients who stay during the blackout.

Airdate: Monday, September 24, 2018

Quite disappointing but for the last ten minutes with Bell's truly excellent Magnificent Bastarding and Conrad's prank on Dev. They were the only ones to capture the tone I loved last season and which, imo, makes the show original and unique.

Bruce Greenwood's Bell and kickass Nic were the MVPs. I think Bell was quite affected by what happened with Lane, after all, and he needed time to get his evil mojo back. The one good idea was not to crowd this episode with new characters (including Conrad's dad).

The rest was a pretty standard disaster episode for a medical show, with way too much saccharine and tears (not on my side of the screen) for my taste, including a criminal moronic brat getting off the hook. WTF.  Worst cliché: Feldman and the nurse in the elevator. It fell completely flat for me.

I like Nic/Conrad, I root for them, I'm glad they seem to be in a healthy relationship this season, but I don't love them. Otherwise, their scenes would probably have made the episode for me, LOL.

Also, will the real Mina Okafor please stand up? There's balancing your brain and your heart, and there's becoming a sap. I have the unpleasant impression she's been sweetened because of Austin and Mycah.

I dare hope this picture on a TV screen wasn't the last we've seen of Lane. If only because the show seems in dire need of spice. And I hope next episode will look like the last ten minutes, with Bell vs Marshall and other shenanigans.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Ugh, cringe.  I looked forward to this? SMH.  I really don't want to see heart surgeries on hand sized babies, and the focus on Mina seemed like a waste of time.  It's not going to end well, we all know that.  

I actually thought there wasn't enough Conrad.  But he was in almost every scene so that made no sense.

I knew they'd get that girl off, I'd have seen her go to prison for hard hard time, so I guess my heart doesn't bleed enough.  Financial ruin is nothing like putting other people at the risk if death, just so we're clear.  

Completely underwhelmed, and disappointingly so.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, Jlina said:

Ugh, cringe.  I looked forward to this? SMH.  I really don't want to see heart surgeries on hand sized babies, and the focus on Mina seemed like a waste of time.  It's not going to end well, we all know that.  

I actually thought there wasn't enough Conrad.  But he was in almost every scene so that made no sense.

I knew they'd get that girl off, I'd have seen her go to prison for hard hard time, so I guess my heart doesn't bleed enough.  Financial ruin is nothing like putting other people at the risk if death, just so we're clear.  

Completely underwhelmed, and disappointingly so.

I acknowledge that I'm a complete cold-hearted bastard, but I really just wanted someone, anyone, to die.

• Love 4

I acknowledge that I'm a complete cold-hearted bastard, but I really just wanted someone, anyone, to die.

I was disappointed no one died. Not necessarily one of the babies, but an adult or two would have been fine. The Good Doctor is my upbeat medical show, I expect this to have more bite. 

• Love 3

Yes! Are we only going to see sex scenes between the two of them because it’s going to get old real quick.

Bell continues to be a big douche, but I love it. I hope he gets in trouble for all the surgeries he botched last season. 

The hacker should have gotten in a little trouble even if she didn’t mean to shut down the whole hospital.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, twoods said:

The hacker should have gotten in a little trouble even if she didn’t mean to shut down the whole hospital.

I guess we were supposed to think it was so nice that they were compassionate with her, but sorry, creating a self-replicating virus to wipe out financial records is wrong and illegal on its own, much less doing it badly so that it self-replicates to the entire hospital system and puts many lives in danger.  No one died on this show, but in reality, a LOT of people would have died, including, or especially, those babies.  So for her to get away with it, AND have her debt wiped out, no, just no.

That took away all satisfaction of having Lane arrested and on the hook for murder and everything else.

• Love 8

Oh please!  We all know Conrad is an uber doctor!  But when the problems started and he said that he'd go down to the basement and see what was going on down there, I laughed out loud.  He's also an electrician!  And an HVAC guy!  He'll fix that stuff in the basement!

• Love 14
3 hours ago, LouiseIndy said:

Oh please!  We all know Conrad is an uber doctor!  But when the problems started and he said that he'd go down to the basement and see what was going on down there, I laughed out loud.  He's also an electrician!  And an HVAC guy!  He'll fix that stuff in the basement!

It's only slightly less impressive than Austin knowing exactly how long the generator would last down to the second without ever leaving the OR. Saying that they'd probably only get about an hour isn't the same as the lights blinking out just as the timer ended.

All the dumb stuff aside, I did enjoy this. I do wish the hacker had faced some consequences but seeing everyone rally and come up with solutions was entertaining. It was a little hokey that no one died but Chastain needs a win so I'm willing to roll with it. Losing someone would have been more bad press and the hospital has enough going on to keep that part of the story going without adding on wrongful death because of an IT weakness.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I was an extra on this episode! I was in the scene right when the blackout starts, I'm in the group of medical staff (I'm a nurse) looking around like "what's going on?" when the lights start flickering. I'm also in the ICU scene when Nic breaks the glass with a crutch. I was in between jobs and live in the Atlanta area where they film so I signed up to be an extra to make some extra money. We also saw where they set up the shower, but of course we weren't allowed to actually watch them film the scene :)

• Like 1
  • Love 20
6 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I was an extra on this episode! I was in the scene right when the blackout starts, I'm in the group of medical staff (I'm a nurse) looking around like "what's going on?" when the lights start flickering. I'm also in the ICU scene when Nic breaks the glass with a crutch. I was in between jobs and live in the Atlanta area where they film so I signed up to be an extra to make some extra money. We also saw where they set up the shower, but of course we weren't allowed to actually watch them film the scene :)

How fun! Was it just for one episode, or are you going to be an extra in other episodes?

7 hours ago, MaggieG said:

That is so cool!!  Did you meet any of them?

8 hours ago, MaggieG said:

Hey, if you get to do it again, wanna tell Matt C. to stop mouth breathing?  I can hear him panting.  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

How fun! Was it just for one episode, or are you going to be an extra in other episodes?

I will also be in episode 3. I'll give details when that one airs :)

12 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

That is so cool!!  Did you meet any of them?

I saw them Nic/Conrad/Devin but didn't meet them. Usually the actors don't really speak to the extras. And you're not supposed to speak to them unless they speak to you first. Matt C did look at me a few times though and I totally blushed!

11 hours ago, Granny58 said:

Hey, if you get to do it again, wanna tell Matt C. to stop mouth breathing?  I can hear him panting.  

Haha, I'll bring it up with him.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I saw them Nic/Conrad/Devin but didn't meet them. Usually the actors don't really speak to the extras. And you're not supposed to speak to them unless they speak to you first. Matt C did look at me a few times though and I totally blushed!

I figured that was the protocol, but still how exciting.  Matt checking you out is fabulous!!! Keep us posted.   :)

• Love 2
On 9/24/2018 at 9:31 PM, Jlina said:

I'd have seen her go to prison for hard hard time, so I guess my heart doesn't bleed enough.  Financial ruin is nothing like putting other people at the risk if death, just so we're clear.  

I've always considered myself a bleeding heart but there were babies in the ICU! I'm all about righteous anger and protest but I was screaming at my television for them to send her to jail and never let her out.

I'm going to need Theo House to tone it down a little. His behavior towards Nina is cringeworthy. He's not fun and his behavior borders on harassment.

Nina and Micah are getting on my nerves. I don't find them cute or hopeful. I want Nina to be a badass doctor. All I've seen is a badass doctor and various men getting in her way. 

• Love 4

A little late to the party, but I have to say, the one thing that stood out to me in this ep:

When Bruce Greenwood relayed that the hack wasn't external, but on internal servers, did anyone else yell to themselves "The calls are coming from inside the house!" ?

No? Just me?  Move along, then. ;) 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 9/24/2018 at 10:07 PM, Happy Harpy said:

Quite disappointing but for the last ten minutes with Bell's truly excellent Magnificent Bastarding and Conrad's prank on Dev. They were the only ones to capture the tone I loved last season and which, imo, makes the show original and unique.

Bruce Greenwood's Bell and kickass Nic were the MVPs. I think Bell was quite affected by what happened with Lane, after all, and he needed time to get his evil mojo back. The one good idea was not to crowd this episode with new characters (including Conrad's dad).

The rest was a pretty standard disaster episode for a medical show, with way too much saccharine and tears (not on my side of the screen) for my taste, including a criminal moronic brat getting off the hook. WTF.  Worst cliché: Feldman and the nurse in the elevator. It fell completely flat for me.

I like Nic/Conrad, I root for them, I'm glad they seem to be in a healthy relationship this season, but I don't love them. Otherwise, their scenes would probably have made the episode for me, LOL.

Also, will the real Mina Okafor please stand up? There's balancing your brain and your heart, and there's becoming a sap. I have the unpleasant impression she's been sweetened because of Austin and Mycah.

I dare hope this picture on a TV screen wasn't the last we've seen of Lane. If only because the show seems in dire need of spice. And I hope next episode will look like the last ten minutes, with Bell vs Marshall and other shenanigans.

Glad I found this board (have been on the Chicago Med board which has turned into a trainwreck).   Anyway, back to The Resident.    I agree with some of your assessment although I don't think it was fair to "set up " Lane" to save himself but guess that is typical!    Bell is (and has done) dangerous, reckless, and unethical things in the ER --currently has not been totally exposed--and is just as culpable of negligence as Lane even though yes, her's was far worse.  I believe they've written her off the show permanently but she certainly had the"goods" on Bell should they ever bring her back.

Agreed - the hacker shouldn't have gotten off with a simple apology for the devastation she caused.  Bell, with all his hubris proceeding to fire the IT guy and admin was ridiculously stupid (they were bit players anyway) and now going after Conrad, ,e.g., "who made that first cut" - wow, he has no shame in being the self-proclaimed king of the hospital.    I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop since Conrad's father is now Chairman of the Board.   Can't wait to see the sparks fly on that battle.

Nina - yeah, what's happened to her kick-ass skills and storyline.  Why have the writers developed this relationship with Micah/Mycah - there's no chemistry between them; it's feels more platonic than romantic.  So, let's get her back to the brilliant skiillset she's supposed to possess.  I could see her more with the new surgeon (can't think of MJW character's name) than this young man who's had a crush on her since Day 1.

What was the elevator scene about?  That certainly could have been/should have been easily edited from the script - no value add at all.   I am a fan of "Connic" as their relationship seems to be a typical, normal relationship--at least for the moment--so hope the writers don't screw that up!

• Like 1