Type keyword(s) to search

Magnum P.I. (2018) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

I loved Katsumoto tricking Magnum and Higgins!

Bit convenient that nobody ever asked about the money and the cops on site just ignored Magnum who wasn't exactly doing a stellar job hiding *handwaving*

I don't mind Jing and he was useful - as for the coincidence of him being at the vet clinic the perps showed up *more handwaving*

Rick becoming a father would be a nice change of pace for this show that likes to keep everyone single and/or in an endless loop of will they/won't they. But I'm not holding my breath. Rick's been the writer's room punching bag for emotional drama for quite a while now.

Its a good thing the *handwaving* isn't a literal thing with this series, because we'd be testing if its true or not that you can get carpal tunnel syndrome from just watching a TV show.

• LOL 2
19 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

The crew - it’s nice seeing (just) the boys hanging out, it’s been a while.

I'm not saying I'd be happy to watch a whole episode of the guys just chilling on surfboards...but I certainly wouldn't be switching the channel!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

If Magnum and Higgins are supposed to be such good pals and partners, how come he didn’t know she’d gotten some help from MI6 about the whole citizenship issue. I remember how big a problem that was when it first came up (understandably), but now no fuss, no muss. Was there even a point to that plot twist?

1 hour ago, DavidWeis1 said:

If Magnum and Higgins are supposed to be such good pals and partners, how come he didn’t know she’d gotten some help from MI6 about the whole citizenship issue. I remember how big a problem that was when it first came up (understandably), but now no fuss, no muss. Was there even a point to that plot twist?

To tease an illegal fool the immigration service marriage, even if they actually loved each other but wouldn't admit it to themselves

HPD's top cop, outside of 5-0 takes himself out to look for Cade's missing mom so Lia just happens to catch the case Magnum and Higgins are working on. And that case just happens to involve bent cops.

For some reason the unarmed duo goes into a house with guns to take fire and find a dying Jimmy Woo, And then Rick tags in so Juliet and Lia can do some bonding over their man Thomas. In the end the bent cops unknowing  take on a SEAL and Special Ops Marine. I do wonder if the navy or his uncle taught Magnum archery.

In the end it is good that Cade knows he wasn't just abandoned and can move forward with TC.

7 hours ago, Raja said:

wonder if the navy or his uncle taught Magnum archery.

“Un-bendy” sword play and rapid fire arrows from a compound bow! I’ll bet he’s well versed in the use of all types of weaponry, from a variety of sources. 

S04•E14 - Run, Baby, Run

Making Juliet befriends Lia is just a delay tactic for Miggy to happen. Geez, get it done already! 🙄

Rick has graduated from swaddling a papaya to delivering a real baby. Good job Papa Rick! 😆

My boy TC is really a great foster dad. I am more invested in TC/Cade’s storyline than Miggy.

BCBAB5E1-B8A1-497E-B977-A51E33F705AE.jpeg

• Love 3

Breathe...123...BLAM!

That whole scene was awesome. Magnum with the bow and arrow was pretty damn great.

Daddy TC is amazing. These two have such chemistry together, like a real father and son. Brought a tear to my eye. 

Edited by Sweet Tooth
  • Love 1

I didn't realize how much I missed this show until I watched this episode.  I find plenty of plot holes and nonsensical stories, but I actually do enjoy this show.  Full circle of the episode-Magnum explaining to Higgins that he took some kind of historic weapons course (when they were fencing) to the awesome use of the bow/arrows at the end of the episode.  I liked the paring of Higgins and Lia because Higgins doesn't ever seem to have any friends who weren't first Magnum's friends.  Oh, and I am so glad that in the previous episode Higgins signed Robin's Nest back to Robin so she no longer is the faux-owner.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I didn't realize how much I missed this show until I watched this episode.  I find plenty of plot holes and nonsensical stories, but I actually do enjoy this show.  Full circle of the episode-Magnum explaining to Higgins that he took some kind of historic weapons course (when they were fencing) to the awesome use of the bow/arrows at the end of the episode.  I liked the paring of Higgins and Lia because Higgins doesn't ever seem to have any friends who weren't first Magnum's friends.  Oh, and I am so glad that in the previous episode Higgins signed Robin's Nest back to Robin so she no longer is the faux-owner.

Come to think wasn't the legacy named  Agatha character a Magnum girl friend instead of Jonathan Higgins'? And then she was exiled to the mainland as most names from the original show besides the big 4 have been written out. They have even dropped the Navy having an interest in activating Magnum from any reserve commitment when the got rid of Captain  Buck Green

I think Kumu in taking over a lot of Jonathan's character traits has taken the time to have friends for Juliet.

(edited)

I was surprised Magnum killed so many of the cops.  I thought he would just wound them.  Not that it didn't make sense, I just don't remember this show having Magnum and gang killing much.  Maybe I'm confusing this with other shows that keep the body count down - by the main characters, not the bad guys.

Edited by Johann
  • Love 1
On 2/27/2022 at 2:17 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:

10th grade and driving? If he's any good at basketball, he should be solid as a senior.

I thought he was older than normal 10th graders and had to go back and pick up a few years that he missed.  Not that they said that, just an assumption.  If TC had to assure him that going back to school would be okay, I figure he missed some time.  Not enough to go straight for his GED, but some time.

• Love 1

I want my son back but I will make sure you can't function to get him back with my poison, okay. I will tell you my secret plan and then ask you to hand over your transmitting and recording phone. And nobody will think to check the history just to know things.  I am surprised that particular Yakuza clan survived. 5-0 must have taken out the good ones on the island.

By the way Min was acting at the showdown I was sure she was the undercover that flipped and Magnum was going to turn on her after laying out the case against Tower. For a community best know for cutting off fingers they sure didn't give us a reason for Tower trying for a payday. 

Levy Tran seemed a lot more mature than when she was on MacGyver

• Love 3
(edited)

Yeah, as far as villainous schemes go, poisoning someone who should find your kidnapped son isn't particularly smart. Luckily Magnum has a slow metabolism 🙄

As someone who hails from a place that takes tug of war very seriously I have to say that it's possible for a well coordinated team to take out a team that's heavier and bulkier. Key word is 'well-coordinated' - several folks on Magnum's team were merely holding on to the rope while the other team tumbled into the sand like characters from a silent film comedy skit.

I guess Levy Tran will be back? I liked her on MacGyver - not her fault that the writers decided to throw her character into a triangle of doom. Which might happen here again.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 1
(edited)

S04•E15 - Dead Man Walking

I love this episode except for the poisoning part, it doesn’t make sense. Osi Shima is one dull & unimaginative crime boss ever. I feel you Tower.

I can barely tolerate one Jin, and now there are two? Ugh. 😤

I like Levy Tran in this show. She looks more badass than the gentlemen. I hope we will see Tia Min again, she has great chemistry with Thomas. I want an episode that shows TM, TM and Lia working together!

B97E25DE-A44F-4FB1-A12D-47179772B174.jpeg

Among all, Juliet always has the worst style and wardrobe. Even Rick’s wardrobe is better than hers.

A6E2DE88-5AF0-4486-B2E9-DE304642F378.jpeg

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
On 3/2/2022 at 11:57 PM, Johann said:

I was surprised Magnum killed so many of the cops.  I thought he would just wound them.  Not that it didn't make sense, I just don't remember this show having Magnum and gang killing much.  Maybe I'm confusing this with other shows that keep the body count down - by the main characters, not the bad guys.

Going back to last week - definitely this. With help on the way and a woman in labor, I figured they'd just hunker down. But no! Total Rambo. Were those guys all cops, or just dirtbag friends of the one cop?

Not an expert, but I'm thinking if you kill a half dozen cops, even dirty ones, you won't be home for a glass of wine later that night. Questions, paperwork, you know...

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, highway61 said:

Going back to last week - definitely this. With help on the way and a woman in labor, I figured they'd just hunker down. But no! Total Rambo. Were those guys all cops, or just dirtbag friends of the one cop?

Not an expert, but I'm thinking if you kill a half dozen cops, even dirty ones, you won't be home for a glass of wine later that night. Questions, paperwork, you know...

If they still share a fictional universe with Hawaii 5-0 and their death rate for HPD officers a few dirty cops which Magnum saved HPD from dealing with would hardly be noticed.

The paper work, psychological evaluations and investigations are only in force on the very special episode of cop shows.

• Love 2

So characters, so friend of Juliet that I don't recognize is shipping Miggins. I guess there is no turning back now.

After no 5-0 mentions in a while first Noelani was name checked and now Sergeant Duke makes an appearance. You would think the task force would have snatched this case from Detective Katsumoto.

20 hours ago, Raja said:

So characters, so friend of Juliet that I don't recognize is shipping Miggins. I guess there is no turning back now.

Was that the love child of Kumu's late husband? It's been a while since we saw her last time. And I guess that was the same mountain stairs where Lori sprained her ankle on 5-0?

Oh, trying out cutsey portmanteaus - I see what you did there show. The main plot was  predictable but enjoyed Kumu and Rick pivoting between trying to be helpful and making fund of TC at the same time.

S04•E16 - Evil Walks Sofly

Hey Sgt. Duke Lukela, it’s good to see you!

BS moment:

Thomas to Juliet - “You know, I think my mom would've really liked you."

Yeah rrrrright 🙄

Adorable moment:

TC and cute Mahina… 

"An innocent man doesn't hide behind a tent flap when he sees a pretty girl…" 😂

D36F02B6-EF30-4057-98AF-EA720D46C896.jpeg

The pandemic is throwing me off we are in season 4 already. I am trying to remember a TC plot where he went through something, that cause him to ghost the firefighter. Now with classic Magnum I would immediately go to their Ivan making him a Manchurian Candidate.

9 hours ago, Raja said:

The pandemic is throwing me off we are in season 4 already. I am trying to remember a TC plot where he went through something, that cause him to ghost the firefighter. Now with classic Magnum I would immediately go to their Ivan making him a Manchurian Candidate.

I dimly remembered the episode - it was all very tragic. TC run into an old flame. When he had been MIA she had moved on thinking he was dead. They met by chance on her honeymoon to Hawaii (of course) and some passionate smooching took place. She was willing to leave her husband but of course TC being TC did the right thing. It was 'A Farewell to Love' *side-eye to the writers room* episode 16 of season 2.

• Love 1

So the kid tells Magnum and Higgins that he was forced to do it and then changes his story as soon as gets to the police station and neither of them wonder why he changed it at that specific point?   Surely they've both been in the business long enough to realize that he only changed his story when his saw his mother *and* the neighbour standing there. 

• Love 1

Yeah I suspected the neighbor guy as soon as the cops showed up at the house. I thought, "who would have called in a tip just then? Maybe the neighbor guy called the cops as soon as the mother called him. He's only pretending to help."

• Love 1

That whole 'shipping' talk between Higgy and the lady at the start of the last episode, then the extended wrist/hand touching and "My mother would have liked you" at the end....  we've graduated from mountain-sized anvils about "Miggy" to planet dwarfing ones.

If I rolled my eyes any harder at the obviousness, my whole body would rotate with them.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • LOL 1
(edited)

S04•E17 - Remember Me Tomorrow

I love this episode because Miggy is kept at a very minimum. Thank god!

Couldn’t care less about Suzy, hope she goes to have their baby offscreen. Rick/TC conversations are more interesting and meaningful than Rick/Suzy scenes.

Thomas reuniting Bob with Danny is heartwarming.

Ella’s dad is 🔥🔥🔥

I recognize Niall Matter from Hallmark movies. Hey writers, can we have Cole Vaughn as Juliet’s new love interest please! 😆

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 2
On 2/27/2022 at 9:55 AM, Raja said:

Agatha character a Magnum girl friend instead of Jonathan Higgins'?

Yes, but more companion than “girlfriend”. I got the impression that original Higgins appreciated the (seemingly) octogenarian’s intellect and attention to detail, rather than her potential as romantic partner (at a time when the industry felt no one wanted to see older folks in romantic relationships). 

14 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

I love this episode because of Miggy is kept at a very minimum. Thank god!

Couldn’t care less about Suzy, hope she goes to have their baby offscreen. Rick/TC conversations are more interesting and meaningful than Rick/Suzy scenes.

Ella’s dad is 🔥🔥🔥

I recognize Niall Matter from Hallmark movies. Hey writers, can we have Cole Vaughn as Juliet’s new love interest please! 😆

Of all the leading men from Hallmark, he seems to have landed the most network parts. I get the impression this was a solid “foot in the door” venture for him. I also recognized the child from somewhere, and appreciated her (un-precocious) performance. As for the Rick story-I appreciate this new character so much more than the original, “link-to-all-things-underworld” Rick. Enough to watch his story line progress, as long as they don’t dwell on it. 

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Ella’s dad is 🔥🔥🔥

He! Glad I was not the only one who noticed that. I was wondering if we've just met the next roadblock for Miggy. But since there's a kid involved I doubt it.

That was a good episode for Juliette, she hit all the right marks with the people she had to interact and was not Super-Higgins in the end. I also appreciated that her magic hacking was kept to a minimum.

I like Rick and so far his plot is working for me but I dread some baby drama. What are the odds Suzy will give birth without any major problems (hurricane, terrorists, obstetric complications)?

Katsumoto's shirt game remains strong and understated in a world full of Hawaii shirts

Magnum's plot was predictable and sweet.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

That was a good episode for Juliette, she hit all the right marks with the people she had to interact and was not Super-Higgins in the end. I also appreciated that her magic hacking was kept to a minimum.

Super Higgins solved the cold case in ONE day… 😱

• LOL 1
(edited)
54 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Super Higgins solved the cold case in ONE day… 😱

LOL! Yeah well, they always do that - and lab works gets done in mere hours tops instead of weeks, that helps. But she did not manage to spot the crazy lady in the reflection of the kitchen counter, dodge the attack and bring her down. Or at least get out of her shackles and whack crazy lady with a bit of furniture that she had karate-kicked into a weapon.  Both scenarios I expected to happen.

Edited by MissLucas
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, alexa said:

Maybe I forgot something about Suzy and Rick, but aI didn’t quite understand her distance from him.  It came across as very strange to me.  

Remember Rick was her boss until she was moving to the mainland. They did the deed once and she got pregnant. I am sure if others knew her story in 2022 that they would counsel distance and reassess rather than shotgun wedding

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Raja said:

Remember Rick was her boss until she was moving to the mainland. They did the deed once and she got pregnant. I am sure if others knew her story in 2022 that they would counsel distance and reassess rather than shotgun wedding

I thought they had decided to be a couple or something, and were kind of close.  And I wasn't saying they should rush things, just found her reaction to him very awkward given that they liked each other more than what she was showing.  At any rate, they can be as slow as they want to, lol.  

• Love 2
On 4/2/2022 at 4:34 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

I love this episode because Miggy is kept at a very minimum. Thank god!

Ella’s dad is 🔥🔥🔥

I love Niall Matter.  I first saw him on Eureka and then Primeval: New World (which I actually liked).  I always enjoy seeing him when he pops up.  

• Love 2

Magnum P.I.'s Jay Hernandez Talks Directing a 'Ghost' Story, His 'Miggy' POV, Why Renewal Doesn't Worry Him

TVLINE | Are there any developments for Thomas and Juliet (played by Perdita Weeks) in this episode?
To some extent, it’s building up to something that’s going to happen in the season finale (airing May 6). We’ve teased this relationship dynamic for a while, and the audience wants to see what’s going to happen with that. So, we’re doing something with that in the finale that’s pretty interesting. But ultimately, at least in my mind, I don’t think they should be together.

TVLINE | I was going to ask, what excites or interests you about them perhaps one day getting together, and what concerns you if that happens?
Well, my perspective is that if that happens, it’s at the end of the show. Not the end of the season, but the end of the entire show. So, I don’t think it’s going to happen anytime soon. I think that tension and the dynamic between Higgins and Magnum is a big part of why the show works, and if you take that away and they become a couple, the show loses a lot, and it would change in so many different ways. So, yeah, I feel like we’d kind of rob ourselves of some great stuff if we got into that too early.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Magnum P.I.'s Jay Hernandez Talks Directing a 'Ghost' Story, His 'Miggy' POV, Why Renewal Doesn't Worry Him

TVLINE | Are there any developments for Thomas and Juliet (played by Perdita Weeks) in this episode?
To some extent, it’s building up to something that’s going to happen in the season finale (airing May 6). We’ve teased this relationship dynamic for a while, and the audience wants to see what’s going to happen with that. So, we’re doing something with that in the finale that’s pretty interesting. But ultimately, at least in my mind, I don’t think they should be together.

TVLINE | I was going to ask, what excites or interests you about them perhaps one day getting together, and what concerns you if that happens?
Well, my perspective is that if that happens, it’s at the end of the show. Not the end of the season, but the end of the entire show. So, I don’t think it’s going to happen anytime soon. I think that tension and the dynamic between Higgins and Magnum is a big part of why the show works, and if you take that away and they become a couple, the show loses a lot, and it would change in so many different ways. So, yeah, I feel like we’d kind of rob ourselves of some great stuff if we got into that too early.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I totally get JH's feelings about the show "losing a lot" if they have Magnum & Higgins become a couple before the series ending - this exact thing killed Castle, from my own personal POV - but if that is the route they will go, the writers really need to dial back the numerous anvils in nearly every episode. 

Its long been known the question has changed from 'if', to 'when' Miggy will become canon.

• Love 2

Just a bit of interesting trivia for OS Magnum fans. The Veteran’s brother “Danny” (Robert Pine) appeared (uncredited) at least three times as Thomas’s (Sellick) late father. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

S04•E18 - Shallow Grave, Deep Water

Don’t really like this episode. Too much Miggy foreshadowing, it’s nauseating!🤮

Hey TC, you look so weird with that lampshade moustache. It’s fugly.

The only thing that I like is seeing Katsumoto riding his Ducati! 😎

• Love 1

1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

The only thing that I like is seeing Katsumoto riding his Ducati! 😎

I also liked Kumu's french twist adorned with flowers at the funeral (she usually does that but this was especially lovely).

I did not love that Hot Widower only called and did not appear in person 😒

The rest was pretty much painting by the numbers, deftly handled but not particularly exciting.

Of course the show's skittish about the Moonlighting curse - even if there are shows who managed to escape it, it's a risk you take when you go down the will they - won't they route 🤷‍♀️ As lang as that does not become the main focus of the show it can work out. Having a strong ensemble of interesting characters beyond the OTP helps.

1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

I did not love that Hot Widower only called and did not appear in person 😒

Yeah, that’s disappointing. But am glad that Cole Vaughn was mentioned. Hopefully we will see him again next season…🤞🏻

• Love 1

I'd actually rather see Magnum and Higgins become a couple than watch angst.  Why do TV shows think everyone likes watching sexual tension?  Well, maybe others do, but not me.  You actually can write about a couple that loves each other and works well together without ruining the show.  Writers, try that.  Be innovative.

But yeah, more Niall Matter would be nice.

• Love 3