Type keyword(s) to search

Magnum P.I. (2018) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought this episode was really good.  Several unexpected twists in the main story (at least to me) and I thought the secondary story was good as well.  I even liked that Higgins couldn't initially hack into the professor's computer (was that a series first?).  Definitely Cade's coming of age episode as well even though I am still confused as to why we never saw him as part of T.C.'s recovery story.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I thought this episode was really good.  Several unexpected twists in the main story (at least to me) and I thought the secondary story was good as well.  I even liked that Higgins couldn't initially hack into the professor's computer (was that a series first?).  Definitely Cade's coming of age episode as well even though I am still confused as to why we never saw him as part of T.C.'s recovery story.

I totally agree on all counts, especially curious about Cade too since they bothered to do a storyline for him….why not when he was needed most for TC?

• Like 1

S05•E18 - Extracurricular Activities

The camping trip storyline is kind of disappointing. Excited to see the boys bonding over fun campfire activities etc. but all we’ve got is uninteresting encounter with randos. This is the first time we see Cade and Dennis sharing scenes but the writing doesn’t appreciate it at all.

Kudos to Perdita Weeks for directing this episode (with a lot of scenes involving stunts) without reducing screen time for Juliet. 👏🏻

• Like 3

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D., S.W.A.T., NCIS: Sydney, Reacher, La Brea and More!

Funny, I had suggested to Magnum‘s Zachary Knighton that a future NCIS: Hawai’i case could/should lead Tennant’s team to Rick’s tiki bar, but… I, alas, must report that said set has already been claimed by NCIS: Hawai’i (and is being modified enough to not be recognizable as La Mariana).

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Chicago Fire, Monarch, S.W.A.T., Outer Range, Magnum P.I. Series Finale and More!

How “punchy” is the upcoming Magnum P.I. bedroom scene, from 1 to Very Punchy?

I’d say it’s quite punchy! Perdita Weeks did not undersell it. There is some skin to be seen/appreciated at the start of the actual series finale, as well as the promise of yet another shared shower….

Do you have a scoop on the last two episodes of Magnum P.I.?

I will say that Amy Hill, who plays Kumu, is fantastic in the first of the two final episodes airing this Wednesday. Very powerful material, and a wonderful performance. The finale itself has a good-n-twisty case that Thomas and Juliet need to crack with limited resources and in a short amount of time… or else.

(edited)

S05•E19 - Ashes to Ashes

Magnum and Higgins re-examine a fatal arson investigation at the request of TC and Mahina, leading to a sinister discovery. Kumu volunteers with Rick at a veterans’ crisis call center.

Airdate: January 03, 2024

S05•E20 - The Big Squeeze (SERIES FINALE)

Magnum and Higgins take a major step forward in their relationship; at the same time, the past comes back to haunt them when a previous suspect becomes their client; TC aims to scale up Island Hoppers; Rick gets a new business partner.

Airdate: January 03, 2024

Edited by Snazzy Daisy

Episode 19

The last chance for Kumu drama with the first call on the hotline being a suicide trope. Did we know her father committed suicide before, obviously Rick did?

The finale Episode 20

A bent Governor, well it used to be in the same universe as Hawaii 5-0 so that tracks.

If you are a cleaner it doesn’t do much good to shoot a cop at the scene. That’s more of a we lost this one right it off situation. How do you trust a blackmailer who already reneged on you? I guess Detective Katsumoto didn’t have the total story. Was the Governor’s resignation a sign that the duo would just live with the threat over their heads?

A 40 something Magnum deciding to go Captain America with a skilled hitman who had 20 lbs on him possible couldn’t turn out okay.  For a minute I was thinking of the original Magnum finale before they brought it back for  an additional season but it made no sense for Juliet to go alone for a Magnum finale.  And exactly how does a veteran SEAL empty his weapon with two wild burst of automatic fire?

The second surprise for the finale Kumu buys into the bar to go back to her Jonathan Quayle roots

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Was the Governor’s resignation a sign that the duo would just live with the threat over their heads?

Yeah I didn't understand that stuff about Bedrosian at all. So Thomas and Juliet just join the gang in the bar and don't mention being blackmailed? A happy-ish ending I guess with some loose ends.

• Like 2

S05•E20 - The Big Squeeze (SERIES FINALE)

Unplanned or not, that series finale is undoubtedly underwhelming. It doesn’t feel like a finale at all. No sense of closure for Thomas and Juliet when it comes to their relationship and also the blackmail plot. Sam Bedrosian gets away with everything.

The bedroom scene is overhyped. The lack of chemistry is distracting.

Ohh gosh, who cares about Suzy and Mahina? We don’t even get to see Shammy in the finale - another beloved character as important as Kumu. And where are the Lads - Zeus and Apollo? 🤦🏻‍♀️

Anyway, I will miss Gordie, TC and Shammy the most. 😢

• Like 4
On 1/4/2024 at 2:39 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

Sam Bedrosian gets away with everything.

He got away with it, BUT he apparently lost all of his leverage over many/all politicians, business people, etc. Obviously he would have been back in the next season to wreak more havoc, but I think the point was that his "empire" was destroyed.

I know he was a bad guy, but I just loved seeing Professor Lasky again!

On 1/4/2024 at 9:49 AM, Cress said:

So Thomas and Juliet just join the gang in the bar and don't mention being blackmailed?

If I were them, I would have made some immunity deal with the feds in exchange for the flash drive. With the show ending, I'm just going to assume that's what happened! Because it wasn't just them - it was Katsumoto who would have been implicated too. Even if they were willing to risk themselves, I don't think they would have risked him. So it stands to reason that a deal had been made.

In addition, I find it hard to believe that the audio evidence of Higgins and Magnum discussing the cover up would have been admissible (or even legal for the lackey to record). It also strikes me as something that could easily be faked with AI. The evidence on the flash drive was no doubt a lot stronger and compelling. 

On 1/4/2024 at 7:30 AM, Raja said:

A 40 something Magnum deciding to go Captain America with a skilled hitman who had 20 lbs on him possible couldn’t turn out okay.

I got stuck on Juliet's improbable jumping down the side of the building! But then, this is the 5-0 universe, so....

I'm sad it's ending, but it did end on a happy note. I would have liked to see Kumu co-managing the bar, though!

Does anyone know if Zach Knighton and "Suzy" are still together IRL?