Type keyword(s) to search

Magnum P.I. (2018) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

That's cool about the 2-hour opening event, but that means one less week overall.  Give and take.

Interesting about the initial 20 episode order being labeled as a two-part season.  Seems to me they are opening the door for a "if it gets the Nielsen Ratings (or whatever) numbers in the first 10 episodes, the 2nd part of S5 can find a home on the fall schedule;  and more episodes can/will be ordered.".

Not sure why you split up a season, otherwise.  Unless they are going to air the first 10 this winter and then the other 10 sometime this mid-to-late summer.  I guess that's a distant possibility, too.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Like 1

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on S.W.A.T., #OneChicago, The Bad Batch, Magnum, SEAL Team, La Brea, The Boys and More

Hello, Matt! Can you give us something about Katsumoto’s storyline this season on Magnum P.I.? We know there’s a new detective in town (played by Michael Rady), but we absolutely need our favorite detective back! – Fran

Rest assured, Tim Kang “has got some really fun stuff this season,” Perdita Weeks shared when I delivered your Q. “He’s about to shoot a really fun one where he goes undercover to help us.” Additionally, Jay Hernandez said that Kang has “really meaty, family stuff” in the episode Hernandez just directed — and it includes a trip off the island that gets the sidelined cop out of his stuffy suit and into… something very different.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 1/7/2023 at 2:50 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Gonna throw in an eye-roll, as I laugh, if that's another 'scene from the books'.

I am pretty sure they are finally going to a heavy weapons Hart to Hart with the  Magnum big 4 legacy character names.

• Like 1

Have Perdita Weeks' breasts been augmented for the new series?  She used to have a slim, athletic, flat-chested figure.  Now she has larger jiggly breasts.  Thank you NBC for ruining an iconic female character.

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, preeya said:

Is the first client of the new [NBC] Magnum a sister to Rob Lowe because IMO, she could pass for his twin.

No, that was Kelly Thiebaud, formerly of General Hospital as Dr Britt Westbourne, and currently on Station 19.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 2/18/2023 at 12:52 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Seems like NBC & the showrunners are really leaning into the Miggy, at least to start.

I only saw the first season premiere hour at this point but it does point to Miggy eventually telling the friends who already know about the "secret" relationship scene.

I liked the new detective. Childs was it? I hope he is just not a place holder until Gordy gets his badge back. Was not expecting Captain Greene to be back, maybe the new network will make another pass at the Ivan storyline.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, susannot said:

Have Perdita Weeks' breasts been augmented for the new series?  She used to have a slim, athletic, flat-chested figure.  Now she has larger jiggly breasts.  Thank you NBC for ruining an iconic female character.

I didn't notice but in the second episode when the other lifeguard came in I thought wait a minute with Higgins I thought Baywatch changed their uniforms. While exposing one asset it did serve up to cover up the other asset that CBS played up with the yoga scene that stayed in the opening credits

11 hours ago, susannot said:

It seemed to me that her tops  were a bit (?) more revealing than in the past, but maybe it was "enhancement", costuming, or a bit of both.

• Like 1

Unlike others, I feel like there are different vibes to the first 2 episodes of S5.

We have the opening credit after 9 mins. Different song for closing credit. The music sounds a bit louder. Thomas has new shirts and Juliet has new tops. Where is Robin’s Range Rover and TC’s chopper? They don’t really explain on Suzy’s absence, right? There’s no Shammy and no mention of him too.

And this is more than padded push-up bra! 

AFAA9B34-643F-42C3-B4F2-8C2E2D123747.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Where is Robin’s Range Rover and TC’s chopper? They don’t really explain on Suzy’s absence, right? There’s no Shammy and no mention of him too.

Most of those fall into reoccurring characters and bits from TC actually flying on the reboot category.  but as all in partners they don't need two cars even if Robins other vehicles would seem more useful than a Ferrari. With Jin presumably out of the way for a few episodes and the next time Miggy needs air support I think we can look forward to seeing Shammy

That said it was Suzy being gone. I can't remember, did she say she was going to leave Rick with his son at the end of season 4?

With Buck Greene as another sort of legacy character from the 80s totally gone now I guess we are to presume he gave up his team as opposed to accidentally dying before the kidnappers could get information from him. And they did a soft reboot on the Marines from a flight crew to on the ground black operators. It reminded me of NBA Hall of Famer Dennis Rodman playing a helicopter pilot who would park it and be a ground commando on the second season of syndicated half hour action show Soldier of Fortune Special Ops Force after he retired from the game.

On 1/13/2023 at 8:08 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Interesting about the initial 20 episode order being labeled as a two-part season.  Seems to me they are opening the door for a "if it gets the Nielsen Ratings (or whatever) numbers in the first 10 episodes, the 2nd part of S5 can find a home on the fall schedule;  and more episodes can/will be ordered.".

Not sure why you split up a season, otherwise.  Unless they are going to air the first 10 this winter and then the other 10 sometime this mid-to-late summer.  I guess that's a distant possibility, too.

The same reason most shows do split fifth seasons, as contracts for all of the crew go through five seasons, so if you call the split seasons both Season 5, you get them all on their Season 5 deals, instead of having to negotiate new Season 6 deals. I legit don't know why shows are allowed to get away with this. 

On 2/19/2023 at 11:58 PM, susannot said:

Unless NBC made her do it, which is unconscionable, I'm not sure why they are being blamed.  I don't believe it was necessary, but if it makes Ms. Weeks feel better about herself, then I support her right to do that.  It does appear that she showed restraint in choosing the size.

I've only seen this week's first ep, but I liked it.  I liked that the doctor wasn't cheating on his wife, but rather, helping an abused patient.  Nice twist.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I appreciate the showrunners laying everything out with the relationship in the first five minutes.  I don't like them sneaking around, but it I guess it creates more opportunities for misunderstandings and for hilarity to ensue.

I thought maybe Katsumoto would join the PI business.

James Remar! 👍

Bobby Lee 🖕

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

I thought maybe Katsumoto would join the PI business.

I wouldn't mind him losing the fight. On the other hand if the business grows too big you lose the flavor of the show. Back in the day Magnum's running mate Simon and Simon did that for a few episodes  before rebooting back to just the brothers

Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that Oahu does NOT have a law about law about leaving your dog in a vehicle with windows up, etc. My family and I came across a dog left in a hot van when we went to a public beach. When we brought it to the attention of the attendant, he told us there was nothing he could do. We googled, and there is no law. We hung out by the van for a little bit, but couldn’t stay. I hope that dog was ok. 

Other than that, I find the show basically the same.  Good as background noise while I do something else. 

I always liked this show on CBS and although the same people are still on it…it just isn’t the same. I think it is because they are a couple now and it throws off the vibe they previously had. Also not fond of the new detective.

S05•E03 - Number One with a Bullet

Katsumoto takes a job providing security for a chart-topping K-pop star. Higgins and Rick find themselves in peril while trying to help Rick's friend. Magnum harbors suspicions about Capt. Greene's death.

Airdate: February 26, 2023

Edited by SnazzyDaisy

My dvr did not pick up the first episode but did pick up the second one about being lifeguards.  I liked it pretty well, but wish I could have gotten more background from the first episode.  Is Rick going to be a single father?  If so, where did his son stay when Rick went to stay with Magnum?  Just glad this is back, but it just feels wrong that it's not on CBS has that also had legacy Magnum.

The scenes with Katsumoto, his son, and the K-Pop star were funny. It was nice to see Gordon crack a smile and laugh. It was kind of weird though that there was no interaction between Katsumoto and the rest of the gang though. So they had no idea he got stabbed?

• Like 1
On 3/1/2023 at 5:33 PM, seacliffsal said:

My dvr did not pick up the first episode but did pick up the second one about being lifeguards.  I liked it pretty well, but wish I could have gotten more background from the first episode.  Is Rick going to be a single father?  If so, where did his son stay when Rick went to stay with Magnum?  Just glad this is back, but it just feels wrong that it's not on CBS has that also had legacy Magnum.

To be honest I watched the episode and missed the explanation re Rick.  I was just glad Suzy wasn’t on so it wouldn’t become a whole thing with her and Rick.

9 hours ago, GiandujaPie said:

The scenes with Katsumoto, his son, and the K-Pop star were funny. It was nice to see Gordon crack a smile and laugh. It was kind of weird though that there was no interaction between Katsumoto and the rest of the gang though. So they had no idea he got stabbed?

I took it that there was no interaction since they were occupied with the other case.  2 of them were stuck with the guys with guns and the other 2 were helping them.  Otherwise I would have felt the same

(edited)

Gordie has the best story this week. I truly enjoyed it.

“Son, meet your new sister.”

😂😂😂

Am looking forward to see the boys working together, solving Capt. Greene's murder.

On 3/2/2023 at 6:33 AM, seacliffsal said:

Is Rick going to be a single father?  If so, where did his son stay when Rick went to stay with Magnum? 

If I remember correctly, Suzy told him she wants to co-parent, nothing more. They have a daughter - Joy Frankie.

Spoiler

In next episode, Rick gets a visit from his sister. I guess we will know more about his current status/arrangement with his baby mama.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
(edited)

I never thought the remake went as dark as well as the legacy Selleck Magnum, while handling the comedy more consistently. Now with Suzy making an appearance as what seems like another run at the Ivan story, perhaps with a different name attached I got a feeling Rick is about to suffer a bigger loss than his mentor Icepick.

COTW with CEO daddy taking the rap for his daughter  was just okay

Edited by Raja

It’s been 2 weeks in a row we saw Thomas and Juliet working on boring cases. Does the show suffer a budget cut in stunts & coordination?

I was hoping to see Rick and a real baby. If Thomas can have baby Hiapo, why can’t Rick?

Love this song at the end of this episode! ❤️

• Like 1

Finally got around to watching and catching up on the new season.

And seems they are going to do the "white SUV" kind of plot, again, but hopefully not as horribly or glossed over this time.

I agree that its probably Ivan again, but wouldn't mind if it was someone else.

I just like having an over-arching plot instead of only the episodic cases, which are more often than not on the wrong side of the 'hit-or-miss' category.

• Like 1

S05•E05 - Welcome to Paradise, Now Die!

Magnum recruits Katsumoto to help find a missing tourist. Higgins and Kumu attempt to solve the murder of a beloved dog. Rick enlists the aid of TC after he accidentally loses Magnum's pet mouse, Roberto II.

Airdate: March 12, 2023

Magnum PI S05 E05 - Pic 1.jpg

Magnum PI S05 E05 - Pic 2.jpg

Magnum PI S05 E05 - Pic 3.jpg

Magnum PI S05 E05 - Pic 4.jpg

Magnum PI S05 E05 - Pic 5.jpg

Bye bye Range Rover, hello Porsche !

Another 2 tame cases with no action and stunt. The only action is kicking a motel door.

I like seeing Thomas working together with Gordie, no Juliet. One thing though, since when Thomas being so good at hacking into databases? Is he faking it for the past 4 years?

Juliet having a moment of sheer panic when Kumu realizes on The Lads' change of attitude towards Thomas. Isn't she supposed to be a badass ex-spy?

Btw, is that a different Zeus and Apollo? One seems bigger than another.

Déjà vu...

1b85755f80d4a6a2876f2d216968c3d4.gif

• Like 1

I enjoyed this episode.  I liked seeing more of the supporting characters-however, I missed the fact over the last four years that Magnum had a mouse.  Oh well.  Glad the Magnum/Higgins secret relationship is a secret no more.  Oh, and happy to see the Lads again!

• Like 1

S05•E06 - Dead Ringer

Katsumoto’s hearing date has arrived and he will learn if his career in law enforcement is over for good or not. Magnum and Higgins are hired to investigate a man their client believes committed murder. Rick’s suspicions grow on their relationship.

Airdate: March 19, 2023

Magnum PI S05 E06 - Pic 1.jpg

Magnum PI S05 E06 - Pic 2.jpg

Magnum PI S05 E06 - Pic 3.jpg

Magnum PI S05 E06 - Pic 4.jpg

• Useful 1