Type keyword(s) to search

Magnum P.I. (2018) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm glad that they didn't keep on with the Miggy secret that all the friends already knew about. And Rick spelled out the Suzy situation better than a recap at the front of an episode could.

I wonder what is the future of Detective Childs? A girlfriend back in Oakland, sort of a Bay area version of New York versus New Jersey that Magnum gave the look to suggest no more long distance relationship. The last partner for Gordon, in Magnum's placeholder girlfriend didn't work well if they cut back on both to be reoccurring trading police contact roles might be coming.

The lengthy opening credit is gone, phew! 😅 

Gordie got reinstated, yay! And Dennis was there for him.

Since the cat is now out of the bag, I wonder how the writers are going to keep the Miggy stuff interesting without being cheesy while appeasing the fandom.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 3

I'm glad the secret is out too, tho it was fun watching it play out too. I think the show will do a good job of having them be a loving couple who solve crimes. I like them being that. This show thrives on having this group of found family be loving and supportive and switch up pairings to help people and solve crimes. I don't think that will change just cuz Miggy are together. And speaking as a Miggy fan, that's what I want. 

I really enjoyed Gordie's son being in more this season. And it's really lovely that they are writing them having such a good relationship. It makes me miss Cade more tho. I really liked his and TC's relationship. Hope they bring him back!

I was soooo glad they found the missing girl alive!! What a horror!! But I'm really glad she was ok. I like happy endings!

• Like 4

So now that Gordy got reinstated, will they make him & Childs partners?  Didn't get even the slightest sense that we'd likely never see Childs again, so wondering how he'll play into (at least) the rest of this season.

Now that Miggy is officially official and out in the open, 'bout time to dive headfirst back into the heavy overtones of the upcoming culmination of the 'payback for the black op' story line they've so far built up to in the first 4 eps.

Getting the heavy foreboding feeling that Suzy might be tip-toeing 'fridge' territory, or that they'll heavily tease it as an option.   Like now that Rick has hope - from knowing Miggy is together - he & Suzy will start working to being together, and right when its happening (or just after), she'll be a terribly unfortunate victim of the whole payback plot.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

So now that Gordy got reinstated, will they make him & Childs partners?  Didn't get even the slightest sense that we'd likely never see Childs again, so wondering how he'll play into (at least) the rest of this season.

Now that Miggy is officially official and out in the open, 'bout time to dive headfirst back into the heavy overtones of the upcoming culmination of the 'payback for the black op' story line they've so far built up to in the first 4 eps.

Getting the heavy foreboding feeling that Suzy might be tip-toeing 'fridge' territory, or that they'll heavily tease it as an option.   Like now that Rick has hope - from knowing Miggy is together - he & Suzy will start working to being together, and right when its happening (or just after), she'll be a terribly unfortunate victim of the whole payback plot.

Since the show has ruthlessly eliminated all of the legacy character names except the big 4 there is no Mac that is liked to become the collateral damage. They could get Jin but then we would all be happy and his doppelganger, if the actor can pull it off has to be an improvement.

• Like 1

I suspected the brother of the robbery the whole time. I just didn't predict that the sister knew one of the robbers too, or that the necklace had been swapped with a fake.

So Cade finally come back from visiting his mom's family. And now TC's mom came to see him too. Wow.

• Like 1

S05•E08 - Dark Skies

Magnum and Rick make a shocking discovery in the Capt. Greene case. Higgins and TC head to Maui to help an eccentric billionaire find the owner of a pesky drone harassing him. Shammy helps Kumu after an incident occurs at La Mariana.

Airdate: April 2, 2023

Can anyone tell me who's portraying the eccentric billionaire in tonight's episode? He looks so familiar and I am pretty sure it's from TV, and not film roles. IMDB is no help, as it doesn't list guest stars. TIA

Of all the places Magnum could have found the guy San Diego. I was hoping for a Simon & Simon reference. While I think Jay Hernandez's comedy is more consistent he doesn't come off as intimidating as Tom Selleck. With three investigations when TC and Higgins started shooting from a full gallop I knew they had two incomplete story ideas grafted to not enough storyline on the special ops Afghanistan revenge stuff.

I enjoy this show for the scenery and the lightheartedness and can overlook the improbableness and this episode certainly delivered on all three.  Juliet shooting down a drone from horseback! TC and Juliette taking out 4 heavily armed thugs with only their handguns.  Rick was certainly right that Magnum was certainly foolish in revealing himself, his house, and Rick to the guy hired to kill them and TC.  But still it's a pleasant way to spend an hour on Sunday night.

• Like 6

First sighting of Shammy and flying chopper in S5. Did they recycle the gorgeous landscape shots from the previous seasons?

No idea why Lewis Peele is afraid of Thomas. He isn’t terrifying at all. And why CIA wanna clean the house, taking down TM/R/TC??!

Juliet continues to amaze us with her extraordinary skills that always come in handy in every situations. If this show is cancelled again, PW needs to get in touch with Taylor Sheridan. 😆

La Triviana? Cringey.

17 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Can anyone tell me who's portraying the eccentric billionaire in tonight's episode? IMDB is no help, as it doesn't list guest stars. TIA

It has been updated.

IMDb - Eddie Jemison

I am been enjoying having Magnum back.  And, shockingly, I like Miggy (did I get that right?).  I think finally pairing them eliminated the need to build tension and keep putting them together to try to build that tension.  Now, they just "are" and therefore are able to be paired up with the others.  Enjoyed all of the pairings this episode (Shammie!).  However, I think the thief should still have had some kind of consequence.  At 23 he's old enough to take responsibility for his choices.  Oh, and the 'he didn't have any other option' line doesn't work.  Maybe get a job?  

And, one thing I have really noticed is that the estate obviously doesn't need any workers any more as Higgins doesn't seem to pay attention to anything there and Teuila is now working full-time at Rick's bar.  I know it's to provide more interactions, but what about the estate?

And, as always, we need more of the dogs...

• Like 2

S05•E09 - Out of Sight, Out of Mind

Magnum and Higgins take on a case that sends Higgins inside a psychiatric hospital. Katsumoto and his son, Dennis, head to the mainland to look at colleges, but their trip takes a harrowing turn when a run-in with a local turns ugly.

Airdate: April 16, 2023

Edited by SnazzyDaisy

What an odd episode -- I'll admit I was only half paying attention.  The Juliette mystery just didn't hold my interest and I'm not really sure what Thomas was doing. The Katsumoto part seemed like filler.   But then the last 5 minutes - POW!

Rather stupid of the new detective to go to that house alone.   I'm not really sure why he even went there.

Unless they're ending the show we know TC will pull through but really how could his "killer" leave without being sure TC was dead..  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, abbyzenn said:

What an odd episode -- I'll admit I was only half paying attention.  The Juliette mystery just didn't hold my interest and I'm not really sure what Thomas was doing. The Katsumoto part seemed like filler.   But then the last 5 minutes - POW!

Rather stupid of the new detective to go to that house alone.   I'm not really sure why he even went there.

Unless they're ending the show we know TC will pull through but really how could his "killer" leave without being sure TC was dead..  

The thing about the last of Gordon and son's story PSA left me thinking everybody knows when they see his eyes things are harder for him to get into college. Do better with your racist, even for a C plot, which I think the show should dispense with anyway.

I liked Detective Childs but in the end he was the Mac as they redo the flipped Ivan storyline. It looks like CIA cover up instead of KGB plot a Manchurian Candidate at the moment. 

My guess is that Shammy armed himself and drives the attacker off. I'd rather that then Magnum shows up just in time due to Detective Childs' last act.

• Like 2

I also think Shammy will take out the assassin, otherwise it doesn't make sense to have him so briefly in the episode.

I, too, lost interest in Juliette's case.  And, in the racism PSA, I think the guy was just a jerk who resented being asked to be quiet as he watched the game.  I found it odd in the first place that Gordon asked him to be quiet as yelling for one's team in a bar setting doesn't seem out of place.

And why are they always hanging out in the guest house instead of the main house?  I know Magnum lives in the guest house, but Higgins lives in the main house.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, susannot said:

That was a very dark episode.  Killing off Det. Childs and maybe even TC says end of the show to me.

I think that detective had a limited run as he was filling in for the position.  And pretty sure TC isn’t being killed off.  Just a suspense plot.

• Like 5

Juliet went UC as the new doctor is ridiculous. How come a hospital administrator couldn’t recognize the doctor she recently hired. No CV? No checking of references? Anyway, uninteresting case.

Am not worried about TC, he’ll be fine. When Det. Childs started to refer TM & gang as his friends, we all know the end is coming.

For someone who can afford a fancy car and share custody of a child, I don’t understand why Rick would choose a houseboat. It isn’t a practical choice.

Gordie’s story? Yawn… On a shallow note, Dennis’ Medusa hair is quite disturbing and distracting. It isn’t a flattering hairstyle. 😣

• Like 1
3 hours ago, susannot said:

That was a very dark episode.  Killing off Det. Childs and maybe even TC says end of the show to me.

Keep in mind the most famous Magnum PI episode because Magnum and Rick flat out murdered a Russian spy, Ivan as he was being deported. 

A lot of stuff that happened to Detective Childs, Magnum's police contact is close enough to what happened to Mac the Naval Intelligence contact in the legacy show's 2 episode ex POW's related story.  Meanwhile instead of being shot  TC was a psychological casualty and out of the fight due to Ivan as the episode reached its conclusion.

So I am concluding that even if the reboot show already burned "Ivan" in an earlier season they are now going through a version of the story which is famous for having the hero antagonist  actually murder someone and not back out at the last second as just about all TV shows end. Now it is something that might happen with the anti-heroes of basic cable but never the babyface heroes of broadcast network shows up to that point.

10 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Juliet went UC as the new doctor is ridiculous. How come a hospital administrator couldn’t recognize the doctor she recently hired. No CV? No checking of references? Anyway, uninteresting case.

Am not worried about TC, he’ll be fine. When Det. Childs started to refer TM & gang as his friends, we all know the end is coming.

For someone who can afford a fancy car and share custody of a child, I don’t understand why Rick would choose a houseboat. It isn’t a practical choice.

Gordie’s story? Yawn… On a shallow note, Dennis’ Medusa hair is quite disturbing and distracting. It isn’t a flattering hairstyle. 😣

Yes! Juliet showing up as the doctor made no sense. I work in HR. That's not how it works, it's not how any of it works. Even if she was hired unseen, she would have had to present an ID to complete her I-9 paperwork when she showed up. Yeah, yeah...I know it's a tv show, but really?

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Jackie14 said:

Yes! Juliet showing up as the doctor made no sense. I work in HR. That's not how it works, it's not how any of it works. Even if she was hired unseen, she would have had to present an ID to complete her I-9 paperwork when she showed up. Yeah, yeah...I know it's a tv show, but really?

On the other hand wouldn't that type of HR work be mostly offsite? In any case even if we don't have the never ending stories of Juliet's MI6 service like we did with Jonathan Quayle back in the day I would just handwave that her skills went further than sitting at a computer screen.

• Like 1

Eh, I kind of liked the Juliet plot and the twist that it wasn't the hospital administrator trying to keep patients to make money, but the guy keeping his cousin sedated so he could steal his business/money.

BUT, I'm pissed about Childs.  I like him and his interactions with Magnum.  I was happy when he was telling his girlfriend he might stay and then....

not happy.

• Like 4

Another show/episode that followed the "hey, the familiar guest star did it!" rule. I just couldn't decide if it was going to be Ellen Tamaki or Sarah Jane Morris. Tamaki it is! (I've liked her for years - I hope she lands a regular part in something in the near future.)

My money is also on Shammy (also a vet) taking out the attacker, who probably doesn't know he's there.

I was hoping for at least a voice over cameo from Taylor Wiley's H5-0's Kamekona as anther pilot in on the search with Shammy. But when they showed what looked like a sawed off shotgun Shammy used I had a flashback of original show of Rick going to jail on an illegal weapons charge

For all of her money and experience you would have thought she would have changed hideouts when a man went missing.

I really enjoyed this episode (and my belief is that TC will eventually recover the use of his legs-but it could be a really interesting arc).  Everyone came through for each other and there was a good bit of tension throughout the episode-I actually wondered if the actors who play Rick and TC wanted out of their contracts and leave the show so I didn't know if both of them would come through.  I liked the last scene with the three guys together.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Childs was actually likeable and would have been a great partner-like companion for Katsumoto and the PIs.

I agree - he was like "early Magnum" Katsumoto....someone who could have been a good foil for both Gordy and the PI team. Plus, there was a potential new character in his long-distance girlfriend. 

I guess they're not making too many long-term plans with this show though, or committing to more regulars. (sniff)

I liked the last episode, but it didn't feel much like a season finale at the end. (And I know there are more episodes, but probably not for a long while.) I would also guess that TC will regain use of his legs, but it will be a dramatic arc. 

One disappointment: I thought we'd finally get some closure for Rick and his erstwhile girlfriend after this ordeal....if not a wedding, then maybe an engagement? I was surprised that didn't happen when they were reunited.

• Like 2
On 3/14/2023 at 3:19 PM, seacliffsal said:

I enjoyed this episode.  I liked seeing more of the supporting characters-however, I missed the fact over the last four years that Magnum had a mouse.  Oh well.  Glad the Magnum/Higgins secret relationship is a secret no more.  Oh, and happy to see the Lads again!

We were watching a season 3 episode today, and Juliette gave him the mouse after he talked about his pet mouse dying as a child.  I hadn’t remembered it either.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

I think that COVID hitting and their dropping all the 5-0 contacts and reoccurring cast  down to the Big 4 +2 hurt the show just as it should have turned the corner. 5 years though was not a bad run.

Edited by Raja
  • Like 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, Raja said:

I think that COVID hitting and their dropping all the 5-0 contacts and reoccurring cast  down to the Big 4 +2 hurt the show just as it should have turned the corner. 5 years though was a bad run.

Writer's strike can't be helping matters at all, either.

EDIT:  Wait.  Did they already have the last 10 episodes written and even filmed already?   I ask because the site I usually go by for show titles info already has eps 11-20 of this last season already named.

17 hours ago, LizDC said:

Didn't I read, a few times during the middle-to-end of S5's first half airing run, that the viewing numbers were really low?

Putting it on Sunday nights did the chances of viewer numbers success no favors.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36

48 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Writer's strike can't be helping matters at all, either.

EDIT:  Wait.  Did they already have the last 10 episodes written and even filmed already?   I ask because the site I usually go by for show titles info already has eps 11-20 of this last season already named.

Didn't I read, a few times during the middle-to-end of S5's first half airing run, that the viewing numbers were really low?

Putting it on Sunday nights did the chances of viewer numbers success no favors.

https://hiddenremote.com/2023/06/23/magnum-pi-season-5-not-returning-new-episodes-2023/

Does Magnum P.I. season 5 part 2 have a release date?

Unfortunately, no. We only have a release window which is the midseason, as mentioned above. This mean the second half of season 5 could  premiere anywhere between January and March 2024. It depends on NBC’s schedule and, unlike La Brea, Magnum P.I. doesn’t have a projected release time frame like “the start of 2024.”

Season 5 did premiere in February 2023 so perhaps the series will return with new episodes around that time next year. We’ll keep you posted.

Is Magnum P.I. season 5 part 2 filming?

Hawaii News Now reports filming wrapped on the fifth season back in April. So the back half of the season would be in post-production right now. However, the WGA strike is going on which has grounded much of Hollywood to a halt and, depending on how long the strike lasts, we could be seeing delays for both NBC’s fall schedule and midseason schedule.

• Like 2

Revisit an article from 2 months ago re the ending of S05 part B.    

Magnum P.I.'s Boss on Those Cliffhangers, a Better Call Saul Vet Casting, and What's Coming in Season 6

Given what you guys went through last year, do you have any contingency plans in the event that the show is either renewed or canceled at the end of this season? Have you guys shot any alternate endings?

Guggenheim: We did not shoot an alternate ending. The season does have a very clear ending; we feel that Part 2 ends in a very satisfying way. There's some closure there for a lot of the characters, but there's also things left unresolved that can be picked up in Season 6.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Good way to send the series off, I guess - Higgins delivering baby-Miggy - but yeah I am not really down with a 'Higgins pregnant' story line at the moment.

I mean Higgins being 'out in the field' with Magnum is a huge part of the show, and you're gonna take that away?  And you just know that before Higgins dramatically tells him to stop, Magnum is going to try & metaphorically bundle her (& the unborn baby) up in bubble wrap for protection.